Posted By: Doug

Template7 (“t7”) public beta release #1 - 10/18/07 03:14

---SEE Template7 ("t7") public beta release #2" for the new instructions.---
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: Template7 (“t7”) public beta release #1 - 10/18/07 03:47

No problem with the steps here.
Posted By: RobH

Re: Template7 (“t7”) public beta release #1 - 10/18/07 05:08

No problems with this way. But i can´t run the level. I get a windows error message: Acknex.exe must be closed. I have run it with the last beta(7.07).

After playing a little bit with it i have looked into the project manager. In the notes stands: Behavior File: Behaviors.xml (t7)
Bad Components: XML MISSING!
Camera File: Cameras.xml (proj)
UI File: UI.xml (proj)
Animation File: Animations.xml (t7)
Weapon Def File: Weapons.xml (t7)

Maybe the error comes with the missing xml?
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: Template7 (“t7”) public beta release #1 - 10/18/07 07:15

The steps are ok but can't found flare0.pcx and not run
The acklog are ok (excect for the file not found)
I try to check in my laptop, if a problem with my system
A long time ago I ahve the same problem with the shader preview application

Quote:

Log of A7 Engine 7.07.1b run at Thu Oct 18 08:35:08 2007
Felix on Windows NT/2000/XP version 5.1 Build 2600
Options myproj.c -nx 30 -wnd -diag

App C:\Archivos de programa\GStudio7\acknex.exe in C:\test\
MM mixer opened
DSOUND device opened
DI interface opened
Start Window opened
(c)Conitec . Dieburg . San Diego . www.3dgamestudio.com
A7 Engine - Pro Edition V7.07.1b - Oct 8 2007
Beta version
Registered to: *******

Mouse found
Realtek AC97 Audio opened
RADEON 9800 PRO pure T&L device 1ff9 detected
D3D device RADEON 9800 PRO 1ff9 selected
Compiling MYPROJ.C - [Esc] to abort....
PATH C:\Archivos de programa\GStudio7\code\
PATH images\
PATH includes\
PATH maps\
PATH models\
PATH sounds\
PATH textures\
PATH C:\Archivos de programa\GStudio7\templates\t7w_outdoor
PATH C:\Archivos de programa\GStudio7\templates\images
PATH C:\Archivos de programa\GStudio7\templates\includes
PATH C:\Archivos de programa\GStudio7\templates\maps
PATH C:\Archivos de programa\GStudio7\templates\models
PATH C:\Archivos de programa\GStudio7\templates\sounds
PATH C:\Archivos de programa\GStudio7\templates\textures
PATH C:\Archivos de programa\GStudio7\templates\
t7.dll opened.... ....
FLARE0.PCX: Can't open file - any key to abort
Program aborted .
Running MYPROJ.C.
Cancelled - any key to abort
Program aborted
Shutdown
Close level,DLL,objects
Free input,funcs,panels,defs,syns,views,strings,vars..ok
Free sounds,bmaps,fonts,hash,defs1,script..ok
Close dx,multimedia,D3D,engine,physics,nexus..ok
Registered to: *****
Close window

Note: The files are in the place (flare0.pcx) if I change the name to other avalaible file then not found also)
Can be a problem with case sensative?
In this evenig I install in my laptop I see if have the same problem
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Template7 (“t7”) public beta release #1 - 10/18/07 16:31

This must be my birthday!

Thank you for releasing this so soon. I'll provide you with all the feedback you can take.

Downloading now..
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: Template7 - 10/18/07 18:43

after level loads engine crashes and offers to send microsoft a report
here's acklog

Quote:

Log of A7 Engine 7.07.1b run at Thu Oct 18 22:38:34 2007
Alex on Windows NT/2000/XP version 5.1 Build 2600
Options myproj.c -nx 30 -diag

App E:\A7\acknex.exe in C:\testbla\bla\
MM mixer opened
DSOUND device opened
DI interface opened
Start Window opened
Beta version
Registered to: Alexey Rozhkov

