3dgs third person shooter play test

Posted By: darkinferno

3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/07/09 14:08

first i start with some noobing laugh... yesssssssss, i finally join tha forum after being rejected god knos how many times...

hehem.. back to business

This is the video of the untitled 3ps project am working on but might stop because of lack of resources and help, gamedesigners are nonexistent where i'm from... this video is only to show the gameplay mechanics done so far... which includes:

-ragdoll system(unfinished)
-weapons system(80%)
-weapons select system(85%)
-physics interaction and movement(75%)

CLICK HERE TO SEE YOUTUBE VIDEO PLAYTEST

second playtest..

what i basically want is for you guys to submit ideas that you think would be cool for the game or if you have 3dgs and wanna help or trade code, let me know... currently i only have the LITE-C FREE version of 3d gamestudio so as u can see, i'm very limited... dont know wen i'll be getting some cash ready... but until then... oh, ideas i would like to see could fall into :

melee killoffs- killing an enemy at close range via a melee attack
vehicles- simple yet effective vehicles
new weapon ideas- no laser stuff or fantasy crap... oh, or mines and stuff like that
gameplay ideas- anything that you think would suit this gametype... remember, its aimed to be a slightly futurisstic shooter

as you can all see, my modelling, animation and texturing skills are almost nonexistent so... if you can model and wanna see them ingame... sure... laugh..

Posted By: the_clown

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/07/09 15:24

My friend, this is AWSOME!
The combat showed in the video looks very intense, although the enemies are just dumb.
Weapon selection, shooting and especially those rockets look very pro (coding-wise, not the models).
And the effects are really nice!
It very reminds me of Gears Of War! Very good, how long are you doing this now?
Posted By: Quad

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/07/09 15:24

wow, looks good and promising.

i was like OMGUOMG at the shooting the rocket part.

nice so far keep it up.

From what i can see your modelling and animating skills are better then mine so i can't help you on this... hope someone does.
Posted By: Hitsch

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/07/09 15:34

Same here.
It's not very nice looking, but the scripting seems very solid. The weapons handling is very believable and I like how the rockets keep following the direction the player points at.

I don't think that you would just need some nicer models though, but a concept and a setting for the game.

Great work.
Posted By: croman

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/07/09 15:41

quite a good start. better models and animations, and better level and this would look awesome
keep it up! smile
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/07/09 15:43

let me guess: you didn't wanna make a death-animation, so your player just never dies? laugh

nice work, but, obviously, the art work needs a lot of work.

The rockets ARE awesome laugh
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/07/09 16:11

It's cool! Good work! smile laugh
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/07/09 16:21

XD i saw this a while back (as in a few days :p)

Congrats on registering lol.

And yeah good work
Posted By: txesmi

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/07/09 19:52

Originally Posted By: Germanunkol
your player just never dies?

Metal never dies!

very good!

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/07/09 23:58

@the_clown: i started with lite-c about a year and a half ago.. it all started as an fps but i had a change of mind..
@hitsch: i kno what you mean.. all the models are just placeholders however.. and i do have the story and concept already written but i kno i cant persue that just yet... it'll need alot of work so right now i'm just setting up my code so i can apply most shooter concepts to it...
@germanunkul: i'm still working on the 'deaths' but i dont use animations for any of them... i'm trying to perfect the ragdolls but as said before... 3dgs handles joints in strange ways
@blade: laugh.. cant believe how easy it was laugh... i used a google account
Posted By: KiwiBoy

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/08/09 00:14

Very cool, love your coding expertise, its great to watch good concepts but I especially liked it when the player straped the spare weap on back, thats how it should be these days smile
Ragdoll kills look good too, good work.
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/08/09 00:23

I was amazed at the whole coding aspect of it. Very very good work!

Noone mentioned this, but I actually liked the 'tracer' bullets by the enemy. It gives you a clear picture of where the enemy is when he's shooting, and I liked it a lot! I havn't seen that before, and it's a nice addition!

Keep up the good work! Hopefully you'll get help on your project, or be invited to work on another project.

Great skills you have smile

- Jason

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/08/09 15:35

Got an idea for a nice weapon... How about a gun that fires that kind of saws, like discusses?

EDIT: By the way, one question: How do you handle aiming? I mean, it looks like you have a fixed crosshair (panel), and all shots are forced to got to the point under the cross, i suppose you use c_trace to get that vector. But if the player's standing at a corner, it could be that the line between the target vector and the gun's muzzle position doesn't reach the target. How do you handle that?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/08/09 15:51

actually i'm still working on this, it has alot of bugs.. i actually trace from the camera and the bullets(created at the nuzzle) are just basic objects that fly to tha hitpoint..

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/08/09 16:01

Hm. So you don't have a bugless method too. Too bad.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 04:03

well the bugs rarely occur.. i didnt recreate any of them in tha vid above nor this that am about to show...

this is just a second playtest with a few things i've been working on.. yes, i kno the ragdolls are horrible but its all a work in progress

see second video here...
second playtest..

there are alot of errors in this vid... even more than the first... but it shows some new implementations that i've been workin at... am still seeking help and ideas..

