Quake Planes

Posted By: Reconnoiter

Quake Planes - 12/26/11 22:10

Quake Planes - Version 2

Download mirror -> Download link (Gamefront)

The game
Quake Planes gameplay aims to play like the shooters in the good ol' days (such as Doom and obviously Quake). You kill enemies, pickup items, equip new weapons, get the key and kick some bosses ass.

Enemies drop powerups which you can pickup to permanently become stronger. The effects of these powerups stack. You take these bonusses along to other maps and there are five powerups:
1. Health Bonus (increasese health regeneration)
2. Armor Bonus (increases armor gained from armor pickups)
3. Damage Bonus (increases the damage you do)
4. Speed Bonus (increases movement speed)
5. Ultimate Bonus (does all what the other bonusses give)

This is still a demo version hence the 'v0.2', it still only contains two maps.

Key bindings:

*WASD -> movement
*SHIFT -> sprint
*SPACE -> jump
*LEFT MOUSE BUTTON -> attack
*RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON -> alternate attack
*MOUSE SCROLL/1/2/3 -> switch weapon
*ESC/F10 -> menu

See the readme which can be found in the ZIP file (along the game) for more info (credits, difficulty levels etc).

Changelog version 2 (also in the ZIP file):

* alternate attack added for weapons.
* difficulty revised.
* more pickups.
* KEYS added.
* new enemy: Turret.
* new areas.
* fixed music system.
* more lights.
* fixed some other bugs and things.

Known bugs:

- load bug.
- buggy movement aside walls.

Please give feedback, with your help I can improve this more and more!
Posted By: 3run

Re: Quake Planes - 12/26/11 22:43

Not bad for a first project, but it wasn't fun to play.
Plus, I advice you to do not use models from Quake in your project, but only as a placeholders.
Anyway, this is perfect for a first project, keep it up! And good luck. laugh

Re: Quake Planes - 12/27/11 12:05

Thank you for your comment!
Not that I feel offended (more curious), what did you find lacking with regard to fun? Since I mainly use this project to hone my skills, I am interested in what people find the most striking improvement points.
Posted By: 3run

Re: Quake Planes - 12/27/11 12:31

I didn't meant to offend you, but I guess you've posted your project here, to receive some criticism.
Game is to linear, I mean, all enemies are acting the same way, only two kind of weapons etc.
You should consecrate more on gameplay. I turned off the game, as soon as I died..
Make some idea for game, not simply go from point A to point B while killing everyone..
Make in as in old games, like find key A to go throw the door A, etc.. Make elevators and so on.

Re: Quake Planes - 12/27/11 13:43

I know you did not meant to offend, I was just curious for your opnion wink. Thanks for giving me constructive feedback, now I know alot better what I can improve and add. Back to work for me it is.
Posted By: nomis23uk

Re: Quake Planes - 12/29/11 12:15

My suggestions are:

Make an intro into the game instead of instantly starting on level 1. perhaps show me a menu first.

Make the game auto save.

Improve animations instead of gun moving perhaps move the arm or a finger when firing.

Theres not enough variations of light, some times I found it hard to see where to go, perhaps add in a torch light?

Just some ideas to get you going some more laugh

Re: Quake Planes - 12/29/11 13:26

Thank you for your comment, I will take these into account laugh.

The current version is hard in the beginning, but in the next version it will be easier (healthpacks, more ammo, less enemies in beginning, alternate attacks with weapons etc.). Since the beginning is hard, I was wondering if someone played maps 2 already (the one with white/black walls and hovering lizard-like creatures)?

Re: Quake Planes - 12/29/11 21:06

ill play it again and try and survive long enough.....

Re: Quake Planes - 12/29/11 21:11

hhmmm still only get as far as the walkway on level 1. just too many enamine on that walkway and not enough bullets to kill them all.

something that you should have noticed when play testing your own game to be honest.

let us know when there is an update wouldnt mind giving it another go....

EDIT: ok now im seriously annoyed! after several attempts I finally got to level two but when you spwan in or it changes level there is an enamy right under the spwan gate / portal and I landed on his head and tryed to moved out the way fell of the edge and fell to my death.

also not sure if its a bug but I find myself randomly sticking to the floor or edges of walls.....

Re: Quake Planes - 12/30/11 12:18

Well to be honest with you, although I found it challenging I did not find it that hard. But than again, since I build the game I know where some hidden ammopacks lie and which weapon to use at the right moment. You should use your melee weapon as much as possible to save ammo (read against as many melee attackers as possible). This way you should have enough ammo against ranged enemies. Futhermore, you can avoid some enemies to if your ammo is depleted.
But this is definetely a mistake of mine, I did not think of the fact that this was not as clear and obvious to others than to myself. However, I have taken this into account for the next version so I advise you to wait for that one.

