Shaders!!!

Posted By: Slin

Shaders!!! - 04/07/08 19:31

I am currently developing a little (okay maybe not THAT little) shaderpack in Lite-C (+HLSL and some fixed function stuff).
The goal is to have a flexible, easy to implement, extendable collection of shades where you don´t have to implement all or none but can also choose the ones you want to use for your project.
To realise that, each shader becomes its own .c file containing the material with the shadercode, a fallback version if I consider it usefull (otherwise just no shader) and a function to add the effect to an entity through passing the pointer and the effectparameters. The only file you need for each effect is a helper script containing some functions to keep the other files cleaner. I created two helperfiles and two header files, one for Objectshaders and one for Postprocessingshaders (they are all without a special fallback) where you can keep track on the included shaders. In some cases there is also a Tool file including a function for for example creating a shadowmap for the terrain (not yet done). Some of the postprocessingeffects also need you to call a special function after changing the screenresolution to make everything fit again.

The Objectshaders I´ve got so far are:
- Per pixel lighting (PS 2.0) for the Sun
- Normal mapping (PS 2.0) for the Sun
- Multitexture terrain (PS 2.0) with per pixel lighting for the Sun using a blendmap, a shadowmap and up to 4 Textures and with ffp fallback to texture with Detailmap and Shadowmap
- Watershader with reflection and refraction (PS 2.0) and ffp fallback with transparency and reflection and also including a tool file to generate a blendmap for the seethrough values (not for the fallback version)
- A simple waterfall (ffp)

The Postprocessingeffects are (all PS 2.0):
- Bloom
- DoF
- Stencilshadow blur
- Heat haze (still wip)
- Anaglyph stereo effect (still needs the possibility to be used together with the other postprocessingeffects)
- Raindrops
- Blood (similar to the raindropseffect)
- Old movie

Things I still want to do:
- Finish the wip effects
- Add more lights to the shaders
- Support for a lightmap with second UV-set
- Create different versions of the shaders for different ligtsituations (indoor/outdoor)
- Relief mapping
- Parallax mapping
- Environment mapping
- Cartoon shader (both, postprocessing and objectshader)
- Radial blur
- Blur
- Colorfilter (you´ll have to pass a colortransformationmatrix to the shader)
- An editor to apply those shaders in realtime to the objects, to add postprocessing to the scene and to adjust the values
- Documentation

I am still not sure what to do with this pack when it is done, but I would like you to propose some more things I could implement.

Thanks for your attention :P
Slin

Some early screenshots:

Posted By: Quad

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/07/08 19:43

you already know, the whole forum loves you \:\)
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/07/08 19:59

I like th spider :]
and the blood.
You are doing well as always...
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/07/08 20:13

I requested the blood for Razor ;\)

Keep it up! It will make it beautiful!!!
Posted By: Gumby22don

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/07/08 21:51

Is it possible to have a FPS impact rating generated from each shader? Such that we could make a scene, and run through a 5 second test of each shader with a output of the fps achieved, and percentage slowdown that translates to.

Also, is it easy to add custom shaders in the same format if we're using say 5 of yours, and want to add one specifically for ours, but keep the same organisation setup?

Don
have a great day

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/07/08 22:55

As HeelX wrote, he requested the blood ;\)
You can have up to ten splashes at the same time with if you want different textures, which can also be changed at realtime if you want. It is the same with their scale, transparency and position :P

Originally Posted By: Gumby22don
Is it possible to have a FPS impact rating generated from each shader? Such that we could make a scene, and run through a 5 second test of each shader with a output of the fps achieved, and percentage slowdown that translates to.

A problem is, that the shaders are very different and will surely have very different impact on the framerate. The impact also depends on the overall framrate. At least it would be a lot of extrawork I don´t want to do at the moment for that.

Originally Posted By: Gumby22don
Also, is it easy to add custom shaders in the same format if we're using say 5 of yours, and want to add one specifically for ours, but keep the same organisation setup?

It takes a few minutes, but sure it is easily possible. But if there is a shader I forget which you consider to be usefull, please tell me and I´ll try to add it. My goal is to have a customizable collection of all well working and usefll shaders there are. I most probably forgot something on my list.

Thanks for the nice comments ;\)
Posted By: Nems

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 00:35

Could the blood one be used to add impact splash effects to surfaces?
Im thinking here of explosions.
I like the ripple one as Im thinking it could make for a great cloaking effect.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 07:47

Great work, Slin! \:\)
Posted By: Darkyyes

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 10:59

Have to ask :p the reflection in the water shader
could it be used for glass as well? :p
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 12:07

Sorry, i don't know how to translate that:
Slin, ich will ein Kind von Dir! ;\)

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 14:17

Originally Posted By: Nems

Could the blood one be used to add impact splash effects to surfaces?
Im thinking here of explosions.

