Telephone box, 2 sided glass.....

Posted By: JamesA

Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 17:35

Hi there I am making a telephone box,
you know with glass in. The glass has sandblasted writing on it too.
Im making my model in 3ds max.
For the glass, do I just make a flat plane without width, use an alpha on that part...
Then how do I apply part transparency in Med is there a script?
Thanks,
James.
Posted By: Roy

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 17:59

Well, i don't think there is a script in med (but i'm certainly not a med expert). You can load your telephone cell and glass in wed. (one model for the telephone cell and one model for the glass) and then put on the transparency flag. (or do it with script in sed when imported the models:
action glass
{
my.tranparency = on;
my.alpha = ...; // type a number for the alpha
}
(i'm not sure if this is working, because i can't test it right now, but try it)
So, as far as i know, there is no med-script, or something.
I hope this helped you!
Posted By: jigalypuff

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 18:08

in max use a plane, cap holes, the nin material editor set opacity to around 35 this will give you a sheet of glass.

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 18:36

Hi thanks.
Whats the nin material editor, do you mean med?
I can do everything fine in max just looking to keep it in med then to wed.
Thanks....

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 20:48

sorry typo, i meant then in the material editor.
Posted By: Tozzy

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 21:52

Quote:

in max use a plane, cap holes, the nin material editor set opacity to around 35 this will give you a sheet of glass.

Hmm, I'm not sure if this will work and is probably not the best idea. It would be good if it's being kept in MAX but, it's being exported.

Ok James, if I were you, create your phone box as normal but forget about the glass for now. Once telephone box without glass is made with UV map, export from MAX To MDL format.

Ok now for the glass:

Create a plane, use the phone box model you made as reference so you can get the correct size of the glass. Then UV Map the glass as normal. Export to MED. Now you will have to make a mask.

Download this : TGA Maker 1.0

It's an amazing tool. It's extremely simple and has all the basic features you need to make a TGA map with alpha transparency. On your diffuse map, you must work out which parts you want transparent/ invisible and then paint these areas pure black and the areas you want opaque must be pure white.

Remember:

100% Black = Transparent
100% White = Opaque
Anything between will be only half see-through and viceversa.

You should have 2 files:

1 BMP which is your diffuse map which contains the skin for your glass.
1 BMP which is a mixture of black and white pixels to mark areas you want transparent (grayscale).

Load up BMP skin from glass into TGA Maker, then load up your grayscale map (tools, load from file) and fiddle with settings. Save as TGA, open this in skin editor in MED and it should work in A6 engine if you've done everything correctly.

So you want the glass part about 35% opaque (a dark grey I think). For the writing on the glass, make sure it's white or a bit of a dark white all depending if you want it solid looking or not.

Tell me if this helps?

P.S. For the 2 sided effect, I'm really not sure about how to achieve this. I know you have to use a script but I'm no coder lol. I think DaBro0zar gave a force 2 sided code but I can't remember if it was him or not.

Sorry if some doesn't make much sense. I get confused myself at times like this .

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 21:58

it works, look at the meshs in this thread
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/630827/an/0/page/0#630827

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 22:02

@jigalypuff: The link doesn't seem to serve much purpose to this thread. Sorry . Perhaps I'm missing something though.

By the way, I don't know why people always post scripts for alpha models because surely it's not needed? separate the models and load into WED. Simple . Well, it worked for me anyway .
Posted By: dennisb

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 22:12

I click the link to get tga maker and it just opens a new window with this same gamestudio thread in it.

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 22:14

Quote:

I click the link to get tga maker and it just opens a new window with this same gamestudio thread in it.

Rightclick and save as .

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/15/06 23:20

tozzy the link has a few pics in it with some models i knocked up in max, you can see the transparency for the glass in them. and he asked about transparency in max. of course you need to save them as seperate meshs and stick them togather in med as mdl only supports single texture maps.

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/16/06 00:32

Quote:

he asked about transparency in max.

No he didn't. He said he's using MAX to make his model:

Quote:

Im making my model in 3ds max.

Quote:

For the glass, do I just make a flat plane without width, use an alpha on that part...

He's right about this.

Quote:

Then how do I apply part transparency in Med is there a script?

Then I answer that he doesn't need a script. He needs to make an alpha map using TGA Maker which I provided the link to and then he can create a alpha map for his model. MAX doesn't come into the equasion and doesn't need to .

Quote:

of course you need to save them as seperate meshs and stick them togather in med as mdl only supports single texture maps.

No it doesn't. It supports multiple texture maps (diffuse) and also a TGA with an alpha channel. And you don't stick them together in MED. You stick them together in WED.

Quote:

You built that house in MAX but we're not talking about MAX because he wants the final model in WED which I instructed him on how to do lol .

