The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP)

Posted By: Slin

The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/04/07 20:43

On friday I was asked by Tristan3D to help him on realising a small scene with the goal to create it as good looking as possible with 3DGS.
I was impressed by his models and decided to help him. I am doing the shaderwork and some developementassistence since he doesnīt have very much experience with 3DGS yet. I asked him to post this but he kept on making me to do so

We are using some basic normalmapping and a textureresolution of 1024*1024.
The Level is made out of Models and is going to get filled with more models very soon

We are quite happy with it until now, though I have to get rid of the very high contrast the shader produces...

We will post our progress and are hoping for some C&C to improve the scene.
I think that the pictures are a bit to dark or is it just my screen...?
But we hope you like it

Here are the pictures:

Posted By: Mythran

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/04/07 20:46

Yes it's a bit dark, but perfect the way it is.
You're work is... I wish i could put my hands of something like that!!!
Posted By: broozar

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/04/07 20:48

wow, really great. i am pretty much impressed. i even don't mind the overall plastic look. your feeling for colors and structure (see the carpet) is very good. it reminds me of Thief3 which is one of the best games i've ever played.
Posted By: chaotic_dragon

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/04/07 20:54

what shader are you using?
Posted By: ello

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/04/07 20:57

good work there.. you could add some flags or carpets which slightly move (by shader) and candles for a nice dynamic lighting, too

personally i think it all looks kinda metal like. maybe you can turn down the specular a bit, but i guess its a matter of taste
Posted By: Tristan3D

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/04/07 21:13

Thanks guys

I got a TFT Screen, so things a bit dark because of that I believe

broozar: Which is no coincidence... I am a hu(uuuu)ge Fan of Thief 3 as well. Oblivion too is one of my favorite Games

ello: Details like candles and flags will be added later - I have a whole list of things which I'd like to implement - dunno if it's possible to put such an amount of objects (about 52) into this scene and keep the FPS at a good rate at the same time, but we try our best. The metalic look will be lowered through shader improvements by slin (who's doing a great job! Thanks man!). The specular balance will be changed then as well.

Tristan
Posted By: achaziel

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/04/07 21:17

first: it doesn't matter whether you've got a tft or not. those are screenshots i suppose.

i have to say that this is one of the most impressive pieces done with 3dgs i've ever seen. the only minus is that plastic look, but i'm sure you'll get rid of that.
may i ask what the frame rate is approximately?

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/04/07 21:21

achaziel: Thanks Yeah - going into this specular issue at the final stages

With a resolution of 1024x768/16 bit depth and all shader effects on my system it's 72 the most and 52 the least in some places.

Things are fast right now - but this will change when I implement more objects with complex textures and geometry.

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/04/07 21:23

Quote:

first: it doesn't matter whether you've got a tft or not. those are screenshots i suppose.

It does, since it looks a bit brighter on his screen.

Thanks for all the nice words
It runs with ca 85fps on my system (8800gts 640mb, 3.2 ghz, 1gb ram, xp home, ...).
Posted By: Nems

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 01:18

Cool looking scenes, like the carpet/rug, I think its awsome but as pointed out, the specularity is too much, sort of thing that needs a bright light to produce or an extremely wet surface.

Something I havnt seen yet (probably just my bad...) is a varnished wood effect which maybe the spec could really help define with a bit of ambient spread to give it a richness for the eyes (dont know as shader work is too advanced for me )

Nice project!
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 05:16

Wow, nice
comments - too relief look of desc and carpet(they should be almost flat IMHO), and not enough relief floor(since it is made of stone)
wood is too shiny, other things don't look very plastic to me.
But these are only tiny drawbacks, overally it looks very cool

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 06:10

Thanks Taking that into account

This is the next Model I gonna implement into the Scene:

(rendered with 3ds max)

It's a hell of a work choosing apropriate source textures; changing them; repainting them; uv unwrap the model and then preparing it for WED - but I think it's worh the hard work (It's one object. Even it's a somehow simple model it has 1200 tris - I chamfered all the edges in a reasonable manner to get a better look overall which pushed up the polycount a bit).

