Modern Armor (MP)

Posted By: ShoreVietam

Modern Armor (MP) - 07/30/09 17:01

Hi folks!

Last weekend I re-installed good old G-Police from 1997. While playing a friend visited me and we came to the clue, that the controls could be heavily improved. Said and done, here is what came out of 2 days development: Modern Armor!

You control a futuristic "hovering-helicopter" which is equipped with infinite lasers and a certain amount of rockets, which can be collected around the (test level) map.

The result is something like a 3-dimensional FPS. xD

Gamepaly video on YouTube

After the first real multiplayer test runs today I think it quite has the potential to be further improved. ^^

Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 07/31/09 12:17

This looks really interesting!
Although the controls seem to be pretty hectic .. but meh .. maybe its just fast-paced huh wink

Keep it up! I'd really like to play a demo.
Does it also work over the internet?

funny side note:
I was pretty irritated when that icq message sound played during the video laugh

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/01/09 14:54

*lol*
You're right, it really looks hectic. But the controls actually aren't, they're quite smooth, but in close combat you're very vulnerable to rocket fire (because you're easy to hit) and thus throttling left and right, back and forth, up and down is a quite good method evading missiles and (amazingly) not too complicated.

I think I'll tweak it a bit, before there'll be a demo.
I always had problems connecting via internet with the A6.31.4 version. It should be possible and still smooth (because control inputs are being sent and used for movement with only periodic position updates), but for nice LAN play I set up a high update rate.

ICQ Sound? Must have been your ICQ. There only is a relatively quite future bgm. :-P

I think I'll create soem further weapon systems and maybe even an anti-grav-tank for air-ground battle, could be funny!
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/01/09 15:04

Yeah, there is "a-u" sound, at the 50 secionds - but else really, really cool work
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/02/09 17:15

Nah Shore its not my ICQ as I use Pidgin which is also muted and thus makes no sound wink

How about using an external dll for multiplayer? might solve some issues, dunno.

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/04/09 18:28

Damn you're right, that's what irritated me! xD

Well there are no issues, I could send updates in intervals, but as said before, A6 tends to not being able to connect via internet (actually it worked only once so far) and thus I optimize for LAN play.

Here some new screenshots, I added new weapons.
Primary weapons (infinite ammo):
- Laser ("slow", strong)
- Gatling Gun (fast, middle-weak, inaccurate)

Secondary weapons (limited, collectable ammo):
- Missile (slow, very strong)
- Quad-Missile (very slow after shooting the "quad-pack", strong)

Myabe I'll use this cruiser as boss? ^^

Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/05/09 06:11

nice laugh
I really like this style of game.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/05/09 09:07

Nice idea to develop it into MP style, great concept wink wink
The motion seems stable when judging it from the video thus keep it up smile smile

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/05/09 10:39

The style if freakin' awesome!! laugh
You should decrease the alpha value in the particles.

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/05/09 18:21

Nice hearing from all you guys again, I guess the core just will stick around here! ^^

At the moment I improve effects like lens flares for missile boosters. But I'm still not sure if I should stick to a deathmatch-like game or create some different game modes, there are lots of possibilities.

Decrease the alpha of which particles? The rocket boosters or the engine boosters?
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/06/09 09:04

The engine boosters.

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/12/09 16:53

I tried it, but it didn't look that nice. ^^

Secondary weapon can now be switched with the mouse wheel.
I think I'll create a new video the next weekend.

Here are some new shots. The first 2 show the lens flares of the sun and missiles. Improved interface with ship and weapon sprites to show shield status, selected weapon and ammunition.

Improved explosion effects of the missiles.

Ash spots and bullet holes left behind by weapon impacts.

Posted By: Erick_Castro

Re: Modern Armor (MP) - 08/29/09 22:45

Good work, friend. The movements of the enemie ship looks realistic and difficult to shoot it!
© 2024 lite-C Forums