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 08:48

heli looks nice and the buggy should be a little faster i guess. Keep it up!

p.s. you can take part in contests, i dont know what next contest will be about, but you can win a better edition of gamestudio from contests, follow contests part of aums wink

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 11:45

looks very good. I like the helicopter and the buggy, but there is no driver in the buggy what looks a bit odd, and the player seems to have lost his weapon as he jumped into the buggy.
But that are peanuts, all in all a very nice video!

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 12:28

@quadraxas: thanks for the contest idea.. it'll definately be cool to have a better edition.. i can only imagine the work i'd be able to get done laugh
@the_clown: i implemented the buggy in less than 3 hours... so i kno its troublesome

idk whats the problem.. i develop each piece of code in a seperate project then implement them to the main 1... i finished the driving aspect of the buggy in another project and its amazingly fast and easy to control there... but when i bring to to the main project... everything changes... i'm still trying to figure out y...
Posted By: XD1v0

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 13:49

darkinferno watched you video, really looks good wink

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 13:50

thanks XD1v0.. i'm still at work tho smile.. it turns out that scale as ALOT to do with how the physics engine works so i'm changing the scale of the entire game frown
Posted By: Hitsch

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 16:51

That's what I had to find out the hard way, too. It makes all the difference how big everything is, or the applied forces are either messing everything up or nothing happens smile

I never know how big my things really are unless I combine them in one project.

I like the heli. If you refine everything a bit this would really be fun try out some time...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 17:29

yup... but it needs major work as i said... right now i'm just working at implementing new things because i lost my game design document that i've been writing for over 3 years :((....
Posted By: ryangregory

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 17:51

Really nice! I like it alot, reminds me of new games like 'army of two' or 'mercenaries 2'. It might look better if you have a slightly more zoomed out camera when walking and zoom closer when aiming, like metal gear solid 4 or resident evil 5.
I know its still far from finished but it still rocks, I cant wait to see it all completed.

If you need any help in the future I may be able to help you out with models.

Cheers,
Ryan.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 18:14

thanks for the modeling offer, that is really gonna help... umm.. i dont think i'll be changing the camera tho because i was aiming at making the game feel as close to an fps as possible... more intimate combat... with a more distant camera i feel i'm taking away some of that feel... i'll work the cam alot tho.. but am trying to get the player as close to the fighting as possible... ps. i wasnt a fan of mercenaries laugh... am pretty sure my GUNplay is better than theirs... note, i said GUNplay not gameplay so noone needs to flame me on this... mercenaries has alot of explosions and such...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 23:20

Interesting debelopments smile but why are the AI so accurate?
Good to see the mechanics of a script come together, keep it up.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/09/09 23:31

ummm... i wouldnt call them AI.. more like artificially dumb actually... all they do is look to you and shoot.. but once again, the video isnt about that smile
Posted By: FBL

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/10/09 10:32

Hmm, Seems like I failed to press the Submit button when I tried to post last time grin

The action rocks a lot and it looks like you have some solid scripting there.
Any chance to get the name of the first song in the second video?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/10/09 12:33

@firoball: thanks for tha comment... the song is "The Offspring - You're Gonna Go Far, Kid"
Posted By: Gumby22don

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/11/09 05:47

I really like this. I just started working on a similar project - if it wasn't a team effort, I'd definately be looking to swap code with you smile

For the animations, try just using a base animation, with a percentage blend of the next animation over it for 20 frames or so. This was the first thing I hit with animation, and it worked pretty quickly. Doesn't matter too much if your walk anim isn't great smile

I love the tracer bullets, and the particle blood. The feel of running around, and being hit whenever in the open is great. Keep up the good work!

Don
have a great day

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/11/09 12:37

Originally Posted By: Gumby22don
I really like this. I just started working on a similar project - if it wasn't a team effort, I'd definately be looking to swap code with you smile

You too? God, we'll have a wave of third person shooters soon!

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/11/09 12:46

For the animations, try just using a base animation, with a percentage blend of the next animation over it for 20 frames or so. This was the first thing I hit with animation, and it worked pretty quickly. Doesn't matter too much if your walk anim isn't great smile

well actually.. i'm donw with the animation codes for now... currently the character blends between jumping,strafing,walking diagonally, running .. well, theres alot... but i'm only fosucsing on gameplay, that way when i do get the final model, everything will be ready

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/11/09 12:50

ps.. just letting you guys know that i finished the jeep code, u can enter/exit the vehicle at anytime.. and ALL characters in the game lose health when hit with a fast moving physics object so u can run enemies down or even get crushed by the vehicles... smile happened to me once by accident... an AI shot a rocket that missed me but apparently hit the chopper behind me and that flew and killed me laugh which is how my game should be played.. i want players to have semi-infinite ways of accomplishing a mission...

i dont want any of this 'go here for this bomb to destroy tank'... instead, i'll put the tank and then the player will have to destroy it in watever way that crosses his mind.. i'm aiming for re playability..

