Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making

Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/21/07 18:22

Hi,

at the moment I am deep in the progress of creating a set of models to populate industrial sci-fi models. More comprehensing models will follow.

Here are some textures that I made for this purpose (rendered directly in the GIMP normal-map preview, so this is real-time):

And here are some models of this pack (this is only a small selection of items):

And here is an example how I created a lowpoly model from a highpoly-one:

More will follow later. I also plan to create concept levels with all those models and textures.

I painted those textures in "The GIMP" and modeled the models in Lightwave 3D.
Posted By: vartan_s

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/21/07 19:09

The quality of the work done here is simply amazing. BTW, how many polies are those high poly models and how many is the low poly one?
Posted By: TWO

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/21/07 19:18

OMG *wegrenn*
Posted By: Wicht

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/21/07 19:50

Excellent work.
Your Models/Textures and a GOOD!!! 3D-Engine. That's it.

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/21/07 19:51

The highpoly generator has something around 20 thousand polies. The lowpoly around 100.

But it was much fun to create the highpoly one. Lightwave has fantastic tools to speed up the modelling process.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/21/07 20:00

You're simple a pro when it comes to texturing Frank !!
The skills you've got just don't stop improving won't they

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/21/07 20:40

Professional work, Friendly_Frank, as I am used to see from you... I especially like the generaton thingy in motor2_preview.jpg.
Posted By: adoado

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 02:13

Wow!! They look awesome!
Posted By: TSG_Torsten

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 02:21

I just have to say: Wow!!!
This looks amazing great. Keep on making nice textures like that!

Regards
TSGames
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 03:23

Thats pretty good work Frank. Im also studying how to make textures like that.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 03:55

@nitro777
they're actually pretty easy to do, its just hard to find the right workflow that has the least errors and workarounds, that is easiest for you

@frank
Incredible job, if I may ask, how long did these take?
Posted By: D3D

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 04:03

The pack is for sale or project for client?
Posted By: FoxZero

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 05:09

Those models would definitely add a nice touch to any sci-fi level. The generators were particularly nice and I love the normal maps. Very professional looking.

Some of the best modeling I've seen has come from Lightwave, including some of my all time favorite Quake models I got online. I'd like to get it, but it's probably wayyy beyond my budget.
Posted By: phil3d

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 07:54

looks very good frank you did a great job.

it would look more realistic if the skin would fit more to the geometry of the model. for example in corners and edges there's more rust cause the water longer remains there. the paint also is more sensitive at the edges so you see the blank metal espacially at the edges.

i just did a quick paintover so u see what i mean, hope u don't mind
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 07:58

Wow.That looks awesome.
@Friendly_Frank:Do you have a good tutorial to start with making textures?
Posted By: D3D

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 09:04

@Fear411: Create Professional Game Art Using Photoshop, Digital Texturing & Painting.

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 09:24

May I join the "rusty" thing?
Screws/bolts/edges/base are favored places for grid...
(sorry Friendly_Frank to overpaint your nice texture)

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 09:48

mercuryus got the point, just imagine dirty water is running down the model where would be the places of dirt concentration.

it's just a little unrealistic that there is rust all over it but not at the places where normally rust and dirt is concentratet

Re: Industrial Sci-Fi Model Pack in the Making - 07/22/07 10:17

Thank you all for your the kind words.

Regarding your questions:

frazzle: "The skills you've got just don't stop improving won't they".
I hope so, I still have to learn a lot.

lostclimate: "...if I may ask, how long did these take?"
It depends. Yesterday I made a crate very fast (texture and model) but it took me a few hours to create a texture and model for an air-recycling machine that you can see at the end of this post.

D3D: "The pack is for sale or project for client?"
Initially I started to make this pack for sale but am still not sure about it. There are several reasons to re-think this idea.

FoxZero: Yes, id-Software made a lot of content with Lightwave. They also used Mudbox (a software similar to ZBrush) for adding details. The Unreal-engine also can read lightwave objects natively as well as other engines (e.g. Serious-engine, Unigine-engine, Beyond Virtual). Lightwave has everything a game-artists needs: texture-baking, normal-map-baking and lots of fine editing tools. There are plug-ins for most engines out there (e.g. 3dgs, Torque, Ogre). The price is incredibly low compared to 3ds max, Maya while delivering the same amount of functionality. Because of that it is the king amount indie-developers.

