Superku side scroller

Posted By: Superku

Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 18:23

Dear friends,
I wanted to show you my new side scrolling game aka jump'n'run Superku. All graphics are work in progress, I'm still coding the movement. Superku is able to do 18+ moves so far, there are still missing 2 or 3. Controls are simple, just the cursor keys, one button each for jump, fast running and special, a gamepad is recommended, though.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ2ovHq0jS4[/video]

[video:youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKcCE_cYlOI [/video]

Any criticism is welcome!
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 18:27

Looks very cool, waiting for the release. laugh
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 18:31

Hi, great!

I like the masses of different actions the player can do.

Just keep the controls simple (cursorkeys + space) and
this will be a great game for all ages.
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 18:32

great!!!
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 18:35

well the movement looks solid, very solid, good luck with the visuals laugh
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 18:35

it has a really cool gameplay. reminds me to prince of persia.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 18:51

I like it very much, the moves look very smooth and variable.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 19:00

yes movement looks good, make sure to release a map editor or map documentation, so people can add their own maps wink

(like a .c file iwth action names in it - only empty actions with names, i guess that when we use this actions, it should still work with published game)
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 19:05

Impressive gameplay laugh
Even with simple graphics, it's clean and really good.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 19:28

I loooove the way he jumps using the same "rope" twice, first video, at 1:46 grin

Great lookin' game.
Though it looks too complicated for me to play tongue

Edit: Water -> aaaawesome! grin
Posted By: BoH_Havoc

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 19:30

impressive, looks fun to play laugh

The only thing disturbing me is that the character moves so slow. I would speed up all the movements by 25%-50% to get more action into it and speed the whole game up a little.

Apart from that you did a fantastic job on the movement!
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 19:38

It really looks complicated! Don't add to much different things, so that its not too hard to play.
It seems to be a funny game, so thumbs up laugh

I agree with Germanunkol: The water looks very nice!
Posted By: Blink

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/17/09 23:36

i love the style, although i am not sure what type of animal he is, but he can really jump,lol!
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/18/09 03:53

Nice level design, and the character movement is really cool, simple but effective. I played the video 3 times to imagine that I'm playing it :LoL:
Cant wait to play the game, it surely will be fun...

Originally Posted By: Blink
i love the style, although i am not sure what type of animal he is, but he can really jump,lol!

I think it's a monkey, in ninja style...

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/18/09 16:13

Thank you all for your nice comments.
You're right, the game is way too slow but if you compare the first and second video you will see that the first one is slower than the other one. I'm recording at 25 fps, the game runs at 60 fps and I rendered the video at double speed, still too slow. There will be a corrected video online in just a second.
Besides I will speed the game up itself.

Haha no, not a monkey, he should/will be a crossover between a (Teddy) Bear and a cow (-> Superku, Kuh is german for cow).

Any level ideas ?
Posted By: Zapan@work

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/18/09 16:20

Fantastic work!
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/18/09 18:22

Wow, after reading the topic name i thought it would be that 'one-key-flying' game i saw years ago and my expectation decreased. But after watching the videos i can only say: WOW.
The movement looks smooth but still complex. You have nice riddles and game-play elements. This will be definitely a great game.
On the graphic side, well you have to find a nice consistent style.
Posted By: Shinobi

Re: Superku side scroller - 09/26/09 14:00

Great work Felix , it looks very smooth and nice gameplay as well. But if this is the first Level i think its to hard to play for beginners , the first level should be way easier and less movements.
But you´re a very good coder and i am sure this will become a very good game , cant wait for releasing day laugh

Re: Superku side scroller - 10/01/09 02:11

Dear friends,
just a small update. The last 2 weeks I've been working on the main menu including save/load system, 3 different control types and schemes - the mouse can be used for different devices that act as a mouse (a pen for example) or for handicapped persons and it's working quite well - and it was a hell of a ride. I never knew that coding a menu is so much work. Still I have to adapt everything to different screen resolutions and different languages (English/German)...
I fear it's missing color, too. What do you think?

