Descend Like A Gent

Posted By: Joozey

Descend Like A Gent - 04/28/12 21:19

This is one of those "cool game, I want to make one too in 48 hours!" games. After playing http://teknopants.com/games/uberleben/ I started constructing a similar game. The basis is done, and I invite you to try it out!

Keys:
Player1: arrows, 2: wasd, 3: tfgh, 4: ijkl, 5: 1234, 6: 7890, 7: 7890 (oops, bug!), 8: mouse

Download here: http://www.joozey.nl/3dgs/DescendLikeAGent/descendlikeagent_v1.0.zip
Have fun!

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0l7quqCI2A

Shots:

Posted By: 3run

Re: Descend Like A Gent - 04/28/12 21:37

I loved original game! laugh The idea is so great, but I couldn't make that random platforms and even now I still have no idea how to create those great looking platforms! I liked you project as well laugh But I think platforms should be more random or something laugh
Posted By: Superku

Re: Descend Like A Gent - 04/28/12 22:31

Nice work so far, but you should work on the gameplay/ controls:
The cute gentleman gains too much momentum resp. he loses it too slowly, as a player you do not feel like you're in control. I suggest you make the movement more direct.
The camera/ player rotates too fast. It's supposed to increase the challenge, I know, but it kills the fun because it rotates too fast too soon.
The character blocks the view because he is centered, you cannot really see what is ahead of you - the static camera in the original works way better in this case.

Re: Descend Like A Gent - 04/28/12 23:16

Hm it doesn't feel too fast rotating and momentum to me. Is it the same for you as in the video? In that case I think I'll add difficulty levels. After a while you get the feel for it and progressing becomes more easy.

Thanks 3run and superku for the feedback!
Posted By: Superku

Re: Descend Like A Gent - 04/28/12 23:26

Quote:
Hm it doesn't feel too fast rotating and momentum to me. Is it the same for you as in the video?

Hm as far as I can tell from watching the video, I think it is (or maybe it's just the camera?). Try the original, then your game and afterwards the original again, I assume you will know what I mean.

Re: Descend Like A Gent - 04/29/12 09:46

Well, rotation in the original is sometimes faster than with my game. So perhaps it runs slower on my pc than yours, and somewhere I made an error.

The movement is more direct, but also slower in the original. Been playing around with the values a bit, but after a while your perception of what feels good changes as you get used to it. Quite hard to tweak values objectively.
Posted By: nomis23uk

Re: Descend Like A Gent - 04/30/12 18:42

When I first played it I thought the keys were way too sensative but the more you play it the more you adapt.

very good game would like to see:

Scoreboard
maybe extra lives? - further you go you collect these?

in the next update.
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Descend Like A Gent - 04/30/12 19:43

This game is perfectly suited for the mobile platform
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Descend Like A Gent - 05/01/12 12:59

@Joozey: Great game! I also played "Das Überleben". What I like about the Überleben is the deep atmosphere, especially the Ice and tree level. What I like about your game is the more relaxed feeling and the rotation of the platforms.

So far so good. Though, the game is very hard, I think. The speed should be way slower at the beginning and should increase piecewise by the amount of platforms. Maybe you can also add some animations to the avatar. When you are near the tunnel wall, you can see the a pink color that doesn't match the environment.

Are you intending to take this any further?

Fun fact: I had a game in mind where a character falls down and I never thought about this perspective.. it was quiet an eye opener. I hope you don't mind if I ever come up with a game similar to yours?

Re: Descend Like A Gent - 05/01/12 14:31

Quote:
Fun fact: I had a game in mind where a character falls down and I never thought about this perspective.. it was quiet an eye opener. I hope you don't mind if I ever come up with a game similar to yours?
The only one who is allowed to mind is the dude who created Uberleben laugh.

I plan one more update, and then call it done. Taking all the advice here in account laugh. It was meant to be a short dev.
© 2024 lite-C Forums