Unlimited Ragdolls v.3

Posted By: Helghast

Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 18:34

it's this time of year again, i finally have taken the time to finish up my ragdoll script as good as possible...

now, before an confusion starts, this isn't the source-code release yet!
I'm throwing at you a final demo, i am in the state of converting this to lite-c and after that it is gonna be made available for free to everyone! (hurray, finally).

for those that cant wait any longer, have fun with the brand new demo (and ugly test level compiled for this... completely made out of a single model ).

Download Ragdoll_full_demo.rar from this link

I hope you have as much fun playing as i had developing and testing!

known issues:
- ragdoll bone update function seems ro randomly flip around (gimbal lock maybe?)
- *note, this is no issue, just a reminder* when spawning more then 5 ragdolls, the first one is removed, though the actor still remains on the world (passable), this may make it seem to fly mid-air!
- arms rotate in a strange way sometimes, i didnt really setup the arm hinges correct, will be fixed in final UC!

from here, all i can say, LEAVE FEEDBACK and let me know what to improve

regards,
Posted By: ulf

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 18:59

hey, nice work really! i noticed problems when ragdolls lay at the ground after falling down, they don't lay there... but they just seem to twitch around very fast. it looks very strage. i guess this is an ode issue? can this be fixed? otherwise its looking very unrealistic. the falling down part of the script seem to have the same problems but not so noticable anyway.
very nice work, if you improve it it's gonna be fantastic!
Posted By: flits

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 19:34

looks a litle bit of horror

but i like it
Posted By: ello

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 20:07

generally i like it, but it would be cooler for your demo if the spawning wouldnt take part inside the walls.

i am very curious on how it's usability
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 20:12

hm that what i could see is good, but could you plz make it so, that it spawns some quants in front of you instead _IN_ the wall in front of you?^^
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 20:27

Quote:

now, before an confusion starts, this isn't the source-code release yet!
I'm throwing at you a final demo, i am in the state of converting this to lite-c and after that it is gonna be made available for free to everyone! (hurray, finally).

Will you release the source-code of the version in c-script, too? I don't use lite-c at the moment.

Maybe, others get ideas how to solve the issues, when they can have a look at the code. Maybe, someone will find a way to rebuild it with Newton's physic?

All in all, it looks good and usable for instance in a fps, IMO!

It is like always with special effects, one shouldn't show it too long, only a few seconds, then switch it off! When the model found its position, the physics should be removed and the model set to passable.
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 20:27

Really cool and great work!
I have also experimented with the physic engine and I know that scripting dead bodies must be a hard part.
But ello is so damn right. Even if it is "just" demo - just complete it with a few room traces and place the doll not in walls. Respect!
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 20:32

Quote:

Will you release the source-code of the version in c-script, too? I don't use lite-c at the moment.

I'd love an updated c-script version too, if only so I can see what you did to fix the old problem.

Cheers

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 21:25

I think the twitching/flipping around appeared with the second demo wich you posted in your last ragdoll thread!
The difference between the first demo and the second seems to be the moree complex shapes of the body parts. They should probably be as simple and rectangled as possible!

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 21:41

yes, i forgot to explain XD

i use Joozey's script to spawn an entity at the position you click, this means if it's inside a wall, your screwed
it was just a simple hack, and in no way is ment to be used in any final game like this!

also, the problem with the twitching isnt about the complexity of a model, i could even use paper plane models there
it's just an issue with the bones rotating script, i think it's an error in the engine (or maybe even gimbal lock, i am gonna mail JCL about this).

and ofcourse there will be a c-script version, but ALSO a lite-c version

anyway, thanks so far for the feedback, keep em comin!

regards,
Posted By: cartoon_baboon

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 21:45

Well most of the problems with the demo and the code have been pointed out already - I just wanted to say that it looks pretty neat! Watching the guys slide down the stairs is especially amusing with their heads going bouncety bounce

This will definitely add to the experience of a fps or other action game.
Posted By: Nems

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 22:25

Really cool, having a lot of fun with this
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/12/08 23:32

To help avoid spawning in walls, all you have to do is make sure you're looking downward, and click on a horiziontal surface.

As long as you're aiming at a floor of a step, (and with enough space away from a wall) youll be fine

- Jason
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/13/08 04:54

as far as the stopping that ragdolls from having any physics when there is more than one, you could just constantly check collisions, and only do the physics if there is a collision of some sort, it would also save some cpu usage for when physics aren't needed.

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/13/08 07:54

Quote:

as far as the stopping that ragdolls from having any physics when there is more than one, you could just constantly check collisions, and only do the physics if there is a collision of some sort, it would also save some cpu usage for when physics aren't needed.