1st run: player destroys tank with rocket... ez
2nd run: rocket misses, hits water tank which in turn crushes player.
3rd run: player grenades tank to destroy it
4th run: player gets ran over by tank
5th run: player destroys tank but gets hit by dismantled tank cannon which lowers his health then he gets sniped by another enemy
6th run: NONE of the above

see what i'm aiming for? this is my basic idea
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/11/09 16:16

weel
you going to make public the code?
Posted By: MDMDFSS

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/11/09 16:44

Can I please, have a demo, then that looks like fun! smile

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/11/09 17:05

@felixsg: i'm going to make SOME of the code public.. but not until the project is nearing completion
@mdmdfss: demo? well.. not for now.. this is only a test level, i need to get ALOT of work done... as soon as i implement AI.. i'll make a quick arena demo.. but AI is a totally new field for me and i dont kno the difficulties i'll face yet... especially since the gameplay is so random

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/12/09 11:30

The thing about the random ways to solve the missions sounds good. Maybe you could post a bit more about the story and the setting.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/12/09 12:35

Originally Posted By: the_clown
The thing about the random ways to solve the missions sounds good. Maybe you could post a bit more about the story and the setting.

unedited info straight from the design doc:

When 'name removed' learns that their planet is nearing
extinction due to low resources, their leader sends crafts
on a peaceful search for a host planet but when the captain
places his own beliefs above his orders the 'name removed'
find themselves in human territory and after a mid-space
assault, suffer tremendous damage and the decision is made
to go against their laws and execute planet capturing
techniques on the planet.

Join 'characters names removed' through HUGE non-scripted
battles with a weapons and vehicle system specially built
to keep it simple, fun and submittable to change and witness never before seen actions,scenery and objects exclusive to the game.

as you can see, this might be a little far shot, i've heard over and over again, that no1 will make a triple A game with 3dgs... but if i've already coded better gameplay that alot of 'great' games then i dont see it being so impossible at this moment..
i'm not aiming AAA anyways, i just want to bring across my story and gameplay, i'm particularly fond of the story as i think its a different approach, i'm trying to access emotions such as sadness... but i have alot of work to do in all fields so i dont want to make any statements as yet

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/12/09 12:44

You too? God, we'll have a wave of third person shooters soon!

sounds like ur not a fan of third person shooters laugh... am more of an fps fan but i pulled the cam back for design reasons smile

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/12/09 14:45

Quote:
sounds like ur not a fan of third person shooters ... am more of an fps fan but i pulled the cam back for design reasons

I AM a big fan of third person shooters. The funny thing is, I started one, too! Was actually planned as isometric shooter, but I thought that the shoulder view is more intense...
I'm still at the beginning, so your project is very inspiring.
So I have a question: How do you attach the weapons to the player, using bones or vertices?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/12/09 14:53

i use two vertices, but this however has a flaw in which the weapon rotates when you tilt the bone that the vertices are attached to, there r work arounds though..

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/12/09 14:55

Yeah, I bumped into this problem, too! How did you stop it?
Btw, to that "AAA-Title" thing: I think that the finished parts of your game HAVE AAA-Quality. The only thing that isn't really practicable with A7 are these over-the-top graphics aka Crysis.
Anyway, you'll have to have an ally AI for these battles, right?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/12/09 18:50

Yeah, I bumped into this problem, too! How did you stop it?

i didnt, i jus tilted the shoulders themselves when aiming up and down instead of the spine, you can also try and put the weapons horizontal too, like the particle canon in the vid.. but am still tweaking it
The only thing that isn't really practicable with A7 are these over-the-top graphics aka Crysis.

true, however... based on some of the old games i see myself playing, theres two graphical standpoints:
pass: acceptable to stunning graphics... but if its acceptable then am leaving it up to the gameplay to carry it
fail: players avoid these titles but may play them if they have some fun with it

so right now i'm just aiming to get the graphic under acceptable smile
-these r just wat i think tho but its based upon a little research

Anyway, you'll have to have an ally AI for these battles, right?

i'm experimenting with AI now, and i just finalized the battle system, including a few unique grenades, driveaable vehicles, and you will have allies... but no command interface, they'll do their thing on their own.. i'm aiming for a fast paced environment
Posted By: sydan

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/13/09 07:58

Impressive. The rockets are very nice. I like the diversity of weapons and the ragdoll physics. Can't wait to see if finished!
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/13/09 14:36

Originally Posted By: darkinferno
i use two vertices, but this however has a flaw in which the weapon rotates when you tilt the bone that the vertices are attached to, there r work arounds though..

Is the problem viewable in the model editor?
If so I know how to fix it, we ran into this problem countless times during PreVa because we used vertexes to spawn all the weapons.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/13/09 14:44

no, i dont see the problem visible there.. i think what happens is: the bones normal orient is ZERO
-when i look down, it changes to a negative(or positive,not sure)
-when looking up, it changes to a positive

the only things i see in the model editor is that the bone flips its rotation when positive and flips back when going negative, and in-game, this affects the attached weapons...
-oh and good job with preva, maybe if ur working on a sequel i can add some ideas wink
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/14/09 06:30

D

Did your weapon rolls when it tilts at certain angle? Mine too,it rolls when it tilt after 80 degree or below -80 degree...
So I used 3 vertex to control it...

I like the player movement, seems so smooth, and the idea of having second weapon shouldered instead of disappear is so cool...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/14/09 10:13

Originally Posted By: bart_the_13th
D

Did your weapon rolls when it tilts at certain angle? Mine too,it rolls when it tilt after 80 degree or below -80 degree...
So I used 3 vertex to control it...

