Sci-Fi Textures

Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Sci-Fi Textures - 08/14/06 08:08

Hi,

yesterday I created some sci-fi textures (color, height and normal map). I will use them in one of our scheduled projects. But I think about creating a package for you. What do you think?

First some small pics (ingame with normalmaps applied, original textures have 1024 squared pixels):

And here is one with a more detailled color map (from our artist SFMAT4):

We would create more textures with much more details if needed. So please give some comments on what you are interested in.
Posted By: phil3d

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/14/06 08:20

it's kinda noticeable that u always used the same dirtmap...

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/14/06 08:25

thanks for the comment. I can exchange this very fast. I have every texture with layers in a GIMP file and can handle this. This was just my first test to find the best workflow to create textures with normal and height maps. I tested 3 methods:

1) creating textures from high poly models
2) painting textures in ZBrush
3) painting textures 2d in "The Gimp"

The first way took quite long. Second is an option that I will use for some of the future textures. The third option works best for most of the textures because it is fast and you can re-use layers very easily.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/14/06 10:10

The textures look really good !!
But on the other hand, phil3d is right about always using the same dirtmap
Except that, they still are pro textures ^^

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: broozar

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/14/06 10:10

awesome. though i swore never to buy any texture packs, this is definitely one to get weak... and break this. depends on the price, surely.
free would be even cooler but 10 textures is too few. so maybe make it a teaser for the comm 50 tex model pack.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/14/06 12:21

Thanks for the kind comments.

I added another preview screenshot to my first post.

I am a bit disappointed about the poll result. We cannot create a pack for 5 people with normal and height maps. This will lead to something about 150 textures (including heights and normals) and lots of hours of work.

But I will try to address game-developers from other game engines as well.

Regards,
Frank

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/14/06 14:11

hammer...
this can't be a GIMP texture, or i will throw my mouse to the wall get turn towards the walls and cry. how'd you create it?

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/14/06 14:59

I think you mean the last pic from SFMAT4. He did it while following a texture tutorial. So it is indeed hand painted (while using some fotos as resource).
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/14/06 15:23

Stunning. Just that one word: stunning. Eventually even "amazing".

If you'd create a fantasy texture pack, I'd pay for that. In this would be the first texture pack ever, i'd pay for. After six years fo game development.
Posted By: William

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/15/06 04:19

These textures look great. Thanks for showing.
Posted By: Nicolas_B

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/15/06 07:26

wow. very nice. Good work Frank_G

gg Nicolas

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/15/06 07:47

Thank you all for the kind words. The poll looks to me like this:

Most people want to have free textures plus a tutorial about how to apply those textures with shaders in Gamestudio. Half of them think about buying it.

Here is my idea: We create this pack with more and better textures as shown above. We offer ten (or even more) of them for free so that you all can play around with them. We add a tutorial to our pack with a working shader and a sample project including some code for dynamic lighting.

Because of download traffic I would like to keep the free textures at 512 pixels while the commercial ones will be at least 1024. My partner even wants to create them 2048 with all CG artists in mind.
The free pack could be restricted to non-commercial projects. But that is just an idea.

So you all could make shader games and when you like it then just buy it for your final game. The price will be affordable like all our texture packs are.

My partner thinks about creating a second pack only with panels and screens from sci-fi monitors and electrical devices. But I think a few from them will make it in the first pack as well.

Here is a last question of mine:
Do you like to have textures that have baked lighting so that you can use them even without shaders and look similiar to the shaded ones (but with static baked shadows)? Maybe as another non-shader pack for old-school-projects?

Best regards,
Frank

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/15/06 08:21

no baking, please.
Posted By: capanno

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/15/06 09:51

Ver professional work, as always!

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/15/06 13:27

Here is another preview of one of our texture tests. This image was made by SFMAT4 and has originally a 2048 pixel resolution:

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/15/06 14:36

Very nice work! I personally would like a free pack, because I'm broke

I think that baked light may not be a good idea.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/18/06 10:14

We have a new preview image of a re-worked texture:

Regards,
Frank
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/18/06 12:03

I have recognized the texure of SFMAT4 it seems to be inspired by this tutorial
http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/stefan_morrell/stefan_01.asp

Your work is AAA quality , you could be a level artist for Quake 4 or Prey Frank_G.

Keep putting shinning pics
Posted By: TWO

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/18/06 12:09

Very nice Textures. Very nice Tutorial. Cool
Posted By: SFMAT4

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/18/06 12:36

Quote:

I have recognized the texure of SFMAT4 it seems to be inspired by this tutorial
http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/stefan_morrell/stefan_01.asp

Your work is AAA quality , you could be a level artist for Quake 4 or Prey Frank_G.