It is currently a postprocessingshader and thus shouldn´t be used on models as it is now. But if you try to describe in more detail what you mean, I could try to realise it.

Originally Posted By: Darkyyes

Have to ask :p the reflection in the water shader
could it be used for glass as well? :p

The shader could, but not the view placement. Other than that, I wouldn´t use realtimereflections for glass. But I will try to add an refraction and a glasshader as well.

But just to let you know, I think about selling this package if everything turns out as I want it to.
Posted By: William

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 16:44

Perhaps a good ice and snow shader too. But all looks great so far. \:\)
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 18:46

You just can't stop can you Slin ;\) ;\)
Anyway, looking forward to get my hands on these effects \:\) \:\)

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Gordon_Shumway

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 18:47

Hey Slin, good work !!!

If I have some shader questions, I know where to ask first !!!

@Uhrwerk: Ich denke soetwas geht erst ab PS 7.0 ;\)
 Originally Posted By: Uhrwerk
Sorry, i don't know how to translate that:
Slin, ich will ein Kind von Dir! ;\)

Posted By: BoH_Havoc

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 19:07

Nice work!

It seems to me that blurring the stencil map didn't result in the usual halo-effect around models which is a nice thing. So i guess you are doing some calculations with the depthmap to get rid of this?
I can't really tell from the pics as they are quite small but it looks that way \:\)

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 19:36

Quote:
Perhaps a good ice and snow shader too.

I am not yet sure how to realize that. Shure, it should reflect a little bit but that is just a very basic environmentmapping/reflection shader) but if I consider that not good enough, I will give something more a try later on.

Quote:

It seems to me that blurring the stencil map didn't result in the usual halo-effect around models which is a nice thing. So i guess you are doing some calculations with the depthmap to get rid of this?

There is one, but it isn´t really visible if the blur is not too much. And I make the blur depthdependant so that shadows further away aren´t blurred more then shadows directly in front of the view (though I am still not very happy with it-.- But at least this should work somehow ;\) - and it already does a bit).

I just added two more shaders:
-Blur

-Radial Blur

I´ll now create a shader for simple colormanipulation and am then done with the postprocessingeffects I planed so far...
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/08/08 23:15

The radial zoom blur is very very nice. Great work. \:\)

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/09/08 14:53

well slin :p if you were not to charge money for this pack I would have fainted xD I rather expect people to charge for something like this especially quality wise \:D

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/12/08 23:55

In the last days I created an outdoor and an indoor version for the per pixel lighting and the normalmapping shader, added lights to the terrain shader, included a color transformation shader and implemented a script to generate a static shadow map for the terrain.

Here is a screenshot of those shadows:

Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/13/08 01:32

wait, are those realtime lightmapping?

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/14/08 18:46

Nope, those are static ;\)
I tried to get the normalmapping working for levelgeometry this is what I came up with (besides many problems with A7...):

This is the version for flat textures but there is also one for shaded ones including the lightmap.
The biggest problem at the moment with this is, that due to an engine bug the tangent isn´t set.
The alpha channel of the normalmap is used for specularity but currently there isn´t one for this normalmap :P.

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/15/08 06:07

How is the Heat haze shader coming along? \:\)

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/15/08 13:38

Originally Posted By: Darkyyes
How is the Heat haze shader coming along? \:\)

It works well, what else should be with it :P
I did not show any screenshot of it because you won´t really see it and if so then not as very well looking... But it looks very nice in motion \:\)
Posted By: Poison

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/15/08 16:21

Want to see it in motion^^. ;\)
What about a Demo? pls. \:D

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/15/08 21:55

Originally Posted By: Poison
Want to see it in motion^^. ;\)
What about a Demo? pls. \:D

Maybe at the next weekend.
I am currently building a better testlevel to test the already done shaders and came up with a big problem:
The sky is heavily disorted by the heat haze effect and blurred through the DoF. After trying around with this the whole day. I now probably got an idea on how to solve that and will hopefully get it done tomorrow.
In this new level the water can be seen much better, so it is still not more than a terrain and a building :P :

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/15/08 22:54

oh you see I were just wondering because
- Heat haze (still wip)
still stands :p

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/16/08 22:07

Right, but I already fixed the problems a cuple of days ago ;\)
But I still have the mentioned problems with the sky-.- It looks okay for the DoF now but really bad for the heat haze...
Because of that here is a screenshot without those two things but with fog instead:

There was a mistake for the fog in the normalmappingshader I now fixed.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/17/08 07:20

Honestly, who needs a heat haze 'in the sky'! ;\)
Actually, a heat haze is above a flame of a fire place or a torch,
or on day times, close above the street.
The heat in a desert has to be achieved by a different trick then!

