Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter

Posted By: painkiller

Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/19/11 15:05

Assault! is a Multiplayer 4VS4 Third Person Shooter. You will take place on the battlefield as a Marine Soldier or Resistance Soldier, your goal is to eliminate the other team.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/assault

Download link V0.80 (3/19/2011)
http://www.mediafire.com/?t45t159krkkly4d
mirror http://www.gamefront.com/files/20139900/Assault_080.zip
mirror 2 http://www.moddb.com/downloads/assault-v080-released

New Features in V0.80

-Shotgun Reload Fixed
-Crawling added
-AS_Ship map added
-HitBox system improved (you will make different damage on different body parts)
-Now you can switch weapon while reloading
-W-16 Cartridge changed to a curved one
-Now you get four clips instead of three each round
-Dynamic Shadows for Players
-Grenades explode in less time
-Using now Shade-C Volumetric Light Rays
-Now you can see you Team members names above his head.
-You will also be able to toggle fire mode between Full-auto and Semi-automatic mode in weapons which have it available.

New Features in V0.79

-Added Admin controls to prevent ghost players and round crashes
-Now you get 1000$ if your team wins the round.
-Weapon panel bug fixed (again)

New Features in V0.78

-Crash bug fixed (I hope)
-Round Bug fixed
-Weapon panel bug fixed

New Features in V0.77

-Crash bug when joining game fixed
-Environment map shader added for blue car

New Features in V0.76

-Chat bug Fixed
-Jump bug fixed

New Features in V0.75

-Level lighting improved (crates now with lighmaps and cars brightness changed)
-Hide player when sniper
-Chat system redone and fixed
-Deaths panel fixed
-Bug zoomed mode sometimes got stuck fixed
-Jump Fixed
-Recoil added (intensity depends of weapon)
-Footsteps volume changed

New Features in V0.70

-Fixed A and D keys inversed in Spectator mode
-Movement improved (abs speed it's the same in all directions)
-Added Statistics panel between rounds
-Added mouses sensitivity option in settings
-Shooting system improved
-Added grenades (one per round) and more weapons (see screenshot)
-Added money system to buy weapons
-If you survived last round and you don't buy a new weapon, you will save your last weapon, if you died last round and you don't buy a new weapon you will appear with the uzi as default
-Added a info panel to show who killed whom and with what weapon
-Added bullet traces
-Now you don't have to enter server's ip always you want to play, instead I'm using an dyndns host (assault.dyndns.org) and the server id is saved in settings panel, which you can change to your friend's ip if you want to play a game in another server.

Screenshots (right click-open in new tab to see at full res)

[img]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5374/23669015.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6213/18579457.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5747/38991012.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2172/37241696.jpg[/img]
Posted By: xxxxxxx

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/19/11 15:58

Originally Posted By: painkiller

WHY??? I want to play this great game!!! cry
EDIT: BIG LOL!
xxxxxxx

Server Online: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/19/11 16:03

Server Online now
Posted By: kadir

Re: Server Online: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/19/11 16:42

What is the server ip number. I want to play this game to big 3d game studio community.
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Server Online: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/19/11 16:55

Server seens to be offline

Server Online: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/19/11 19:54

I've just opened server.

The image on first post as well as this one changes automatically to current official server state.

Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Server Online: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/19/11 20:52

Well it just crashed again for me (before going to buy-screen).

As I said some improvement suggestions:
- make duck/stand up faster
- let the player hold their breath in sniping mode for a short time, but increase breathing for some time afterwards. if the player holds his breath too long, maybe even reduce the HP or just go to very heavy breathing
I know that this might cause some advantage for snipers, but its worth a test I guess
- I could fire 3-bullet burst shots with the pistol. Is that intended?
- A re-configureable key setup would be nice

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/20/11 10:54

I've been thinking about Assault! gameplay, and I think personally I prefer a First person view. What do you think? Keep it being 3rd person, switch it to first person, or maybe allow the player to choose a First or Third person view?

Originally Posted By: Xarthor
Well it just crashed again for me (before going to buy-screen).

