oldschool fps project

Posted By: 3run

oldschool fps project - 11/26/17 17:26

UPDATE!

This project aims to recreate wolf3d style/feeling (oldschool fps). It will have basic map editor to create game levels and chapter editor, to link up to 10 levels together, in order to create custom stories/chapters. Currently all main game mechanics were remade! Next step is editor + levels. Project will be published free for free and commercial use. Mostly all resources used in project are selfmade! But some were taken from free resources:
Sprite credits:
- Explosion sprite created by Luis Zuno (ansimuz.itch.io)
- NPC sprites by elihaun (elihaun.itch.io) (animated by me)
- bullet impact sprites made by ZappedCow (zappedcow.itch.io)
- props sprites made by Kenney Vleugels for Kenney (www.kenney.nl)

Project uses one function to update/handle all game logic, and thus doesn't use any wait pattern (thanks to MasterQ32 and Superku). It doesn't use any pathfinding, but obstacle avoidance for AI. I tried to keep things as simple and clean, as it was possible for me to write. Also, project doesn't use any shaders (almost.. I had to use simple one, in order to fix z failing on sprites with alpha channel, if you know a better way, please tell me), so it's possible to compile it with free version of Acknex.

Screenshots:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Video on youtube:
[Linked Image]

I would like to thank all of community members for helping till this day! Few of them I would like to mention:
Felix Queißner aka MasterQ32 (thank you for teaching me and just for being as awesome as you are bro!)
Rene Pol aka Realspawn (thank you for providing me with pro version of Acknex bro!)
Jose Miguel aka txesmi (thank you for your awesome shader pipeline bro!)
Felix Pohl aka Superku (thank you for your awesome pathfinding and tip of the week series bro!)
EvilSOB (thank you for helping me when I was starting! sadly, I don't know your name bro)
EVO (thank you for offering your help with map editor!)

Best regards.
Posted By: painkiller

Re: oldschool fps project - 11/28/17 15:54

I like the movement, seems very smooth and natural, found no bugs while testing it. Those weapon sprites look cool, can't wait to see them in action wink
Posted By: jumpman

Re: oldschool fps project - 11/30/17 15:06

Its great so far 3run, had no glitches or anything. Eagerly waiting the weapons update laugh
Posted By: NeoDumont

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/01/17 00:58

Reminds me of the oldays Freescape games (3D Construction kit). I liked the very abstract cool atmosphere which is also in your game. I wouldn't make a shooter out of this scenary (just my personal opinion) but make a puzzle game or some kind of spindizzy worlds game. Or a scifi story with text or spoken .wav text files. Anyway, abstract games with plain single color texturing can be found quite a few on the net (indie games especially), there is nothing wrong with it. So its a good start, spin it on, there WILL be people who love it.

Thanks for showing us your work !

NeoDumont
Posted By: rayp

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/02/17 02:32

Its great. Feels mega smooth. Would say the best of your movements codes for now!

Cant wait for a weapon demo.
I would say this movement is so good it needs Blood/DN3D like grahpics wink

What i like to see is a bit of smooth camera bobbing if Player idles in water.
Would be great.

If you are bored some day you could add diving maybe.

Nice!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/02/17 11:19

Thank you all for testing it and sharing your experience, I really appreciate it. I was a bit frustrated at first, when got no replies, but now I'm more than motivated to finish this project! New demo and screens to come soon!

Best regards! laugh

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/07/17 00:53

Today I finally got some spare time for my project! I guess I won't use my own sprites in this project grin Reason is cause they won't fit such effects:
Explosion effect WIP#01
(and I'm up to create more of those)

Tell me what you think guys!

Best regards!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/08/17 16:17

looking awesome 3run!

I personally think you can use it for your FPS game, maybe make it pixelated, and the flash part last a little longer.

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/08/17 17:53

Thank you very much!