Posted By: Poison

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 06:46

AWESOME the scenes look like "ES 4 OBLIVION" !!!

Cheers

Poison Byte
Posted By: Fenriswolf

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 08:35

Those screens are looking good indeed. Nice textures and shader effects!
However the charwoman seems to be way too talented. ;-) - Drop some spooky cobwebs in there!
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 08:39

The models look good and the atmosphere as well.

The whole scene is way too empty and this plastic look is awful, i don't like it at all.

Could become a really good scene with the right shaders..
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 09:08

I like this approach. You improved the lighting as I can see (I was lucky to see some images before this thread). The models look great and normal maps are fine.

Besides that it needs some improvements:
- the carpet is too bumpy and too shiny
- stones should reflect light in some spots but wood should not

You can add some dishes, golden goblets (with much specularity) and interesting windows to cast some interesting shadows. If you do not have pojection shaders for that then a slightly transparent sprite could help to fake light and shadow coming from a window. Some ray of lights can also be faked throug such a sprite.

Regards,
Frank
Posted By: Sam_Be

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 11:53

hi
thease screens are so cool.....the textures ect very cool =)
still i have some questions (i hope u don't mind in sharing some infos )
1. how do u gett thease great shadows?? are the objects models or blocks??
2. what do u do to get a good fps with all shaders + hightpoly mdels ???

regrads sam

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 12:01

@ Sam_Be

1.He get these great shadows with a normalmapping shader,the objects are models.
2.To get a good fps you should never use highpoly models with shaders, just shaders with lowpoly(max.6000 polys) for a good fps rate.

Cheers

Poison Byte
Posted By: Sam_Be

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 12:34

ok thx
em 6000 polys are (for me) hight poly (middelhight) xD lowpoly are up to 3000.
and still iff u have some 6000poly mdels + some 2000 poly model + shaders + shadows i don't think you get more then 10 fps
regrads
sam

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 13:47

Quote:

ok thx
em 6000 polys are (for me) hight poly (middelhight) xD lowpoly are up to 3000.
and still iff u have some 6000poly mdels + some 2000 poly model + shaders + shadows i don't think you get more then 10 fps
regrads
sam

Did you ever play some games like the very old Doom3? Then you know that a gpu can handle meshes with several thousands of polygons plus shaders. Even some animated models used about 4 thousand polies there.

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 13:47

I think with a good harware fe. ATI X1600, 1024 Ram and 2,0 GHz you get a FPS rate of 20 up to 26.

Cheers

Poison Byte

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 14:26

Thanks for all the comments.
Donīt forget that this is WIP. There are going to be quite a lot of models in this scene. We will turn down the specularity, since most of doesnīt seem to like it that much (I do, since I donīt need a game to be realistic, but want to have it good looking with a great atmosphere...).

The Shader is a normalmapping shader, which was once posted by matt_aufderheide with a lot of changes. Because of performance reasons it only supports two lights for now. It uses a glossmap and the specularity strength and its intensity can be changed through the entities behaviorpanel in WED (or through the script).

About the discussion about highpoly and shader:
The characters in many modern computer games are having more than 10000 polies with applied shaders. And the scences are much bigger.
At the moment I think that we will have at least 30 fps in the end on a common computer. But weīll see

Edit:
Friendly_Frank, how is a projectionshader usually used for such lightening things? Iīve got one which works fine but shines through objects. If I want to prevent it, it gets exactly the same as shadowmapping

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 14:52

Quote:

...how is a projectionshader usually used for such lightening things? Iīve got one which works fine but shines through objects. If I want to prevent it, it gets exactly the same as shadowmapping

Yes. Shadowmapping would even be the best solution. There are several approaches as you already know. If they eat too much fps then you can even try one without real-time rendering of the light view. A very cheap solution is to use pre-calculated cubic shadow maps (point lights) or 2d-shadow-maps for spot-light and project them at the geometry. If you move the light-source then you can move the shadowmaps as well and you get semi-dynamic shadowmaps.

