Chaotic warfare

Posted By: FBL

Chaotic warfare - 07/18/05 22:39

I made no updates for a long time, so I thought maybe I should show some newer screens.

No shader work, as the whole thing is running with A5.
I'm aware that the graphics are kinda old, but I hope they at least fit together.
Currently I'm updating all levels to make them a bit more appealing. I started with the forest stage.

Trees are from Loopix.

Posted By: Nems

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/18/05 22:59

WOW firoball, thats great work there, very colorfull and full of interest.
Looks like it could be a good game.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/19/05 03:06

The terrain would look a whole lot better with a better grass texture.. this one currently.. it's too large or something.. i mean, it's hard to explain.. but it looks like the grass isnt flat on the ground, but not in a good way.. like it doesnt fit.. it seems too big in relation to everything else..try to find some texture that shows a bit oif the ground through the grass.. like patches.. this would make it seem more like ground, not some wierd green moss..
Posted By: sempronius

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/19/05 03:35

sure, the level design could use some work, however, I want to know more about the game itself... it's caught my attention and has some potential coolness about it.

- S
Posted By: sTOOs

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/21/05 15:46

yeah! 4lw rockt. Btw:musste ein bischen lachen, als ein paar leute aus meiner klasse neulich deinen howto für kettenhemden ausgedruckt mitgebracht hatten

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/21/05 17:37

ich hab keinen howto für kettenhemden Oo

Thanks for c&c. Everything is noted down, but I cannot promise as I only have very limited time.

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/21/05 17:48

http://www.firoball.de/index.php?show=20 etc
Posted By: Efrint

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/21/05 17:51

die shots sehen wirklich cool aus....weiter so...

the screens are looking really cool...keep it up!

Efrint

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/21/05 18:21

Quote:

Da gehts aber um Beinlinge und nich ums Kettenhemd...

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/21/05 20:28

Quote:

Quote:

Da gehts aber um Beinlinge und nich ums Kettenhemd...

da gibts nen unterschied?

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/28/05 20:54

Island level

Hope you like it.
Posted By: spartan131

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/28/05 21:38

That looks good, i like the colorful style of your game! Is the game like smash bros. melee or something?
Posted By: Tozzy

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/28/05 22:11

Very bright and cheerful. However, I don't think the green guy (in image 1 on page 1)thinks so. He looks as though he's very bored

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/29/05 08:32

Game details:

Your goal is to collect as many power crystals (those yellow-orangish things) as possible during the time limit.
Additionally, there are golems which walk on predefined paths (watch the small blue areas in the ruined village stage). You can kill them to increase your crystal count, but be careful - they are aggressive and can knock you down esaily.

By battling with other players you can win and lose crystals. How many crystals you get from your victim depends on your stamina amount (the yellow bar next to the player portrait). You also have the ability to block.

The special attack needs full stamina and triggers a 360° attack which knocks down every enemy player in range.

The second power bar (empty on these screens) shows ammo. Yes, there are weapons like homing lightning, bouncing acid shot and spread fireball.
I'm reworking the whole appearence of those special items once the level improvements are finished, then I can show some more shots.

To make everything more fun, there are special items hidden in boxes.
Which item you get can be random; sometimes the box content is fixed.
The items speed up movement, slow it down, rotate the camera angle, turn the screen upside down, share all crystals, equally, draw crystals from the enemy players, double the value of crystals or simply exchange the position of players.

Given all that, the gameplay can get very chaotic, as you never can follow the complete action.
I've argued a lot about that, because some people also see this as negative aspect (which I understand). Since I wanted a somewhat chaotic but fun gameplay, I decided to go a middle way. After adding computer players, I noticed that there is simply too much going on, so I increased respawn timers, which helped a lot.
The whole thing takes forever, but this has diffrent reasons...
1.) During summer, I don't have too much time due to my other hobby
2.) Tweaking takes a long time. It is difficult to find the right way between frustration and boredom.

When I have more to show I'll revamp the whole (outdated) game homepage. The info basically is there, but the screenshots are old.
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/29/05 14:05

Very nice shots! There seems to be a lot of ambiance in this game. Hope you'll manage to code a good gameplay. Also I'm happy to see my trees in action

Maybe the crystals could have a little more transparency and fake-reflection (in the skin...cause you don't want shaders). You could also add a lens flare effect on the edges of some crystals...(I mean a car-lights like lens-flare effect...)

Nice project...good luck!
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/30/05 21:31

I really like the colors, and fun of the game

some the textures would need some work and you could use very detailled characters caus your levesl are tiny so you can have more power.

