My Game Progress

Posted By: jumpman

My Game Progress - 10/22/07 01:27

hey everyone its been a while since I posted, wanted to show you the progress Ive made during my breaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaoPkojDkms

Its a squad based shooter Im working on, and the video shows you the different parts of the game Ive isolated to get them modular. So far Ive gotten down a few of the major parts of the game:

1. 3d Pathfinding with multiple entities:

After the nodes are placed in the level, I use Test Runner entities to move to a specified node beforehand to see how well the nodes are placed, then move to a random node. These little guys update the console with information such as how long the pathfinding function took and whether it has lost its Line of Sight with its target node. I have also replaced their model with my Keith model for fun . There are also node blockers, which are map entities that are placed to block nodes from seeing each other if the level calls for it. At the moment the entity avoidance is at best crude. The base pathfinding was made with George Pirvu's excellent Perfect AI from the AUMS, and I cant thank him enough.

2. Multiple Bone Rotation towards target:

Error014 helped me achieve bone rotation limits. A bone will stop rotating if the target angle was above a given number. What I added was being able to have the head rotate towards it's own target on top of the torso bone which has the head as a child. After I figured this out, I was able to make eyeballs rotate on top of head rotations, on top of torso rotations all within the same model(not using seperate entities for the eyes). Although you cant see it clearly in the video, it is creepy and cool to see the eyes track the camera. Along with the multiple childeren rotation, I am now able to nudge rotations of already tracking bones. With this I can easily implement body hit checks that affects aiming, and things like "ducking" while shooting as shown in the video.

3. Realtime IK:

I call it the Poor Man's Realtime IK. One of the characters that will join your team will be a large muscular soldier carrying a large machine gun, that must be carried with 2 hands. The initial problem was having the arms track the target, but the arm carrying the handle in the front would be out of rotation and holding nothing. The Poor Man's IK would be applyed to the front arm ,which will cause the arm and hand to snap correctly to the handle in front. Although its not seen in the video, this IK will be used for this purpose along with many, MANY others......robotic spider legs adjusting to terrain.... holding the hand of a following NPC......

4. Bodypart Collisions:

This fun little system implements body part sensitive collisions. Using sprites sitting on top of bones as collision boxes, incoming projectiles trigger hit checks on the sprites. In turn the hit sprites tell the model to adjust the bone angle, or more easily, switch to a pain animation of the corresponding bodypart. Right now there are only front and back hit directions, but many more can be easily added. This should open up some nice subtle elements of gameplay.... damage from behind or at the flanks are greater.....headshots.....shoot the legs of an armored target to impair movement....shoot hands to throw off aim....customizable body armor.....

5. Target Switching and LOS:

Although not as cool looking as the others, the targetting system is important. Once a soldier sees a target, he will track it and fire at it until it goes out of LOS. If he sees another target he will fire upon that one.(assuming the soldier remains stationary). Although it looks stupid now, it should be easily appendable to the soldiers AI to seek the target after it has lost LOS, and to aquire new targets if they come into LOS (would be stupid for a soldier to chase down one soldier if a new enemy attacks him)

I normally dont post things like this, but Ive realized Ive come a long way during the summer and my free time. I wanted to show you guys how much work is going into this game. Most likely, based on my current schedule, I will be putting the "How To" of how I did everything on my website in the future.

Tell me what you think.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 07:13

/clap

Really cool stuff, especially IK (you have to share this code )

If you combine all of your systems very well, it could be a cool game. Can't wait to see more of it
Posted By: Joozey

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 07:16

Lol Jumpman this looks very funny and neat!
Good to see you back from a while Keep this stuff up!
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 09:29

You can sell the code? are in litec?
I like to much the way how the soldier walk over the floor
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 11:26

Looks great! I am really interested in IK, can you explain how it's done?
Posted By: Damocles

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 11:35

Looks quite good in the video.
I like the detached bodyparts for moving the actors.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 11:44

Quote:

Looks great! I am really interested in IK, can you explain how it's done?

IK's arent that hard to calculate, just need to convert it over to a right bone translation.

great job there JumpMan, i really liked the bullet impact part, looking really pro

regards,

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 12:14

like vec_to_following_bones_origin()?
Posted By: Poison

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 12:15

thats amazing

Really good.