The game Riddick did use this and C4-Engine also has something like that. It is fast like crazy and you can fake dynamic shadows with it.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 16:57

good work. it DOES remind of oblivion.
wow!
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 17:51

I find it ridiculous, that this level of graphics has been achieved years ago - without the need of any Shaders.

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 18:01

Thanks guys

Non of the models are exceeding a polycount of 1500 tris so far. This might change with more complex models, but not much.

Just want to mention, we are not trying to push the graphical limits of the whole industry to the most recent level/limit; because this is not the meaning of this project (and would not be possible with 3dgs I think). If the graphics are by far means similiar to Games like Thief 3 or Oblivion, then I am more than happy with it

Bear in mind that this complexity is hard to sustain for a whole 3dgs game - so I doubt that it would be possible bringing this to a "real" game in 3DGS. It's just an experiment. We are not intending to make a whole game out of it.

I lowered the Speculars a lot now, but some objects just need a fair bit of specularity... e.g. the plankroof or the ground (but even them now have just a bit of specularity, so things might look better now). I do like more specularity just like slin does, but if the mayority of people dont like it, then I have to lower it

Posted By: phil3d

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 19:10

hm you spend 1200 polies for a simple chair? i would start over again and if you end up with 200 Polies and the same look you have an acceptable result. Even if you chamfer the edges how do you get such a count?

The carpet on the floor looks really strange. I think it's because the carpet has a really high resolution texture (much details) but in comparison the stone floor has a low resolution.

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 19:21

This Chair isN't this simple (that's the problem). But the models have a bit of extra edges which could be deleted - you're right. I don't want to restrict myself too much to a minimalism regarding to super low poly. All the models will get the complexity they need to get the look I have in mind.

And: Yes... The carpet is too high in resolution and comaprence to the ground. Will look into it.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 19:38

The graphical part is like mentioned, achieved via shaders but I the models itself make the magic happen too
The lighting in this scenery is good enough to create 'the Inn' atmosphere
Curious to see the how this will evole !!

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: phil3d

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 19:42

ok you didn't really get the point. something must be terribly wrong with the model when it has 1200 polies.

the polies should look like that (hope you don't mind that i took your picture)

it should have a polycount around 100-150 i guess.

Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 20:11

Those shots are outstanding, at first i thought it was 3d max renders. Are you doing this project for the Christmas contest?

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 20:20

Phil3D: Many Thanks, and no problem But you missed some chamfered edges (but I understood, and checked back to the model - I can bring the polycount down to 600 I think; without ditorting the shape). All Edges are chamfered to get an overall clean, somehow round look - not the best choise for low polys, but that's the way I want them. Thanks for pointing that out, because I would not have review that model otherwise (but now I will and bring down the count)

The reason for this polycount is this: I am used to model in a clean topology - was forced to during my "tour" through some VFX houses which required skill for clean high polygon models (modeled in low poly, but in quads). The topology restrictions regarding quads are a bit different than tris. I can merge a number of edges within one point... which was a nono in quadpoly modeling (I just didn't see it - so thanks again)

EDIT: correction... there will be around 400 tris. Thanks

LarryLaffer: Thanks And: Christmas Contest? No, it's just for fun and experimenting with 3DGS and low to mit Poly Models and mid to high Resolution Textures
Posted By: Andreas C

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 20:49

Very impressive screenshots, IMHO. Most things have already been said about them, but just one thought regarding the number of polys.

Although it's just an experiment, have you tried working with LOD versions of your models ? I'm just wondering what a tool like Polygon Cruncher would be able to do in terms of reducing polycount (for different LODs).

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 20:53

I have not thought of this yet, but I will get into this as well

We are bringing up the level and see what can be done to improve things
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 21:21

From Aum 68:
Quote:

"A7 looks good" Winter contest

Send us a small demo that's similar to one of the entries in the demo scene contests. Any demo that runs fine with A7 or the latest lite-C (free or full) version is accepted. Well, just put up a small demo (playable or not) that shows A7's power and impresses the audience and the jury.