I recently think more about making it less pixelated (the whole game), but yet oldschool like. Maybe I could use as a placeholders sprites from doom / brutal doom (or some other custom weapons used in doom series), same for enemies, props etc.

But I need to make a story for the whole thing first, and that's the part I'm a little bit stuck with right now. Maybe something like wolfenstein 3d stuff (escaping from prison) + military experiments (like zombies etc).

Greets!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/08/17 18:29

Awesome! Great effect.

I often tryed breaking glass effect but failed. Would be nice combination with explosions nearby.

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/08/17 19:03

Thank you rayp! Yes it would be cool indeed! laugh

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/11/17 15:36

More exoskeletons!

Also a quick question, do I need to manually remove all parent entities? Or do they get removed by themselves on level_load ?

Greets!
Posted By: Kartoffel

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/11/17 15:44

I think they get removed? But don't take my word for it, using the debug panel should give you some insight.

As for the game, looks cool! When it comes to 3d retro games I prefer 3d models, though. (Except for first person weapons. Sprites are fine in that case since the perspective doesn't change)

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/11/17 17:08

Originally Posted By: Kartoffel
I think they get removed? But don't take my word for it, using the debug panel should give you some insight.
Debug panel doesn't really show me anything, values are kept the same on each level load (tried loading new level over and over again for like 10-15 times). I'm afraid that values are too small to affect those values on the panel, and maybe if I'll load new level about 200 times, some values may change grin For now to keep it (kinda) safe, before loading new level, I cycle through all entities, check if they do have parent, and if yes - safe_remove(my->parent). But it would be really great to know, do I need to do that or not.

As for the game, looks cool! When it comes to 3d retro games I prefer 3d models, though. (Except for first person weapons. Sprites are fine in that case since the perspective doesn't change)
Thank you for your kind words! I would like to use models, but it will be cheaper to keep it with sprites + I do actually love visual style with sprites (I would prefer to use them only for characters + weapons + fx, and low models for props). I'll probably hire some artist to make sprites and stuff in future, for now everything is a placeholder (I'm paying too much attention to the sprites I'm using right now and to visuals in general, that's not a good thing to do frown ).

Greets!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/12/17 15:52

Thanks to txesmi, I've added pixelation shader (with some other pp shaders), here are results (still in progress and things may change)! I love them so far.

Best regards!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/13/17 09:40

Originally Posted By: 3run
I'm paying too much attention to the sprites I'm using right now and to visuals in general, that's not a good thing to do frown
Story of my life, lol.

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/13/17 20:05

Isnt the exoskelett from wolfenstein 3d? laugh

Great progress so far mate!
Really like the pixel look

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/13/17 22:11

I'm paying too much attention to the sprites I'm using right now and to visuals in general, that's not a good thing to do frown
Story of my life, lol.
Then you feel my pain grin

Originally Posted By: rayp
Isnt the exoskelett from wolfenstein 3d? laugh
It is grin

Thank you all for your kind words!

Best regards!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/15/17 16:28

any updates 3run? would love to see the weapons shooting and stuff

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/15/17 18:45

Originally Posted By: jumpman
any updates 3run? would love to see the weapons shooting and stuff
Hey! Yes! I'm gonna upload a video today (hopefully in next few hours), pretty sure you gonna like it laugh

Greets!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/16/17 00:35

I thought that only a video won't be enough, so here is a demo!
Download link

And a video for those who are too lazy
(this took some time, any advices on how to convert video (lower it's size) after capturing with fraps is welcome):
fps prototype #1

Shaders aren't enabled yet, not really needed at this point.
If any bugs found, please report (there are two bugs in the video, already fixed in the demo).

Greets!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/16/17 11:21

Awesome! Only the particle effects seem a bit too "high-quality" compared to the pixelated look.

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/16/17 13:22

Thank you! laugh Yes, it's a bit out of place grin But with pixelation pp shader, it actually looks much better! Hopefully next demo/video will have it on.

