captchas

Posted By: Kartoffel

captchas - 09/11/13 10:29

Hey there,

I know, this isn't the right sub-forum to ask but I don't know which one would fit better.

Posts by spambots are getting more and more frequent and this is extremely annoying.

Although most of these posts get deleted by mods within a couple of hours it would be much better (and less annoying) to add a captcha when creating new threads and/or when registering.

regards, Kartoffel.
Posted By: jcl

Re: captchas - 09/11/13 10:32

We plan to add captchas. However they are easily overcome and won't prevent this kind of spam, so they are more a placebo. Manual deletion will still be necessary.
Posted By: Kartoffel

Re: captchas - 09/11/13 10:35

Thanks for the answer.

And at least spambots shouldn't be able to pass the captcha.

(systems like reCaptcha are actually pretty secure against bots)

Re: captchas - 09/11/13 10:38

Unfortunately, they can. There is a very easy method for spam bots to solve captchas. No image analysis required.
Posted By: Rackscha

Re: captchas - 09/11/13 10:42

@JCL: if you talk about the Voice-Abuse, that's been fixed long time ago(afaik)

Re: captchas - 09/11/13 10:45

What is the Voice-Abuse?
Posted By: Rackscha

Re: captchas - 09/11/13 11:21

Most Captchas have an option to listen to the Captcha. These soundfiles were used last year, as it was VERY easy to use speech-recognition on them to get the characters. Todais captcha-sounds include some subtle(a human can not hear it) noise to prevent this.
Posted By: Error014

Re: captchas - 09/11/13 12:14

For what it's worth, we've had Captchas on the Dungeon-Deities forums and there were still spambots posting.

Not saying that maybe Captchas haven't improved in the meantime, so perhaps nowadays they're able to stop them, just adding another datapoint.

Re: captchas - 09/11/13 12:16

What I meant was not some speech recognition, but the Russian servers where you can upload a captcha image and get immediately back the letters, for a small fee. This works for all captchas, so they do not block spambots.
© 2024 lite-C Forums