But i really like the visual, better than lot of 3D showcases i have seen
Posted By: william_123

Re: Chaotic warfare - 07/31/05 02:32

Any demo download?
thanks

Re: Chaotic warfare - 08/17/05 22:08

Still needs work....

Enjoy.

Re: Chaotic warfare - 08/18/05 07:31

Great

Instead of putting little walls in a squarre form you could "round them"
and put more broken walls to bring more details.

And yoru characters are really cool also for color, you also could
make them with more details the day you use A6 ?

Keep it up.
Posted By: ello

Re: Chaotic warfare - 08/18/05 07:48

looks cool, really like a chaotic warfare
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Chaotic warfare - 08/18/05 08:19

Wee! nice loking, like the colors and the fog!
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Chaotic warfare - 08/18/05 11:47

Looks slick Firoball! Only level that needs a little more work, would maybe be the island level... But then I'm only speaking about the water part and the sky. The water should have a bright blue color, so it fits the yellow beach, but that's just my opinion...

Cheers

Re: Chaotic warfare - 01/08/06 21:11

Mainly worked on the menu stuff, so nothing really exciting to see this time.

Re: Chaotic warfare - 03/02/06 22:03

A small update.

I replaced the old non working ai with a new non working ai

Well the basics work this time, now I have to make the players a bit more intelligent.
For everyone who wants to see the game in motion, I recorded a short video. No human players in there. All I did was controlling the camera.
The 3rd perosn camera is only for debug reasons and won't be in the final game, it sometimes is very jerky.
Unfortunately my pc is too slow to record everything at a decent framerate.

So enjoy this low quality video.

http://software.freepage.de/firoball/4lw/4lwai.avi (~11MB)
(beware! slow server)
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Chaotic warfare - 03/02/06 22:32

It is very fast, so I could not follow each step they did. The green one seemed to act smart, but I'm not sure.

Wish you further good progress and fun!
Posted By: ulf

Re: Chaotic warfare - 03/02/06 23:04

keep it up firoball, we all want to see a release this century

Re: Chaotic warfare - 04/17/06 21:54

The demo is close, very close.
AI is at an playable state, but still not perfect. But I think the game is already making fun.
Of course it will take some time to get used to the chaotic gameplay, but this is intended. I'm also aware that not everybody will like this. My aim was to create something which does not follow mainstream. Anyone who wants to test the game - stay tuned. I'm only doing some polishing which may take another one or two weeks, then you'll be able to play the long awaited (well... obviously not really) demo.

Meanwhile some screens to cheer you up:

Not all weapons will be abailable in the demo. Some weapons were only included in the levels for test reasons.

Re: Chaotic warfare - 04/17/06 22:03

Great!

I definitely will test it! Together with my son!

Re: Chaotic warfare - 04/21/06 06:56

I found an annoying bug with the AI. I'll have to delay the demo to next week I'm afraid
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Chaotic warfare - 04/21/06 18:35

I really like the style of the game!

It has a nice mixture of comic-like and normal style.
And you're playing very nice with the colors in the night-time level.

As far as I can say from the "frozen" pictures there are nice effects, too.

However I'm looking forward to the demo to see the gameplay.
But take your time to make it as good as you like!
Posted By: Otsego

Re: Chaotic warfare - 04/21/06 23:21

Unfortunately the link of the video file doesn't work anymore.
But judging from what i can see it looks like great fun.. like some kind of "Mario Party fun".
Well, nothing more to say at the moment. Happy programming!

Re: Chaotic warfare - 04/22/06 00:15

Don't worry about the video. It was jerky anyway (my pc is too slow for decent video recording) and showed the non improved AI.
The current AI works way better than the one seen in the video, that's why I removed the video.
I hope I can sort out the remaining bugs during next week. I was about to release the demo on thursday, but then I suddenly found several more bugs, and after fixing those, the AI has a problem with obstacles (this should not be related, though). I'll try to get the whole thing ready next week.

Demo out now!! - 04/27/06 21:13

While the AI still does not work as nice as expected, I'll try to keep my promise at least one time.
Here it is. The first official demo after a long long pause.
Hope you aren't too disappointed. But now enjoy!

