Portal Madness... WIP

Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Portal Madness... WIP - 05/28/07 17:38

Here's a quick vid of my new portal system. I've gotten much further in progress (a character, bullets, and physics entities that move through the portals). I wanted to post this first, and get some feedback, then when I fix a few bugs in the current version, I'll release more info.

The plan is to create an online multiplayer game with this portal-tech. It will be a futuristic FPS. I plan on adding some new efefcts to (normal mapping, (realtime) environment mapping, physics, etc)...

Give me your souls! ...eh'erm, I mean opinions...
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/28/07 17:41

yeah... would be nice to actually give us tghe link to the video - im not good in guessing
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/28/07 17:42

I think you forgot the video link in your post
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/28/07 17:53

Quote:

I think you forgot the video link in your post

Confirmed

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/28/07 19:03

lol, yeah...

Portal Madness (YouTube)

I actually do that alot, lol. I did it with my normal ampping shader too (I think).
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/28/07 20:10

kinda long, the movie... but you'Re right. it sure is MAD!

how come you can't see the next view? Like... when you see a portal through a portal, you don't see anything there

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/28/07 20:27

Because the angles won't be calculated properly. And because of the rendering system. Computers draw frames, the continuation of light isn't really possible...
Posted By: aztec

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/29/07 07:09

Wow my eye gone wild
Posted By: broozar

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/29/07 07:36

simply brilliant. can you send objects through the portals already?

PS: the portal-in-portal-problem is known by all portal games and is the same as the mirror-facing-a-mirror (infinite reflection) problem which can be truly solved only by a raytracer.

Posted By: frazzle

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/29/07 10:54

Nice work guitar, you're really going great on this portal item !!
If you now even succeed in making objects going through portals, then you're not far behind the 'real protal idea'
Can't wait to see a potential demo from this

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/29/07 15:56

*lol*

What drugs do you take?

Whatever is is, keep on rocking!
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/29/07 21:16

nice work man

Re: Portal Madness... WIP - 05/30/07 03:37

Thank you all for your support, it is really helpfull and much appreciated.

I've ran into one major problem though, the same thing josiah ran into. Collision...

When sending an object through the portals, collision detection would find a wall behind it, and not be able to pass items through. The video above did not check for collision, it was simply a floating point.

To get around this, I have two options:

1) When an object gets near the portal, turn off its physics, drag it through, and then re-enable physics.

2) Program my own [simple] physics system for when the object is near the portal. When it gets close enough to the portal, I'll turn off its physics, run my own simple physics, and move it based on its origin. I just need to transform veleocity and torque. This shouldn't be too difficult, and sounds like the best idea so far.

I just thought off those two ideas as I was writing... lol. Time to get to work...

I'll try to release a demo that uses step #1 before I begin step #2.
© 2024 lite-C Forums