Cheers

Poison Byte
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 13:22

damnit...i feel so small now...so small...you'r so big O.o
no, really great work!
Posted By: Helghast

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 14:55

Quote:

like vec_to_following_bones_origin()?

add me to MSN or ICQ, i got an example in flash, shouldnt be too hard to convert into 3D (not at al actually, just never thought of doing it, lol).

regards,

(sorry for hacking the thread)
Posted By: cartoon_baboon

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 15:42

Truly amazing. If the rest is as pro as this it'll be a great game.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 18:47

Nice comeback jumpman, quite impressive
I like how you implanted the rotating bone system together with the bone collision system, great concept !!
I actually never thought that it could aid in such a matter to resolve the problem for rotating bodyparts at an accurate way, thanks for showing it
Keep up the great work, waiting for updates.

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Nems

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 19:48

Absolutly awesome jumpman, congrats on the good results for must have been hard out work.
Love the pathfinding and the adjustable parts.

How are you imlpementing, as a game or module?
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 20:38

Excellent stuff.

Quote:

Error014 helped me achieve bone rotation limits.

Me, too but mine is restricted to my character's head given that's all I need for an adventure game. Error is one of the most helpful and generous people on here (and he's pretty humble).

Keep up the good work.

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 21:37

hey everyone,

thanks for taking a look and leaving comments, its really encouraging especially since the game is just beginning to start. I find the beginning the hardest part to get going.

Everything here is done in c-script.

Yes I will be putting the how-to on everything, especially the IK, on my website. But remember that its the "Poor Man's IK", so dont be surprised if you dont find any secret vector math or anything, because I use a funny yet simple solution to it .

Nems:

So far every important feature is becoming modular, but in the end the demo/game will have everything working together. Ive been able to combine the Bone rotation code to the body collision code really easily, mainly because whatever effect is needed is just called by a single funcion(); in the action's main loop. All these effects have their own little levels made to isolate them and get them working (as you can see in the video). I have my fingers crossed but Ive been literally combining effects with single function calls, and its working great so far.

After I iron out some pathfinding loose ends, I hope to put pathfinding, bone rotation, bone collision, scanning and targetting and firing into one single entity! At that point I think I would have a hard time choosing what route to take for my game. Do I make a simple deathmatch AI to test it out? Or do I jump right into the squad AI Behavior? I dont know but Im glad Im getting to that point

But most importantly, all these different effects open up all the other types of games Ive wanted to make. So instead of rewriting the bone rotation code, all I would have to do is include<>;, then name the bones, and call the function.

The next few updates will probobly be pretty boring concerning cleaning up the script, but Ill be putting some character concept drawings soon.
Posted By: ambe

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 22:44

Nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing a workin' demo. ^ ^
Posted By: Damocles

Re: My Game Progress - 10/22/07 23:33

Let me guess what you do for the Inverse Kinematics:

You change angels of the joints "randomly", and continue, or reverse the movement
given that the "hand" is getting closer to the target position?
This way you reach the target, without the need
to calculate the correct movment at the beginning.
Posted By: Mondivirtuali

Re: My Game Progress - 10/23/07 15:31

It is amazing. If you make a templates \ examples I could pay for this.

Submachine gun or Rifle? not sure - 11/11/07 00:48

hey guys, putting up a small update for my game. Ive been working on a simple "search for enemies, find cover if you do" script. So far two teams of placeholder art spheres scan for enemies, alert their allies, then find cover. They then proceed to pop up and fire, then return to ducking. If their position is visible to the enemy (the enemy can see it) the unit will find new cover. The script is bare bones and doesn't use any animation, or the pathfinding system, so its not worth putting up a video of it.

However I do have a small update on a model Im working on. Its going to be the general issue submachine gun/rifle for your "all around" skilled allies.

The design is a mixture of the P90, and the FAMAS:

Here are the shots from Maya, including my reference drawing for it:

Heres a shot from MED

There are lots of technically superfluous details here and there on the gun that I'm sure really dont add to the functionality of the gun. I just made the design because it looked cool

It has 3,856 polygons/faces which is grossly overweight compared to the character models that will be holding it. I put in alot of detail in the beginning to flesh it out, (also because its fun ), but in the next few stages I will be trimming lots of polygons here and there. Textures and normal maps will be coming later.

tell me what you think.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Submachine gun or Rifle? not sure - 11/11/07 01:29

Wow! You are doing amazing stuff!

In case that you use it for first person too. You shouldn't reduce it, simply add LODs.

You could sell this gun seperately! Start a gun shop in Second Life to earn some extra money!

Re: Submachine gun or Rifle? not sure - 11/11/07 02:14

hey thanks pappenheimer! Does second life let you use outside software to make the models?

