Predator - Human Hunter Project

Posted By: painkiller

Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/05/10 18:25

Hi all. I've dedided to open this thread in order to show you my progress in the developing ot the game.

Predator - Human Hunter will be a First Person Shooter (FPS) in which you will be able to be a Predator and manage their arms in their favourite activity: Hunting.

I haven't written the story yet, but this is the main idea: The Predator spaceship fails during an interstellar travel and they have to do an emegency landing in Earth. Unfortunatelly, you lost the control of the spaceship and you and your clan got crashed in the middle of a Jungle. Due to the accident, your clanmates are dead and you are the only survivor. There is a militar base near the Jungle, so your goal will be go to the base, get in, and try to use their technology to concact your planet and ask for a rescue team. Obuiously, the mission won't be easy.

The game is currently in a very early stage, i'm working on the predator models, code, animations, etc before starting to make the different levels. I'm alone in the project, so it will be developed very slow. Anyway, if you are interested to help in the project, contact me wink

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/05/10 20:58

Finally I have a Predator model to use in the project, model created by Allan Greenspan. Here is a image:

Posted By: Rackscha

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/05/10 21:13

And you are allowed to use it?

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/05/10 21:20

Originally Posted By: Rackscha
And you are allowed to use it?

of course wink here is the page of the model: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PoserPredatorTBKoen/
Posted By: Blink

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 00:56

nice model, i cant wait to see him in action. you should do this game in third person so you can see the model, or if you have the professional version, you should put some mirrored surfaces in the game so you can show off this cool model.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 02:00

Originally Posted By: Blink
or if you have the professional version, you should put some mirrored surfaces in the game

RTT works with Commercial since A7 wink

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 08:38

nice model, i cant wait to see him in action. you should do this game in third person so you can see the model, or if you have the professional version, you should put some mirrored surfaces in the game so you can show off this cool model.

Yeah, but i think in a FPS you can place better on the role of the Predator. Also, the model has too much polygons, so if I show all the body instead of only the arms the game will run very slow.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 12:30

try a polycutter(found one long time ago which was free, but cant remember).

YOu should be able to reduce the polys with it, without loosing visual apperiance

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 14:01

Originally Posted By: Rackscha
try a polycutter(found one long time ago which was free, but cant remember).

YOu should be able to reduce the polys with it, without loosing visual apperiance

yes, i've used a tool from 3D Studio Max and i've reduced polygons. However, the model still has a lot of plygons, so I decided to use only the arms, they have 12500 polygons after reduction, from 30000 polygons before reduction. The complete model reduced has more than 60000 polys from 190000 that it has before, so i can't use the complete model
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 16:07

first off:
you are not allowed to use the predator, the look and the weapons, for they are copyrighted.

second:
the model doe snot work ingame. end of story. too high poly, badly modeled and in fact really ugly.

third:
jungle. really? you do know that its probably the worst case scenario for the engine to handle, a jungle? many have tried, many have failed.

fourth:
i dont want to talk down on you. i really dont. but you have to understand that what you are about to do was doomed to fail from the very instance you had the idea. and you will learn that. it does not matter to me at all if you believe me. i couldnt care less. but you will learn that i am right.

fifth:
if you want to do something, anything, first find out what you are good at and train that skill. create a small game first. do some research. dont jump into there. making a game nowadays is not like it was years ago. and even then, this wouldnt have worked...

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 17:00

@mr. schwarz: you know I only use A6 commercial,lol. i dont have mirrors.

@spike...wow, picard facepalm, harsh,lol.

@painkiller, good luck!
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 17:32

at least wait for the new movie before you start anything wink

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 18:39

Originally Posted By: sPlKe
first off:
you are not allowed to use the predator, the look and the weapons, for they are copyrighted.

second:
the model doe snot work ingame. end of story. too high poly, badly modeled and in fact really ugly.

third:
jungle. really? you do know that its probably the worst case scenario for the engine to handle, a jungle? many have tried, many have failed.

fourth:
i dont want to talk down on you. i really dont. but you have to understand that what you are about to do was doomed to fail from the very instance you had the idea. and you will learn that. it does not matter to me at all if you believe me. i couldnt care less. but you will learn that i am right.

fifth:
if you want to do something, anything, first find out what you are good at and train that skill. create a small game first. do some research. dont jump into there. making a game nowadays is not like it was years ago. and even then, this wouldnt have worked...