So where is JamesA?
Posted By: Grimber

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/16/06 23:43

you don;t need multiple meshs to make models with "glass" in them anynmore. and you don;t need an external material script either

you just need to UV map the glass areas to a seperate skin and that skin cannot contain semi transparent and full opaque areas at the same time

I did this with the Ford pick-up that was on the acknex site as an example.
before, the 'glass' was a seperate mesh. now the truck is a single mesh, 2 skins. glass area mapped to a 32 bit alpha tga image that is semi transparent.
no script nor material effect to the model

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/17/06 00:47

Quote:

now the truck is a single mesh, 2 skins. glass area mapped to a 32 bit alpha tga image that is semi transparent.

Grimber could you post the model please because I'm not sure exactly what you mean . You mean you have 2 skins attached in MED and the truck and the glass are as 1 mdl?

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/17/06 02:12

guess i dumped it after i cleaned hard drive ( i just did it as an example for another thread), just had the picture left because it was still uploaded.

i'll go ahead and find another model and do the same thing and post that. its realy easy to do.

ou want to designate seperate groups.
1 (or more )group(s) JUST for the 'glass' polys. to that group you apply a tga 32 bit texture. remember, you cannot combine both semi-transparency and opaque areas in the same skin image. that causes the sorting problem

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/17/06 03:10

OK i messed with Kai Kieschnick jeep off acknex site. added polys to put in glass in the window, then made a REALY crappy semi transparent image for the glass. added a new skin, grouped the glass polys and UV mapped them to the new skin and applied the semi-transparent image I made.

its all 1 mesh, 2 skins, no action nor material fx assigned to the model

jeep model

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/17/06 13:11

Wow,
thanks for all the responses. it looks like the final version looks best choice as it will be an all in one mdl.

Ill finish the phone box, with the details mapped ie the glass writing for a stock 3ds mesh but will have to take that out in gs and use the transpaency only.

Ill post the model up here when its done. Thanks,
James.

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/17/06 18:35

Nice 1 Grimber. You rule . I understand it now. Damn, I could have done that ages ago if I had have known.

I think you deserve a copy of 'Tozzy's Tyre Texture Pack - Volume 1' because that is some really good info there. I will send you a PM with details in a few hours with a download link.

Thanks again. Good ole' Grimber eh? Yep .

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/17/06 19:45

"I could have done that ages ago if I had have known."

only been capable of doing this since th 6.4 beta changes for mdl groups, materials and the changes with MED

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/17/06 23:10

Quote:

only been capable of doing this since th 6.4 beta changes for mdl groups, materials and the changes with MED

What I mean is I was doing a motorcycle for a client and wanted the spokes on an AT TGA Map and that was when 6.4 was out but I didn't know how to do it. I could only think of having the models separate to avoid the z buffer issues.

By the way, sorry about not getting the textures to you yet, I've just been slightly busy today but I promise you'll have them. I have your addy too. Hey I put a reminder in my signature too .

Wow it's true about that saying: "We learn something new everyday" .

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/18/06 02:00

you could do the spokes as a texture.

you can combine a full opaque and 100 transparent in the same skin image.
the engine just doesn;t like semi-transparent and full opaque togeather.

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/18/06 02:11

Quote:

you could do the spokes as a texture.

Yea I did. I thought it would save on polies so I made a TGA of the wheel with the spokes and the rest transparent.
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/22/06 12:42

The models used in these examples have 2 skins on the same model, My question is, what if you apllied the UV script to these models? Would it effect both skins? Or only first or second skin? I cant try it because i don't have the 6.4 update yet...

Jason

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 03/22/06 13:18

never tried the script since 6.4, but then with being able to apply differnt material skins like this it would pretty much eliminate the need to.
Posted By: gedimaster

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 05/01/06 00:36

hi grimber,

i tried opening your jeep model in the latest med and i could see it using only skin0. since it is in mdl7 format, i didnt see any other secondary "transparent" texture. then how did you do the transparency for the glass window?

can you enlighten me on this? thanks!

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 05/01/06 17:23

Sorry to intrude (just thought I'd help out):

@gedimaster:
Go to skin editor and click on the little icons on the right hand side just above the skin editor viewport. This is to view the next skin . Hope this helps.
Posted By: Salva

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 05/01/06 18:42

Hi to all!
It is not hard create a model that has a transparent part, like a window or a door with a glass, without tga texture, for those that they have 3dgs from the release 6.4 in MED is possible through
material setup, make a part of a model transparent, for example a window, of wood or of iron, create the glass easily, choose the texture of the mesh that must represent the glass, and with the material editor ---> material setup ---> skin setting ---> alpha bring the value to 35- 40% and then apply the texture to the glass mesh.

greet

salva
Posted By: gedimaster

Re: Telephone box, 2 sided glass..... - 05/07/06 17:44

can someone post up a walkthro of a tutorial that does this? really appreciate it. for eg., how can i specify the coords of a model to use the alpha channel of the common texture in order to achieve transparency for a part of the object?

do i do that in my modeling software or in med?

thanks!
© 2024 lite-C Forums