Yes, this was the idea at the beginning to build in, but because i wanted this to come out ASAP, i decided to ditch that.
however when thinking about it, it's rather easy to implement, and due to the high amount of requests on that, i might just before the final release this weekend whack it in.

regards,
Posted By: Havoc22

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/22/08 06:36

Will we be seeing this this weekend?

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/22/08 08:18

Quote:

Will we be seeing this this weekend?

ghehehehee, conversion takes longer then expected XD i really suck at lite-c.
yes, c-script will be released this weekend, lite-c has to wait a little longer (maybe others will even finish it before i do, lol).

sorry about the delay, have been sick for a couple days XD

regards,

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/22/08 21:00

Woohoo! I haven't upgraded to a7 yet, so I'm just looking forward to the c-script version myself. I hope you've been feeling better by the way.
Posted By: Trooper119

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/22/08 21:59

Really looks professional very nice job. The only thing I noticed that may want to rethink is that instead of stopping the physics of a unit after so many spawns, instead you might want to measure the movement of the model, and if it doesn't move much in x amount of time, then you can cease the model, especially considering if a model is still using physics and the only thing moving is his head going back and forth while he lays on the ground, there isn't any real point to it.

Quite frankly this is just a minor point compared to what you have done AMAZING job. Keep it up.
Posted By: hack-panther

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/22/08 23:45

That`s cool...

I love it... Great work...
Posted By: Quad

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/26/08 22:18

i tried with a diffrent model, it seems ok. (there are some sort of strange things cuz i didnt edited the bodypart models to match the model i used, i just renamed the bones of the model and replaced eith test_ragdoll.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F38ExRy1nEM

Great job cant wait to see it in lite-c.

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/27/08 08:15

Quote:

i tried with a diffrent model, it seems ok. (there are some sort of strange things cuz i didnt edited the bodypart models to match the model i used, i just renamed the bones of the model and replaced eith test_ragdoll.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F38ExRy1nEM

Great job cant wait to see it in lite-c.

:O:O:O

how awesome is that, i am even surprised by the looks of it, i think it's awesome, hahaa!
might wanna share your alyx model with us? i think that would 100% be a better test model then what i have currently:P

sorry about the delay on uploading, i am so bad at lite-c XD i havent ever ever ever touched it yet, so i still need to learn a lot.

dont worry, the "unlimited TUSCdolls" will show up ASAP!

regards,

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/27/08 09:53

I don't even know how to respond lol

Anyway, we're all looking forward to it!
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/27/08 10:09

Hi buddy, just a question...

How far are you with you experiments?
Could you regular script a model with "normal" Code (running, shooting...) and switch it then to the rag doll?
Or is this stage till now only the rag doll experiment?
Thanks in advance

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/27/08 11:05

Quote:

:O:O:O
how awesome is that, i am even surprised by the looks of it, i think it's awesome, hahaa!
might wanna share your alyx model with us? i think that would 100% be a better test model then what i have currently:P

sorry about the delay on uploading, i am so bad at lite-c XD i havent ever ever ever touched it yet, so i still need to learn a lot.

dont worry, the "unlimited TUSCdolls" will show up ASAP!

regards,

ermm, i didnt modelled that alyx, i extracted it from hl2 and im not sure if sharing is legal.

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/27/08 11:21

Quote:

Skip the Lite-C conversion, there are probably others, who convert it in a few hours!
Posted By: Sandaras

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 02/27/08 16:46

wau super

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 03/06/08 13:15

currently croman is helping me update it to lite-c, dont know how he's doing currently, and how far he came, but it's getting there!

all im afreaid of now i people that dont know programming are gonna screw the system up... we'll see by then.

regards,

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 03/06/08 13:33

Post the link with a "no support granted. Please, use your own head, or ask others, I did my work, the rest of trouble is yours! "

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 03/06/08 15:59

Quote:

Post the link with a "no support granted. Please, use your own head, or ask others, I did my work, the rest of trouble is yours! "

that too, but i do include a small screenshot sample on how i did it
(almost done with that dont worry).

regards,

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 03/08/08 20:36

You should just released it and let people give it a shot anyways, If they mess it up they can always have a copy saved that isn't messed up. Then they can keep messing around with it until they either figure it out, or give up. Until someone wants to take the time to write up a little tutorial on how to use it, because I'm sure it'll be useful for many users here, so someone is bound to get around to it.

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 03/12/08 02:44

Where's the TUSC dolls? Where-oh-where?

Just Kidding.. I Know Dennis is busy with studies and such.

But he knows to expect me to be an ass

Now he'll tell me to go away and work on my balls.... (Don't ask what he means by that)

- Jason

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 03/29/08 05:09

Is this still close to being finished?

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 03/29/08 08:25

[censored] that lite-c conversion [censored]! i cant get it to work, and croman never got back to me on this... i'll upload what i got so far (lite-c AND c-script), others can wank off on that and convert it for me

however... my double-d-studios.com website is gonna be down soon, so i have to use megaupload or something... any suggestions?

