Feature of the Engine

Posted By: grazer17

Feature of the Engine - 01/21/15 01:18

Good Day,
I bought a few years ago the A6 Version.
So I thinking to come back to the engine at the moment.
Is ther a Roadmap avalibe?
Does the Development of the engine goes forward?

Many thanks for the Information
Posted By: sivan

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/21/15 09:19

hehh, previously there was a Forecast page available from the Forum on the left side menu, I just realized that it disappeared!
the development is apparently stopped, there said to be no manpower available for it, only Zorro seems to be running...

but current A8 is definitely much better than A6 was.
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/21/15 11:22

In the manual, under 'upgrading & new features' you can the changes from 'A6 to A7' and from 'A7 to A8', besides specific patch notes.

I also found the 'forcecast' in the manual but it could be outdated:

http://manual.3dgamestudio.net/forecast.htm

Atm engine dev. does not seem to go forward, but that could change perhaps. I thought JCL said not so long ago that now(/then) he had more time for it. Don't get your hopes up though.
Posted By: rayp

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/22/15 16:13

Its really time to kill, at least(!), some known bugs with an update, 4my taste. frown
Posted By: RealSerious3D

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/23/15 21:53

Originally Posted By: sivan
hehh, previously there was a Forecast page available from the Forum on the left side menu, I just realized that it disappeared!

There is still a Forecast link at the bottom of the page, far right.
Posted By: jcl

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/26/15 13:19

Lacking new forecasted features, the forecast is not a very interesting page at the moment.

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/26/15 13:48

Will it become an interesting page again?

Is the lack of 'workforce'/employees the main obstacle? Would making it a partly open source (except for some central key points so your are still in control if you want) help with that? I have seen this (dedicated) community doing amazing things with this engine, perhaps making it partly open source could help removing the obstacles they face in their work while effectively update the engine. Community updates could than be converted to official updates, saving alot of work. Heck, even if some of the community updates require payment it would be worth it.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/26/15 14:14

I think it was discussed once as an impossible thing due to legal reasons, not allowed for some parts of the engine.

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/26/15 16:25

Oh that makes sense, I forgot that. How about working with e.g. ini files than for a few key parts? Would that be allowed? Or would that be not be reliable enough?

Or perhaps contests where the community can jump in to solve some problem the team is facing or add a feature that the team does not have enough time for to implement themselves.
Posted By: jcl

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/26/15 18:12

We do provide the source code in very special situations - mainly when a customer is working on a large project and can not continue it without the source for some reason. But the source is not prepared for a public release to the community.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/26/15 18:28

I've heard it may contain chinese comments.

Re: Feature of the Engine - 01/26/15 20:00

Originally Posted By: jcl
We do provide the source code in very special situations - mainly when a customer is working on a large project and can not continue it without the source for some reason. But the source is not prepared for a public release to the community.
, okay thanks for answering.
© 2024 lite-C Forums