Edit: Does anyone know how I can make the pictures bigger?
Posted By: Saturnus

Re: Superku side scroller - 10/01/09 15:53

Hello!

Personally, I don't like this menu design.
In my opinion it is too unstructured and seems to be without a clear line. Just some random shapes floating around. They doesn't seem to relate to any aspect of the game itself (I might be wrong here, though).
There is much information visible at the same time (especially in the first screenshot). It is hard to distinguish all the information/elements from each other visually, because of the alpha transparency, the unaligned menu items/captions and so on.

Quote:
Edit: Does anyone know how I can make the pictures bigger?

AFAIK you can't. The image width is limited to 400px by the forums stylesheet.
As an alternative you could post thumbnails and link them with the original screenshots.

Re: Superku side scroller - 10/01/09 20:10

Thank you, I see! When new layers pop up the background layers become dark now. The menu is made to support several screen resolutions, so the basic layer gets aligned to the corners, the upper layers are centered, maybe I have to change that, too.

Posted By: Widi

Re: Superku side scroller - 10/01/09 20:41

The Menu is much better, good work...

Re: Superku side scroller - 10/02/09 06:40

yes, I like it.
And I don't mind the "random" shapes, I rather like them as well.
Although they really don't seem to have anything to do with the game content... or do they?
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Superku side scroller - 10/04/09 00:25

Heyy dude! You continued on superku! =D Glad to see that!

Re: Superku side scroller - 12/25/09 17:46

Hi, errm, "Superku"! laugh You're message box is full.
Posted By: Rackscha

Re: Superku side scroller - 12/29/09 23:34

Very impressive gameplay. Its that kind of gameplay that eats people's reallife grin

Keep it up. I cant wait to play a demo,too.

Greets
Rackscha
Posted By: TSG_Torsten

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/02/10 17:11

I really like the movie, especially the water looks very nice!
Besides of that, the darken menu looks better classified now!

By the way, do you read the "real" resolutions from the PC or is this a pre-written list? Just curious...

Regards
TSGames

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/10/10 17:59

Thank you all for your nice comments!

Quote:
By the way, do you read the "real" resolutions from the PC or is this a pre-written list? Just curious...

Oh, I did not think of that. Will be implemented.

Development is quite slow until my exams in the end of February.
After doing 1,5 levels (15 min playing time so far) I'm 100 percent sure the game(play) needs a big big upgrade! wink There will be a new video in March, stay tuned!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Superku side scroller - 02/08/10 14:42

an other use for your gravity game: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/526596
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: Superku side scroller - 02/08/10 18:11

This. Is. Awesome.

Truly.

I mean, I don't even play many video games any more. I guess you could call me a casual gamer; a little gaming here, a little there. But this REALLY looks neat! There are some things that need to be touched up, like the speed of the main character, but otherwise I can see you've spent a great deal of time on the mechanics of his movement.

All in all, I can't believe I haven't looked into this for so long. Keep up the excellent work! I'll be looking forward to a release.

Re: Superku side scroller - 02/20/10 21:59

Hello everyone!
I continued to work on Superku and I need your ideas for my main character model.
Please say everything you can think of, no matter what kind/ style it is (comic/kids/real/...). There are only two things the character should fulfill:
not human + fat/clunky, I mean have a look at (the old) Mario, he is almost square and that allows smooth movement IMO (the player won't fall through narrow passages, and ... I can't explain, my English sucks!).

Thank you in advance!
Posted By: FBL

Re: Superku side scroller - 02/20/10 23:21

Oh, missed that one.

I love the movement. It's really great.
Waiting to see how it turns out in a "real" level.

Re: Superku side scroller - 03/01/10 23:38

A little update:
I developed a simple but effective method to create some of my dungeons and levels, the "ground/platform" in the screenshot took less than 60 seconds to create (in MED).