Some hints:
- In the player selection screen you have to press the fire button again once you're finished with the setup.
- When waiting a bit at the main menu, a game demo will start
- Default resolution is 640x480. If this one does not work for you, use a command line parameter (see readme.txt below) to start with a different resolution. Afterwards you can change the resolution in the options menu.

http://www.chaostroll.de/4lw/4lwdemo.exe (~11.5 MB, temporary download address only, please do not link!!)

readme.txt
Code:

-----------------------------------
Four Little Warriors - Demo Version
-----------------------------------

>> Introduction

Thanks for trying out the new demo of Four Little Warriors.
The game was a try to create an unique game.
It features chaotic, but yet simple and intuitive gameplay.
To get most of it, gather some friends and play together.
Don't worry if you get lost the first few games, you'll get
used to the game pretty fast.
Not everybody will like this, of course. In case you're one
of those who actually liked it, I want to say thank you.

>> Goal of game

Try to get as many power crystals as possible.
Hit other players and kill golems for additional
crystals.
Add chaos to the game by collecting special items
found in wooden boxes.
Not all items are good for you. Choose wisely.

>> How to play

Player status: - Amount of crystals
- current place
- games already won (yellow dots)
- stamina (red bar)
- ammo (blue bar - only for weapons)

Yellow player: Cursor keys - movement
CTRL - attack/block
Red player: W,A,S,D - movement
Q - attack/block
Blue player: Mouse move - turn left/right
Mouse right - forwards
Mouse middle - backwards
Mouse left - attack/block
Green player: Joystick 1 - movement
Joy1 button1 - attack/block
(Control layout can be changed in the options menu)

Attacking and blocking:

Normal attack: hit attack key once
Special attack: when stamina is maxed hit attack key twice
Block: Keep attack key pressed (requires stamina)

The stamina amount influences strength of the attack

>> Items/Objects

Crystal - collect as many as you can get
Wooden box - contains special item
Red arrow - Increase speed
Blue arrow - lower speed
Orange arrow - change camera angle
Green arrows - randomly change positions
White arrows - steal crytals from other players
Yellow arrows - share crystals with other players
Brown arrow - turn camera upside down (not in demo)
Red crystal - Grow crystals to give double score (not in demo)
Cape - limited invisibility
Shield - limited invulnerability
Magnet - soaks crystals nearby to the player (not in demo)
Mine - can seriously hurt you (not in demo)
Fireball - weapon
Acidball - weapon (not in demo)
Lightning - weapon (not in demo)

>> Command Line

Command line parameters allow altering game settings
-w3d - run the game in compatibility mode
-wnd - run in windowed mode (causes problems with mouse control)
-nj - disable joystick
-nm - disable mouse
-d videoX - choose different startup screen resolution
(replace X by 5,6,7,8,9,10 for different resolutions)
-d alphadepth - enables 32 bit alpha transparency

>> System Requirements

You really shouldn't worry about that.
I played the game on a P2 333MHz with a Voodoo3.
If you should experience slowdowns, change the shadow and
special fx settings in the video options menu.

>> Credits

Music - Sandman
Bass Player - Ian Luck
Character Models - Hai_ok
- Traker
Additional Sounds - George Pirvu
- Sonicfire
Additional Textures - KTS/Crew99
Additional 2D Art - Robotriot
Additional Models - Loopix

>> Feedback

If you have any proposals or feedback please contact
me at unsinnspala<at>firoball.de

>> Web

http://www.4warriors.de
http://www.firoball.de

- firoball - 04/27/06

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/28/06 07:15

very nice firoball! finally its there i like the outcome, controls and gameplay feeling reminds me of some good old console titles.

the only thing i find hard is that you have to press [ctrl] [ctrl] and [enter] to start a game.

so people come and download this great game, it may not have graphics like with the sphere engine but the gameplay is very unique and its actually a "finished" game with 3dgs.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/28/06 07:57

YES!!!!!!!!!!! ITS THERE!

I followed this project since Firo ever talked about it, so I'm quite happy with the release and its very charming that it is finished with the A5 engine Too bad that you can only play it in one stage, but hey! its a demo! I did some notes which can benefit the game:

- controls: especially for this top down perspective it would be nice if you could provide a second method of controlling the character with an camera oriented absolute movement. Means: if the user presses the right arrow key, the character moves to the right and if the user presses the upper arrow key the character moves up. So no need for turning.

- camera: its obvious that the camera zooms in/out to fit the screen so that all characters are visible. Perhaps its better to add a range around the human charcters so that they see where they are running when they are in one corner of the screen: I ran into the bottom-left corner of the screen and I didnt saw anything and than all in a sudden the monster bashed me down: I didnt saw him! PLUS, maybe you should exclude CPU characters for your camera zooming, when they are teleported, because they fly up in the sky and the camera snaps with speed forth and back... is that necessarily?

I only saw crystals on the screen an no health and armor things... I ran out of energy very soon. I have to play it again!

