Harry Potter World - Design Document

Posted By: Blade280891

Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/15/08 01:36

This is only my first try at the design document, and it is my idea as some may know for my project.
Please read it and post creative criticisms only.
New design documents
Thanks
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/15/08 07:28

A little off-topic, but providing it as a .pdf would be nice.
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/15/08 10:42

Hey Blade, some information:
- You pan cutscenes for the reptile house, the light house and Kings Cross. These locations have never been playable from the ancient harry potter games, thus I think you should indeed integrate them in your game wink
Posted By: FlorianP

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/15/08 12:50

Looks like a feature-list
  • cool effects
  • revolutionary gameplay
  • realistic physics

What do you want us to criticise?

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 01:19

@FlorianP you must have trouble reading, because i did say
Quote:

Please read it and post creative criticisms only.

So therefor that must mean that if you have no criticism to post then don't post?
I don't see how than might of confused you.

The document if so people can see what i want to include in the game, and criticise on the actual document or the ideas i have.
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 02:43

What you have written are some more or less ordered thoughts. That's nothing to do with a design document. A design document is a detailed description of the game mechanics, locations and quests. You mentioned some locations but thats all. "There are mini games" is too less for a game mechanics description. Overall the document is much too abstract and looks more like an advertising brochure than a specification.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 03:03

I doubt then you that you read anything after the bit that says there are mini games, that provides some details about the mini-quests and games that there will be in the first chapter of the game. It seems people on this forum are having trouble reading.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 03:59

Originally Posted By: Blade28081991
It seems people on this forum are having trouble reading.

It seems people on this forum are having trouble accepting positively meant criticism. I read through your whole document in order to help you with feedback. There is not a single description of one of those minigames. A design document is a specification, that describes your gameplay in detail. The general remark of the existence of these games is not sufficient, even if you name the benefits of winning them. You need to describe the baseic interface of the game and how the user or player is expected to interact with the game system in detail. I'll give you an example:

Minigame Nr. 1 is called xyz. This minigame is being started whenever the player does xyz. The game starts with xyz. A screen is shown with a grid on it. There are four types of symbols on the grid. The symbols are as follows: 1. a 2. b 3. c 4. d In order to win the game the player is expected to do this and that with the symbols. He wins the game when condition xyz is reached. Incase xyz happens the game is lost. The player is then punished with xyz.

It's that much of detail that is expected of a design document. For all minigames occuring and much more important even for the main game.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 15:41

If you read through it you would see that the mini-games are referenced and described, the reason every single detail of them is not written down is because:
One, it is due to change depending on coding restraints and time,
Two, as you would know if you read it that the document is the first draft, i never once said it was completed.
Yes i was looking for creative criticism, but that is more than what you wrote which in basic said "This is not a design document, it is just ideas."
Although if you think about it that is what a design document is , it is ideas which you want to make into a game.
Also the mini-games are detailed enough to get a drift of what they are, for example the lessons are mini-games. Also there will be things like quidditch, which i will not write a detailed description about as the game is a fan game and intended for fans, therefore they will know what qudditch is.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 15:53

If you read through it you would see

That's the second time you impute having not read the document to me. I think this is rather unkind. Especially when peoplae actually do read through YOUR stuff in order to provide YOU feedback.

Quote:
One, it is due to change depending on coding restraints and time.

Software and Software Specification are always subject to heavy changes. But "the specification could change so I'd rather not write it at all" is a rather bad argument.

Quote:
I never once said it was completed.

You're never once said it was incomplete. But then if you say that your document could be part of a specification, well then great job. This could really be part of design document.

Quote:
Also there will be things like quidditch, which i will not write a detailed description about as the game is a fan game and intended for fans, therefore they will know what qudditch is.

Fans won't read through your document. The will most probably play your game. Btw. it is a common mistake to not write things down as you think everybody know what xyz is. The goal of a design document is to specify the games content in detail to avoid misunderstandings and the document should be understandable by all types of people.
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 16:26

I don't want to sound unkind or anything but to get more people (at least me) to read your document, you maybe should provide a .pdf version of it (as I already mentioned).
I would really like to read it and give feedback, if I can provide any usefull that is, but I personally will not read it if its a doc or docx file wink

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 17:27

Yeah, sorry Xarthor i was going to ask if someone could maybe make a .pdf version or provide me with details on how to make one using word or similar.

And thank you Uhrwerk i will take what you said into account and add more to the document. I am planning on adding the story next, it will just be the main storyline and not contain the character dialog.
@Uhrwerk Sorry about coming across as rude or whatever, just because my previous thread about this game i got personal insults and un-constructive or helpful comments.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 19:24

Here is a .pdf version, thanks to Uhrwerk for creating it.
New design documents
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 19:54

You set your goals quite high for a "fan project".
At least some lines make me think so
"ultimate HP experience" (well no doubt that you are highly motivated, but keep in mind that you, compared with HP gaem devs, are no professional in game development)
"travel to all places in the book" (game development implies creating worlds with places worth or necessary to travel to, but huge useless maps into the last detail are no great "feature", only a tremendous amount of work of which I doubt you'll be able to create in well quality for the time it would need to do so)
"all charactera of the movie and books plus your own" (I think only this task would take a full year of intense work of a good modeller - and animator)

I think you should cut down your goals to a realistic minimum and set yourself a time plan to make a fist game with only a few of what you mentioned.
Especally when you're new to game development I really adive you to start learning with a smaller bit since a rule states that at least your first 3 game dev projects are trash (because you simply don't have a feeling for what is really importand and what is not).

Without your, in my oppinion, much too high goals in the first part of the decoument, the rest reads quite well, but as I said before, keep it down or you'll be frustrated sooner or later.

Fare-thee-well

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 20:22

Thanks.
"ultimate HP experience", this is because most harry potter fans or just games fan will agree that movie games are normally rushed and not very long. This makes me want to make a game that isn't limited to what is in the movie, and that isn't as long as the movie is.