Greets!
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/16/17 14:26

Looks nice what you made so far, any idea how the gameplay / maps will be?

ps: w00t a crossbow sprite weapon, I always liked those in Heretic or in that hillbilly fps game (forgot the name).

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/16/17 14:46

Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
Looks nice what you made so far, any idea how the gameplay / maps will be?
Thank you man! I'm planing something like 'break free' type of gameplay grin Simply making your way through dozens of enemies, but haven't yet thought about maps in details.

Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
ps: w00t a crossbow sprite weapon, I always liked those in Heretic or in that hillbilly fps game (forgot the name).
Thank you. Unfortunately for now, I'm not planing to use my own made sprites. Maybe when I'll hire an artist, I'll ask to make something similar, cause I liked the idea of throwing dynamite with it grin

Greets

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/17/17 13:33

Looking forward to play a demo map. wink

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/17/17 15:18

I somehow started seeing this project in a completely different way grin
Probably I will remove stationary weapons + exoskeleton.. I want more fast-paced gameplay..

Greets

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/17/17 15:32

Personally I wouldn't do that, cause those features are fairly unique to this genre and makes the gameplay more varying.

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/17/17 17:39

yes, sure they are.. but speaking of oldschool gaming, they don't really fit into the gameplay mechanics old games used to have.

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/19/17 19:34

Ok, so I've started making the game from scratch. First thing I've redone is movement code, now it includes:
Quote:
-swimming
-jumping pads
-sliding (run + crawl)

Everything is pretty WIP yet, but seems to be working correctly.
Movement on stairs has to be smoothed out (or maybe I won't use stairs).- DONE
Please test it, and give me a feedback, any bugs are welcome.

Download link

Edit: updated download link, tweaked few stuff + added some jumping pads to jump around
Edit2: thx to jumping pads, I do already have an idea for a level grin
Edit3: created invisible slope on stairs, so movement is smooth now, thx to mk_1 !

Can you get to the top in one chain, one jump pad right after another? grin
Quote:

Best regards!
Posted By: mk_1

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/20/17 10:39

Use invisible slope on stairs

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/20/17 13:10

Originally Posted By: mk_1
Use invisible slope on stairs
Thank you! That was a great idea, now movement on slopes is smooth!

How I've done it: Created the slope with level block, and in it's surface settings, set 'Flat' instead of 'Shaded' for all sides (so it won't drop shadows) and after that I set it's FLAG1 on. And then I used 'set(camera, NOFLAG1)', after all that slope is completely invisible!

Edit: updated download links (previous post + first thread post), with version where I've added slope. Still looking for more feedback, bugs are welcome!

Best regards!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/21/17 18:29

Added sounds and some other nice effects (underwater pp shader + fog) and fixed some bugs.

Here is a video:
fps prototype #1 (redone)

And here is a demo:
Download link

Edit: I'll probably think about moving to another gamedev forum, for sharing my progress, cause I don't get enough feedback here..
Forum is dead for sure (or at least there is no place for me here).

Greets!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/29/17 23:43

UPDATE!

Added weapons:
Quote:
-fist
-chainsaw
-revolver
-automatic shotgun
-supershotgun
-assault rifle
-minigun
-crossbow
-rocket launcher

Yet WIP, all sprites/sounds/models are placeholders.

Demo:
Download link

Video:
Youtube link

Greets!
Posted By: painkiller

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/30/17 12:27

great job 3run! it looks very smooth and fun!
Posted By: Realspawn

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/30/17 14:44

good work bro laugh time for a flame thrower grin

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/30/17 15:44

Thank you guys! laugh

Realspawn@ actually I though about adding one grin

Best regards!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/30/17 19:04

Amazing!

I could fire the weapons all day long.
The underwater effect is really cool. Reminds me on Quake1 laugh

How to dive? Did i something wrong or is diving not implemented yet?

Great work dude!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/30/17 19:38

Hey, bro! Thank you very much for your kind words! laugh
About diving, press CTRL, for surfacing press SPACE (oldschool games style).

