Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS

Posted By: Locoweed

Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 10/22/08 05:31

Hi,

Here is sample of our initial test with Speed Tree working with 3DGS.

Not like many people will be using Speed Tree due to price, but it does show it is possible to integrate it into 3DGS. We are also currently working on integrating the Havoc Physics Engine into 3DGS, unfortunately none of these will be released to public, although the Earth Sculpture export plugin we are working on will be released to 3DGS community for free once the boss man gives us the thumbs up to do so.

The only reason I am really showing this is, if you really want to you can integrate almost anything into 3DGS in Lite-C if you have the desire and the skill to do so. Not that it is easy, we do have good programmers, but it is possible.

Initial Speed Tree into 3DGS Movie (.m2v file)

Later,
Loco
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 10/22/08 07:49

Is the speed tree thing what is making the trees move ?
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 10/22/08 09:06

How fast is the final result?

And will you add some shadow mechanism for the terrain? Currently it looks like a photo-montage. The trees get some decent shading but the terrain does not.
Posted By: Slin

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 10/22/08 10:03

Nice work, although the animation is a little fast wink

Why do you want to choose Havok? I donīt like itīs licence and the "free" sdk doesnīt offer the new cloth, softbody, ... features. I although wasnīt able to create static, polygonal collision geometry with it. Havok behaves nice and is fast but PhysX is even faster, with a little less accuracy, it has many more features and a "better" licence. Why would you prefer Havok if you could also use PhysX?
I am just curious wink
Posted By: HPW

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 10/22/08 11:58

Good to hear that's possible. smile
I want to implement it, too.
But not before next year.

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 10/22/08 22:19

Using Havoc was a team decision. We checked into PhysX also, but we decided on Havoc for certain features it has that fits our game. We looked hard at them both of them though.
Posted By: AlexMarch

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 04/12/09 06:48

I have to use SpeedTree in 3dgs.
But I do not know how to do it
Please help me find a way or give a hint as to implement.
I guess that you can connect as a file spt. But I do not know its internal format.
Posted By: Ayrus

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/15/09 12:48

Very Nice Loco,

I like how it looks, although, as mentioned the terrain getting some of the shading would be nice...

Offtopic I know, but aren't you supposed to be "retired" from 3dgs like me smile... what have you been up to?

Regards,
Ayrus

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 05:53

Hmmm.... Ayrus, not so retired I guess.

Unfortunately, I have now learned to rig, weight, and animate models due to necessity. Sigh. I am actually really getting good at that stuff, although I don't enjoy it much and definitely didn't enjoy learning how to do it.

I will show something a little more updated soon just for you. Something more worthy, lol.

Hope you are doing well,

Later,
Loco
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 06:21

easier than importing it laugh

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 06:39

I was about to go off on my modeler, animator, and shader people rant.

Oh, maybe I will.

Modelers and animators think that whatever they give you is the finished product. They don't want to do the tweaking to make the final product perfect. Shader people are just weird, they think they have some kind of special society that no one else can understand and try keeping everything secret.

I am now to the point where I can laugh at animator and shader people's attitudes if they being stupid, although I am still not where I can get past the modeler's attitudes yet, but the modelers are actually the lesser of the 3 evils, they generally keep working until the job is done right.

Of course, programmers always do things right, they don't leave you with a program where a character floats in the air while walking or anything like that. wink

Later,
Loco

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 07:02

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
easier than importing it laugh

Decided to delete this, since I am not sure the version of Motion Builder I bought was legally registered to do the conversions I was doing. I don't want anyone doing anything illegal with my advise.

Later,
Loco

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 07:20

Originally Posted By: Locoweed
Import that FBX into Motion Builder using FBX Import. Save that file from Motion Builder ...oops, I was thinking like a shader guru there, got to keep it all secret.

I just checked the prices and you better should have kept it a secret:
http://www.3dsoftware-shop.de/software/professional/AutodeskMotionBuilder.html?GroupID=405&

More than 5,000 Euros for a single license. And this is only Motion Builder.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 07:22

so where do i lie :D, Im mainly a modeler and programmer, and can do a little animation, and a little shader programming, so does that mean, im only a little bit of an ass? :P

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 08:09

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
so where do i lie :D, Im mainly a modeler and programmer, and can do a little animation, and a little shader programming, so does that mean, im only a little bit of an ass? :P

Yeah, just a little.

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 08:30

Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
Import that FBX into Motion Builder using FBX Import. Save that file from Motion Builder ...oops, I was thinking like a shader guru there, got to keep it all secret.

I just checked the prices and you better should have kept it a secret:
http://www.3dsoftware-shop.de/software/professional/AutodeskMotionBuilder.html?GroupID=405&

More than 5,000 Euros for a single license. And this is only Motion Builder.

As to this comment, I said if you have the software. Maybe you should go to EBAY and check what you can buy a Motion Builder version that can convert file types and it can be bought for cheap. If you have problems with the software I bought on EBAY, tell them about it how it is not right, not me, I am pretty sure EBAY's legal team tracks what is going on better than me, but maybe not. Oh yes, and the company I am working for has licenses to SpeedTree, SpeedGrass, and all that stuff too. I was just sharing information that might be useful to someone.

Did the Shader guru comment get under your skin or something?

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 08:46

Did the Shader guru comment get under your skin or something?

No, I dont feel touched by this comment. I can even agree with you. There are such people as you mentioned.

And I just checked and did not find a MotionBilder license at Ebay. And I think it is easy to find out whether Autodesk allows to transfer a license though I cannot imagine that somebody who bought it for more than 5 grands will give it away for cheap at Ebay.

You can contact me if you find such a cheap offer! I have no problem to get a nice animation tool for cheap. I just cannot imagine that this is possible.

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 08:53

I dunno, maybe EBAY is wrong on this. Took link down just in case.

That's where I got it though was through EBAY.

Loco

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 08:57

This is the student version, you cannot use it commercially.

And this is strange:
"...the DVD may contain a serial number or reg. key, the seller make no warranty or guarantee that any attempts at registration would be successful"

Re: Initial Speed Tree test in 3DGS - 05/27/09 09:04

Yeah, thanks for making me rethink the use of this. It was a great tool for converting fbx file formats to 3DGS, but didn't realize I might have been using it improperly. As far as it's animating tools, they were nice, but not very portable/compatable with other programs, so I never used them, even though I learned how they worked, just FYI.

Going to be hard to give up using it now, dang it, back to the drawing board I guess. I better delete the how to use it above before others fall into the trap which might not be legal.

Thanks,
Loco
© 2024 lite-C Forums