1 - There are a lot of renders, webs with predator stuff and 3D models on the internet and there isn't any problem.

2 - You aren't right. The Model with only the arms (as it is a FPS) works perfectly on GS. I got 160 frames when rendering the arms and 170 fps I get rendering the old copyrighted test models, so, there isn't any problem.

3 - The Jungle will only be an introduction, all the rest of the game action will be into the militar base. So the jungle doesn't have to be very big, a small jungle with simple tall trees will be correct.

4 and 5 - This isn't the first game I've developed. I've created a Space Shuttle Simulator and a Car Simulator Game, apart of other testing projects since 2007, so i'm not newbie, I'm only newbie in FPS coding, but it doesn't seems to me very difficult.
I know the project developing will be long, but I'm really interested in the Project. For example, for the Car simulator I'm trying to model all my city, a much bigger Project than this, and I'm developing it for three years. So i know how long can be a project.

@mr. schwarz: you know I only use A6 commercial,lol. i dont have mirrors.

@spike...wow, picard facepalm, harsh,lol.

@painkiller, good luck!

thanks Blink wink

Originally Posted By: Blattsalat
at least wait for the new movie before you start anything wink

I'm really interested in the new movie, I hope it will be great with Adrien Brody between the actors.
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 20:13

1) Just because others use such material, it doesn't mean it is not illegal to use it (Yep, i also think its copyrighted)

2) 170 Fps with one model??? You know how slow that is(for one model)?

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/06/10 21:16

Originally Posted By: Rei_Ayanami
1) Just because others use such material, it doesn't mean it is not illegal to use it (Yep, i also think its copyrighted)

2) 170 Fps with one model??? You know how slow that is(for one model)?

1 - Maybe it's copyrighted, I don't know, probably yes. But there are a lot of fan movies of predator running worldwide and known by millions of people and they haven't any problem. I think they permit fans creations between some limits. Anyway, if I receive a warning of the copyright owners, I will cancel the project inmediately.

2 - 170 are the frames that I got with the models that i used for testing, in-game i get about 60 frames. And with the new models i get 160 frames, so I predict that in-game it will run about 50 frames. I have to tell you that the Pc that i'm using is very old, a 2.0 Ghz with 1gb of ram and Geforce 4, in newer pcs the frame rate will be better.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 06:11

1) yes it is copyrighted, 100%. BUT you never told us if you plan to make your game commercial...
because if not its a freeware game, and thus you are allowed to use anything from predator franchise.

Like me, im making a Survival Horror game ala Resident Evil, so if i not go commercial i could call my game, i.e. "Resident Evil: The Lost Chapter" or anything. But i do not so, because i dont know yet if i ever wanna sell it or not.

But please anyone correct me if im wrong.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 06:58

I think if it is a personnal project no matter with copyright.
And i doubt a lot the game to go such quality as the last Predator game on PC !

Why not making original characters, space ships, planet based on hunting with new weapons, powers instead of copying the AAA game ? And there are older predator games, i doubt you reach such
textures, level design ,sound, music and models quality !

Well no matter for a personnal project just go on and make it laugh

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 08:59

Originally Posted By: chris_oat
1) yes it is copyrighted, 100%. BUT you never told us if you plan to make your game commercial...
because if not its a freeware game, and thus you are allowed to use anything from predator franchise.

Like me, im making a Survival Horror game ala Resident Evil, so if i not go commercial i could call my game, i.e. "Resident Evil: The Lost Chapter" or anything. But i do not so, because i dont know yet if i ever wanna sell it or not.

But please anyone correct me if im wrong.

Originally Posted By: ratchet
I think if it is a personnal project no matter with copyright.
And i doubt a lot the game to go such quality as the last Predator game on PC !

Why not making original characters, space ships, planet based on hunting with new weapons, powers instead of copying the AAA game ? And there are older predator games, i doubt you reach such
textures, level design ,sound, music and models quality !

Well no matter for a personnal project just go on and make it laugh

The game will be free, that's why I put the example of the free fan movies that haven't problems.

I only do it for fun, it doesn't matter if the game don't reach the quality of the new game.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 11:41

Well,
Even if you release it for free, its still copyrighted.
But they just wont care(like other companies).