Keep putting shinning pics

yes your right!
The first textures are only test examples. Of coure we use our own stile in the textur pack.
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/18/06 13:08

Quote:

I am a bit disappointed about the poll result. We cannot create a pack for 5 people with normal and height maps.

Well, your poll should have had an "all of the above option"

I think a pack of 50 good quality textures like this would sell, I dont think youd be wasting your time. Id buy it.
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/18/06 17:10

Nice textures. Very realistic and detailed + very rich colors, not over the top and not too boring. Stunning materials... Btw it seems thet you can't recieve PM's Frank. Maybe your PM box is full...
Posted By: SFMAT4

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 08/20/06 12:51

and an other one

MfG
SF

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/09/06 07:15

Hi,

I created about 30 textures now. Some of them will be improved later on. I will create an example level to see what textures really are needed.

Most textures have big texture size like 2048 x 2048. So it will be possible to use them also in a 3d rendering application. There are color maps, bump maps, normal maps and sometimes even specular maps. Often a generic specular map or the bump map is sufficient for specularity.

Here are some "exotic" textures to give you an idea of the latest work:

Let me know if you have any particular suggestions.

Best regards,
Frank
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/09/06 07:32

Schick, BEi Frank fehlt noch der Schmutz und die Kratzer. BEi dem Lüftergrill hat man ja schon etwas Schmutz gesehen. Aber das sieht noch alles zu unbenutzt aus. Als wär es frisch aus der Fabrik KEnnst du den Schmutz der sich auf dem Keyboard ansammelt?
Bei SF sieht man ja sehr schön (den Schmutz und) die KRatzer.

Die alufolie ist sehr interessant. Erinnert mich an die Isolierung von Rohren.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/09/06 07:43

*lechz* when's it done?

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/09/06 07:53

Thanks to you both.

ExCiter is right. I can add some dirt layers. But that can be done later on. Maybe SF will do that (he is a master in turning clean textures into dirty ones ).

DaBro0zar: I do my best. Maybe end of the week I have a set of 50 textures. But then I want to create a test level to see if something is missing. We still need doors, cables, pipes and other stuff to make it more detailed.

And I want to create a tutorial for the beginners to help creating contents with this set of textures.

But if you need something very fast then just PM me.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/09/06 08:37

it isn't urgent, i was just so excited about the brilliant quality of the textures.
the tutorial idea sounds wonderful. i'm really looking forward to it.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/09/06 10:40

That looks fantastic! Simply no other words
Top quality!

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/09/06 10:56

Quote:

That looks fantastic! Simply no other words
Top quality!

Same here Frank_G, nice pro texture

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/09/06 10:56

was solln das letzte sein sieht aus wie ne mischung aus stein und allufolie nix halbes und nix ganzes
Posted By: Towelie

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/09/06 11:41

Looks good, but in the second one (the vent) the very outermost circle, the one that borders the wall, looks too 2d, maybe adding a roundness to this would fix... otherwise it looks like 'paper' so to speak.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/10/06 08:54

Thanks for giving critics. I appreciate that.

I started yesterday evening to create some dirtmaps. Here is a first try. This is still not finished. I have to create more specularity at the edges and some special "wounds", scratches and so on. I will update you with infos later on.

I think it is best to provide both: used and clean versions of the textures. That will lead into a really big package (textures have 2048 pixels). Dirty textures will need another bump or specularity map.
So it might be that we have to ship it via CD or DVD. We will see.

Frank

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/10/06 10:55

Quote:

Even if it isn't finished, they already look great !!
One think I would comment, if you're making sci-fi textures, give them more a sci-fi look, more dirt, blood,... and stuff like that

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Perro

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/10/06 11:05

hallo frank

deine texturen sehen super aus, wenn auch vielleicht noch etwas zu sauber.
ich habe zum testen eine metall-textur von noctua-graphics.de drübergelegt und die kanten etwas bearbeitet:

hat jetzt nur ca 5 min gedauert, aber mit etwas handarbeit könnte an die texturen sicher noch entscheidend verbessern.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/10/06 11:42

Danke Perro, genau das habe ich vor. Falls Du helfen möchtest, bist Du gerne im Team willkommen , melde Dich einfach per PM.
Posted By: D3D

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/10/06 14:35

Hope you make a tutorial about how you created these textures, they look very professional. I voted for the apply textures in Sphere. Anyways, it would be nice to learn howto make your own textures or at least the requirements such textures have to fulfil.