Fear411: "Do you have a good tutorial to start with making textures?"
I never found a tutorial that shows how to create textures like I do. Most of them just show how to use filters or how to paint layers to achieve photo-realistic results. But my work-flow is optimized to get diffuse, height, spec and normal-map with almost one strike. I had to make also lots of little adjustments and experiences to come to the point where I can produce that stuff in a very short time.
The tutorial that has been kindly mentioned by D3D is interesting, teaches a lot of common knowlodge but is still too basic when it comes to the special techniques.

Mercuryus and Phil3d:
Thank you for the hints and comments. This helps alot though I already know how to add rust. I often "forget" or leave it just because of the speed of my working. I already made several hundret of textures and models and sometimes I am too fast and forget the rusty thing. But you are right anyway

air-recycling-machine - 07/22/07 10:23

Here is an air-recycling machine that I made together with a crate yesterday:

This model has something around 500 polygons (triangles).

This model might be fixed at the ceilings of some industrial rooms. Some pipes and cables might be added.
Posted By: Blink

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/22/07 14:45

excellent models. i am an artist, but i do a lot of freehand, so learning how to create awesome skins for my models with paint prorams is something that i am trying to learn right now. that quality can make or break a game. the type of work that i have seen here is truly inspirational.

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/22/07 15:19

Thank you Blink, you are welcome
Posted By: broozar

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/22/07 19:37

excellent as always, congratulations to you, frank.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/22/07 19:42

ill buy them. tell me when they are done!

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/22/07 22:12

Nice new model! Thanks for the info. id has made many of my favorite games, but I didn't know they used Lightwave (I was referring to player created models like the one's of planet-quake.com).

I was expecting it to be around $3000, but it's only around $900! I'll have to start saving for it, I guess my bands new PA system can wait lol.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/23/07 22:20

Well, if my new project goes well, then I'll probably be purchasing ALOT of your work for it. Since it's going to be 2.5D, I can use your models with NM at full quality

Maybe we can find some kind of trade?
Posted By: MrCode

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/23/07 23:38

I so wish I had your modeling and skinning talents .

Right now I'm trying to do a good texture for a futuristic racing vehicle I built (the model itself is okay), but my skins on it are not so good. I can't get that perfect cylindrical mapping like on your air converter, . It's always warped at the seams, top and bottom, or left and right, depending on which part of the model you're looking at.

Then again, you're using different software, so there's probably an "automatic cylindrical map" function in it.

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/24/07 03:43

@mrcode

if you use blender you can use a baked ambient map and the your shading at least will line up

@frank

sorry for cutting in on all the compliments to your great work.

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/24/07 07:46

xXxGuitar:
Thanks. I am looking forward to your 2.5D concept game. I would be happy to help. Actually I also thought about some kind of an 2.5D game for a possible project.

MrCode:
I think this is no talent - just work. Lightwave does cylindrical mapping but at the end I have to move and stretch uv-polygons manually. So there is still some work involved.

LoctClimate:
I am sure that Blender can do all that stuff as well. I once checked and liked it. A baked ambient map is a very good idea if you paint your textures later on. I use this technique for organic models. But for many other models I do it the other way around: I imagine this model in my head or on a paper and then I paint textures first. After that I start to model and uv-map the object. It is way more fun since I can apply textures right in the moment I am creating the mesh. It even saves time.

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/24/07 17:30

never thought of that, I might give it a try. the only other issue is that if you bake it, you can subdivide and get real normal maps, not the crappy plugin for gimp made ones. I'll have to give your idea a try tho sometime.

