Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game

Posted By: Pedro_Amorim

Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/06/07 23:56

Hi all.
I don't have much time to write a big description for the game im going to do, so i will edit this post tomorrow. Just wanted to create the topic and say its gonna be a paintball game. I started doing the gun. Here it is.

More info tomorrow:D
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 01:26

good detail, whats the poly count like, and could you post a wireframe?
Posted By: demiGod

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 10:36

Its looking very good, but i think the polycount can be a problem for such great detail..
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 10:42

I think the polycount is around 1500, and it's not too high =D

looks great, now the skin I'm expecting to see highquality skin over it, concidering the real-factor of the weapon (hey, you even have the airvents!

waiting for more info and screens for this
Posted By: ulf

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 10:49

those grip wrapping the tube from the gas can should be more forward to the barell of the gun.
i was playing paintball a week ago for 5 hours in a row inside an old hall with 2 floors. the main floor was like a construction yard and the cellar was an abandonded one with lots of armoires, even an old washing room like in a scary horror movie and very dark. we where a group from the university playing 6vs6 and it was lots of fun! man was i exhausted the next day.
thats why i remember the grip thing, my gun missed it so i had to hold it with one hand or at the barrel and that was unconfortable, others had those grip and it was made so a hand could fit inbetween the grip and the trigger safety.

looking forward to seeing more from this game, may i ask what you study and where?
greetings!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 10:52

ulf: it may be this is onehand version okay, it seemed strange to me, but didn't give any points to it (since didn't have exact vision of one).

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 12:38

Hi again.
So i have new pics with wireframes.
here they are

The tri count is at 3000tris exactly.
I chanegd some stuff from the reference picture in order to lower the tri count.

This is gonna be a multilayer game im going to to as my college thesis.
I study multimedia at ISMAI here in Portugal.
I chose to do this because i like video games and 3d art.

Next im going to do some inflatables and stuff like that to populate the field ppl will be playing on:D

Also need to make the characters and animations:D

Darn, this is gonna be tough.
I hope to learn new things in this forum with all of you guys:D
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 15:24

Nice, at least a diffent kind of
Gun, the the 1000th Baretta or AK47 Model.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 17:51

hey Demigod, just saw that your from portugal.nice. same here.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 19:32

Nice paintball gun Pedro, you've added great detail with a semi-low polycount which I can concluded from that you master box modeling quite well if I look at the wire frame of the model so nice job
Can't wait to see this skinned

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 19:33

So. My college has bought 3d GameStudio 6.50 but i havent used it yet, so i dont know the new features it contains.
One thing that i would like to know is info relating Multi-Subobject in 3d studio max, i.e is gamestudio 6.50 able to import meshes from 3d studio max with multi sub object texturing.? more than one texture per model?
Because if so i was thinking of using 2 textures for the gun. 1 1024^2 and one 1024*512 for the barrel and other stuff.

Does anyone know? How about a good export plugin for max8?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 19:38

Quote:

Nice paintball gun Pedro, you've added great detail with a semi-low polycount which I can concluded from that you master box modeling quite well if I look at the wire frame of the model so nice job
Can't wait to see this skinned

Cheers

Frazzle

Thanks Frazzle
I actually use the edge extrude method which is actually pretty good:D

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 19:41

Quote:

Thanks Frazzle
I actually use the edge extrude method which is actually pretty good:D

Oke, so actually you started from a box which you extruded

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 19:43

Quote:

more than one texture per model?

This is possible, just hit the import in MED

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/07/07 21:04

Frazzle: i actually used a plane
Edge extrude is also known as plane modelling.

Inestical: I import the 3ds file created from max, i locate the two files that im using but then they dont appear inside med. :|

Is it because im using an old version?
Im waiting for my school to get me the 6.50 version.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/08/07 13:54

Help anyone?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/08/07 17:03

figuring out model importing and exporting is always a frustrating task, you might want to ask here:

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/UBB14

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/08/07 17:34

Hi Pedro,

Your paintball gun its looking awesome and your concept game idea looks really nice and promising. However, if you dont have much experience with 3DGS yet, your task can be very hard, because game development alone can be a really pain in the arss..

In the other hand, if you are convict of your ideas and implementation you will be succeed for sure and of course with the help of this great 3dgs community.

About 3ds max exporting thing, i cant give you 100% formulas because i dont have 3ds max and dont use it, but i can give you some hints i heard, where you can export max to mdl with animation too if needed:

1) In downloads page you have a plugin that export .mdl files from max but its a little outdated and i believe you only can export one texture (a standard diffuse map only), and sometimes it doesnt work, or;

2) There is a .x format exporter for max called Panda .x and then you can import it to MED, or;

3) There is a Ultimate Unwrap3D exporter for max, but then you need to have U3D which isnt expensive and then export to mdl (via U3D exporter), or;

4) There is a program called Deep Exploration (relative expensive software)that can open max files directly (via DCOM), and then export to .x format and then import into Milkshape or Fragmotion, or directly into MED;

Well, probably there are easiest ways to do this so other users can tell you if so.

I hope it helps and good luck with your interesting project !
If you need help just ask.
Cheers.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/13/07 20:27

So my teacher said today that they bought two licenses of 3dgamestudio 6.50 for me and my other colleague that is doing a game as well. I hope to get it this week so i can start messing arround with the new features.
I'll be sure to post the stuff i do. in the meanwhile here is the poster for my thesis. Its in portuguese but how well:D

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/13/07 21:09

nice to see your progress, please keep us all informed. iam really interested in this project.
have you thought about what multiplayer base you intend to use? i suggest you to read through the multiplayer forum for that.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/13/07 21:58

Yeah, ulf is right you better plan well what you want to do with the multiplayer system, because some problems may occour although 3dgs can handle it for sure.