*goes and zip all things*

regards,

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 03/29/08 08:39

Quote:

[censored] that lite-c conversion [censored]! i cant get it to work, and croman never got back to me on this... i'll upload what i got so far (lite-c AND c-script), others can wank off on that and convert it for me

however... my double-d-studios.com website is gonna be down soon, so i have to use megaupload or something... any suggestions?

*goes and zip all things*

regards,

maybe i can mirror it ?
Posted By: bstudio

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 03/29/08 14:46

hey dennis, I can mirror it for you, just send me a message over msn or something

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 04/18/08 18:55

Anything new from the ragdoll front? ;\)

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/06/08 03:05

Yeah whatever happened with this? it was really exciting to see.

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/06/08 07:11

OOPS!!

uhmm.. yeah XD i guess i kinda forgot...
good news though, this weekend i finally had a breakthrough in converting code to lite-c (updated A6 car physics to A7).
i should be able to do this for my ragdoll too then, i'll let you know, but if you really cant wait, PM me with your email, i'll send the stuff (A6 stuff) tonight when i get home then...

im sorry about this XD but i ahve been so busy... just wait till wednesday, you'll see in the worldpress why ;\)

kind regards,

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/06/08 15:40

yaaaay, i was waiting for this.

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/09/08 04:44

I must say thanks a million times! This is great, I just started playing with it and I've found it pretty easy to implement into my game. This is probably the best contribution ever. \:\) Again thanks a million.

Oh also I didn't find the code that messy, all the comments are a great help. Awesome job man! This was well worth the wait.

Here's a little screen of a personal project of mine, since I'm a little fan of the Halloween movies. ;\) Not exactly the best models, or level design but just showing I got them working in my own project, but at 1/3 of the size of the original model. Just had to scale the model, re-situate the bones a bit, and scale down and reset the positioning of the dummy models for the ragdoll and started spawning them all over the level and they reacted pretty good, even got to had an npc on a path and he pushed that sucker right out of the way. \:\) It was fun to see in a 3dgamestudio project.

I thought it was going to be pretty hard to implement but it was a piece of cake after a few minutes. I almost have my other character models set up so this is great!

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/09/08 09:14

that looks awesome \:D it makes me really proud to see people implement this stuff \:D

question though, how bad is the FPS impact with all these things on screen ?

regards,
Posted By: Darkyyes

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/09/08 09:58

Damn you havoc, you made me want to start playing the alone in the dark games again ;D

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/09/08 21:15

Ok people, i FINALLY released this stuff!

I know the A7 code can be optimised LOADS, but i'll leave that to all of you guys :P the ragdoll update actor doesnt work either.. again community help needed there :P

A6 version works good though ^_^ (as proven by different users here)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NGQEPHWF

Have a lot of fun! i know i did :P credits are welcome, show me people what you can do with this, make me proud! \:D

kind regards,
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/11/08 10:59

Yes, you FINALLY released it ^^
Thanks again for your effort Dennis, this could be very useful for me ;\) ;\)

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Stubbsy

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/25/08 02:02

brilliant! thank's alot
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/25/08 08:54

Hi there,

I evaluated it today and I think you have still lots of work to do to make it production stable.

This is from the C-Script version. Works somehow. The rotation of the limbs is very chopped. You should add a smooth rotation/movement. Plus, my ragdoll ended like in the picture above. I thought you added an angle threshold for joints? In this situation the arms were "flickering" as well (rotating wildly).

This picture is from the lite-C version. It seems that it is totally wrecked. First, we see the physics-mesh and second, the boned entity isn't aligned properly.

Cheers,
- Christian

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/25/08 18:55

yep, the lite-c version was uploaded as is (with the horrible actor update in it), that was stated with the download wink
The c-script version, i have NO idea why this occurs.. i tried several (million :P) times, but never got a solid fix for that..

again, as stated on the download, i didnt wanna wait any longer, it has been delayed for ages now... I was hoping other users could expand on this, and update any glitches/bugs in the script.

regards,
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/25/08 21:18

under which license has you released this?

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/25/08 21:25

do-wathever-you-want,but-give-credits license.

annd he wants that if you fix some bugs, update it and share.

There is a little explanation in the source files. Better check yourself.

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 05/26/08 15:08

indeed, basically you can do whatever you want with it, but credits are nice.
If you fix a bug, help us all out, and update it for me, that way it's updated for all of us ^_^

thanks,
Posted By: MDMDFSS

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 07/13/08 16:41

Thats amasing!!!!!!
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: Unlimited Ragdolls v.3 - 07/14/08 23:16

yeah it'd be great if someone did update ragdolls for lite c and weed out some of the bugs
© 2024 lite-C Forums