So... I hope you can finish this with some more stages. I think it has networking.. thats pretty cool. Do you think you will port it on A6?

Ciao and best wishes!
Christian
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/28/06 08:49

whoo...feels and looks great...like a REAL game!!! Can't tell much about the gameplay yet...exept that it's all going very fast and that I first have to get used to it

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/28/06 08:51

Some answers:

Controls: I've heard this suggestion several timesalready, but the bottleneck is the keyboard. When having movement relative to the camera you will end up pressing at least two keys at the same time - which makes it impossible to play for two players on just one keyboard in most cases. With the current controls you can at least take care that you don't press too many keys.
I'm not sure whether I'll still touch this, as it has major impact, also on the AI behaviour (time for turning into an direction can be different and such things). Plus it kills the fun when the camera is rotated and everybody who isn't used to it gets confused

Camera: The problem described often happens when a speed extra is collected. This was intended as aou're not supposed to have perfect control over your character in speed mode. Sometimes this problem happens in slowmotion mode as well, because I'm changing the arc, I'll hav e to think a bit more about it.
I've had this problem with the camera jerks when teleporting. This is why I limited the z height (maybe the limit needs to be set lower). It should not snap forth and back, though. Strange.
There is a chance I forgot to set fps_max to 100 in the demo. This can cause such issues... I'll check this later.

Network: The game had A4 network support, which was rewritten since then (A4 networking was a bit buggy). I had to drop support for it. Re-implementing network would be hell a lot of work maybe even impossible with the current code layout, so unfortunately I have to answer this with: Sorry, no network/online gaming.

A6 port: This game will be finished with A5. It's more work than advantage porting this game. My next project will use A6 and at least some shaders - promise

Player menu:
When playing alone(!) a single stroke on the fire button and then enter key when done is sufficient. However I'll probably add a "press fire button when ready" message because this is not clear. This second confirmation is required so the game cannot be started once everybody has set up his player. In the demo there is not much to select here, the final version will allow different warriors to select from. This is a just for fun feature, they all have the same abilities.

Armor/Health:
There is no armor and no health. It's all about crystals.
You cannot run out of energy permanently.
The two bars are stamina and ammo.
Stamina automatically recovers. The more stamina you have, the more damage you'll do on a golem and the more crystals you can steal from other players. Wehen blocking, stamina is drained, maximum stamina (when the yellow/orange particle appears and a short sound appears) allows to do special attacks.
All you need to do is to get as many crystals as possible by collecting them, slaying golems, attacking other players, or using special items out of boxes.

One more thing:
I know the gameplay is strange, and I know you don't understand much the first time you play. It takes some time to get used to it. So everybody who did not uninstall the game after only a short try: Thank you for actually trying

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/28/06 17:24

Update:

- I confirm the camera bug. Did not notice it yesterday. Will be fixed.
- Found another AI bug. When knocked down sometimes the AI gets confused. I'll look into this issue.
Posted By: jumpman

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/28/06 19:33

whoa nice job firo, its clear to see you put alot of work into the game. Nice job so far.

During play its obvious that your bots arent using any tighter pathfinding like A*star or something, but this really isnt needed since your level build is small and reletivley open for them. However alot of times a bot would get stuck in that little broken down hut running into a wall, and many of the warriors would clump together in the middle of the map running into each other. Do you have some sort of short term steering behavior? Maybe that would eliminate some of the running into walls/other bots. Code the bots to throw a short range trace in front of them, and if it hits something, turn away.

I did like the walking line of golems, smacking warriors if they got too close, it added that "environmental hazard" like supersmash brothers or mortal kombat. Though at first it was a little jarring to be completley knocked out when they swung at you, and it broke the momentum of the run. But however, as I kept playing, I made an effort to watch out for the golems, and this actually worked out gameplay wise, as I was a bit more patient and cautious running around them, giving them more of a threat factor. Really cool.

I totally understand where you are coming from in terms of too many players on one keyboard, cause I tried making a 2 player game with a somewhat reasonable amount of key control, and it ended up freezing one players state when another player pressed too many keys. With that said, I dont know how your supposed to make it reasonable for that many players to play at once. The mouse turning was a little awkward, and even when I gave it time it still was a little touchy (especially when the "rotation" event happened, but we all know thats supposed to make us confused ). I wouldnt know any way to accomadate that many human players at once with as little conflict as possible, without an extra game pad or joystick (that still is fluid an intuitive)

Swinging the sword was nice, when you wanted to stay and bash another player into submission, but how about if you also include a running attack swing? Maybe this would decrease the dependency of a player set himself up before he attacks. Running around collecting crystals was great fun, but when I wanted to attack someone, I was forced to stand still, increasing my chances of getting pummeled by that golem, or hit in the back by another cpu. Of course a moving attack wouldnt break your game unless you overpower it, but maybe this could offer a little bit more fluidity and freedom to the chaos.

