new forum software

Posted By: LazyDog

new forum software - 03/30/08 18:30

with the new forum software running I'm missing a lot of functionalilty:

I loved the old way the forums were where I could look at the list of forums and see the # of new posts and replies which were colored differently.

before when I clicked on a message thread it would go to the newest message now it always starts at the beginning.

is there somehow to get these functionalities back? I could not find any settings to do this for my preferences.
Posted By: FBL

Re: new forum software - 03/30/08 18:58

at least the first functionality is there and working.
Posted By: jcl

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 08:35

In fact it's the old forum software, just a new version. As with any change, it might look unfamiliar at a first glance, but I hope you'll soon get used to it. It's just like going to A7 from A6.

Of course, the new version has the same functionality as the old version. For going to the last post of a thread, click on the date.

The import of the old forum database went almost, but not 100% smoothly. There were two problems:

- a few recent threads were missing,
- and all PMs you've ever received are in your message box again. So the first thing for you to do is deleting them, otherwise you can't receive new PMs.

If you encounter any other problems please post here.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 08:46

I like it \:\) Bout time for a change
Posted By: Joozey

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 10:28

Urrr, am I going crazy? The extra categories are back all of a sudden at the left, and I can't find the option anymore to turn them off...

Should I go find a doctor now? \:\(

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 10:35

My Stuff -> My Preferences -> Turn off the left (or right) column
Posted By: Excessus

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 14:20

I had bookmarked the old forum, and it still says "Sorry, our forums are temporarily closed while we perform some maintenance. Please try back later.".

Some people who did the same may not have found out that the new forum is now on another location. It would be nice if the old link redirected to the new forum, or at least tell the user that the forum has moved.

The old address is: http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=0&C=5
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 14:31

yep, had that problem also for a day xD
Just came here after Poison asked me about my oppion about the new forum

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 14:39

The old forum is redirected. You'll notice that when you click on a post.

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 14:47

But there aren't any post to click on, just the maintenance message? And every other link at the old forum page redirects to the same maintenance message...

I'd say, better make the whole link redirect to this forum. For those who have bookmarked the old forum may still wait for the maintenance to be fixed :P.
Posted By: Quad

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 15:13

a quote:
 Originally Posted By: jcl
The old forum is redirected. You'll notice that when you click on a post.

a codeblock:

Code:
	function samplecode();
	ENTITY* ETC;

function samplefunc(){
		while(1){
			if(!sampleloop){
				//lots of things done here
			}
			wait(555);
		}
	}
	function samplefunc2(){
		while(1){
			if(!sampleloop2){
				//lots of things done here #2
			}
			wait(222);
		}
	}

^
it is ok when it's a quote but, code blocks are a bit narrow and has a fixed width and a max height, maybe you can change width to something like 80% instead of 512px (css?). (this sliders makes it hard to read codes.)

and some text are missing:

But i like the new version. The stock(light) theme looks less messed up and more clean.

there is no use of it on this forum but i like this syntax colored php boxes \:D
 PHP:
$something = "weeeee, some php here"; while(true){ echo $something; }

and yes, when you click on a link from old forum it rdirects but if you go directly to this (old forum home) : http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0/C/3
it says something about maintance.
Posted By: LazyDog

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 22:12

Quote:
For going to the last post of a thread, click on the date.

actually, the old way would take you to the first new message and you could actually tell on the header of each message which were new.
unfortunately this version doesn't nicely make the header a different color nor does it go to the first new post but the last new post.

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 22:12

Proving quote from acknextown (myminicity) that not everyone has seen the new forum, and just waits for the mainenance to get over:

Quote:
[31/03] ello: i guess the forums down for ever \:D

Ever wondered why Ello hasn't shown up yet? :P
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: new forum software - 03/31/08 23:48

Could you somehow adjust the font size? It's damn small compared to the old forum. Raising the font size in the browser is rather annoying as all other websites are than displayed much too large.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 00:27

where can i see my address book.

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 00:44

Originally Posted By: Uhrwerk
Could you somehow adjust the font size? It's damn small compared to the old forum. Raising the font size in the browser is rather annoying as all other websites are than displayed much too large.

Clear your cache, the old css file probably still is in your cache.
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 01:27

Cleared the cache, still the same. Quotes and code are in very well readable size, text of postings is still very small.
Posted By: Quad

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 04:40

i think, only the blacj/red theme is modified (i mean font size.)
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 06:16

I had to switch to this ugly black/red theme now just to have bigger fonts q_q aweful.

Anyway, there is still something missing (dunno if mentioned yet), but the "all" link beside the page-links in a thread is not available anymore.
Posted By: ello

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 06:25

\:\) i guess you need glasses now

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 07:05

The other two themes are the default that comes with the forum software, and are meant to use small fonts. But maybe I can do big font versions of them.

