.WRS Unpacker tool.

Posted By: AkorA

.WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/28/10 17:17

Hello,

I've got a tool that de-compiles every .WRS you throw at it, i want to make you aware of it by making this thread.

Thanks to this tool my work got stolen, so my question is: Could you guys make a new encryption method, seen as gamestudio is in danger?!

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: TechMuc

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/28/10 19:43

Hey AkorA,

I would suggest you to write directly to the support ( support @ conitec (dot) net ) - with an attachment of the decompile tool - do NOT post it here.
With the tool, it will be much easier for the support to analyse the tool and to take needed actions.

Greetings,
Timo
Posted By: AkorA

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/28/10 19:59

Originally Posted By: TechMuc
Hey AkorA,

I would suggest you to write directly to the support ( support @ conitec (dot) net ) - with an attachment of the decompile tool - do NOT post it here.
With the tool, it will be much easier for the support to analyse the tool and to take needed actions.

Greetings,
Timo

I was not planning on posting it here, but still thanks for pointing that out.
Posted By: Vinous_Beret

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/28/10 20:13

hi guys,my advice to is: try to use MOLEBOX,it's amazing software.give it a try,
and it's not expensive.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/28/10 20:19

packing is way overrated anyway. tongue you can always grab the artwork from ram with various tools. i don't know any AAA games that use strong encryption for their assets but the first thing every gamestudio user seems to need is 100% secure protection for their precious work. laugh

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/28/10 20:24

Originally Posted By: ventilator
packing is way overrated anyway. tongue you can always grab the artwork from ram with various tools.

that's true,but what is the other solution? 'if there is any'
Posted By: Hummel

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/28/10 22:16

sue every bastard who stole something from you tongue

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/28/10 22:42

sound's very effective brutal way, grin
Posted By: vertex

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/28/10 23:37

I think that packing/encryption is important. It prevents casual abuse.
If someone is hacking a wrs file, they are smart enough to know that what they're doing is wrong and some negative motive (not always) could be pushing them.

I think small developers are interested in encryption because their work represents the greatest weight of "company assets." There are no great buildings owned, big bank accounts or massive networks of computers etc.. The code, sound and art represent 100% of the value of the company, and it's intrinsic value to boot. This instrinsic nature adds to the issue. That is, for a startup the value of the code, sound and art could be very valuable or worthless. Most startups hope "valuable," and perhaps it is-- either way encryption is important for somewhat pragmatic reasons.

Posted By: Quad

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/29/10 00:45

wrs file format is not that complex anyway.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/29/10 01:02

Encryption is not to important in MY opinion, just the packing.
Packing the data makes for a tidier 'project' directory on the client
PC and can be seen as the 'first' layer of encryption, weak but there.

If someone has to 'hack' to open the packing then they know they are are performing "evil".

Heavy excryption is expensive, and still no guarentee to be safe.
A good hacker will still find a way in. Be it a custom-written extractor,
or a ram-scanner.

I prefer to use a simple packer, but have embedded signatures every asset,
so if someone does strip my assets and re-uses them, the signatures are still buried in them
and can be used as proof of piracy at a later time.
Posted By: Joey

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/29/10 08:19

use a code obfuscator and a watermark for textures, as evilsob said.
Posted By: jcl

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 12:27

You need no code obfuscator, except maybe for the free version.

From time to time rumors of mysterious "WRS decompilers" and "stolen artwork" come up, but so far it always turned out to be 100% bogus. It is technically not possible to decompile lite-C script from a WRS file. And at least to our knowledge, no artwork was ever stolen from a WRS.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 15:29

Hello JCL,

It is indeed impossible to decompile or get lite-c code from wrs since it's either compiled or packed into exe but, i gave it a try and written a small program and i can indeed unpack wrs files and get WDL and other packed art assets.

p.s. if you delete this post i will not be offended.
p.p.s.for clarification: I just written the program TODAY, and did not shared with anybody.(not planning to use this tool for any purpose or sharing it) Any other tools that may exist is not written by me.
Posted By: Lukas

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 17:22

Also, if you open a WRS file with a hex editor, you can notice that there are fragments of readable text. wink
Posted By: Petra

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 17:28

I can also write a small program that can unpack WRS files. Here is it:

function main()
{
char* packed_name = "model.pak";
char* extracted_name = "extracted.mdl";
file_cpy(packed_name,extracted_name);
}

It works when the WRS file is in the same folder as the script.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 17:55

it will only work if you know the filename, and the file extension is pak wink

the program extracts all files, without knowing the filename, including ones with extension other than .pak

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 18:10

If you're lucky, you can find readable filenames in the WRS. grin
Posted By: HeelX

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 18:16

file_cpy works for all Gamestudio-supported formats and pak-files. So, brute forcing all possible names of a file is always an option and maybe the best known attack when no information are available how the WRS format is built. Although, it would be clever to make a rainbow table with names of higher probability, though. This could be done by collecting filenames of game installations or open source projects for example (finding a "player.mdl" has a higher probability than "trdurfn.mdl", for instance).