Look around for anything that might look LIKE wow (fancomics etc).
THey all got letters o.O

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 12:19

yes, that's what i was trying to say, it's like the fan videos of star wars with people with lightsabers, lucasfilms allow it.
Posted By: fogman

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 13:32

To be sure, you should contact them directly.
Iīve made really good experiences with such a strategy.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 14:09

Originally Posted By: fogman
To be sure, you should contact them directly.
Iīve made really good experiences with such a strategy.

emm and who should i contact exactly? 30th Century Fox? i suposse they are the copyright owners, they appear in the movies and all the games.
Posted By: DJBMASTER

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 14:59

I suppose they can only do anything if you profit in anyway from the project, so as it's freeware then it's ok.

Another way they can act is if you use models ripped from the games, but if you're using your own material, then it should be fine.
Posted By: Slin

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 15:08

It is not just the model, but also the idea behind it and its design which is copyrighted. Lets say that you create the perfect predator game and publish it for free. It for sure wonīt be possible anymore to sell the ones which really have the rights to do so. So there you could cause some financial damage or whatever. It doesnīt matter if your project is free or not, point is that you donīt have the rights to do so without asking. Some donīt care, others care a lot and shut any project like this down.
Best is to just ask and if you are not allowed to do it, create something similar but based on own ideas and designs.
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 15:55

yea i dont ever see the point in cloning an already existing idea.. why does it NEED to be predator? cant you come up with your own idea? some dude with blades and predator-like behaviour? this is how legends are born, someone CAME UP with an idea for predator, you can come up with something now and if you says its because you wanna use the model.. then you've failed already since you should be able to layout your entire gameplay before worrying about visuals

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 16:19

dont talk him becuz he is da pro dudez he already created da gamez!

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 16:33

Quote:
emm and who should i contact exactly? 30th Century Fox?

Iīm no predator, so I canīt say for sure which one to ask.

But if you want to do such a big project, you should be able to determine the right contact person. wink

But try 20th insteat of 30th, because otherwise you wonīt get an answer. grin
If you aim for a clone, you should everything and even more about predator.
This mistake (30th <-> 20th) should give you some food for deep thoughts.

Quote:
I'm really interested in the Project

Against this background it was even plain awkward.
Youīll have to _be_ a predator, otherwise your attempt wonīt work.

I can perfectly understand clones.
You donīt have to worry about gameplay, story, etc...
Itīs all there, as reference.
Why not?
But donīt underestimate the amount of the needed investigation.

And be aware that it doesnīt matter if itīs commercial or not.
Youīll need the copyright.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 17:30

I've send an e-mail to Fox, now we only have to wait to know the answer and if the game can be created.
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 17:56

Originally Posted By: painkiller
I've send an e-mail to Fox, now we only have to wait to know the answer and if the game can be created.

wow!
Posted By: the_clown

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 18:57

I would continue working on it in every case - if they say you arent allowed to publish it, free or not, then well, you gained some more experience in fps development, and if they say you ARE allowed, you didnt waste time waiting.
I'm really curious what this leads to however.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/07/10 22:33

dude, grow yourself some own ideas!
i wont even touch the pro made franchise crap they try to sell with every movie, so i doubt some lonewolf might create something better then them.

on the other hand your best weapons are: no budget, no experience, no team and no copyright. use this advantages wisely and you might get sued your ass off this planet wink

the people here are just trying to help you so you dont waste time, energy and maybe even money.

the good point though: as long as you dont write Predator anywhere on your game, nobody will even recognize that this model should be the predator from the movie franchise. smart decision here!

cheese
Posted By: Walori

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 07:40

the funny thing is that if he writes Predator that can be sued, but if he writes predator (see the difference there?) nobody can do anything about it as none owns rights to word predator.

In any way though I wouldn't mmake a predator game, the subject is too much used. Maybe with some twists to original predator gameplay it could be good, but then it wouldn't anymore be a Predator game wink

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 09:03

I they give me permission then I will create the game, if not, I'll create another FPS with a real person, so, no problem with that.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 09:21

you people obviously have no idea what you are talking about (except Blattsalat) and have not, in the slightest way, grasped the concept fo a copyright and of a trademark...