I think this project its very interesting and i wish you good luck on it. Also, if you fall in troubles just ask.

Cheers
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/14/07 14:08

hey, that gun is very well done. Great job.
it's amazing how it all fits.. wow!
I like it a lot.
Good luck with your game!
Posted By: aztec

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/14/07 15:22

I think it looks really good
keep going at it I have a good felling
about this one

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/18/07 13:35

did some bunkers to test out normal maps.
i think they look good, so im gonna make now the final ones, since this one was a bit rushed.

what do you think?

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/18/07 13:41

looks very good
Posted By: ambe

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/18/07 13:48

Neat
Posted By: achaziel

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/18/07 15:19

nicccccce....

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/18/07 15:21

very sweet dude

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/18/07 15:39

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/18/07 15:45

Looking nice Pedro, the normal mapping you applied was a good idea and gives it a realistic look !! Keep up the great work, btw when are you planning to release a possible demo

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/18/07 15:51

wow, it looks great! keep it up

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/18/07 19:34

is that last one really just normal mapped ?!
what is it rendered in ?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/19/07 00:22

the last one isnt normal mapped. its a high poly model. screenshot taken inside Mudbox. www.mudbox.com

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/25/07 02:02

Latest pic.
got the model ingame. the texture is 100%self illuminated.
now i need to start the texture:D

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/25/07 02:03

is there such thing as antialiasing in gametstudio?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 03/25/07 05:01

eh, no, but most people if they really wanted it could set it thru there graphics card settings.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 04/21/07 01:18

Hi all, im having a little problems.
Im trying to import into med some terrain i did in 3d studio max.
i can import it as a model, but then i cant convert it to terrain. i use the convert to terrain option but it doesnt work and i can only save and mdl.

this would be ok, but this way i cant seem to have colision to the terrain.

another thing. i made models in max to add to the level. but when i import them into wed, i pass trhu them. anyway to define a physycs box?
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 04/21/07 05:17

right click the models -> properties -> enable polygon collision

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 04/22/07 03:28

its not working. i ticked the polygon but it didnt work.
any ideas?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 04/22/07 15:29

Hi Pedro,

In order to have precise collision detection you need to use c_move instruction for the entities movement.

Imagine you have a player with a gun and a terrain (MDL). Your player needs to be moved with c_move (not ent_move or changing coordinates directly) and the terrain will have the my.polygon = on flag enabled.

Do not enable my.polygon = on, on moving entities, just in static objects, otherwise they will stuck each other.

Cheers.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 04/22/07 19:16

@pedro: you definitely need to merge your vertices. as i can see from the model's in-engine shading, all faces aren't connected which produces the flat-shading look. this is a known problem for importing files, esp. 3ds and obj files, int MED. How to sove:
1)import your model in MED
2)go to vertices selection mode
3)tools>mesh tester (may take a lil while)
4)you get a message box about "closed"(good) and "open"(bad) meshes.
5)klick OK and now "merge" (toolbar>right)

ps: very nice model., congrats. the ammo skins are beautiful as well. impressive!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/01/07 20:40

Update

The model is almost finished. need to make some minor tweaks, then i need to do the unwrap, finish it i mean. and off to texturing

Another shot

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 03:09

So. I Started texturing the hooper (the thing that goes on top of the gun where you put your paintballs) and he looks hot on MED and WED.

THe problem is when i run the level and get this weird problem.
here:

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 12:56

Anyone?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 13:47

the alpha in med is on. click on skin settings(in manage skin) then click the "material setup" button off ..
Posted By: Nems

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 17:53

Great work Pedro and very profesionally presented too...

You may be interested to know that a high poly model can be halved in its poly count by judicious use of "cuts", that is, your model cut so that the camera presented half is all that there is of the model. You will need several different versions to match view angles but you can get away with a huge poly reduction effect with this technique.
For me, the prob with this technique is scripting it.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 21:26

Quote:

the alpha in med is on. click on skin settings(in manage skin) then click the "material setup" button off ..

thanks for your tip:D i tried what you said but it continued not to work. then i uncheckd the 32bit in the texture format to 24bit since it was a tga, and it removed the alpha channel:D its llooks good now:D

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 21:39

Also, maybe you should look at clip_size variable in the manual (default 0.5), if you use high poly models this variable must be zero.
However, this will slow the frame rate a little, so you have to balance and decide what configuration you want.

Btw, it looks great.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 21:44

whats clip_size?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 21:52

From the manual:

Quote:

clip_size
This variable (default 0.5) gives the minimum number of pixels that must be covered by a z buffer shadow triangle for being rendered. With the default value, triangles are not rendered if they are smaller than half a pixel. This increases the frame rate, but can lead to "holes" in z buffer shadows of high polygon models. When using high polygon models, clip_size should be set to 0.

But you should change this value only if you see holes or other artifacts in the mesh and its shadow at runtime..