Mouse found
SB Live! Audio [A000] opened
RADEON 9250 Series pure T&L device 1ff9 detected
D3D device RADEON 9250 Series 1ff9 selected
Compiling MYPROJ.C - [Esc] to abort....
PATH E:\A7\code
PATH images\
PATH includes\
PATH maps\
PATH models\
PATH sounds\
PATH textures\
PATH E:\A7\templates\t7w_outdoor\
PATH E:\A7\templates\images\
PATH E:\A7\templates\includes\
PATH E:\A7\templates\maps
PATH E:\A7\templates\models\
PATH E:\A7\templates\sounds\
PATH E:\A7\templates\textures\
PATH E:\A7\templates\
t7.dll opened.... .... .
Running MYPROJ.C.
3 objects
Main started
def_startup started
display00_init_startup started
lensflare00_start_startup started
WDL-Loaded:lensFlare.c
D3D_Init Window: 800x600x-9
Backbuffer: 800x600 -> Window: 1x800x600x32
Video memory found: 104 MB
Main loop....ok...
Level(outside.wmb)
NewLevel at 3.186
LevelInit at 3.186
LevelLoad at 3.194...cmap,357 ents,16 verts,0 lmaps,4 texs,24 faces,pvs,hull
PhysicsInit at 3.388
Physics restarted
ObjForModel at 3.400...ok
LevelReady at 5.304....ok
1st frame - 106496K... ok

Re: Template7 (“t7”) public beta release #1 - 10/18/07 21:53

Quote:

...But i can´t run the level. I get a windows error message: Acknex.exe must be closed. I have run it with the last beta(7.07).

... In the notes stands:
Behavior File: Behaviors.xml (t7)

First off, this is an excellent bug report. If all bug reports had this level of information, my life would be much easier.

Look in your GStudio folder under "templates\xml", is there a "Components.xml" file? If so, can you give me the entire path of that folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\GStudio7\templates\xml)?

Re: Template7 (“t7”) public beta release #1 - 10/18/07 22:01

Quote:

The steps are ok but can't found flare0.pcx and not run
Note: The files are in the place (flare0.pcx) if I change the name to other avalaible file then not found also)
Can be a problem with case sensative?
In this evenig I install in my laptop I see if have the same problem

Let me know how the laptop install goes. It shouldn't be case sensitive.

Re: Template7 - 10/18/07 22:10

Quote:

after level loads engine crashes and offers to send microsoft a report
here's acklog

Okay, this one makes no sense. Does it show anything on the screen after the load and before the error report? Or does it crash before opening the view window?
Posted By: Slin

Re: Template7 - 10/18/07 22:45

I get after a short moment of the engine running the error message you can see in this extract from the acklog.txt:

Quote:

Main started
def_startup started
display00_init_startup started
lensflare00_start_startup started
WDL-Loaded:lensFlare.c
D3D_Init Window: 800x600x-9 -> Window: 1x800x600x32
Video memory found: 28 MB
Main loop.....
Level(outside.wmb)...cmap,357 ents,16 verts,0 lmaps,4 texs,24 faces,pvs,hull
Physics restarted...ok....ok
1st frame - 28672K... ok
Error E1513: Crash in main
Normal exit

These are the notes from the project manager:

Quote:

Project Manager: 2.0

T7 Path: C:\Program Files\GStudio7\templates\xml\
Proj Path: E:\TempTest\Ha\

The Components.xml file exists at this path:
E:\A7.07.1\templates\xml

Re: Template7 - 10/18/07 23:09

Quote:

The Components.xml file exists at this path:
E:\A7.07.1\templates\xml

How did it get there?
It should be in your T7Path or Proj Path (listed above).

Re: Template7 - 10/18/07 23:16

That folder doesn`t even exist.

Re: Template7 - 10/18/07 23:23

Okay, I must of missed a hard coded path somewhere (this is what testing is for). I'll retool it tonight and (hopefully) have it fix in 24 hours.

Thanks for spotting this.

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 04:33

Slin: temp fix, go to your project folder (E:\TempTest\Ha\) and open up myProj.xml using notepad.

Find the line:
Code:
<Paths proj_file="E:\TempTest\Ha\" t7_file="C:\Program Files\GStudio7\templates\xml\" />

and replace it with:

Code:
<Paths proj_file="E:\TempTest\Ha\" t7_file="E:\A7.07.1\templates\xml" />

Let me know if that works.

Shadow969: I think this will work for you as well, just replace "C:\Program Files\GStudio7\templates\xml\" with the actual path of your "templates\xml" folder.