Dusty

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/10/06 14:50

Thanks dusty. Yes I agree. I think I will create a tutorial in the future. So you all can see how powerful "The GIMP" is.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/12/06 14:18

Here is something that I created yesterday:

I have some fantastic ideas for the upcoming textures with way more details.
Posted By: rincewind

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/12/06 14:52

I'll definitely buy these textures as soon as they are avaible. Wonderful work Frank

@Perro: Die Idee mit der Textur ist klasse:-) Ich habe das gerade auch mit meinen Texturen ausprobiert. Vielen Dank!

Cheers
Rincewind
Posted By: Edgecrusher

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/12/06 15:55

Same here. From where do you get all the ideas from, these textures look fantastic

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/13/06 07:13

Hello again ,

here is what I promised yesterday - a new texture with more details than the other ones:

Rincewind:
I am happy that you like it. I am already looking forward to your results - your level design abilities will bring these textures to life, for sure.

Edgecrusher:
I am a big fan of "Chronicles of Riddick" and "Prey". Besides that I analyze every shader game like Doom3, Quake4 and so on. So I try to understand how they did it and then I try it myself with something different. And I get inspirations of artists from Daz3d, 3d-Total, CG-Talk and much more.
Posted By: Trooper119

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/13/06 14:59

There is no doubt in my mind, this isn't a I "I think this might pass as high quality" or "I might consider this pro material"

I would however qualify this as "OH MY @#*%*%# $#@ THIS IS FANTASTIC, WE MUST BOW DOWN AND WORSHIP THIS GUY", <- a little exageration lol

Proffesional grade definately, and thanks a lot for the tutorial, I needed it. Any more tips on texture making you could give? I need all the help I can get, thanks guys, keep up the good work.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/13/06 15:15

Thanks Trooper119. I saw that you still use A5 standard. So you probably cannot use any normal maps at all. But I think about creating old-school color maps with baked lighting as an alternative for the modern shader textures.

With that in mind the user can decide what package fits his / her needs.

By the way: You will see - that this is no magic at all. It is not that complicated when you once got into the tools.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/13/06 16:44

I would like to thank you on the kind words of encouragement, and its not that I'm new to area, just simply to cheap/poor to fork over the cash for the upgrade to A6 so I simply scoure the forumns for the chance to win things from the Conetic contests (no luck yet), course once all that changes I will be able to use things like normal maps and shaders .

I would also like to enhance your final statement:
It's not magic at all, nor is it a complicated matter, you simply need the knowledge to use what is around you.

You see, once you know how to do something, the task is relatively easy.
(and if not then there are ways to adapt it to make it an easy process, I call this modern day adaption/evolution of mankind).

Bah, I just figured out I'm rambeling again, oh well.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/13/06 17:09

hey frank,

the textures are really nice but the latest is kinda overloaded. it's hard for the viewer to understand the actual shape. i hope u understand what i mean. it's good to have many details but try keep the different parts and ornaments more seperate

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/13/06 17:49

for your latest texture, i was just about to say "chronicles of riddick" can't wait for the final package. though, everyone wants to have it it seems, so the game wouldn't be unique anymore...
Posted By: bupaje

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/14/06 00:26

Hi Frank. Beautiful. Your work is always getting better and better. Your efforts at perfecting your craft really show.
Posted By: Shinobi

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/14/06 01:12

They look great for sure , would like to see them in a game or a demo

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/16/06 06:20

Thanks Phil. I appreciate your comments. I have mostly less overloaded textures. I also added more dirt and scratches now.

DBro0zar: The pack will probably not be unique for you rgame unless you buy all rights for them. But if you really need something unique then just ask me. I can create such a texture in a timeframe between 1 and 3 hours.

Thanks Bupaje. I really appreciate your encouraging words.

Shinobi: Yes, I will create a real-time demo and a few render images with the textures to give a better impression.

To all:
I have more than 60 textures now. Here are a few new impressions:

Best regards,
Frank
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/16/06 17:57

Lol, I think I'm using the same 'cracks' brushes hehehe, good work though!

Cheers

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/17/06 07:12

Another door texture:

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/17/06 10:50

You keep on amazing me Frank_G
Nice textures

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/17/06 11:18

Thanky you very much for the encouraging words, frazzle. That helps me much to keep my passion to finish this pack.

I try to get better with each texture. I painted traces of use at the edges and some rust at certain spots to make it more real.

I think I will improve some of the older textures as well and Martin (SFMAT4) will probably help with that.

We discussed at Dexsoft what our next pack should be. We are quite sure that we need an animated character pack very soon, to boost more interest towards our shop. Maybe some sci-fi soldiers will make it into the shop. But fantasy creatures would be interesting as well. I will start a poll when time comes.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/17/06 11:49

In the last screen, it looks nice, but the door looks grainy and not very metallic.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/17/06 11:50

aye, I thought that too.. it should be more shiny metal, with some rust parts not the whole door rust..