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 11:08

...but it doesnīt matter. Somebody sees a good model and want to make a game.
Like tousand threads before... some guys saw GTA4, and they start with a killer project, some others looked at Quake and they wanted to copy the design.
The story is always the same, times never change. But... why the fuck not?
Just the idea to write as a hobby freak fox... is absolutely insane.
In my childhood, I wrote Debbie Harry and offered to marry her. She never wrote back.
So fuck... why not make a predator game?

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 11:20

Just ask. Really, itīs that easy.

Of course not:
"Hello , ill make a clown of xyz but i donno if im allowed to do that. Am I ???"

But:
-perfect style
-no orthographic mistakes
-links to your _best_ references
-commercial / not commercial
-why it has to be the Predator?
-proove your wisdom and addiction about Predator between the lines

In short: authenticity vs. political correctness
Try to meet the fine line between them.

If youīre not a good writer, you should search for help.
For investigation, youīll need a good writer. No one will
take you serious, if you canīt express your vision.

Quote:
Just the idea to write as a hobby freak fox... is absolutely insane.

Can you give an argumentation rather than warm words? wink grin
Have you tried it by yourself?

I have, otherwise I wonīt give such an advice. wink

Not only to make the copyrights sure.
In addition I was able to get alot of information about the
copyright holders and the trademarks.
Which is really important if you want to make a good clone.

Posted By: the_clown

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 11:35

"Hello , ill make a clown of xyz but i donno if im allowed to do that. Am I ???"

Hey! grin

However, to the point of cloning games, hell, why not? If you like a game and you wanna clone it, jeez, go ahead... I mean, it's your own time that you spend, and for a hobbyist, game developement should be fun in the first place, right? So, if you have fun in cloning a game, I see no problem with that - if the question of copyright is cleared, of course.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 11:45

so let me see...

there are eighteen games based on the characters, some of them sold millions. the character makes over 100 millions a year inr evenues of merchandise. a new movie will be released this summer by robert friggin rodriguez. a game followup follows created by REAL developers.

the shown model is inaccurate and ugly, created by some lunatic on the internet, reworked for A7 purpouses by some dude who has "da skillz!" and no idea what he is doing, without any idea whats so special about the character in the first place, where it originated from or who is the copyright holder. a guy who writes fox a sloppy mail that wont ever be read. if he gets an aswer it will be an automatic one. oh and he watns to make a game with a complete concept taken from an already exisiting profesional predator game just that he wants to do it with "teh grafix!" on A7...

and you guys take this guy serious? makes me wonder whos more crazy... him or you...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 11:56

@ spike: you REALLY get up on the wrong side of the bed today i guess... laugh

@ all "developers" who planing to post their new project today: Wait til spike has a better day, he wont show mercy at days like today grin

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 12:02

We donīt take him too serious, I believe.
Of course he will fail, no question. (Sorry, but thatīs the truth)

All I want to say is: If you want to make a clone, then make it right. wink

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 12:09

Yeah, the possibilities that my e-mail won't be never answered are very big. I sent the e-mail one day ago, i'll wait for two days more, if I get no answer, I'll start another FPS project using part of the code that I've written.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 12:10

All I want to say is: If you want to make a clone, then make it right. wink

or just don't tell anyone your real name. laugh

...this shouldn't be taken so seriously. some kid works on some freeware clone... so what?
Posted By: Ganderoleg

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/08/10 12:46

This topic interested me because of the fact that, for most of the Poser figures, users are not allowed to distribute figure's geometry or textures (which makes game-usage impossible).

But man...

Quote:
the shown model is inaccurate and ugly, created by some lunatic on the internet, reworked for A7 purpouses by some dude who has "da skillz!" and no idea what he is doing, without any idea whats so special about the character in the first place, where it originated from or who is the copyright holder.

...I laughed for half an hour grin I can't wait for the demo of this, I can just see the credits: Predator model created by some lunatic on the internet & adapted for this game by Dude who has "Da Skillz!" grin Sounds almost too weird grin
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 10:06

lol i cant wait for more of spikes replies ^ ^
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 12:11

@ Spike, why dont you simply go and;

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 12:29

it would take the fun out of being an asshole. and, contray to otehr assholes around the webs, i am an asshole because its fun, not because i ama frustrated 34 year old virgin that weighs a metric ton, lives in the basment of his mother and uses a pair of tweezers to wank to naked pictures of an underage miley cyrus photoshopped to have anime like eyes.

and thats where the problem with indie game design lies, because the so called community, that reminds me more of a petting zoo is made up of losers and wankers.

sure, there is the occasional LIME of light, but all in all, most indie gamedevs are pricks.

i have no problem with creating a fan game. in fact, i love fan games. i am a big supporter of AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake - google it) and that is made with GAME MAKER. But the difference is, its made by a guy who knows what he is doing, has an idea and is a fan in itself.