With the stamina bar, you could add an announcing animation to the bar that is big enough to see from the corner of your eye. When the stamina bar is full, throw off a big sprite on the player's bar that is the players color. That way while the player is concentrating on running and fighting, he could get a clue that he has full stamina without having to pull his eyes toward the bar.

What I liked:

I liked the color palette, it was pleasant and attractive, very much like a comic book. Lots of gstudio'ers think that since their game is cartoony, they can throw in some outlandish colors thinking it will match the palette, only making the player go blind.

The animations where smooth, especially with the transitions. Out of lazyness I usually just pop right into the next animation, but with animation blending it really adds alot.

Pretty much everything else

Good job so far firo, I really really like the game so far, hope to see it finished and maybe at the gamestop down the street

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/30/06 08:05

Disappointed!?

You're crasy, your game is awesome!

Espacally all the menu effects! O_O
All the rotation stuff that flys around, it must have taken tons of time to make it look so nice!

And it was _not_ difficult to get into it.
I read the control description and the rest was clear.
Thus after a few minutes I wasn't killed all the time any more.

It has a well gameplay even if I expected that the arrow keys let me walk to the direction they point to, but it is ok like it is.

There's only one thing that you could build in (maybe).
I had problems to find my character sometimes, thus it took some seconds after a teleport or view rotation until I realized that I'm the one in the corner hit by everyone.
Maybe it's just because I'm partially color blind, but a trinangle with the player color over his head could help?

I think next saturday I'll paly some rounds with a friend!

A very nice game you made, young padavan!

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/30/06 08:56

no shore, its not because you are partially color blind. i have this problem too, its hard to find yourself after a teleport. i also think a pointer over the head for your own player would be helpful but it would probably defeat the intention of the teleport...
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/30/06 11:26

Hallo,

die Musik ist sehr gut die Grafiken auch. Die Scripts sind auch ok. Das Spiel ist bei mir abgestürzt als ich ins Optionsmenü wollte. Weiß nicht warum. Seitdem mache ich einen großen bogen um diesen Menüpunkt und auch alle anderen. Zum Glück lief es beim dritten Anlauf (1. Anlauf: start nach Installation (abgestürtzt) 2. Anlauf options menü angeklickt (abgestürtzt)).

Natürlich habe ich keine Anleitungen gelesen weil es auf den Screenshots einfach aussah. Allerdings musste ich einmal mein Keyboard rauf und runter bis ich als Player 2 spielen konnte

Gameplay: Erstmal was mir nicht gefällt:
- die Runden dauern viiiiieeel zulange; da ich immer nur verloren habe und anscheinend drei runden gewinnen sollte war mir das zuviel
- irgendwie ist das Spiel verdammt schwer; ich habe sehr oft sehr viele Golds eingesammelt und kurz bevor die Zeit(halbe Ewigkeit) um ist Kloppen alle auf mich ein und ich verliere mein komplettes gold. DIe ham mir mit einem schlag 10 von 30 gold abgenommen oder so ohne das ich was dagegen machen konnte.

- ich fänds cooler wenn man sich KO hauen muss. Zur abwechslung könnte es auch Missionen geben wo man das meiste gold sammeln muss oder sowas. Das spiel erinnert mich stark an Power Stone (2) das Spiel dieses Genres schlechthin.

- nach dem item durchmischen habe ich meine Spielfigur nichtmehr erkannt. Die ritter sehen sich alle sowas von Ähnlich. Also kurzgesagt, individuelle figuren fände ich ebsser (wie yoshi, kirby, Klemptner und so)

- Combos und mehr verschiedene items (tipp: power stone) wären nett. Aber du willst wahrscheinlich kein power stone machen, wobei ein power stone clone was gutes wäre.

+ was ich gut finde: musik, level design, das spiel ingesammt alles wirklich top. Nur noch nicht ganz ausbalanciert habe ich das Gefühl. Also auch wenn hier jetzt nur ein + punkt steht, dann ist der wirklich groß Wenn man das über internet spielen könnte würde ich mitmachen.

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/01/06 00:49

Attacking while running: There is an easy reason why this is not in the game: I don't have aniamtion frames for that. However I already changed it a bit so the palyer won't stop immediately but still slide a bit. Also with a runnign attack I might get gameplay problems because it mght not be possible anymore to escape then.

