Droid Soccer [WIP]

Posted By: demiGod

Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 01:48

Hi to all 3dgs community,

First off all sorry for my poor English

I would like to present a personal project [WIP] that I am working on for some time ago, in my free time exploring specially the Artificial Intelligence, autonomous agents, team strategy and so on.

What I would like to do?

“When playing Droid Soccer in a mystic environment of the Greek mythology transposed to a distant future, you control the more powerful gods/robots in vigorous soccer games and tournaments that takes place in the Olimpus Mount Arena of the future, exploring myths, legends, puzzles and sequences in a unique and amusing game play.”

What I will probably do?

“A fast pacing soccer type game simulation played by droids where the speed and the player reaction skills are the central point, with good visual and sound effects.”

When? In a distant future. Where? In a futuristic top tower representing the Olimpus Mount Arena. Who? The ancient gods are represented by droids with different skills and powers, that play robust soccer with an iron/metal sphere and there are at least three tournaments:

• Mortals Tournament (where the player must begin)
• Gods Tournament
• Chaos Tournament

Game play:
The game pretends to be a soccer simulation but with other elements, because there is a possible story to tell, the greek mythology, so it will be introduced objects / items related to the story representing myths, legends, puzzles and sequences, which upon collected, will cause different plays. If those plays have success (the goal) then the player collects that item. In order to be able to play the higher tournaments the player needs to explore and collect those items and sequences.

There will be rewards like goals, score, power-ups in the field, maybe money that let you buy robot pieces or other robots, or…
Well, stop dreaming, just a very WIP screenshots, because I am a programmer and not a 2d or 3d artist, and because I spend most of the time trying to develop the AI.

Just some things already started or done :

Team strategy:
Team state machine(before kick off, defend and attack so far)
game situations
tactics
formations
player roles

Players behaviour:
Player state machine (wait, chase, dribble, pass, kick, goHomeRegion and left and right defense for the goalkeepers. More on the future)
Perception system, because the agents are autonomous they percept the environment using two scan cones, one bigger that scan every frame when its is the selected entity, and another one smaller just for the not selected entities, that scan with a timer.
Strategic positioning
Ball recovery
Ball possession
Player movement and blend animation
Steering behaviours (seek, arrive)

Communication:
A simple messaging system (needs improvements), maybe changing for a blackboard system in the future

Game Editor:
Edit tactics and formations

To do:

So many things that I will not even mention it right now (specially in 2D and 3D art), I will probably make another post here or in the Jobs Offered exposing those questions and maybe someone will be interested in this project and pretends to make part of it, sorry but no money, just credits.

I intend to release a trailer soon to show the game play implemented so far.
Well, feedback, considerations, critics, ideas are welcome, besides this single project will probably depends on it..
If you are interested in some way in the project you may contact me:
fjcarrega(at)gmail.com
Thanks for your time.
Cheers
Jorge.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 03:46

looks interesting! darwinia style level looks solid. not a lot i can say im looking forward to the trailer

julz
Posted By: MrCode

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 05:50

Mabye it's on purpose (for the style), but the lightmapping is VERY obvious.
Posted By: bstudio

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 08:59

This is looking verry interesting. And I like the style, it fits your concept. But the levels so far are empty off course but you said indeed that you will fix that
Posted By: Gordon_Shumway

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 10:28

Hi !!!

Good work so far !!!
It's nice to see some picture of what we were talking about.
Can you make a demo or a trailer? I want to see the AI in action.

Bye G.S.

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 12:56

Hello,
Thanks for your comments,

Its true that isnt much thing to show at the moment, but like i said those are earlier screenshots and my main concern had been the gameplay, animations and specially the AI.

I think you all have in mind that a game simulation like this one its not a trivial task, thats because we dont see PES or fifa´s games prototypes around here or in other engines / game development sites or forums.

@ Gordon_Shumway
Hi Gernot, thank you for your comments about my project.
The AI its in early stage but i will try to show in the next days a video showing the system in action, the one we have discussed allright.