Best regards!

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/30/17 19:41

Ah i tryed c for diving down.

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/31/17 09:29

First attempt of adding 'rocket jumping' failed.. never used it in old games myself, so I can't really tell/test it. Is it really important to have it in game, what do you guys think?

Edit: this is what I have so far.. If you guys could test it and give me your thoughts, I would really appreciate it.
REMOVED.

Edit2: found this video, well it shows pretty much what rocket jumping should be like grin
Quake live: rocket jump training
And what I've done above has nothing to do with this mechanics...

Edit3: updated the demo in this post, with the rocket jumping I had so far... I won't use it anyway (I can't even test it properly, as I've never used rocket jumping in gaming), sliding and jumping pads will be removed as well. You don't need that for a good old school game (blood proves that).

Re: oldschool fps project - 12/31/17 22:29

Happy new year, friends! (it's 1:29 here in Moscow)

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/01/18 14:51

Happy new year! laugh
I think rocket jumping can be fun in games where its either really fast paced (arena/multiplayer) gameplay with lots of explosive weapons (ut rocket arena is most obvious example I quess) or if there are many elevations in the map (like hill that is otherwise more difficult to reach) and that those elevations offer some advantage (like a nice vantage point to snipe enemies etc). Though in my opinion the disadvantage of rocket jumps is that it removes a tactic element when using explosives (since you cannot do much self damage) and ofcourse you will have to set higher boundaries in maps (otherwise a player could jump out of the level grin ).

Iirc what I think is an interesting example of using rocket jump accidently as a feature is in Jedi Knight 1, where you already have gameplay that uses the z-axis alot (/force jump) and rocket jump offers an alternative when your force is low and e.g. quickly need to escape.

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/02/18 12:52

Reconnoiter@ thank you for feedback, man laugh

I'll remove Z jumping from rockets. Games like blood f.e. didn't have/use rocket jumping, but yet they used to push player from explosions. And I'm not aiming for challenging multiplayer gameplay, so players could rocket jump and fly across the whole level shooting everything grin So it's not needed I guess.

Greets!

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/03/18 22:38

Glad to help, also Blood <3
Getting knocked back by explosives sounds like fun, you can use it to kite or such (but suffer some hp) or be kept at a distance by enemies that use explosives (extra challenge). laugh

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/04/18 10:18

yeah, I'm looking for kicking player's ass off the edges, cliffs etc into the lava and stuff laugh

Re: oldschool fps project - 04/15/18 23:15

Hi!

Project isn't dead! grin
It's just mutating a bit..

Sprites, texture are from Sparklin Labs (Western Fps Asset Pack (part 1)) !

Best regards!

Re: oldschool fps project - 04/26/18 20:27

Working on the map editor (very first level made by it).
Can save/load already (thx to txesmi's idea saving the whole array into the file and loading it back again).
64x64 tile level's size is 48kb (it only contains info, no textures etc).

Textures/sprites are all placeholders. Gonna hire an artist to create all stuff.

Credit: id Software

edit by rayp: censored the sprites. forbidden in Germany ( know its stupid )

Re: oldschool fps project - 04/29/18 17:26

A little bit of 'verboten' here grin

Textures made by id Software (wolf3d) and used only as a placeholders.

I can now create maps and load them into an actual level! Only visible part's of the tiles are created and merged into group of models (each wall texture = one group, so totally I have 16 groups + ceiling and floor, that results to 18 and plus collision model (and it's invisible), so totally 19 models models to create full 64x64 map instead of 4 096 tiles). I would love to merge the whole level into one entity, but faced troubles with multitextures (u, v - didn't work as well), but for now I'm pretty satisfied with 18 entities per level (thanks to MasterQ32 and his DynamicModels contribution from TUST and for his useful advices as well!). Next thing to do is placing props, items and npcs, but this part should be easy enough. And then, I'll make some playable demo!