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 04:45

The components.xml exists. My Path: F:A7 Beta/templates/xml

I have done the same thing eith the xml file, now the project manager shows all and the engine starts. It looks very cool.

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 05:00

I thought that I already tried that, but it seems as if I did something wrong (though I don`t know what I could do wrong there...).It works fine now with the fix.

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 07:28

Quote:

Slin: temp fix, go to your project folder (E:\TempTest\Ha\) and open up myProj.xml using notepad.

Find the line:
Code:
<Paths proj_file="E:\TempTest\Ha\" t7_file="C:\Program Files\GStudio7\templates\xml\" />

and replace it with:

Code:
<Paths proj_file="E:\TempTest\Ha\" t7_file="E:\A7.07.1\templates\xml" />

Let me know if that works.

Shadow969: I think this will work for you as well, just replace "C:\Program Files\GStudio7\templates\xml\" with the actual path of your "templates\xml" folder.

In a spanish windows "program files" will be "Archivos de Programa" Also I change the EXE_PATH by c:\\archivos de programa\\Gstudio7\\... in the .wdl
and now if works

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 08:01

One question Doug, how can we change the weapons in the engine. The enemy´s kill me everytime because i can´t shoot. Fantastic work with the templates, a lot to learn. The beahvior and skills look very different then the old template_6.
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 11:44

Yeah, now it works, thanks Doug!
Btw, how can i become a betatester?

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 14:51

Hey Doug,

It all worked smooth here, cause my Gstudio7 dir was the same as yours anyway.. I took a close look at the new templates and by the majority I'm very impressed and pleased with what I saw..

Here's how I understood that the new templates work.. (let me know if I'm wrong somewhere..). components are stored in an xml and can be used (and re-used) for all sort of different behaviors like player's and Npc actions. When adding a new model in WED and assign for example the t7_biped_player action on it, the namesake xml behavior window will pop up if you click on behavior. Whatever you change in there is no longer saved in the entity's skills but in a different xml which gets exported when you publish. Xml data can be accessed and altered using the t7.dll functions.

Pros

1. I really liked how the Project Wizard created a new dir for you somewhere, including folders and files in it from a custom xml file. That would prove tremendously useful..

2. I also love the new xml system, in comparison with everything being saved in the script files in T6

3. Expand/Collapse buttons for the Behavior windows.. Good stuff

Bugs

4. The scrolling in the Behavior window doesn't work. If the components expand more than the window size, they dissapear into their own panel.

5. In my computer, it crashes when I publish your 't7 outside' project and try to run it from the executable. However, it works fine when I run it from WED (not published).

6. When published, only myProj.xml gets exported in the 'myProj.cd' directory. Inside there's a line:
'<Paths proj_file="C:\Documents and Settings\Larry Laffer\My Documents\t7 Outside\" t7_file="C:\Program Files\GStudio7\templates\xml\" />' that tells it that the rest xmls are in my GameStudio folder, but that means the game will crash when i send it to a pc without gamestudio installed.

7. Not a bug, but if you need help fixing your comments, then some are wrong above the entity_get_vec(..) in line:88 at t7.h. Let me know if you need more feedback like that, or if it's not important at this stage

Questions

8. In T6 we could have pictures displayed on the customizable panels which was a really cool idea. Will this be possible in t7?

9. Haven't found a function entity_get_str(..). I guess it just isn't ready yet?

10. t7Camera.h has certain camera function prototypes that are commented as DLL functions. Does this mean T7 are going to be closed sourced?

11. How do we let the user change general parameters now(apart from behaviors)? Didn't see any examples, but i did saw some T6 comments in startup.c, like:

Code:

// entry: Select the background bitmap
// id: 9
// help: This will coverup the game window while the logos are being displayed.
BMAP* startup01_backgrnd_bmp = "black.pcx"; // the default A5 logo in templates

Hope that's not gonna be it.. I saw Cameras.xml with some parameters that looked like it, but i haven't found any function in t7.h to retrieve that information, or where will the user be able to change those parameters using customizable panels.