As I said some improvement suggestions:
- make duck/stand up faster
- let the player hold their breath in sniping mode for a short time, but increase breathing for some time afterwards. if the player holds his breath too long, maybe even reduce the HP or just go to very heavy breathing
I know that this might cause some advantage for snipers, but its worth a test I guess
- I could fire 3-bullet burst shots with the pistol. Is that intended?
- A re-configureable key setup would be nice

Thanks for your suggests Xarthor. About gun firing 3-bullets shots, I think is impossible, do you have a low frame-rate?
Posted By: 3run

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/20/11 11:19

I think it's better to have only one view in game...
Mixing them isn't a good idea... I prefer FPS.
Posted By: the_clown

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/20/11 11:44

The view perspective is a rather important decision of design. Making the user choose between both (first- and third person) always feels cheap in my opinion. So, whatever you choose, concentrate on one perspective.

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/20/11 12:16

@Painkiller: Low framerate? hm not sure. But as I said there was some lag. So it might have been the low ping that made it seem like burst shots. But I switched all visual effects on (hdr, antialiasing etc.) so maybe that affect the framerate. Gonna play with low visual effects the next time.

Another suggestion: Instead of holding breath you could also reduce the "breathing-amplitude" while ducking. That way a sniper could duck to increase accuracy but would not gain too much advantage (still breath "noise") and decreased mobility because of ducking.

edit:
About the perspective: I would try a first-person view. If your code is well organized it should not be too hard to roll-back to 3rd person if 1st person fails or feels bad. But as I don't really like the current 3rd-person camera view implementation I would try a first person version. maybe add an option to switch it in a test-version. So the user can try out both and give his opinion about it and compare thoses views better.

edit #2: I (of course) agree with the_clown and 3run. The final game should include only one view and its a basic design decision which one that may be. Nevertheless having a test-version with both might be a good idea to compare your idea/implementation of both views and see which works better.
Posted By: chrisp1

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/20/11 13:38

I found a bug laugh you can get out of the ship map.
Climb up the pole and then jump out of the map in the water .

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/20/11 21:05

I think I will switch to first person view then. Xarthor, I like more your new suggest about snipers, I think i will do that way.

I've been playing with weapon position in the screen, and I liked this result, what do you think?

Hands model are part of a free mixamo character, and M16 model is the same one I'm already using in Assault! (made by Zicorp)

Originally Posted By: chrisp1
I found a bug laugh you can get out of the ship map.
Climb up the pole and then jump out of the map in the water .

Yes, we also discovered it yesterday while playing, I will solve it.
Posted By: xxxxxxx

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/20/11 21:33

First person??? I think you shuolt keep 3rd person because you can see there the player and they have much details. but i would say that you shuold be able to swicht and not only in a test version.
xxxxxxx

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/20/11 22:09

Weapon position looks good, but I think you better move it a bit down and a little bit to the left, that way it'll be perfect for me laugh

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/21/11 14:34

About the position: I agree with 3run, a little bit down might be good.

About the arm itself: If you keep the current models for the players then the arm does not fit because its "naked" and the soldiers all wear long-sleave clothing wink

edit: Maybe just take the arms of your already existing soldier models?

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/21/11 17:43

I've moved it a bit down and also a bit to the left:

Originally Posted By: Xarthor
About the position: I agree with 3run, a little bit down might be good.

About the arm itself: If you keep the current models for the players then the arm does not fit because its "naked" and the soldiers all wear long-sleave clothing wink

edit: Maybe just take the arms of your already existing soldier models?

About hands, I thought using current soldier arms, but texture and arms are very low-res and it looked very ugly in first person view. In counter-Strike: Source also the arms of you player are naked, and in 3rd person view a lot of characters use long sleeve clothing.

Re: Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 03/21/11 18:01

This looks really great, I'm sure this going to be CS 1.6 killer laugh

FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/02/11 15:31

Assault! isn't death, I've been working hard these days on first person view weapons, and here is an advance:

Gun (Beretta M9)

W47 (AK-47)

Gun and Hands are created by Jon Fletcher, and AK47 is modeled by Alexander Kolesov from AU. I animated both of them and I also modified a bit AK's mapping and geometry to make it look better.

I'm also working on a Server-list, I hope I get it working, SchokoKeks is being a great help about this.

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/02/11 18:53

Looks great so far dude, one this, iron sight of berreta, it's too close to camera I think.
Posted By: chrisp1

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/02/11 19:11

Nice pictures. It would be nice if you could change between first and thirdperson camera. laugh
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/02/11 21:03

I disagree. I'd like third person more, because it's different from those standard first person shooters. There's millions of first person shooters out there. Of course there's also a lot of third person shooters, but not as many, and it would set the game apart from all those c-strike like games. Why remake C-Strike if we already have it? I don't think an indies network code will ever compare with valve's network code if he also has to do art, animation, game logic and menus. Which is why I wouldn't even try.