I, like all of you, am sick of some brainwashed reality TV minions that sit on their hand for half an hour so that it feels as if someone else beats their meat, that come into ANY community (because those threerunners are everywhere) with their "skillz" and mouth about how they need per pixel post processing normal multitexturing pralax scrolling mapping done with shadermodel 1943 because thats what crytec uses to create crying sis...

sure, they are beginenrs and have no clue, but sometimes i feel like they are all having a hive mind controlled by paris hiltons puppy because they all are the same. maybe its just the same idiot re-registering again and again but they are all the same. they do crysis clones, predator clones, gta clones zelda clones and fuck my ass witha stick clones.
and after you tell them exactly WHAT they need to change, WHY they need to change it and try your best to help them, they treat you like you are some moronic south park character with a badly animated face.

and the worst part of all, and you guys wont like this is, that most of you guys (not all of you, mind you. i have deep respect for some of you) sit there and watch those people fail time after time. then, everytime a new lego brickman shows up, you come into their threads and support them, instead of doing what you as "serious users" are supposed to do and tell them whats going on.

see if you would just ignore those idiots and leave it be, everything would be alright. like most of the REAL serious users do. because they know that its not worth the effort and its the best way to show a kid how bad his work sucks. ignore it. but you walk in ehre and support it.

and then I show up, with my usual rant, sick of it all, and i get a "wrong side of the bed" line. not that i mind, but you people have NO idea who I am or how i am and if you would know me just in the slightest, you would know that im having a good day, because when i have a bad day i simply dont show up wink i am not in a bad mood. im not funny when im angry... or hungry...

to cut things short:

ignore bad newbie work if they do not accept HONEST critics. and while you dont have to talk them down like i do because i have a very short temper and no idea how to be nice in the first place, you could tell them the truth. if they accept it and stay to learn, like so many great people already did, we all win. if they go and suck their motehrs titties for some cremaed milk because we are all so /b/ then screw them.

and yes, i really am in a good mood today... keep the spelling errors you find, i dont need them anymore...

edit: oh and alpha strike, for posting the comment below me:

like mythbusters, i always start small scale wink

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 12:32

Cool, it works every time.
Some freak tells us that he wants to "change the world"
and h crap... the forum comes back from the grave.
Itīs only 3gs but I like it
Posted By: Liamissimo

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 12:43

In many points I have to agree, but why is it false to support newbies, even if the results are horrible? This is a community as you said, not a place where everyone has to show the best results, it is a place to have fun and to learn. If you want somebody like the "real serious" user than go to a "real" game developer site. This forum is made to have fun, learn and share even the little, horrible results, because they know: I can post it here, maybe someone give me hints and tips, not because they want a feedback like yours that is destroying their wish to create games. Everyone starts small and this is want we should support, even if it is a fangame with poor graphics, too much wishes etc.

I don't say support just means saying "great! yes! amazing" all the time, but for me support isn't saying "this idea was doomed to fail" or "it is just really ugly". Even if you say "i don't want to talk you down"...What happens after it? You are talking everything down.

What of saying instead "yeah, I like the predator games and movies, nice idea you are having there but..." or sth. like that. I also had one of your reviews on my very first game I ever created. After I read your comment I thought game creating isn't for me, I am happy that there were more helpful users which are not just interested in saying facts what isn not allowed, what is old, what is stupid, but also saying that it is a nice idea, a nice story etc. and then telling the negative things.

PS: sorry for some spelling errors, 15 years germany, still in school wink

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 13:11

but what if there are no positive things?
also, i already said YOU dont have to do it my way... find our own i have a copyright to that (but not a trademark. google it!)

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 13:28

Copyright on what? Your way how to say things?

