Fujita5 - storm chasing game

Posted By: Marky Mark

Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/07/07 22:41

Hi,

Check out a little gameplay video of my current project "Fujita5" , a storm chasing game. So now you can drive around and take pictures of the storm...

The video, on YouTube

Thanks to give comments!
Posted By: cartoon_baboon

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/07/07 23:34

Still don't think the clouds look perfect (perhaps you might be interested in this site - it all about the clouds in Microsoft Flight Simulator. I'd definitely check out the video ) but the feeling of being out during a heavy storm is definitely there and I think that feeling is really important - so well done on that.

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 00:02

Yeah I know this FS way to do realistic clouds, but I tried many ways and every time I got the same problem: a very low FPS. For the feeling, thats what i really want to work on, so maybe the player will forget how the cloud looks... :-)

Thanks for your comments!
Posted By: ambe

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 03:55

hmm.. looks good .. but you should realy work on the landscape, people want eyecandy you know..

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 05:25

I got no idea for the realism of the landscape.. any idea for me?
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 07:58

Most people here complain about graphics but I really like this very very unique gameplay idea. Keep it up. It really reminds me on Twister (a great film) and you should really waste a lot of performance on weather, no doubt.

The sound is very immersive now, maybe you should add as well lightflashes when a thunder hits the bottom, as well as a graphical representation of it. You should invest a heavy amount of time in rain and air convolution as well as all indicator signs that appear when a tornado is in the creation process.

I don't know if this is a sandbox game, but if you add a story or such (always good!) you should maybe show how people are fleeing or so. Watch the film Twister, it has pretty much material for such a game. I like it, keep it up!
Posted By: ello

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 09:37

well i like it, too, i think the clouds aint that bad at all. plus they fit extremly nice with the overall atmosphere. i dont think, anyone expecting weather systems like seen in alan wake http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/734178/an/0/page/0#Post734178

i like the movement of the car , too, and the idea is unique i guess. never heard about such a game before..

only thing, maybe add a human to drive the car and even walk around. that 'd be interesting if your car is flying away, or some things fly around, anyway.

maybe add some lightnings , too

definately interesting project

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 16:00

Thanks for those comments.

First, I got an idea, adding some traffic to the game, then make it freak out when the storm is coming, anyway.

For the car, the movement is good, but I really think I will work on a good car model, with a human inside.

For the flashes and lightning strikes, I see that the youtube video quality is too bad to show them, because it's already in the game! Let's show you a good-quality (well its not a perfect quality but i dont want to upload a big file) video:

Video here, WMV, 11M

At the start, you can see the weather conditions taken by tephigrams (real storm chasers are using this) then you can start playing. In this video, the conditions are very good, so the storm is dark and strong. There is no tornado system in the game yet, but check it out, the lightnings are pretty impressive

Check out a big one at 0:24 in the video
Posted By: Endgegner

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 16:19

Damn you Marky Mark, I wanted to make a game like that, too . Anyway, I like it. The car movement is nice, a little bit too extreme maybe.
But the town and landscape maybe still need some work...

Keep it up, nice work.
Posted By: sueds

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 18:37

It's a very good idea

but why don't you add a script foryour storm like Allan wake ?

It looks impressive but I don't think it's difficult ...

See If you make all the part of your level with model created in few part ( not much just roof door and the bulding in for or five part)

add a storm script like if a model come near than ... quants make the storm movement... Add some particule and sprite to make the dust and it's done.

I a long process to coordonate everything but I think It could be neccessary and important for your game cause storm look far away.

If you don't want to make the building fall in part cause the FPS slow down the idea could be adapt if you remove piece of the landscape and add some particule to hide the object.

anyway your project looks great And I wonder if anyone could help you with your project.

I'm not a programmer but If you want a car I could model it ... I'm working on lightwave and It's not very difficult to create one.

cheers

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 19:49

Hi sueds, Thanks for the suggestions, btw the tornado in the video is awesome! That's what I really wanna do... But yeah I thing i should hide the building that will be destructed under a dust and make some little models fly around, then fall, then when the tornado moves, the building is different, kind of destroyed... Anyway.

I will need a lot of help to work on a realistic Tornado. I will start a topic on that soon.

For a car model, it would be so nice to get a new one from you.. Here's some good looking storm chasing cars:

http://www.philhenry.com/storm.htm

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 20:15

hi

Are you french ?

For the car It could be usefull to give me some blueprint cause the pics don't give me the size and the volume of the car.

ps : I'm not good at skinning so if I won't be able to put to skin it right.

cheers
Posted By: Carloos

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 21:30

I really enjoyed your youtube video

Maybe my InGame Editor with Object Spawner could be a easy way of populate your levels with some more objects.
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 23:02

I long time ago, there was an user that posted a tutorial showing how to make a tornado effect with 3dgs. I think Realspawn was the user. Perhaps someone still have the file. It was a nice effect.

You can find the link here: http://s91902847.onlinehome.us/6901/13811.html , but is not working.

The guys' site: http://www.realspawn-productions.com/a6.html

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 23:26

@Carloos: Where can I find this Ingame editor?

@Sorcerer: Realspawn, what a legend anyway... i can't find any link..

