The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement

Posted By: Lennart_hillen

The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 01:16

Hello,

The day has finally come for DreamLight Development to present to you our current Gamestudio project : The Realms of Fantasy.
We have been working on this project for over 5 Months and are working real hard to finish the demo.
Below is some information that you can read. You can find more information concerning this Project or Dreamlight Dev. on our website : www.Dreamlight.tk

-------------------------------------------------
-General Game information-

The Realms of Fantasy is a single player RPG with a complicated Story line. The game uses a turn-based Combat system with alot of options such as Healing spells, Black magic, Items, attacks and Special attacks.
The game offers a leveling system wich allows you to train for Xp and level up for the harder parts in the game.
There are many trainable Skills. Here are a couple of them for an example:

- Fire Explosion
- Magnetude Bolt
- Silent Blow
- Health regeneration
- Slowdown
- and alot more!

Of course, there are alot of enemies who all need different approaches on the battlefield. A couple monster examples are :

- Gnorm (Forest - Mountain - Vulcano - Ocean)
- Black Spider (Small - Great)
- Flamoth
- Gyra

These were only a couple examples of the monsters that are completely moddeled, texturerd, animated and ready to be put in the game. The final game will have loads more!
The game will also contain lots of Bosses. An example of a boss, wich is already finished, is the Cave Monster, a boss that you will have to face in the demo!

-Game story-Line-

In the land of Iorlya stands the Light of Excalliath. Its Bright light ment to keep the Peace to the Northern people. The land divided into the north and the south regions keep a balance between Evil and Good because of this Light. But 500 years ago this balance was destroyed. The Dark Lord Borroth could not live with the idea that he did not Rule over the entire world... His lust for power grew so strong that he prepared an army to attack the Northern people and rob them from their only thing that gave them their strenght. The Light of Excalliath. The plan of Borroth to fade the light was a succes and it was now only a matter of defeating the nortern folk and collecting his ultimate price. But for Borroth, this did not go as planned.

Prologue:

"It left us..., our only Hope, our Faith, our only Guide. Its light now blind and dead. How will we survive this fload of Evil, if our saviour is not here to help. The sound of an unescapable war rumbling and echoing in the mist. The smell of death in the air. A lethal trap, none can escape and our only option to wait. To wait and tighten the grasp of our swords."
"I feel trapped. Trapped in a nightmare. Trapped in a world I can't escape... They are coming,... and as long as its light is dead, I cannot see our Victory." The light that was once so bright and powerfull, has faded by the Dark powers of the west. My only wish is that my Kingdom succeeds in performing the Last call, a ritual to recall our brightest light. Untill our saviour flashes back on us and all the dark places in my Kingdom will be lightened, I can do nothing more then hope... Hope with all my heart that my men can last this battle till its light saves us. They are coming...I can hear them... I can...feel them..The war, begins...

"Romirth Groyin VI - Battle report of the "Battle for Excalliath".

The battle for the light of Excalliath was fought on the land of the Northern folk. Many died that day and when none could see an escape and all hope was lost, the light was restored. A huge flash of light covered the battlefield and Excalliath made her most powerfull summoning ever performed. With a huge flash of light, borroth was thrown of his horse and his magic army was destroyed. Borroth, was defeated... The people of Iorlya were saved, once and for all...at least... so they thought. Without realising it, the balance between Good and Evil was completely destroyed and nature came with the most logical solution. The rebalancing of life...
Now, 500 years have passed since Lord borroth was defeated, and rumor grows of a man whose name had been forgotten by the people of the Northern regions. On top of all this, The light of excalliath has faded a little for no knowing reason. With its light now less bright then before, people are starting to feel the same fear again they felt 500 years ago. The shadow is returning to Iorlya, magical creatures are showing up on all the places with no good intentions. None can really explain all this, and if this light won't be restored quickly, it could mean the downfall for mankind...
The main story goes mainly about a boy named Dain who has just become 16 years old. He lives in a quiet farmers place named Greenwoods Village. His father died in a war 13 years ago and Dain now only lives with his mother on the western boarders of Greenwoods. He has a peacefull and quiet life but when the Light of Excalliath fades, his life makes a drastical change. He chooses to go on a journey to defeat whoever is causing the Light of Excalliath to fade. This choice decides over the lives of all others in Iorlya for what he does not know is that he is the one person who has a chance of stopping him. It will be a hard journey and will cost him all of his strenght to take... But someone has to stop him, cause if he does not find a way, No one will...

