some rain and some wind

Posted By: maybenew

some rain and some wind - 11/09/06 14:39

another environment, project almost finished... thanks for comments

Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/09/06 16:16

i like it. i didnt thought i would say it ever but some bloom for the background could add the little extra to the fog in this scene.

rain aint easy to make so it looks good. maybe you will post some video later on as well to show the scene in motion. i am sure this will look even better.

if there is one thing that could be added it would be shadows. maybe you find a way to fake them onto the ground (sprites, models, shader). this would be a great add on.

great work so far, keep it up and keep some shots and videos coming

cheers
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/09/06 18:14

I think for rain I can see too far. You need more fog. So you can reduce the clip range and speed up everything and even use more raindrops. Anyway, for the rain as it is now there is too less fog.
Posted By: broozar

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/09/06 18:34

though i like the overall atmosphere, the scene's lacking a lil contrast, eh? the houses look flat with no shades at all. even if the weather is dense like in your pics, there's still supposed to be some lighting.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/09/06 19:56

you'll see some of that contrast if he adds in some shadows, i think it looks great, and yeah, a little bloom might help a bit.
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/09/06 20:34

there are no shadows without sun. You could make it darker. When itīs raining like that itīs also more dark or my screen is maybe a little bit bright.

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/10/06 14:33

thanks for all the comments...

i think bloom will kill the performance, but if i find the time i will try...
reworked the raindrops, screens will follow...

well, the lighting is pretty poor, stencil shadows wont work (cant work withouth non-intersected models) and for prerendered shadows is literally no space (shader system does not support any more maps or skins)

will try to do some finetuning but with the RC deadline on monday things are a little tight around here...
Posted By: Edgecrusher

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/11/06 10:25

I like it

Could be used for a zombie shooter game
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/11/06 11:29

Or a very realistic RPG... with a great atmosphere =)

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/11/06 14:50

thanks for the kind words...
rpg or shooter are sure to follow...

added a little bloom... cuts the fps in half but its optional
(please dont mind the red dots in the right corner, they are radarmarkers but the radar is not visible)

same scene without blur...

Posted By: beegee

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/11/06 18:18

Looks much more impressive than above. First pics are kinda sulky.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/11/06 18:27

I think in general, it looks quite good !!
The total enviroment fits a WWI or WWII type of game
Well no comment about the bloom and other effect, I think they explained there point clear and I think the same way ^^ so only my C&C about the total look which you already read, was good

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/11/06 19:43

That background/horizont looks awesome... it really does ... I like it!
The only thing i don't like is the grass... It's great at the tips, I'd leave that part, but somehow you need to make it "flow" with the texture underneath. make it look like it acctually belongs there. right now it looks too cut off...
other than that: great!
Posted By: themgsman

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/11/06 22:01

I really like the trees, buildings, and textures. I think they go together well and give a nice feel to the environment. I do however think that the grass shapes are bit out of place, and look a bit ugly. I would either get rid of them altogether, or maybe just making them smaller would help. But they do take away from everything else.

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/11/06 22:50

I have never worked with grass, but here's my sugestion: make the bottom ends of the grass a bit longer/shorter on each sprite, so that it looks like some of the grass is closer to you than the other parts of the sprite. Don't change it much, otherwise it'll look weird when u get close, but just a bit... here's what I mean:
|| | | || |
|||| |||| |
|||||||||||
| ||| | ||
Imagine these lines to be the grass... you can see how some of it is longer at the bottom than other parts...
That would probably make it look less "cut off"...
Just my idea
Micha
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/12/06 01:45

... or just make it slightly transparent at the bottom (with a transition of transparency). You can create such a transition with a gradient in the alpha channel or with using a soft eraser tool with low opacity several times on your graphic.

by the way: Damocles told me that once.
Posted By: Straight_Heart

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/12/06 05:45

thats a very nice horizon, you can tell its a sunset. Looks something straight out of Brothers in Arms, very nice.

I second that comment about changing how abrupt those grass/wheat sprites close to the camera end when they touch the floor. Unfortunatly after seeing the beautiful sky and then seeing the cut off grass at the bottom hurts the suspension of belief. Dont worry ALOT of professional AAA games have these types of problems, but I'm not going to let you off easy because of that...:P

Whats up with those white rocks? They seem out of place.

Still, the screens are beautiful, would very much like to see some nazis being shot in front of that sky.

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/12/06 14:34

thank you for the ideas...
about the rocks: i reduced the ambient, thank you for the reminder, would habe forgotten it...

about the grass... i can not change the models itself anymore (to many files and lods, etc...), but i will try scaling it down and reducing the max alpha of the fading in... will keep you posted...
thanks for the suggestions
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/15/06 16:37

Quote:

there are no shadows without sun.

Thats not true, there are always shadows, even if the light is very diffuse. For one thing, the sky is a diffuse light even if the sun is hidden.

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/15/06 18:32

i agree, even if there is no directional cast shadow, there is always light of the sky...

for this reason i added half dynamic prerendered soft-shadows for buildings and trees...

(also added motion blur, but not that good visible on screenshots)

Posted By: mk_1

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/15/06 19:15

Remove/reduce bloom. Looks much better without it.

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/15/06 19:29

but i like the bloom...

no problem, if you dont like the bloom you can deactivate it in the options menu
user's choice

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/17/06 17:50

Dunno why, but the grass looks a lot better on the last two screens. probably the color. Great job!!
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/17/06 18:17

Quote:

Remove/reduce bloom. Looks much better without it.

Currently it seems to ruin the nice color balance you previously had without the bloom. Personally I like more contrast, but now the old (green) colors don't fit anymore.

Cheers
Posted By: zwecklos

Re: some rain and some wind - 11/17/06 19:26

WoW looks very nice!
the motion blur effect looks really cool.
one thing for perfection: the trees looks all very similar to each other. Would be cool if there would be more diffrence between each tree, it is clearly that this task take a lot of ressources and time but if you find the right balance it will be an acceptable increase of the overall view.

keep up the good work and cheers

zwecklos
Posted By: chaotic_dragon

Re: some rain and some wind - 12/11/06 09:57

hey im making an online multiplayer fps and wanna know wat u think bout doin the modeling for the game and takeing all the credit pm bout wat u reckon or email me at cdtjones69@hotmail.com

cheers ~chaotic_dragon~
Posted By: TWO

Re: some rain and some wind - 12/12/06 19:04

Hey, I wunna make a engine, betta then gAmEsTuIdo!!11 Or should I just aSk in da __Jobs OffErEd__ forum and souldnīt spam in a tread where someone presents his project heīs makeing for someone?!?

Alter Schwede...
© 2024 lite-C Forums