@sueds: Yes I am french. That kind of car would be great. Just add antennas and some basic stuff that you can see on the top of the car in the first link... Thanks again

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/08/07 23:39

Oki oki that's great !!

Je vais bosser sur le modele que tu m'as fourni je t'en dirais plus la semaine prochaine

cheers

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 00:18

Parfait //

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 03:12

Quote:

@Carloos: Where can I find this Ingame editor?

I´m still polishing last bits of it. I still need to document a howto, to make it easy to use.This post of a project i´m working has some screenshots and explanations about the tool.

I could also work on a car model, or you can use some of the sportscar collection.

I also thought that would be cool chase the storm using one of that equiped vans, like in the movie cited above.

I have a driver that could be adapted to your car if you interest.

Congrats to you / your project it looks very promising and original.

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 03:17

What you mean by "a driver" ? BTW I seen this movie something like 10 times

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 03:21

Maybe I lost something, but I mean a driver, a human driving the car.

What movie did you saw 10 times ? I´m losted.

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 04:01

LOL ok a driver:P

Well, could you skin a model? Cause our friend Sueds just started to work on a car.. or maybe you could give a try too, and we could have 2 cars? anyway.

The movie, Twister, I forgot to say that I saw it
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 04:06

I love that movie... well, not love. But I do enjoy it...

Very good movie. I thought that was where you got your inspiration from

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 05:34

Well, When I was a kid yeah, but I'm currently a real life storm chaser so... you know

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 06:31

Really?... wow. Kool man. Where are you mainly located?

What do you plan on doing with your project? Is this designed as a game, simulation, for "fellow storm chasers", etc...

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 06:33

Oh, and BTW... I've been working with Newton Physics and Slyex3 for a few weeks now. I'm mixing 'em together, then going to dump 'em in the UC's. If your interested, maybe I can give you a little help throwing in some extra effects (physics, as I see you are using newtons car currently, lol), and PP shaders [for things like motion blur, bloom, HDR, DOF, etc)...

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 06:36

Well, I started the idea when i saw how we, storm chasers, are bored when it's winter So I want it to be a game/simulator . In our community, we are sharing our pictures of our storm chases and we meet everyone 4 times a year. It also happens that we meet some chasers on our road to a storm... Anyway, When winter comes, it would be great to play around with that, and my game is working with a photo system, so people could post their pictures and why not, we could do a contest...

To resumate, it would be a simulation game that reminds us how summer is great when winter comes

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 06:38

haha, cool man.

Is the photo system [through your game, correct?] already set up?...

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 07:07

yeah and it saves the pictures on a "Photos" directory so the player can check them out and show them to the community

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 07:11

Check out some pictures I took last summer.. You can see a guy on the bottom of a pic, it's a cop who was asking us what the hell we were doing

Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 07:21

ask around here for that realspawn's tornado tutorial file. Maybe someone still have it.

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 07:22

Quote:

Oh, and BTW... I've been working with Newton Physics and Slyex3 for a few weeks now. I'm mixing 'em together, then going to dump 'em in the UC's. If your interested, maybe I can give you a little help throwing in some extra effects (physics, as I see you are using newtons car currently, lol), and PP shaders [for things like motion blur, bloom, HDR, DOF, etc)...

Didnt see that post!

Well, it would be great ! my car engine is not doing any sound... Maybe that would help for the realism:P

For the physics, maybe it could be great for the tornado, if we want to throw somee objects around...

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 07:28

sure, it's up to you, I'm not trying to pressure you into using it, lol.

As for cars sound. You can just get a sound of the motor, play it using ent_playsnd(), and tune the frequency of the sound to match the cars RPM. Pretty easy, once you find your cars RPM, lol.

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/09/07 07:30

Lol. yeah... once I find it

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/11/07 20:19

F4 Tornado

Posted By: harleyb12

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/11/07 21:04

wow what a lovly day for a tornado the sky should be dark and there should be rain and dark clouda like in the utube movie good looking though. grass could do with some work. mabey scale it down a bit?

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/12/07 03:04

I will add a realistic grass with shaders soon

For the sky, well I know, i'm testing the new tornado system I added in my game, so I just wanted to show you how big it can be
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/12/07 06:14

make the tornado more thinner and give it more colors. I hope it'll affect trees and other objects (ripple 'em and make them fly)

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/12/07 19:09

There will be the 5 forces of the Fujita scale on the game. This one was a F5. That's why it's big.

Yeah I'm working on the flying objects

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/12/07 19:53

Here's an in-game video... As you can see it needs some work...

EDIT: Dont look to the clouds, I kept a clear blue sky, its just to show you how the tornado looks

http://files-upload.com/127316/tornado.wmv.html
Posted By: bstudio

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/13/07 08:26

The tossing of the objects indeed needs some work. But the concept and idea of the game is original and looks like fun
Posted By: Serlink

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/17/07 15:02

I should have done something like this last year. I was picked up by a tornado while driving my van down a country road. It picked my van and I up and dumped us into some trees 50 feet from the road. Cut me up and broke my shoulder.
Let me know when your done. I like to play it, not live it.
Serlink

Re: Fujita5 - storm chasing game - 03/18/07 20:17

Thanks
© 2024 lite-C Forums