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 13:40

yes. but that was a gag. dont take everything serious i say. learn to read the humor out of it. it is fun while it lasts^^
Posted By: 3dworld

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 13:42

Hello Spike. I've been washing everything you have right trough the post.
Dude, this is not really friendly regarding to how a "collaboration community" should be. Besides, if he wants to create a Predator game is his problem not yours. I think you should use your time doing some positive critic instead of been a jackass.
One more little detail: If you think that his models sucks, dude take a look to your models before start talk. They really look bad and the concept poor. I think you should to something productive with your live.

P.S.: This is not to start a war...like I shoot you shoot or whatever. I prefer let does thinks to the women. And before you replay think what your going to write...it's just an advice...I've been in the CG industry for more than 8 years I know what I'm talking about wink.

Take care.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 13:57

if you are 8 years in the industry, you should know that EVERYONE is entiteled to opinion and critism, with our without being able to do better. and belive me, you DO NOT KNOW what i am writing or thinking.

thing is, i think you gravely misunderstood the concept of what i do. i do not make models. i never made a model in my life. nor do i do the basic concept of a model.

no, i take things i can find for free on the internet and adapt them to suit my needs. i created 2 comercial games up to this point. 5 freeware games, some of them released, some not yet. i am working on several projects at the same time, two of them probably beign released this year.

and i do all of that without ever modeling one model. so if you want to fault my models, fault the models creators, not me. i am grateful for all the free recources i can find on the internet. they do not look much to you, dear sir, since you are an industry pro that just randomly happens to find itself on the 3D GameStudio boards. I am just somebody who tried to be nice and reasonable for years, without anyone ever listening to what i say until they failed precicely for the same reason i told them they would fail.

now, i just state the obvious, things nobody dares to say because we are all nice and friendly.

you, dear professional, are entiteled to your opinion the same way i am. you may not like the way i tell the truth, but it is the truth nonetheless. i accept your critism on my person, my work and the work of the amazing people i have the luck to work with. so, please, return the favour and accept the way i handle things myself. and maybe, just maybe, you could share some of your 8 year professinalism with the community and tell our dear friends here, who were nothing but supportive to the sad chap that originally had this idea of a fan game, and tell him, them and us in general, what you REALLY think of his idea, his project and his work in general.

or you can once again be completely silent and just raise your finger again to "nonono" me when i again do what i do. but that is the least helpful method. to any of us.

thank you for probably accurately guessing what i was about to say and good day to you, and all your professional co-workers in the industry.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 14:18

sPIKe, then why do you talk bad about my predator model if it wasn't created by me?

Yo also don't know anything about me, you don't know if i'm a noob or not, or if i'll be able to create the game or not.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 14:21

because the model is bad. i talk bad about the person who made it. and i KNOW that you cannot create the game -.-

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 14:23

Itīs never bad to help people, even if one has no advantages when he do so.
Itīs called (back in the 70s) "social age" (soziales alter).
To help someone without getting any advantages from it is significant for the highest social age. wink
That doesnīt mean, that you have to damage yourself.
Spike, why donīt you just overread this thread?

Let him learn his lesson.
Posted By: achaziel

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 14:35

i just wanted to say something (nope, not about spike, i have exactly the same opinion), but as fogman already put it.... "let him(/them) learn his (/their) lesson."
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 14:41

I have followed this topic since the beginning, and now I just have to - as we say in Germany - add my own mustard.

I'll take some honest critique any day, even if it's a punch under the line, over some brainwashed, unicorn blood sprinkled "oh that is so awesome" answer.

Critique can heavily influence how a game developer sees his own project, and I have experienced that on my own. My first level of my game Portico looked really, really bad. I didn't notice at first, because there is always some self-pride in something you create on your own. Later I still didn't notice because all the answers I got on it were "awesome" "i like it!" "moar plox!!!11!1!!!". Such stuff really messes with your perception. It was only after I took some months break from the project, due to work, and looked at it again with a fresh, objective mind, that I realized how bad it looked. And only then I got my arse up to look closer at portal, and analyze the lightning, the textures, shadows and in the end created a level that I can honestly say looks good.

So maybe it hurts you when people say bad things, and even if they don't give you constructive critizism, it is a good reminder to yourself to look at your own project again. Compare it to something else as a baseline and then see if you really did some good work, or if that evil bastard actually was right.

So regarding your project: The model looks shitty, yes, and I don't have much modeling experience, but I can appreciate good artwork and differentiate between good and bad. And your model (even if you didn't make it) is plain and simply shitty. That's the honest critique here, and there is no prettifying it. It's as simple as that.