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/17/06 12:12

ok. Thanks. This will be changed.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/17/06 12:48

yeah you could just blurr some parts , grany parts can be rust , but you can have non grany rust.

Ok appart from that , you really master metal texture like the pros Frank_G

when a Doom 3 level ?

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/18/06 07:13

I changed the latest door because of your critics:

And since you like the dirty look I created a dirty wall texture yesterday:

Maybe I will add a bit more dirt to the other textures as well.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/18/06 12:41

The new door totally rocks, the difference between the old one and the new one shows exactly what was wrong with the first door, it just didn't look metallic enough. Anyways, good work,

Cheers

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 06:57

Ok. I worked very hard at the weekend and so the pack is almost finished. I improved almost all textures, tried to add more realism to them. And I created new ones (among them a more complex texture with pipes and cables).

Here are the first render screen shots. It can look very similar in-game since I have all specular, height and normal maps. I will show in-games shots later on. I still have to create some textures with lights and a few non-square textures.

Have fun with the images

Regards,
Frank
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 07:52

beautiful, thats my only words
Posted By: Sandaras

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 09:14

Wau sehr gut
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 10:24

Sieht perfekt aus. Sind die Bilder gerendert mit 3DGS sphere 2? Oder hast du dein eigenes Bumpmappingscript genommen, das du mit den texturen publishst ?

Man müsste die Räume als Modelle machen und sie dann texturieren. Mit der Offizellen 3DGS Version ist das ja noch nicht möglich in WED möglich glaube ich. Mit annehmbarer Framerate wäre das schon ein tolles 3DGS referenzlevel

Werd ich gleich meinen Freudnen zeigen.

btw, warum ist das Warning auf der Kiste gespiegelt?

Und hast du dir inzwischen die Pro geleistet? Der spiegelnde Boden sieht gut aus, könnte auch nen Sphere feature sein.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 10:47

You're just amazing
I first thought, that you would present the textures in a texture pack
but now I see that you present the texture at a very pro way, so an interested user can see the texture out of every point of view, all I can say is that I'm even more impressed then I was before !!

Great work Frank_G

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 10:48

Ex-Citer: Hey mein lieber Freund und Wegbegleiter, der Du mit mir zusammen im Atelier Rehbrücke gemalt hast .... Lies doch bitte meinen Text

Ich habe geschrieben, dass die Bilder gerendert wurden und dass eine in-game Grafik ähnlich möglich sein wird, weil ich Normalmaps, Tiefen- und Specularmaps mitliefere. In Sphere kann ich ähnliche Bilder erzeugen und werde es bald tun. Dazu muss das Level aus Modellen bestehen (so wie es derzeit ist).

In A6 geht das vielleicht auch bald. Mit dem neuen Szenenmanagement der Beta könnte vielleicht bald auch ein Shader auf Geometrie laufen. Vielleicht ist auch bald statisches und dynamisches Licht auf Levelgeometrie mit Shadern drin. Ich werde vielleicht einer der ersten sein, die es ausprobieren.

Zudem werde ich es mal in anderen Engines testen. Wir sehen, wo es am Besten gerendert wird.

Den Beweis, dass es nicht nur ein Render-Textur-Paket, sondern auch ein in-game Textur-Paket ist, werde ich euch mit Sicherheit noch liefern

Viele Grüße,
Frank

PS: Einige Texturen sind gespiegelt, das stimmt. Ich war faul und habe schnell automatisch gemapped in Lightwave. Deswegen konnte ich das Level auch in 1-2 Stunden zusammen basteln. Das Programm ist schon ein cooler schneller Modeller.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 13:33

ach du scheiße, ich musste grad meine kinnlade auf der tastatur suchen... gratuliere, du hast soeben die refenz (sphere-innenlevel) geschlagen.

hoffentlich bleibt das texturepack erschwinglich.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 13:49

Thank you all for the kind words!
Posted By: Don Pedro

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 14:45

Frank,

sorry, if this has been already suggested (and you have it as part of the package - too long a thread to read through line-by-line), but it would add great value to your package if you had two versions of one texture - one "perfect" and one worn.

Unless of course your going to include the PSD-files also..
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 15:31

Would be nice if you made level like this using SPhere...

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 15:45

lol, matt... every the opportunity grabber, just kidding.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 18:26

IMPRESSIVE...
MOST IMPRESSIVE...

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/23/06 23:23

It's getting better everytime I look in this thread.
I see plenty of usefull textures or usefull parts of textures already.