I'd enter if I were you. What you've made is pretty impressive

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/05/07 22:17

Maybe. Have to ask slin. I am just making the models/textures... without slin this would be impossible for me to do. He is the one who makes the level look good - I am just constructing the geometry/textures
Posted By: MadMark

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/06/07 03:30

VERY nice looking work, but yeah, bring that poly count down a lot.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/06/07 13:30

Quote:

Maybe. Have to ask slin. I am just making the models/textures... without slin this would be impossible for me to do. He is the one who makes the level look good - I am just constructing the geometry/textures

JUST making models/textures...
You have no idea how many people around here are dying to know how to make this kinda stuff but yes, without the shader it would give a totally different feel (not nescesarily bad though).

great job, but it sounds like you can indeed do with less polygons, for example, chamfering everything makes no sense, the engine supports no edge normal data, so all edges get smoothed out anyway, keep that in mind

regards,
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/06/07 18:11

Very nice scene, I actually like the specularity on the walls. It makes it look like cold walls. On the carpet is too much though... Wood can be shiny like that, but I would tone that down a bit too. Still, I like the scene a lot.

Quote:

I find it ridiculous, that this level of graphics has been achieved years ago - without the need of any Shaders.

Yup, I agree. Off course back then shadows and the specularity stuff tended to be static and not dynamic, but basically it just takes a good artist to make something look nice.

Cheers

Re: The Inn -A graphic Experiment (WIP) - 12/06/07 19:47

I chamfered the edges just for the overall appearance. It just looks different if a table got hard rectangular edges or is a bit chamfered just on those edges. It's just my style doing things

new screens - 12/08/07 00:40

all right... I got some new screenshots for you. It's not a mayor update, but I added some new objects and turned down the specularity a lot for most objects (except the metalic ones); the Shading of the scene is more soft and a bit brighter than before:

Tristan

Re: new screens - 12/08/07 09:01

Two more:

I have a lot of fun doing those small things right now (and more than 40 have to be modeled yet) - but I should model some of the furniture to fill this level a bit more. A lot of work still have to be done...

Re: new screens - 12/08/07 09:58

You need a lantern or similar to create a light source.
Posted By: Nems

Re: new screens - 12/08/07 11:53

Cool! youve got a good look now
A small critique here, the stone floor should have less of a 'depth edge' (bump) than currently displayed, almost tile like would be closer to flooring pavements.
Posted By: Loopix

Re: new screens - 12/08/07 12:07

Nice! Have you tried to add some noise to the carpet texture? The carpet still looks like it has metalic inlays...
Posted By: Inestical

Re: new screens - 12/08/07 14:11

It indeed has obilivion-like artwork and ambience. Very good work.

Re: new screens - 12/08/07 18:04

Great update, the look qua models is Oblivion-like but the atmosphere ā la Oblivion isn't yet fully created but like Frank mentioned, some decent lighting will make it look more plausible relative to the theme present in Oblivion

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: new screens - 12/08/07 23:36

Thanks guys

Yeah, besides the candlelight idea I have a special light source in mind (although we do not intend to bring all this to a whole game, I wrote a story around that level which got those special light sources) which will spice things up I think. Will do that too at a later time - concentrating on all the objects which are still missing in that level right now.

Oh and... I am not intending to copy oblivion - I played it a lot, so things look very simliliar, but I do try to bring my own style and other inspirations into that level

I was thinking about those noise patterns as an extra for the walls (so they could get a bit more of specularity without looking like plastic or wet walls, or something... will try that for the carpet; thanks)

Posted By: lostclimate

Re: new screens - 12/09/07 02:04

well a nice specularity map would help.

Re: new screens - 12/09/07 03:14

A little more definition, yes.

Re: new screens - 12/12/07 10:16

All right, next update:

Added some new Objects and altered the overall mood a bit.