Suggestions

12. How about being able to permanently dock the behavior panels (and all other customizable panels) in the main WED window, like this:

and maybe even the project manager window can be docked, so the user can choose which panel he wants to configure from a list of Cameras.xml, Weapons.xml etc... Will save a lot of clicks, and WED will look like unity's cool interface:

13. For customizing flags and the sort, I'd much rather prefer showing a checkbox in the behavior panel, than a pop-up list where you can choose True or False. Saves time imo..

That's it.. If i'm not clear somewhere, plz let me know so i can add more screenshots and the sort.. I just didn't want to make a long post longer..

btw, my notes from Project Manager are:

Code:

Proj Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Larry Laffer\My Documents\t7 Outside\

Component File: Components.xml (t7)
Warning(LoadProperty): CMP(animate): Property "animGroup" using unknown type.
-->"animGroup"
Warning (LoadProperty) "brain :Property found without name. Not added.

and once again, amazing work on the templates. I can see what danting task this must have been...

Cheers,
Aris
Posted By: Tiles

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 17:26

Not sure if this is to mention here. But WED exe from the beta patch 7.071 still shows 7.06 in the help/ about WED box. Running a project shows the watermark from 7.071 though.

Another thing i noticed is the project wizard. There is a line for the folder name. But it asks you to enter the Project name here

I also cannot enter a main script. Gives me "WED untitled level" warning at the buttons under map properties.
Posted By: jeffmorris

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 19:41

The outdoor level worked fine. After creating a blank level, I inserted a 3D model of a hotel building and a 3D character into the level. I assigned the "t7_biped_player" behavior to the 3D character. I can't move the character but I can use the mouse to look around.

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 20:03

RobH: You should be able to fire right away. Does a “cross-hair” appear on your screen?

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 20:24

LarryLaffer: Thanks for the feedback. I knew you would have a lot to say.

I'll talk more about t7 later. But the short summery is: Game Entities (GEs) in t7 are made from a collection of components (CMPs) attached to a single entity. Each CMP can have several data fields that can be set or read. They can also have several actions that they react to.

The WED behavior panel creates a data entry that automatically adds CMPs and edits data fields when an entity is loaded (it uses the entity's name for lookup).

In the coming weeks I will cover how this is done, how you can do it using LiteC, how to send/get actions from GEs, and how to make your own CMPs.

4)Scrolling works for me, so I probably missed something while testing. Can you be more clear on how you get this problem to happen?

5&6) Publish does not work yet. We are still in beta, so I don't want you to publish anything yet.

7)Comments are always important. Comments == Documentation, so please let me know about any problems you find. What's wrong with line 88 in t7.h?

8)I'm not sure if adding pictures would fit with the new panel design, but I could be convinced otherwise. Do you want a single picture at the top of the panel, or something else?

9)So far, none of the components return a string value. When one does, I'll add it.

10)The logic behind t7 is that it should be usable by anybody (no C++ skills, no external compiler). That said, I'm happy to report that JCL is letting me release the full source code for t7!

But, right now, I want to concentrate on making t7 usable for non-programmers. Once the code gets released, I'll be very busy.

11) I plan on using XML files for everything that can be edited (display.xml, input.xml, ai.xml). But, right now, I'm using some template6 code so we can test things.

12) Docking panels are a good idea, but more complex than you might think to do right. Another idea I have is to make the editor a stand-alone application that can run on top of WED, SED, MED, and the game while running. Both ideas are "Version 2.0", meaning I want to get the basics covered first before adding this level of polish.

13) True/False as a drop-down is a hack. I'll change that, but maybe not until "Version 2.0".

Thanks for the notes, as you can see not everything is finished yet. Its going to get a lot more exciting real soon.

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 20:34

Quote:

Not sure if this is to mention here. But WED exe from the beta patch 7.071 still shows 7.06 in the help/ about WED box. Running a project shows the watermark from 7.071 though.

Good catch, but this is more a question for the beta group (or the public beta thread). I don't have any control over WED other than the Wizard, Project Manager, and Behavior Panel.

Quote:

Another thing i noticed is the project wizard. There is a line for the folder name. But it asks you to enter the Project name here

Not sure I understand this. The Folder Name is the name of the new folder that gets created (e.g. Project Path: "C:\t7Proj" with Folder Name: "one" will create a folder called "one" at "C:\t7Proj"). Does the wizard do something else for you?

Quote:

I also cannot enter a main script. Gives me "WED untitled level" warning at the buttons under map properties.