AI: Yp, tehre are still some problems I missed to fix in the demo. I'll do that soon. But currently I need a short break
About the palyers getting stuck in the hut: Yes, this is a big problem. This happens, when there is no target directly reachable. This can be the case very often. Maybe I'll implement some fallback with waypoints, but first I have to fix the issue with wrong behavior after knockdown - this is an annoying one.
Stamina reach maximum notification: is already in. However you won't see it at the panel, but at your player (this is where you should keep your eyes the most time anyway ). If there is a short bright sound and you see those yellow/orange streak particles, stamina just reached maximum. As long as stamina is full you'll see a transparent flashing hologramm of yourself getting bigger and fading out periodically.
When weapon is ready for attack again, your fist will glow in the color of our blade.

Gamestop? I highly doubt that. Maybe if there is enough interest I'll sell the version as shareware at a fair price - but no. You probably won't ever find this game in a store.
---------------------------
Teleporting can be confusing, yes.
You're supposed to know (after a few times) where a teleporter will lead to when teleporting, so you can actually improve your skills a bit
if you run into a teleporter or get knocked into it and then teleported, you can easily get lost. This was intended. As I said experimental gameplay stuff
---------------------------
Rundenzahl (1/3/5), Spieldauer(1-5min), Schwierigkeitsgrad(1-3) sind einstellbar.

KO hauen wollte ich nicht, das wäre dann ein ganz anderes Spielprinzip. Habs aber auf ner Liste für alternative Spielmodi stehen. Ob ich die jemals reinabu, steht aber in den Sternen. In die erste Versipon kommts auf keinen Fall rein, evt. später mal.

In der Demo ist die Charakterauswahl eingeschränkt. Wenn alles klappt wirds in der Vollversion 3 Krieger zur Auswahl geben. Zwei davon sind fertig, der dritte braucht noch ne Skin.

Combos sind zwar witzig, aber passen imho nicht so richtig ins Spielprinzip (dann liegt zuviel
Gewichtung aufs Gekloppe). Soll, wie du richtig erkannt hast, kein Powerstone sein, wobei Powerstone2 natürlich der beste Chaosprügler ist, den es gibt. Ich liebe das Spiel.
Dafür kann man einen Rundumschlag ausführen(2x Angriff) und blocken (Angriff gedrückt halten).

Schade daß das Spiel bei dir abstürzt. Habs auf diversen Systemen getestet (auch uralten) und das lief immer einwandfrei).
Was sein kann, ist, daß eine der Entity-Panelgrafiken eine ungültige Größe hat. Das ist mir bei Voodoo3 (und nur bei Voodoo3) öfter mal passiert. Ich dachte das äre auf neueren Grafikkarten kein Thema mehr. Was anderes würde mir nicht einfallen.
Ich laß es bei Gelegenheit mal wieder auf Voodoo3 laufen und schau ob irgendwelche Grafiken beanstandet werden. Falls ja, ist das ja vielleicht das Problem.

Thanks for crits and commands everyone.

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/03/06 08:28

Has anyone noticed crashes during the game?

This probably only applies for framerates beyond 75 (this excludes many TFT screens when playing fullscreen).
I get some strange empty pointer errors with the AI on my new PC - the old one doesn't show any. Seems to be a framerate issue.

If you experience crashes during a match (not in one of the menues) plese tell me your system specs. In windowed mode the chance of crashing should be remarkably higher.
I'll try to find out what is going wrong here (ugh...)

Bugs found in demo so far:
- Frame rate is not limited to 100 fps (fixed)
- Sound Volume was not set correctly after game start (fixed)
- wrong AI behavior after knockdown
- Camera jerks when position change / teleport (fixed)
- AI causes empty pointer messages with high framerates

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/04/06 09:24

Updated demo release available now:

http://www.chaostroll.de/4lw/4lwdemo.exe

Bugfixes and changes:

- Frame rate was not limited to 100 fps
- Sound Volume was not set correctly after game start
- wrong AI behavior after knockdown
- Camera jerked when position change / teleport occured
- AI caused empty pointer messages with high framerates
- Version information added
- Structure changed for smaller future updates.

Enjoy!

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/09/06 18:48

Would like to give you feedback so badly, but the system always crashes after a minute or so!