Tristan

Textures The Inn - 12/12/07 10:20

And I've forgot... as an extra: A small texture pack regarding the window of "The Inn". It's a custom made texture which I mostly prerendered with 3ds max and composed it with an ornate window frame which I found on a free texture site. Here is a sample image of the contents of this texturepack:

(yellow glasbumps for daytime lighting and blue glasbumps for nighttime lighting... all this have to be tweaked with PS or Gimp to match your needs)

and here the actual texturepack:
http://www.tnovelist-ent.com/Images/TheInn/glasbumps.rar

I hope you find this useful

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/12/07 12:10

Thatīs Awesome it looks more and more like Oblivion.
Want to play a DEMO...

Cheers

Poison Byte

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/12/07 14:41

I gave parallax mapping for the floor a try. There are some problems and Iīve choosen a bit to high values to show the effect better. But I thought that you would probably like to see it:

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/12/07 14:51

yeah looks cool as I already told you We still have to enhance apropriate dispmaps to get that to work properly

As for a playable demo: A Demo will be released when the level has been filled with all the desired objects and considered as "finished" by slin & me - which could take some time. Can't tell when it's finished because we are doing this in our sparetime... but it won't take too long I think
Posted By: vartan_s

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/12/07 14:56

As I've already told Slin, this is one of the best things I've seen done with 3dgs, especially shaderwise. Just lower the values on the parallax as you said Slin. Subtle is fine for the actual thing.

Btw, sry offtopic but Tristan I sent you a pm didnt you get it?

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/12/07 15:19

Yeah I got it, but please write me another PM with your questions/statements; it's the easiest way for me to handle, thanks... I am not using MSN, ICQ a.s.o. cause those does'nt work properly on my comp.

as for the parallax mapping: I am painting/modelling a Displacement map with ZBrush... we gonna see what the outcome will be
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/12/07 15:26

Why are the objects shadowing themselves but do no drop any shadow on the wall/floor?

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/12/07 15:30

Because the Shadows are deactivated at the moment. We are still deciding what kind of shadows we want to implement... stencil shadows are good for a first glance, but dynamic shadows would be more cool - we gonna make this decision at a later time.

And: The Models are technically not shadowing themselfs... thats shading.

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/14/07 18:58

Looks nice
Btw, are you planning to add an occlusion parameter ??
Doing it via flat or smooth shading will work too but Oblivion isn't Oblivion without parallax occlusion mapping ^^

Thanks in progress

Frazzle
Posted By: bupaje

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/14/07 21:13

Nice work on this so far. Continued improvement as you've gone on.

Other people have mentioned the few areas to tweak with glossiness and so on so I won't, except to say with art sometimes less is more. There is a tendency to exaggerate cool effects like bump and shiny surfaces, but you have to fight that impulse and look at the overall composition as those aberrations sometimes stick out like a sore thumb.

Look forward to seeing more.

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/15/07 09:49

Yeah thanks for the suggestions (and slin is playing around with occlusion at the moment; we'll see if we can implement that too) - but we don't want to copy oblivion - in fact I am using a lot more than just oblivion as a reference. In my eyes this design has a lot more from Thief3 than from Oblivion - even though it got some round eddges which are typically of oblivion artwork. But nevertheless, it's an "Inn" from a world I call "The Realm" - which differs a lot from the storys of oblivion, thief or any other game out there.

And for the bumpiness/glossiness: Everything will get a fair bit of both regarding to our taste of things - there is no overall good way to do this, because anyone out there has their special tastes about that. So we have to decide what we would like it to be (and hope others will like that too)

Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/15/07 11:24

It looks very good so far, but without shadows you can't give the right flare to the scenery. So think about using a good shadowsystem, like dynamic softshadows (if you're able to program them) or use the built-in static shadow system (don't know if this looks good with oll these shaders).

Dark_Samurai

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/15/07 18:53

Can't wait to see parallax mapping combined with occlusion, it's actually a smart way the produce simple shadows

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/15/07 23:43

I had some heavy performence problems with parallax occlusion mapping and am now using relief mapping instead.

The normalmapping shader supports 3 lights in one pass with pixelshadermodel 2.a and has fallback to the same Shader splitted into two passes with pixelshadermodel 2.0.
The relief mapping shader supports 3 lights as well with pixelshadermodel 2.a and has fallback to parallax mapping splitted into two passes with pixelshadermodel 2.0.
Both shaders have also fallback to FFP Bumpmapping, which looks quite okay and to the normal 3DGS rendering (empty technique).
For both shaders, it is taken care of the models ambient value. A glossmap is used and the height, overall glossstrength and gloss intensity can be adjusted per model within WED.