I like the player movement, seems so smooth, and the idea of having second weapon shouldered instead of disappear is so cool...

yes, thats the problem i have, so three vertices huh? i'll have to try that.. not too sure if its the same or similar code tho...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 01:14

-Just pointing out that the ragdolls system is 99 percent complete, in its current state it behaves correctly, joints wont get distorted and it blends in from the last frame of the entity that calls it...
-The code for the explorer(jeep) is 95 percent complete
-Grenades, weapons and animations codings are at 98 percent completion also
-At the moment, am trying to re-write the story as i lost my design doc but what i can say...

Click to reveal..

SCION QUICK OUTLINE:
scion(name subject to change) is a medium paced third person shooter designed to feel as close to an fps as possible, featuring 12 fine tuned weapons, 4 driveable vehicles and a story line design to bring new elements to the game world... scion is aiming to capture emotions that games rarely explore yet keep the fun and unpredictability of its battles top-notch, the ulterior focus of the game is gameplay which means extreme attention is being placed on the GUNplay... scions plot brings a new twist to repetitive stories and we hope to bring all elements of it to you in the best way we can... another thing of focus is user response so please post ideas and tips you think would be interesting and time will be taken to address all of them...

thanks...
-tahir:designer...

At the current time, alot of help is needed and a team to put the project thru.. am afraid at the moment, paid work isnt possible until a later point this year.. but all help would be greatly appreciated...

DarK out..
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 02:41

Vertex attachment script

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 04:11

@lostclimate: thanks but lol, i actually found a more simple workaround, for the weapon on the characters back, i simply do:

weaproll=-camera.tilt;

then for each weapon, when set to last weapon(on back)... i call...

my.roll=weaproll;

turns out i had the solution already there but commented, i guess i must have commented it for testing purposes but its perfect now . . . wink
Posted By: ratchet

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 10:04

Great game !

If you need some better models to improve your game,
just send me some draws,i can do some in my spare time wink

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 11:15

@ratchet.. thanks, that gonna be REALLY helpful smile

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 11:39

I like to help, some times when i got time wink
Just send me picture of the web , or tell me some models you would need !

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 12:35

-thanks for the offfer, i know alot of us are busy so i'm not expecting these anytime soon smile if you chose not to read all of this, just click the picture links to see the style we're aiming for then read the last few lines..

-am not much of a concept artist, and my design doc was ruined but i do remember the style of the game...

this is directly from another part of the design doc am recreating:

Click to reveal..

Scion's overall worlds appearance are seperated into two
styles....

Scion-
-the main theme of this planet is a stark blue atmosphere
with constant lightning storms and fogs.

-above this chaotic layer however is a beautiful atmosphere
with two bright suns.

-scion's buildings are made of mainly a thick blue heavy
looking metal and are also built above ground to escape
vicious creatures and the electrocuting water except for
the slums in which most unwealthy scion citizens live.

-scion also consists of HUGE machinery trying to sustain
the planets life such as huge pumps lightning rods etc.

-scion's main overseer building is a mountain stronghold
with a huge bridge built to restrict entrants to the
building.

Earth-main city
-the main city was created by the rich for the rich and is
a well guarded and stylized location protected by the
colonial army

-buildings, vehicles and weapons are mainly of a
light-colored or white curvy design

scion's dwellers are doglike in appearance, tall an armored in heavy metal similar to what's seen on the planet while still maintaining a simple yet aggressive look, scions are a spiritual race...

for game design reasons, all characters should be of a wider body set and weapons are rather big (one weapon across back should be big enough to be noticed at all times by the player(check vid)) and armors for human characters all posses a switchblade that flips around when needed(used for melee(check vid))

all designs must be kept simple so a personality can be attached to each item... meaning, they are simple and effective that they will always be remembered, example: halo's pistol in comparison with halflife 2's pistol.. i'd like to think people would be quicker to remember halo's pistol design because its more far off yet not complicated while halflife's pistol looks similar to a majority

character style
texture style
building concept
building interior
vehicle style

thie one as nothing to do with concept but i thought the shoulder pads were cool smile

with that said, if their are any modelers or artists here that can draw or model and would like to help draw concepts or model the characters, leave a reply and help make this project a reality...

i am however aware of the scale of this project and the inability to create it without a team but if i could get the characters and props ready i could implement the current gameplay scripts into a quick arena shooter with a few maps and release that while work is done on the main project... smile...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 16:27

@lostclimate: thanks but lol, i actually found a more simple workaround, for the weapon on the characters back, i simply do:

weaproll=-camera.tilt;

then for each weapon, when set to last weapon(on back)... i call...

my.roll=weaproll;

turns out i had the solution already there but commented, i guess i must have commented it for testing purposes but its perfect now . . . wink

Well, but this doesn'T solve the problem for the weapon in the hands...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 16:41

umm, it sounds true but when i applied it and ran the program it works perfectly, i'll keep it that way until when and if i see a situation in which it fails...
Posted By: sebbi91

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 17:11

cool game!
And nice pictures!
Could you tell me how to get the ragdoll working with bone-constructions?
Model to model is easy but this is awesome heavy!
I've no idea how you did this correctly!

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 17:16

Originally Posted By: sebbi91
cool game!
And nice pictures!
Could you tell me how to get the ragdoll working with bone-constructions?
Model to model is easy but this is awesome heavy!
I've no idea how you did this correctly!

what do you mean by model to model?

and secondly, i'll be releasing most of the code as the project nears completion...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 17:55

cool^^ Thx
Model to Model means a cutted Player, that includes several models.
it means:
player_head.mdl
player_Arm_left_top.mdl
player_Arm_right_top.mdl
player_torso.mdl

And every Model has a physik objekt(or is a physik objekt)
Like the Ragdoll code from Helghast!