Greets!

Re: oldschool fps project - 04/29/18 18:15

Great stuff @3run.

Also, merging everyting into one entity wouldn't be that beneficial either, as it makes frustum culling useless (Edit: not that there are many polygons to cull but still something to keep in mind).

Re: oldschool fps project - 04/29/18 18:40

Thank you! laugh
I'll keep that in mind! Hopefully, at the end things aren't going to be slow.

Greets!

Re: oldschool fps project - 04/29/18 18:41

Originally Posted By: 3run
Thank you! laugh
I'll keep that in mind! Hopefully, at the end things aren't going to be slow.

Greets!
I'd be very surprised if performance will turn out to be an issue.
Anyway, keep up the good work.

Re: oldschool fps project - 11/29/18 12:32

Started working on this project again! Made some cool progress today, some screens:
Quote:
Map editor

3d level (debug panel)

3d level #2
I guess there is nothing interesting for eyes, but some cool stuff going on there grin F.e. I used flood fill algorithm from the player's start position to cut those parts of the map, which won't be visible during the gameplay. It also helped me to place foliage within the level (this reduced amount of entities on the level from 1049 to 60). Plus, users will be able to add their own custom textures (up to 99 textures allowed), by changing the .txt file (kinda of schoolish grin ). There are lots of things to be added yet, but I'm very happy with the results and wanted to share them with you guys!

My best regards!

Edit: a little update, added some props, now levels are feeling more alive! grin
Quote:

Edit2: added lightshafts from the lamps
Posted By: CocaCola

Re: oldschool fps project - 11/29/18 16:27

it's beautifull grin

In oktober2016 I have try a flatworld(myGameName) Spaceship, i forgot the projct, thx 3run laugh

here is a photo from flat spaceship design V0.0.1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbwn5m4u9hktw51/FaltWorld2016.jpg?dl=0

Re: oldschool fps project - 11/29/18 19:51

Thank you!

That spaceship looks like a house with some satellite antennas grin
Posted By: CocaCola

Re: oldschool fps project - 11/29/18 20:33

it was not very beautifull,the antenas are engine outputs they can be opened (not in model) around for handling the ship.
but i dont wont damage you thread, but you can test the model grin
I have upload it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcasyejb929unbs/FlatWorldSpaceship.mdl?dl=0

Re: oldschool fps project - 11/29/18 20:39

Thank you laugh
Posted By: Raedwulf

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/16/19 10:56

Hi!

@3run: you have a cool website! :-)

Now to my question:
I too want create a game in oldschool style, but my problem is I don't know how I can create enemies by using sprites. Is it possible to show me a script-example?

THX

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/16/19 14:02

Hi there!

Thank you for your kind words. There is an open source project, coming soon. I'll post it on forum. It will help you to develop oldschool projects.

Best regards!

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/16/19 14:13

Originally Posted by 3run
Hi there!

Thank you for your kind words. There is an open source project, coming soon. I'll post it on forum. It will help you to develop oldschool projects.

Best regards!

Thank you very much! - This is a valuable contribution to the community.

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/16/19 19:53

Originally Posted by Raedwulf
This is a valuable contribution to the community.
I hope grin I think it will be ready within a week or soon.

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/27/19 18:37

Update (clickable picture) !
[Linked Image]
All main game mechanics are working now! Another great new is, that EVO offered his help, so soon, this project will get an awesome map editor! At the end, everything will be published for free personal/commercial use.

Best regards!
Posted By: txesmi

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/27/19 20:13

It looks great. Congratulations!

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/27/19 20:41

Thank you man laugh you are one of those, who helped me a lot!

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/28/19 09:39

It looks fantastic!