Re: air-recycling-machine - 07/24/07 17:42

Well, I'm actually at the airport right now heading home, so I don't have much time. I'm still trying to make a story, but if you already have one, and you wan't to try this technique, then I'd be glad to program it for you. (Damn space key keeps getting stuck).....

gotta let me know whats up...

new model - 07/28/07 18:26

Here is one of 2 models that created today (simple mesh but detailed texture):

Re: new model - 07/28/07 19:57

nice but the buttons and (schieberegeler) look like they come from the 1980s. when i think of sci-fi it think of bright colorfull touchable display to control everything

Re: new model - 07/28/07 20:24

That high-tech look, what you are talking of, is not what I am looking for. I want a mixture of industrial and sci-fi. Some of the next models will show that more intensely. At the end it should look modern and old at the same time, but hopefully still convincing.

I am not after the star-trek look.
Posted By: William

Re: new model - 07/29/07 07:17

Amazing work Frank! It all looks very professional.
Posted By: Nems

Re: new model - 07/29/07 07:26

Simply superb work.

Re: new model - 07/29/07 18:53

Thank you very much, William and Nemisis.

Re: new model - 07/30/07 01:48

That's a really nice model. That would look good in my bedroom next to my nightstand, instead of using my unreliable cheap clock radio to wake me up I can wake up to annoying sci-fi beeps and klaxons and then push 20,000 and enter five passwords to shut it up, then every morning can be like a sci-fi movie!

Re: new model - 07/30/07 18:53

60's fallout style! yay!

just another model - 08/02/07 19:25

Here is another model, some kind of a turbine or generator:

Regards,
Frank

Re: just another model - 08/02/07 19:31

Sehr schön und sehr realistisch.
Sehr gute Arbeit!
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: just another model - 08/03/07 13:17

hey frank sieht echt genial aus, hast du mal darüber nachgedacht ein tutorial zum anfertigen von eigenen texturen zu schreiben?

Re: just another model - 08/03/07 13:35

Thank you for the kind words.

Scorpion: I will write you a PM to answer your question.

Re: just another model - 08/03/07 18:31

lol, nobody knows what it is.. but it looks kick ass (as always)...

Your work is very professional. I'm just waiting to see it in a 3DGS game...
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: just another model - 08/04/07 10:27

So Frank , so when is the next-gen human model pack coming out ? Remember that discussion over next gen art , and how u kept saying it was as easy and fast to make as current gen art , so , where is the model pack. It's been a pretty long time and havnt even see you mention a wip of it anywhere , I thought they were fast to make ?

Re: just another model - 08/04/07 15:00

xXxGuitar: Thanks for the encouraging words. I appreciate it.

Whydoidie:
Thanks for the question.
My goal is to create a complete concept level including character model(s). After finishing the first concept rooms I will work on the character models. It will have at least the same quality like the previous models. The normal maps will be even better since I will make it from a high poly model.

Sorry for stressing your patience so long
I'll do my best. I do all that only in my spare time. At the moment I have a job with 40 hours per week plus my own software company. So it is heavy work. But I will not give up.

By the way: If I get new paid modeling jobs then it will even take longer. Paid jobs come first my personal packs come later.

Thanks for watching and reading, best regards,
Frank

Re: just another model - 10/23/07 13:19

I realized that this pack already produced dozens of textures and so I created a few more and finished a new texture-pack alongside.

You will find more infos here, if you are interested:
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/795054/Main/795054/#Post795054

I will post some new model shots very soon.

Re: just another model - 10/23/07 18:59

Thanks for updating these Frank, they look nice aslways
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for the new models

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Nems

Re: just another model - 10/23/07 19:49

Your just awesome Friendly_Frank, inspiring and 'wow' factor screenies, always enjoyed poping in here.
I keep looking for work flow and app usage ideas and find a few good pointers from you too scattered about, great stuff

3 new models - 10/23/07 20:11

Thank you Nems and Frazzle, just for you I will add 2 new images of the model pack (showing a new office-chair, a control-table and a column-thingy ):

Regards,
Frank
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: 3 new models - 10/23/07 21:00

Looks Awsome Frank...

But WHERE ist the "RED - Do not Push" Button on the Control Table?