The people kept saying that you should just start smaller, use something NOT copyrighted. So why not do that? Invent an alien of your own, maybe with tentacles on the head, hooves for feet and long scary fingernails and call it a Hunter instead of Predator. There problem solved. Instead of trying to come up with counter arguments, try to use that anger to try and SHOW HIM that you CAN do BETTER! Show him that you are not that stupid noob, show him that you CAN!

And if you can't, learn from that lesson. People learn from failures, people don't listen. To crash and burn, that is how you learn that you can or cannot do something. The bottomline is: You never know until you try. So TRY. Make it BETTER. Do IT!

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 14:45

i cant. it is one of my, if not THE biggest character flaw, that i just cant stay out of something i personally deem wrong. wether its my personal real life or here, if i see something i consider to be wrong, i say somethigna bout it, do something about it. it may not be the best modus operandi for this community but somebody has to do it.

imagine: he actually creates this game. not a likely chance but just imagine. it may look like crap and play like crap but he creates it. and releases it. and then, peolle talk him down, even WORSE than i do right here, right now. he may even get sued because of copyright infridgement. and then he will think back and say: why did nobody told me my game is bland, ugly, boring and violating a copyright? they all just said its fine its a fangame, it looks okay just go ahead. and thats ONCE AGAIN (because i do this rant ONCE A YEAR, seriously) the problem with the community.

if you work on a project, you get what we call "betriebsblind" it basically means you get blind to some obvious errors because you invest so much time. EVERYONE has it, and everyone who says he doesnt have it is either a stupid idiot or lying. EVERYONE has it. thats why professionals work in groups. thats why testers exist. thats why test screenings for movies exist.

and then everyone in this forum plus his mum tells him that his work is good. that it is okay to do this. my games are below average to this point i know that. and while i care, i could not change it at that moment in time so i deemed it release worthy. the games still are mediocre at best but i can handle the critism. ive been through that. i know what to expect. but if some peolle here would have told me years ago, i could have grown and made those games better in the first place.

i dont want you to find it okay what newbies do. i want you to judge them HONESTLY. there is no need to act like a wild beast like i do. anotehr character flaw of mine is that i show neither remorse nor pity. but that doesnt mean that you shouldnt.
but what you SHOULD NOT DO is talk things pretty.

you people claim to be social, support the community and aid newbies. but you dont do it. Slin does it. Frank does it. and selected few others do it aswell. but most of the people that are posting here simply are not. instead, you talk things pretty. you are liberal smooth talkers that actually have NOTHING to say. you just talk but you say nothing.

how are you helping somebody by planting false illusions? how are you aiding them by talking their ugly work pretty. why are you doing that? to make them feel better? to make yourself feel better? think about it.

the very few here, who actually were constructive, who actually said: look man, check copyright, get your own ideas, make another alien based game ect were helpfull. they were. Blattsalat to name a few.

you people wonder why i am such a zynic. you wonder why i talk people down. i do it bacuse you fail to live up to the promise of a community: to support each other. you come here on a daily basis, talk some nice words into the ears of a newbie who needs support not nice words and you are offended by my comments without evenr ealizing that it is your own fault this community is what it is.

to count it down simple heres what you should do:

check thread - see what project/problem is about. READ THINK READ THINK READ THINK - if you actually HAVE something to say otehr than: looks nice, be honest and say it in the best way you can - support the chap with ideas how to make it better, tell him what exactly needs to be changed and why it needs to be changed.

if you think youre not in the mood or you dont ahve anything worth saying: STFU

and on a final note: when i say i wont come back to a thread, i mean it. and this time, ill take fogmans advise and wont come back to this thread.il just leave it be.

so to all you, who want to talk down to me, want to tell me how much my games suck and how much more you know then me, open up a thread in morbius and tell me. show off your work. compare it to mine just bring it on. but stop posting here. post here only if you have to say something about his project.
Spike out!