The main script is already attached (myProj.c). Are you trying to attach a different one?

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 20:40

Quote:

The outdoor level worked fine. After creating a blank level, I inserted a 3D model of a hotel building and a 3D character into the level. I assigned the "t7_biped_player" behavior to the 3D character. I can't move the character but I can use the mouse to look around.

Well, this is beyond the scope of the first test, but what the hell.

First, make sure to rebuild the level. Then make sure the model isn't in the ground (press "F7" to get a 3rd person view).

Re: Template7 - 10/19/07 23:00

I press "F7" key the first time and I get the view of the 3D character from behind him and his feet are on the floor. I press "F7" key the second time and the camera view is on the floor. I see the walls and ceilings but I don't see the floor.

Re: Template7 - 10/20/07 02:24

jeffmorris: Okay, which keys are you using to move the player?

Re: Template7 - 10/20/07 02:27

Pick up your updated WDLV DLL here.

The should find the correct path to the T7 XML folder. If not, let me know.

Re: Template7 - 10/20/07 04:38

It works fine now.

Re: Template7 - 10/20/07 07:02

Ah, nevermind with the no mainscript warning. Stupid User fault. I wanted to create a new level. And forgot to save. Sorry

For what i mean with Folder Name versus Project Filename is this:

There is a warning for missing Project Filename when you forget to fill this line out. But no line for Project Filename. Just a line for a Folder Name. Wouldn't it be better to call the warning "Folder Name missing"? Or the line "Project Filename"? Where it becomes confusing in this case is that there is a "Project Name" Line. And i needed a few moments to realize that the warning was for the "Folder Name" line. And not for the "Project Name" line:)

Re: Template7 - 10/20/07 07:40

Yup, the new WDLV file solves the problem

One more. Not sure if this is a Gamestudio bug. Or a Windows bug. I have something curious here. To test the template i created a folder called test for my project. I deleted it then. Closed WED. Opened WED to repeat it, using "test" for my new folder again, and got a warning that the folder still exists. The reappeared folder is empty. So the content is deleted. But the folder itself always reappears. Long story short end: I can delete the folder called test as often as i want. When i open WED the folder is back:

Note, WED is NOT acessing the test folder in any way here. I have created it a few sessions before. There is also no Antivirus software or any backupsoftware running.

First i delete the folder:

Then i close the WED:

And when i reopen the WED the formerly deleted folder strikes back

Anyone have seen this before? I am clueless here.

Re: Template7 - 10/20/07 09:12

On the outdoor level, I used the A, S, D, and W keys to move the player. On the blank level with hotel building, I can't move the player at all. I wish that I can use the arrow keys or the gamepad to move the player.

Re: Template7 - 10/20/07 16:44

Hi Doug, i have no hud, and still can´t shoot!

Ok, i have played and found the thing why i can´t shoot. The start weapon was set to 0! After changing to 1 it works.
Posted By: rojart

Re: Template7 - 10/21/07 01:34

Thanks for Template 7 Doug, I couldn't wait forward testing them. So after the installation I had the following problem, that after starting the game it crashes immediately, although the game started after changing the path like you said from t7_file="C:\Program Files\GStudio7\templates\xml\" to this t7_file="C:\Programme\GStudio7\templates\xml\" in this file myProj.xml.

The game is working properly, but as soon as I die it's not restarting.Is that normal? When I am approaching the woods I can see lots of holes in there, looks like the Alpha channel was on?

I noticed an additional information in the t7 Project Manager showing the following warning:
-->"animGroup" Warning (LoadProperty) "brain: Property found without name. Not added.

Re: Template7 (“t7”) public beta release #1 - 10/21/07 08:52

Whell I reinstall the gamestudio in c:\gstudio7
and confirm are a bug in the tamplates or in the engine
can't support long paths appear have a limit and when
the engine try to found anything then can't work
c:\archivos de programa\gstudio7\templates are to long for the engine or for the templates but I think is a bug of the engine

Re: Template7 - 10/22/07 17:08

Tiles: Thanks. The field use to be called Project Filename but I changed it to "Folder Name". It looks like I forgot to update the warning message as well.

Good catch.