And you were still not in map 2 :P, you were in the second part of map 1 }:). In the next version the second part of map 1 will not be so annoying too btw. Anyway, the reason why I asked that because in map 2 you get the third weapon (it is behind a destroyable wall) so you have alot more ammo to waste on foes.

May I ask where you stick to walls/ground? This is probably a bug.

Re: Quake Planes - 12/30/11 17:54

Its normally where there is a corner. for example if im going along the wall and there is a right turn ill try and make the right turn but half way round the bend it'll stick and freeze for about 0.5 seconds.

same with going up the giant ramp if you go near a wall ur freeze for a short space of time..... its like its lag but there is nothing wrong with my comp or graphics card.

if I can in the next couple of days ill create a fraps video or something as im useless at explaining things lol.
Posted By: jondoj

Re: Quake Planes - 02/07/12 06:45

Hello to all

I searched that In quake Planes, most of the enemies drop powerups which you can pickup to permanently become stronger. The effects of these powerups stack.
1. Health Bonus (increasese health regeneration),similarly more.
chiropractic newsletter

Re: Quake Planes - 02/08/12 17:06

New version - changelog:

* alternate attack added for weapons.
* difficulty revised.
* more pickups.
* KEYS added.
* new enemy: Turret.
* new areas.
* fixed music system.
* more lights.
* fixed some other bugs and things.
-have gave fun!

Re: Quake Planes - 02/09/12 10:45

Yesterday the mirror did not work yet, now it should be working properly. Any suggestions/feedback?
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: Quake Planes - 02/09/12 15:01

Very nice!
I didn`t play the first version, but this one is really good to me as an oldschool fan. Especially the atmosphere is great.

Gameplay: You`ve got some really nice ideas here (I like finding keys and travaling through portals laugh ), but you could make some more things here to get more variety. How about some ability stages, mysteries, script events, secret areas? The level design detail grade could be improved, too. laugh So be creative and make some great things here.

Weapons: I`d like to have some more weapons a bit earlier in the game. I`m in the middle of the second level now (played about half an hour) and it was really challanging to me to make it through with just a hammer and a pistol with a constant "low on ammunition" (which was good). More variety would be nice. How about a rocketlauncher, an energy gun, grenades and other explosives? Of course you shouldn`t give it all to the player directly in the beginning, but in the beginning of level 2 (the space map) I`d love to have some more possibilities.

Oh, and an automatic saving system would be nice.

Overall: Good oldschool game, nice atmosphere, but you could still do many imporovements to make it great.

Re: Quake Planes - 02/10/12 12:49

Thank you for your extensive feedback. Some great ideas you got there and i am happy to hear that atmosphere is good laugh. I will defenitely add more maps, weapons and i want to add secrets too (i am thinking about what would be good but not game-breaking rewards). I want to let secrets feel unique too (maybe a minigame or something like that, dont expect to much of that though since that is new for me :P).

About the level design grade, I know it can be improved but i dont know how to handle/tackle it. Should i add some eye candy, or more interacting with the environment or redesign/rebuild some parts?

When entering level 2 (the space map), walk forward till you come across a ceiling turret with a wall behind it. The wall can be destroyed (with alternate melee attack or energy/explosive weapons like the pistol), giving acces to a mini armory where you can find some ammo and weapon 3.

Since in the end of map 2 you would have weapon 3 that can fire flares with alternate attack, i was thinking about making the third map (not yet made) really dark and give the player a flashlight (maybe an upgrade for the weapon 2 the pistol). That gives me an idea actually, what do you guys think of the addition of weapon upgrades? Maybe that would be great rewards for secret areas too, like a silencer or extended magazine for the pistol and such.

Anyway, I first need to fix some save/load bug (i will ask about it on 'starting with gamestudio' part of the forum).
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: Quake Planes - 02/10/12 15:02

About the levels: I`d recomment to keep the game small and concentrate on making the current levels better. Add multilayer floors with details like pipe systems, turbines (in that big thing with the dynamic lights), water / slime, particle effects, colored (maybe dynmic?) fog, ...
Be inspired by this: http://www.opserver.de/coni_users/web_users/pirvu/au/demo/zips/takeover.zip and especially this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwQvacNltE .
Oh, and work on the detail grade of your weapons laugh .