If you can find models, you can read them out with the MDL7 lib and extract texture names (if extern). If you find WMB-files ("level01.wmb", "scene.wmb",...) you can use the public available WMB format description to read out names of used models. So, since WMB files usually contain much information - because they are crowded with models, sprites, terrain and so on - searching for them could be the best strategy. The same goes for WDL or .c/.h files, if the programmers statically defined model names or level names.

If you have such a brute force app, you only need fast computers and time to attack a WRS.

Happy brute forcing!

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 18:21

or you just go ahead and try to figure out the wrs format, which imo is much much easier grin
Posted By: HeelX

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 18:43

If this is possible, one might can do this, of course. Though, this procedure has to be repeated if the WRS-format changes.

Why don't you post your findings here? The first rule in cryptography is to publish protocols and how cryptosystems work so that possible attacks become visible and new procedures and algorithms can be used instead or old ones are being optimized to prevent future attacks.

Note: I do not provoke anyone to steal assets from foreign WRS-files or gamestudio games - I just think out loud that if it is in fact easy to break the WRS protection scheme why it should'nt be more secure..

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 18:46

I do not know if it's right to share my findings here, but if there is no objection from community and JCL i can share them.
Posted By: Superku

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 19:02

I don't care much for models, levels and the like, you can easily unzip all Quake3 art files for example, but I don't want my code to be stolen. I thought the whole code gets compiled into unreadable machine code, am I wrong?

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 19:07

yes for lite-c, no for wdl.

all code gets compiled in lite-c, but in c-script it's in the wrs file.
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 20:46

If there is a way to "crack" it, its better to state it,
so a new encryption can be designed,
than keeping it like it is, and have others use it uncrontrolled.

I suppose it just a matter of improving the current
packer, to make it save again.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 05/31/10 21:47

you can't really call the current wrs format encrypted. it looks more like a crude custom packing algorithm with some simple tricks like a substitution cipher for filenames. there also are those bit fields which tell if the following characters are used as-is or if they are offset/length pairs. you don't really have to be a cryptographer to figure it out.

why not simply use password protected zip files instead? would it be much slower?
Posted By: jcl

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/01/10 07:43

Yes, zip loads slower than WRS. A hard, uncrackable encryption would also make WRS loading somewhat slower, although we could implement this if required.
Posted By: Hummel

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/01/10 08:45

optional WRS versions would probably be the best solution

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/01/10 10:19

some shifting/shuffling based on the username/license password before or after compressing the data may be sufficent and fast enough if the key is saved in the exe/dll and not in the wrs.
Posted By: 3run

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/02/10 22:21

Guys is there any program that will pack my game in one .exe application? I use Extra version of Game Studio (so I use lite-c). I do not want any one to use my script from my current project. Molebox doen't work for me frown

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 10:43

There is Nacasi, but it often causes false alerts in antivirus programs.
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 14:51

The Nacasi Tool was nice back then, but it will result in constant
complains by virus programs.

Here the homepage

http://cnesm.i-networx.de/nacasi.htm

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 21:31

But is there any other programs? Even if not free. There must be some programs like that, I just do not even know how to search for them in the INTERNET grin

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 21:47

hi man,as i told you before,MOLEBOX is more than good,i don't understand why you can't use it!!.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 21:51

I tryed, but after packing an application made by it, doesn't work frown Sad like it is damaged or something frown

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 22:02

it work's fine to me.may be you are using an old version of the sofware,i think
the old version's have some issues with anti viruses software.
iam using 2.6.4 .
which version you'r using??

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 22:12

Also 2.6.4 but demo.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 22:17

This is the error message frown

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 22:21

Originally Posted By: 3run
Also 2.6.4 but demo.

may be that's the problem,but iam not sure though.
if you can give some detailed information i may be able to help you.
i prefer to PM me,(cause some people may have problems with wasted web space :D).