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 21:56

ahh, i see. but in my case i dont have that many little triangles as it appear

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 22:01

Great, so you dont have to worry about that.
Im still curious to see the whole gun textured, hope it will be soon..
Btw, how will be your level maps, have you though about that already?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 22:08

Yep.
Im gonna do something like this:

this is from a paintball modification for call of duty.
i plan on doing something similar to this

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 22:10

although i have no idea how to do this.
i will probably do all the map in 3d studio max as well as the models for the map.
then, i will light the map inside max and bake the textures on the models with the lightning. im thinking its best this way.unless someone as better ideas

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 22:48

i was looking at iceX editor because that looks really great.
I could make the models and stuff and then add them inside the editor. The main point for this would be because of the shadowmaps it creates.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 23:18

I have Icex editor and used it for some time but unfortanly i never reached great results. Maybe it was just me and i must admit i didnt worked hard for such results.
In huge worlds i never reached good frame rates and i never understood why it didnt support z-buffer / dynamic / soft shadows. It compiles a shadow map its true, if you like those shadows its a possibility.

I dont know if icex editor was updated meanwhile, because there was some issues with version 6.4 or superior, with the object placement / physics, but im not sure right now.

As for your first idea, if you have max skills and it is your modelling package i think it is possible to do that, its a fact you have to bake the textures.

Also, you may consider some plugins to obtain great soft shadows and other shader stuff like bloom and some post processing effects - Sylex 3 (free) or sphere engine.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 23:28

the gun is looking good. i would suggest you to only do placeholder models right now and try to get a little prototype running as soon as possible. so you can get a feeling whats possible. especially with multiplayer - that is the hardest part if you plan doing it over the internet. have a look at locoweeds tutorials for a simple lan shooter and read other tutorials on how to otpimize it for the net.

doing everything out of models is a good idea. look at heelx video http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/750276/an/0/page/0#Post750276

in this thread. there are a number of ways you can do this. i think icex even supports splitting a huge terrain in several .mdl files after modeling and painting it but iam not shure if it works well with the latest A6.

great to follow your progress, keep going!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/05/07 23:36

Thanks for the motivation.
and yeah you are right about making the placeholder models.

i need to finish the marker/hands/animations for firt person shooter. so i can start coding the splats and stuff, coding the physics of air and such.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/06/07 00:28

If you need help with programming send me a PM, your models look good and your concpets are clear...

good work,
xXxGuitar511
Posted By: Jay_Watergate

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/06/07 02:51

I really like the concept of a paintball game, because it has a different dynamic that seperates it from your every day FPS. Also, I just love playing paintball . Your models look great so far, and your concept also sounds nice. I dont know if you have gotten this far into the planning yet, but what are you thinking about including for gameplay (IE: Capture the Flag, Total Elimination, Medic, Hunter, ect.) You could really have a lot of fun with this project, because there are so many different ways to play paintball. Ill be looking foreward to seeing how this all comes together.

Regards

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/07/07 13:51

finished the hopper
Posted By: bstudio

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/07/07 13:59

normalmapped? looks awsome

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/07/07 14:56

nope.:D
its just a normal texture:D

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/09/07 14:44

update on the marker texture.

what do you think?
im mainly concentrating on the parts that wil be visible.

Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/09/07 14:59

good work
Posted By: tompo

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/09/07 15:16

nice 3d modeling and texturing LoL

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/09/07 15:56

Quote:

nice 3d modeling and texturing LoL

thanks, just hope you are not being sarcastic
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/09/07 16:27

No, it really looks very cool and detailed

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/09/07 16:46

impressive, indeed! baked textures?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/09/07 18:18

yes, i used vray to bake a ambient oclusion map, then i took the map to photoshop and edited it.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/09/07 19:17

nice, its exactly how i do my textures... nice to know im not the only one who cheats when it comes to shadowing

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/09/07 20:41

ololo, its not cheating.
its called being clever:P
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/09/07 21:46

Nice work, it really shows this tricks works perfectly.

Cheers

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/11/07 03:04

Some progress for today:D

I hope you dont mind the big image.
If so, tell me, and i will make a link for the image.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/11/07 10:12

No way If someone put large image of crap then I'm annoyed but not whith your project. Proffesional looking

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/11/07 12:22

awesome. simply awesome.
Posted By: JoaoR

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/11/07 15:53

that weapon looks awesome!
keep it up...

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/11/07 16:01

It looks realy nice very cool
are you working alone on this project?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/11/07 18:26

indeed i am.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/14/07 02:30

yeah. worked on the grip plus some misc stuff. need to get started on other things, such as making hands + animating them.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/14/07 06:35

It looks better and better... great job
but it's true... so much to do and not to much time if you work alone
But looking at your progress and skills... You'll find a job in some prof company if You'll want to ofcourse

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/14/07 07:01

amazing work pedro, would you mind sharing your workflow for the community?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/14/07 22:42

Hi guys.
I been doing the the c-script workshops and im at the panels workshop.
Im trying to use tga files in the panels but its giving me an error saying it cant open the tga. heres the code.

im using tga with alpha channel.
The alpha channel has a gradient so the transparency is gradial.

heres the code.

var video_mode = 7;
var screen_color[3] = 150,0,0;
var video_depth = 32;
var d3d_alphadepth = 32;

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BMAP panelFirst = "teste.tga"; // my first panel

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PANEL first_pan
{
pos_x = 0;
pos_y = 0;
layer = 1;
bmap = panelFirst;
flags = OVERLAY, VISIBLE;
}

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/14/07 23:14

try using this flags and see if it helps. it works for me this way.

flags = d3d, overlay, refresh,transparent;

also make shure the .tga is 32bit

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/15/07 00:24

1) Don't Use overlay

2) Use <> instead of ""
BMAP panelFirst = <teste.tga>;