(click to enlarge)

The levels will be a combination of these "terrains", models and simple block-geometry, the background will be multilayer sidescrolling 2D graphics in in-door levels and 2.0-2.5D in out-door levels. It's not a continuous style but I think it will work out quite nicely.

Early background-system: Video
(Sorry for bad quality, it's really dark, too)

What do you guys think? How many background layers are good/ too many?

Re: Superku side scroller - 03/04/10 22:18

I really like that - even though the theme shown in the video seems to be more suitable for a Castlevania or Ghouls ’n Ghosts like game IMO.

Somehow I have the feeling that some lava below the path could create a great atmosphere.

I think that two background layers are perfectly good for this particular level. They give a nice impression of depth while not being too distracting. This may not apply to other types of background, though. I guess that the simpler the layers are the more you can show of them at the same time.

Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/08/10 02:36

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, lava is on my to-do list. Ok, I will use 2-3 background layers.

When I started to develop the game I considered making a fusion of jump'n'run and RPG but deferred the idea to its possible successor. In January I asked myself why should I develop a game when I'd rather make a different one, so here it is: a side scrolling role-playing jump'n'run.
There will be 5 character classes that play completely different, story and game world's main concept are finished.
I hope to finish it until the end of 2012 and I will try to produce 10h+ playtime so I can sell it and finally make some cash with gamestudio after 9 years so far. laugh

What I've got so far:
A configurable fast-select system for spells and weapons where you link them to 2 attack buttons (like in NES Zelda) and the first spell, a chargeable light/energy sphere that can be thrown in 8 directions. When at full scale, the sphere can be placed in mid-air, smashed by Superku's cape or combined with another full-scale sphere to cause triple damage.

(click to enlarge)

And a VIDEO .

Criticism, comments and ideas are welcome!
Posted By: achaziel

Re: Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/08/10 09:46

the gameplay looks really smooth and quite cool. looks like the movement and gameplay is complete so far.

maybe you should consider polishing the leveldesign and the panels. dunno how far you are with programming, to me that stuff looks about done. get everything in a consistent style and your game will be amazing, if not MADE OF AWESOME AND WIN. (i'd love to see that one with wii controls. the movement reminds me of super mario, which is genious.)

style is extremely important.

Re: Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/08/10 20:10

Thanks achaziel.
I still have to do most of the RPG coding (inventory and such) but movement is done.
The panels are placeholders but I have no idea of which style they should become. frown

Another update, this time the lava effect, with and without shader (please leftclick the picture):

And a video: youtube link.

The one with "shader: off" is too red, though. Texture by Dan Silverman.
What do you guys think?
Posted By: aztec

Re: Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/08/10 20:45

the lava effect is realy awesome... can't remember seeing such a nice particle effect work here for very long time.
Can't give an advice though wich one looks best. I think they all look great, but I'd still go for a dark read with the lava.

regards

Auzec wink
Posted By: JoGa

Re: Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/08/10 21:12

great job - the shader looks cool and dangerious xD
- the ability to create this white balls is very cool and looks like much time fun and tactic frippery - great =) the animation is awesome, superku turns around, jumping on walls and so on ... wow - keep on! =)

Re: Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/09/10 07:49

great effect. well done! I'd love to see "eruptions" like that on my sun in my space-game... will have to think about it laugh

Re: Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/09/10 12:02

the lava eruptions are amazing, i've never seen such good particle effects in here. *maybe* add a heat distortion shader, but that's all you could improve about it.

about the panels/ HUD: have a look at the stamina panel in the newer super mario games. kinda like that... http://fallingsky.blogs.com/falling_sky/super-mario-galaxy-20070308014605100.jpg or that http://www.myds.com.au/img/gallery/full/LJSLMD3W.jpg . i think something circular would fit in.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/10/10 18:24

dude, i love your project (i really do. the gameplay is fantastic) and all but the visuals hurt my eyes. want some advice? get an art director. if you have some money left over, i could put you to the right person (no, not me) who knows all that you need. he wont doit for free of course.