I agree that "travel to all places in the book" may be a bit of a high standard, although i am planning on making cut scenes for the game for non-fans can understand the story, this way i will have most of the locations from the books made just for the cut scenes, so i will most likely just make it so the player can walk around them.

"all characters of the movie and books plus your own", yes this will take a while, but most of the students will just be made from one mesh with different skins and a few alterations. The only characters that will have to be made specially are the main one's.

Yes i do agree about the time plan etc. and i am planning on doing that, once i have planned out the whole of the first game i will make a time plan and make myself stick to it, then i will start modeling the basic levels and try and get an alpha together. I will most likely make it a public alpha for fans to play and comment on what should be improved.

To be honest the only bit i am worried about is the fact that i am not a experienced lite-c coder, and that i am not the most experienced modeler. I believe Hogwarts and quidditch mini-game will take the longest to make.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/16/08 21:55

I see, well I thought you're not too depp into coding. I may be wrong for game dev in common, but I create my levels based on my programming knowlegde to optimize structures of level design and code that interact with each other for solutions that bring up as few problems as possible (=> lowest programming effort, or formally know as the "minimum principle"). I guess you could run into heavy problems when you start with design, since you'll notice that you gotta change a lot when you start coding and the problems how to bring both into one "boat" occur.

Start with the code, and create your levels around the code. You'll have to do that anyway, but starting with design will result in design -> code -> redesign.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/17/08 00:01

Yeah, i mean i am very experienced in web coding and can do some application programming, but stuff like AI etc. I am not sure how i will be, depends on whether i can find some time to learn some more lite-c.
The main thing i am wanting to get perfect will be the magic casting system, actually i am stuck on ideas for that if anyone has any they want to suggest. My idea was to have a few dots on the screen for each spell and the person clicks on each one to perform the wand movement, but in the same sense i wanted to have it continuous.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/17/08 17:53

Well as I develop 3D games and have my own browsergame online I can tell you the differences.

The biggest difference is the step from "single shot" codes to a 4 dimensional (yes 4D, that's the tricky point) way of thinking and getting everything straight with framerate compensation not only for the current frame but also for acceleration (or wave attenuation), thus movements that develop beyond one frame.

Second are effects, maybe you wanna take a look at my game starbattle to learn some stuff abount effects (but it is programmed in C-Script).
Or watch the video to get some ideas.

Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/17/08 18:14

Blade, I have NOT read you GDD but I do have a question:

You do realize that fan games are illegal?
Even if you release it for free, it is illegal to use another persons copyright without their permission. As I'm going to assume you do NOT have WB or JKR's permission to use the HP IP, then I suggest you start designing your own game instead of basing it off of something you will never be able to make.

It is easy to create a world with wizards and monsters and it doesn't have the HP label on it.

Just an FYI before you spend too much time designing a game that is illegal.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/17/08 18:31

In normal case the don't care a [censored] about that and big companies won't bring you to court for that. If they are really insulted by a fan project they write a letter and give you the chance to stop it / switch it offline and you will get in no trouble if you do so.

For my game Starbattle I used sprites from Namco VS Capcom and nobody knows / cares, I remade Final Fantasy VIII's minigame Chocobo World and even applied to work for sqauresoft once and mentioned it as a reference and nobody cared.

Where you really have to be careful is when you mess with "unknown little people", they try to get your last gold coin for the slightest copyright isult.

Big companies don't, it would draind too much of their good name if it was brought to the news.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/17/08 18:31

Read the document.
Here we go:

1) Document Length: a six page document is not a Design Document. It is called a high concept or treatment at best. If you are designing any game it should take about 20 pp. Any less and it is impossible to fully detail what the game should look like and play like.

2) Overview: Says nothing about the game. Says alot about HP (please see my post above about illegally using IP) but nothing about gameplay. As others have pointed out, this line "the player will also be able to use magic at any time, and as the game progresses, the
character will learn new spells." is saying nothing more than what happened in the book; it doesn't point towards any original or derivative gameplay.

Furthermore, here you repeat yourself "[...]character will learn new spells. During his time at Hogwarts, he can explore the whole castle, learn
new spells in fun mini-games and brew exciting potions." and once again state you will learn spells and brew potions.

The reader at this stage has the following question: what is a special about your game? From your description, it sounds exactly like the HP games that are already out there.

3) Characters: this is fine for a high concept, but not enough for a design document. In a GDD, you would go into more detail on each individual character. You say you can play HP... well so far I still don't know what the gameplay is!

4) Plot: please see my warning about IP. You CANNOT use the IP story nor modify it for your own projects, even if free or fan based.

5) Locations: This is actually done well. Sticking with only the first book gives you a realistic set of locations. However, you need to describe the locations better. Are you doing the whole castle, or just bits. ARe you doing all of hogsmeade or just the Boars inn...etc

6)Mini Quests: there is some problem with language. You refer to the below categories as mini quests but then talk about mini games. Never include something in a design document that isn't referenced somewhere else. AS others have point out, you've made a passing nod to a "lessons mini game" but have no solid description of what that is. It could be a multiple choice test, it could be a tetris game, it could be anything and a design document is supposed to be so it's not anything, it's something.

(EDIT: confusion. Your organization on this section is poor. I don't know if the mini quests are lessons and quidditch or what. After reading through a few times I get it, but trust me, people will not spend this time trying to decipher what you mean)

6.1?) Lessons: as others have said, you've made no mention of what this game will play like. You state how to make a potion (get recipie, gather ingredients, make potion) but that is not a game, that's a description from the book! I'm afraid all your lessons suffer this problem: they describe the actions as per the book but give no equivalent gameplay descritption. It's fine to know how they do it in the book but that has nothing to do with how you want to do it in the game.

6.2?) Quidditch: I'm assuming quidditch is the second mini game. Here again, you mention the game as per the book but no mention of how we will play it in your game.

