Open world medieval RPG

Posted By: CD_saber

Open world medieval RPG - 04/04/12 22:28

Hey everybody,

the time has come to show some screens of the open world rpg that me (level and models) and painkiller (scripting) have been working on for some months.
As you can see, it is a medieval-fantasy rpg with the aim to create a semi-realistic, "rough" style in level and model design.
The gameplay takes place on a large island with several villages, strongholds, dungeons etc.

At this point, though the map is quit huge and we have a great viewing distance, we've managed to get good fps using region and lod systems.

Please notice that the screens are WIP, for example small vegetation like gras and flowers will be added later.

Re: Open world medieval RPG - 04/04/12 22:29

Posted By: Rackscha

Re: Open world medieval RPG - 04/05/12 14:39

Looks quite solid.
Cant say more, until i get my hands on something playable wink
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Open world medieval RPG - 04/05/12 14:44

looks really good. Kind of Morrowind style.

2 suggestions:

#1 use a darker (cloudy) sky, so it fits better witch the darker terrain.
#2 if you stuff more trees into it (like in picture 3), it will greatly improve the scene without much effort.

Alternatively place some treestumps, to give a reason for the thin vegetation.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Open world medieval RPG - 04/06/12 08:26

Yes, nice, but I would not put that few thin trees on top of the hills, more lower poly smaller ones with some bushes would be better, because the player probably never goes there close to them, so trunk detail is not too essential there.
Grass also will be a great addition, but only needed near walking area.

Re: Open world medieval RPG - 04/06/12 09:26

Thank you for your suggestions.

@sivian: The far trees (for example above the waterfall in pic 1 or pic 6) are indeed low poly ones (with a good skin though :-) )
The trees nearby in picture 6, behind the tents have to be detailed because the player can go up there from the other side. I alway use detailed ones only where the player is able to go. Besides, all detailed trees have 2 lod stages.

@damocles: Thx mate. #2: I know that more trees would also enhance detail, but this is not the look i try to get :-) Not every island has one huge forest. I think adding more bushes and gras will fill these areas.
Posted By: lemming

Re: Open world medieval RPG - 04/06/12 15:37

Really nice screenshots!
I just wonder about his shiny neck.
And the terrain-detail is too repetitive. (mountains in screenshot 1)
But for using no DOF-effect I give you +2!

edit:// corrected mistaken effect name.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Open world medieval RPG - 04/11/12 14:40

with Painkiller you have a totaly talanted scripter on your side, value that i love all his works!

as for the project, i wish you two all the best and may the project be completed in the future!

New vegetation pics - 04/22/12 13:37

I'm currently working on the vegetation, here are three new pics

What do you think?

EDIT: Added a third picture
Posted By: Superku

Re: New vegetation pics - 04/22/12 13:51

Looks nice, but the terrain IMO still is too dark, try to increase the brightness by ~10-15%. The trees resp. their leaves could use a little more transparency/ fully transparent spots.
Posted By: JoGa

Re: New vegetation pics - 04/22/12 19:39

looks nice!
In my huble opinion, the terrain is okay, now.
btw, this textures are great, I have to search for my game something liek that, this rocks are great!
Maybe you could add some more trees on the mountains? It looks a bit "funny" with 1-3 huge trees on a mountain like in the first picture in the first post.
Maybe some sprite to have a "filled" horizont like here?

Posted By: SchokoKeks

Re: New vegetation pics - 06/23/12 21:41

Hey, I just wondered how this project is getting along. Still working on it?
I see a lot of potential on this, the graphics look pretty awesome in my opinion.
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: New vegetation pics - 06/23/12 23:28

I second that. The screens look very professional. laugh
Posted By: painkiller

Re: New vegetation pics - 06/24/12 11:40

yes, we're still working on it, although because of our uni's exams we have less time to work on it, but hopefully the summer will be very productive
Posted By: Samari

Re: New vegetation pics - 07/12/12 12:57

damn nice... looks amazing. i hope you will continue coding...
just one question... how big will the world be. in the finished project?
Posted By: ratchet

Re: New vegetation pics - 07/15/12 21:18

Good indie game beginning laugh
I have a simple question :
What will be the difference compared to already existing AAA action RPG games like skyrim ?
What would make me want to play it whan i can find for some little bucks big AAA games like Two worlds 2, Risen 2, etc ...

I think this is a question that lot of indies should answer before making some another copy of some AAA game laugh
Posted By: painkiller

Re: New vegetation pics - 07/16/12 18:21

Originally Posted By: Samari
damn nice... looks amazing. i hope you will continue coding...
just one question... how big will the world be. in the finished project?

hmm I can't tell exactly how big it is, but for sure it will big enough to have some fun exploring the territory, caves and dungeons are also included

Originally Posted By: ratchet
Good indie game beginning laugh
I have a simple question :
What will be the difference compared to already existing AAA action RPG games like skyrim ?
What would make me want to play it whan i can find for some little bucks big AAA games like Two worlds 2, Risen 2, etc ...

