Kino One - Alpha

Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Kino One - Alpha - 09/27/08 01:23

Kino One will be our next videogame. The game is currently in alpha stage, so this video only shows off some of what we have now. The game is still missing some sounds and effects as well as characters popping up to provide the story.

The game is a scrolling shooter combining the 70's anime and the 80's arcade game feelings.

What do you think? (we don't really care what you think, we're just showing it off.....muhahahahaaaa cool )
Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/27/08 05:17

Glen that game is SOOO awesome! Congrats on the good job! Can't wait until it's finished smile
Posted By: cartoon_baboon

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/27/08 07:46

Looks cool Only wish the background would move a little bit more. It's kind of static now.
Posted By: BoH_Havoc

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/27/08 10:08

This looks like fun!
The grafix remind me alot of some arcade games from the neogeo (especially those explosions at 0:29) and the sounds made me remember kiloblaster. I think you succeded in mixing retro with new age. Good job!

Is this a two player game? That would really round up the whole thing smile
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/27/08 11:58

Looks very good, could be very cool to play. Nice art style also,

Cheers

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/27/08 14:39

Yes, the game is two-player. We HAD to have that.

@David_Lancaster: thanks, man. Don't get overexcited and blow a gasket laugh

@BoH_Havoc: Thanks for the comment BoH, that's really what we are going for, we are just basing the game off of Juno First with a newer feel to it. It wasn't shown in the video but you can warp out for a second or two to avoid danger.

@PHeMoX: thanks. smile
Posted By: Espér

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/27/08 14:51

mm.. think the screen is a bit to width for a vertical-Shooter
Every shooter i know has a screen size like the shooter itself.
Verticals have higher, thinner screens
Horizontals have wider and lower Screens

In your video, it looks static because that little ship flies on a BIG Screen, with a nearly static background

But that´s all your thing ^^ just my point of view. I like the smooth run with that many objects, and the graphic isn´t the worst. go on with it ^^
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/27/08 18:14

Very good smile
I love these weapon-upgradeable-scrolling-spaceflight-invader games laugh
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/27/08 20:45

Great particle effects, it all looks very smooth on that level smile smile
The AI in overall seems oke but it appears to be that the boss' AI is repetitive thus making it relative easy to defeat him wink wink
I think that by simply making him move, that it would spice up the difficulity level ^^
Nevertheless, looks very very promising !

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/27/08 23:50

@frazzle: what old shooters don't have repetitive bosses wink besides, if you do get hit, it takes your sheild down, a few more hits (depending on your power level) and you're destroyed. smile
Posted By: Quad

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/28/08 02:06

looks like fun!
Posted By: William

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/28/08 10:21

Yeah, this looks great. Good job!
Posted By: Clockmaster

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/28/08 20:12

Really Cool. Looks like Fun. Keep the Good Work. cool
Posted By: astrophe

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 09/29/08 22:02

i really love the look and feel of that... i love the old school design mixed with modern type graphics... was fantastic...

i even loved the repetitive boss... that's exactly the kind of thing that was in those games... just figure out the pattern for each one and you can beat him hehe

well done. looks beautiful.

New Alpha video - 11/05/08 22:36

Here's an alpha promo including some pics of the characters and updated gameplay footage.

I recommend checking out the high quality version on youtube. You can find it here.
Posted By: GamerX

Re: New Alpha video - 11/06/08 17:23

Are the ships panels them selves or are they 3d? BTW looks AMAZING.
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: New Alpha video - 11/06/08 19:37

I think they are 3d!

Looks realy funny! Cool game for a break and more ^^
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 11/06/08 21:03

Awesome, it reminds me of that old Commodore game combined with Nexus - The Jupiter Incident. ^^

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 11/07/08 16:05

smile thanks guys.

@GamerX: yes the game is completely 3d (except for hud and other panels) laugh.

@Dark_samurai: Yes, and dialogue isn't implemented yet, but It'll definately be funny...how do I know? We did the script in the beginning stage, the game does not take itself seriously.