Can you make me some Models for free?

cYa Sebastian

Re: 3 new models - 10/23/07 21:31

hey, the control table looks like the beam desk from enterprise TOS

Re: 3 new models - 10/23/07 21:58

Okay. Then I have another one for you, just to distract from the control table
But it still does not have a big red button, sorry

You will realize that some of the used textures are available with the latest texture pack.

Re: 3 new models - 10/24/07 20:00

Quote:

Thank you Nems and Frazzle, just for you I will add 2 new images of the model pack (showing a new office-chair, a control-table and a column-thingy ):

You're too kind ^^
Oh well, I guess I'll be sounding quite familiar by know regarding your textures so I'll keep it short:
Pro work

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: 3 new models - 10/24/07 23:52

Looks good so far, but you the upper Part, if this has another Texture, maybe it looks better... You know what i mean?

cYa Sebastian

Re: 3 new models - 02/09/08 16:49

Finally I found some time to go back working on sci-fi models. Here are 2 new machines:

Regards,
Frank

overhead crane - 02/10/08 10:49

Another model has been finished: an overhead crane.

And here it is rendered in real-time:

Re: overhead crane - 02/10/08 12:40

I think the smiley says it all

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Damocles

Re: overhead crane - 02/11/08 00:10

Frank you should make a variation of the green-metal basetexture.
The structure of the rust-patches (das muster der rostflecken) can be seen in most models,
indicating you use the same metal-base-picture over and over.

Re: overhead crane - 02/11/08 03:53

lol, ive agreed with damocles for a while but i thought i'd look like an ass if i said that
Posted By: Helghast

Re: overhead crane - 02/11/08 08:22

Quote:

lol, ive agreed with damocles for a while but i thought i'd look like an ass if i said that

constructive criticism, Frank has been around long enough to know it's not a flame. Instead people learn LOADS from this, others should do this more often!
(not only in this thread, but overall throughout this forum).

and i agree, the rust looks too repetetive, but the overall quality looks real nice! only thing i didnt get, why is the railing on that last big generator broken ? looks a bit random...
keep it up though

regards,
Posted By: fogman

Re: overhead crane - 02/11/08 12:52

Maybe you could animate the damaged rail?
That would be awesome, then we could generate a nice accident.

Re: overhead crane - 02/11/08 13:33

Yes. I love constructive critics. They help to get better. I know that I cannot create perfect models but at least I try to do so. And because of that I need some help from time to time.

Fogman: You know that I like the idea to create accidents with some of the models, some breaking pipes, exploding barrels or crashing machines. Maybe a rotating ventilator breaking from its fixing can be interesting as well.

If somebody needs a special machine for this pack then just let me know and post some image links.

Quote:

why is the railing on that last big generator broken ?

This is simple: It looks boring with a perfect railing. I love it when there are some random elements like dirt, broken and used parts, some tools left behind and so on. It creates a more living impression, just like it could be more real than a perfect measured and computer generated image.

If you look closely to the image then you will see that also some of the other railing parts are slightly twisted and bended.
Posted By: lionclaws

Re: overhead crane - 02/12/08 21:36

Hey Frank great job on the SciFi pack.I love the detailing and quality of the skins.Keep up the good work.:)

steam boiler model - 02/17/08 14:44

Thank you lionclaws.

Here is another model:

And this is rendered in real-time without shadows:

Posted By: sPlKe

Re: steam boiler model - 02/17/08 15:34

id love to see a few shots of your models thrown into a small level runing in gamestudio.. just to see hwo pretty they are^^

Re: steam boiler model - 02/17/08 23:15

that last one rocks, i think it is your best work yet. also the lack of the green makes it seem more realistic. i love it. great job
Posted By: Andvari

Re: steam boiler model - 02/17/08 23:23

Fantastic job Frank, your textures are great, and I love the design of the machines too

Re: steam boiler model - 02/18/08 08:14

Thank you Lostclimate and Andvari.

Spike: Yes we are currently working on a Prototype in A7. Some machines will perhaps make it into the demo, but it depends on the level.
Posted By: iuselitec

Re: steam boiler model - 02/18/08 11:04

did you grow up in east germany? some of your designs have some kind of eastern bloc flair to them.

i like them but i also would prefer more engine previews instead of lightwave renders.

