medieval helmet

Posted By: skyfish

medieval helmet - 05/07/08 14:12

just finished working on it, and i hope its the right forum to post it:). have a look on it, critiques are welcome

Posted By: aztec

Re: medieval helmet - 05/07/08 14:37

yeah its the right forum
it doesnt look bad from this view do you have any more pictures
or do you have a wireframe(Med) screenshot?
and how is the overall polycount(vertices, faces)
but It looks realy good to me did you made the skin yourself?

Regards

Aztec
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: medieval helmet - 05/07/08 15:32

it is a bit high poly, there are areas where you could turn alot of polies into just 2 or 3 rather than 6-10. It's not bad, but it could use some work
Posted By: Tristan3D

Re: medieval helmet - 05/07/08 17:01

Ya, I would state the same: It has too many polygons. It's okay to pump up the polycount as long as it get a better appearance through this. But I can see a lot of polys you really do not need for the overall structure of this model (besides, the topology is a bit distorted... you can bring down the polygon count even more with a reasonable topology-Edgeflow). Nevertheless: A cool style \:\)

\:\)

Tristan
Posted By: frazzle

Re: medieval helmet - 05/07/08 18:32

I agrea with the rest of the comments, the poly flow needs some modifications and the amount of polies is to high due too a bad poly flow ;\) ;\)
I like the style though but the texture needs a better resolution \:\) \:\)

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: medieval helmet - 05/07/08 21:24

this helmet must weight like 3 tons.... i suggest making it less "bold"

I can tell you, i have been in a knight armor myself once(awesome feeling btw!) and it was some quite thin steel, but it was heavy as a*s. I cant imagine the wight of a helmet with THAT thick steel...
Posted By: Tristan3D

Re: medieval helmet - 05/08/08 06:27

Oh and: The Texture as frazzle said is a bit low in resolution - and is not aligned correctly. You got a somekind of a symetry with the painted structures of this textures - but they do not align symetrical in a correct manner. If you would fix all this, then everything would be perfect \:\)

Tristan

Posted By: DoC

Re: medieval helmet - 05/08/08 07:51

I think the model is okay (not the polycount buts not important by training you skills this come with time) but you must know a good model cant hide a bad texture, thats the first think you always need to know when you make a model. Try to search pics from oblivion or gothic3 or what ever and use them for your first works than you understand where you can reduce polygones and so on...

Go on train and dont give up ;-)
your on good way

DoC..
Posted By: Gamesaint762

Re: medieval helmet - 05/08/08 13:32

I would suggest if you have a reference image to use it so that you get the proper shape of a helmet. There are also some 5 sided faces in there which is never a good thing so I would go back and weld some vertices. Texture is very low quality but that is something you could easily improve on. GS out.
Posted By: skyfish

Re: medieval helmet - 05/09/08 12:17

Well I allready reduced the Poly to about 600, and now I#m trying to rework the skin. and I realized that my Skinning Skill sucks! So my question is: has anybody concret advices or a good tutorial for me, so I can improve my skills?
And thx for the c&c so far!
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: medieval helmet - 05/09/08 17:51

for the skins, i like to use blenders ambient occlusion baker, if you dont use blender you can get one thru xnormal, use that for a base shadow map, then go to imageafter.com, or some other texture resource, and look for the materails to put behind it.
© 2024 lite-C Forums