But boneragdoll is an awesome work!

sorry for my english i hope you understand it !

mfg BasTi

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 18:07

thats the same technique behind bones ragdoll but your making the bone follow the model... example, arm bone rotates to armbox.mdl...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 18:08

and for anyone missing the point of this thread:

what i basically want is for you guys to submit ideas that you think would be cool for the game or if you have 3dgs and wanna help or trade code, let me know... currently i only have the LITE-C FREE version of 3d gamestudio so as u can see, i'm very limited... dont know wen i'll be getting some cash ready... but until then... oh, ideas i would like to see could fall into :

melee killoffs- killing an enemy at close range via a melee attack
gameplay ideas- anything that you think would suit this gametype... remember, its aimed to be a slightly futurisstic shooter

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 18:27

Cool Things:
A System that allows you to make you World to a weapon!
For example: put a chair in your hand and throw it after your enemy!
or use a gravity gun like in HL² episode one or a Portalgun like in HL²-portal!

Maybe a flyindg Board like in the 1. and 3. Spiderman movie would be cool!

Tuneable Weapons (Ammotype-Change,silencer)

a full destroyable World(Terraindeformations,destroyable buildings)

And my faforite feature in MY Game:
a 2 Player-mode!

Btw you make EXACTLY the same Game, like me! ^^
But my Game is fully in 1st person.
If you want are interested you can look at my Website(in my signature)

But i work with c-Script! ^^

i hope i could help!

mfg BasTi and the IGS-team

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/15/09 18:43

the mechanics of 'scion' so far are alot more than displayed by the pics and videos....

i would love to give more info but not at the moment ...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/16/09 10:51

Do you have a cover system?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/16/09 11:23

The Shrike was a good futuristic security combat model that could phase time, grow spikes/thorns, wire and generally dismember all opponants, machinery included or rock.
Terminator nano based bots are similar and both employ close combat so maybe something like hand fighting with teleport and time_phase would be a go?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/16/09 12:18

Do you have a cover system?

methods to increase aiming such as this are being thought of, basically trying to avoid making JUST another cover system... check out this thread in which we're having a discussion about it
thread

Originally Posted By: KiwiBoy
The Shrike was a good futuristic security combat model that could phase time, grow spikes/thorns, wire and generally dismember all opponants, machinery included or rock.
Terminator nano based bots are similar and both employ close combat so maybe something like hand fighting with teleport and time_phase would be a go?

the game as already been written and this is far from the design doc, its aimed to be as simple as possible and they key focus is on addictive gameplay...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/16/09 17:18

a full destroyable World(Terraindformations,desrtoyable buildings)
Ahhhahha smile
Dont' ask too much also.
If the games finishes one day , it will be really great !
Posted By: ryangregory

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/16/09 21:00

Hi, I saw your description of the character and made this (crappy) sketch.

You can use it if you want, I was just trying to fit the style you wanted.
Cheers,
Ryan.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/19/09 22:14

sorry i took so long to rely guys..

@sebbi: ode physics engine is rather unstable especially since i make immense use of it, its perfect when you have fewer physics models onscreen but i'm working at it.. destruction is indeed planned, but i have to find a way to stabilize it, i know about newton but am not that advanced yet laugh

@ryangregory: love the sketch, i might try and use it... its definately the style, even the gun, guns will be a little bigger though smile.... this is to exaggerate them since its a gun game and that where i want the focus.. i also see the blade... perfect... hope i can get help from someone to model it smile....

and to everyone else, i made a quick vid of the work in progress of the ragdolls... i'm 90+ percent complete, i'm just trying to get the blending better so you will see not skipping when a model is killed from whatever animation state it is in smile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q524cEQHOI

give it a look

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/20/09 05:57

your explosion could use some work...
make the velocity of the particles get smaller while they fly out, it makes it look more like an explosion I think. It will need LOTS of tweaking that way though, until it looks real good:

void explo_event(PARTICLE* p)
{
p.alpha -= time_step*5;
vec_normalize(p.vel_x,p.alpha*p.skill_a);
p.size += time_step*2;
if(p.alpha <= 0)p.lifespan = 0;
}

void explode(PARTICLE* p)
{
p.skill_a = .5;
p.event = explo_event;
}

Other than that, very impressive coding. I'd really like to know how you got the blue beam working. is it just s streched sprite/particle? cause it looks real nice, better than mine for sure :P
Nice ragdolls, they look much better now!

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/20/09 06:24

nice, like your nades too.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/20/09 07:43

very nice. i think ragdolls should move/fall a bit faster.

other then that...progress is clearly visible wink

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/20/09 22:12

oh sorry.. i actually posted a slowed down version of the video so its actually alot faster... i was just showing the ragdolls movements.. lol, i couldn't have made a game that slow.... and the beam is a stretched MODEL... i haven't started working on any visual effects yet so they will all look better, i'm just getting the framework down...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/21/09 09:07

but it looks nice!
cool ragdoll and nice weapon effects!
Posted By: Jaeger

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/22/09 18:46

I watched your video, inferno. Excellent work! I can't wait to see this when you're artwork is finished! Looks like a fun game, to say the least! laugh

For the FPS vs. 3PS debate:

I think FPS is best for games that focus primarily on shooting, guns, and military simulations.

