3D World Studio

Posted By: Leadwerks

3D World Studio - 01/18/06 00:44

Hello.

This is the author of the map editor Cartography Shop, as well as my new editor, 3D World Studio. I am writing to inquire how I might better integrate my editor with 3D Game Studio. The editor can import and export the Half-Life .map format, and can automatically call an additional map compiler, if need be.

I am also interested in a possible deal to sell 3D World Studio to 3D Game Studio users, directly through this site. Who would I contact to discuss such an arrangement?

Regards,

Josh Klint

Leadwerks Software

www.leadwerks.com

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 01:56

Wow, the graphics are amazing! Great job! I like how it looks like it has so many different features and its fairly graphical unlike some editors. The only thing I hate is that it uses Half-Life files, that is such a violent game! I'm amazed that one person could make this though!
Posted By: SiriusCG

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 03:57

Right off hand I'd say getting the rest of the planned 3DWS feature set working would be a good start. I see that 3DWS "early adopter" demo is from September... time for an update? It's hard to spend $119 for a product that hasn't shown any new features for about 4 months. I'm not being critical as I know it takes a lot of effort, but I'm not moved to purchase given it's current status.

The second item that would be desireable is to export files that can be imported to 3DGS with as little "tweaking" as necessary. Personally, I've grown tired of having to use multiple apps to get my levels where I want them. Model in this, texture in that, lighting in this, ad nauseum...

I've heard good things about Cartography Shop from Torque users, hopefully 3DWS will truly be "next generation" and streamline the world building pipeline for 3DGS users too. Cheers.

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 04:29

The current version is actually 5.38, and is available as a patch on the forum. You can even install the patch over the demo, and try the new features. The only thing I have left to complete is the .dbo exporter, which I am finishing up tomorrow.

I guess it is time to update the features page.

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 04:38

Very cool. I'll have to give it a go then! Thx.
Posted By: Kerkelenz

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 04:53

I used the demo and I am familliar with CShop and its great, but since I am using
3D GameStudio I stoped using it but if you build in the feature that it can export
3D GameStudio WMP files with textures then I will defenetly buy the
builder version!!!

EDIT: By the way, you can contact the forum user "jcl", he is as far as I know the
founder of conitec, maybe not but he works there so he will be able to give you
support, it would be great to see 3DWS in the Conitec Shop or elsewere on this
website!!!
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 08:58

I really like the idea to have a world editor that supports more than only one engine. So it would be possible to create contents for several indie developers.

With that in mind I would be interested. Please support as many engines as you can. I appreciate that very much!
Posted By: JoraSell

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 11:40

This really is enticing. Can't wait to see what happens.
Posted By: real_illusion

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 13:46

where is the difference between 3D World Studio and 3D Games Studio? I don't know both Engines very well..
Posted By: Bilbo

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 14:43

3d world studio isnt an engine per-se its an editor abit like wed although more advanced.

by the way im a long term cartography shop user ^_^ i used to use it with darkbasic lol it was a great little program and fitted exactly what i needed it for, was also really simple to use! lets hope this is as good, looks a little like the hamemr editor

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 17:33

Several people have told me to contact "jcl" but I can't find an email address for him.
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/18/06 17:59

Hello,

I sent you a pm on his e-mail address.

-Paul.
Posted By: mo1e

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/19/06 00:20

can u export your created levels into gamestudio? with version 5.31 of this?

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/19/06 01:03

@ho1e: That is what this Thread is about, he is trying to Contact Conitec to make
some Business and Contract agreements so that this program can be sold on this
Website and that it will support 3D GameStudio A6 WMP File format!

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/19/06 01:32

Quote:

but if you build in the feature that it can export 3D GameStudio WMP files with textures

and terrain .hmp files would be very, very cool...

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/19/06 02:10

I have a number of 3D Game Studio users, so I know it is presently possible to get 3DWS maps in 3DGS. I can't tell you exactly how, but some of my users might be able to:
http://www.leadwerks.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=12b68d5083be6d763f1dbcdadb58656c

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/19/06 02:23

If you can get 3DWS to export to 3DGS directly, I'd purchase in a heartbeat. You accomplish that and I'll wager you'd have just about every 3DGS user beating a ath to your Paypal (or whatever you use) account.