3) Make sure the image is in the work folder and that the file is not corrupt

4) What exactly is the error? The more info the better!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/29/07 00:56

Hi all, did a little more work.
I have the hands in place (hands are from counterstrike source, and skin is from fpsbanana.com) and exported them to med. The anims are coming along also.
I just need something to start testing out the camera and paintballs.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/29/07 04:19

Pro quality! Are hands and the weapon single model? What is the texture size and overall poly count?
Good luck with your project!
Posted By: Nicolas_B

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/29/07 04:59

Realy nice textur. Its a nice work
Good luck for you project.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/29/07 09:53

Go away Pedro... I will have inferiority complex of You
Great Job... Pro stuff
Keep working, coding, thinking, modeling... and Good Luck

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/29/07 09:56

very great work. But are you allowed to use those hands if they'Re from counterstrike?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/29/07 11:00

Well, since this isnt for a comercial project, i think i can, if i mention the source of it.

I made my own, but since time is running out, i skipped this step so i dont have to waste time doing the skin for it and th rigging.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/30/07 14:50

holy crap, this looks amazing! keep up the awesome work, i wanna see more!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/31/07 01:54

thanks doom:D

well. im having some hard time exporting animations to med.
im using bones in 3d studio max to animate the hands using physique. but im having trouble exporting them.
I tried exporting to .ase but without success, same with .fbx.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/31/07 10:22

there is a plugin on the 3dgs downloads page for a max plugin that allows a perfect export.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/31/07 10:40

Quote:

there is a plugin on the 3dgs downloads page for a max plugin that allows a perfect export.

which is this link to be exact:

http://download.conitec.net/max6tomdl.zip

good job on the normal maps btw, im loving those
regards,
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/31/07 10:47

I am quite sure that you are not allowed to use those meshes from Valve. You can create a MOD in the source engine. But you should read the license. Artworks are not allowed to use outside of their games.

Better make your own meshes. You learn better how to texture and unwrap.

By the way: the weapon cylinder at the front gets light from top and bottom. Strange.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 05/31/07 20:54

Hi Frank,
I did my own hands and unwrapped them, but havent had time to skin them or to rig them. One tutorial i downloaded to learn animation of weapons/hands brought within the zip, this hands that were already rig, which are the ones ppl use to animate for css. I', just taking a little shortcut here in order to dont waste time while i could do other things like learning cscript. In the end, this is just a college thesis, its not a comercial game, if i end up doing all i want and still have time left i will use to to skin and rig the hand i made, if not, well. i wont.
Im not trying to hurt anybody with this, its just a matter of time that i dont have. Regarding the texture of the hand, they are downloaed from fps banana, so i will end up asking permission for its use.

I hope it clears. But even if you still think that i shouldn't do it, then that's fine, but i need to do it, because i want to finish this to end my degree.

Pedro Amorim

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/08/07 22:56

Hi all.
So after a long break due to wrist problems. I was in physiotherapy for like 2 weeks, taking care of my back and wrists. They still aren't fine but anyways i need to get to work.

Here are the first person anims i did for the paintball gun.
http://www.pedroamorim.com/stuff/monografia/anims.mov

They are a bit clumsy because animation isnt my strong. Hope you like em'.
Now i need to import them in med and start adding some code to create a fps camera and to be able to shoot paintballs.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/09/07 06:59

they look awesome. Keep up the good work.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/09/07 08:42

yes they are looking great

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/09/07 17:39

Indeed, keep it the good work then

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/09/07 20:35

A very small video but the small 'piek' maded me even more curious about the game itself, this looks very promising

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/10/07 16:55

tweaking the animations so they dont look so robotic.
is this better?
http://www.pedroamorim.com/stuff/monografia/anims2.mov

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/10/07 17:59

holy [censored], this looks just awesome! i'm really looking foreward to the reload animation

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/10/07 18:39

btw. does anyone know of a good demo of a fps game that uses weapon animation and a cool first camera? so that demiGod and i can download it and inspect the code?
btw, just wanted to thanks demiGod for all the help he gave me so far. much respect. thanks man

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/10/07 18:42

Quote:

holy [censored], this looks just awesome! i'm really looking foreward to the reload animation

when i started the project i was thinking of doing a cool reload animation where he raises the lid of the hopper and stuff but i ended up scraping the idea to a simpler one. you can see it in the anim. its the second anim. he raises the gun then raises up. during the period where the gun is hidden you will hear the sound of the hopper being reloaded with more balls.

its much easy and simples this way.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/10/07 18:43

Pro

PS: First Personshooter with cool firstperson cam -> Contests: Crappy Game Contest: Level2.rar

I liked the camera in level2. Getting to level2 is very easy and quick.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/10/07 19:42

Quote:

tweaking the animations so they dont look so robotic.
is this better?
http://www.pedroamorim.com/stuff/monografia/anims2.mov

Your one hell of a tweaker

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: exodusX

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/10/07 20:42

looking very cool

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/10/07 21:15

did another update. added some animation to the fingers.
anybetter?
http://www.pedroamorim.com/stuff/monografia/anims3.mov

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/10/07 22:35

...... is there something better than pro...?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/10/07 23:58

lolol
thanks man.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/11/07 06:02

uber pro. You can but you shouldn´t take too much time with very little details.