Re: Template7 - 10/22/07 17:19

Quote:

One more. Not sure if this is a Gamestudio bug. Or a Windows bug. I have something curious here. To test the template i created a folder called test for my project. I deleted it then. Closed WED. Opened WED to repeat it, using "test" for my new folder again, and got a warning that the folder still exists. The reappeared folder is empty. So the content is deleted. But the folder itself always reappears. Long story short end: I can delete the folder called test as often as i want. When i open WED the folder is back:

This is a Windows "feature" / WED bug.
When WED starts up it checks for the last folder it opened. If the folder is missing, Windows helps by recreating it.

Go ahead and post this in the general bugs section, since there are ways to avoid this (but I don't have access to the core WED code).

Re: Template7 - 10/22/07 17:25

Quote:

On the outdoor level, I used the A, S, D, and W keys to move the player. On the blank level with hotel building, I can't move the player at all. I wish that I can use the arrow keys or the gamepad to move the player.

Are you walking on the hotel? And is the hotel a model?

Can you send me the level?

Re: Template7 - 10/22/07 17:27

rojart:
1) Correct, no respawn on death (beta only).
2) I'll look at the woods.
3) Those warning messages tell me I haven't finished Animation and Brains yet.

Re: Template7 (“t7”) public beta release #1 - 10/22/07 17:28

Felixsg: Are you using the updated WDLV.dll (linked above)?

Re: Template7 - 10/22/07 17:32

Quote:

This is a Windows "feature" / WED bug.
When WED starts up it checks for the last folder it opened. If the folder is missing, Windows helps by recreating it.

Phew. Thanks for confirming. This one made me mad

Will post it in the bug section now too

Re: Template7 - 10/22/07 18:25

How do I send you the level that I created using Blank Level template?

Re: Template7 - 10/23/07 19:01

Beta testing on hold for right now (trying to help people with major wildfire plus saving my own skin).

Keep poking at it, but don't expect an answer from me until after this blows over...
Posted By: D3D

Re: Template7 - 10/25/07 15:48

Well hope you stay safe and the Conitec office don't burn down. Those fires look very disturbing, even from this great distance.
Posted By: amplexus

Re: Template7 - 10/26/07 17:22

I'm trying to get lifts working with t7, but the map entity I have is not activating, and is somehow passable, even though it is not set a so in properties. can anyone help?

Re: Template7 - 10/26/07 17:50

Quote:

How do I send you the level that I created using Blank Level template?

I just need the object you are walking on.
If it is less than 1mb zipped, send it to my email ( dposton(at_)conitec(_dot)net ). Larger files can be sent to the ftp server:
ftp.coniroot.de
user: public
pass: public

Re: Template7 - 10/26/07 17:51

Quote:

I'm trying to get lifts working with t7, but the map entity I have is not activating, and is somehow passable, even though it is not set a so in properties. can anyone help?

What steps are you doing to add the lift?

Re: Template7 - 10/29/07 00:39

Quote:

I inserted a 3D model of a hotel building and a 3D character into the level. I assigned the "t7_biped_player" behavior to the 3D character. I can't move the character but I can use the mouse to look around.

Thanks for the level.
You forgot to set the hotel building's "polygon" flag in WED.

Re: Template7 - 10/29/07 01:55

I still can't move the 3D character after setting the hotel building's polygon flag in WED.

Re: Template7 - 10/29/07 11:08

Before trying I did a clean Gstudio 7.06.1 installation.

#1 installed the beta 7071
#2 installed the templates t7install.zip
#3 installed the updated wdlv.dll
#4 created blank level with project wizard and saved in MyGame\A7Lesson0036
#5 added terrain .hmp to the level 0,0,0 set my polygon flag in WED
#6 added player model .mdl
#7 added t7_biped_player action to player model
#8 build level, save level, run level
#9 same problem als jeffmorris no WSAD, cursor or mouse movement

[Edit1]
To get the movement working after creating a blank level, adding terrain and player model. I had to edit the myproj.xml and copy/paste the entity code from the outdoor-level myproj.xml, it seems that this information was not put inside myproj.xml after creating a blank level with the project wizard.