@ShorVietnam: I'm not sure what commodore game you mean, but I do know Nexus. We're really going for an "old-skool" shooter gameplay style while doing the game in "anime-style", so It won't be pulling the engine by the leg. It won't look realistic or be realistic in any context, but It does look good I'll agree.

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 11/07/08 22:58

Splendid! When can we buy it? grin
Posted By: FBL

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 11/09/08 10:33

Very cool smile

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 11/09/08 21:29

We also don't have a set release date, it's very unprofessional in my opinion, but soon. The gameplay is just about done, and the levels are about 60% done, they'll be done in a week or two. But characters aren't in the game yet.

Thanks to both of you, this one will be polished way better. smile

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 12/02/08 22:57

...and gametrailers snatched kino's alpha video from gamershell apparently:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/10511.html

we've known about it for some time now, but just recently did we find out that it has an 8.7 rating...interesting since it hasn't been released yet, and we didn't vote for it
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 12/03/08 00:01

hey that's cool! those comments are generally really good.

one guy's like "i normally never buy PC games but this one's forcing my hand" or something along those lines.

congrats wink

cool game.

julz

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 12/03/08 00:46

Yeah, this game looks awesome. Any word on a deadline or release date kind of thing?

Good luck!

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 12/03/08 17:47

nothing yet, but it will be early next year. However, the gameplay is almost done 100%, and that's all I can say. We're taking extra time to polish this one till she shines!

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 12/05/08 00:30

Well, regular levels are done 100%! Two player is done, gameplay will be completed before the holidays, probably next week. Expect a new video soon smile

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 12/05/08 13:29

Cool, keep us updated.

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 12/11/08 16:17

Weeeeell, as of now all levels are 100% unless changes will be made later. So far so good, and some changes have made the framerate better, although with 2 players it can drop in later levels.

I'll check back soon for another update wink
Posted By: mpdeveloper_A

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 12/19/08 16:47

Happy Holidays from Kino One and MangaPage.

Check out the video version here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNOmq-d74yM
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 01/09/09 07:04

nice screenshots in the new AUM. very crisp and stylish looking.

i can't wait to get my hands on this!

julz

EDIT: if possible would you distribute via Steam? i like Steam.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 01/09/09 07:10

yeah and with steam you can reach more people i guess.(First you have to satisify Valve ofc. But valve supports indie games, and im sure this can get to steam.)

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 01/10/09 05:49

we will try to get it on steam. I have been in contact with them for some time, and we are on the steam developer community. They are nice people, but games have to have a certain....flare to fit for steam, ex: PreVa was not fit. We do think Kino One will make it to steam, but we will see.

@screenshots: thanks, they do look good, but some stuff has been improved significantly since then. We made the laser/laser muzzle and hit sprites better, and fps is running great. 95% of the time it is 60+ (at the monitor's refresh rate of course) so on one pc that is pretty old now, the frame rate is normally between 60-85. In windowed mode it climbs into the hundreds (150+). Lowest Avg Frame rate has been about 42+, which is exceptional for A6. Expect some new stuff soon, gameplay polish should be done soon, and 2 player is complete.

Still no promise on a release date, just know we plan on polishing this thing till it shines! laugh
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 01/10/09 12:49

I think the name of this project is not perfect. Look here, what Kino means in German:
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lan...o&relink=on

A potential customer could believe it is a cinema manager game. This is misleading.

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 01/10/09 18:30

Interesting...we're really doing it as a joke name from the game "Juno First".
Posted By: FBL

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 01/11/09 13:47

I actually like the name, because for German people it's just.... weird laugh
Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 01/12/09 02:27

btw Glen incase I forgot to mention, you're awesome! Keep up this awesome game!

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 01/12/09 20:06

@FB: laugh laugh laugh

@DL:......oooooookaaay.....

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 01/26/09 15:26

Quote:
Still no promise on a release date, just know we plan on polishing this thing till it shines! laugh

So, is it shining yet? grin

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 01/26/09 16:03

A bit laugh still not done yet. The graphics have been updated a bit and characters are being redrawn, the new laser effect looks great and all, but we won't do a video yet. Gameplay is done except for bonuses and the difficulty (which will be done with the menu).