Iīm now playing around some more with shadowmapping and hope to get something usefull done for this level.
Btw, at the moment the level runs with ca 90fps on my system

We donīt have a good displacementmap at the moment, but this it what the relief mapping looks like with the one Crazy Bump created for me, wich is because of that far away from perfect:

Slin
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/15/07 23:51

Looks impressing!
Reduce the contrast of the displacement map to get a less exaggerated height of the bumps.

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/16/07 02:29

btw, i like the look of the relief mapping much more than the paralax one. the reliefmapping gives much more shape

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/16/07 07:34

Yeah looks really cool as I already told you

The Displacement Mapping of this Ground Texture is somehow complex to paint, because it is not correctly defined by programs like Crazy Bump or Photoshop. So I have to paint an Ultra High Polygon Model with ZBrush, to get an accurat Displacement Map out of it (which could take some time to complete). Nevertheless... it's worth the hard work
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/16/07 09:54

right now it looks as though the carpet is hovering above the ground... maybe you should apply that relief to the carpert as well? the same one that you're applying to the floor? even when you reduce the effect... ? just an idea...
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/16/07 10:25

*rofl*
The stones look like a rough mountainside!

@Germanunkol
I think the reason why the carpet looks like it is hovering is in the Stone surface:
Our eye recognizes a rough surface and a total flat carpet above, thus the brain concludes the carpet has to be at least as high as the highest stone part the eye sees, otherwise the stone had to pass the carpet which is not the case.

I think that'll be not so bad when the heightmap is more realistic.

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/16/07 10:44

thanks for the comments.

As slin and me just said, the displacement map of the ground texture will be done accurately - with ZBrush. It's the best way to do this in the most accurate way. Actually the relief will be used for just a bit more realism of... well... relief, ya know?

As for the carpet: A shadow would help. All this will be done at a later time, because we are still checking and testing things out... nothing what you are see here is final - so please be patient with us

greetings
Tristan

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/16/07 12:17

A very small update:

Someone in here asked for a candlelight (I don't remember who had asked for)?

The Candle has been rendered with Subsurfacescattering in 3ds max - then texture baked (render to texture) and then I have used the Ambient Value + Specular to get this fake SSS Shading within our Level. I am quiet satisfied with the result
Posted By: aztec

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/16/07 13:29

you can be satisfied great work

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/16/07 19:21

About the relief mapping, it's an alternative to parallax but it seems like it 'eyes' more accurate and you can even add an occlusion term
too

About the candle, the lighting effect that it produces is good but I think once you manage to add shadows, it will look way better

You both are working hard on this, which I can judge from the result so keep up that pace, it will result in an even better scene

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/16/07 21:42

Today I investes some time into variance shadow mapping. There are still some things missing which are needed until we include it into the Project but this is what Iīve got so far (the house is hovering in the air...;)):

Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/18/07 03:35

Looks good...

I wish I could pitch in on the shaders, but I don't have the time, nor the PC to work with them

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/18/07 11:33

Variance shadow mapping, well actually it's shadow volumes here. This technique is more plausible qua look like the picture you posted proves but the disadvantage for shadow volumes is that performance problems occur when adding shadow volumes to very high tesselated models. Tesselation is what you need here with shadow volumes since you need to accurately calcutate the object's silhouette. The images looks good so far but I wonder which technique you used to set it up via shader, just curious

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Textures The Inn - 12/18/07 15:42

Believe me, it is vsm
I implemented it into my old shadowmapping code, reading the nvidia paper about vsm

The Inn - new Objects - 12/21/07 01:37

Hi,

things get a bit slow toward hollidays... but here are some new objects to examine:

(GOLD!)