The picture looks nice and atmospheric! \:\)
Posted By: jigalypuff

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/17/08 14:55

slin do you have a lightmap shader? i asked in shaders but you seem to be working on quite a few and hoped you`d have one.
this is the thread i asked in.
http://www.coniserver.net/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=202855#Post202855

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/19/08 00:02

I fixed some problems with the "lightmapper" and just wanted to show off two new screenshots of this level (running with ca 80fps):

Posted By: Nems

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/19/08 01:28

That looks really cool, both the shadows and the haze.

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/19/08 07:33

80 fps? On both views? Wow! Wonderful! Marvelous!

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/19/08 12:44

The last shots look a lot better now without so much white bloom, excellent job!

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/20/08 13:14

Excellent job indeed \:\) \:\) !!

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/21/08 21:30

The fps got less now, but the level also got some more details.
I just finished the object based heat haze shader:

It looks quite bad on the screenshot but I like it a lot when it is moving \:\)
My level is done so far. I just have to create simple interface for the postprocessing effects and I am hopefully done with a first demo.

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/21/08 22:35

The heat haze looks quite good already, but it's not blurry enough. The ripples are too sharp, or at least it looks like that. Don't know if it looks better in realtime. \:\) Good job though.
Posted By: DoC

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/22/08 13:52

Och Slin hör auf so coole sachen zu machen da wird man ja ganz hibbelig
ach quark! WEITER SO ;\)

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/22/08 18:51

I'm quite confident as well that it will look better in game as taking a decent screenie of a haze/blur effect isn't that easy ;\) ;\)
Looks good though \:\) \:\)

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/23/08 20:00

Okay guys here is a first Demoversion:
http://files.filefront.com/DemoLevel+V05rar/;10064920;/fileinfo.html

The terrain fallback has no good textures assigned and will look quite strange because of that. But it is only active on systems without shadersupport.
Everything else should work as expected.

I hope you like it so far \:\)

Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/23/08 20:11

Sry, kann nicht so gut Englisch, weswegen ich das jetzt auf deutsch schreibe.
Sieht soweit extrem gut aus, nur zwei Dinge sind mir aufgefallen.
1:
Das sieht in Bewegung ziemlich komisch aus und wenn ich F1 Drücke verschwimmt das komplett. Ähnlich als ob man aus einem level rausguckt und das so nette Schlieren zieht.
2. Das Wasser spiegelt ein bisschen komisch. Irgendwie sieht das nicht sonderlich realistisch aus.
Trotzdem: Sehr gute arbeit. Gefällt mir schon echt gut.

Ps: Happy Birthday

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/23/08 20:25

Okay das es noch Probleme gibt war ja irgendwie klar..., könntest du noch posten, was für eine Grafikkarte du nutzt?

If someone else finds some problems, please tell me and also post some information about your system, mainly the graphicscard.
Thanks \:\)
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/23/08 20:28

ATI Radeon HD2600 pro, aktuelle Treiber und ich nutze XP mit Service Pack 2. Hoffe du kriegst die Probleme in den griff, sieht einfach hammergeil aus (trotz fehler).

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 10:49

Geforcee 8800GT 1024mb

Posted By: Samb

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 11:09

ati radeon x800 GTO²

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 11:58

It looks as if there are some problems with rendertargets on ati cards.
Puppeteer, your problem is an gs or nvidia bug. You can find some information about it on the bugforum. What is wrong on your second screenshot?

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 12:04

The white background looks kinda weird to me because in ur screenshots it doesn't look like that

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 12:09

Same Effects like that on Samb's pics:
Ati Sapphire x300SE

You could use an animated more or less sphere shaped model for the hase.

The shadow should be less blurry and darker. Why didn't you apply a shadow to a moving model?
Static Shadows should be baken via ventilator's plugin, IMO.

The best results are probably achieved in collaboration like that one that you had when making the interior scene!

