Conversion problem, FBX to MDL

Posted By: Lavarider

Conversion problem, FBX to MDL - 01/14/09 18:26

Hey all! OK, so here's the deal. I created a model for my game in 3ds max, and decided it was ready, so I prepared to import it into MED. I exported it using FBX 2006.11, and imported it into MED. The textures were gone, but it looked perfect....however, when I saved the model as an MDL and reopened it, lo and behold, it looked like it had had a close brush with a paper shredder. The main mesh was easily recognizable, but faces and polygons were sticking out everywhere, and the whole thing just looked terrible. Does anybody know why? P.S....I cant post the model here, because its INSANELY high poly (am intending to reduce once I have it in the proper format) Thanks!

Original FBX import:

New MDL Model:

Posted By: Quad

Re: Conversion problem, FBX to MDL - 01/14/09 18:43

first, insanely high poly models are useless for games.

you may try updateing your FBX exporter(there should be a button somewhere in max.)

aand watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lxft1ML05U

Re: Conversion problem, FBX to MDL - 01/14/09 19:44

I know that insanely high poly models are bad for games, I just prefer to start high poly and work my way down slowly. There is nothing wrong with the FBX plugin, the FBX import works flawlessly. The problem starts when I convert the import to the MDL format.

Edit: My FBX plugin is fully updated, by the way.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Conversion problem, FBX to MDL - 01/14/09 19:51

can you upload the max file along with or without textures. i ll check if i can import it properly.

Re: Conversion problem, FBX to MDL - 01/15/09 00:47

Never mind. I reduced the polycount and that fixed the issue, I guess MED had a poly overload.
© 2024 lite-C Forums