Cheers

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/24/06 00:09

Looks good, but the crate with the pipes under the X looks too flat and unrealistic.

Other than those... Ummm... way to make kick ass textures. Definitly going to hold you up on the idea of a tutorial on how to do this in the gimp.
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/24/06 07:41

Indeed very professional Following your progress in texture-creation is a pleasure!

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/24/06 08:14

Thank you again.

Matt: Absolutely. I plan to showcase such a demo level in sphere. Where else can I find such superb parallax mapping?

Towelie: If you ever see this texture with parallax mapping then it will get much more depth since it has a good height map. The previous pictures uses "only" a bump map.

And by the way: The tutorial is on the way.

Here come a few updates since every level needs some light:

And here comes some insides:
I often did some tutorials like this one:

But every tutorial that I find is made for Photoshop. So I often do them with the Photoshop license of my girl friend. After that I do it in "The Gimp".

And I can tell you that I could achieve everything in "The Gimp" as well and as a bonus: most functions and tools are more quickly available. In PS you have to go into several menus with a depth of 3 or 4 like "Edit/Transform/Rotate/Clockwise" or things like that.

In "The Gimp" it is often only a single click and an adjustment in the properties window. So I can assure you: When you really work every day on textures then it goes fast in "The Gimp".

To all the warez users: Don't do it! There is even better software available for free

Regards,
Frank

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/24/06 08:53

looking great!

Can't wait the tutorial

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/24/06 09:12

Frank_G :
A tutorial about that with Gimp could really interest me and lot of other people
i think.
To see the difference of working of a pro like you
compared with photoshop.

Anyway you could remake Quake 4 or Doom3 , or work for some big companies
your textures are really pro.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/25/06 08:00

Hi,

I did 3 new textures again and will stopp now. I have 60 base textures with additional height, normal and specularity maps. Sometimes I even added another dirty color map. So this pack will include something about 250-300 textures.

I am writing a tutorial now for the beginners to show how to apply those kind of textures to game engines (especially for Gamestudio, since in Beyond Virtual or Lawmaker it is only a simple texture assignment).

I also will show examples for getting specularity maps into an alpha channel with "The GIMP".

So maybe the first ones can lay their hands on this pack even this week.

Best regards,
Frank

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/25/06 13:15

Your speed is comendable and your quality is spectacular, I think everyone will be able to gain from this contribution, thanks Frank.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/25/06 13:23

well said trooper, and i agree.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/25/06 14:10

Thank you very much. I learned a new English word from you: commendable.

Thanks.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/25/06 15:34

Let us know, when we can buy this, I'm looking forward to this texture pack.

Cheers

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/25/06 16:10

Yes. I will let you know. I am looking forward to making business with you and I am even more interested in what level design you can produce with this kind of textures.

So please keep me up to date with your projects then!

Maybe your shots will win the next "Let's Rock A6" - contest. I wish you all the best!

Start the sphere-engines

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/25/06 16:45

frankie: how do you make the dot3 maps (in GIMP, I mean)
Posted By: nipx

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/25/06 17:16

I think: Hard Surface right?

Will you include a few cable and pipe textures?
Would be good

really like your texture

nipx

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/26/06 09:05

nipx: Thank you vor the compliment. There is already a pipe texture. What kind of cable textures do you have in mind? Give me a good reference and I could add a last-minute texture to it.
What is does "hard surface" mean in this context? I did some tasks very similar as the author of this tutorial but I have to do some things a bit different in GIMP.

Inestical: Do you mean the normal map? This one can be created with a GIMP-plugin from a good grayscale height map. It took some time to find the best mix of depth and a good adjustment in the plugin but now I found my work-flow.
But sometimes I created the normal map in Lightwave and converted it later on in a grayscale height map. That depends on the object that I have in mind.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/26/06 09:41

well, Frankie I found nice normal mapping plugin, that generates normalmaps from the reference images

But your way seems good also (referring to the normalmaps you have generated).

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/26/06 09:44

Creating normal maps directly from your colored image is dangerous. You get often too much bumps or wrong lighting. It is very important to keep in mind that darker areas will appear deeper than bright spots.