Games that have a lot of fighting, hand to hand combat, melee attacks, and more arcade style games (like GTA) are best in 3P.

P.S.- Your laser guided rockets are awesome! wink

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/23/09 02:30

ima copy that post over to that thread, thanks though... not moving to art yet but even so, other aspects are looking alot better...
Posted By: kevNxT

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/24/09 15:00

How long do you need for programming this game?

Looks very very nice for Lite-C free

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/24/09 17:44

couple years actually, took a while to learn the basic and i'm still working at learning more...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 05/31/09 12:46

-

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/02/09 10:20

Alright, sorry for that last post, but I wanted to bring the topic up again...
What I have to ask, darkinferno, you are using ANM_ADD to have the arms in different poses for different guns, don't you?
What I want to know is, do you actually have animation blending for these added animations, or only for the main animations the character is doing (running, standing, walking sidewards...)?
Posted By: Erick_Castro

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/05/09 02:38

How are you doing with the AI of the enemies?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/05/09 03:16

still working at AI with alot of help from "fear", video soon hopefully...

at the_clown: yes i only use blending for major animations but blending for weapons holding is planned... as a matter of fact, i think i'll be rewriting the code used for weapon holding....

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/05/09 12:24

Well, but blending between added animations is rather difficult, ent_blend doesn't work for that... if you find out how to, let me know... laugh

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/05/09 14:01

i have a few ideas.. not sure tho, but either way... its not needed, setting up good upper body animations could hide the fact that they arent blending...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/05/09 14:56

Right again.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/15/09 18:15

new blood effects work in progress, they look pretty decent ingame but now i'm just tweaking it so it doesnt get repetitive, also, the effect is onscreen for less than a sec so its not really dramatic... thoughts please...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/15/09 18:23

looks nice from the screen, but for more detailed critics, video please wink

[hope you win the comm edition from the contest, you deserve it]

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/15/09 18:24

NICE muzzles!!!
And the blood looks good, too.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/15/09 18:27

There's something weird in this blood...
But, nice images so far!! smile

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/16/09 03:41

sorry for taking so
Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
looks nice from the screen, but for more detailed critics, video please wink
[hope you win the comm edition from the contest, you deserve it]

i hope i win comm too, then i can start using more effects, i dont feel comfortable making another vid yet until i can get a better look

Originally Posted By: Cowabanga
theres something weird in this blood
??? lol, well thats not very helpful, whats weird?
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/16/09 07:08

Hi dark, just my opinion, but don´t let yourself infect by the actual zombie wave.
I first saw your gameplay as a very fast action oriented one.

Ok - your first blood fx was not finished - but this new shown way is not the route, which ld I personally would go, if I make this project.

To hard blood effects doesn´t fit with your project at all.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/16/09 14:07

But wasn't Gears of Wear very fast and action oriented, too?
And nobody can tell me that Gears of War had less blood effects than darkinferno has now.
I think this kind of violence also fits into fast-paced action.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/16/09 14:24

i agree with alpha, too much blood. just decrease it a bit and it should look great

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/16/09 14:46

@clown:
No, Gears of war is not a fast action game.
In fact, Gears of War is a spectacular optical firework. And the hardcore violence was a main part of the mixture between explosive tuned thrilling action and the very hard muscles freaks of the game. It was a true overkill.
Even part two!

Darks game reminds me more at games like "UT 2000".

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/16/09 14:51

"UT 2000"? Mybe I didn't get something her, but was there a UT 2000? No offend, alpha, just wondering laugh

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/16/09 15:19

ok... i knew this would happen, and i say again.. this is not my aim... this will only be used for 'headshots' and such.. i am aware of how it looks, also.. in a game in which you take 5 shots to die, the blood wouldnt get out of hand.. i'll post a quick vid, it'll be easier to make judgements on that...

i'll tweak it alot more as i am aware of its current state... and gears of war isnt fast paced either, its a wannabe ""tactical"" gore fest... i say wannabe tactical because thats what they were aiming at.. but gears is far from being tactical... lol

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/19/09 15:25

ok.. can anyone do great animations? i think am at the stage where i want to finish that aspect of the game.. no, i cant offer cash at this point in time... not until i set up a paypal account or whatever..

i say GREAT because i currently have animations doing what i want, there's no need to redo them unless i'm aiming at the final product... what i want it to animate one model, which will be used as the base for all models...

what i'm looking for:

-melee animation (swinging the blade) dont mind the model, the blade has been changed to the left arm so animate with that in mind

-grenade throw animation via left arm
-better weapon select animations
-weapon fire animations
-weapon reload animations
-crouch anim
-walk while crouching
-about 6 death animations

any help would be great but ok if not, i know people are busy smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/20/09 16:45

BEAUTIFUL ... im just a noob but THAT JUST BLOWS MY MIND>.. how long did that take u.... JESUS THATS AMAZING... the ragdoll death is GENIUS i was like WOW and OMG and HOLY @$%& amazing *claps* *claps*... u should sell that WOW it beautiful... and i really dont mind the models they look kinda cool.... if u tried switching the scene from like earthly to like an alien wars game... but thats just a suggestion and i know it would take to long AMAZING GReAT WORK I HOPE U MAKE MILLIONS
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/21/09 04:38

