low-poly power generator model

Posted By: Machinery_Frank

low-poly power generator model - 05/15/07 21:20

Hi,

I created a low-poly power generator (about 800 triangles). Here is a screenshot from my modelling software:

Most time went into texture-painting. I created height-, spec- and normal-maps and made a few render images with them (it looks similar in-game with normal-mapping but textures would not be that high-res):

Best regards,
Frank
Posted By: Grafton

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/15/07 21:50

FanTastic! I wish I had your talents Frank!
Posted By: Carloos

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/15/07 22:20

Very well done. Congratulations.
Posted By: Jay_Watergate

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/15/07 22:58

quick question - how do you go about painting your skins? Just a photoshop-like program, or do you have special hardware/software? Awsome model, and the normalmaps make it really stand out.

Regards
Posted By: Hellcrypt

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 00:55

If I remember correctly, he uses Gimp.
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 04:12

Third screen looks incredibly realistic. As for the whole model, i think generator's right part is too low-poly. Anyway, great work as always
Posted By: sueds

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 05:10

I saw you were using lightwave, but did you use also the normal map pluging ? or is it lightwave bump mapping ?

anyways great job !

cheers

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 07:34

Josiah:
Thank you! But it is no talent, just work and reading tutorials often.
It took me 3 evenings: 2 for texture-painting and 1 for the model + rendering

Carloos:
Thank you!

JayWatergate:
Hellcrypt is right (my regards to Hellcrypt ) - I use "TheGIMP". It is a fantastic tool and even delivers some nice features that Photoshop does not have. But it has weak points as well (e.g. scaling brushes).
Actually it is only painting and blending layers over each other. My original textures have 2048 pixel-size each and contain more than 10 layers per image to get the right effect.

Shadow969:
You are right. I have the same feeling about it. I try to add some edges to make it less blocky there.

Sueds:
Yes, I use and love Lightwave. I used the gray images for bump mapping. Normal maps are created in GIMP this time and for in-game rendering I would prefer them. Often they look even better than the bump-mapping from Lightwave. Maybe I make a shader screen-shot in Gamestudio as well.

Best regards,
Frank
Posted By: broozar

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 07:44

nice, but imo, all the generator consists of weathered steel, but the right part looks like it's been polished recently...? i'd love it to be as weathered and rotten as the rest, maybe some oil trails right off the top and a matching color. nevertheless, well done.

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 07:56

Good idea, broozar. I will try that out.
Posted By: capanno

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 07:58

Yeah I had the same thoughts. Also, the stuff on the control panel looks awkward. Id put some weathered dials, make a crack or two in the glass box on the main cylinder. Id also spend some extra polygons and extrude the shaft once or twice to add more detail.

Ill make the whole main control thing smaller. The base texture is good, so I would not stretch it so big.

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 08:11

Thanks Capanno. Do you mean the right part when you mention the "main control thing"? It might be a good idea to make it a bit smaller. I will check that out.

What do you mean with "shaft"?
Posted By: Blitzblaster1

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 15:33

The screens looks very nice. Good job.
Posted By: sueds

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 16:48

I'm a lightwave user and I can model with another tool but My question was if you were using lightwave normal map plugin he seems pretty handy and I wanted to know if It could be compatible with 3dgs. I didn't had the time to try it but maybe you should.

you could find it on www.flay.com plugin section

and there are so many, like unfold and stuff could be usefull

cheers
Posted By: frazzle

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 17:41

As always, amazing work !!
The realistic factor in it looks nice but I think the same why as broozar, it looks to polished/normalmapped. Adding more 'dirty stuff' would make it look more appropriate for me

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/16/07 23:52

Very cool, the normal mapping looks extremely fine on this one, AAA material.

Cheers

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/18/07 09:54

Thanks for your very helpful hints. I used all your comments to improve the model. The right-hand part got a few more polies and a more dirty texture and has been scaled smaller:

I got a few requests to create more similar objects to fill complete levels with stuff like terminals, cables, pipes, machines, handcarts, panels, desks, lockers and whatever you need to create sci-fi and industrial levels.

I am highly interested in making such a packet with all additional maps attached to have the option to use shaders in your games.

At the end I want to give you the possibility to create decent-looking levels like the big companies do.

Animated characters will follow as well.

If someone is willing to help (e.g. creating audio packs) then I would appreciate it very much. Please contact me!
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/18/07 11:57

Great improvement. very good job. No critique from me...

Posted By: frazzle

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/18/07 18:18

Quote:

Great improvement. very good job. No critique from me...

Indeed, great job updating this Frank

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/20/07 12:12

Thank you Germanunkol and Frazzle.
Posted By: capanno

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/21/07 15:05

Hi frank. sorry for the delayed reply.

Sorry yeah, the main control things refers to the right.

here are some thoughts...

The shaft, like I said in my post, is in the block on the left. It just seems like its allot of texture detail for the one spot. The main control panel still looks a little awkward to me. The 2 objects I streaked out does not look real, or maybe I just don't realize what they are. I would replace them with a smaller dial, like maybe a tank meter, and an ignition with a key. Should only take a few polygons. I assume the objects on the right that I circled are exhaust outlets... if you are not going to "use" them, why not make it look as if they were forced shut. like welding seams, rust, etc. I also assume the circle on the side is some sort of air intake. Id add some fine details there, like bent or scratched "ribs".

The update looks allot better. Good job.

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/21/07 15:10

Thank you for this very detailed reply.
Posted By: not_me

Re: low-poly power generator model - 05/24/07 01:05

i want a model like that
© 2024 lite-C Forums