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/01/09 03:29

Here's some of the polishing and the new laser that mpdeveloper_B has been wanting to show off.

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/01/09 11:44

Looks very nice Glenn, I especially like the shading style, it combines a nice color research with environmental input such as specular regions and self-shadowing.
Mostly when rendering such things, the input of analoge colors with a small contrast of complementary colors finishes it off quite nicely smile smile

But I have got 2 suggestions.
1) The bracelets of the female character should receive more specular terms.
2) For the WIP head, I would personally give the character blond hair to match the outfit wink wink

But when looking at all your elements, I can state that it matches perfectly. Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/02/09 14:57

well...that wasn't exactly me posting, but thanks for your kind words frazzle. ^^

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/02/09 17:42

Originally Posted By: mpdeveloper_B
well...that wasn't exactly me posting, ... ^^

Sorry, my mistake ^^

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/10/09 01:52

Posted By: GamerX

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/10/09 01:56

Dam thats nice, you did so good with just using shaders and sprites for the effects i was so surprised to find that you didn't use particles for them. Great job looks awesome!
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/10/09 02:16

the cel shading adds a lot to it.

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/10/09 15:14

thanks guys.

@gamerx: yup, we decided that particle effects were too slow, so we made virtually every effect using sprites. The only particle effect is the moving "stars" in the background, and they are just squares because we didn't use a bmap with them.
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/17/09 11:46

Nice!! But arent the explotion effects made from particles??
I like the style of the enemy's ship and the combo system...
The cell shading and outlining might improve the visual...

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/17/09 15:01

No, explosions are sprites. Everything but the stars in the background are sprites. And thanks for the comment on the style.

Combos have been updated where you have big ship combos and regular combos. Any ship you take out now adds to your combos.
Posted By: ortucis

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/19/09 12:55

This looks really good (the video and the AUM screens). The weapons, mostly the homing missiles remind me of Demon Star, in a good way of course.

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/19/09 14:48

Thanks for the comment. I wasn't a big fan of Demon Star, ships had too much health, but I get what you're saying. The homing missiles are quite strong too.

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/21/09 14:12

My guess is that they are powerups? In that case, please keep them strong. They were my fav weapons in DS but I hated how they were weak for a powerup that is limited. The whole point of homing in on enemy is to help the player clear the screen clutter laugh afterall, why not do it with a bang and make them actually useful, like a one shot kill (not for boss of course).

Anyways, it's upto you how you balance your own game. It still looks fun. I am atm playing Gradius V and just installed Demon Star 2 after reading this thread.

BTW, I didn't play much of DS1 but in DS2 you pretty much died in a shot or two most of the time. What I really like in DS is how the developers didn't flood the screen with enemies (like Astro Avenger for example) where you had no way to dodge the countless bullets flowing towards you (I really hate that).

Anyways, good luck with this (didn't you create a mech game as well?).

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/21/09 15:20

The Kino One upgrades 3 times using the same kind of powerups so you have 4 levels of power:

Level1: slow main shot
Level2: faster main shot and non-homing missiles
Level3: faster main shot, a slow sub shot and non-homing missiles
Level4: Main shot, Missiles, Faster sub shot and homing missiles

you keep each powerup unless your shield gets dropped and you get hit after your shield is destroyed. Your shield regenerates after it has been knocked off, or when it takes any damage, so you could play through the game without dying if you were really good. For the shield, think halo style shield system, that's exactly how Kino's is.

As for DS, yes that's what I hated too. YOu couldn't take but 1-3 hits depending on what they hit you with and it was totally lame. Also, making homing missiles a weapon you lose, when they aren't even that strong, is lame.

And yes we did make a mech game, it was released in June of last year. This game is nearing completion too.

\/ our website has updates for our stuff, and you can see our other game there.