I'm impressed with your passionate never weaken efforts!
I hope you finally succeed! \:\)

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 13:47

It uses a blendmap where the redchannel is responsible for the transparency and the green channel for the disortionstrength. the 2nd seems to work well on ati cards but not the alphablending.
The problem with the DoF is also mainly releated to alphablending. It seems as it is still not supported for floatingpoint textures by ati cards. I will have to create another version of the depthmap which doesn´t use fp textures.
I don´t know yet, what causes the water reflection to look that bad.

I think the fog gets that bright in combination with the bloom. I should use a darker fogcolor.

Quote:

The shadow should be less blurry and darker.

This can be adjusted when generating the shadowmap. And it is probably also related to my very oldschool monitor ;\)

Quote:

Why didn't you apply a shadow to a moving model?

This would mean blurred stencilshadows. The problem is that the stencilshadows are slowing everything down such a lot.

Quote:

Static Shadows should be baken via ventilator's plugin, IMO.

I don´t own ventilators plugin and am not familar with any program to render a shadowmap. But I plan to create a version supporting a second uv-set for each shader.

Quote:

The best results are probably achieved in collaboration like that one that you had when making the interior scene!

which interior scene? o.O

Thanks for your help \:\)
(I´m really starting to hate ati...)

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 14:11

works ok on me if i change resolution to 1024x768.

Radial blur is cool, but fps is not very high(~17-22)

Radeon x200m 256

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 17:57

Originally Posted By: Slin

Quote:

which interior scene? o.O

I mean this: \:\)
The Inn

About the shadows:
You create the shadows with a shader, but they are not dynamic?

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 18:08

The shadows are generated through Lite-C with a cuple of c_traces and saved as a .tga file ;\)
The Inn uses the same shading but no shadows :P It looks just different because it is indoor and because it wasn´t me who designed the level (but just to let you know, we still plan to go on with it :))

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 20:52

All shaders worked properly except for the DoF since nothing changed in the view space when pressing F2 ;\) ;\) Probably an error in the GPU or sort like but I actually doubt this since it's a Geforce EN7950GX2 which should be capable of handling shader model 3.0 ^^
Anyway, great work Slin \:\) \:\)

Thanks in progress

Frazzle

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/24/08 21:21

Okay, I found out that I just forgot to enable alphablending :P But still there is something wrong with the projection causing the offset and the wrong water reflections. The heat refraction should look better now but because of that still not perfect.
I will create an other version of the DoF without fp rendertargets, which will hopefully solve the problems with it.

I will upload a new version if I consider all the current problems to be fixed.
Thanks for testing and I hope that you will try it again later on :P

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/25/08 18:28

Oke, thanks for the info ;\) ;\)

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/26/08 09:25

Great work! I love the lightning effects!

Dark_Samurai

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/27/08 21:39

I just uploaded a new version which hopefully fixes the problems. The DoF will still look wrong on some systems but other than that it should work now.
It would be nice if those having problems with the previous version could test this one and tell me if the heat refraction and the water are working all right now.

You can download it here: http://files.filefront.com/DemoLevel+V052rar/;10091541;/fileinfo.html

Thank you \:\)
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/27/08 22:04

DoF still doesn't work. Bloom now looks somehow strange. I get very bright spots and most of the scenery isn't changed at all. I guess you have my system specs... ;\)

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/28/08 11:59

I guess that the bloom works fine but not the heat refraction-.-
I have no idea what the problem could be but I´m going to find a solution.

Other than that, this is some great news:
 Originally Posted By: betapage

MEDB now supports a second UV set on skins, for special purposes such as shadow mapping. The second UV set is also stored in the MDL7 file.

It is still marked as experimental but I am really looking forward to this \:\)

Re: Shaders!!! - 04/28/08 12:19

The heat haze worked in the old version, but now I have the same result like Uhrwerk. And if I press F4, the stencil shadows are still unblured.

Dark_Samurai

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/04/08 01:14

I now created a version with clipping of each shader and new versions of DoF, blurred stencils and the depth based heat haze which should work on all systems supporting ps2.0.

The object based heat haze does still not work on all systems. The problem is very strange because I just set the model transparent to allow alphablending.

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/05/08 22:21

I uploaded a new version and would like those the previous versions were not properly working for to test this one. My solution for the heat refraction is not the best but at least it should work now. As well as the blurred stencils, the DoF and the water.
It can be downloaded here: http://files.filefront.com/DemoLevel+V053rar/;10140487;/fileinfo.html

Thanks!

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/06/08 00:29

I tried it several times, one of them, the water was perfect from any perspective above the water. The other times the waters mirroring consists of sort of rests of other 'views'.

Heaze and soft stencil doesn't work this time. Dof doesn't have any sharp focus.