Such plug-ins are very helpful if you handle them right.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/26/06 10:18

yes yes.. there is also 3D preview for it (with cube, quad, sphere, teapot and torus), and with normal and parallax mapping.

it's very neat one I tried to make one from your images, but I quess I need the original file to get the right normal map (its because the lights on them)

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/26/06 10:23

No problem. You get all grayscal height maps with this pack and can alter it and make new normal maps with the help of it. There is no limitation

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/26/06 18:30

Im thinking about a texture that you can add to a very thin block so it looks as there are cables on the wall - could be a sprite too:

(no, that isnt the reference, I made it with MS Paint cant find the video I saw it...)

nipx

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/27/06 08:46

I already have some textures for cables and pipes, e.g.:

I added a new texture yesterday evening just for cables. Here you can see it at a pipe but you can wrap it around smaller tubes as well:

And I made a circular texture yesterday. This one can make your levels even more interesting. It could be placed for beam transporter platforms, for panels or ending parts of big pipes or whatever:

We will offer 2 packs of the textures. One will contain textures up to 1024 pixels with color, spec and bump in one texture. This kind of textures do not need additional spec and bump maps and can be used in standard games without shader. So you can simply use it in your BSP levels.

The second pack will have textures up to 2048 pixels plus additional spec, bump and normal maps. This one is meant to be used in rendering applications or modern real-time games with shaders. It will have a slightly higher price because of the bigger amount of work that went into it.

Regards,
Frank

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/27/06 10:52

Great update Frank_G !!
I know this may sound boring but what the hell:
Pro work

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/27/06 10:55

I would relook on the pipe normal map. the bolts doesn't look much real and depthed.. (rr14.jpg)

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/27/06 11:02

You see no normal map in this picture. It is rendered and does use only a grayscale bump map.

There is a copy of this texture without bolts. So you don't have to use it. Most cables do not need bolts anyway. So I will probably not rework this one. I still have to create some of the non-shader textures and the user interface for browsing and saving textures.

Regards,
Frank
Posted By: Edgecrusher

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/27/06 12:20

Can you already tell which price class the textures will be? I'm very interested in buying this kick-ass pro work
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/27/06 12:48

are those shots rendered in 3dgs? and if yes, where i can find the button for changing my version into this renderer? ;D

cheers

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/27/06 13:10

Here is the button for this renderer:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/

I wrote several times that those pics are rendered still images - nothing special. I did not use area lights, reflections nor radiosity. This is a simple render with color, bump and spec maps applied. Sphere engine and Lawmaker engine can do that as well in real-time (but with lower resolution textures).

I will create in-game levels later on. I will test the textures in sphere with parallax mapping and in standard A6 (without shaders) and probably in a few other game engines as well.

Regards,
Frank

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/27/06 13:52

By the way:
This is the second "button" to improve your A6 version
http://matt.brightwatch.com/sphere/

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/27/06 18:45

Great work!

I was thinking about something that is looking like the 3 and 6 texture on your first image. Looks excellent!

nipx
Posted By: KMS

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/28/06 08:02

Mir fehlen einfach die Worte!

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/30/06 00:44

Today I created a little room in WED. Just a few blocks without any shaders. I reduced the image size even to 512 for the walls and 256 for the rest and it still looks good in-game and runs very fast.

I used only a few of our 88 sci-fi textures:

A shader level in Sphere will follow soon.

Regards,
Frank

PS: I am still uploading the big texture pack and will tell you when it is finished.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/30/06 14:33

here you see what good texturing's worth, even without shaders it looks brill. the 2 vent blocks look a bit arkward, but hell, you're goint to sell the textures, not the level

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/30/06 14:54

vent blocks? Do you mean the lights?

Yes. It is blocky, for sure. I had a hard time in WED. I dislike this tools a bit. I have to shift every texture. When they finally fit and I do a CSG subtract then all textures are wrong again and I again have to offset all textures on every side at every block... what a mess.

Even uv-mapping is much more easy. I would rather create the level from models but then I do not get such nice soft shadows.

The biggest advantage of A6 are the nice indoor shadows / static lightmapping. But creating levels from blocks is not a pleasure at all.

At least my next level in Sphere can be a model based level. That is way more fun
Posted By: EpsiloN

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/30/06 15:24

The only thing wrong with those lights is the light source you placed in WED Its in front of the lights , too far from them and just the shadow aaround them dont look right.
Very nice textures

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/30/06 15:30

with the lights: maybe increas the ambient value to a lighter shade of grey to make it appear more natural.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/30/06 16:35

Hehehe, what did you use CSG-substract for, doesn't your CSG-substract button say 'do not click me' too?