Re: Kino One - Alpha - 02/21/09 15:53

Well, I think I would have gotten bored of keeping missiles all of the time in DS. Powerups work differently in different games I guess. That is, keeping powerups time limited keeps them fresh and keeps the player on the lookout for some edge over the enemy. The only thing I would have wanted to keep were the laser upgrades in DS, damn it was lame when you respawned during the boss-fight only to spawn without any powerful laser and any extra upgrades as well. frown

Anyways, I will wait for the demo to sample your upgrade setup. laugh

Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 03/26/09 13:13

Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet

Here is a short video showing a little more of the game. It was all taken from the second level. The game is getting very close to completion now. We are working on mini-games and the menu now. After that we will start beta testing.
Posted By: Espér

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 03/29/09 23:33

very nice video.. saw it on gametrailers.com...
makes hope for my game to see yours there ^^

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 03/31/09 18:39

Thanks esper, it got there from us contacting GamersHell. Anytime you submit videos to GamersHell they end up on GameTrailers. PreVa is on Game Trailers and so is Kino One. And Kino has a really good rating so far. And believe me when I say that submitting news to GamersHell is easy and they are nice people. Here's proof:

http://www.gamershell.com/pc/kino_one/news.html
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/preva/news.html

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 04/21/09 03:48

Forgot to post this, a HQ version of the Mars Fleet gameplay video. Yes it looks good in fullscreen:

Last week we had some problems that threw us back a bit, but we're going back full force this week. Expect Kino before the end of spring. laugh

Overall everything has went well, and I look forward to more work, matter of fact we're in the last stage now. We also may have a nice distribution deal on our hands as well, but that's all i'll say on that. wink

Enjoy the HQ video and expect to hear more from us soon.

@ortucis: Great, I look forward to letting you play the demo, as I mentioned expect it soon, probably sooner than you think. laugh

edit: forgot to mention, the music in this trailer is music that will be included in Kino.

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 04/21/09 18:03

omfg that's so awesome, like that old game on commodore but in good/great! xD

"Good job Flash!" (Gordon? *ggg*)

Ist that 8 bit music? ^^

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 04/22/09 18:14

Originally Posted By: ShoreVietam
omfg that's so awesome, like that old game on commodore but in good/great! xD

Thanks, we like it. laugh
The game is really fun, and like our last game it has to have a big laser. It is ANIME.

Originally Posted By: ShoreVietnam
"Good job Flash!" (Gordon? *ggg*)

That is the joke, but actually the main character's name is Flash Brannighan. Nice to see that you get the reference though, how obvious it may be. laugh

Originally Posted By: ShoreVietnam
Ist that 8 bit music? ^^

Yup, the entire game will be full of it. All the classic remakes will have original sounds too.

New Trailer - 04/22/09 19:40

Well it's more of a teaser actually, it's very short, I recommend watching in HQ and Fullscreen:

To watch in HQ/fullscreen click here

To answer this before it's asked: Yes those games shown will be in Kino One. This post may bring up more questions, but, fire away. laugh

The trailer hasn't been submitted to GamersHell or GameTrailers yet, but expect to see it there.

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 04/26/09 06:27

Sure, what would an space-anime without really HUGE laser be? xD

8 bit music rocks, did you know that there is a winamp plugin for playing SNES music files (*.spc) ? ^^

Cool trailer, looks professional, I could imagine watching it on tv. =)

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 04/27/09 05:45

Sure, what would an space-anime without really HUGE laser be? xD

8 bit music rocks, did you know that there is a winamp plugin for playing SNES music files (*.spc) ? ^^

Cool trailer, looks professional, I could imagine watching it on tv. =)

About the laser, you're completely right. Nice to see another anime fan here, there don't seem to be that many working with GS. Now if you're as big of fan as I am about Japanese culture...well then you should check our Japaneazee section on our itbgames blog laugh

I didn't know about that plugin, although I do use winamp laugh

Thanks for the comment, I'd love to see it on tv. laugh All credit to mpdeveloper_A for making it, he does all the cutscene editing too, and does a great job. He is a good director.

You're too kind ShoreVietnam, thanks for all your input. Don't be scarce though, the game is almost done, really.