I read through the posts on your forum and export/import pipeline is still a convoluted PITA with loss of data and other problems. Tweaking is still the norm and it should be the exception. One of the biggest issues, IMO, is that with 3DGS being a fairly complete authoring enviroment, having 3rd party tools that can work with it seamlessly would a tremendous plus.

Cheers and good luck!

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/19/06 02:46

More images:

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/20/06 01:11

Thank you all for your replies. I just emailed JCL. If Conitec were to start selling the program, it would be really good for the program's future development.
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/20/06 01:36

I haven't checked out any of the specs/features, but if it doesn't already exist then a a "concave block" error popup(followed by the illegal block being reverted back to the previous legal state) would be nice and insure it transfers into 3DGS's WED more smoothly. That feature should be able to be toggled off for non-BSP building.
Posted By: mo1e

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/20/06 12:34

ooo so basically he is trying to get this program to export into a 3dgs format? well i hope he does this looks great

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/20/06 14:43

Okay, JCL said they could put it on the downloads page. He gave me some tips on exporting. The first thing to do would be to add a modified .map exporter with an option to call wwmp2wmb, like how the Torque exporter works.

I am working on the DarkBasic Pro exporter right now, but this will be my next priority. I think there are a lot more A6 users than DBPro users, but I need to finish one thing before I start another.

I am looking forward to working with the A6 community!
Posted By: Roy

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/20/06 15:01

This is great, i was waiting a long time for 3DWorldStudio.
And what i have seen, makes it only better and better.
Well done!
Posted By: Game Wizard

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/20/06 23:57

Does this compete with Terragen?
Can one make a grayscale topo map and use it to create the terrain's height mapping?

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/21/06 02:18

Yes, you can import or export a greyscale heightmap.

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/22/06 14:33

Can I export / save a terrain that I can then import into WED?
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/22/06 17:59

yes, but the file format have to be HMP

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/23/06 00:47

Great news Josh. I'll certainly look forward to purchasing 3DWS when you've gotten 3DGS exporting ready! Cheers!
Posted By: maximo

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/23/06 16:53

Hi,
please give a look at your x export file. When I import it in Med only one
texture is visible, and it is not fit. So if I want get a mdl file made with
3d world... I export it as map. I open it with Ultimate Unrwap, I save in Msd3.
With Milkshape(1.7.6) I export in X, and after it match in MED. Very strange.
There is another problem to import a x file from 3d world : e.g. a model with
5 skins, in Med I get 288 skins, a very big size file.
Maybe a different version of X ?

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/24/06 00:34

Can you please post the .3dw and .x files in question?
Posted By: maximo

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/28/06 08:25

Please read your PM.
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/28/06 13:59

this really does look excellent. Im not gunna get my hopes up till i see that you can get it to import into 3dgs properly but I will most likley be savin my pennies just incase ;p
Posted By: Jedi007

Re: 3D World Studio - 01/29/06 16:38

I'm not interested in getting world studio (even though I wan it) Anyway, have you ever heard of GtkRadiant? there are some games that run on the same engine, It supports stuff like Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Half-Life, etc... you can use

DL it here: http://www.qeradiant.com/
Posted By: JamesA

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/01/06 13:26

Hi I want to start a level idea in 3D gamestudio,
at the moment I am working on the meshes in 3DS max good incase I jump engine.
This product when made with the import for GS, yes I would buy it like a shot too.

James.
Posted By: SwordsGateSCAS

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/02/06 13:32

were can i get the creator of the level
looks great i want my team to try it dew to the 3dgs level editor is poor
were u cant make ponits,faces ect
if they was in the 3dgs i would use it but there nit so i have to use models for the level making
Posted By: CBuilder2

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/02/06 13:46

Quote:

I really like the idea to have a world editor that supports more than only one engine. So it would be possible to create contents for several indie developers.

With that in mind I would be interested. Please support as many engines as you can. I appreciate that very much!

Frank_G,

I think 3D World Studio has a lot of promise for those who want an alternative to WED. Also, it would be awesome to have the author's full support for 3DGS.