Here's the reduced version of the model, I trimmed it down to a total of 1270 polygons from 3k. It was important to keep the silhouette of the gun distinct while reducing polys. The outline of the gun is the most important because thats its "character".

Even though lots of definition was lost, such as sharp rims and ridges on the front grip area, the texture should be able to pick up the slack, and the normal map should add a bit more:

Re: Submachine gun or Rifle? not sure - 11/11/07 07:05

I textured the gun. I have problems working with inorganic models and my tablet. Its hard to draw straight lines and stuff, and in the end the gun texture looks like a painting, although it fits with the style of the characters Im going to make:

KEITH IS READY TO ROCK

seeing him actually hold the gun is encouraging.

Re: Submachine gun or Rifle? not sure - 11/11/07 08:54

He is cool! GO Keith

Re: Submachine gun or Rifle? not sure - 11/11/07 09:32

Keith is funny But still cool
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: My Game Progress - 11/11/07 11:03

Amazing stuff, I watched the video a few times, it is quite entertaining!
btw. cool style in the combination of test objects and some nice stuff like the lasers.
Posted By: Error

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 08:08

Wow. Great work.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 08:44

Wow, that's some awesome stuff.. Care sparing the bone/rig adjustements code?
Would be awesome to be implemented to our engine, since we already have bone animation (rigs exported from Blender)

Looking forward on this, this is may become another "Lived"-scale thread
Posted By: zazang

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 09:05

awesome !
Posted By: Nicolas_B

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 13:22

Its a nice modell.
Great job
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 13:40

the video is cool, but the picture of the gun you posted is (in my humble opinion) ugly...
Posted By: broozar

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 13:55

yes, the gun looks like made of clay or chewing gum. maybe it's really not a good idea to use the tablet for things like that...

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 15:35

Yes it does guys but artistic license in this sense gives us a good view on a little used technique known as Caricature and Grotesque, which is an over or under emphasis on parts of the subject to derive cartoon like imagery.

This is of course, contrary to the more refined technical polished look but if your making a game with a toon flavour, such a style suits and suits really well.

We get enough of fine quality technical works and simply not enough of this type.

Im not too hot at it drawing wise but my sculptures sell primarily because of it.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 15:56

i know this is part of the style, but it doesnt have to look SO MUCH exaggerated. It could have more of the original shape and less "shakes" more kind of curvy lines and the such instead of as it is now; as if it would have been hit by a train several times
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 16:06

It looks magnificent!

In case you change it, please send me this one, that I at least can save it for later generations!
Posted By: broozar

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 16:08

cartoony objects usually are more rounded and have less tech-toys, so they are simplified...
Posted By: frazzle

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 17:04

I like the style, it's kind of unique if you ask me
You gave it a mix between a normal looking model and a cartoony look which I find quite creative
Keep up the great work !!

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Straight_Heart

Re: My Game Progress - 11/12/07 19:44

I saw the video and I've got to say it looks pretty cool, I would like to see more. Maybe you can release video clips like a developer diary, with your own intro and stuff. You really dont see developers show the nuts and guts of their game, other than the "staged beta", where everything conveniently looks nice, but is considered "beta". All this really takes into account if you're actually going to work on this game, instead of it dying out later (like most other promising projects here, no offense). Ive got a few questions/comments:

I particularly like the body collision system. It offers that second level of depth to the character, instead of seeing the bullet disappear mid air due to his collision box(which usually extend outside the model). Will you give seperate animations for each body part getting hit? It would be awesome if you did. A shotgun blast to the back would arch his spine forward, a headshot from the front would tilt his body back and drop.

The bone rotation is pretty nifty. You said that the character's eyes track the camera? Can you show some video of this effect? Ive seen this alot in games, and it really does make the character seem alive instead of a robot.

How will the A.I work in the game? Will each soldier be scripted as solo players or integrated into a group system right off the bat? Or a mix of both?

The gun you made looks technically nice, I like the design. Although I can't really see the texture clearly from the shots of Keith holding it (whom by the way is pretty cool looking). I do agree with the others that it may be a wierd combination of cartoony texture and "realistic" design. But I cant say too much about it since the gun in the image is small. From what I saw it looks more like a painted style, kind of like the older style of drawing highlight, texture and shadow right into the the texture. Nowadays you need seperate maps for color, bump, specular instead of making it one static texture.

Hopefully this project won't vaporize because its pretty cool so far, but from what I see it's still a group of small dis-jointed systems which look promising, but not enough to go on.
© 2024 lite-C Forums