And if you want to make it really, really, really cool, then be inspired by this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcCJrnGWxUA . A lot of work, yes, but it`s the best game of all times to me, so it`s worth it laugh
Are you German? I made a retro review abot it some times ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo7EjhLam10

Re: Quake Planes - 02/10/12 16:25

In screenshot "shot04" of Takeover, that guys has a boner tongue.

Now to be more serious, although i like quake 1 more than quake 2, I think quake 2 has better looking maps so I will defenitely take some inspiration of that one, thank you.

Oh and the nostalgia, UNREAL! Good old times, that game has of the best game music ever made i think. But I think Unreal Tournament classic is the best game ever made tongue. Those games were the golden age of first person shooters, togheter with Deus Ex 1 and Quake. This also reminds that I just to learn to build Coop and such into my games. Regrettable, I cannot speak German.

Re: Quake Planes - 02/15/12 14:20

From somone who has played v1 I hoenstly beleive v2 is a great improvement!

I've still not got off level 1 yet though because I like to explore everything and try and make it through with just a hammar tongue

Quality has deffinately improved and sounds have got alot better.

What I would like to see improved in the next update is the scale of things....everything just seems rather large for example the width of the slant on the first part of the level. and the height of the ramp when your in the secerate area just seem abit too OTT.

Rain it in a little with the scale of things and it will add more to the realism in its self.

an idea to fix the glitch of getting stuck on things, try not to make the ramps so steep see if that changes things.

will play more later when I get abit more time.

Re: Quake Planes - 02/15/12 20:23

Okay played abit more of it.

think im off level 1 not sure as there is nothing that says actually what level you are on...

I'm in like a maze now and im working my way to the lower floor in what appears to be a glass room?

found an additional gun.

those dam flying enamys are annoying...hehe.

question...what are the blue things that you collect on that level? something to do with your pistol but ive not worked out what they are or even how to use them and apparantly I have 150 of them?

be helpful that if in the options it said what the keys were. or perhaps something somewhere that documents all the collectables?

keep going with the game though I like it.

Re: Quake Planes - 02/16/12 11:40

@nomis23uk, I am happy to hear that this version is alot better than version 1 laugh. Yes you are in level 2 now. Level 2 is the map in space (with the brown-like skybox). The music changes every map, but I quess I could add a score page or a loading screen between the maps.

I like your idea by the way for adding a page with a description for every item, I will add that.

The blue canisters you find across map 2 are ammo for the weapon you just found. In the beginning of map 2, there is a secret (not that well hidden though) that allows you to get the new weapon earlier. That is why you find those ammo canisters also in the beginning. Hope this explains it.

Re: Quake Planes - 02/19/12 13:02

@Reconnoiter

Brilliant thanks for the reply, will give it another run through soon and see if I can get off level 2 laugh

nomis.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Quake Planes - 02/19/12 15:04

No screenshots?

Re: Quake Planes - 02/19/12 15:58

Perhaps I am not loading it correctly but I dont think your load game function works as I click it and does nothing but halt the game.....(I have to escape out and run it up again).....

Might be no screenshots because this is a project not a showcase? imagine doom gameplay but slightly better graphics and this is what this game is tongue

abit miffed I cant load my game because im struggerling to get off level 1 again lol.

Re: Quake Planes - 02/21/12 15:57

Thanks for all the comments;

@HeelX, no screenies yet, I will add them for the next version I quess (I am kindy new to all this uploading on different sites, so I take my time :P). Also I agree with nomis23uk's description grin.

@nomis23uk, loading does not work yet properly. I have almost fixed this though, took me some time to figure it out. The fix will be in version 3, but that will still take awhile before it is out. The game is still short though so it should not that much of a problem (I hope).

Re: Quake Planes - 02/21/12 19:44

@Reconnoiter

Glad to hear a version 3 is on its way laugh and its good to know im not going insane with the loading....I tried all sorts to try and get it to work thought it was me. :-s

Im not going to give up I will beat it, I'll keep playing it till I do ha ha.

Re: Quake Planes - 02/23/12 13:54

Just played through the game and got stuck on second level again...I run out of ammo....

some more ideas I thought of for your game:

Destructable items using the hammer...perhaps gain some powerups destroying things maybe...

Mini Map

Some sort of shield that can double up as a weapon?

Re: Quake Planes - 02/25/12 13:56

Thank you nomis23uk, you have many interesting ideas. My to-do list is getting longer and longer grin.

Re: Quake Planes - 03/03/12 11:15

any updates with development on this project yet?

Re: Quake Planes - 03/05/12 11:26

It is still going to take a long while for the next update. I want to change some and add a few big things. So far it goes slowly but good.
© 2024 lite-C Forums