Every game could be done with more and more detail as it has. But then it would never be finished. You must see how much detail you want. There must also be some kind of detail balance. I think it´s better to put more of such details into cut scenes or something.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/15/07 17:25

finished the bunker

working hard with demigod to have a prototype as soon as possible.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/15/07 17:32

This is getting better the minute you update it

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/15/07 17:56

I just can agree

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/15/07 18:04

word!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/20/07 19:05

Hi all

here's a new update. This is the map were the game will take place.

http://www.pedroamorim.com/stuff/monografia/Mapita.wmv

Added a little bloom in after effects just for kicks.

Now i only need to wait for oliver to release the new version of IceX so i can buy it and make in gamestudio.

Tomorrow i will start on the character.

Cheers.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/20/07 19:09

DAMN nice
Unbeleaveable looking really great will there also be an english version for this game?
Wishing you best luck on that charackter too
Regards
Aztec

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/20/07 19:10

is it just me or is that map a little bit small? nice graphics, awesome use of shaders, but i'd rather enjoy bigger maps with more tactical possibilities. just besides

EDIT: oh, btw... change the tree a little bit and the graphics are perfect^^

a friend of mine once told me about a paintballmatch in an old factory over two or three floors, maybe you could include such a level as well? would be really nice. and don't forget about the color grenades! xD

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/20/07 19:22

the map looks small because of the camera. dont forget this is a render from max.
in the game the first person view will make everything look bigger..

tree with leaves?

i have no idea if i should do the map at night or day time.

maybe both would be cool. i think.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/20/07 19:26

ah, ok, got it...

yup, add some leaves to it and make the changeover between log and branches a little bit softer.

why don't you let the player choose about day or night before each match? would be a good compromise if you want to include both.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/20/07 22:18

Looks Great, I have high hopes about this game. Keep Up the good work.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/20/07 23:11

aztec, yeah there will be a english version. I mean probabbly the game will be in english from the start. hehe
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/21/07 07:50

You did a great job pedro_amorim, good texturing and nice modelling. I hope you can convert it to a real-time project.

Doom, Aztec:
This is a rendered scene with post-processing applied. There are softshadows, anti-aliasing and per-pixel-lighting.
I think it will not look the same in real-time. You know how much problems we all have with soft-shadows, bloom or per-pixel lighting. Pedro has to do many hacks (ventilators plugin, sylex or the upcoming dll from Matt, shaders). But he is not a Gamestudio veteran. So it might reveal some disenchantment when converted to 3dgs.

But nevertheless: I wish you all the best! It would be great to see a small but good looking project anytime soon.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/21/07 09:05

Thanks Friendly_Frank
Yeah, its a rendered scene and you are right when i say results will probably not be the same which will make me sad.
That's why i have been eager to know if IceX can bake softshadows on terrain from models making them believable and not like floating on the ground. I never tried ventilator's plugin, so yeah. lets see what will come out of this.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/21/07 14:38

@friendly_frank: thanks, i have the ability to read, so i knew that this one's rendered. thanks anyway.

but i'm sure it will look damn good without rendering and pps too, so i don't worry about pre-rendered or not.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/26/07 12:09

I've said it and I'll say it again, your updates keep on looking better and better. With this statement, I'm very curious to witness the end result

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/28/07 19:21

Can someone tell me how i align text to the right?
I'm searching in the help and only see center_x, doesnt say nothing about right_x.

what should i do?

also, the text is always cut at the end of the last character. why is that?
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/28/07 20:03

they asked for that feature a few times...but it wasn'T realized jet i guess

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 08/28/07 20:14

:X
well, if they have center align it would be most logical no have right align.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/10/07 20:41

demiGod (which is helping me out with the code) has having a little problem with some multiplayer issues.

can someone try and see if you can help him out?

here's the thread.

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/784403/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD

the faster we can sort bugs out, the faster we can have a demo out.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 00:28

update

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 13:12

front and left view for better view and/or critique

what do you think?
cool?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 13:19

not cool...excellent
only texture can make it even better
Posted By: checkbutton

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 13:31

Dont' know but isn't it better, if you model the battle pack separately?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 13:35

yeah. the pod pack that goes arround his waist.
its not done yet. i will have to finish it today.
then i'll post some pics.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 13:37

ok. well done, though.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 17:34

another update
it stands at 3452 tris

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 17:38

What is the polycount?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 17:48

Quote:

another update
it stands at 3452 tris

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 18:27

Great updates Pedro, looking forward to see the game

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 18:49

oops, sorry i haven't noticed it
Really good, how much players do you plan to have visible at the same time?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/21/07 19:07

man Iw ould so dam buy this game if it was out.
great work cant wait for the textured one

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/22/07 00:01

very nice... as always.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/25/07 15:39

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/25/07 15:58

the picture says it all

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/25/07 16:27

you have some incredible modeling skills.... how long did it take to model that?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/25/07 19:00

I like his hands and shoes
No, serious, very, very nice.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 09/26/07 16:35

Great detail indeed, especially in those trousers
Like I already mentioned, can't wait to play the game itself !!

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/03/07 12:26

redid the uvs and started the jersey.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/03/07 12:53

Nice as usual
only comment - logo on his breast is too bright compared to the overal color

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/03/07 13:02

yeah.
your rigt.

also. i dont like that logo very much.
need to find a new one.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/03/07 13:26

Man Pedro this is just too awesome to beleave

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/03/07 16:28

omfg, awesome work as always. no need to say more.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/03/07 18:35

Great modeling skills like we already knew and it proves itself in this model
Btw, the spaces to breath through looked at a first glance like it had something from the maskes from Star Wars but when I review it a second time, it wasn't ^^
Keep up the great work Pedro !!