My specs:
Pentium4 3GHz
1.0 Gb RAM
Ati X300

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/10/06 07:18

Hm this sounds like you have the old demo version. Your specs should be fine. Did you try out any other Direct X8.1 based game? Just to make sure it's not the video drivers.
Does it crash during the game only or also in menu mode?
I was not able to reproduce any crash on a new, old and on a very old system, under Win XP as well as Win 98.
In the new demo the empty pointer issue is fixed. The new demo displays "Ver.11d" during the splash screens. If this is not the case, you still have the old demo.
If this still is not the case after downloading the demo again, it might be possible that your ISP still has the old file in the proxy. I've had that before.
If I have some more webspace available I'll upload the emo again under another link, to make sure it really is the new one, but for now I'm afraid I have to leave it as is because of the contest (This means one more week).

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/10/06 21:33

Ok, I got the new webspace earlier than I thought - please try this link and see if this version works. I hope so...

http://www.4warriors.de/temp/4lwdemo.exe

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/12/06 06:52

It works!

I still think it's amazing what you made, I think a some of people couldn't imagine to do such nice things with A6.

But I'm still confused, maybe I just can't play games where you rotate with left/ right instead of turning directly to the arrow direction.

Thus I still loose, but I even had 30 crystal, until 2 seconds before the end of the game the smashed me to the ground...

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/12/06 06:56

Hehe, yes I added a routine which makes the players change targets once the time is running out

Try blocking (keep fire button pressed) to survive.

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/27/06 19:55

I finally tested it on my laptop, and it works fine!

Although, even the lowest difficulty is too fast for me!

Better make 9 difficulties than only 3, like Nintendo does in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Especially Kids prefer to win!

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/27/06 21:26

Great game and demo

i just don't like mouse or keyboard control, awfull !

Why not having done like Diablo, Guild Wars etc ... a point and click system ?
simple and effective ?

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/28/06 16:01

There's nothing more boring than point & click. It feels like playing a game with a mouse and not like actually moving the character. I hate that. You'll never see it one of my games. NEVER.

Apart from that: Support for four mice??

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/28/06 19:59

I don't know !

what i can say , this is not as good as mario 64 controls.
even space shooters scrolling in 2D with mouse are better and fun to play
than your game.

i'm part of that people that won't play more levels even if free caus of strange
controls : the characters turns too fast without any inertia: bad and
old school for me.

perhaps other people like that ?

Appart from that cool and original game.

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/29/06 07:45

Old school was intended.
Posted By: Lost

Re: Demo out now!! - 05/31/06 18:01

They just take a wee minute to get used to if you ask me. I just occasionally loose track of where my player is on screen and herein begin to bump around.

Re: Demo out now!! - 06/29/06 09:53

Homepage is now updated with some new screens.

Final demo 1.2d will follow once I have some more time to complete the chm manual.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Demo out now!! - 06/30/06 21:48

Quote:

There's nothing more boring than point & click. It feels like playing a game with a mouse and not like actually moving the character. I hate that. You'll never see it one of my games. NEVER.

I totally disagree. Diable style is fun, and very popular. Ever played Sacred? That game rules. Most third person rpgs games should be point and click in my opinion.. becasue its hard to control in thrid person using mouse and keyboard, etc.. does nt feel right.

In diablo-style movement, the camera doesnt impeed you from controlling your character, and you dont have to navigate around obstacles, becasue you would have some basic pathfinding as well.

A LOT of pople like the diablo-style movement.

Re: Demo out now!! - 06/30/06 22:33

I don't, so I won't. Okay? fine. No point and click from my side. Period.
My passion for games began with consoles - there was no such thing as point and click and I never missed it.

Luckily it's my decision how to design my game, and I've made up my decission there.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Demo out now!! - 07/03/06 09:12

i guess, i still dont understand not having a following cam,or at least having the ability to make an overhead cam, that has the same pan as your character, cuz it reminds me of trying to control an rc car, takes a lot of time to get used to you, and it never quite feels "natural"

Re: Demo out now!! - 07/04/06 15:43

Yeah, but getting dizzy of all the camera turning is very unwanted too ... that's currently a problem in the design of one of my games, so maybe this kind of movement suits topdown games better ...

Cheers

Re: Demo out now!! - 09/01/06 08:45

Version 1.2d is now available on the DVD of the german game magazine Gamestar (10/06).
For anyone who can't/doesn't want to download the 12MB file this might be an alternative.
Look under "Leserwettbewerb" (User competition) to find the demo.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Demo out now!! - 09/01/06 08:53

im going to get the mag. not because i cant afford the few megs to download, but jsut because i think its cool getting this with the mag...

it has this cool feeling you know^^

Re: Demo out now!! - 10/26/06 20:51

Some news....