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 04/27/09 08:15

Well sure I am! That's quite the reason why I'm not around GS so often any more (I developed a Japan ~1500 A.D. build up/strategy browsergame in perpetual alpha stage). Starbattle goes into anime direction, too. ^^

Oh hey, the video for Aveyond (1) hast been remove due to terms of whatever violation. On that site you should be able to view all games of one category at once, not only for every single letter, there are not that hughe amounts of games each category! (^_^)

Well I was annoyed always letting an SNES emulator run in te background to listen to the awesome tracks and so I searched and found. :-D

The other videos are good, too. I only wonder what the Astro Miner actually mines, the whole mine seems yet to be cleared. *g*

Edit:
You should know this game ! wink
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 04/27/09 16:41

haha, shore, I havent played that game in forever. That, Kings Quest, and Comso adventures were the first pc games I ever played when I was like 6. Thanks for the nostalgia, as far as kino one goes, not my style, but it looks nice and polished.

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 04/28/09 04:37

Well sure I am! That's quite the reason why I'm not around GS so often any more (I developed a Japan ~1500 A.D. build up/strategy browsergame in perpetual alpha stage). Starbattle goes into anime direction, too. ^^

Oh hey, the video for Aveyond (1) hast been remove due to terms of whatever violation. On that site you should be able to view all games of one category at once, not only for every single letter, there are not that hughe amounts of games each category! (^_^)

Well I was annoyed always letting an SNES emulator run in te background to listen to the awesome tracks and so I searched and found. :-D

The other videos are good, too. I only wonder what the Astro Miner actually mines, the whole mine seems yet to be cleared. *g*

Edit:
You should know this game ! wink

laugh nice to know, I have seen bits from star battle too. I think I downloaded it, may play it soon. smile

So you checked our store too, heh, I didn't notice the aveyond video being removed, but that's odd, it's Amanda's channel I believe...hmm. As for the games, we did it that way to make it easier for us to edit, originally it was more complicated, but this was the simplest. At least until we start doing contracts with the people who made the games and use a ecommerce store...

Cant help but love that SNES flare, specially Castlevania IV

lol, don't blame the store games on us though, they're affiliates from plimus and others laugh

As for Raptor, are you kidding? I suggested the homing laser from that game for kino, but it would've made it too easy. I really like that game, and I played it like an addict for the longest time. It was Mountain King's best game. (that i've played anyway)

@LC: thanks guy, always nice to get feedback. Maybe you'll give it a play when it's done anyway though. wink smile

We'll probably move to the Showcase when the game's out, or at least the demo and we'd like to hear more criticism there. We probably won't do a public beta test, but expect the game soon.

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 04/28/09 15:46

lol downloading and not playing, what's that good for? (^_^)

I think I should look out for that Castlevania once, I think it wasn't in stores around here, but there should be a german version.

Well, guess what made me think of raptor? xD
Your game made play through a couple of levels again (DOS version from Apogee).

One nice thing in Raptor is, that better weapons don't only have advantages. For example the homing laser is stronger than the homing twin machine gun, but is only one and air-only.

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 04/28/09 18:38

laugh

It's my favorite castlevania (i'm a huge fan of the old series)

lol, that's great. I love that game, you're almost tempting me to play again. Or maybe I'll just play Kino (nah nah nah nah naaaah) :P

Agreed, originally we had the shots firing in multiple directions in Kino, I think the first alpha video showed that, but we removed it because it made the game too easy.

Re: Kino One Level 2 - The Mars Fleet - 06/19/09 21:27

Long time no update eh?

Well here's why: we had some problems with some of the game. We had video issues, sound issues, etc. Good news though, the game is still going on (yay!) and we're doing some finishing up now. The game is close to finished, but we won't release until we get all our deals going and everything, what with it going to be on steam and possibly direct2drive. As of now, you can play completely through the game and the mini-games. The credits are in and everything is going well now. Sadly we couldn't get it out in spring, but better to make sure everything is finalized than to release a product that is not in working order.

As for music, if you guys want to hear some of it go here:

http://www.temporalstatic.com/

Yes, Temporal Static Studios is doing our music again. PreVa's music was great and we decided to let TSS do this one too.
© 2024 lite-C Forums