Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768

Posted By: JakeL

Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/16/09 16:34

Hey everyone!

I little while back another post inspired me to make a castle, so here it is. The castle was made in wed, so nothing too fancy is going on with geometry. It is made with a new castle texture pack I just finished.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/16/09 16:44

looks great man. Keep up the good work!
Posted By: GamerX

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/16/09 18:22

Nice, will you be selling castles like this? Textured or not, because soon i will be needing some medieval castles/buildings.
Posted By: VeT

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/16/09 18:35

looking nice, exept those square (the highest) towers, they are little unnatural smile

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/16/09 18:54

Quote:
Nice, will you be selling castles like this? Textured or not, because soon i will be needing some medieval castles/buildings.

I'm just selling the textures right now. I don't really have any plans to do a medieval building pack, but something like this shouldn't be too hard to find on like Turbosquid or something.

You could always hire me to make some for you. smile
Posted By: Quad

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/16/09 19:31

looks great for blocks. (some bump mapping on walls d look nicer.)

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/16/09 19:48

Quote:
looks great for blocks. (some bump mapping on walls d look nicer.)

Thanks!

This pack was made to be used specifically without surface shaders, but I do agree they would give it more pop. Maybe one day I'll make a castle with one of my normal map texture packs.
Posted By: Darkyyes

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/16/09 21:00

Nice work on the castle laugh
Really liked it smile
Posted By: croman

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/17/09 06:24

awesome castle created with blocks. i'm impressed
Posted By: ello

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/17/09 07:31

definately looking great!
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/17/09 10:13

well now remember... when using blocks.. the textures can have that fake normalmapping effect naturally...

Darker shadows and brighter brights render in almost 3D already when used on blocks. Just some changes to the contrast mostly with these textures can go a long way toward realism without the use of shaders.

Just something for people to remember ...

- Jason
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/17/09 11:31

Hpw long did you work this anyway? It looks veeerrrryyy huge, it makes me wonder, how huge is it measured in wed?? Does it have rooms inside?

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/17/09 17:58

Quote:
Hpw long did you work this anyway? It looks veeerrrryyy huge, it makes me wonder, how huge is it measured in wed?? Does it have rooms inside?

Took about a week to make all the textures. It is't a full castle, just a part of one. its about 2400 quants wide and 1600 quants deep. No there are no insides... maybe next time.

Quote:
well now remember... when using blocks.. the textures can have that fake normalmapping effect naturally...

Darker shadows and brighter brights render in almost 3D already when used on blocks. Just some changes to the contrast mostly with these textures can go a long way toward realism without the use of shaders.

Why would blocks fake this better than models?

While shadows and highlights can be baked quite effectively into a texture map replacing the surface normals completely gives a more effective representation of detailed shadowing with direct relationship to the lighing of a scene. Specular mapping enhances the effect further.

Be careful of making textures with too much contrast. This leads to all kinds of problems like aliasing and shadowing issues. The shadows in the textures seem to 'fight' the lighting of a scene. Better to create a texture with less shadowing that can be used in a greater variety of lighting situations.

What could really help this scene is better lighting. I just used the A7 sun. If i went crazy with smaller lights simulating radiosity or rendered it in MAX, I'm sure it could be better, but I'm done with the scene and on to other things. This was just for fun. I like castles.

Here's a crop of one of the textures which demonstrates what I believe to be a good compromise between shadowing and quality. Can't really see the detail in the textures in the shots.

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/17/09 22:34

well, what I mean is, normalmapping is certainly the best route with models as it has the most realistic effect...

But block levels... there's something about the rendering process that makes the highlight and shadows appear like different 'heights'.... it's a mild effect, but it's more of an effect than a wall made from a model with no normalmapping...

It's difficult to explain, if i have time I'll dig up or make the test level I made to test this phenomenon.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein had some great textures that worked this way, and i used them for testing purposes because I wanted to see if it worked in Gamestudio as well...

I agree about the contrast issues... I meant for textures like your example, where there is deepcracks and such... but it also works in other situations.

- Jason

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/17/09 23:12

Thanks Jason,

I'm intrigued now, so I'll do some tests of my own. My guess is that the effect you speak about relates to the standard material which is applied to blocks as opposed to the standard material which is applied to models. I’ll have to take a good luck at the differences between the materials.

Thanks to everyone for their nice comments about the castle!

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/18/09 01:24

I'm not trying to hijack your post, but here's a test room I made...

I can't explain 'why' the textures look 3D when you move around, but you can see that it's not just because 'it looks that way normally'. There's something more going on... even though it's a mild effect.

And ever since I noticed this, I've made sure appropriate textures for blocks had a little bit darker shadows, and a little bit brighter highlights. It doesn't take much really.

The effect works best when lights are applied.

These are 4 static lights in a room made of blocks.

Here's a link to the level

Anyway... on topic now.. I love the castle and i love the textures... great work as always Jake!!!

(Madisonians RULE!!)

- Jason

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 02/18/09 01:48

Thanks for the demo Jason, and I see what you mean.

No worries about changing the subject, I almost didn't post this at all. These textures were made specifically for another engine, and I threw the castle together rather quickly. (I still think it is pretty cool though). I was going for a Medieval II Total War look.

I really appreciate your insight, and if I make levels for A7 in the future will toy with your ideas.

Quote:
(Madisonians RULE!!)

Yes...yes we do.
Posted By: Blink

Re: Medieval Castle Screens 1024x768 - 05/17/09 03:56

i have to admit, that is some great work with WED.
© 2024 lite-C Forums