(Walldeco)

(The Insignia of "The City of Valendor" - as I might mentioned before, there is a whole story around that level - even it's not meant to become a full game wherein this city would be showed, it will be mentioned within some books which will be placed in this level)

(A Sword)

(Closer look)

Yes, the tex resolution is too low in some places... sooo many things we have to correct; tweak and change

The Walldeco Shield is the first object which I modelled exclusivly with ZBrush to get all the details I wanted... this was necessary, because plane texture paintings/samplings could not do the job. I try to avoid using ZBrush, because it's very time consuming constructing complex non-organic structures within ZBrush (at least for me) and most of the normal mapped details can be achieved with programs like crazybump or the NVidia Plugin for Photoshop (benefit is, of course: It's pretty fast and accurat - but it wasn't for this shield). However, I hope you like this small update

That's it for now

Tristan

Posted By: lostclimate

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 12/21/07 01:50

looks nice, the only issue I have is that the blade doesnt look sharp, infact it looks like there is a lip on the blade :/ ????

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 12/21/07 01:55

It has sharp Edge joints; 'though that's not visible in here - I pulled down the ambient to get this fake metal-like feeling of the blade - which pushed the shading of that sword into an extreme value. There is a seam around this sharp blade edge, which actually increases the sharp look... not a good perspective to show it with those images (sorry)
Posted By: ulf

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 12/21/07 08:16

the gold looks just like christmascookies as it appears to be bellied, maybe thats just the shadow or baked in light of the model?
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 12/21/07 19:20

...quick tip. Since shader lighting interpolates the normals of the vertices, the edge will be lit as if it were round...

To get around this, unweld the edges of surfaces you want to be flat. Unless of course the whole object should be flat shaded, in which you can just use the shadeMode = flat; flag.

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 12/21/07 19:52

i am really curious.. it will look absolutely great when you get shadows into it...

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 12/22/07 01:45

Thanks for all the comments. I try to implement the shadows soon, but today I played around with physics in an old version of our level.
The values arenīt very good adjusted but at least I got newton to work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKAcyX6c8UE
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 12/22/07 07:48

Nice
But it looks like moon-gravity or something like this...

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 12/22/07 10:21

Quote:

Nice
But it looks like moon-gravity or something like this...

That seems to happen with a low fps (which fraps causes) it looks much better on my computer without thaking a clip
But I will have to take a look into it.

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 12/22/07 10:38

The gravity looks good if we ignore the low fps caused by fraps
Keep up the good work

Cheers

Frazzle

The Inn - Books - 12/30/07 01:32

Tristan3D seems to have much fun writing the books Because of that I started to create the scripts for them. This is how it turned out so far (I created the bookmodel which will be replaced very soon ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCY2geiJ-jA

There are still some things which will be changed but I am quite happy with the results

Re: The Inn - Books - 12/30/07 10:46

The animation itself looks good but the book definitly needs to be changed ^^
No, meshing around with ya Slin, it looks oke

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: alleen

Re: The Inn - Books - 01/05/08 11:36

the wood textures are like candy for my eyes ^^

The Inn - new Objects - 04/30/08 01:50

Hi,

a long time went by and things advancing very slow (because of "time managment"; had a lot of work the last months), but here are some new screenshots of "THE INN" with some new Objects:

So, Slin & me are still working on it - even it's a very slow progress. ;\)

Things that have changed are not this obvious; some smoothing groups of the models have been corrected; a pair of new chairs for the main dining room and the studded/ornamented door mainly visible in those screenshots above.

hope you like this little update \:\) ;\)

Greetings
Tristan

Edit: We've continued the WIP Updates to the gallery now. \:\)

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 05/01/08 18:46

Still looking pretty damn fine ;\) ;\)
Keep up the nice work although I personally think that the texture size of the metal work on the door is too big compared to the rest of the scene ^^

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: rincewind

Re: The Inn - new Objects - 05/03/08 06:18

Yes, it is becoming better all the time. I wonder how will turn out when it is finished.

BTW. I remember the Nickname "Slin" from somewhere.. could it be that you have read the "Dwarf" books by Markus Heitz?

Cheers
Rince
© 2024 lite-C Forums