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 07:20

yes, that'd be cool. 2Points more should be good
Posted By: Tiles

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 07:29

Would have been nice when the old forum link would mention that the old forum not longer exists. "Sorry, our forums are temporarily closed while we perform some maintenance. Please try back later" is not really a valid link to the new forum. And i am sure more than one still waits that the maintenance gets finished ;\)

Another thing i noticed is that the active topics link now opens all answers instead the threads with new answers. This is chaos. You will never ever find the answer to your own post that way. Too much postings. Could you please rethink this feature?
Posted By: broozar

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 08:39

this red theme reminds me on root login in debian...

it hurts the eye. what happened to the SciFi-Theme? isn't it compatible any longer?
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 08:40

Well it did indeed take some time until I found out about these new forums too.
I was always getting the "Sorry, down for maintenance" message and was getting frustrated ;\)

However I think the new forums are pretty cool. Although the text is really a bit small (using the bright/light colored template).
But what I really like:
- Switch to Full Reply Screen Button at the Quick Reply window
- Reason for notifying a thread to a mod
- The Gallery (instead of Showcase II)

Might take some time but I guess everyone will get used to the new look \:\)
Thanks Conitec but maybe change the message on the old forums?

edit: Just noticed .. the stars are gone! \:\( .. well they had no meaning anyway ;\)
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 08:56

the new forum is awful, period.
Posted By: Nems

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 08:59

Same here and as for this new stuff...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR !

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 09:06

i do not have posting permissins to the gallery. did that happen on purpose?

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 09:18

No, not on purpose. The Gallery is open for posting now.

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 09:43

thank you!

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 10:27

thanks for the bigfont theme
Posted By: vlau

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 10:28

Bold all new posts and threads would be nice.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 10:44

The big font theme is great. It feels much better now, thanks!
Posted By: Nems

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 10:55

Much better to read now \:\)
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 11:11

the ubb_dark style still has tiny fonts.
Posted By: flits

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 12:40

some times the forum show only for the half

i can see then only litec question to subject past(< a5)
the stuff on the left show up alright

workaurond just log out then log in
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 12:44

Well, at least it's back online again! \:\)

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 12:53

Thanks for the bright scheme with bigger fonts - a lot better to read \:\)

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 14:44

please disable image support for signatures. or this will get ugly very soon.

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 15:11

Originally Posted By: broozar
please disable image support for signatures. or this will get ugly very soon.

Yes, unless we agree upon a maximum size. You know those micro-banner things? The ones that aren't bigger than one line of text? I'd like to be able to have that.... anything bigger will get messy indeed.

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 16:17

yes, microbanners is funny. still, i like text sigs better, less to load, better to read, less wasted space.

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 16:28

Originally Posted By: broozar
still, i like text sigs better, less to load, better to read, less wasted space.

Absolutely agree otherwise you get something like this:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=120707&b=3

Often you cannot see what image is showcase and what is only signature. It looks messy, non-professional and makes reading way harder.

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 16:59

Yeah, I agree. Even though I have a very fast internet connection and don't mind a few extra images, I still wouldn't want the forum to become slow and unreadable either.

Re: new forum software - 04/01/08 22:21

I vote text sigs, definately.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: new forum software - 04/02/08 02:08

i disagree, i would rather just enable a size limit, something like 20-50 x 100-200. I believe you can tell a lot about a persons dedication by the work they put in they're sig, and am designing one right now specially for the this reason.

Re: new forum software - 04/02/08 08:40

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
I believe you can tell a lot about a persons dedication by the work they put in they're sig

I believe you can see that too by the way you mark up your text sig. If it looks nice and clean, it is just as good, and often reads better and faster than a complex render.

Then again, putting in a simple and good logo is probably the best. It get's annoying tho when one person posts alot of posts in one thread. Try pressing 'all' in the 'fun thread reloaded', Firo's shield is enhancing loading time quite alot :P
Posted By: RedPhoenix

Re: new forum software - 04/02/08 09:40

I have a suggestion conserning the forum link list. By now there is no link to the acknex resources, it's only in the bottom line of the forum. Please add a link to the link list on the left \:\)
Posted By: Frits

Re: new forum software - 04/02/08 10:11

When I login to the forum, I see where there are new posts. After I have looked at a new post and return to start the page, by clicking on Forums (top of the screen), all the forums are marked as read (no new posts).
Do I something wrong?
Posted By: Frits

Re: new forum software - 04/08/08 11:42

Thanks for answering my question.
For me this forum is unworkable, every time I have read a post and return to the board index all the posts are marked read and then I don't have any clue wich post I should read.
It maybe the same software, but the functionality is completely different.

Re: new forum software - 04/08/08 11:50

Frits: This is true. I experience the same. I have to re-load the page to get an updated list of unread posts.
The old forum software was able to recognize the back-button as well.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: new forum software - 04/08/08 12:05

i only had that problem with the old software. that's weird.

julz

Re: new forum software - 04/08/08 12:15

Why was the font of the bright scheme changed from Arial to sth more narrow?
I prefer Arial because it's better readable.

Re: new forum software - 04/08/08 12:17

Originally Posted By: JulzMighty
i only had that problem with the old software. that's weird.

Yes. It is. Especially in my case: I use several browsers (IE, Safari, Firefox) on several computers. But the problem is always there.

The old one worked fine with back-buttons.
Posted By: Tobias

Re: new forum software - 04/08/08 12:41

Maybe check your cookie settings? Internet forum problems are often caused by disabled or only partially enabled cookies. Check if cookies are allowed and then delete all the old cookies.
© 2024 lite-C Forums