Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project

Posted By: painkiller

Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 03/08/13 12:24

As some people said, let's try keep the "what are you working on" post clean, so here I open a new thread for my Post Apocaliptic RPG Project.

As I said on an older post, the idea of the game is that, apart of completing quests, you have to "survive" as you can: this means you will have to find food to eat and water to drink, otherwise after some time you will die. Also you will have to sleep in order to recover your energy, otherwise you will get tired and unable to move fast.

Here's a new video showing the day/night cycle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUWScYqiwl4
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 03/08/13 12:47

Nice work Painkiller. Some time ago i also had a similar idea for such an rpg after watching the movie "The Road". What are you planning about enemies? I think it would be good to keep away from the zombies and mutants, perhaps just put some gangs who looking for food and weapons and maybe some hungry animals wink .
Posted By: Superku

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 03/08/13 13:04

Some thoughts after watching the video:
The animation is pretty cool.
You really should increase the shadow map resolution, at least double it.
I think it's a lot better for the (/ a) game if the day is notably longer than the night.
The night itself is IMO too dark but hard to say without a torch/ light source.

Good luck with the project!

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 03/08/13 19:08

Originally Posted By: Iglarion
Nice work Painkiller. Some time ago i also had a similar idea for such an rpg after watching the movie "The Road". What are you planning about enemies? I think it would be good to keep away from the zombies and mutants, perhaps just put some gangs who looking for food and weapons and maybe some hungry animals wink .

Yeah, I've got some inspiration from movies like "The Book Of Eli", "The Road" or "The Postman", also from Fallout games.
I thought the same about the enemies, not having mutants or creatures, but keeping a "realistic" style, with looters, gangs, wild animals...
The idea is having a style like a "post-apocaliptic western".

Originally Posted By: Superku
Some thoughts after watching the video:
The animation is pretty cool.
You really should increase the shadow map resolution, at least double it.
I think it's a lot better for the (/ a) game if the day is notably longer than the night.
The night itself is IMO too dark but hard to say without a torch/ light source.

Good luck with the project!

I think the same about the shadow map, as shadows are jerking a bit in game.
Currently day is approx. from 6:00 AM to 20:00 PM, maybe I could Increase it to 22:00 PM.
Actually night it isn't that dark, but it seems like fraps made the video darker than the game actually is, maybe I could make it less dark though.
Posted By: 3run

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 03/08/13 19:33

Originally Posted By: painkiller
Actually night it isn't that dark, but it seems like fraps made the video darker than the game actually is, maybe I could make it less dark though.
It's not fraps, but youtube. Nice video man, keep this up! I'm waiting for playable demo.

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 03/18/13 21:57

Here is an new video from today, shadowmapping is disabled on this one for performance reasons. The video shows the conversation system and npc behaviour, it also shows part of the combat system, the ability to pick objects and sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5UVqRgpek&feature=youtube_gdata
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 03/19/13 09:13

Did you hard code your conversations? I'd highlight the answers in a multiple choice dialog by color, not by size. But all in all it looks good!
Posted By: MPQ

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 03/19/13 12:17

nice solid work, looks great so far!

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 03/19/13 12:44

Originally Posted By: PadMalcom
Did you hard code your conversations? I'd highlight the answers in a multiple choice dialog by color, not by size. But all in all it looks good!

Conversations aren't harcoded, they are taken from a text file, where you specify the phrases, the different conversation options and animations for each, also the name of the character. This means its an "automatic" system, with the same action you can have infinite different characters and conversations.
About highlighting the answer by size instead of doing it by color, I did this because I would like to keep the HUD in white color, as its a postapocalitic environment I think there shouldn't be too much color variation, to keep that "dirty and sad" look.

Originally Posted By: MPQ
nice solid work, looks great so far!

thanks!

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 04/01/13 21:40

New video form today. In this one I show the improved PSSM shadows, the new inventory system with the ability to pick and trade items, fighting with handgun and machete, and I also test some of the buildings that there will be in the game (of course they aren't properly placed as it was just a test)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a_b9HSOrtk
Posted By: 3run

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 04/02/13 01:16

Looks pretty nice man! Great progress! But few things:
* move player a little bit downwards (so there won't be a visible gap between feet and ground f.e. in shadows);
* making player walk slower, cause he moves to fast for his walk animations;
* make damage (red screen) effect, less noticeable maybe.. decrease it's alpha;
* increase the speed of running animation (looks too slow for the running speed);
* change mouse pointers (crosshair while aiming, hand for items to pick up etc);
* make buildings translucent, if player is behind them;
* add some kind of a wind maybe, to make more atmosphere on the scene? Maybe dust etc;
* create a walking marker! when you press on ground (where player is supposed to walk to), create an arrow or so.

This is just my taste, and my two cents mate. All-in-all it looks great so far! Maybe I can get some more details on it later, anyway keep this up!

(was that a bug with shadows on 2:48)

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 04/02/13 23:05

Originally Posted By: 3run
Looks pretty nice man! Great progress! But few things:
* move player a little bit downwards (so there won't be a visible gap between feet and ground f.e. in shadows);
* making player walk slower, cause he moves to fast for his walk animations;
* make damage (red screen) effect, less noticeable maybe.. decrease it's alpha;
* increase the speed of running animation (looks too slow for the running speed);
* change mouse pointers (crosshair while aiming, hand for items to pick up etc);
* make buildings translucent, if player is behind them;
* add some kind of a wind maybe, to make more atmosphere on the scene? Maybe dust etc;
* create a walking marker! when you press on ground (where player is supposed to walk to), create an arrow or so.

This is just my taste, and my two cents mate. All-in-all it looks great so far! Maybe I can get some more details on it later, anyway keep this up!

(was that a bug with shadows on 2:48)

thanks for your tips, I really appreciate them and I take note of everything, specially the changing mouse pointer idea.

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 08/18/13 12:10

I decided to change the camera from a bird's eye view to a 3rd person camera, which I think it gives a better "immersion factor" for the player.

Posted By: Random

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 08/18/13 13:55

Great.
I am looking forward to see your object system, food, weapon etc. storage.

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 12/29/13 20:29

after some time not using gamestudio, I worked again on this project today.
I added a info menu which shows you your current active missions and a world map showing your position and your mission target location.

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 02/11/14 12:56

I've been playing with two different styles of 3rd person camera but I'm not sure which one should I choose. Which one do you prefer?

Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 02/11/14 13:12

The first one! The second one hides the most important part of the screen. Also aiming with the second one is harder than with the first one.
Posted By: Feindbild

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 02/11/14 15:47

damn those houses are small

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 02/13/14 11:57

Originally Posted By: MasterQ32
The first one! The second one hides the most important part of the screen. Also aiming with the second one is harder than with the first one.

Yeah, I think I will go with the first one

Originally Posted By: Feindbild
damn those houses are small

Yes, I agree, I've set them 20% bigger now:

I'm eager to try Shade-C evo when BoH_Havoc adds terrain support and see how it looks in the game.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Post-Apocaliptic RPG Project - 02/13/14 12:27

Originally Posted By: painkiller
I'm eager to try Shade-C evo when BoH_Havoc adds terrain support and see how it looks in the game.

he just finished its development. but oliver2s made compatible terrain shaders for it probably released with his editor in near future. moreover, he has a separate version on github, but also one of the new developers/maintainers beside Kartoffel and me. once I'll have time for it I plan to make my water, terrain and vegetation shaders, if I can convert my existing ones somehow...
© 2024 lite-C Forums