[Question] "MED Only"?

Posted By: Anthus

[Question] "MED Only"? - 12/21/08 01:21

Ok, quick question:

Can I use MED (instead of WED) to create levels, or maps? Can I make them, and import them as 'models' in WED at least? I'm asking because, in general, I find MED to be a better editor, and it is a lot more versitile IMO.

Thanks.

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 12/22/08 08:32

And here I thought these forums were active. I jut need a simple yes or no answer. Can't anyone be bothered to help a newcomer out?
Posted By: Quad

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 12/22/08 12:36

yes you can use med.

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 12/25/08 05:09

Cool, thanks ;]

Now, to get to work on some stuff. Sorry for my m00bish persistency, but I just wanted to make sure, and such questions aren't answered in the documentation.

EDIT: Another quick question; will collisions, and physics need to be scripted from scratch, or will the automatically be there like stuff made in WED?
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 12/25/08 10:56

Need to be scripted from scratch.
Posted By: Quad

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 12/25/08 10:58

it is not really "scratch". and coding it dont take long/not hard.

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 12/25/08 11:03

right.
Posted By: Tobias

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 12/25/08 11:58

Some comment to your first question, its a bad idea to make the construction of your game dependent on which editor you like better.

Models and levels are different. For instance, when you make your levels with MED, you can not use lightmaps and you can not easily attach actions to models and can not use the templates, so you must do everything in script or C++. Its much harder to do a level only with MED and the result will be not as good.

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 12/25/08 16:43

ummmmm, you're right too.

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 12/26/08 08:42

Hmm. smirk

WED is kinda of basic, it seems. Is there a way to draw a plain, and edit it without it being a terrain map? Like, can I have a plane with X verticies/ points/ faces, and manipulate it to "sculpt" a map?

Building with hollowed cubes seems a bit..I dunno.. archaic o-o.

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 05/27/09 04:27

Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I'm wondering about my previous statement.
Posted By: KiwiBoy

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 05/27/09 05:21

hey there, Very brave diving into advanced level building so soon but then you may be real good.

What you can do is create a grid of blocks in WED, say 10 X 10 medium, large or small.
Then create an empty file in MED 'block_grid' or something and save it empty or throw sometthing in like a primitive or 2, it doesnt matter as the file will be overwritten.

Then back to WED and export your grid to .mdl format.

When queried for file to export to, choose the empty one you just made and complete the process.

Now then, (dramatic I know) you can manipulate the vertices easily here but limit it only to height contour and not by to great and extent.

When done (obviously remebering the process and what you did) save the back to WED and import the .mdl file back but choose 'Auto' mode for block import, not concave.

All going well, you should have blocks back, next senario; you should have a majority of blocks and a few model conave parts.
Worst case, all you got was what you expected, a .mdl file frown

In other words, diligence at getting what you want will be rewarde by effort spent.

Now, I dont know if they are actually true 'blocks' but they show up white (thats a block!) and they dont need poly = on etc.

Good luck smile
Posted By: KiwiBoy

Re: [Question] "MED Only"? - 06/01/09 20:20

Hi,

Yes you can use MED alone with some parameters to keep in mind.

When creating terrain either use the 'create new terrain' command or bring in a hieght map to generate the terrain.
A hieght map is an image of land contours made in black and white format.
The terrain creator reads the values of the colors and assigns hieght by 'light' value so all dark spots will be lower than all brighter spots.
Result is a terrain file smile

You can use the same process to create your 'Plane' by converting the resulting terrain to a .mdl where you cam manipulate the vertices however you want.
Caution!
If you manipulate along x, y axis you will no longer be able to reconvert to terrain but thats not a porb for your discription is it.

Then any assets you create in Med to fill-in but you know will not have actions assigned to them, give then the action following to make them static objects (model versions of blocks)

action im_static()
{
my.emask &= ~DYNAMIC;

}

Ensure you skin is perfect before importing as static file or ent_creating.

Fbx causes a whole heap of issues and one of them is 'tearing'where edges seperate during engine build anad results in gaps in the geometry.

HAving gotten all you level elements made, then the character and so on.....
and finally, build in 'Simple Mode' only as nothing within the Wed build process supports the level you just made as Tobias iterated above.
© 2024 lite-C Forums