but ill do a few things for free. first, your graphicsl style neesd to fit the game. make it cartoony or cgi-y, much like mario galaxy or zelda wind waker. you can combine that with a simple yet effective style. when i take a look at your player model, i see simple round shapes. so id say go with that theme for the whole game. simple round shapes are easy to produce and look great if youre doing it right. use cartoony textures, with alot of round thingys and alot of colors.
create nice backgrounds for your levels, not just a dark cave. a cave can be made with color aswell.
like this:
http://www.pinkpt.com/neodex/images/5/50/Fungus_Cave.gif

or that:
http://www.bluebison.net/backgrounds/2007/1107/bats-in-a-cave-with-waterfalls-1600.jpg

it has little color but it has alot of details. something along those lines. use paralax scrolling to enhance the effect.

then get some quirky music and SFX to add some mood. i could help you with that if you want.
be creative. play a few modern side scrolling games like the freeware "legend of princess" or the new "Dragon Ball" Game for wii.

have a few examples:
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/959/959158/a-boy-and-his-blob-20090304101116560_640w.jpg
http://quiksave.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/emag_lostwinds_041508_5_47695.jpg

i personally prefer 2D backgrounds and stuff but thats up to you. you can mix them, thats what id do but its your game...

just my two cents

Re: Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/10/10 18:32

speaking of newer side scrollers... check out trine. --> http://trine-thegame.com/site/

Re: Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/11/10 14:46

Thanks for the feedback!
I removed the shader and improved the default material of the lava. Maybe I will "add a heat distortion shader" with an option in the main menu to turn it off.

Yes, I know, the graphics (still) suck. I'm still coding and developing various stuff, I did not work on the graphics yet (except for the lava/water) so it won't look that bad when it's finished but I will try it on my own (no art director).
The examples are helpful and I really like the style of your/sPIKe's last picture (http://quiksave.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/emag_lostwinds_041508_5_47695.jpg) and the style of Trine which looks really great, too (I'm not much of a fan of cartoon style like in Wind Waker). The detail and the visuals of Trine are unreachable of course and I cannot create three dimensional backgrounds as that would consume too much time, my last attempt 2 years ago failed because of this. As a result I will use 2D backgrounds with parallax scrolling (that is already implemented).
I started to learn Wings 3D some days ago and I will create a new main character, this one is 6 years old. Thanks again for the feedback.

Re: Superku: side scrolling RPG - 03/11/10 18:51

not a problem, i'd hate to see this project go down the drain.

i know that trine is pretty much unreachable, i just postet that as an example of consistent style, not to put you under pressure or somethin tongue
Posted By: mikaldinho

Re: Superku side scroller - 03/12/10 18:41

really cool game

Re: Superku side scroller - 03/29/10 17:08

Some progress information:
I've redone the gravity and rope swing code and improved the overall gameplay, it is a lot faster now. Superku has a new speedbooster, too, that can be activated by double tapping left/right. In ball mode, Superku can detonate himself to destroy breakable walls and to attack small enemies:

Re: Superku side scroller - 03/29/10 19:54

woohoo, update!

looking good, i'll be glad to get my hands on a playable demo. graphics are still a little bit simple, but better concentrate on the gameplay than on the graphics, those can be still improved as soon as the gameplay is complete.

keep it fucking up man! grin
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: Superku side scroller - 03/29/10 20:54

Looking great! Keep up the nice work.

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/25/10 16:08

Hi there!
Superku switched to isometric camera and below is a comparison between two styles, somehow a friend of mine and I prefer the first one without transitions. What do you guys think?

(click to enlarge)
Posted By: Quad

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/25/10 16:14

yeah, the first one looks better.
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/25/10 17:56

I like the transitions. I think they look professional.