Re: steam boiler model - 02/18/08 11:29

Quote:

did you grow up in east germany? some of your designs have some kind of eastern bloc flair to them.

i like them but i also would prefer more engine previews instead of lightwave renders.

Because of that I showed real-time previews in last 2 announcements. And if we announce a pack then I also show at least a few real-time images. I understand this and I am not afraid to show them. With shaders they can look like a rendered image.

Regarding the other question:
Yes. I grew up in eastern Germany. But the designs of the machines are common in western Germany as well. I like some old machinery from 80s. They are more functional. But I try to add some modern elements to transfer the ideas into the future.
Here is how a steam boiler looked in the past (sexy):
http://hebig.org/photos/collieries/heinrichrobert/data/bwhr_28.jpg
New machines are often covered and dont look very detailed:
http://www.energo-spaw.pl/en/kotlownie-foto/duze/8.jpg
(similiar but ugly though I could have made it with less polies)
Posted By: June

Re: steam boiler model - 02/21/08 02:22

I like

new machine images - 03/27/08 18:12

It is almost done. Here are some new rendered images of the machines in a little sci-fi scene.

And here you can see, how they look in a game-engine with normal-mapping applied. As you can see, the quality of still renders and real-time images is almost the same if you have access to good lighting and shaders.
I am sure with the right shader it can look the same in Gamestudio:

Re: new machine images - 03/27/08 20:47

Love the atomosphere around the entire work, it really feels sci-fi
Off course, the models and the textures itself are even more impressive
Btw, you really are creative with those nicks aren't ya ^^

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: new machine images - 03/27/08 21:15

Thanks Frazzle
Sometimes it is hard to be creative.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: new machine images - 03/28/08 01:20

woot! a borg alcove
j/k... really cool work

very nice models.
would be cool to see 3dgs ingame shots though....
Posted By: William

Re: new machine images - 03/28/08 04:24

Looks great!
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: new machine images - 03/28/08 06:49

O.k. first off all... yes, the models look "good".

But the main point is, that you can not combine
a mesh that looks like "clean star wars" with
textures which look like "dirty alien".

So (my opinion) I personally see a harmonic break in the design.
Anyway - I hope you will sell them well. Looks like hard work.

Re: new machine images - 03/28/08 11:47

Quote:

But the main point is, that you can not combine
a mesh that looks like "clean star wars" with
textures which look like "dirty alien".

Please look more carefully. The textures of the environment and the machines often use the same colors, similar dirt distribution, similar saturation and similar style.

There is no "clean star wars" at all. Star wars often uses white or grey colors without dirt and with colorful terminals. I am far away from this and this is what I had in mind: an industrial sci-fi look with mixed elements from cool history machinery.

And there is not a single mesh "borrowed" from StarWars. They have influences from real machinery combined with some new elements, slightly changed designs and more complex textures than real ones.

I dont like StarWars or Enterprise look. I want to have a more realistic appeal.

Re: new machine images - 03/28/08 11:56

oh, I looked very carefully..

the geometric forms of your objects look like clean symmetric ones - but the textures look dirty. That is the problem.
It seems, that someone build the models and someone other created the textures. Only my opinion.
But the overall look is good - and for the price o.k.

Re: new machine images - 03/28/08 12:04

It is still not entirely true. The geometry has some distortions as well. Some railings are bended and broken as an example. It is not clean.

Maybe you expected an exploded geometry with holes and debris. But this is not good for a common pack.

Re: new machine images - 03/28/08 12:08

And maybe you tune up your ideas for the machines.
It seems that all geomietric forms are very easy placed together.
I can easily see cylinders, wheels, blocks.
It is a very easy desing. Not complicated at all.
Play with more asymetric forms, try give them a more complex design.

Re: new machine images - 03/28/08 12:29

Since I made many of them from real images you see that the world often is built from cylinders, blocks, tubes and plates.

This is exactly what I had in mind. I don't wanted to create organic living Quake4 or Prey structures. If you are looking for that then I can make it as a custom work only for you. I don't think it sells very good. It is a bit too special.
© 2024 lite-C Forums