Well, just about four replies so far, it seems this is not starting very well..
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 13:17

Very cool Idea.
You seem to made a nice AI for the bots.
I could give suggestions for the AI though only
when I see it in action.
But Iam shure it is already fun to see them play.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 16:50

Yeah, I like it as well! cool models, seems like you got the code working pretty well.
"What I would like to do?"
I don't understand entirely what you're going for, but mostly, and it sure sound's like it's worth it and I'd really like you to reach that goal!

Good job
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 18:02

This looks like a goal already
Keep up the great work there

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Carloos

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 18:51

Fantastic, nice screens !

Hope we can have a test demo soon, i'm already crazy to play it !

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 21:46

Just a few more screens showing the goalkeeper defense system (testing):

Thank you for all kind words, it gives some extra motivation because i will need it for sure.

Like i said i will try to release a video in the next days where it will be possible to see the game play at the moment.

Thanks again for all your comments.
Cheers.
Jorge
Posted By: Hellcrypt

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 22:18

It looks great however the forward players need to move forward when the player tries to score a goal. There should have been someone on the other side for a good cross. But I am thinking to much of FIFA here heh. Keep up the good work, the AI will need a lot of work but it's looking good.

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 23:01

You´re right Hellcrypt, there´s a lot work to do, thought the problem you mentioned its easy to solve right now. You see, the AI its in a early stage but the team strategy is changing considering several game situations, and one of them its the team ball possession.

As you can see in the last pictures because the ball its now in the blue team possession, the blue team changed its state to attack and the grey one to defend, so the players received a message to go to forward positions.

Of course this need to be changed and there is a hard work to do, specially coding the players behavior at three levels: strategic positioning (when the players do not have an active role), ball recovery (trying to obtain the ball possession, intercept...) and ball possession (what they will do if they get the ball under control).
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/29/07 23:17

FYI the word "Droid" is the copyright of Mr.George Lucas, so if you were going to use it in a game you could easily be in trouble. Id call it BOT soccer or some other name.

Quote:

George Lucas holds a trademark on the term "droid". The miniature mecha combat wargame BattleTech was originally released under the name BattleDroids, but was renamed due to trademark issues with Lucasfilm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droid

**The only reason I know this is because I was thinking of using the name in one of my projects.

The game looks really cool though, good luck with it.
Posted By: Pedro_Amorim

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/30/07 00:57

OH, its looking awesome Jorge. Pretty awesome in fact.
I guess you're gonna be the one that is gonna help me when i enconter some problems:D hehehe

Your game is looking pretty sweet.
Im gonna wait for the trailer to come out and do my comments. in the meanwhile if you need help in the art department we could probably scratch each others back:D
if you know what i mean

Abraços
Pedro

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/30/07 09:41

@ NITRO777
Hey, thanks for the information. Althouth the name Droid Soccer wasnt final i like it and probably i would mantain it. Well, it seems i will start be thinking in an alternative name for the future, but for now i will not change it.
Damn, why people make themselves "owners" of words?

@ Pedro
Thanks for your comments about the project.
And yes, i will need help in the art thing like you will need in other areas. I will contact you soon.
Thanks Pedro.
Posted By: ello

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/30/07 10:23

hey, looks quite cool. i am curious about how it looks when running

Quote:

Quote:

George Lucas holds a trademark on the term "droid". The miniature mecha combat wargame BattleTech was originally released under the name BattleDroids, but was renamed due to trademark issues with Lucasfilm.

wtf, first i thought you are joking. but you aint...
i guess i have to create a game called "lucas the droid - episode one : causing trouble"
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/30/07 10:53

You can call them "Android" or "An-Droids",
since this is the original term, wich he can not copyright.
Posted By: ello

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/30/07 11:06

Quote:

You can call them "Android" or "An-Droids",
since this is the original term, wich he can not copyright.

wat about "n'droid" ?

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/30/07 11:16

@ Damocles
I think the short term "Droid" sounds better than "Android Soccer", but its a possibility..

@ Ello
N´droid sounds good
I wonder if someone owns the "N" letter?