7) Collectables: I don't know if this is a miniquest or not, but what do these collectables do in the game? For example, gather the pieces for the wizard chess game. Can you then play wizard chess? It's not mentioned anywhere so I don't know!

Conclusion:
This is not a design document. And I will leave you with the main reason why: after reading the entire things, I STILL don't know if this is a RPG, FPS, RTS, Action, Adventure, what! I have NO idea what type of game it is! I know I play HP, but that's about it. As well, there is not even a keyboard map. Something as simple as arrow keys to move, "i" for inventory, "r" to run, etc not only solidifies your gameplay but also gives insight into the type of game (a RPG will have a different keyset than a RTS and FPS, etc...).

Recommendation:
1) create a 5 minute walkthrough. Describe what the player would see and DO in teh first five minutes in the world. This is also a good oppurtunity to hash out a tutorial. The walkthrough will give everyone a better idea of what the game will play and look like.
2) Choose ONE location and ONE character and ONE spell and ONE lesson and ONE...etc... and develop that and that alone. Ignore the rest of the HP world (as a matter of fact, ignore HP all together) and focus only on ONE thing to fully detail what your game would be like in this limited instance. Once you've succesfully done that (success means that a person can read your description and know how the game will play)

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/17/08 18:47

Quote:
"In normal case the don't care a [censored] about that and big companies won't bring you to court for that."

As this forum is full of aspiring game designers, the issue is not "can I get away with it?" but rather "am I doing something illegal?".

You are right; most game companies don't know or turn a blind eye to IP infringement. But that doesn't change the fact that if you use copyrighted material, you are either: a) unoriginal enough to use your own material, b) cheap enough that you don't want to pay for your own matieral, or b) lazy enough that you don't want to take the time to make up your own material.

The ONLY reason to use IP material (like capcom or HP) is because you are "borrowing" the success these material had, the recognizability of their product, and using it for your own goals. In other words, since you can't come up with good material on your own (you in the general, not specific to any forum member), you use someone else so when they see the game, they don't focus on your bad game, but the good IP. wink

Quote:
"Big companies don't, it would draind too much of their good name if it was brought to the news. "

It's an even bigger drain on their good name if an inexperienced person makes a poor HP game, advertised it as a HP game, and then people and the news think that this is a licenced HP game. Ironically, you are correct that the better the game, the less the IP holder will complain. Free advertising right? But since "good" is in the eye of the beholder, the "little man" or the "big person" may take offense to your game and ask you to shut down at any time, even if they turned a blind eye to it for years.

Bottom line: You should not take silence to be persmission. If you don't have upfront permission to use someones IP, then it's illegal to do so.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/17/08 18:58

Quote:
Start with the code, and create your levels around the code. You'll have to do that anyway, but starting with design will result in design -> code -> redesign.

HORRIBLE advice.

To rephrase your quote:...but starting with code will result in code-> design -> recode.

Example 1: you code a level. You realize late in the coding that you need a day/night system. Now I ask you, how hard will it be to recode the game to include a system that wasn't included in your original code?

Example 2: you design a level. You realize late in the design that your levels need a day/night system. Same question: how hard will it be to redesign your document to include an day/night system?

Now examine both example: Re-writing a design document is way easier than re-writing code. If you are going to make a game, get the game on paper as solidly as you can to make sure that the idea is viable, possible, manageable, etc and then base the code around that. If you start with code, then you are making stuff at random, hoping that your game will fit around it.

Note that this is true if you are working alone or in a team. Things always look great in our head; it's when it gets outside of our head that reality bitch slaps you. In this case, I'd rather be slapped with editing a word doc over reprogramming code.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/17/08 19:11

Here's a little extra.

This is the TOC from my GDD.

Physics Adventure in Space-Time -- Massively Multiplayer Online Game Design Document

Please note that it's a MMOGDD and thus the 100 pp. is just the start. Once I "fill out" the data, it should get to 400-500pp. At that point, the GDD will be "almost" done. wink

Also note how I'm starting with a 3 pp. summary; then go into a little more detail about the game spending a page or two on the big areas of the game; then we go into deep detail about the specific game systems; and we end with a series of tables outlining every item, location, ability, etc that will go into the database.

Please use this TOC as an example of some of the things you might want to have on your own or how to organize your own.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/17/08 20:12

Quote:

A six page document is not a Design Document.
It is called a high concept or treatment at best.
If you are designing any game it should take about 20 pp.
Any less and it is impossible to fully detail what the game should look like and play like.

It is not completed, as i have said before.
Quote:

Says nothing about the game.
Says alot about HP (please see my post above about illegally using IP) but nothing about gameplay.
As others have pointed out, this line "the player will also be able to use magic at any time, and as the game progresses, the
character will learn new spells."
is saying nothing more than what happened in the book; it doesn't point towards any original or derivative gameplay.

is saying nothing more than what happened in the book;
Could that be, do you think, because it is based from the book? Just a thought.
What would you want it to say, maybe something totally different from the book?
I believe what you might be saying, although badly wrote, is that i have not gone in to detail how the game will play out.
Quote:

Furthermore, here you repeat yourself "[...]character will learn new spells. During his time at Hogwarts, he can explore the whole castle, learn
new spells in fun mini-games and brew exciting potions." and once again state you will learn spells and brew potions.
The reader at this stage has the following question: what is a special about your game?
From your description, it sounds exactly like the HP games that are already out there.

That just shows that you haven't played any of the other harry potter games. For one all the other harry potter games are based on the movies
not the books, and therefore they are normally quite short and in my opinion not as fun as one based on the books would be.

Quote:

Characters: this is fine for a high concept, but not enough for a design document.
In a GDD, you would go into more detail on each individual character.
You say you can play HP... well so far I still don't know what the gameplay is!

I will be going into details about some of the characters.

Quote:

Plot: please see my warning about IP. You CANNOT use the IP story nor modify it for your own projects, even if free or fan based.

