3D modeler that exports to MDL files?

Posted By: jeffmorris

3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/16/07 19:46

Which 3D modeler can export 3D models to MDL files?
Posted By: 3DRichard

Re: 3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/16/07 20:28

If you're asking which modeling program can do that, then Blender can.

Re: 3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/16/07 21:08

Blender exports 3D models to MD2 but not MDL. Game Studio WED doesn't load MD2 files. MED can import MD2 files and export to MDL files but I want a 3D modeler that can export 3D models to MDL files without having to do extra steps.

Re: 3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/16/07 21:58

Blender can, you just need to use plugin. export_3dgs_mdl7
extract and put this file in C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts

then you will be able to export directly to mdl format.

Re: 3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/17/07 09:54

3DRichard, how do I export 3D models to MDL files using the Blender plug-in? If I texture 3D models in Blender and export them to MDL files, how do I have the textures show up in WED?

Re: 3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/17/07 14:36

when the exporter window opens, choose internal texture and then export
Posted By: ratu65

Re: 3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/17/07 17:24

Gamespace can do, with ..save as...
3dsMax can do with PlugIn.
See Download-page at 3dgamestudio: max2mdl. Its free.

Milkshape also.

Re: 3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/17/07 22:23

In Blender, I textured a cube and rendered it. I saw a textured cube in the render window. I exported the cube to MDL file with internal texture. I get an untextured cube in WED. I tried again with UV mapping but I get an untextured cube in WED. Do I have to do anything special in Blender? A cube that's 2 square grid units long, high, and wide in Blender is very tiny in WED.

Re: 3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/18/07 08:17

when you're in the UV Face Select mode, you need to press the button in the UV window that i marked , then select the texture that you need on your model.

Also set your 3d view draw type to Textured, if you don't see your model textured in blender's 3d view, then you will get your models untextured in med

Re: 3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/21/07 09:28

When I create a 3D model in Blender or Milkshape, export it to MDL file, load it and a 3D character into WED, create a walk-through script, build the level/map, and try to run the game, the character falls through the floor of the 3D model. How can I fix the problem? What's the difference between "Build Simple Map" and "Default Build" in "Map Compiler" dialog box? I know that "Build BSP Map" takes the longest time.
Posted By: 3Dski

Re: 3D modeler that exports to MDL files? - 08/22/07 00:26

I just created a simple test with one of my own test models, without doing anything special and it stayed exactly where I put it. I used "Object/Add entity..." to insert my model, because it is not static (has animation). I don't know if "Add model..." has a different affect; I didn't try this.

Using "Build BSP Map" on small test levels does not take a lot of time. Regardless, it needs to be used at least once. After that, you can use the alternative options; 'Update lights", if you changed or added lights, "Update entities", if you changed, updated, deleted entities. I believe "Simple map" is used to create map entities... static prefabs, for instance, that don't required modelling in MED.
© 2024 lite-C Forums