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/25/10 18:08

the second
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/25/10 19:10

first one laugh

Edit: Changed my mind. You´re right, the second one is better laugh

Posted By: MPQ

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/25/10 19:19

second:D
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/25/10 19:21

...and one more second. wink
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/26/10 15:17

I think the second much better.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/26/10 15:56

have to say the second looks much better, as mentioned makes it look more professional. But the main reason to me fade's work better is because it gives a hint to the player, mentioning that he doesnt know what's beyond that wall, and that effect is missing with a full visible block. it makes the level "look and feel" a lot bigger then what it actually is wink

regards,

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/29/10 20:33

Thank you all for your feedback, the second version has won.
Too bad my notebook was infected by a very bad rootkit with hundreds of Trojan horses and viruses... ):

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/30/10 09:37

hope it didn't do any damage. what's the status so far? i can't wait to get my hands on a demo laugh

Re: Superku side scroller - 04/30/10 17:28

I had to format my hard disk but I could rescue the important Superku code (I uploaded it to rapidshare, I hope no one finds it there laugh ). I copied the rest to an external hard disk including tools and the like, they could be infected...
I guess I'll release a gameplay demo in October and a real demo one year later, do you want to become a beta tester? wink

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/19/10 00:30

There is a new gameplay video on youtube. When you've seen the first video then it's almost the same, but this is exactly what I've done the last days/weeks: I improved the overall gameplay (including rewrites of big parts of the code), the movement is faster and much more stable now. Also, now you can combine almost every move in the game with another to move more fluently and to reach other spots.

I removed the RPG elements (including item selection, inventory and the like) because in the end they weren't fun. As a result the controls are simple again (yay!), one button each for jump, attack, (magic/) spell and for movement (rope, wallrun, uprun, really simple).
If you are familiar with Super Smash Bros. 64, then you will be comfortable with the Superku attack system (I hope so). There is a first implementation of a sword (current model by DevoN, thanks buddy!) that will be your primary weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaWNFngEvcc

Not in the video: I removed the ability to divide Superku into 3 small fellows, the ability to fly and to hover and the high-speed run, they did not fit well in the game, too.
Besides, the triple jump has become a double jump and I'm working on a new move that you'll get at the end of the game which allows you to speed dash three times in mid-air (see video).
Any ideas, positive/ negative criticism would be appreciated! Thanks for reading.
Posted By: aztec

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/19/10 10:43

Looks like you copied the Idea of pikachu grom SSB from N64 wich I think is a really cool feature.
In general this whole profect is very well done.
Soldi scripting, animations, movement etc.
Just keep it going and us updated wink

regards

Aztec

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/22/10 23:21

The first Superku demo is online!
Superku has got two new magic attacks, there will be 4 in total.

As Superku is intended to be for hardcore gamers, don't expect it to be easy to learn. If you got stuck you could watch the walkthrough on youtube (or if you don't want to play the demo):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyOlnVOy3Gc

The enemies, their movement and esp. touching enemies (that was not possible before) is buggy as hell, tear the rest of the game(play) to pieces and please try to find bugs which I would not find! wink

http://www.superku.de/Demo1b.zip
(password: iamtheone)

The download includes a readme-file which should explain the controls. Your goal is to find 5 milk bottles scattered across the level.

EDIT: If I missed to explain some moves, please feel free to ask here. Btw. I compiled the game with 7.82 because of my problems with 7.84, I hope this does not cause other errors.

There is no sounds and no music yet, so start your favourite song and play the demo!
Posted By: Hummel

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 00:12

highly professional looking particle effects! oO
You seem to be quite talented in creating those.
The levels are a bit emtpy...

However, the game looks like fun wink
want to play it tongue
Posted By: 3run

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 01:31

Good laugh I like it, but it too much complicated really. Needs to be much easier laugh
Posted By: FoxZero

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 02:49

I look forward to playing the demo! This looks awesome! A steep learning curve is fine as long as the controls are intuitive. I like when my games are satisfying, nothing satisfying about casual gaming.

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 08:59

Looks great laugh

But the walls were you can walk sidewards (with the square texture) is too dark. It can'T be really good seen...
Posted By: CrYzZeR

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 09:49

I`ve played the Demo and I must say that this is just Brilliant !