So what? As already said do you really think company's care, if so why haven't people who made versions of sonic or Pokemon been sued.
Because it's not for commercial use, and they will most likely only make a tiny bit of money.
Also in your previous post you mentioned Warner bro's, and not having permission. Yet Warner bro's don't own any rights at all over the books except exclusivity for films.

Quote:

Locations: This is actually done well. Sticking with only the first book gives you a realistic set of locations.
However, you need to describe the locations better. Are you doing the whole castle, or just bits.
ARe you doing all of hogsmeade or just the Boars inn...etc

What i have wrote in the document in locations for the first book is what there is, when i said Hogwarts i mean the whole of the castle, etc.

Quote:

Mini Quests: there is some problem with language.
You refer to the below categories as mini quests but then talk about mini games.
Never inlude something in a design document that isn't referenced somewhere else.
AS others have point out, you've made a passing nod to a "lessons mini game" but have no solid description of what that is.
It could be a multiple choice test, it could be a tetris game,
it could be anything and a design document is supposed to be so it's not anythingit's something.

there is some problem with language Maybe you should read what you just posted if you think there is a problem with my language?
So what if i called one bit a mini game and one a mini quest, the quests are indented in the menu to show what ones are mini-quests, and the quidditch is a mini-game.
About the lessons if you read below you can see that i mention a bit about how each lesson is going to be played out.
Quote:

(EDIT: confusion. Your organization on this section is poor. I don't know if the mini quests are lessons and quidditch or what. After reading through a few times I get it, but trust me, people will not spend this time trying to decipher what you mean)

No one else has complained or had trouble, maybe it's just you?

Quote:

Lessons: as others have said, you've made no mention of what this game will play like. You state how to make a potion (get recipie, gather ingredients, make potion) but that is not a game, that's a description from the book! I'm afraid all your lessons suffer this problem: they describe the actions as per the book but give no equivalent gameplay descritption. It's fine to know how they do it in the book but that has nothing to do with how you want to do it in the game.

Then you have misread this section because it is not a description of how it is done in the book, in fact it isn't done like that in the book.
It is a description of how each lesson will play out in general.

Quote:

Quidditch: I'm assuming quidditch is the second mini game. Here again, you mention the game as per the book but no mention of how we will play it in your game.

That is because it is a Work-In-Progress.

Quote:

Collectables: I don't know if this is a miniquest or not, but what do these collectables do in the game?
For example, gather the pieces for the wizard chess game.
Can you then play wizard chess? It's not mentioned anywhere so I don't know!

Collectibles are just things to collect when you want to, they are not compulsory but just something than can earn some extra stuff to do.
For example, gather the pieces for the wizard chess game.
Can you then play wizard chess?

Yes that is planned, and for some other stuff there will be content unlocked like the making off the game.

Quote:

Conclusion:
This is not a design document.
And I will leave you with the main reason why: after reading the entire things,
I STILL don't know if this is a RPG, FPS, RTS, Action, Adventure, what! I have NO idea what type of game it is!
I know I play HP, but that's about it.
As well, there is not even a keyboard map.
Something as simple as arrow keys to move, "i" for inventory, "r" to run,
etc not only solidifies your gameplay
but also gives insight into the type of game (a RPG will have a different keyset than a RTS and FPS, etc...).

Things like controls will be mentioned later on but it is more important for the other information i have done to be completed first and the technical stuff after.
And the game type is going to be more or less a kind of RPG but with some FPS aspects hopefully.

Quote:

Recommendation:
create a 5 minute walkthrough.
Describe what the player would see and DO in teh first five minutes in the world.
This is also a good oppurtunity to hash out a tutorial.
The walkthrough will give everyone a better idea of what the game will play and look like.

Thanks, i will do that.
Quote:

Choose ONE location and ONE character and ONE spell and ONE lesson and ONE...etc... and develop that and that alone.
Ignore the rest of the HP world (as a matter of fact, ignore HP all together) and focus only on ONE thing to fully detail what your game would be like in this limited instance.
Once you've succesfully done that (success means that a person can read your description and know how the game will play)

Ok, will try that.
Thanks for the crit's i believe i have managed to respond to your crits quite well.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/17/08 22:06

@fastlane69

I guess it depends on the size of the project. If I was the head of EA Games for example I would expect that 99,9% of the fan projects never reach a playable stage and would just wait for one flashing out of the junk.
But then if it really got potential you can still make a deal and franchise their ideas.

For me it is just a hobby, write some code and make little games to play with my friends and stuff. Something that small will not bringt them up to the barracades, BUT I divide between those projects and my browsergame, which is 100% self made with the intention to earn money with in the future. If I used my other projects to gain players for the browsergame I'd be in trouble. So you (you in general) can judge for your self I think.

Your counter to my advice is quite good, maybe I was too short in my explanations.

Of course I started with some modelling and level design, but not for a game in the beginning. Then I wanted to maek a game with 2 friends of mine and we still had no clue about the code and created and created worlds, just to see we have no use for them in the end.
So, with the gained knowledge, we started making small codes and build some test maps only with what is necessary to test the coded features. this continued for quite a long time and I, again, realized this will never have a result.
Now I took both, level and scripting knowlegde and thought about a system combining both in a way that eleminates all heavy problems.
Some of them:
- Performance with huge maps
- Level border without having high mountains everywhere
- Too much code for character interaction (walk, swim, jump, climb etc.)
- Pathfinding
and so on.

Based on those "problems" I created a structure in my mind.
- Isometric view (high performance even with highly detailed maps and no need for level borders)
- Character movement only on ground and shallow water, no swimming, jumping or something else. (plain, invisible wmb supported, collision structures)
- "Open land" to cut pathfinding down to circle around trees or somthing like that.
(just a few examples and not too much into detail)

With those things in Mind, and planning is one of the most importand parts as it saves you a lot of time, I had a concept that gave me intense programming work for 6 months and I was able to create more than the whole 3 years before. After that, I started creating the first map and threw away the test map.