It's too bad that I'm bad at animation. Cant say I'm good at rigging and skinning either :p... But maybe you could just "borrow" the animation from HalfLife.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/21/09 10:45

100 posts...congrats wink

anyway, try posting your request at jobs offered or user requests. and try posting on some other forums too(where you can find more 3d modellers and animators)

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 06/25/09 16:06

Originally Posted By: bart_the_13th
It's too bad that I'm bad at animation. Cant say I'm good at rigging and skinning either :p... But maybe you could just "borrow" the animation from HalfLife.
i wont be taking any files from any games, i rather use freebie and crappy looking models, its hell running through your project trying to take out copyrighted stuff, lol... i'll be trying to post some requests too, i paused the game for a while as i was working towards the panel competition but its time to resume it smile

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/07/09 15:48

as alot of you know, i've posted videos of my weapons system being used in my 3ps shooter but i was browsing my harddrive and found the previous weapon system which was being done in an fps style(no longer used )so i thought i'd upload it, it doesnt show much however but feel free to give it a look...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTUr5q4NEh4[/video]

and for some reason my video tags arent working.. tsk
Posted By: Blackchuck

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/07/09 16:51

Interessting...
allready good work !!!

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/07/09 20:32

you're the FPS master Dark INferno smile

You're so skilled in that part, uou could make the official FPS Template with all your additions.
Or like in garage games make some FPS template kit ?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/08/09 01:42

i'll think about it, not yet though as there is alot more i have to learm, ALOT, lol, anyways, i just wanted to post a screen of my WIP explosion effect, as i said, i'm reworking ALL the effects to AAA quality, i might not be able to get AAA details and models but i can pull off the effects... smile .... anyways, enough chatter

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/08/09 07:19

These pics are interesting. But in these cases it would be always much better to see it in motion. Please post some new vids about the effects.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/08/09 07:29

Yep, pics look good, but a vid would make it easier to comment.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/08/09 10:07

Originally Posted By: alpha_strike
These pics are interesting. But in these cases it would be always much better to see it in motion. Please post some new vids about the effects.

yes i am aware but the next vid won't come along until all the effects are complete.. smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/08/09 10:09

stunning... shocked

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/08/09 12:51

i uploaded a video of the explosion [video:yahoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ2gHITBUYE[/video]

they are far from completion and need ALOT of work but this is what the game will be using so far... the main focus of this game is the WEAPONplay so the effects have to be great in attempt to get players to overlook other weekpoints..

and i see the video tag still isnt working, or as there been a change to how we embed videos?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/09/09 08:59

Hm. I like it, but it's not AAA yet.
-Can you add a dynamic light? a flash that lightsa the surrounding area for around 1 second?
-The smoke could be a little darker in places
-The explosion itself doesn't look "thick" enough yet. It looks like the smoke is always behind the actual explosion (if your explosion is anything like mine, this would be because of the BRIGHT flag. Maybe you can deactivate it on some of the particles at random?)
-The explosion itself has a lot of structure (see first screen) which is great. I don't like the round sparks though (the streaked ones are great), for some reason I don't think they look very good, and I've never seen something like that in any explosions in movies etc, as far as I remember.
-How much would you mind sharing your smoke bmap? I've been trying to work on my smoke, and it's just not perfect -.-... maybe having a look at your particle would help a little...

[edit] I noticed also that a shaking camera (when too close to the explosion) and bits of the exploding object that fly off help a whole lot to make the explosion rewarding to the player. It feels... stronger? that way.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/09/09 11:02

Originally Posted By: Germanunkol
Hm. I like it, but it's not AAA yet.
-Can you add a dynamic light? a flash that lightsa the surrounding area for around 1 second?
-The smoke could be a little darker in places
-The explosion itself doesn't look "thick" enough yet. It looks like the smoke is always behind the actual explosion (if your explosion is anything like mine, this would be because of the BRIGHT flag. Maybe you can deactivate it on some of the particles at random?)
-The explosion itself has a lot of structure (see first screen) which is great. I don't like the round sparks though (the streaked ones are great), for some reason I don't think they look very good, and I've never seen something like that in any explosions in movies etc, as far as I remember.
-How much would you mind sharing your smoke bmap? I've been trying to work on my smoke, and it's just not perfect -.-... maybe having a look at your particle would help a little...

[edit] I noticed also that a shaking camera (when too close to the explosion) and bits of the exploding object that fly off help a whole lot to make the explosion rewarding to the player. It feels... stronger? that way.

thanks for the crits, atleast now i know what changes to maker, however as stated:
-the explosion is still incomplete
-am not aiming to remake a real explosion wink
-i wont be adding too much detail because i dont want it affecting the framerate
-the screen effects are planned
-the game will not be aiming at photorealistic graphics and the explosion will fit its style.
-the darkness of the smoke effect depends on whats exploding

anyways, theres alot more work to be done, i wont be making any more vids or shots until a major graphical change is achieved.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/09/09 12:18

.... what can take long.
Looking great darkinferno, how about some pieces flying around? Burning scatter... But the effect itself looks good.
Oh, I see, you have some scatter... So, some more scatter? grin
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/09/09 14:17

Looking good, very good, but with the burning flying fragments, can you "streak" the smoke of them?
Dunno how it would affect the framerate at all, but the "puffs" of smoke left
by the flying fragment look odd. Smear them along the "flight path" of the fragment.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/09/09 14:26

Looks amazing, for a free engine. wink

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/09/09 14:38

It's not a free engine :
it's A7 and Dark_Inferno coding grin

For explosions , you can find vidéos on youtube it can help.
Mercenaries 2 game have explosions i like for example.