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 04/30/07 11:54

telecom here in germany tried copyrighting their color (a weird pink, that you hardly ever see. and when you do, you know it's the german phone company, telecom... www.telecom.de )
People are weird...

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/01/07 02:39

lolo

or you could makea tribute to radiohead, and call it, paranoid android soccer

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/06/07 15:46

Hey, just like i said there is a simple vid where you can see the game play so far.

*** EVIDENT PROBLEMS
- blend animation between dribble and kick / pass cycles
- synch between goalkeerper´s defense and collision with ball

*** IMPLEMENTED
- passing algorythm (no trace yet)
- formations
- game situations
- tactics (very simple yet)
- players roles
- basic strategic positioning

*** NOT IMPLEMENTED
- no collision avoidance
- no ball physics effects
- no strategic plays / plans
- no play modes / game rules (offside, freekick, corner kicks, cross...)
- no real-time mesh deforming on the goals net
- no...
- no...

Please dont look at this with fifa or pes in mind / goal, actually it doesnt pretend to be a game like that, but a diferent game and with a diferent style.

So, comments, critics, ideas and all the possible feedback are welcome.
Dont hesitate and give your opinion.
And now the link:
ndroid_soccer01.avi (~23MB)
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/06/07 17:05

Quote:

or you could makea tribute to radiohead, and call it, paranoid android soccer

well at least the karma police wouldn't come after you for copyright infringement

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/07/07 15:01

No comments?

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 09:38

big video anything littler on youtube?

i like this project

julz

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 09:59

Alelluia ! A comment, thanks JulzMighty

About the video, well this video is compressed with xvid codec, its has almost 3GB uncompressed and 23MB i believe isnt too big compared to much projects presented around here (actually most video projects presented here are bigger).

I think if people are not seeing the video isnt because of the file size, maybe they dont like soccer/sports type games or really dont like this project.
There are much more horizons than RTS and FPS games...

But i will post soon a link to youtube with less quality of course.
Thanks
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 10:25

i think people dont watch the video causwe its hard to find in your post.

I watched it too (though i don't like football/sports games) but big respect. I think it is really hard to program a football game and some AI for it.

Everything seems to run smoothly and bug-free, as far as i can see.

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 10:41

Hi Kihaku maybe you´re right, i will make another post with the link more visible and a link for youtube too.

Although you dont like football/sports games thanks for your realistic comments.
Also, i think this community has its mind turned to FPS and RTS games (big respect to these game genres too), and maybe because of that, there are not much people commenting and giving critics / sugestions in other areas..

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 10:47

Quote:

Also, i think this community has its mind turned to FPS and RTS games (big respect to these game genres too), and maybe because of that, there are not much people commenting and giving critics / sugestions in other areas..

True for some people (unfortunately).
I just hope you don't take it as reason to not go on with your project someday. We need new fresh games and genres (new for the 3dgs community)

anyway, big respect from my side

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 11:42

i have huge interest in this project, as well as kihaku's angela, coz of their uniqueness. i'm getting tired of WIP weapons and FPS's

i'm looking forward to the youtube video

julz
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 13:57

Looking good and interesting concept.

Quote:

Mabye it's on purpose (for the style), but the lightmapping is VERY obvious.

A bit too obvious imho.

Cheers
Posted By: Gordon_Shumway

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 16:16

Hi DemiGod !!!

Good job, it looks very good so far and it is of high potential.

Please post some progress (another small movie will be very good).

Bye G.S.

P.S.: It reminds of something ...you know what I'm talking about. But your version looks much better.
Posted By: vlau

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 16:57

Great work! demiGod.

I think it will be a lot of workload to make such kind
of game.

Suggestion? yes, 1) How about add some audiences, 2) A referee
is a must if you plan to have free kicks, corner kicks...etc.
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 17:33

What the hell is soccer?! I see a football game on the screenshots, nothing else.

downloading the video right now (kind of slow connection for me)...cant wait to see it!
There should be way more sport project made with gs.

cheers

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 17:43

>Soccer<

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 17:53

Soccer = football. the problem is that there's another game named "football", so there's the word "soccer"... I think Americans call it soccer, but commonwealthers call it football, cause there's american football, which is different.