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 22:23

i think the problem is: because you are using the free edition!

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/03/10 22:23

Works now, thank you bro wink
Posted By: TechMuc

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 09:29

btw: http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?PHPSESSID=e22fedf5c4253dc4ab176cbfaee64527&topic=97699.0
or: http://www.woodmann.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-12672.html

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 09:37

will,interesting......i think even molebox is no longer safe
from these damn unpackers. mad

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 11:25

theortically, every pack can be unpacked.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 11:35

Actually, all packers that pack the whole game into one exe have to unpack all files into a temporary folder, which means they are exposed on the hard disk and you just have to find them with the windows search feature or manually.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 15:46

Damn frown

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 16:31

Quote:
Actually, all packers that pack the whole game into one exe have to unpack all files into a temporary folder, which means they are exposed on the hard disk and you just have to find them with the windows search feature or manually.

true,but i thought the packed software/game's files are automatically removed after the game is closed.

MOLEBOX FAQ:
Quote:
Does MoleBox extract packed data files on the hard disk?

No. All the necessary data are extracted directly into memory when they are required. Your files are safely stored in the package. The only exception is made up of fonts which are registered with WinAPI RegisterFont() function prior to using. This function require font file to be extracted on the disk.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 16:42

Quote:
Quote:

true,but i thought the packed software/game's files are automatically removed after the game is closed.

Yes, but you can just minimize the game and look for the files.

Quote:

MOLEBOX FAQ:
[quote] Does MoleBox extract packed data files on the hard disk?

No. All the necessary data are extracted directly into memory when they are required. Your files are safely stored in the package. The only exception is made up of fonts which are registered with WinAPI RegisterFont() function prior to using. This function require font file to be extracted on the disk.

Really? Then it's harder to find the files.
But I wonder how this works. Because to make the game run as if the files were on the hard disk, I think it has to create a virtual drive. And that would make it easier to steal the files.
Posted By: fogman

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 17:02

Quote:

Contrary to simple models (and perhaps common belief), the contents of modern SDRAM modules are not lost immediately when the computer is shut down; instead, the contents fade away, a process that takes only seconds at room temperatures, but which can be extended to minutes at low temperatures. It is therefore possible to recover any data stored in ordinary working memory (i.e. the SDRAM modules).[7] This is sometimes referred to as a cold boot attack or ice-man attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory

Just forget about 100% security, unless you work at / for CERN or something similar. wink

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 17:04

Quote:
Really? Then it's harder to find the files.
But I wonder how this works. Because to make the game run as if the files were on the hard disk, I think it has to create a virtual drive. And that would make it easier to steal the files.

i tried hard to find any file extracted of my game,but couldn't find any,iam not sure about the virtual drive though.
MOLEBOX FAQ:
Quote:
If the application and its data files are loaded directly to memory, does this set the minimum required RAM on the end-user computer equal to the overall application size?

No, we do not load all the data to the RAM in the same time. Only a small 'launcher' module is loaded, and it extracts the necessary data only when they are required.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 17:17

Quote:
Just forget about 100% security, unless you work at / for CERN or something similar.

hi budyy,iam not talking here about '100% security' of course there is nothing can insure you full protection"in computer world".but you ought to do you'r best,at least to make sure that no one"normal users" can have you'r contents.
even though,if "super user" or what ever succeed to unpack you'r content,then he knows what he doing,he know's that he cometing PIRACY.
3dgs one of the best protected software in the market,still,you can find allot of cracks for it on the NET.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 20:34

I did not quote the "damn" from 3drun, my fault.
It sounds like "I thought there is a 100% secure solution".
Iīm with you.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 21:12

It doesn't sounds like: "I thought there is a 100% secure solution" at all! As Vinous_Beret sad "in computer world" nothing can't be protected for 100%!

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 22:02

Sorry at all, I dunno that this comment would be taken so seriously.
I want to say that we have to live with a certain grade of uncertainty.
But I believe there are a lot of easier ways to get AAA content at Rapidshare & Co.