@DarkInferno :
I have a question , caus i want to mak some simple rail shooter.
So DarkInferno : for collision detection to detect that you hit an animated ennemi character : how do you do that ?
global collision or precise collision ?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/09/09 22:47

once again, as i've said before, the explosion was from one full day of work and study, its far from completion, i still need to rework the weapon effects, the aim is to get has many effects onscreen with has low fps drop as possible....

thanks for keeping your comments towards the game, dislike when ppl comment off topic wink
Posted By: Altarius

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/10/09 11:20

Anyone can tell me how to code a camera like one in this demo plz.. (gear of war like camera).
Posted By: maslone1

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/10/09 13:33

Realy nice project you r workin on!

And cool video!

Keep on workin!

Cheers Marcel

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/15/09 21:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvIQ7f91q_4

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 07:36

Could you post the video on vimeo also DarkInferno if you have an account ?
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 07:54

Hey Darkinferno, just a quick question?
In That youtube video, about a quarter of the way in,
do you know/care why that tree in the distance is having spasms
seemingly everytime you shoot the dummy?

I looks kinda creepy....
Posted By: the_mehmaster

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 08:15

Hahagrin I only just noticed that. That is wierd..

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 08:49

Hey, trees got feelings, too...
He's desperate because darkinferno is torturing his friend, the dummy, and he can't do anything... grin

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 09:01

Beside all spastic trees, it seems that your characters take to much aspirin?!?

The blood sprays like it is much to thin.
It seems, that there are no particles, instead there are only red clouds, spraying wild in the wind??

In my opinion,IF you use blood THEN blood in an action games is a very import part of the game. So you have to work over your effects.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 09:06

In fact, there are no particles...
I think it looks good, but you're right, alpha, there could be some particles to make it thicker.
But it looks much better than mine at the moment... grin

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 10:28

Originally Posted By: ratchet
Could you post the video on vimeo also DarkInferno if you have an account ?
i'll see about that, not sure now though
Originally Posted By: EvilSOB
do you know/care why that tree in the distance is having spasms
seemingly everytime you shoot the dummy?

sorry about that, the trees use physics and i when i loaded in the new terrain it started colliding with the tree, i was too lazy to fix it
Originally Posted By: alpha_strike
It seems, that there are no particles, instead there are only red clouds, spraying wild in the wind??
In my opinion,IF you use blood THEN blood in an action games is a very import part of the game. So you have to work over your effects.
you have to remember that the concentration of of this game isnt on blood effects also the effect isnt complete but it wont be getting alot bloodier that much i can say, the point is not to get great effects but to let the weapons feel good which is where my focus is on, there are ten weapons and i've ran around for an hour or so with each to see when and why they get boring so i can make changes accordingly

there are also varying blood effects based on some of the weapons...

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 11:15

o.k. dark, in other words.
If somebody sees an element, which he personally thinks, that doesn´t fit with the system... you can be sure, that this guy is not alone with his opinion.

quote:"you have to remember that the concentration of of this game isnt on blood effects "

But if you are showing such detailed and "very visible" effects - than they are a part of the game.

I don´t want to come too close. Only my mind.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 12:43

Well, don't charge too much on DarkInferno, he's alone on it's game , and a game asks for lot lot of work and what he's done for now is already lot of code and things and it's already great for a lonewolf smile

Yeah trees with feelings ... ahahahhaa ... it makes my day grin
Why not having agressive trees in the level ?

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 13:17

Many of us are lonewolf. This is one reason, why we should help each other.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 13:21

Exactly.
I can understand alpha's opinion, but I also understand that darkinferno wants to focus the gameplay first before perfecting the effects.

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/16/09 14:02

that darkinferno wants to focus the gameplay first before perfecting the effects.

Yep , that's the best way to work : make something rought, bad looking with progressive good gameplay.
Refine progressively graphics in last step.

Well keep up the good work Dark_Inferno smile
Posted By: rincewind

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 07/31/09 18:06

Graphics isn't everything. You're a great coder and I really adore that..and the effects are really cool..

Cheers
Rince
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 08/01/09 14:43

I agree with ricewind, and technically it makes an awesome impression.
Posted By: Claus_N

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 08/07/09 23:24

Just watched some of your videos, and it looks very nice - very nice effects! Keep up the good work! smile

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 11/24/09 21:37

thanks for the crits, update on current project: http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=299557&#Post299557

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 02/27/10 15:45

JUST A NOTE:

i'll be removing all videos from the youtube page shorty as they dont reflect the quality we're aiming for, new videos will replace them shortly
Posted By: mikaldinho

Re: 3dgs third person shooter play test - 02/27/10 19:11

i have a folder full of vehicles. i could copy it and send you it through email or something. i collected the vehicles from loads of different resources.

if you want it let me know.
© 2024 lite-C Forums