Demigod, I'm sorry. i hadn't watched the movie yet because I was too stupid to download it something went wrong (my fault, not urs, you did it all right) and then I was too slack to figure it all out. ...
I did download it now though, and it's awesome. Great scripting work. I have no idea how I would have done that. very good job.
It's not quite as good as FIFA yet, but it's getting there ...
positive:
-very nice smooth animations
-you seem to have most of the AI pretty much done. even the goal keeper seems to be smart.
-nice overall look. I like the models a lot. they remind me of the little drawing dummy things:

negative (or better: "improvable"):
-there should be more animations. different "attacks" to get the ball etc.
-the defense could be smarter. right now it looks (i may be wrong) like they just go for the ball. get them to go between the ball and the goal.
-add headers etc, and it'll be WAY COOL.

again: great job programming this. I think as far as AI and movement goes, this is an amazing piece of art already. Never give up on this one, please!
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 17:54

lol @ blattsalat Football ~ Rugby

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 18:30

@ Blattsalat
This confusion is very common. I call it soccer exactly to avoid confusion with american football (rugby).

@ Germanunkol
Thanks for your comments and motivation.
About the models, they were made by our well known Vincent "alienheretic" (the modeling and texturing - not animations), a great artist that i really recommend if you want a fast and professional work. He is fantastic on his job.

Its true, there are so many things to implement and update, actually i am trying to make a playable version with less features but stable, and then start developing the system more.

But this is not a trivial task and i am not a 2D or 3D artist, so i will need help on those areas cause i will need to focus only in the programming task.
I think will ask for help in the forums soon.

I will try to put a link to youtube as soon as possible.

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 19:58

Ok, there is two links for the video:

1 - ndroid_soccer01.avi (~23MB)

Better quality and smooth

2 - youtube video

Worst quality and movements are not very smooth

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 22:09

australia's in the commonwealth but most people call it soccer here too, coz we have AFL (australian football league) which is a completely different sport, but it's still confusing coz if you don't live in victoria, most people follow the rugby way more than the AFL and call rugby "football" (or "footy"). rugby also splits into league and union, with a few little variations within those as well. american football is weird i dont like it as much as other forms of footy.

on-topic: great video!! i love it! i'm really impressed obviously the goalie needs some more animations, and i also think the players should have stationary animations (for turning around with the ball without running, for example) if they don't have any already (everyone was always running in the video ).

keep up the good work! i want to see more of this

julz

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/08/07 22:47

Thanks for your kind words julz.

Like i said, my first goal now is to implement a playable version with less features but solid. Then i will add more features like:

For the players:

- throw in
- heading / jump
- faults / injuries / sliding tackle
- dribbling with ball

For the goalkeepers:

- frontal defense (its only implemented lateral defenses yet)
- intercepting
- put ball back in play (with hand or feet)
- a more reliable collision detection for defenses

The AI its in early stages though there are some features disabled in the video cause they are buggy or instable yet. Also, at the moment the AI its a little deterministic yet, i mean each player its autonomous but they have a higher team layer command that tells which tactics should follow, but for each game situation and tactic, there is a number of possible actions to take.
This is called roles and the number of possible actions must be higher for each situation and chosen with some kind of randomness or better using fuzzy logic..

The problem is, to script such kind of system its very difficult to make the level design, 2d and 3d art and so at same time. Well, thats why there are teams isnt it?

I will be posting news..
Posted By: Hellcrypt

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/09/07 01:07

Oh wow nice job man, I have been keeping a good eye on this game since you started. Also glad you mentioned my buddy Vince, cool guy and works hard. A feature you might think of implementing is a mini-map so you can see where you are passing.

I play soccer quite often, and one thing I notice is when someone has the ball and you are side by side you can out run them because they have to keep the ball in control (Unless you are extremely fast like C. Ronaldo or Lewis Figo heh).

When you get a lot of the minor thing fixed you can focus on the dribbeling skills.

Anyway I love what you are doing, I am truly sick of seeing guns and small fps games being created left and right.