Apart from that, IF you make it first person (which I think has been decided now) then don't switch between modes. It might be the first idea that pops into mind which pleases everyone, but a third person camera always allows you to look around corners where you couldn't in first person mode. So if someone is in first person mode he'll be detected much faster than people playing in third person, and this will be extremly hard to make fair and balanced.
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/02/11 21:06

well personally i dont like these counterstrike like pc fps games, theres too many .. you'll have to do something dramatic to really seperate yourself from them

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/03/11 10:27

Originally Posted By: Germanunkol
I disagree. I'd like third person more, because it's different from those standard first person shooters. There's millions of first person shooters out there. Of course there's also a lot of third person shooters, but not as many, and it would set the game apart from all those c-strike like games. Why remake C-Strike if we already have it? I don't think an indies network code will ever compare with valve's network code if he also has to do art, animation, game logic and menus. Which is why I wouldn't even try.

Apart from that, IF you make it first person (which I think has been decided now) then don't switch between modes. It might be the first idea that pops into mind which pleases everyone, but a third person camera always allows you to look around corners where you couldn't in first person mode. So if someone is in first person mode he'll be detected much faster than people playing in third person, and this will be extremly hard to make fair and balanced.

Originally Posted By: darkinferno
well personally i dont like these counterstrike like pc fps games, theres too many .. you'll have to do something dramatic to really seperate yourself from them

I think having a intuitive and nice third person view is really difficult and I wasn't very happy with the result I got. I asked here some days ago about changing to FPS and the most part agreed, and I decided to go for FPS.

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/03/11 10:40

I'm getting critics to changing to FPS in IndieDB, saying it was 3PS which made this game unique, maybe they are right, I rethinking my decision. If i keep it being 3PS, do you have any suggest about how to improve gameplay?

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/03/11 11:05

Hm. I don't know what exactly you dislike about the gameplay. But in general, I'd say to make a good third person game you need great animations on the player characters, smooth movement (no sliding around, make sure each step the character takes looks right) and good controls which make the player feel like he's moving a "mass". For example, when the character is standing and then starting to run, make him accelerate. Don't go from 0 speed to top speed instantly. Same deal with curves: when you rotate, don't rotate instantly but have a little phase of acceleration. Of course you mustn't overdo this, because it would be frustrating if the character wouldn't rotate fast enough.
What also makes the game real fun to play is if the character leans realistically while running around corners. Lean a little to the left on a left corner and to the right on a right corner.

If you have a camera somewhere, why not videotape yourself doing some of the moves you want in the game? Maybe even get a friend and try to film over-the-shoulder while you're doing them?
You might find that camera rolling could also be interesting: when the character rotates you can make the camera roll about 2 or 3 degrees into that direction.

Good recoil animations would add to the game as well. The player should pull back his gun, the stronger the gun, the more it should push his torso back/up.

Of course you mustn't overdo any of these effects so you don't lose speed in gameplay.

My 2 cents...
Posted By: the_clown

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/03/11 11:41

Absolutely second the things Germanunkol said.
Also take a look at games like Uncharted 1+2, Army of Two and of course Gears of War. Especially the Uncharted games have really nailed down the good-looking movement. It just looks right. Even though you dont have access to mocap I guess, you can learn a lot by looking at the nuances.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/03/11 14:29

play a little max payne. they do it right.

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/03/11 19:37

thanks for your tips. I've also finished a fully-working Server-List system:

Posted By: kadir

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/11/11 09:32

When multiplayer version will be released. I can not wait. That's AWESOME!

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/11/11 15:56

This post is an older version, the newest post is this one http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=367058#Post367058
Posted By: aztec

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/13/11 11:33

shall we delete this topic?

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/13/11 16:44

yes, if you want, I don't mind

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/13/11 18:16

What? wait... why? If anyone wants to look back into this, it would suck if it was gone.
Just leave both of them running and let this one move down...
Posted By: aztec

Re: FP Gun and W47 - Assault! - V0.80 - Multiplayer 4VS4 Shooter - 04/14/11 08:17

Originally Posted By: Germanunkol
What? wait... why? If anyone wants to look back into this, it would suck if it was gone.
Just leave both of them running and let this one move down...

sounds like a good solution
© 2024 lite-C Forums