It took then part in a GS contest known as "Dragonrise" and was judged as "almost winner with high potential".

*phew*
I hope my intended way of showing how my start was got a bit more clear now? ^^

Oh btw. atm I'm working on the 3rd Dragonrise Demo. ^^

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 03:37

Quote:
I believe what you might be saying, although badly wrote, is that i have not gone in to detail how the game will play out.

That pretty much sums up your document. What you have is a synopsis of the first HP book. It contains no unique or original information, nothing that you can say "I came up with that. That is my original idea."

In short, all your document is saying is: "I want to make a Harry Potter game."
That's it. Everything else is a summary.

And as for the HP IP, all I can say is tKarma's a bitch. If you don't respect other peoples IP, people will not respect your's. And if you make it that far, in time when you come up with something original you won't have a leg to stand on when others rip off your ideas for their purposes.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 03:40

Quote:
just to see we have no use for them in the end.

This shows the difference between an engineer and an artist. An engineer want to see how a system works... what are it's limits... how efficient you can make it run. For what purpose? Doesn't matter or that will be determined later.

An artist on the other hand doesn't care about the system, they have something in mind. The "vision" you hear about. They will then seek out anything possible to get that vision made, irregardless of tech.

Applied to this situation, if you are making a game, you have to be both artist and engineer, of that there is no doubt. However, if you are making a game, this intrinsicly means that you have to start with the Artist side, the vision, what it is you want to DO. Then you can engineer the system to make it work but if you don't have vision, you are not making a game, you are merely "making levels".

Please don't take this as meaning your approach is not good. It is. For engineering. But not for a Game Design Document and not to make a game, for that requires more than just that line of thinking.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 15:18

Quote:
That pretty much sums up your document. What you have is a synopsis of the first HP book. It contains no unique or original information, nothing that you can say "I came up with that. That is my original idea."

Again this proves you have not read the first harry potter book.
There are my own ideas in there, maybe you should read the book and not just watch the film?
Quote:

In short, all your document is saying is: "I want to make a Harry Potter game."
That's it. Everything else is a summary.

Again i should remind you that IT ISN'T FINISHED nor did i say it was.
And it really does say more than that.

Also i don't believe in karma and i truly doubt any one would call making a fan game "ripping off IP". If you really believe that then you also believe anyone making a fan site or any sort of fan game for anything are ripping off IP and cannot think of ideas, and even more think they will be ripped.

I really doubt it!
Posted By: Tachys

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 17:57

Blade...

In all honesty, you came here, and asked people to post their constructive criticism of your design doc.

Fastlane hes weighed in with the most complete crtique of your work, and while you did take some of it to heart, most his critique, as well as others, you seem to be taking way too personally.

My crit is pretty much in the same line as theirs: even unfinished, it is a whopping 7 pages long, but only really has three full pages of text describing what this game is supposed to be.

Lets go through it piece by piece, and please, I do understand that 'it isn't finished', so if/when you respond, refrain from going down that route:

Overall:

- Dot the "i"'s

The document as a whole could use a run through a spell/grammar check. This is your 'baby', treat it as something equally precious to you.

The purpose of a design doc is to get your idea across to the party across the table and draw them in, making them believe that your project is something worth investing in, be that in time, resources or money. Nothing will put someone off more than seeing what should be spit-shine polished in front of them, and it looks like you spent 5 minutes typing it up, errors and all.

Prime example: In the very first sentence of the document, you have 4 spelling errors. Harry Potter may be a fictional character, but his name is still a proper noun and should be capitalized, as should the name of the game, since it is a title.

- Details

This has been hit on before. If I were a publisher, investor, or freelance developer who was looking for something to do just for the hell of it, I would want to know that the project I am considering spending my time, money, resources or talent on is going to be directed by a person who has a crystal clear vision of what they want to accomplish.

You have to write this with a specific target audience in mind: the clueless. You have to assume that, no matter how popular the subject matter or concept is, the person who is holding your document has absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Get specific about everything, especially (and most importantly) the things that make your game or idea unique.

- Consistency

There are a couple of things that glare at me in this regard. The first, in your overview, you state that this project is going to encompass the ground covered in ALL the books, and later pull back that scope to one book at a time. Another one is Quidditch. You state, under lessons, that once the player completes the flying lesson, they will unlock the ability to play Quidditch as a mini-game, yet later, under collectables, you say that finding all the pieces to the Quidditch set will unlock it... which is it?

This goes hand in hand with details, as you have to ensure that while you delve into the details to a sufficient depth to make everything understandable and interesting, you don't get so caught up and confused by them that you forget to keep them straight in several different areas of the document.

I'll leave you with this, as this really needs a lot more meat on it's bones to be a design document... It really reads more like the writing on the back of a game box, that gets the player hooked into picking up the game and buying it, than it does as a vehicle to convey a dream or vision of grand scope.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 18:13

Quote:

There are a couple of things that glare at me in this regard. The first, in your overview, you state that this project is going to encompass the ground covered in ALL the books, and later pull back that scope to one book at a time. Another one is Quidditch. You state, under lessons, that once the player completes the flying lesson, they will unlock the ability to play Quidditch as a mini-game, yet later, under collectibles, you say that finding all the pieces to the Quidditch set will unlock it... which is it?

First off, yes it does encompass the ground covered in all the books but when creating it and in the DD i am breaking it down book by book so as not to show locations or story etc. too early in the game.
With the quidditch once you complete the flying lesson you will be able to play it in game, like in the book. But! once you find all the collectible Quidditch pieces you will be able to play it outside the game as a game on it's own. It will be in the main menu.

I have not taken any of what fastlane69 said to heart, i just replied to his criticisms.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 18:18

The whole idea of an design document is to explain the game/setting/ambient/environment to people who don't know anything about it.

That IS the whole point, and if you don't accept that, you can call it a description or whatever but not a design document.