The Gameplay is very nice and the Controls are really complex but after some time you can play without Problems laugh

It makes me really fun to Play!

keep up this Work laugh

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 10:33

Thanks for showing the demo to us.

I think Im too old for fast gaming
(could not pass the first room yet)

But it looks very promising.

Regards

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 10:48

Thank you guys very much!
@Damocles: Hehe, watch the walkthrough if you still have motivation left to test it.

I've uploaded a slightly different demo: some small bug fixes, the wallrun-walls are brighter, there is a timer and a counter for collected milk bottles now.

http://www.superku.de/Demo1b.zip
(password: iamtheone)

You can play the demo with a gamepad, too, just plug it in before you start the game. To change the screen resolution you currently have to open "data\slots.ini" and change 10 your desired mode.

If you did not finish the demo because something (/the game) sucked or you got stuck, please report it here!

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 10:57

Hey Superku,
First of all you have done a really great game! and as you sais its really for Hardcoregamer, because it took me over half an hour to complete this grin

second i found a bug :
thid happens, if i press the orange switch and move to that door while it closes.
after that i cant move anymore.

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 11:07

Thank you alibaba for your response, the bug will be fixed soon!

When you got stuck, press [F1] to kill yourself (killed enemies stay dead when you respawn).

Quote:
because it took me over half an hour to complete this

I'm glad the game motivated you to finish it. I don't want to bug you but my fastest speed-run was 1:55:249 so far. wink

As the new demo (Demo1b) has a timer, everyone please tell me how long it took you to collect all 5 milk bottles.

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 11:12

A general gamedesign suggestion:

Try to create a liniar tutorial level for the beginning,
where the player learns how to use the controls in an easy step
by step way. (moving, jumping, climbing walls, using acition, using that roll-ball thing)

Right now its too demanding in the first steps already.

Another thing that is a no-no is that invisible hole
in the first room, that you have to jump into as "ball".
There needs to be some kind of marker or arrow pointing
to what to do, else the player feels tricked on.

When you implement compelx movement action / timing, you
should do this step by step by making it harder,
so the player can learn how to control and time the
movements.
(the classic "try, learn, succeed, get reward" cycle)

Always implement new action, by showing an obstacle
that cant by surcumbed with the know action ("try"),
let the player try a new move ("learn") (maybe guid with a popup)
And let the player pass it ("succeed") with the newly learned move ("reward")

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 11:18

Thanks for the hints, Damocles. These are some good points.
When you start the game your only abilities will be jumping and ledge grabbing only and during the first third you will gain most of the rest. If you have played Metroid (Super, Zero, Fusion), that's what I'm aiming for.

Code:
Another thing that is a no-no is that invisible hole
in the first room, that you have to jump into as "ball".

Haha, you're right. It's not good to put this into the first room, but there is a crack in the wall, apparently too small, though.

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 11:22

For an item like this, is should be passed with a single new action.

In this case its better to place the hole on the flat ground,
so it does not need anoter action (jumping) before using it
the first time.

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/23/10 22:38

Wirklich sehr schön geworden. Man merkt richtig das du hinter deinem Projekt stehst(ich habe nicht son durchhaltevermögen^^").

Werde die demo testen wenn ich die nerven dazu habe(MED hat mich heute genug genervt^^)

MFG
Rackscha

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/24/10 10:32

wie schon auf youtube kommentiert, das movement haut mich aus den socken. auch die partikeleffekte sehen wahnsinnig gut aus, nur die levels sind etwas karg. ich nehm einfach mal an dass das styling noch auf deinem plan steht und ganz zuletzt kommt.

es wurde ja mal bemängelt, dass der main character unpassend wirkt bzw nicht viel hergibt... inzwischen bin ich der meinung, dass die braune knutschkugel gar nicht schlecht aussieht, man muss den player halt auch mal in aktion sehn.

wenn du da dranbleibst und die levels optisch noch etwas aufpeppst wird das spiel der helle wahnsinn. freu mich schon.