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/09/07 09:04

Thanks Hellcrypt,

yes a mini-map is planned allright.
About the players speed you mentioned i try to make it the most realistic possible: each player has allready individual skills like speed, stamina, kick force, etc., so each player is different and is possible that some players are faster than others.

Also, in real life when a soccer player has the ball in possession and dribbles usually he´s slower in progression than others, cause he needs to control the ball in movement.

I think the dribbling skills will be a pain cause it will evolve very detailed animations cycles and i dont have a motion capture studio (unfortanly) and buying motion capture files (.bvh, .bip ...) its like buying GOLD.
If someone has some motion capture files related to soccer drills / movements and wants to contribute i will apreciate it much..
Posted By: dblade

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/09/07 12:09

Interesstin Design

I like the Players

Looks great

Hope you're able to finish this

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/09/07 13:19

Wow, this is looking pretty awesome demiGod!
A lot of work invested into this
I'm anxiously awaiting for some new videos to see some more new features:D
Will there be other views of the field?
Anywho, it looks great, if you need help just ring me a bell.

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/09/07 18:32

Indeed, this is a nice piece a soccer
The ball physics are really nice too !!
Btw, do you plan to integrate an offside option ??

Edit: the avi file isn't working.

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/09/07 18:51

Thanks again for your comments.

@ frazzle

Yes, i plan to implement all the soccer rules but some of them not right now. I need to release a playable version stable and then upgrade it in phases.

About the avi file not working, i tested it just now and it works !

I would like to say too that the provisory name of the project was changed, because of possible copyright issues about the "droid" word.

I choosed "n´droid soccer" which was a Ello´s sugestion, i hope he doesnt mind.
Posted By: JoaoR

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/11/07 16:22

You are doing an amazing work Demigod!
I dont even imagine all the hard work behind this project.

keep going.

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/19/07 15:46

Hi, just some progress to show.

** NEW MOVEMENT AND GRAVITY SYSTEM

The movement and gravity code now permits effective steering behaviors integration. The system now calculates the desired velocity needed in order to the AI controlled bots reach their targets;

** SIMPLE COLLISION AVOIDANCE

You can see this video: Simple Collision Avoidance

** STRATEGIC POSITIONING

A region based strategic positioning dependant on ball´s position
You can see this video: Strategic Positioning

** NEW PASSING ALGORITHM

Now its implemented a passing algorithm based in a weighting system that calculates two things:

1 - the best passing entity

2 - the best entity passing target position

Example:

T: all visible teamates position
O: all visible opponents position
B: the entity who has the ball
G: opponent´s goal location

W1 = vec_dist(T,G) // min distance is better
W2 = vec_dist(T,B) // min distance is better
W3 = vec_dist(T,closest(O)) // max distance is better

There are 8 possible target positions for the pass and the red dummy indicates the best passing target for the entity which is in better conditions to receive a pass.

You can see this video: Passing Algo

EDIT:

** GAME PLAY

You can see this video: n´droid soccer gameplay

Well, as always comments, critics and sugestions to help improve the system are welcome.
Cheers
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/19/07 16:01

AMAZING You are not only a demiGod but a entireGod

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/19/07 16:17

Indeed, this is looking really great already !!
I can't comment on anything because it all looks "prefect" so far

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: MrCode

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/19/07 17:55

I do have one thing to comment on:

in one of the shots, just before it goes to the next one, one of the players just kicks the ball right off the field! (He's at the end of the field, but not aiming at the goal)

Otherwise, totally awesome!!

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/19/07 18:13

Thanks for all kind words i really appreciate it.

@ MrCode

About the comment you made, i believe you are refering to the cross ball situation. When a player has ball possession and its position is in one of two regions near the corner kick position, the player can pass or in the other hand, he can make a cross ball to a position in the penalty box.

Actually, the cross ball situation its only breafly implemented so you´re right its not looking like it should.. yet.

Re: Droid Soccer [WIP] - 05/23/07 14:41

Hey, demiGod did you have a chance to look at my mail?
© 2024 lite-C Forums