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/06/08 15:54

Poor slin :p trying to fix one problem and the whole demo breaks :S
could it be compatibility issues with the other shaders? or is it just some quirks that make them break. \:\/

try walking in the water, when you get underneath the surface you suddenly see a hole in the bottom :p atleast it did at my computer,

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/06/08 16:01

I'm by god no expert but if I were you, I would make seperate demos for every effect. And if every effect works on all pc's than you can test them together.

Dark_Samurai

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/06/08 16:48

hmm dark i think thats the same work to test one or test all.. the better way I think is test all to check how compare they are together

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/06/08 16:56

But if a single shader has a problem than the best solution is to test it seperate so that you can exclude that the other things interrupt this shader.
I would never build a softwareproject as one thing. The normal task should be to create every feature seperate and than merge them together. Especially if more people are working together.
Trust me, this is much easier ;\)

Dark_Samurai

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/06/08 17:21

i cant get it work.(the demo)

i place the d3d9_someting dll in the folder but it is not recognized. it still says it cant find the dll.

nvm. i forgot to install dx9 \:D

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/06/08 18:19

so i test it the water work fine, the effekts too only the haze shader show the model sides annnd i had a big camera prblem that suck the models in one angel in some camerapositions annd the blur iss tooo much^^

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/06/08 18:50

I think that there are some hardware restrictions for render targets I don´t know about.
The concept of this project is that each shader works independant from the others, this means that I just have to uncomment two lines and the shader is excluded from the project (with which I mean that the compiler doesn´t get any line of the code). Because of that it is very easy to make sure that there aren´t compability issues. And my biggest problem is that everything works fine on my system (8800gts 640mb).

The problems are the wrong rendered depthmap, the wrong/not/however rendered refraction map and the sometimes wrong rendered reflection map.
These are all using render to texture. The heat haze worked on more systems before I changed the resolution from 512*512 to 256*256.

Re: Shaders!!! - 05/14/08 14:29

i tested the 0.5.3.

bloom,water,radial works fine.

soft-stencils doent work because of the dof view(or quad).
i mean, if shadows gets outside of the dof view they are blurred:

heat haze and shadows of the trees are not working well, heat haze is just gray and the shadows of trees are not using alphas.

running on a 9600GT sonic 1gb.

Re: Shaders!!! - 09/24/08 18:28

Posted By: Shadow969

Re: Shaders!!! - 09/24/08 18:44

god rays? neat smile
Posted By: broozar

Re: Shaders!!! - 09/24/08 19:02

why are the leaves square?

Re: Shaders!!! - 09/24/08 19:11

Originally Posted By: Shadow969
god rays? neat smile

Yes, god rays^^

Originally Posted By: broozar
why are the leaves square?

Ouh, maybe because I created them and I am really bad at such things?^^ Problem was that all my previous approaches looked even worse :P
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Shaders!!! - 09/24/08 19:44

great work on the rays laugh
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Shaders!!! - 09/24/08 20:00

omg bluuuuuuuum

seriously, it's overdone, _WAY_ too much bloom

Re: Shaders!!! - 09/24/08 20:22

Originally Posted By: Michael_Schwarz
omg bluuuuuuuum

seriously, it's overdone, _WAY_ too much bloom

Of course :P
I did not invest much time into tweaking the values and just wanted the effect to be visible. Other than that I am not aiming for realism but for a cool look and in my opinion overdone bloom is part of it. But this is of course a little too much :P.

Re: Shaders!!! - 09/28/08 00:56

This is my first try to realize deferred shading with A7. I´d say that it works
pretty well so far smile
For now I am using four textures. One stores the diffuse color and the material
id, another one stores the pixels worldpositions and the specular exponent and
the third texture includes the normals and the specular strength.

And thanks to Marc Wakefield for this nice model with such a great normal and glossmap smile

Re: Shaders!!! - 09/28/08 19:40

And another screenshot showing a comparison of the scene with and without the postprocessing shader I wrote today:

Re: Shaders!!! - 10/02/08 12:46

The lowest image is with the post processing effect? It looks a lot better indeed.

Metal needs to shine a lot more than blood by the way, smile

Cheers

Re: Shaders!!! - 10/02/08 13:29

It is both with deferred shading, but the second shows my first try with screen space ambient occlusion.
Posted By: ello

Re: Shaders!!! - 10/02/08 14:14

the ssao looks quite promising..
Posted By: Drew

Re: Shaders!!! - 11/14/08 05:38

please share the ssao!! smile
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Shaders!!! - 11/15/08 15:37

Cool
© 2024 lite-C Forums