Below are various screenshots of The Realms of Fantasy. Many scenes have not been completely finished yet, so there might be some things that need improvement:

screen 1
screen 2
screen 3
screen 4

If you’re interested in our project, you can have a further look on our website at :

www.dreamlight.tk

There you will find more screenshots, artwork, information and downloads for your watching pleasure J. Stay tuned for more updates, since we are planning to release a lot more screenshots and other downloads in the next couple of weeks.

-DreamLight Development-

Posted By: ROMAC

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 01:23

Hi,

erm I don't mean to be rude, but this is not Showcase II material. I took a look at all your screenshots, not only the ones displayed here.
Some parts of the levels are okay.
I like the dark feel.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 01:49

This thread doesn't break any of the rules for showcase II, Romac, so it'll stay here (though "professional shots" is a matter of opinion, you're right ).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I didn't read the whole text but I must admit you've some talent for writing. I'll maybe send you pm about that.
-------------
Shot 1: I DO like the geometry as it is a model. Gives you the impression of a real cave. The brick texture in the background looks strange. It's seamless but you can see that it's a repeating texture. The torches....dunno, it's too small to see anything.
Shot 2: Now the texture looks too plastic. Lighting is just wrong because it's emitted by a not burning torch ( ). Cracked wall looks good IMO
Shot 3: Looks like this shall become a special place. If so it looks too empty. Again this seamless but repeating texture. The pool in the foreground is just cut out of the ground. Make some steps! Anyway everything looks a bit primitive like. Add details (statues as models) and something that moves. Empty rooms with out motion are cold and boring.
Shot 4: The nose could need some mesh smooth but I like the model. Very funny.

I don't think this is professional quality (right now) but maybe the code is very good. I'd advice you to find some additional level designers which can work on details.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 01:54

hi,

i am working on this project too as scripter.
also i do a little bit model design (dunno if ya saw the site, but the model from that cave monster is mine ).
I gotta admit something, i real time the level looks better than on screens.
And we have like 9 levels working now this is only one of them.
We are currently in development stage off the demo and we are aiming on it for in about 4 weeks.
And for the lights BTW we are working on a flickering light script for them

regards,
Posted By: qwerty823

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 01:56

Based on this:

Quote:

We have been working on this project for over 5 Months and are working real hard to finish the demo.

and this:

Quote:

This forum is for ambitious projects in professional quality only. This means games that are clearly above amateur level, are suited to sell and have reached a certain state of completion.

I would say this does not fit. I still think the work is above the level of most showcase I stuff, but its still not quite showcase II stuff. Maybe when its complete and the demo is released, then so, but not at this time.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 06:52

I accidently deleted a post by Romac_Studios:
"I was basing what I said on ALL screenshots, not only the ones posted in this thread."

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 07:01

Hello,
Most of you are right about these things, but I do want to note that those screens aren't fully completed scenes yet. For example, "the not burning torch and the cracked wall" screen: The torch is going to be an ancient Gem wich is glowing in the dark and has a blue light flash around it. This still needs improvement since we have to change the colour of the light and some more details.
Also the "main hall" (shot with the pool in it) isn't completed yet. This is going to contain a huge machine, with the old man to operate it. Here you can expect steaming pipes, red glowing metal and more!
We are sorry we haven't posted fully completed screenshots yet, but these will be update once we have completed these.
Lately, we have been mostly workin on the programming and the models of the game and since we aren't the biggest team imaginable, we haven't been able to add all the small details in the levels yet.
We will keep you updated!

Posted By: n00b_around_here

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 07:05

Yo silverquest,
Good work...
I love the RPG genre, and the panels from your game looks already good.
Posted By: blaaaaa

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 07:06

the mushrooms(pilze?) are looking funny
Posted By: Crossy

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 07:38

Is the combat going to be a turn-based kinda thing?

Also, looks good, but i have a hard time seeing the level properly with this computer, the monitor is dark
Posted By: vete

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 13:00

i think some particle would really spice it up. It looks good, but sort of monotone or monotonous (is this an english word?) Anyways, if u added some dripping water from within the wall and aceiling or something, wold look nice. Mabe some occasional sprites on floor, such as dirt, and/or blood, but it depends on ur style. Just to make it so the users eyes will jump from thing to thing, instead of looking at the tunnels. But its just my opinion.

