Metal textures

Posted By: EpsiloN

Metal textures - 10/31/06 23:50

I'm new to texturing and I have no more than 20 attempts , thats 4 of them. Tell me what you think

In those pictures only the box...

Posted By: Trooper119

Re: Metal textures - 11/01/06 03:14

For one of your first attempts this is spectacular, simply add something like a height map and a shader for lighting and you could pass the level (with textures you've created) as pretty pro work. Congrats, and keep up the good work.
Posted By: Excessus

Re: Metal textures - 11/01/06 06:38

They're a bit too clean, but I'm sure they'll look good with a normalmap applied and some specular light.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Metal textures - 11/01/06 07:51

I see clearly the filters for rendered clouds, noise and sometimes a bit motion blur. You could apply such effects more subtle to generate more realism.

The scratches seem to be painted, copied, off-seted and multiplied / overlayed. But they need a bit variation. You could soften the ends, erase some parts. Use different thicknesses to add variation.

Re: Metal textures - 11/01/06 11:47

Quote:

simply add something like a height map and a shader for lighting and you could pass the level (with textures you've created)

I dont know how to do that I tryed btw , but maby I'll look into it deeper soon...
Quote:

I see clearly the filters for rendered clouds, noise and sometimes a bit motion blur. You could apply such effects more subtle to generate more realism.

I havent used motion blur I dont like it because it produces strange lines at the ends of the texture
Quote:

They're a bit too clean

And I tryed to make it more dirty at the ends of every segment of the textures like a wear effect , scratched and shiny in time done by humans...but it didnt looked good. I still have to learn that one
Quote:

The scratches seem to be painted, copied, off-seted and multiplied / overlayed. But they need a bit variation. You could soften the ends, erase some parts. Use different thicknesses to add variation.

And about that one ... you're right about the thickness , maby even I'll use diffrent colors sometimes. I did those exactly like you said , thats the only way I know and I did erased some parts in those textures but I guess it wasnt enough...
Later I'll post some more if I can reacreate the drawings I did (I use paper for concept )

PS.: Those are one of my first attempts , but I've used PhotoShop for buttons and Web logos , menu , effects for wallpaper...And btw the very first few attempts look promising in Photoshop and in my imagination on how they'll look in a game but they look horrible in 3DGS , dunno why.
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: Metal textures - 11/01/06 16:46

they look pretty good, nice work

Re: Metal textures - 11/01/06 19:28

Tnx to all for commenting
And here's another wall texture I just made , but I think it doesnt look so good. For some reason all of my wall textures dont look good

The rest of the room has been made with the other textures I created.
Tell me what do you think about the wall texture and what can I add/remove/edit to make it look better...

PS.: This time I used a pattern (fibers) on one of the segments of the wall texture , tell me how does it look (if I should continue using it for effects)
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Metal textures - 11/01/06 21:35

well as plain as the textures seem, it appears that you have a real good eye for what color schemes go good, especially in that last pic.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Metal textures - 11/01/06 21:50

I like the look of the textures EpsiloN !!
As already said, they look to clean but I'm sure you can adapt that easily ^^
Your on the right way, we may even call you Frank_G Jr. already

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Metal textures - 11/01/06 22:47

Thank you both for the kind words

frazzle , by clean what do you mean ? stains and more scratches ?
(Originaly they were ment to be simplified , clean textures for sci-fi labs and hi-tech underground bunkers/bases. I dont like stains because they look bad in-game , they reveal where the texture tiles...but I'll try a few with stains tommorow)

And here are 2 more screens , one (sorry , I forgot to give a closer look) of the wall to show the fibers effect of the texture (should I remove it?)

and one to show the other wall texture that I made 3 days ago , (thats the second , the one I posted above is the 3-rd , and the first...well you cant even tell thats a texture,so I wont post it looks plastic )

EDIT:
PS.: I forgot to mention , I hate faking pipes and other things like that , because they just look fake in-game viewed in low angle in close look , I always try to make my textures simple enough to add more level geometry (and sometimes models) to make those pipes or other little details...

Re: Metal textures - 11/03/06 16:39

2 more shots , this time its not metal (it will be used in sewers with metal pipes and metal floor , the floor will actualy be more like a platform above the dirty water)
how does it look ? (should I make the cracks smaller?)

Posted By: Damocles

Re: Metal textures - 11/03/06 16:45

The cracks are not bad in shape,
But they should get a more 3-dimensional look.
Try to use the cracks as a bumpap, and apply them to the texture,
so that they really look like cracks, and not like
painted on.

(light should come from above for the bumpmap,
as most of the time, a walltexture is used, the lights come from the top)
Posted By: RJDL

Re: Metal textures - 11/03/06 16:49

i think the cracks should be darker... now they look more like they're brushed on the wall, they should be more like black.
and...maybe the lines between the bricks should be thicker, now it looks like they are sealed seemless together.
the stones could be a bit more 'rough' i think, it would make the walls look more interesting.
apart from that they're pretty nice in my opinion, keep up the good work

Re: Metal textures - 11/03/06 17:27

Quote:

The cracks are not bad in shape,
But they should get a more 3-dimensional look.
Try to use the cracks as a bumpap, and apply them to the texture,
so that they really look like cracks, and not like
painted on.

Quote:

i think the cracks should be darker... now they look more like they're brushed on the wall, they should be more like black.

I dont want to use a bumpmap , because it needs a shader. I'm mainly aiming for older video cards wich dont support shaders...maby if I simulate height with another layer (white) moved 1 pixel right & 1 down. I'll try that in a few hours.
Quote:

maybe the lines between the bricks should be thicker, now it looks like they are sealed seemless together.
the stones could be a bit more 'rough' i think, it would make the walls look more interesting.

I thought about that , I'll try to make the edges of the bricks more decayed/cracked/weared so that it'll look less symetric , and the 'rough' part surprised me you're right , it does look a little soft (I was aiming more for a cement type of texture)
I'll try to improve those little things ("Everything is in the details!") in a few hours and I'll post another screen.

PS.: Thank you for all of your comments , it realy helps me master those techniques and improve my skills with textures! (A good level design,good scripting and good modeling is nothing without good texturing )
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Metal textures - 11/03/06 17:44

I am sure that he did not mean a real-time bump effect. You can calculate bumps in a 2d-program as well. At least GIMP can do that. Similar effects can be done with 2d-lighting-filters.
Posted By: draculaFactory

Re: Metal textures - 11/06/06 15:24

very spiffalicious
© 2024 lite-C Forums