The Truth Reveled

Posted By: darkjavas

The Truth Reveled - 10/30/07 21:42

Here is a game I am starting to work on, so far I got a few hallways but this is the starting part, you will understand why you start there and why everything is red when you see the start. Comments are welcome.

Posted By: Inestical

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/30/07 22:23

overlit scene with default textures.

looks good start, pay attention to minor and major details, we do have computing power to render it

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/30/07 22:48

What do you mean by default textures, i understand about lights to bright, and I will cut it down abit.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/30/07 23:01

Just a question out of interest, are those duke nukem 3D textures?

So far not bad, but you need to think of some more structure within your level design. At the moment it's pretty empty and all there is are cubic spaces. That's fine to start with, but you need to think in terms of functionality if you want to make a scene really convincing.

Good luck,

Cheers

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/30/07 23:07

Thanks for the comment and I will add more, and the textures are not from Duke Nukem, And if your wondering the area is red because the game is basicly about a underground scince place and they have made a clone merchine, and you are a viewer to check if this works but the whole thing goes wrong and insted of cloneing it creates mutants, and later on in the game the mutants get out and then you got to kill them but they infect everything making more mutants, there are 50 floors to the game each floor very big. so this will take some time.
Posted By: Straight_Heart

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 03:49

cant say anything worthwhile about your screens other than its reeeeeddddddd. The white light in the first shot dosent fit with the red color of the rooms.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 05:54

I think it looks like youve at least put some decent work on it, as far as lighting goes, try and look at how other games are lit, and find some tutorials online about level lighting. also, it really helps if you use textures that have a similare color scheme to them, making a smoother look.

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 09:12

The hallways you see are the only red ones there, after that they should all be normal, and I did model the light to be red but it keeps going white, someone help.
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 09:44

If I recall correctly: The blue value of any light must not be zero.
To be sure always use 1 as lowest setting for each color component.
Example:
For a red color:
rgb(255,1,1)

About your screenshots:
Interesting for a start and a beginner.
But there is definatly room for improvements.

Hint: Find a game that suits the style you are after, run it and just take a look at the level design.
Make notes or even some sketchs and pay attention to details like: how to they embed a door into the wall, how is the transition from floor<->wall and wall<->ceiling .. what other stuff is in there etc.
You should also consider what you design as blocks (wed) and what you could add as models. (cables and all the fine detailed stuff should be models)

edit:
You should also always keep in mind what function the room has and what might be needed in the real world.
But don't just try to make everything "real" .. as a game developer you mostly need to make a compromise between "real" and "gamer friendly".

If you have the chance: pick up the HL2 episode one (and two) and play it with the comment marks switched on, there are some nice hints and tricks where even indies can learn from.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 11:47

Indeed the area is waaay too red. Use lightning with care and place it on the right places.

The white lamp shouldnt have that big lightrange, make it so small that it just doesnt touch the walls and the ground. It will look like its turned on, and in real life the lamp wouldn't make such an odd white spot on the wall.

The textures are often cut off (for example, the roof, that thing above the gate, the floor in the second room. Make sure they fit in your environment, and be sure not to use too much repetition. With standard textures is ment that you used alot of them from the standard.wad. They just look very unprofessional and gives your game that blocky empty nonrealistic feeling .

And, yeah, dress your rooms with stuff, models, make it less empty.

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 12:12

Thanks for all you comments, I have done more I will update this later on this day
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 13:45

Quote:

And if your wondering the area is red because the game is basicly about a underground scince place and they have made a clone merchine

This makes perfect sense to me...If it is an underground base with a clone merchine then of course it has to have red lighting.
Posted By: broozar

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 14:26

you didn't?

@dark: see this enterprise screenshot, even at "condition red" not everything's red.

Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 17:42

Quote:

Quote:

And if your wondering the area is red because the game is basicly about a underground scince place and they have made a clone merchine

This makes perfect sense to me...If it is an underground base with a clone merchine then of course it has to have red lighting.

The cloning went wrong, so there is a red alarmlight ^^

Dark_Samurai
Posted By: frazzle

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 19:42

The start is always the hardest part, just keep on improving element as you go on while developing this project
Experimentating is the best way of gathering experience

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 22:10

This is yes my first game and yes the light is red as it did go wrong and the alarms are going off.
Posted By: FBL

Re: The Truth Reveled - 10/31/07 22:59

Excellent choice of color!