Thanq for your attention.
Tim

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/03/04 15:26

@crossy

yeah this game will become a turn based RPG.

@vete
like stated before by silverquest:
Quote:

the "main hall" (shot with the pool in it) isn't completed yet. This is going to contain a huge machine, with the old man to operate it. Here you can expect steaming pipes, red glowing metal and more!

So there will be more!

regards,
Posted By: Julius

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/04/04 19:53

Looking good! I DO want to say something, though. Turn-based combat is one of the reasons I don't like KOTOR. I think KOTOR is totally overrated, partly because of the turn-based combat. It is boring. RPGs are known for requiring many more player skills than other genres. Turn-based combat takes away the basis for most games - reflexes and other combat skills. You can still upgrade the character's combat abilities AND have real-time combat, and it is easier to program. When I see turn-based combat in an RPG I think, "Why bother?"

Just wanted to point that out. I'm probably not the only person who finds turn-based combat annoying.

Still, the game looks good, and the story sounds exciting! Keep up the good work!

Julian

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/04/04 21:22

Quote:

When I see turn-based combat in an RPG I think, "Why bother?"

Just wanted to point that out. I'm probably not the only person who finds turn-based combat annoying.

I can see your point, but what you are forgetting is that there are millions of people who love the turn based combat system (just look at the final fantasy series, wich were HUGE successes! millions were sold!)
KOTOR was something different, since it didn't really have the tactical side of the combat system, But this turn based part isn't like KOTOR. Its better to compare it with Final Fantasy since there are several tactics to defeat the enemies wich will require some stragety of the player.
Of course it is possible that it is just not your kind of game, But I think that there are alot of people who do like this kind of fighting in games

Posted By: Wade_Adams

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/05/04 04:27

Quote:

Turn-based combat takes away the basis for most games - reflexes and other combat skills.

That is why I like turn based combat Turn based RPG's are more about strategy, thought, and story than reflexes and complex button sequences.

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/05/04 15:03

excactly And that is why we choose to make a Turn-based combat system in this RPG; because the Story and Strategy are more important then reflexes

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 05/03/04 15:25

Quote:

Looking good! I DO want to say something, though. Turn-based combat is one of the reasons I don't like KOTOR. I think KOTOR is totally overrated, partly because of the turn-based combat.

well julian,
our game will be a lot different than kotor.
for example.

KOTOR had turn based rpg in a different way.
what i mean to say is:
the turn based is different because you still can walk around and run away,in our game, you wont be able to walk around and so you'll have more time to plan youre next strike.

hope you get my idea...

regards to everybody,
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 05/06/04 02:12

Just let alone for me the Title of the game is very catching.

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 05/06/04 03:18

thanks,

we are now in a state of 85% demo done..
you can expect (atleast we hope so) a demo within a month, maybe 2.
tell me if you are interested, and what you would like ro see edited.

regards,

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 05/06/04 03:25

Yes, that is true.
We are working very hard, and have finished alot more of the game at this moment. We have completed alot new things including levels, models, music and more! You can expect a big site update soon!
I can also tell you that we are working on a trailer for the game, but the excact release date of this has not been decided yet.
So stay tuned!!
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 05/06/04 15:46

I just wanted to remark that I've been in contact with Dennis for a little while, and have seen many screenshots and a video or two, and have had the pleasure of getting general 'inside' information about the projecy... and i must say that this is a great project, and the design and looks of the game is great.

Are we talking AAA tile with a million dollar budget? no... but noone here is anyway (are they?) But this team, from what i've seen, is doing an excellent job, and using excellent skills.

...."not showcase 2 material" .. and then pushing the issue... hey, get bent... if only everyone was saavy enough to give useful critcism instead of just criticism, maybe more people would'nt give up on their projects.

If there's something a person does'nt like, just point it out and say why.. hopefully people will take it for what it's worth. The screenshots really don't do they're project justice, and it will be a great addition to the games created with 3DGS

Jason

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 05/06/04 16:08

thanks jason,

that was the kinda support i need to go on...
not only the good things offcourse.
Quote:

...."not showcase 2 material" .. and then pushing the issue... hey, get bent... if only everyone was saavy enough to give useful critcism instead of just criticism, maybe more people would'nt give up on their projects.

If there's something a person does'nt like, just point it out and say why.. hopefully people will take it for what it's worth. The screenshots really don't do they're project justice, and it will be a great addition to the games created with 3DGS

that is the criticism we NEED to continue and make this title an pro one (atleast we try to).

