Carcassonne

Posted By: txesmi

Carcassonne - 10/26/15 14:21

Hi!
I developed a digital version of Carcassonne board game.

DOWNLOAD

Here are the rules.

This first version is far from being complete. It consciously lacks on farmers scoring, game finish and AI. There could be more problems. fe: it gets stuck when there is no chance of locating the actual card... I hope all the rest is properly working.

Instructions:
- Board can be displaced by holding down mouse wheel button.
- Board shows white squares in places where actual card can be located. The card is temporary showed when putting mouse pointer over one of them.
- Cards can be rotated by clicking mouse right button.
- Mouse pointer shows available followers for card areas near borders of cards, with the exception of priests that are located near the center of the card.
- Cards and followers are definitively set by clicking mouse left button.

Have fun!

Re: Carcassonne - 10/28/15 19:32

New build with many improvements!
Farmers are scored. Unplayable cards are mixed in the deck. And more...

DOWNLOAD

I have been playing the whole afternoon againts myself with no sense of time and neither seen a bug!

pd: AI is going to be a nightmare to develop xP
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Carcassonne - 10/28/15 20:04

Neat simplistic style. Never tried the board game personally, is it hard to get into? Or is it more 'easy to learn hard to master'?

Re: Carcassonne - 10/28/15 20:37

Thanks!

The game mechanics are very simple and it is not really hard to master. Luck has a lot to say on the game. It depends a lot on the card you got but strategic positioning makes the difference. You have to be aware of opponents chances. It is freaking great!
Posted By: slacer

Re: Carcassonne - 10/28/15 20:40

Nice gameplay but as the board fills up with Cards, I could not zoom out to see the the Cards outside the Monitor.

Re: Carcassonne - 10/28/15 20:56

Zoom out is planned (maybe I build a 3d scenery, who knows) but I have been busy with gameplay wink

You can displace the board with mouse middle button anyway.

Re: Carcassonne - 10/29/15 00:58

Finally I got rid of the bug that causes bad farmer scoring!

Same link

Re: Carcassonne - 10/30/15 12:39

Implemented an infinite grid system that can be zoomed out up to 1:3 scale.

I needed a 4x4 array of screen size render targets to make this possible. In the way I also optimized how cards were drawn and now it only redraws the map when needed.
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Carcassonne - 10/30/15 16:58

It looks good. Seeing how fast you go, perhaps you should consider making a clone of the game with your own ruleset. Change it a bit, add AI, add some sounds/music, perhaps some simple campaign trail with a story etc. Than you can sell it for a few bucks (or free or whatever) and call it a spiritual successor to Carcassonne.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Carcassonne - 10/30/15 18:26

imo its AI would be very very hard to implement with full features due to its complexity. with children I play it with simplified rules, e.g. we started to only deal with towns/castles. so finally you could make a little different game as Reconnoiter said.
Posted By: Dico

Re: Carcassonne - 10/30/15 18:38

it look more prof , good work wink

Re: Carcassonne - 10/30/15 22:57

Thank you all!

I have to say that started this project with the idea of adapting the mechanics to my own game, not just a clone. So yes, there go shots wink No clue by the moment...

I continue with improvements meanwhile. Implemented a double sized and downgraded hud in order to get antialiased fonts.

Re: Carcassonne - 10/31/15 13:30

A build with all the new stuff...

DOWNLOAD

Re: Carcassonne - 11/01/15 13:19

River cards (I) added!

It has defilled farms flood fill a bit frown It was so cheap and exceptionless...

edited__________

River location rules: http://www.modernjive.com/carcassonne/carcassonnetheriver.pdf

Not implemented yet...

Re: Carcassonne - 11/02/15 11:09

River II extension added!

I modified river cards location rules in order to be able to close it in any case most of times grin

DOWNLOAD

I found clear rules of the game with all its extensions: https://pycarc.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/AnnotatedRules.pdf

Before redading them carefully, I guess I know what rules include in order to make it different cool
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Carcassonne - 11/02/15 14:20

This is really sweet. I love Carcassonne and the add-ons and have played the iOS version by the Coding Monkeys a huge amount.
Very good work txesmi, keep it up! laugh

Re: Carcassonne - 11/02/15 15:45

Thank you!

I am spending all my spare time on this grin

Re: Carcassonne - 11/02/15 21:05

I arrived to an idea about the transformation of this game. I guess I found a simple system that has few things to do with the original. The main stream runs around moving followers while placing cards. These follower movements are not seen in Carcassonne, so the game might be transformed so deep that could become unrecognizable at the end of the process. I hope it funny. It is hard to know...

It is (temporaly) called OLIGOPOLY: A game of winning the greater acceptance on the population of a growing city with the help of your followers that act (at least) as politicians, police and journalists: the trident of a self-respecting oligarch grin

The game occurs in a city crossed by a large avenue (Cs river) surrounded by streets that form little districs (Cs farms) and parks (Cs cities). Since moving followers will need more paths than the paths created by Carcassonnes cards, cards will need more crossings and less three/four sided district and park cards. So the final distribution would be plenty of little districs and parks. Here is my first task: draw such a card deck that enables such a city.

More news next days!

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Carcassonne - 11/03/15 00:31

^ Awesome!
Posted By: sivan

Re: Carcassonne - 11/03/15 08:56

what about the name of SimCity? grin

Re: Carcassonne - 11/04/15 10:26

maybe ShimCity grin

Full deck

Salud!

Re: Carcassonne - 11/05/15 19:16

Re: Carcassonne - 11/15/15 10:29

Hi!
I am testing different ideas for the transformation. It has been hard to find a way that not breaks the original playability but I guess I find a way.

I added a rule for card placement that prevents parks being placed sharing same corner of a card. So there is no card that has a park in two contiguous sides, neither is possible to place a card in a way that would require a card with two adjacent parks. It reduces the card deck a lot and parks become small, a park of three or more cards is hard to see. Parks always cut its adjacent districs, in opposite to Carcassonnes cities.

I have taken out of the deck all the cards with no streets and added a rule that only allows to place a card that continues a street. Card deck is mostly filled by street crosses but very few exceptions: a couple of curves, straight streets and district connecting straight streets.

I added an option that allows to place a fixed card in a place that is surrounded by cards, so the prolific holes that are generated with this deck can be filled and probably with a score bonus.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Carcassonne - 11/15/15 18:32

^Txesmi I like it, but I'll say this is not a common game here. I do not 'just know' the rules. I was wondering, with all the StarWars hype here, could you reskin this game in a StarWars theme? LOL I know it's off a bit, but this looks fun, like a sim-city or even battlefield kind of game and a StarWars theme would be awesome!

My two cents. Great work, looks awesome
Mal

Re: Carcassonne - 11/15/15 20:01

Thanks!
It would need me being a star wars fan. I almost do not know who the father is who. May it be Major Motoko Kusanagi? grin

I have big doubts about the theme anyway. It is flat but easy.
© 2024 lite-C Forums