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/25/10 21:13

Danke Leute. Ich spiel die Tage noch ein paar Sidescroller (Metroid, Mario, Mega Man usw.), um mich für die Level-Optik inspirieren zu lassen.

I've started to work on the main character model (= Superku):

(I've already smoothed out some chunky parts.)

He/ it (not sure about that, yet) always was supposed to get fur, but now I think reptilian skin would fit way better.
What do you think?

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/25/10 21:25

I Would stay with the "old" style. This kind of detail.. our "knutschkugel" has gone frown
Posted By: Hummel

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/25/10 22:15

agree with Rackscha
Posted By: the_clown

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/26/10 09:21

Originally Posted By: Hummel
agree with Rackscha

Me too.
I love the old model. grin
It's cute and reconizable; Also, I think a more realistic model wouldnt fit the style, even if the realism is only in terms of material.
I'd keep the old model.
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/26/10 13:20

I think so, too. I love the old Superku, he`s so cute lovingly designed. The new one looks like like a monster in Doom 3, I don`t think this fits your style (and my taste).

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/26/10 14:10

agreed!

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/26/10 14:59

wie schon gesagt, bleib bei der knutschkugel.
Posted By: TrackingKeks

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/26/10 15:00

ja, die knutschkugel ist viel besser.

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/28/10 13:45

Thank you guys, I will work on the design but I won't keep the old model.
The story is more complex than you'd expect from a regular sidescroller and Superku has to look that evil at the end of the game, maybe I will let him look cute the first half of the game then.

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/28/10 14:44

lol, I was bored for a second, and drew how I imagined superku as evil versions.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the first one being a dinosaur/dragon like version.
the second (normal one?) would be like an evil goblin with fur, when transformed into a ball, he actually becomes a hairy tumbleweed grin hahahaa...

I'm sorry to SPAM your thread like this, just wanted to share it for the fun of it tongue

regards,

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/28/10 15:47

Haha that is not spamming, that is great! wink
I really like the first one, but he would not fit to the movement, maybe he will be an enemy or a friend. I tried (long/ short) fur yesterday but I couldn't get it to look right.

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/28/10 15:55

Originally Posted By: Superku
Haha that is not spamming, that is great! wink
I really like the first one, but he would not fit to the movement, maybe he will be an enemy or a friend. I tried (long/ short) fur yesterday but I couldn't get it to look right.

Maybe i'll draw some more if I feel like it tongue
And if you dont mind ofcourse. I like the hairy look alot myself as well, and I have some idea where it might work...

as for the Dino character... why wouldnt it work, he doesnt need to roll, he can just smash walls :'D hahahaa

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/28/10 16:56

http://img408.imageshack.us/i/movement201005281853347.jpg/
Sometimes i get stuck here.
I'd change the player model too ^^

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/28/10 17:34

Hm how is that possible? Does it happen when you jump sideways into the platform or when the platform moves up again?

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/28/10 17:55

No. Just when jumping sideways. I actually had this bug quite often and it even happens with static platforms.

Re: Superku side scroller - 05/28/10 18:06

You mean the thin platforms as seen in the picture, right?
I cannot reproduce the bug, I've added some lines of code that keep Superku from getting stuck in a door, though.

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/21/10 14:00

I think I've found a (level) style that fits nicely, what do you guys think?

The lava texture will be replaced, soon.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/21/10 14:27

like: lava, background, wheels
dislike: walls

The walls should have more variation

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/21/10 14:44

Yes this fits nice, only change background wall and then will be a great!

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/22/10 20:57

Thanks, you're right, the walls will get more variation!
I've changed the lava and I've made a background prototype but I'm not sure if it fits: ->?

The background does not change its position when you move around the level.

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/22/10 21:01

The lava is now too blurry, it had been already good. I don't think you have to change that.
Posted By: BastovBros

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/22/10 21:08

I like the new lava more......

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/22/10 21:18

A bit too blurry but a less repetitive pattern than the old version.

In overall it is better than the first version, but maybe a little bit less blur would work out fine as well.

