Map compiler refuses to snap

Posted By: MatAllum

Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/19/15 14:35

I'm having a lot of problems with gaps between WED blocks in my compiled map. The fix is presumably easy - just make sure "Don't snap vertices" is unchecked in the map compiler. The problem is, the checkbox is having no effect for me. The map still compiles with gaps, and when I return to the map compiler, the box is checked again. All the other settings save (and have the proper effect), so I don't know why it refuses to snap blocks.

Alternatively, is there an easy way to just bake lightmaps on models, and skip the blocks entirely?
Posted By: 3run

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/20/15 11:59

I remember some kind of 'tutorial' or something like one, about how to create level in blender and export it with baked lightmaps into .mdl. Unfortunately I can't find it. Maybe someone will share a link?
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/20/15 12:47

Here is video
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/20/15 19:59

wow that's pretty cool stuff, am I glad I started learning blender. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/20/15 22:43

Interesting, I will look into this.

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/21/15 23:56

Got a problem. The tutorial explains you need to export the model to FBX, but my MED has that format missing from the export menu. I discussed it with a friend who sent me his copy of med.exe (which he confirmed did have the FBX export) but when I tried it myself, the feature was missing. Is there some dependency I need to install in order to get FBX support in MED?

(I considered converting the model via Milkshape instead, but only got a "struct size has changed" error, so no go there)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/22/15 00:35

FBX has been there since A7 I think Do you have that latest version of your series?
MED only imports FBX

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/22/15 02:23

Still worth looking into in the future but SOLVED!

For those still using WED blocks, make sure your mesh size is not 0. Check Map Properties... I made it 1000 as the manual recommended and all my gaps were gone. Hope this helps somebody.

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/22/15 06:30

Originally Posted By: Malice
FBX has been there since A7 I think Do you have that latest version of your series?
MED only imports FBX

FBX export still works but you must insert fbx export plugin in med_plugins folder. For some reason they are no longer part of the A8 installation, but i guess that you can find it in A7. Btw i have them on my hard drive if someone needs.

@MatAllum: I'm glad you've solved the problem.

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/22/15 11:17

Do you mean FbxFiles2010.dll? I've got A7 and A8 both installed and both with that file, but I don't get the options on either version.
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/22/15 12:05

you need visual c++ redistributable files installed , the most common reason a dll won't load up is missing dependencies , I cannot remember which it needs .

someone can use dependency walker on it for you to figure out

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/22/15 12:15

it might be msvcr80.dll

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/M/msvcr80.dll/8.0.50727.42/download.html

else download Microsoft c runtime libraries I think 2008

edit : by the way report this to jcl because many users have come to the forum with the missing dependencies for the fbx in MED but I don't think it was ever reported to jcl , they should redistribute it along with the installation .

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/22/15 12:31

Originally Posted By: MatAllum
Do you mean FbxFiles2010.dll? I've got A7 and A8 both installed and both with that file, but I don't get the options on either version.

No, this is a importer. Here is files, just put them into med plugin folder and you will see them in export option.

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/22/15 12:47

just ignore my replies I thought the problem discussed was about fbxfiles2010 , just saw I also didn't have them .

Thanks

Re: Map compiler refuses to snap - 04/22/15 13:09

@Iglarion - I actually get the FBX option now! Thanks for the link, it seems to work very nicely.
© 2024 lite-C Forums