Unnamed RPG project

Posted By: Vilde

Unnamed RPG project - 08/11/08 19:30

I don't know any other things yet but that it's going to be similar to The Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion (but way smaller)...

Here's what I've got for now:

It's supposed to be a piece of street and there will be also water in the sand area in future... laugh

I'm going to make small village there and after I have some basic things, I'm gonna start working with a player model...
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/11/08 19:32

Not to be to blunt but 'The Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion.' can i assume you a one man team, to make a game of that size would take ages ,and from what you have it looks like it will take a very long time .

I would advise rethinking this...

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/11/08 20:45

as I've said before at the other thread, I won't even try making as huge and great game as Oblivion... Just something smaller and similar to it grin

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/11/08 21:01

Ok, you didnt mention smaller in the first post, maybe when i see some screens of something more than just some rectangular models
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/11/08 21:34

This project will not finish.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/11/08 22:35

way to go, taking all hope out of a newbie without not even reading his first post.

i say go for it. try it. limit yourself to one town or whatever, just do it. skip all the graphics shaders and whatever, just go for the code of it. after you coded a working copy, try yoruself with the graphics.
but dont be disapointed if it wont work out the way you want wink
Posted By: cro_games

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/11/08 23:15

good luck..
Posted By: bomber

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 02:41

yeah,let him try
Posted By: FoxZero

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 06:48

Wow! What negativity. You just skim and see "Oblivion" and then a simple level screen shot and you qrite, "You will fail. You won't finish. And my favorite, exactly what you just said."

My best advice, don't listen to negative people like this. I know this because I am one of these people and I find it best not to listen to myself.

Oh, and Oblivion isn't the only deep real time RPG out there. Have you ever heard of Sword of Vermilion? It is a 16 bit Sega Genesis game but all the battles are real time it is very simple in comparison to Oblivion. My other advice is perhaps making an updated version in the style of this game, add more elements of Oblivion to it. Replace the overhead view with a first person cam. Perhaps copy the simple spells.

I own both games and they do have a lot in common yet one is very simple and the other is extremely complex. I have no doubt you could do something in between. Best of luck to ya.
Posted By: bomber

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 07:48

yeah thats right! You guys see "Oblivion" and take it for a huge game, but he said it was going to be way smaller!
Posted By: cartoon_baboon

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 09:22

Well The Darkmountain project also started small and look how far that is!

So it definitely can be done - it just needs determination!
Posted By: aztec

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 11:34

yeah I agree.
the start is allways the time to get a lot of motivation
and we dont want to drag him down do we?
maybe you dont need to do all by yourself try searching for free nodels if you cant get it done.

Regards

Aztec wink
Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 13:07

Whether or not you finish the project the experience and skills you learn along the way will be incredibly valuable to becoming a great game developer. Keep up the good work!

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 13:58

Yes, it might be true this one never finishes. But I won't quit easily. Also I'm going to go in some coding (or whatever it is in english) school to study a lot and start game making as my career. (It's not a "HEY I WANNA BE MAKERS OF TEH GAMZORZ!! =D"-idea it's the future smile )

I know all you experts think "Lol you're just a noob who can't make anything :P" but I have lots of experience in map making and texture editing/drawing/making... I think that makes things a bit easier too. smile

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 14:01

Well then good luck, btw any models you make keep, in case you need them in the future ,same with any code,maps ,textures anything. If you need any help i know some coding (lite-c) and can make some models and maps.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 14:40

Starting small is the best option for gaining experience but it's a free world thus why can't you try smile smile
There is always a chance that it succeeds but you will definitly gain a higher chance when you make it a small Oblivion-like project wink wink (like you mentioned ^^)

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 14:50

I would advise intesne-x for the AI though, make your life easier and the game come together faster
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 14:52

Originally Posted By: Vilde
I know all you experts think "Lol you're just a noob who can't make anything :P" but I have lots of experience in map making and texture editing/drawing/making... I think that makes things a bit easier too. smile

And those guys who think they are experts haven't finished a game, those of us who have know that it takes determination and if you have that, you'll finish it. Just don't stop in the hard parts of the project, considering it is your first (?) there will be some hard parts, but continue anyway. Keep going with the project, although I think you did start the topic too early (you should have more to show, but that's my opinion), but I'll be watching this project to see how it turns out. Good luck smile

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 14:58

Yeah it's good not to stop in hard parts... I just usually slow down a bit. My progress at the time is already kind of slow as I'm being very busy with other things but I think it's funnier and better to make slow than making it too fast...

The next thing I'm making is a simple house. I already have a wall model and next will be the door and window parts.

Great thing people are interested in this and like to give help (I've already got more help than I thought I could get laugh )

I'll be posting new pictures as I make some progress... wink
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 15:00

When I said this project will not finish, I meant that the game won't be as described, but something else.

I can't take game project seriously if all I can see is piece of pavement.

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 15:15

Well might be true then that mpdeveloper_B was correct about making this thread too early... I just got so excited about the piece of street (and I had clear plans/images in my mind) so I just had to post that picture... That is very much already for me blush (Street in the pic)

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 15:18

lol, maybe when you have some more to show people will be more interested.
Posted By: cro_games

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 18:57

Originally Posted By: FoxZero
Wow! What negativity. You just skim and see "Oblivion" and then a simple level screen shot and you qrite, "You will fail. You won't finish. And my favorite, exactly what you just said."...

We are hoping for the contra effect..lol..
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/12/08 19:05

Originally Posted By: Vilde
Well might be true then that mpdeveloper_B was correct about making this thread too early... I just got so excited about the piece of street (and I had clear plans/images in my mind) so I just had to post that picture... That is very much already for me blush (Street in the pic)

*Cough* *Cough*

And then two years later...

The website

I shouldn't be able to say anything, but hey, it makes good advice for others laugh
Posted By: FoxZero

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 08/13/08 04:09

Originally Posted By: Inestical
When I said this project will not finish, I meant that the game won't be as described, but something else.

I can't take game project seriously if all I can see is piece of pavement.

Point taken, and I feel you man, but why not say that the first time? And if you don't have anything constructive to say then why not just be mature and not say anything?

So he got excited and posted too early, that's no justification to discourage him. Just let him know what he did wrong.
Posted By: not_me

Re: Unnamed RPG project - 09/01/08 19:58

good luck! i wish you the best smile
© 2024 lite-C Forums