myproj.xml (needed to add this by hand)
Code:
<Entity name="speler_mdl_001" parent="t7_biped_player">
<Component name="collision">
<Edit name="type" value="2"/>
</Component>
<Component name="control">
<Edit name="type" value="1"/>
</Component>
<Component name="head">
<Edit name="offset" value="0,0,85"/>
</Component>
<Component name="health">
<Edit name="health" value="77"/>
</Component>
<Component name="objType">
<Edit name="value" value="0"/>
</Component>
<Component name="physBiped">
<Edit name="forceScale" value="22,12.5,0"/>
<Edit name="aForceScale" value="6,0,0"/>
</Component>
<Component name="weapon">
<Edit name="startWeapon" value="1"/>
</Component>
</Entity>

Proj Path: C:\MyGame\A7Lesson0036\

Component File: Components.xml (t7)
-->"animGroup"
Warning (LoadProperty) "brain: Property found without name. Not added.
Camera File: Cameras.xml (t7)
UI File: UI.xml (t7)

Sky Dome Artefacts - 10/29/07 11:44

Hello Doug,

I make in t7 a small test level with SKYDOME and I noticed visible artefacts when I move the mouse vertical up and down.
All normal objects with simple edges are deformed and you can see the deformation upon the screenshot.

I also noticed under ''script files'' at the display.c the gap of some functions, double names and wrong order, for comparison I made a screenshots of display.c with display00.wdl and marked the mistakes.

I compiled the test level through Publish, but after starting the myproj.exe it crashes immediately.

Have a nice day

Re: Sky Dome Artefacts - 10/29/07 22:49

rojart: Thank you for the report.

I think the sky dome bug you're reporting is "normal" for all 3DGS sky domes (not a t7 bug). Does it work differently without the dll?

I will clean up the display.c or I may go ahead and just replace it with an XML data file (which would solve the problem).

Re: Sky Dome Artefacts - 10/30/07 01:13

Doug you're right, I checked the sky dome without dll and there is the same effect.
This means, that there is a sky dome bug that can not be removed?

Re: Sky Dome Artefacts - 10/30/07 09:38

I think I fixed the problem of 3D characters refusing to move. After creating the game level and placing the 3D character in the game level, assign the t7_biped_player action to the 3D character, right-click on the 3D character in the list, choose behavior from the menu list, and click on "Save" button.

Re: Sky Dome Artefacts - 10/31/07 08:36

Jeff yes thank you that's working for me. And it is a better solution instead of edit the myproj.xml file by hand. Didn't knew it was required to press save in the behaviour panel. Perhaps something for inside the help file

Re: Sky Dome Artefacts - 11/01/07 01:08

No, I think this is a bug with my code.

Re: Template7 - 11/07/07 13:47

Hello again,

Sorry for the delayed reply! I'll have plenty more time for T7 beta testing from now on..

Quote:

4. The scrolling in the Behavior window doesn't work. If the components expand more than the window size, they dissapear into their own panel.

4)Scrolling works for me, so I probably missed something while testing. Can you be more clear on how you get this problem to happen?

Sure.. Btw, I played around with it a bit and i think maybe it's a problem with the project's path, because it doesn't always happen..

I create a new folder using the Project Wizard at "c:\..\My Documents\t7 Outside\", reload the level and everything, right click on the player model chick and select Behavior, and the panel looks fine:

Then i follow the exact same procedure to create a new level at: "C:\aaa\outside\". The panels I get look like this (notice the broken scrollbar on the right):

So when I expand some groups and the controls exceed the window, no scroll bar appears. There's just that broken scrollbar that you see, which don't help much. If I scroll it down, everything dissapears and the panel goes blank(like the panel has a huge Y size which is empty")

Since that all seemed a bit weird, I went ahead and renamed the first project's folder (the one with the working panels) from "c:\..\My Documents\t7 Outside\" to "c:\..\My Documents\fdgdfg\", loaded up, and the panels were broken again (like the last two screenshots). Then I rename it back to "c:\..\My Documents\t7 Outside\", and the panels work again..

Hope that helped a bit. Btw I haven't upgraded to the new WDLV you uploaded, cause everytime i download it, its size is 1 kilobyte(and of course, doesn't work when i replace it with the old one..).

Everything else works though, cause we're using the same paths (ex. c:\Program Files\Gstudio7)

Quote:

7. Not a bug, but if you need help fixing your comments, then some are wrong above the entity_get_vec(..) in line:88 at t7.h. Let me know if you need more feedback like that, or if it's not important at this stage

7)Comments are always important. Comments == Documentation, so please let me know about any problems you find. What's wrong with line 88 in t7.h?