Conitec has a big advantage, because they combine the identity of the user with the engine.
So they track down every warez bunny quite easy.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 22:19

Quote:
Sorry at all, I dunno that this comment would be taken so seriously.

no,not at all,don't be,you'r comment show's a good point wink
Quote:
I want to say that we have to live with a certain grade of uncertainty.
But I believe there are a lot of easier ways to get AAA content at Rapidshare & Co.

true..
Quote:
Conitec has a big advantage, because they combine the identity of the user with the engine.
So they track down every warez bunny quite easy.

true too,but iam pretty sure that there is allot of people are using 'FUll cracked version of 3dgs',even in this forum there are some of them.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 23:08

Fully agreed with Vinous_Beret laugh

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/04/10 23:46

This might be true, if you call cracked betaversions "full versions".
They are full of bugs, the warezuser canīt release published projects,
and he canīt hope for help on the forums because the version is outdated.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 07:38

not the tow BETA versions '7.0.5' and '6.22',i meant you can download any virsion of 3dgs let's say '7.84',download the patch program,apply the patch,
now you have the professional full version of 3dgs.

i can't give the patcher name,you know!! grin
but if you want,i'll do it to prove my point.damn PIRACY.. mad
but any way,this is off topic,

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 07:40

No, you canīt. It might say 7.84 then, but the cake is a lie.

Quote:

Q: Help! Your software is very buggy! The camera behaves strange, collision detection seems not to work right, sometimes files are not found, and WED often even won't start my level.
A: We think you might be the proud owner of one of the two early beta versions that leaked to the warez scene: 6.20 and 7.05. Both don't work very well as you certainly noticed. Sometimes the version number is patched for letting them appear as different versions (such as 7.07 Pro or 7.70 Pro) . Please contact Support for getting a working, legal Gamestudio version. We won't prosecute you as long as you don't distribute the illegal version further, or publish anything created with it. If you do, it can become expensive ($900 per copy, plus legal fees). If you're short on money, just download Gamestudio / lite-C - it's legal and free.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 07:57

man,the 'acknex.dll' still the same,but it patches another *.dll i don't want to say its name"again",and add's 'ack6p.key' to the game folder.
after that you can try any feature related to 'A7 7.84'.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 08:14

Well, then your argument is pointless, because you have to proove your claim.
Otherwise itīs just "bogus" like jcl said.
So, Iīll gladly believe conitec, because they know the backgrounds.
They are not half as naive as we might think.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 10:08

It is bogus, it does indeed patches all versions, but never properly works. I had some research about this on Turkish Community where once there were a lot of warez users before the free version. It is not so diffrent than the 7.05 stuff on the internet, buggy and newest features just do not work or crash.
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 11:30

Just a question:

One of the Pro users must be the cracker, or am I am wrong? Or why are the cracked once just Beta?

Any why just the betas get cracked?

These Warez users are just wasting my time, when i want to answer them...
Posted By: Lion_Ts

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 19:34

No, you don't need pro.
You need wrs, any GS and need some free time to unpack data.
Actually, this is the pointless discussion.
I don't see any so critical data that should be hidden. If it's so critical then defend it in other way, copyright it for example wink
Because there is the simple rule: if someone can build something then someone other can break it. It depends on time/money available, motivation, etc.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 20:01

I mean, one of the Pro users must be the cracker of A7/a6/a5 itself .

Because the Beta Version are just for pro users, and just that get cracked...

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 20:35

it would be extremely stupid if a pro user cracked his own version. tongue actually all it would take is some kind of trojan to steal it from someone else. this embedded name thing has the downside that someone could get into big trouble without his own fault. so better be cautious with "hey look at my new game with online highscore" threads in the showcase forum.

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 20:37

Quote:
I mean, one of the Pro users must be the cracker of A7/a6/a5 itself .
Because the Beta Version are just for pro users, and just that get cracked...

well,may be.

conitec support F.A.Q:
Quote:
A: We think you might be the proud owner of one of the two early beta versions that leaked to the warez scene: 6.20 and 7.05. Both don't work very well as you certainly noticed

I wonder how these tow beta versions leaked to WAREZ'as Rei said'!
may be,3dgs beta versions got HOLES!!so they accidentally laked to warez scene!! grin

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 20:37

Yeah, i thought about that too...

But someone always has to start - if a audio cd gets ripped, someone has to buy it too at the beginning...

Re: .WRS Unpacker tool. - 06/05/10 21:05

You don't necessarily have to be a pro user to get the beta version. jcl may let you into the Beta Forum if you ask nicely. So it could have been an Extra or Commercial user who cracked the beta version.
Also, a user might have given someone else a beta patch and that other user might have modified it so that it always thinks it's a Pro edition. You can then never know who first gave him the beta or who cracked it.
© 2024 lite-C Forums