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/01/07 19:20

i have played half life, but the lighting on there is strange, its aways light and the lights are not close to each other, can someone explain
Posted By: Lennart_hillen

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/01/07 19:29

You can set ambient lighting in the map-properties window have a go at that
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/01/07 20:49

Use weak lights with big ranges at bright spots to fake radiousity. Use ambient light. It isn't easy to achieve realistic lightmapping
Posted By: Nems

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/01/07 21:38

Great start darkjavas, but a bit too much red. You need to think how such a color would effect the visual interpretation of panicked people and adjust for that whilst still maintaining the 'look' of a red alert that most players would accept as DEFCON 10 or Alarm I think but still, I like that red (The Red Game!)
Posted By: Marwan

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/01/07 21:48

It looks like a horror game , I think that red lighting is not suited any more for horror games , something like yellowish grey could be alot more attractive

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/01/07 22:00

I am going to cut down the red, i will try update my pictures soon, and what should i put the ambient at.thanks for all your comments from Darkjavas
Posted By: Joozey

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/02/07 00:23

Quote:

It looks like a horror game , I think that red lighting is not suited any more for horror games , something like yellowish grey could be alot more attractive

Yellowish Grey... that sounds to me like a rotten infected zombie horror survival color

Depends on your view on it, but I think red would be more like a slaughter horror game
yellow brown would be an -oh-no-the-world-is-infected-by-a-deadly-virus-that-turns-everything-into-evil-dead-rotten-biomass survivor game
I think big contrasts with black 'n white is a very psychologic horror genre, no dead bodies, no slaughter, just pure evil... like those asian horror movies <.<

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/02/07 19:34

Lol, I think red is okay, and its only for little parts of the game

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/02/07 22:10

Update screen shot, please comment.

Posted By: checkbutton

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/03/07 00:35

Real buidlings' architecture and other, similar games are often a good clue for designing a level.
Posted By: broozar

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/03/07 01:38

where's the difference compared to the 1st screenshot?
Posted By: aztec

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/03/07 07:02

Quote:

where's the difference compared to the 1st screenshot?

I´d say it´s a little bit darker and has more color

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/03/07 13:26

And there is more Stuff in the shot

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/03/07 15:24

It's not bad but the level qua geometry isn't quite exiting.
Maybe you can show more shots since this one isn't really giving any real info about the level so we can hardly comment on it, or maybe it's just the position from where you took the screenie which gives a bad perspective angle

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/03/07 22:19

I am making more rooms dont worrie, Its just i needed some Light models and I'm having hard time finding some good ones.
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/04/07 05:46

Hi Dark,

I do like the floor... it has that messed up look to it..

I think your working the process the wrong way tho... and i understand it. We all want to build a room and see how cool it looks with the lighting...and lights do make the rooms look cool

But I think you should build your rooms first and worry about lighting later. What you'll do anyway is make each room into its own seperate entity, because the build time required for lighting takes a while, and you dont want to be building and testing lights in a whole level... it'll take forever to even test 1 small change in lighting. So you'll want to test each room on it's own.

Just move forward and continue with your levels/rooms and don't get stuck in just 1 room because of a light... and meanwhile... get rid of the red light, and when you come back later, you'll have a better understanding how to make it look great with lighting

- Jason
Posted By: zazang

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/04/07 06:18

Bright red..my eyes are throbbing..would never want to play this
Hint : Dont update screens with a few models and post again and again..show something substanatial for feedback.

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/04/07 19:00

Quote:

I am making more rooms dont worrie, Its just i needed some Light models and I'm having hard time finding some good ones.

Oke, then I guess I'll be waiting for more updated screenies

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: The Truth Reveled - 11/05/07 21:24

You will hopefully

Re: The Truth Reveled - 09/04/08 22:18

This game did go dead, but i am remaking it soon so hope you all are ready for it to come back. (only if youwant it lol).
Posted By: cro_games

Re: The Truth Reveled - 09/04/08 23:41

So red. wink

Re: The Truth Reveled - 09/05/08 14:59

it wont be as red lol.
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: The Truth Reveled - 09/05/08 15:07

Will you have your own textures this time? Or maybe use higer res ones, also am i right to assume you are using blocks, if so i would advise using models.

Thanks,
Blade
Posted By: Nidhogg

Re: The Truth Reveled - 09/05/08 15:55

Just a tip maybe. Make the lights into a flashing or rotating
warning light... So they change between red and a fluresent
type light colour..

Re: The Truth Reveled - 09/05/08 20:26

lol have no idea how to do that yet. but good idea.

Re: The Truth Reveled - 09/06/08 08:18

I am still waiting for some new screens ^^
Anyway, it's good to see you picked up the work again wink wink

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: The Truth Reveled - 09/06/08 15:51

lol
You shall get your screenshots Frzzle.

I only stoped because it was only me and i was slowing down as i did not know what to do.
but me and my friend are doing this now so i will try get it all done lol.

Anyone want to help also as i need at the moment a moderler. i shall put some of the concept my friend did soon.
© 2024 lite-C Forums