And don't take things SO personally, DUH!

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 18:23

When someone implies they have it is a justified comment.
Posted By: Tachys

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 18:56

and again... you miss the whole forest for the tree you are staring at.

It has been said time and time again that you need to go over everything in fine detail in order for this to come close to being a design document.

If it encompasses the whole series, then that is what you are writing the DD for... the whole series. You can break it down internally to what is covered each book, but write the thing to cover the whole series.

Get over the fact that you are writing this about a known, hugely popular fiction series. That, my friend, is irrelevant.

What is relevant, is the fact that you do not, as it stands, have anything resembling a design document. People are telling you reasons why it isn't one, and you are still focused on that tree with 'you ain't read the books, so whaddyou know 'bout it?' engraved on it.

Instead of getting defensive about it, think on the things that have been said, incorporate them into your document and make it grow into what you are wanting it to be, instead of leaving it stunted.
Posted By: jigalypuff

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 18:58

wow a one page doc and 4 pages dedicated to it smile is it not possible for blade to actually make a post without it getting carried away? I do agree the design doc is not complete, and tbh i doubt it ever will be as i doubt this project will get very far. I say this as i have worked on a fan game (trek one) and four years on it is still not finished. However good luck to you blade, but before you start another thread try to have the following, a few textured buildings, a basic level layed out with those buildings in, perhaps then you will not get so much flax smile

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 19:10

@jigalypuff, it seems anytime i try to post anything people seem want to get slightly carried away. But o'well.

I am working on the document and have changed the structure of it and made it similar to fastlanes example one. But it will not be finished for a long time and i am not going to put production on hold for it. What i will do is try and finish as much of the document that is needed to do the first chapter, and carry on like that.

Design Document headings - 11/18/08 19:30

Ok, i have the following headings for the design document.
Quote:

Introduction
The Game: Detailed

Chapter one, Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
Chapter Two, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Chapter three, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Chapter four, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Chapter Five, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Chapter Six, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Chapter Seven, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow

The system: Detailed

The Magic

But am at a stuck for what to put under some of them.
I have got a few subtitles under them.
Any ideas on what should go under them.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 19:44

Quote:
There are my own ideas in there, maybe you should read the book and not just watch the film?

Let's assume this is true and I have never read the books.
This is a good exercise for you cannot assume when working with licensed IP that people will know what you are talking about or it's details.

Thus, assuming I've never read teh HP books, what in the document are your oringial ideas? Please list them...

Re: Design Document headings - 11/18/08 19:46

Quote:
Ok, i have the following headings for the design document.

Quote:

Introduction

Chapter Two, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Chapter three, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Chapter four, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Chapter Five, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Chapter Six, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Chapter Seven, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow

The Magic

Too big. You should put ALL the focus on the document merely on the first book. Then, the game detailed become not about book chapters but about the game. Realize that if you design a solid system first, you can then add whatever content you want and make multiple games.

Take my motto to heart: "Dream Big; start small".

I know the feeling of wanting to do everything at once. But I assure you that one book is PLENTY hard to do.

Re: Design Document headings - 11/18/08 19:50

Ok these are the new titles, but still i am at a lost for what to put in them. I have a few things but not many.

Quote:

Introduction
Overview
Gamplay
walkthrough

The Magic

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/18/08 19:51

Quote:
i truly doubt any one would call making a fan game "ripping off IP".

Let's see:
You are using the IP for your own purposes but...
...you don't own the IP...
...you've not bought the IP...
...the IP is not on public domain...
...you've not been given permission to use the IP and..
...you've not asked for permission to use the IP.

What exactly do you call this then if not "ripping off"?

Oh, and if that doesn't stick, replace "IP" for "car":

You are using a Car for your own purposes but...
...you don't own the Car...
...you've not bought the Car...
...the Car is not on public domain...
...you've not been given permission to use the Car and..
...you've not asked for permission to use the Car.

So I'm NOT ripping off a car under this scenerio? laugh

Re: Design Document headings - 11/18/08 19:54

Quote:
but still i am at a lost for what to put in them. I

Here. Follow this thread. It's FULL of great GDD resources on the net and in books.

IGDA Forum -- "Any good examples of a design document?"

Re: Design Document headings - 11/18/08 19:56

Quote:

So I'm NOT ripping off a car under this scenario?

Look, if you really care about it so much why post?
The previous thread was locked because of people posting pointless posts, don't make it happen again.
I appreciate the help but i did not ask for your opinion on whether i should make the game or the Morales of making it.
Posted By: Error014

Re: Design Document headings - 11/18/08 20:15

Blade, I know I said I wouldn't post too much in your next thread, and I'm sorry, but it has to be said: Fastlane is one of the few users who really deserve their "Senior Expert"-title, and he has spent years on game design. He knows what he is talking about. He is offering you, with his critique, and the following posts here, the once-in-a-lifetime-chance to directly learn from someone knowing his stuff. You can choose to ignore what he says, but that means that you'll have to learn it all by yourself. This takes months, if not years. Please, use this chance. If you think comments are getting personal (again?), then react professionally. Just ignore the flames, and pick their comments apart. But always be honest with you!

Your document isn't finished, I believe we have established as much. But thats not to say that its bad - that you cerated such a document is a good step up from the other thread, and you're now doing better than a billion other people, who stumble about in the editor. But the document needs to explain to me, someone who can't see in your head, what your game will look like. How will it play, what do I see on the screen, etc. Its often hard to put in words at first what it is that you want to create, you often only see a vision, but it's important to think that out - it means that you have to make a few decisions, and often, thats a hard thing to do, but a clear, complete and good outlined design document will help you immensely. Plus, its much easier to plan and see how long its going to take with it. Ideally, if only given your document, I (or someone not knowing HP) would be able to create EXACTLY the game you're having in your head right now. (Okay, so maybe not exactly, but you might keep that idea in your head for now)

I ask you again, please, please take this chance. It might hurt now, but believe me, when I posted my first awesome project here and people tore it apart, it hurt more, because I invested more time into it without planning. So take the Design document seriously. Changes can and will happen, but the better you plan and think it through, the smaller these needed changes will be, hopefully.