I think this is a question that lot of indies should answer before making some another copy of some AAA game laugh

We are still far from the finished game, but I think one of the main points will be its combat system, much more complex and difficult than common games
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: New vegetation pics - 07/16/12 22:49

I for one welcome all rpg's do not think you have to compete with skyrim/gothic/zelda...there is plenty of room, even for the most basic rpg's....you have inspired my to pull my old rpg out...ty!

Re: New vegetation pics - 07/17/12 09:16

I will post new Screenshots tomorrow morning, showing new vegetation and several new and reworked locations! Stay tuned :-)

EDIT 18.07: OK, it will be the next tomorrow morning, sorry :-(
Posted By: ratchet

Re: New vegetation pics - 07/17/12 19:45

We are still far from the finished game, but I think one of the main points will be its combat system, much more complex and difficult than common games

Well i remember some sort of RPG Action game that was difficult, some game before Risen ...
But too difficult won't be good for all people, perhaps with a big learning curve you mean ?

Cool, that can be a good point to differentiate it from existing games laugh

Re: New vegetation pics - 07/18/12 06:24

yes balancing between complexity and fun is essential. e.g. I always wanted to play mount&blade, it has great functionalities, but somehow I got nervous after some minutes... another good game was battlestation midway, but with too many hotkeys to remember, especially if you play rarely...

Brand new screenshots - 07/19/12 09:19

Hey guys,

as promised ;-) here are a bunch of new screenshots, which (imo) show the progress of the game very well. Please tell me what you think!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85xufmjnp5z77ft/shot_0.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmbhhmrcjfs0gke/shot_1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/njb3kpdx9r6dvsj/shot_2.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/klonwlqqkmuo0ug/shot_3.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye1qbd9o07g0l66/shot_4.jpg

Brand new screenshots 2 - 07/19/12 09:20

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1c2r8gh2fhlta33/shot_6.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wa31pwmpkoin966/shot_7.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0k9d8yqm2utca2y/shot_8.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60re3jlwhddoqef/shot_9.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rixbai9b9f50mht/shot_10.jpg

Re: Brand new screenshots 2 - 07/19/12 09:33

they do not appear, just put here the links without image embedding (I could get them after pressing quote button)
Posted By: 3run

Re: Brand new screenshots 2 - 07/19/12 09:44

I loved screens without a character, they have nice style, kind of a tale. But I don't really like the character model.. looks weird to me.

Re: Brand new screenshots 2 - 07/19/12 10:02

I like the building and tree models, the terrain textures/colours, and the lights too. Yes, the character is not really a nice guy grin
What I don't like is the water from close look, the grass entities, and the very rare tree and other vegetation placement: use much more (some hundreds), or group them at small areas instead of the consistent positioning, it would be more natural - and it's valid also for the grass, use a lot in groups or do not use. And those high slope hills are also a bit bare/lifeless. Use more bush entities, they are low cost in performance, but gives more life to the level.
But the overall concept is okay, I think these are easy things and only detail refining I mentioned above.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Brand new screenshots 2 - 07/19/12 12:59

The water is too bright and the haystacks seem to be hovering. Otherwise, this looks most excellent. Good progress!
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Brand new screenshots 2 - 07/19/12 15:37

Lovely, cd_saber, absolutely lovely.
Posted By: Slin

Re: Brand new screenshots 2 - 07/20/12 10:14

The water is kinda ugly and looks like the most basic watershader ever tongue
Other than that, I like it a lot. Everything fits together, you did an amazing job texturing the terrain, there are quite some details everywhere and I really havenīt seen many gamestudio levels with such a quality.

Re: Brand new screenshots 2 - 07/20/12 11:23

Thanks a lot for all your comments! Please go on giving suggestions as they really help me noticing things that arent that good.

@sivian: i will try your idea with the grass groups out to see how it looks. but we have always to remember that we cant have an unlimited number of grass entities to keep the fps as high as possible. Therefore we always have to find the right detail/fps ratio!

@slin: Yes, i know, the watershader does not look that good. What i really like to have is a reflect/refract shader... if anyone know a free, good looking shader, please tell us... (but it has to work with shade-c)
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: Brand new screenshots 2 - 07/20/12 11:38

very gothic like...a good thing.....

Re: Brand new screenshots 2 - 07/20/12 12:03

yeah I would also need a nice water shader for the same price laugh

grass can be created with a short clipping distance, as you walk around with the character it does not really catch your eyes. but if you want to apply nice shades on grass it can be more difficult. if you have pro there is sprite instancing. if only commercial grass models are better consisting of group of grass faces. I normally use this stupid code for grass clipping:
Code:
ver dist = random(10);
	if (dist<8)
		{
			my.eflags |= CLIP0 | CLIP1;		// LOD0
		}	
	else
		{
			my.eflags |= CLIP1; 			// LOD1
		}

maybe if you have a graphics setting menu in the game, you can use a slider for setting grass quantity, or decrease lod distances.

and what is the average size of a level in the game?
© 2024 lite-C Forums