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/27/10 11:49

i actually like the blurry lava. looks... erm, how should i put this... hotter.
Posted By: Roel

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/30/10 08:58

I think the lava should be between the old and the new one.
the new one looks less repetitive, which is good, and smoother.
it is a little too blurry to my taste, but it looks well done already
Those particle effects look nice too.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/30/10 09:58

i like the new lava also laugh
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/30/10 10:22

This looks very good from scripting point of view.

By the way, you probably know that there is already a Supercow game available:

Re: Superku side scroller - 06/30/10 10:55

Thank you all for your comments. I thought I should make the lava blurry because you don't see its cooled and textured surface but molten rock from the side.

@Frank: Hehe yes I know "Supercow" but this should not be a problem, Superku is a reserved trademark since 2003 and my very first Superku game is on "20 Actionspiele in 3D" from 2003, too.

Re: Superku side scroller - 07/01/10 18:50

prefer the new lava, blur makes it look like heat

Re: Superku side scroller - 11/23/10 23:28

And again, first or second version?

(Ignore the plants, please.)
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Superku side scroller - 11/24/10 00:33

Wow, it's looking very good!! It's a tough call but I think I like the second version more.

Jibb

Re: Superku side scroller - 11/24/10 05:33

Finally an update.

REALLY tough call, but I'm with Julz here, second one looks better.

(We're talking about the edges of the blocks, aren't we? 'Cause the HUD seems different, too...)

Re: Superku side scroller - 11/24/10 09:17

I like the first one better, because of the gradient shadows. They make it easier to distinguish the walkable areas of the level from the surrounding void. They also funnel my attention to the place of action so to say.
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Superku side scroller - 11/24/10 11:01

Yes, I also like the first one better.
It doesn't look like just a small place but a much larger area which you can't just see. The second one is too "abgehackt"
Posted By: William

Re: Superku side scroller - 11/24/10 11:32

Wow this looks really cool! I love plateformers, and the ball rolling looks cool. As for the pic, definitely the first one. grin

Re: Superku side scroller - 11/26/10 01:52

first
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Superku side scroller - 11/26/10 06:43

first (reason: see Saturnus' and JustSid's post above)

Re: Superku side scroller - 11/27/10 13:43

Thanks guys, no. 1 has won. I might reduce the vertical scale of the shadow gradient, though.

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/05/11 17:44

Small update:

http://www.superku.de/superku050111a.jpg
(First Miniboss where you get the Kuball ability.)

http://www.superku.de/superku050111b.jpg
(The frame is just a placeholder.)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZE1rMr7IQ[/video]
(The level is still lacking some details and I've removed the torches because they do not look right, yet.)

Superku will have 7 (more or less) big levels and some small ones.
I plan to release it somewhere between December 2012 and April 2013.

Comments and criticism welcome!
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/05/11 17:55

Dude, that rocks!

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/05/11 18:00

Some cool stuff going on there.

Graphics need some more work, but the scripting appears to be rock solid.
Posted By: 3run

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/05/11 18:28

Great as always bro laugh
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/05/11 18:39

Way-cool. The shield mechanic looks quite useful.

The waves in the water don't seem to move much, but otherwise the effect itself is very cool laugh

Keep it up!

Jibb
Posted By: Roel

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/05/11 19:07

Really cool video!
it is funny to see an old video afterwards, and notice the huge progress the game made!
Posted By: Harry Potter

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/05/11 20:01

Cool. I like your physics effects very much. smile

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/05/11 20:07

Water is pure WIN o.o.

Great work. Something big is coming laugh

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/09/11 11:13

What say laugh Great work!
This things with watter looks really amazing, and also battle where player use his shild is reallu nice.
The only thing i may not like it, is a fire projectiles. Maybe you can try make this more cartoony. Everything else is perfect!

Keep up great work!

Re: Superku side scroller - 01/09/11 12:10

Holy crap, this is so awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on that game.
© 2024 lite-C Forums