As far as the legality goes, we already discussed this, no? smile Just remember this. (You may now argue that this was commercial and your game will be freeware, but it'd be easy to argue that your game is illegal. That, of course, doesn't mean "lawsuit", but consider that you actually have the chance of bringing your OWN universe to life - isn't that a lot more exciting?)

Maybe we really should create a "I want to create a game - How do I start?"-thread, that could be stickied, with helpful posts about Design-Docment-creation, etc. I know I could use that every once in a while! smile

By which I mean: Fastlane, please create topics and posts like these.

Re: Design Document headings - 11/18/08 21:20

I am not ignoring him, but i have decided i want to make it and i would appreciate not being told i shouldn't
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Design Document headings - 11/18/08 21:59

all I would like to see are like "footnotes" about the elements of the game, so also people who have never read or seen or heard about HP would know more:

"Harry Potter (a human, who was led to believe he was just a normal person until his XXth birthday and is the only person known to ever surviving the deadly XYZ spell) is the main caracter of the game"

"...to play Quidditch (a magic game, resembling basketball played on flying broomsticks. The game can be won if the Y of one team catches the X (a littel flying ABC) before the Y of the rivaling team does)"

"Hermione (one of the main characters best friends, and a very talented and intelligent young wizardess....) can be played in case the main character BLAHBLAH and then XYZ..."

That would increase the quality HUGELY.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Design Document headings - 11/18/08 22:18

Quote:
I am not ignoring him, but i have decided i want to make it and i would appreciate not being told i shouldn't
then goddamn DO IT and prove us all wrong, and don't crave for our appreciation of your documents and/or your ideas.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/19/08 07:51

Originally Posted By: fastlane69
Quote:

HORRIBLE advice.

To rephrase your quote:...but starting with code will result in code-> design -> recode.

Example 1: you code a level. You realize late in the coding that you need a day/night system. Now I ask you, how hard will it be to recode the game to include a system that wasn't included in your original code?

Example 2: you design a level. You realize late in the design that your levels need a day/night system. Same question: how hard will it be to redesign your document to include an day/night system?

Quote for truth.

By not knowing how to do better I created a game without ANY documentation. I programmed what came to my mind.
In the end it took me several years, I rewrote the whole code at least twice, I had not enough time to implement all the funny and cool features to make the game sth. outstanding and finally gamepaly didn't work out as imagined.

It's a no go.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/19/08 18:55

Well of course you gotta know what you actually want to do before you start doing just something.

"Start with" was more or less ment for the point where you know what you want and you are in front of the decission of creating levels first and look how you can bring them to life or you start with simpel test levels to create your functionallity and then just replace the environment when it works.

I think the second one is better because the environment can be replaced more easily.

Of course I had a quite specific vision in my mind when I started creating Dragonrise.
I had a basic storyline and my main characters and the important points of the story where those characters meet and what results from those situations.
On the other hand I was quite sure what kind of game system I want to have (well this slightly changed after 2 years, for better without having too much to change).

So based on this (storyline, characters and game system) I started making those technical thoughts I described above.

Maybe I just focused too much on the engineering part, but you're totally right that both are important and I guess I'm in a lucky situation since I'm an artist with pencil, brush and coal and studied arts in my free time and on the other hand I studied software engineering for 2 years at university.
And 3rd my father became a novel writer during the last years and I gained a lot of it, I think because of this I was able to create the storyline in detail now, which I was not able to in earlier years.

All in all I have to admit that creating your own world is a quite hard task because it needs much more than those thoughts you have as a gamer start with "Oh you know what would be a cool game?".

But my time for GS is running low because of my browser game with more than 2.000 registrations during the last 2.5 years. Well (character/level) modelling and animating for 3D projects takes a lot of time and is main reason why I will stop Dragonrise after the next demo, but if he takes some people into his boat to do the different jobs maybe he won't be slowed down by a singe task.

But Blade, I kind of know what situation you are in and judging your post you feel quite attacked or only disappointed because others are not like you saying "Oh my god, this is what I waited for since I read the fist book!".
In the beginning you're blinded by the vision of your own ideas and first creations and simply don't understand what those yerks actually have to critisize but... they are right and bring you up to the position where you are able to judge you project as neutral as they do.
Even harder it will be to accept critique about a system you invented by your self but which turns out not as good as expected, you'll be blinded by your idea, but others are not.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/19/08 19:09

@Blade

I just remembered that I made a manual for the second Dragonrise Demo, it is no design document but I think it covers some of what has been said because it describe a lot of stuff into detail covering different articles like controls, about the game, story background, walkthrough of the demo, further gameplay information, enemies etc.

I uploaded the web version of the manual for you.
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/20/08 02:15

Really.... this is getting out of hand.

A design document can really be anything a gamer wants it to be.

The more detailed the better, to be sure, but unless you plan to submit the idea to a publisher who will pay your way through production, you don't need to follow the exacting specifications commonly accepted as a 'true' design document.

If you know what you want to do, then the design document can be written as simply or as complicated as you wish.

It's YOUR game, do it however you want, and in a way that helps YOU.

So noone knows the full details of the game? Who cares? They'll know when it's finished, won't they?

Write your ideas down as you think of them so you don't forget them over time. That's all you really need to do.

But since noone here is offering to pay your way, you don't have to prove anything to anyone. Make it in a way that helps YOU.

Let the rest waste time argueing over who can make the best design document. You go make a game while they squabble over who has the most testosterone to vent in the forums.

With or without a design document, at least you'll have something to show when all is said and done.

You also are free to agree or disagree with any critiques, but don't waste time arguing about it. The finished product will speak for itself, good or bad.