Quote:

Are we talking AAA tile with a million dollar budget? no... but noone here is anyway (are they?) But this team, from what i've seen, is doing an excellent job, and using excellent skills.

true for us,
as the matter of fact, we had just enough for A6...
So everything done here is made in: WED, MED and SED (and all other things are done with freeware stuff and so on).

so, if anybody finds another "wrong" in one of the screens, please tell us.
We'll fix it right away.

stay tuned for more scxreens and maybe a video in the next update

regards and good luck to all of you out there,
Posted By: Jase

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 05/07/04 01:00

So any ideas of when the demo may be released?

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 05/07/04 01:41

we hope to have it finished this month.

regards,

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 05/08/04 17:45

We cannot give an exact release date, since in every process always some things are harder then expected, but personally, if I look at the time we made this, I think it will take one or two more months. It kinda depends on how smooth things work out.
Posted By: playwatcher

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 05/21/04 05:05

Hey pretty cool game. I like the textures and the atmosphere in those caves.
Keep up the Good Work

--------------------------------------
www.rgames.tk

Posted By: Asse

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 06/02/05 19:59

Hey, I've seen some screens in the AUM 47 and searched for the title and your company name. Now I just found this old thread and a coming-soon-site.

Are there any informations 'bout this title on the net, the screens look very impressive!!

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 06/02/05 20:41

Quote:

Hey, I've seen some screens in the AUM 47 and searched for the title and your company name. Now I just found this old thread and a coming-soon-site.

Are there any informations 'bout this title on the net, the screens look very impressive!!

Hehe, I didn't know this thread even existed anymore hehe...

If you're interested in our project, I'm really glad to say that you can expect alot more in the near future We're still working on it very hard
There are so many cool things I would love to share with you guys, but that's all I can say for now...

Just wait, wait patiently and you won't regret it

-Lennart

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 06/03/05 05:19

true, true...
the only thing is, all things shown.written here, is totally thrown away, so if you want this story, go ahead :P

we're gonna anounce the all new TRoF soon, just wait untill that time has come

*glad people liked the AUM anouncememnt of the all new TRoF *

regards,
Posted By: Bird

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 06/03/05 11:58

i'm glad you like the game
Posted By: Asse

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 06/03/05 12:28

All things are thrown away?? If the screens look the same way like the others do then I'm more than glad!! I love the textures!

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 06/03/05 12:32

Yes, al the things you could see in this thread from Apr 03 2004 are thrown away.
The truth is, were weren't happy with the overall quality of the game, and since we had learned such a great deal of things, we decided to take a fresh start.

The screens seen in Aum are just the tip of the Iceberg
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 06/03/05 13:28

Yeah! I got the opportunity to play this great game a bit some time ago. Even though it had only some exploration and few other things it sure was great! This is going to be one of the best games created with 3DGS.
Posted By: Bird

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 06/04/05 04:03

Quote:

This is going to be one of the best games created with 3DGS.

hehe, cool to hear that

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 06/04/05 16:28

Quote:

Yeah! I got the opportunity to play this great game a bit some time ago.

which was nothing compared to what we got now :P
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 06/06/05 01:57

Quote:

This is going to be one of the best games created with 3DGS.

...make that second best... (hehehe)

JK can't wait to see more since it's been a while!

Keep up the awesome work guys!

Jason
Posted By: Knuckles

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/10/07 13:14

Is this game still going on? I saw some screens in the AUM site and it looked awesome. Is there an official website for this game anywhere? I'd love to see the progress!

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/11/07 09:08

Quote:

Is this game still going on? I saw some screens in the AUM site and it looked awesome. Is there an official website for this game anywhere? I'd love to see the progress!

No, the game currently is on ice, as we werent happy with the way it was going.
We hadda redesign the whole game, and basically start from scratch (with a story this time, lol)

Now all 3 of us are way too busy on school (lennart and me study game design, and sven... i dunno XD) So maybe we will continue when the summer vacations start, but for now we try to make the best from school, to possibly get a good life (as far as that's possible for gaming addicts, lol).

You'll hear from us!
regards,
Posted By: Knuckles

Re: The Realms of Fantasy - Announcement - 04/24/07 01:53

Aww! I'm sorry to hear that it was stopped! This game looked so professional, too!
© 2024 lite-C Forums