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/04/07 17:29

I can't wait to get something of your stuffe to play between my fingers...

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/04/07 18:55

update on the pants

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/04/07 19:58

Keep'em comming Pedro

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/05/07 06:13

cool nice camo stylee

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/06/07 16:32

oh come on! GET THAT GAME DONE ALREADY! I WANT TO PLAY IT!!! lol

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/06/07 17:39

gloves.

the game is already playable. sort of.
gameplay is being done at the moment. ie. the respawn when you get killed. and that stuff. once its done. you will be able to play it.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/06/07 18:23

I would so damn like to help you
but Im sure you can do it all by yourself
amazing work there as allways

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/06/07 19:41

i think here is nothing more to say...just great work

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/07/07 06:42

...One big question on my mind though. With all this high-quality artwork, how is the performance?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/07/07 19:38

update:

the performance is good.
in order to save memory space. every texture is in dds format.
that alone makes a huge diference.

Posted By: Edgecrusher

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/07/07 19:47

Nice depth of field effect
Great work. Keep it up

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/07/07 20:20

Great looking model, putting all the little bits together show your real skills
Good to hear the the framerate is stable

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/07/07 22:51

The tip of the fingers of the gloves should be a bit wider.
Finger and Leather of the glove together are thicker than that.
(especially of the small finger)

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/08/07 12:13

WOW... absolutely awesome.
I like this style more than the camo one... but that's just my opinion.
COOL!
can't wait to see him animated

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/08/07 12:31

Yeah, everything fits nice and proportions are perfect(except for that finger thing mentioned by Damocles). And, please don't do that DOF with your screens, i thought something wrong is with my eyesight j\k

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 16:40

update:
shoes are made.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 17:31

would you mind if i'd kidnap you and force you to model for me? lol

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 17:38

Quote:

lol.
not a problem. just need a new woman everynight and a six pack. and im good to go. lol

hi res version:
http://www.pedroamorim.com/stuff/monografia/Update.jpg

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 18:09

lol

i'll see what i can do.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 18:49

Great update as always
Btw, when are you planning to release the game ??

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 19:10

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 19:41

seconded.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 22:00

changed the pants.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 22:03

Quote:

Quote:

lol.
not a problem. just need a new woman everynight and a six pack. and im good to go. lol

hi res version:
http://www.pedroamorim.com/stuff/monografia/Update.jpg

if you really mean this, you can come over by tomorrow
Posted By: JoaoR

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 23:25

just pro!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/09/07 23:53

thanks man
Posted By: DaMaher3D

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/10/07 01:08

Whoa! Great looking model, Pedro! The texture is really amazing, & the normal map on the bunkers looks great!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/10/07 19:46

Like I already mentioned alot, looking great !!

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 00:38

Sorry for the big pictures.

Almost done.
Only need to do the pods behind his back. and belt!! DAMNNN im almost done!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 01:25

Hi all. I'm having a little issues regarding exporting animation.
Its like this.
I have biped set up on the model and you can see on pic1.
i have a run animation.
i export the scene as an FBX with the settings you see in the image.
Then i import in med (using gs 7.05) using the fbx2006 importer.
I proced to check the bones in the list and take off the convert to points animation.
OK. the model loads. But it is facing downwards.
When i press the animate button. He imediatly takes the animation position.

My question is. . How do i made the model not be facing down?
I want it to be facin forwards like he is on max.
Any idea?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 06:54

just rotate him in MED, and looking very good there

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 09:13

Ok, the problem is.. since im using bones animation. (and i want the bones to be exported as well something wrong happens.

here is a pic.

As you can see, i have my model facing downwards and i enter bones mode so you can see the bones in the model.

I proced to rotate him in med 90degrees.
Then i enter bones mode again.. And the bones are in the orginal place. They havent rotated with the model.
ok..
When i enter in animation mode. You can clearly see that the model loses integeity. Becomes all distorted.

In the last pic. i tried rotatin the bones 90 degress as well but the results are equal. the animations loses integrity.

Any help?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 10:42

I think you need to connect the bones to the mesh itself, not sure which option that is in MED, I'll look it up when I get home

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 12:03

there is a option in the newest med to rotate the hole model with all its bones etc. think you should try it

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 12:07

it's an FBX export bug, you should bug conitec with this, there's a thread on this allready opened: Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation?

good looking though!!

regards,

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 15:47

what about that switch? "world coordinate system up axis"? that's it... change it to "z".

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 16:30

Already tried that. And its still the same.
Im on my computer now. So im gonna try updating the new FBX importers.
Let's see if it works.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 17:30

Ok, im having the same problem as you guys.
The model imports facing downwards and when i hit the animate button he becomes in its right place.
I tried using the FBX importers jcl posted a couple posts back. and its still the same.
OK. now the fun part.
I tried importing the same fbx in gs 7.0 (med 6.86) and it worked fine but in a diferent way. I.e. THe model is imported and the first frame of the animation is the default position of the model.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 20:43

Quote:

there is a option in the newest med to rotate the hole model with all its bones etc. think you should try it

where do i do that?
i want to change the pivot from the feet to the belly.
pic:

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/11/07 22:19

is there a way to change the pivote point of the model?
i dont want the pivot point to be at the feet, i want them to come up, to where the pivot is in 3d studio max which is at the bottow of the torso. more or less

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 05:44

the origin is the pivot point, just move the model so that the origin is in the point you want to pivot around.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 13:35