Actually, QuArK has been able to do this for many years; check out the game engines it supports including 6DX, Torque and Crystal Space. Plus, the price is right - Free. Of course, no one has created an add-on to support 3DGS yet.

CBuilder
Posted By: Trevian

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/08/06 20:54

As we're thinking of using the A6 engine for our project, this would definately be on our list of tools. We currently use Freeworld3d to conceptualise our world - so any chance of importing Freeworld3d projects and exporting them to 3DGS maps with all textures, meshes, lightmaps, detail maps, alpha-splats etc would be phenomenal!

This is the best ( and worst ) part of my job - deciding which tools we can buy and which we're going to have to write ourselves. On this occasion for sure, we'd be hard pushed to write better than 3D World Studio!

Get those import/export formats done and you've got another few licenses being bought by us.

Scott Thompson
Lead Developer
Pixel Bridge Ltd.
www.winterstwilight.com

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/08/06 21:12

If you're interested in a custom license, I could compile a special version of the program for your to distribute with your game. This would allow your users to create and modify game content. I could add whatever importers and exporters you need to support your game.

I am working on .wmp export right now
Posted By: Trevian

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/09/06 10:38

Well, Winter's Twilight ( www.winterstwilight.com ) is a MMOG so it isn't in our design brief to allow players to create their own content - this would be a purely internal tool for our worldbuilders.

We're almost at the point of choosing A6 to power our world ( pending a few issues still to be confirmed as sorted in the next release ) so I'm investigating the content pipeline.

I'm looking for a full-on world creator that will integrate with the A6 engine. That is to say what I see in the World Editor with all effects, lighting, textures, models, sky, water etc is what I see in 3DGS WED follwing a simple export-import routine.

Once you're there, let me know and we'll buy a copy. If all goes well, we'll be buying a few more!

Scott Thompson
Lead Developer
Pixel Bridge Ltd.
www.winterstwilight.com
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/09/06 10:44

Does this editor use BSP type geometry? then I think it is not worth while, as BSP is outdated. If however, it can do other kinds of gemoetry, why not just use a modelling prog like Max or Maya? In general, I think this is something not very useful, especially with WED already integrated into A6, and then there is Triple Xs new realtime editor.

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/09/06 17:18

I wouldn't really call bsp geometry outdated, since pretty much every realtime engine uses it. As for integration, I am going to add .wmp export, but I am not attempting to create an A6 emulator. The editor supports too many engines to try to force it to emulate all the effects of just one.

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/10/06 04:24

I got the exporter working now. I still have a couple things to do, but it looks like it will work well. Since my editor exports straight to .wmp, you can call the map compiler and run the map in the engine, without actually having to open the map in WED:

http://www.leadwerks.com/post/test.map
http://www.leadwerks.com/post/test.wmp

Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/10/06 11:59

fantastic.
Posted By: DDM

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/10/06 17:09

I downloaded the demo for 3DGs and I am amazed at the quality especially how there are no cracks in the stair section that being normally you see cracks where seperate blocks touch each other. One other thing to note is that the frame rate is also nice, I managed to get an average of 230 fps.

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/10/06 21:05

The reason there are no cracks is because my editor exports straight to .wmp. When a file is exported to .map and reloaded, it sometimes develops small cracks and gaps.

My editor also has tools for creating arches and curves. I didn't have to do any carving to make that little scene.
Posted By: broozar

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/10/06 21:10

are textures exported as well?
Posted By: Stelynn

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/10/06 21:15

Where can I download the exporter.

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/10/06 21:22

It's not ready yet, guys. I will definitely let you know when I finish.

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/11/06 00:00

Although I have not done it as yet, my understanding is that I can use WED to create a "map" entity which can then be used in a level as a model would be. So does your editor produce these "map" entities?

Also, can one use Maya or Max models directly, or does one need to convert them to game studio model format as for WED, or convert them to some other format?

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/12/06 07:58

Hey I love the tool and how mich will the program (professional version) and the
exporter cost when finished (ill defenetly buy it if it exports textures!)
Posted By: lofwyr

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/12/06 10:58

Hi

I have used cartography shop and had a look at 3dws, I think it's going to be great. Will I be able to import WMP as well? This would be a great tool to get map levels from 3dgs over to torque. The map2dif tool in torque at the moment is not great; other options so far seem equally poor. Apart from being able to create levels a level converter to other engine formats would be a definite buy for me.