Nice work by the way, I'm looking forward to the sphere shots,

Cheers

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/30/06 16:45

Thanks for the comments. I see what you mean.
Posted By: bs_twinbits

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/30/06 19:22

Hi Frank
I've read about your pain here: Yes. It is blocky, for sure. I had a hard time in WED. I dislike this tools a bit...............
But it's so easy to solve your problems, don't use this tools. If you are interested what you can do, please contact me in german language. Sent a mail to bs@twinbits.de .
bs
Posted By: William

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/31/06 07:42

These are really great textures Frank. Looking forward to purchasing your pack!
Posted By: EpsiloN

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/31/06 08:18

Now , I dont want this to sound bad ... the textures are realy great but I just noticed that they are a little monotone when it comes to color. It does keep the theme in one direction , but I suggest make variations of some of the textures with diffrent kinds of base color (close to the original)

PS.: I always loved UT and I never thought blocky looks bad...I dont see a problem with this honestly. (But maby I'm more than a big fan of the old style games )

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/31/06 08:32

Thanks to you all. I will announce a special offer just for you today evening or tomorrow. I just have to prepare some stuff.

Color can be an issue. It might depend on what you like. But I wanted to keep textures mostly consistent. So I did use the same base colors and base metal textures most of the time (but not allways).

We will see. When this pack sells well then I might create more stuff, some bonus and sci-fi models. And later on even a few generic characters. But that depends. If there is not enough interest then I will turn towards fantasy again.

Regards,
Frank
Posted By: Tachys

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 10/31/06 13:49

Just a thought, and not asking all of you artists out there to give away your best stuff, but I know that I, for one would be willing to pay a little bit for the maps themselves, so I could create my own stuff a wee bit faster.

As a father of four kids, and this being my hobby, not my day job, I'm always looking for stuff that will get me rolling in the right direction, so that I take a project and instead of digging ang digging for a bunch of things that MIGHT look good together, spend that time instead making it instead.

As a result, anything that can speed this process up a little bit (tutorials, layer maps for PS, model pieces I can modify to match what I need, etc)is always a plus.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/01/06 03:19

Great news Frank, I'm looking forward to the pack.

@Tachys
Just to let you know, and while I'm not sure how much time you want to put into this but I often find that learning through tutorials and other ways can be faster than digging through archives of free stuff. Often its hard to put things together that look right and plus making it yourself is very rewarding, so while I would encourage you to pull some things from archives to use in your projects, I just want to give a little warning that this can cause waisted productivity if you look to far into any given resource for a project.
Posted By: MJR_Corp

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/01/06 04:12

These textures are great!
But just one thing, how do pattern them if they have a big light patch in the corner? The wall will just be a spotty mess. I dont know, perhaps the light isnt included in the texture. if not, then it will make it a great deal easier to use.
Please enlighten.

Otherwise, I love the textures, and they are very well done. I look foward to the package.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/01/06 07:43

MJR: There is no light in the textures. Many preview shots here have a light applied but look at my level screen shots and you will realize that our textures tile very well

Here is an example to show you how I created the textures and you will see that there is only light in the left corner in the rendered preview image. All other texture images have no light applied:

Regards,
Frank

Pack finished / place your orders - 11/01/06 08:12

By the way:

I placed a special offer for you. It is time limited, lasts only this week. I just want to thank you with this gesture for your great support and help:

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/702519/an/0/page/0#Post702519
Posted By: ello

Re: Pack finished / place your orders - 11/01/06 08:41

but the screens on that website arent 3dgs, are they? anyways, nice set of textures

Re: Pack finished / place your orders - 11/01/06 08:46

You will find 3dgs screen shots here in this thread.

The sample scene screens at the website are rendered still images since this pack also addresses rendering software (that's why we even offer 2048 sizes).

Re: Pack finished / place your orders - 11/01/06 19:27

really sweet and a fantastic deal! you even made me to eventually set up a PayPal account...

New In-Game Shots - 11/04/06 22:34

Here are new in-game screen-shots. I used the sphere2 plugin to create those images (parallax mapping with soft shadows):

Best regards,
Frank

Re: New In-Game Shots - 11/05/06 00:17

omfg (o_X) awesome! I just love them!

there is nothing to critize :|
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: New In-Game Shots - 11/05/06 06:45

Nice, this is good work frank.

Re: New In-Game Shots - 11/05/06 11:12

well, i like this shot a lil less than the others, concerning the details: the transition between walls and floor/ceiling is rather hartd and not logical, see the left cornern: the door cable simply vanishes. put it on a socket and it will be better.

Re: New In-Game Shots - 11/05/06 11:20

Yes. You are right. This test room was fastly made just to see how it looks in Sphere and to give the possiblilty for potential customers to judge the textures in-game.

Maybe you want to create better scenes for a showcase? I would be glad to show them to the world

Re: New In-Game Shots - 11/05/06 11:22

if i could download the textures and the DL wouldn't cancel after 78 MB every time, i'd be eager to do so. please check your mails, i sent you the problem description already.