Ok, this idea isnt working.
Because ok. i changed the pivot of the bones and model to where i wanted it, but i just saw now, that the model is animated but the bones dont move within the model.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 14:18

Quote:

Ok, im having the same problem as you guys.
The model imports facing downwards and when i hit the animate button he becomes in its right place.
I tried using the FBX importers jcl posted a couple posts back. and its still the same.
OK. now the fun part.
I tried importing the same fbx in gs 7.0 (med 6.86) and it worked fine but in a diferent way. I.e. THe model is imported and the first frame of the animation is the default position of the model.

ok, here's an idea that worth a shot!

in max, copy frame 1, and duplicate it to the 2nd frame (creating a new frame inbetween the current frame 1 and 2).
so you have 2 frames 1, before the animation starts.

now, export, and inside MED, remove the first frame completely.
that might work.

regards,

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 14:41

That would be a nice idea. The problem is that the FBX importer from med 6.86 doesnt animate the bones.
The model is imported and so is the bones. but the bones dont animate. only the model.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 16:53

you can import the model in blender and then export ist to mdl from blender.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 17:44

Quote:

Will it export the bones?
SO, i import in blender. the fbx? then export to mdl?

By the way. here it is. the final texture.

Link to bigger image:
http://www.pedroamorim.com/stuff/monografia/Final2.jpg

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 17:50

pure win

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 17:57

yes it will export bones you mus set the bones to the 2. layer

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 18:19

Quote:

Quote:

Will it export the bones?
SO, i import in blender. the fbx? then export to mdl?

By the way. here it is. the final texture.

Link to bigger image:
http://www.pedroamorim.com/stuff/monografia/Final2.jpg

great!!! now a blue version, and you have a great start on team fragging

regards,

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 18:19

Quote:

yes it will export bones you mus set the bones to the 2. layer

I dont know anything about blender?=
whats the 2. layer?
is that related to the mdl export or with blender itself?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 18:47

ist related for the mdl export.if you want i can make it for you.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 20:01

How do i load the fbx in blender? do i need a plugin?

could you make a little tutorial?

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/12/07 20:45

i noticed that blender can't import fbx files.can you save your model to 3ds also or to something else.if not you should search an fbx importer for blender.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/13/07 10:06

What about a TGA-Skin or so? Then let the user choose the color? Don't Know.
Great work, though.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 10/13/07 10:46

..... i don'T think that i have anything new to say here. stunning work.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/15/07 20:44

After a long hiatus, here it is!
Xtreme Paintball!
The game is done, and well. school is over.

the resolution is made to 1280*1024.
you can use both fingers to fire. alternating with each other.
THe musics are, from Rival Schools, well they broke up some time ago.
And also from Audiovent.

I have yet to add a credits screen to the end which i still havent.
I had to deliver the game and thesis today so, i couldnt finish everything up. But in the next days i will add some more stuff.

This game is LAN based, so if you only have one pc at home, you can try run the server and client on the same machine to see the player model.

Game:
http://www.pedroamorim.com/stuff/monografia/Xtreme_Paintball_Setup.rar
PICS:

Bye

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/15/07 21:04

great, congratulations!
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/15/07 22:13

Great!

sadly my resolution is max at 1280x800, and I don't have the possibility to try on lan... oh well, should have read before I downloaded for 40 minutes.
EDIT: nice music

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/15/07 23:48

just a short comment from my side. first of all nice that you finished it!

-good level design
-overall good use of graphics
-superb models
-nice interface (especially the glasses with fingers on em)

the only negative thing i could find was the shots should have some random factor as in reallife they do have too. its just a bit unrealistic hitting the same spot from 20m away
ahh oh and jump is too high for my mind especially with that suit on.was there crouching? oh well gonna test it tommorrow again. really good job man!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/15/07 23:54

Ok, just a few things that Pedro didnt mentioned:

• the main purpose of this demo is to get feedback about possible new bugs
  • in order to not duplicate it, i will put a list of known bugs at the end of this post
  • so please just report new bugs or problems you may encounter
  • please understand this is not a finished project, due the short development time
  • the first goal was to Pedro finish his teasis and deliver it at time

Also:

• the game max players are 4 at the moment
  • optimized for LAN
  • but its possible to play over net, editing the .bat files and inserting the -ip
  • of course, over net might have problems relating latency, etc... but it works

Credits:

• thanks to Christian Behrenberg (aka HeelX) author of Font Render

Input:

• < WASD > Movement
  • < MOUSE > Camera, direction and shoot
  • < SPACE > Jump
  • < SHIFT > Crouch
  • < TAB > Statistics Table
  • < R > Reload weapon

Known bugs, please report new ones

• on menu <esc> the game still loads
  • the player´s movement use precise collision detection, it means that they can stuck each other or in the map models
  • when hidded strings above player´s head only are deactivated on clients
  • when reloading pods sometimes the ball´s counting are not correct
  • no collision on the gun yet
  • balls are visible only in the clients (local) yet
  • when a client logout sometimes the statistics table doesnt update correctly < tab >
  • 3rd person camera needs improvements like smooth transition and lag near obstacles
  • central tube hull / collision problem
  • when a player is eliminated and restarts his position, can stuck on other player that possibly be in one of the four restart vectors positions (at four field corners)

Thanks for your time.
Jorge

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 00:04

One big complaint:

Why restrict the resolution to 1280x1024?
Thats insane!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 00:16

There was no time to implement a screen settings system before Pedro finishes his teasis, and he wanted the best quality possible under the circunstancies, it will be fixed on next releases.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 11:07

