turbulence textures abandoned?

Posted By: Joozey

turbulence textures abandoned? - 11/18/09 02:32

Have turbulence textures been abandoned? I can make it turbulating in WED but not during runtime. And I couldn't find any details on it in the update or forum (other than that various other users had the same problem, without helpful answers). They would have fit perfectly for this contest.

I know an animated water model/terrain can replace it, but that's not the same now, is it? I require flat turbulation. Is there some shader then that handles it? Then again, my notebook probably is not going to like all that shader stuff.
Posted By: jcl

Re: turbulence textures abandoned? - 11/18/09 08:18

Just use the turbulence material if you really want them. I don't think that your notebook will have problems with that. But normal water materials look indeed much better.

Re: turbulence textures abandoned? - 11/18/09 14:47

Thanks, will attempt applying this material.

Re: turbulence textures abandoned? - 11/18/09 17:02

Well, I do not know what's wrong but the turbulence effect wont work. The mtl_wireframe is functioning so the shader library and all are inmported correctly, yet assigning mtl_turbulence on my block isn't working at all. Only the ambient is altered a bit, no movement.

I can't be sure if it's my chipset being dumb or if I'm doing something wrong, but as I can't imagine what I could possibly be doing wrong, and since my chipset is choking on most games with shaders, I imagine the former is happening.

Re: turbulence textures abandoned? - 11/19/09 19:06

Just check the turbulence in the shader viewer for finding out if it works or not with your chipset. Wireframe is not a shader.

Re: turbulence textures abandoned? - 11/19/09 19:34

Ah thanks, I now see most shaders should work fine. So It's me doing something wrong.

Regards

EDIT: I see, it's only for terrains. This is all but convenient for me. It screws up the level design. This is a bummer.
Posted By: testDummy

Re: turbulence textures abandoned? - 11/20/09 06:46

"That one's on the list, but fine. Entry accepted."

Turbulence textures might be thoroughly abandoned by some.
However, map compiler options might make a difference.
Turbulent blocks might have turbulence HERE with map compiler option "Build BSP Map" or similar selected, and "Build Simple Map" + "Create Meshes" or similar NOT selected.
(HERE, turbulent blocks might be invisible with "Build Simple Map" + "Create Meshes" or similar selected.)

Hopefully, that is relevant, or at a bare minimum..."sparky".

Good luck with the contest.

Re: turbulence textures abandoned? - 11/20/09 08:22

The turbulence shader should also work with flat blocks and models; just make sure that they are properly tesselated. It's a vertex shader and thus won't work on a surface that contains no vertices besides the corners.

Also, the classic turbulence should still work for compatibility reasons when you compile your level in A6 mode, without meshes. But we can not recommend this. A7 mode is faster and has better lighting.
Posted By: FBL

Re: turbulence textures abandoned? - 11/20/09 11:01

Maybe someone should write a turbulence pixel shader to avoid this problem laugh
© 2024 lite-C Forums