Re: New In-Game Shots - 11/05/06 14:23

I cannot check my mails at home. I will see it tomorrow. But it has to go. I got positive response from some customers. So it should work.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: New In-Game Shots - 11/05/06 15:26

I can assure, that the download worked for me.
So maybe there is some other problem with your browser, virusprogram or FTP program,
that cancels the download.

new shots again - 11/05/06 15:49

I made a few new shots with another light setup and a few more details in that little room and I even improved the problem with the door that Dabrozaar mentioned:

It might have a little too much specularity. So please don't say that shaders look all wet and glossy , you can darken the specular maps in this texture pack as you wish.

Have fun with the textures and show your stuff!
Posted By: aztec

Re: new shots again - 11/05/06 15:53

pretty awesome dude I like it

Re: new shots again - 11/05/06 16:02

Thank you Aztec.

By the way: What is a dude? The dictionary tells something about Dandy, Geck, Kerl, Alter. And I know this only from an old tv production in the 80. And the dudes in that series were not very smart
Posted By: aztec

Re: new shots again - 11/05/06 16:33

you mean what dude means in German?
I think its means its some guy so I would say
"Kerl" is a good word for that one

Re: new shots again - 11/05/06 16:46

Some synonyms: "Hey Pal", "Hey Buddy"

Dude is not really ment negative,
but it is an informal form.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/05/06 17:56

Quote:

Just a thought, and not asking all of you artists out there to give away your best stuff, but I know that I, for one would be willing to pay a little bit for the maps themselves, so I could create my own stuff a wee bit faster.

As a father of four kids, and this being my hobby, not my day job, I'm always looking for stuff that will get me rolling in the right direction, so that I take a project and instead of digging ang digging for a bunch of things that MIGHT look good together, spend that time instead making it instead.

As a result, anything that can speed this process up a little bit (tutorials, layer maps for PS, model pieces I can modify to match what I need, etc)is always a plus.

Just want to remind you of this suggestion of Tachys!

"I, for one would be willing to pay a little bit for the maps themselves"

I think, it is a good idea to sell the textures with some example levels. This way your show level could be sold as well. (A suggestion to anybody who sells a texture pack!)

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/05/06 18:09

I think too, that reusable levelcontent (that is made with the
testurepack) is a good way to help people who dont want to
spend too much time for the leveldesign.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/05/06 19:12

Yes. That might be a good idea. But this level is just a small room for now. But the idea could be to create some parts for stairs, corridors, rooms and so on.

But this raises questions: Is it better to deliver models or blocks? Maybe one day it does not matter when you all can import static meshes.

This was my plan for the next pack anyway. I could give this room to our customers right now but it is the same way produced as the level from MattAufderHeide: one big texture and a model based architecture that has been mapped to that one texture.

We will see how well it sells. Then we make new decisions.
Posted By: fogman

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/05/06 23:53

Sorry for bumpin´ this thread, but: Frank, your pm box is full.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/06/06 14:10

***grins*** actually, that is a good idea (the selling some premade levels that the textures were used on, or with the pack itself), but isn't exactly what I was talking about

The maps I was referring to were things like the base textures, dirt maps, masks and such that the artist might have saved in Photoshop or Paint Shop in the creation of these textures, that someone could use, modify or otherwise play around with to create textures of their own... sort of a jump-start to other people's creative flow....

That, again, is something I would pay almost as much for as I would a completed texture pack, as I could pick and choose the elements I want in my level, and use the different photoshop tools to unify the color scheme and feel of the textures, as well as creating special purpose ones for things the original artist might not have had in mind for MY project

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/06/06 14:32

I see Tachys. But such a layered file ranges from 40 to 100 MB for a single GIMP file. If I save it in the PSD format it even gets bigger.

A pack with all those original files can have more than 4 GB easily.

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/06/06 14:59

Well, add an extra dollar or so for the dvd format ***grins***. It might not be a huge market you'd be catering to with this, but the only 'extra' work involved would be picking the resolution levels and saving them to disk, correct? And for that, you could probably charge an extra 20% or so for that particular format for the user to buy the rights to mix and match them at will. Just a thought

Also, I know this is the age of instant gratification, but bandwidth costs... and no one is going to wait for 4+gb downloads... so make this 'special' pack available on dvd only, perhaps?

edit: spelling not so easy... especially with fat, stubby little sausages for fingers

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/06/06 15:39

Yes. Good idea. But 20% extra prize will cover barely the postage costs, DVD and paper envelope. Not a good deal for us. But I will seriously think about it. Besides that we can talk about a special deal only for you via PM.
Posted By: KMS

Re: Sci-Fi Textures - 11/08/06 19:43

yesterday I buyed the extra-edition. It's realy perfect !
© 2024 lite-C Forums