Cheers
Posted By: JamesA

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/12/06 19:15

But when will the Triple x editor be released?
in the meantime or instead this programme looks good if I can use max models as mdls or other and not BSP type geometry.
I mostly use 3ds max models and convert them to mdls then use them in WED.
I dont use BSP etc.
I need a realtime editor to place things, WED is frustrating.
Posted By: IslandDreamer

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/12/06 19:22

This looks great. Now if only someone could speed up the .wmp to .wmb compiling!
Posted By: msl_manni

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/15/06 11:01

It would be great to have a tool to build my levels in. Then I can use the same levels with various game engines too.
Posted By: msl_manni

Re: 3D World Studio - 02/15/06 14:02

Hi Leadwerks,
I would like that you support .mdl export also so that one can build his game as one might like. The .mdl export should be with correct uv-mapping and tileable textures.
Bye,
MSL.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: 3D World Studio - 03/08/06 07:26

I'd be interested in this if it will work in 3dgs

Re: 3D World Studio - 03/10/06 17:15

Do you have an anticipated release date?
Posted By: Dix

Re: 3D World Studio - 03/10/06 18:53

Quote:

Hello.
I am also interested in a possible deal to sell 3D World Studio to 3D Game Studio users, directly through this site. Who would I contact to discuss such an arrangement?
Regards,
Josh Klint
Leadwerks Software

From your web site, "3D Game Studio, export yes, inprogress"

Great news! My decision to buy this in the next 2 days is inprogress as well.

The "Living Forest" demo reel looks excellent. Do you think 3D Studio will have similar results?
cheers,
Posted By: dennisb

Re: 3D World Studio - 03/11/06 04:09

Hi

What are the advantages of worldbuilder over quark? I just downloaded Quark and tested some simple geometry to 3dgs and it worked good. So what do you offer that quark does not? It would be good if you showed some comparison chart for world builder and similar programs. I am inexperienced in building levels so this would help me decide. I want the best tool that creates good geometry and has good building tools. On your feature list it says wmp, so this is already working in the program?

Re: 3D World Studio - 03/11/06 04:39

I am looking at the demo and I don't see any way to import .x files. Is this a limitation of the trial or is there a special way to do this? There is no documentation on it. What are the limitations of the trial? That would be good to know.

Re: 3D World Studio - 03/16/06 01:05

Hi

Has anyone bought and used this product yet? I wrote to leadwerks with some questions and they have not answered me. I am thinking it is a very good deal for this program because it does levels and terrain. Are the terrain features good? are they as good as geoscape, which looks very good. Does anyone think that 3d world builder is better than quark and why?

I dont know why they didnt write me back. I need to decide and if i get it I need a bill by friday. Don't they want to sell products?
Posted By: eleroux

Re: 3D World Studio - 03/16/06 04:09

I just tried the demo - it's really amazing. What stunned me was the ability to render the shadowmaps on the 3D view, and continue working with the shadowmapped blocks!

It feels quite intuitive. Yet, I couldn't find some things:

For instance, in WED, you define when surfaces are SMOOTH or not. For example, the sides of a cylinder (commercial and pro versions only).

Is there something like that in 3dws, or objects look always blocky?

Also, are there duplicators or other tools? for instance, to make the ladder you just showed here.

As a suggestion for the future - it would be nice if you could do some editing in the 3d (perspective) view. Currently it's more like a navigatable window, in which you can only select objects. WED users are used to modify blocks in the 3D window, and now a new transform gizmo was added, making that better.

Good work!

Re: 3D World Studio - 03/16/06 13:30

I heard back from leadwerks. I am putting in to my agency to get this software. I think it looks very good. I would still like to hear other peoples experience with the software.
Posted By: D3D

Re: 3D World Studio - 04/23/06 06:42

Still no export 3DWS -> GSTUDIO?

All the best,

Dusty
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: 3D World Studio - 04/23/06 09:16

Certain things are in place, but it won't be in until the next update. Check the forum for updates.

http://www.leadwerks.com/forums/
© 2024 lite-C Forums