The function you comment is entity_get_vec(..) but the comments describe it as: " \brief Set values in zero or more CMPs.". And I guess that whole function goes to the comment section below titled: "// get"

Btw, there are two different t7.h files, one located at "C:\Program Files\GStudio7\include\t7" and the other at: "C:\Program Files\GStudio7\templates\includes". I presume you don't use the second one at all, but since they both have the same name but different content you might want to delete/rename the second one.

Quote:

8. In T6 we could have pictures displayed on the customizable panels which was a really cool idea. Will this be possible in t7?

8)I'm not sure if adding pictures would fit with the new panel design, but I could be convinced otherwise. Do you want a single picture at the top of the panel, or something else?

The same way Template 6 panels worked, where you could place a picture at any point of the panel(but using XML files this time..)

I use pictures to emphasize different groups within the same panel better, like this:

Of course it's not practical to make all these pictures, and I can see how the new T7 panels has expand/collapse groups, but it's still a bit hard to recognise groups from one another in many cases, especially in groups within groups:

Maybe you could make the background gray colour of the "head" title a bit more darker, to be much more distinguished from it's containing options with titles using the white background ("offset", "angOffset", "angLimit")..

Anyway, I'm guessing the way to go without pictures and still look good would be something like 3ds Max 7's design, where groups are identified very clearly:

But nevertheless, our panels look descent too, especially since they have to be dynamically created from XML files.. But using pictures would allow me(and others?) to make em look better

Quote:

9. Haven't found a function entity_get_str(..). I guess it just isn't ready yet?

9)So far, none of the components return a string value. When one does, I'll add it.

Well, I just saw entity_set_str(..) and assumed there'd be a entity_get_str(..) as well.. So that the user(through panels) and the programmer can store and retreive multiple string values to any individual entity, without using my.string1 and my.string2.

Quote:

10. t7Camera.h has certain camera function prototypes that are commented as DLL functions. Does this mean T7 are going to be closed sourced?

10)The logic behind t7 is that it should be usable by anybody (no C++ skills, no external compiler). That said, I'm happy to report that JCL is letting me release the full source code for t7!

So.. just to clarify.. The code for T7 (like physics, weapons, movement, etc) is now going to be one DLL that you will later release it's source?

But if I use Lite-C for my own project, will I be able to use and create T7 panels using xml files with the same functionality?

Quote:

11. How do we let the user change general parameters now(apart from behaviors)? Didn't see any examples, but i did saw some T6 comments in startup.c. Hope that's not gonna be it.. I saw Cameras.xml with some parameters that looked like it, but i haven't found any function in t7.h to retrieve that information, or where will the user be able to change those parameters using customizable panels.

11) I plan on using XML files for everything that can be edited (display.xml, input.xml, ai.xml). But, right now, I'm using some template6 code so we can test things.

I really look forward to this, since now the only way to see the new improved T7 panels, is for entity behaviors. Not that the template6 panels look bad, but i don't like how you create them through the source code files, and that whole updating system that is required due to that.

When that feature is added, i can finally start converting all the old template 6 panels to xml files, so any expected release date on that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Aris

Re: Template7 - 11/10/07 05:41

LarryLaffer: Thanks again for all the feedback.

1) I still can't reproduce the scroll bar issue. Since you're using an older version, this may be something I fixed (since I changed the way path names are handled). Lets wait until I release the next update and see if you can cause the problem again.

2) The comments were right in one, wrong in the other. Thanks.

3) I'll hold off on the images for now (tougher then you might think).
As far as the group header being darker, I can do that but I would check your monitor settings first (it's probably too bright) since I'm using the standard colors.

4) "The code for T7 (like physics, weapons, movement, etc) is now going to be one DLL that you will later release it's source?"

Yes.

"But if I use Lite-C for my own project, will I be able to use and create T7 panels using xml files with the same functionality?"

Yes. You only have access to skills and flags (used in Lite-C) plus you can mix-and-match CMPs as you like.

5) I plan to release the next update next week. It will include Display.xml and UserInput.xml (plus various fixes).
I can also release the working code docs, plus some new behaviors.
© 2024 lite-C Forums