Although i can't play it with my actual maximum resolution, I tried it, and I like it. The best thing in the game is, that you can use both fingers to fire, as it is in real life.
Good work.
Perhaps prssing ESC should not directly shut down the game, perhaps a prompt asking for it would be better. One wrong key and you are out.
Posted By: flits

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 11:48

i liked playing against myself maby i am going to play it white others
it looks great jumps are realy hihg and its stucking at many places

oke not named bugs yet:
-if you reload and walk the animas stuck to gether and you stay walking and the somtimes but thats maby my problem the sounds stucks
- maby not impoted but you shout half red half black paint bals and the splash green

to add/change
-sound off (i dont hate the music but wite 2 sounds i get crazy)
-mouse_sensitve
-capture flag(teamwork)
- everyone has othere collored paintbals and splahes

maby i will update my list but for that i need to play more to night
ow and the wind is realy cool but could it be change some times

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 12:17

The duck animation could be smoother.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 12:56

theres is a place where the floor splits into a second floor if you shoot between them shoot shoot trouhg the map its like 2 feet withd

ow and please add a fps digit

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 15:25

Hi,
Thanks for your sugestions we are registing all them.

@ Flits
"theres is a place where the floor splits into a second floor if you shoot between them shoot shoot trouhg the map its like 2 feet withd"

Could you post a print screen of this problem ?

The question is: the terrain shader is not using yet shadows / softshadows, there is a plane under the terrain to obtain the z-buffer shadows, because stencil shadows will kill the framerate, probably that gap could be visible somewhere.
The lightning and shadow system still become a problem under 3dgs.

So, we need more testers and hard testing, that´s now the time to find those bugs, or later they will eat us

Thanks
Jorge

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 15:34

@demiGod
I thik Flits mean this:

I have found another bug:
if you shoot on the shadow the sprite is under the shadow!!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 15:50

@fear411 & demigod yub thats what i meaned and that shadow part did i see to
but itd only white some camera angles

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 15:56

Yes flits and Fear411, it has to do with the shadow system i mentioned above it will be changed.

I hope some people have the possibility to test the game with 4 pcs at least on LAN, because we only tested it with 3 pcs and over net.

Dont know how it is the performance with more players and that feedback would be very important.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 16:31

i have some bad news for you(it wasnt lan but yust 4 timeson my comp

i started a server no problems
stared 2 clients no problem
started another client and the game whas going mad ad me
the 4 client flipped it out it realy whent crazzy
so lookin to the others server no problems
2 clients no problem
3 client still flipping
i shooted on it and i could stay hitting hit after 70 kills i went back to the 3 client
and it was trying to respwan it didt count down until 0 then it did go back to 3
and could walk

i will now test what happens if i oppen 7 clients

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 17:16

ow i tried 4 clients 1 server but the 4client plays alone so is it com a7
but the 3 client always lagg maby is it random the getting crazy stuff

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 17:24

Like i said the test was meant to be in 4 pcs not in one pc, i know what happens in there, the sending data must be optimized yet, and it depends on the specs of the pc, in Pedro´s computer it runs smoothly the server and the 3 clients

And you cant open 7 clients because max players is 4 for now like i said above, the goal of this project was to have a playble version as soon as possible for him to finish his thesis, now there is many aspects to improve.
Thanks anyways

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/16/07 19:39

Finally, I can play it
The game itself is great, all aspects make a perfect match, congratz !!
Level design, modeling but let us not forget the programming element since this is quite essential like we all know, all have a professional touch which is a nice extra off course.
So far, I didn't found anymore bugs, except for the ones that were already mentioned ^^

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/18/07 04:10

thank you all for your comments.
i still dont know when the presentation of the game will be held at college.
even so, there are some things i wish to add to the game with help from demigod.
so.. right now. the things that are in need to add to the game are:
-a menu, for when you click ESC, asking what you want to do.
-settings menu with a couple of sliders to define the volume of the background music and sound effects
-settings menus, with the ability to change resolutions.
-credits panel for when you exit the game.

if you feel that there are things that could be added to the game, feel free to post it, and we will try to see if it's doable.

And once again, thank you all for your comments, you are a great community.

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/18/07 04:23

Congrats Pedro and Team, fantastic effort, very epic thread and its done

Awesome, even though I cant play with my res mode I can imagine I would enjoy every aspect too.

(Still downloading so will give it a go anyway..)

Its a good future Pedro and this is a fine addition to the portfolio but dont forget about Indy work too...:)

[*Edit] Well it played ok, a bit laggy understandably but it played which is awesome really.
Couldnt hook up so had a toy around (my line not your mp script) and liked the skyline and the setup.

This I think could be a real good winner if you follow it thru for a games release, I can easily imagine people of all wallks giong online for a blast fest, especially once the movement and objects have been refined.

A great job!

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/18/07 23:53

hey man, thanks!
Really apreciate it! yeah! it has been one hell of a ride. heeh.
yeah. this game has some good potentital to go further.

i wish i could enter the game industry, but there's so little companies here in portugal

Re: Xtreme Paintball - College Thesis Game - 11/19/07 04:43

Well you could always do what we are doing, entering thru GStudio via the boards and the version one owns.

This is what Indy development is, doing your own game as your own publishing house because all you need if you have difficulties looking in or out side of Portugal, is a website and a little bit of marketing knowledge.

Anyway, appreciate your thread and skills, respect!
© 2024 lite-C Forums