- Jason
Posted By: FBL

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/20/08 08:44

Originally Posted By: ShoreVietam
Well of course you gotta know what you actually want to do before you start doing just something.

"Start with" was more or less ment for the point where you know what you want and you are in front of the decission of creating levels first and look how you can bring them to life or you start with simpel test levels to create your functionallity and then just replace the environment when it works.

I think the second one is better because the environment can be replaced more easily.

Of course I had a quite specific vision in my mind when I started creating Dragonrise.
I had a basic storyline and my main characters and the important points of the story where those characters meet and what results from those situations.
On the other hand I was quite sure what kind of game system I want to have (well this slightly changed after 2 years, for better without having too much to change).

So based on this (storyline, characters and game system) I started making those technical thoughts I described above.

I had a certain idea which suddenly came to my mind... over night so to say.
After thining more about it, I made a list of levels and features, without technical details.
Later I figured out the battle system in fact does not work out as great as expected. I had to change the controls, the speed of the game, the camera.
It worked better now, but still not good enough. Changed everything again, added new features I didn't think of before hoping making the gampelay better.
The whole menu system was redone at least 3 times graphic wise. The problem was I had soemthign cool in mind and it was great, but regardless what I tried, I was not able to recreate it completely.

My luck is I that I did the final level details after everything else was finsihed. I had a set of 4 levels with different features I used for testing. The longer I worked on it, the more I realized that I shoudl wait with graphics, as it will all look old if I need so long for coding wink

At the end I got more as I expected, but still - there are better ways to do.
Probably the best thing was experiencing how to NOT do things. Now I know better.

aybe someone can move this discussion to a separate thread? I think it's very interesting.

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/20/08 10:13

Thanks for the advice so far.
And here is a design document thread for more discussion on what makes a good one.
http://www.coniserver.net/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=237481#Post237481

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 11/20/08 21:32

@Firoball

I totally agree with you. I got a good book about game dev with quotes and explanations of a couple of game devs from big companies like blizzard. Somewhere they say that you first x games are crap and after thinking about it, I saw it was true (looking at all of my first games). It just takes some time to get a feeling for
- gameplay / controls
- design
- what you are able to do from a technical point of view
- how everything works together (being able to see how things will turn out)

You could add the story, but not every game needs one and most are not finished that far but the game itself is functional on a certain degree. :-P

Re: Harry Potter World - Design Document - 12/07/08 23:32

I have been very busy with college lately but have been thinking of ideas for the game. I have just began writing a kinda walkthrough for the first level of the game.

Here it is
Quote:

Before the first level there will be a few cut scenes and onscreen text introducing you to the world of Harry Potter and to how he got to Diagon Alley.

Tutorial – The Death of Lily and James Potter
This level will be where you can play as Lord Voldermort. You will begin by starting outside lily and James Potter’s house, here you will be shown how to move and perform a spell that will destroy the front door of the house. Once this has been done you will need to enter the house and perform the killing curse on James Potter, then you will need to go upstairs (downstairs blocked by the broken door), once up stairs you will need to unlock the door using another spell then you see a cut scene in which Voldermort kills Lily Potter and tries to kill Harry Potter but the spell backfires and blasts Voldermort down the stairs.

Level 1 – Diagon Alley
This level starts at the entrance to the leaky cauldron pub. You will then see Hagrid and Harry enter the pub and Hagrid walk to the bar, you will then have control over Harry and are able to walk around the pub and talk to the characters. To proceed to the next area you need to walk to Hagrid and begin a conversation with him, he will then introduce Professor Quirrell to you. You will then be led, by Hagrid, outside to the back where he will reveal the entrance to Diagon Alley. Now you will see the long winding street of Diagon Alley, once the cut scene showing Diagon Alley finishes you will see Hagrid walk towards Gringotts bank, you will then regain control and be able to follow him, all the shop entrances will be blocked by crowds of people. Once you reach the bank and talk to Hagrid you will enter a cut scene where you enter the bank and the camera pans around it to show it off. Then the scene will show Hagrid and you approach the goblin and get escorted to the cart. Once in the cart you regain control of yourself, here your job is to steer the cart, when it begins you will be going slowly and have a lot of time to steer as you get further in the cart will gain more speed making it harder to steer. The direction to turn will be indicated on sign posts on the track with the vault numbers on, therefore you must remember what vault number you are going to. Once you have got to your vault there will be another cut scene of money being withdrawn, then you will be led to vault 713 (still in a cut scene) once you arrive you will be shown the vault unlocking and the package inside, then the screen will go black and you will appear back outside the bank. You will now be given a list of items you must purchase for school and be free to wander around Diagon Alley to purchase them from shops.
The items are;
Uniform:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)
This will all be purchased at in one store at one time

Books
The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)
A History of Magic
Magical Theory
A Beginners’ Guide to Transfiguration
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi
Magical Drafts and Potions
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection
This will also all be purchased in one at one place
Other
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales

Once you have collected all the above items (excluding wand) you will be given access to the wand shop Ollivander’s, but before you can go there you will need to meet Hagrid at the Owl Emporium to see a cut scene of him purchasing an owl for you then you can access Ollivander’s, here you will be given wands to try and be able to perform a simple spell to test them (this will act as a reminder how to use a wand). Once you have found the perfect wand you will need to meet Hagrid back at the leaky cauldron where there is a cut scene in which he will explain about Quidditch and the school houses. Once the cut scene is done the screen will again go black, and then say a month later. Now you will see yourself in Kings Cross Station and you will be free to walk around until you find the Weasley’s by the platform entrance. When you find them you will see a cut scene where Mrs. Weasley will tell you how to get onto the platform then you will see three of the four boys pass through the barrier to the platform and then it will be your turn, you will need to run into the wall, once you have passed the barrier you can walk around the platform before boarding the train, which to do you need to walk towards the train carriage door. Once you have boarded the train you can walk around the carriage and enter the empty compartment. Now another cut scene will occur.

© 2024 lite-C Forums