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 14:55

before this thread goes completely off topic, these particular threads are "open" for crits. everyone has an opinion, not everyone will agree. i have always liked and sometimes agreed with how some crits are delivered and disagreed with others. nonetheless, everyone has a right to their opinion, so to flame someone else because of their opinion is wrong IMHO. my suggestion to the topic starter is: don't take it personally, and if you really want to do something, prove the naysayers wrong. that simple. so, heres my "moderator" spiel, please keep this thread on topic, and if you really have an issue with someone and the way they do things, take it to morbius.
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 15:31

@Michael
There was a quote from a person whos name i dont remember : "Itīs a human, who learns from his mistakes, but itīs a master, who learns from the mistake of others."
Posted By: achaziel

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 15:36

ooooh, that's a good one. gotta memorize it.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 15:51

I'm really sorry if I take you wrong spike...it happens to every one. And yes your are complete right in what your say...I agree with you. I apologize my self if I disrespect you..was not my intention. But i keep my word: is not what you say but how you say it.

This is my personal opinion about his job:

1. Do not use concepts or characters created by other people, be creative.
* Predator character is copyright and cannot be used in any commercial project. You can use it in a non-commercial projects with certain limits and you are always required permissions to do so:
Advice: try to acquire permission to use the character in your game, even if not is commercial.
2. All is in your mind. You can create a Predator-like character, but completely different at the same time. Never think in front of a computer. Draw some sketches until you feel comfortable with one and then give it life.
3. DO NOT model or use high-polygon characters…that will kill your game. Instead use code to enhance your characters, environment and special effects. You can find many useful codes in AUM and in the rest of the forum. You can keep your characters up to 9000 to 10 000 triangles (2 triangles = 1 polygon) and still looking good.
4. Since your game does not seem to be a commercial version (at least for now). You should develop a game with a strong story line. Just as a tip: Take the time to create something that could report you some profit. Remember: Time is money.
5. Do not limit your game to a single camera view. Try to create more than one different view so the player has options to choose.
6. Do not make your game just based on shoot and kill. Give the player the chance to develop skills and meet targets. Make it dynamic. Even games with stunning graphics, animation and special effects have failed for a lack of creativity. FAR CRY 2 is a good example.
7.Critics are important.

That's what i think and what do I use when I'm working on a business or personal project.

Posted By: Superku

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 17:03

These may be some good points, but I have to disagree with number 5:

"5. Do not limit your game to a single camera view. Try to create more than one different view so the player has options to choose."

This is possibly one of the worst things you can do when you are doing a game like this (in my opinion!). Creating a first person view or a 3rd person camera makes a completely different game which is mostly doomed to fail. (I only know one game that managed to combine 2 perspectives, that is the Jedi Knight series.)
Concentrate on one perspective, a 3rd person camera could fit nicely to a predator game I think, and adjust your gameplay accordingly.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 17:11

You could also change Predator to Datorep, than it is okay grin

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 17:20

laugh That's a good one.

And regarding to point #5...well I must say that and the end is a matter or perspective. Must of the first person shooter games have a third person camera view "hidden" inside the code.
Sometimes that makes the game easier to the player. But yes you can ignore the third person camera view.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 19:03

Originally Posted By: alibaba
@Michael
There was a quote from a person whos name i dont remember : "Itīs a human, who learns from his mistakes, but itīs a master, who learns from the mistake of others."

"Batman" grin
Posted By: Kikatzu

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 19:04

Finally I have a Predator model to use in the project, model created by Allan Greenspan. Here is a image:

This Looks very Good, nice works.

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 20:34

i have to disagree. it looks like a horrible 2d painting of an armed lizzard and looks nothing like the real predator alien.

the reaction should be: a cool, dark killing machine from outer space

the image: i have the urgent need to donate money to the welfare

btw the helmet is way to small

lookie-lookie:
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-alien/451609
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/09/10 21:33

i think the biggest problem is that it looks like it wears some strange pantyhose. the kind that people wear in swinger clubs.
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/10/10 05:03

It's an FPS right? The model is bad right? So, cut the body out of the ugly predator and leave just the arms grin
Change the name from predator to something similar like Carnivore... Um, that's already used... How about Predacula? An odd mix of Predator and Dracula game...
About making the jungle, use the unlimited terrain and scatter some good models of trees on it(and maybe some chunk of rocks, etc).

Re: Predator - Human Hunter Project - 07/10/10 10:52

Finally, I'm not going to continue developing this project. I don't want problems with copyright. I'm going to create another FPS not related to predator, so soon I'll open another thread about the new project. This thread can be closed.
© 2024 lite-C Forums