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/28/19 10:08

Thank you laugh
Posted By: sitrep

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/29/19 06:19

Hey 3run, that looks awesome, will it have swimming underwater also? You had posted video of that underwater stuff a while back and it was really cooool! 😎

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/29/19 07:03

Hey! Thank you laugh About swimming, nope, this project won't have it. The one with swimming is a separate project now, more quake like, while this one is closer to wolf3d type of game.
Posted By: Dooley

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/29/19 15:20

Looks cool!

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/29/19 15:27

Thank you all for your kind words guys laugh I really appreciate it!
Posted By: sitrep

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/30/19 05:17

Looks better than 1995 woofwerestein! Is there a demo available to download ?

Re: oldschool fps project - 08/30/19 06:12

Thank you! laugh No demo yet, right now EVO working on a map editor, after that I'll create several levels and then project will be ready for publishing.

Edit: have to add that I'm working on my own map editor as well, so project will have two map editors for users to choose. One will be build in (made by me) and one from EVO laugh

Re: oldschool fps project - 09/25/19 08:32

It take more time then I thought it will. Had to stop development for a while due to moving from Belarus back to Russia etc.
But recently I've started working on a simple menu for the project, here are some screens
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When menu will get finished, I'll put my hands on the level editor.
EVO already did his editor for this project, all together will be published as soon as I'll finish my part of the project.

Greets.

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/02/20 12:10

I don't really think that anyone kept tracking this project, but just in case grin I'm sorry for such a long delay with no updates. Currently all game stuff are finished, only menu + map editor is not done yet. The map editor by EVO is fully functional so far (big thanks to him!), but I don't really want to publish the source code of my project (undone) with his great map editor. I'm planning to start working on this project again in near future, when I'll find some spare time. I do really hope, that it won't take too long!

Best regards!
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/02/20 20:36

I don't really think that anyone kept tracking this project

I do and I enjoy your updates. It's fun to see such great stuff done with a pretty much dead (but loved <3) engine.

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/02/20 21:29

Originally Posted by Uhrwerk
I don't really think that anyone kept tracking this project

I do and I enjoy your updates. It's fun to see such great stuff done with a pretty much dead (but loved <3) engine.
Uhrwerk! Thank you for your kind words (this means a lot to me!) laugh

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/14/20 12:28

Hi 3run!

Is it possible to show me the script for sprites-npc like enemies?

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/14/20 15:33

Hey man! Sure! Can you please explain what exactly you want me to share (the way they sprites are attached to the bounding box model etc or maybe something else)? AI part in this project is pretty big and complicated to just share it as a single script.

Best regards!

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/14/20 17:10

Hey man! Sure! Can you please explain what exactly you want me to share (the way they sprites are attached to the bounding box model etc or maybe something else)? AI part in this project is pretty big and complicated to just share it as a single script.

Best regards!

Thank you for your help!
In fact I need instead of polygon models sprite models. I have no idea how I can solve this. The AI part is not the main problem.

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/14/20 19:05

What I use is bounding box for collisions and then a model for visuals (I use U, V coordinates to animate my npcs).
Here, I've made a small demo for you to see how it works:
Download link

And a little screen shot laugh
[Linked Image]

You can simply use sprites as well (instead of models as I did). The main difference will be the way you will play animations. I use U, V and you will use my->parent->frame to play sprite sheet animations.

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/14/20 19:13

3run you are really the best!
Thank you very much. I will try it.

Re: oldschool fps project - 01/14/20 19:15

Feel free to ask any questions! :>

Re: oldschool fps project - 03/23/20 20:09

Maybe in the near future, I'll finally have my hands on this...

Download link to what was done already:
https://github.com/3RUN/Retro-FPS

It includes an awesome map/game builder made by EVO (sorry it took me so long to share it here).

Greets.
Posted By: Evo

Re: oldschool fps project - 03/25/20 14:57

Great work. Sorry that I never had time to make a simple help file for the map/game editor. If anyone uses the project, I'll try and get that done so everyone can understand and use it easily. I also have plans to create a standalone version of the editor for custom projects if needed.
© 2024 lite-C Forums