Space level is now final. It needs some more balancing and the AI needs another update, as it has some problems with the level (it shouldn't have, though, I assume there's a bug around somewhere).
Listen to atmospheric sounds and watch flying dishes moving around.
This very narrow level requires you to play offensive - otherwise you'll get smacked all over.

Winter is coming soon, and so is the snow level. A frozen lake delivers some great sliding playground. Take care when controlling your character as it might slip away easily. Filled with special weapons, this level is one of the most chaotic (and fun!!) ones.

Re: Demo out now!! - 10/26/06 21:27

Do the flying dishes collide with the actors?

The snow level with the sliding seems to be a special fun!
Do the crates slip, too?

Re: Demo out now!! - 10/26/06 21:32

Quote:

Do the flying dishes collide with the actors?

Nope. They have no influence on the gameplay.

Quote:

Do the crates slip, too?

Yes. You can push the snowman over the ice as well.

Re: Demo out now!! - 10/26/06 21:38

Quote:

Quote:

Do the crates slip, too?

Yes. You can push the snowman over the ice as well.

That's cool!

There are other things that needs explanation, too: can the actors cast spells on others, and is it possible to control the lightning, or hits it anything?

Re: Demo out now!! - 10/26/06 21:52

No spells.
There are three special weapons.

taken from the manual of the demo:

Quote:

Fireball - This special weapon features spreadshot fireballs. Make good use of this advantage.

Acidball - When collecting this weapon you will be able to shoot bouncing acidballs. With each collision the acid ball gains speed, which makes it difficult to escape.

Lightning - A special weapon which shows random behaviour.The lightning which is emitted when attacking can change direction and might also split up into several other lightnings.

Posted By: Shadow969

Re: Demo out now!! - 10/27/06 16:46

Cool !I liked most the lightning!!Is the demo release soon?

Re: Demo out now!! - 10/27/06 16:51

You can get demo version 1.2d (forest level only) from here: http://www.4warriors.de/index.php?show=files

I have no plans for another demo currently.
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: Demo out now!! - 10/27/06 17:19

great!nice menu and gameplay
i think redefining controls would be a nice feature, because at first it's a bit difficult to contol the player with the mouse
and good ai,interesting to watch bots battle

Re: Demo out now!! - 10/27/06 17:40

Key configuration is possible.
Options -> Input devices
You can either switch devices between players or redefine keys for each device.
Posted By: Shinobi

Re: Demo out now!! - 10/29/06 01:59

Sieht ziemlich beeindruckend aus Firoball , weiter so

-----------------------------------------

Looks very good Firoball keep it going

Re: Demo out now!! - 01/05/07 22:28

Small update.

I played around a bit with Wiimote and Nunchuk.
In case you have the possibility to connect the Wiimote to your PC (most Bluetooth dongles should be able to detect Wiimote after keeping pressed 1+2 Buttons for a while), this is the right version for you.

More:
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/sho...e86b#Post717972

Note: This is just a test version.

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/12/07 20:09

Some news:

The game will be released as freeware. The first release will be in playable state, but I might do some improvements when I have some time and motivation left later

I still need to do some work on the homepage - but once I'm finished you can download the game for free. If you like the game you'll be able to donate some money to help me keep the website running.

For now, you can check out the contest demo to see whether you like the game.

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/22/07 20:21

Promotion Video is available now!

Unfortunately Youtube messed up the quality. The original movie is very crisp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZlQ0mzYyzg

Alternative Google Video link:
http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-9130526782308296483
Posted By: bstudio

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/22/07 21:10

nice video firoball, though i have to say that the animations don't always look really good. I mean they look ok, but it could be just a tad better

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/23/07 15:40

The music fits exactly with the fast fighting!

I would have told a "story": choosing a model, starting the game, running around, collecting an item, adding the points, hitting a box, collecting an event item, showing the effects of that item, and after that fighting, falling, (all that what you already showed in your video), then the ending with loosers and winners...

But its okey as it is because it is fast and gets drive by the music!

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/23/07 19:13

Alright. The game looks ok. Partially it´s looking very good and partially not so good. I think you should check out Smashbrothers or powerstone (at least videos of it).

You should first take care of good gameplay and later about the grafics. I mean the grafics are right now better as the gameplay what´s no good mix, because the Vorfreude will be bigger as the Spielspaß... The otherway around would be better. Anyway I think you are on the right way. Good work!

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/23/07 21:43

New demo.

http://www.4warriors.de/index.php?show=files

Features not always good looking animations, good and not so good graphics and a gameplay lot worse than any graphic of the game. Have fun. And please don't expect any Spielspaß after your Vorfreude.

Re: Demo out now!! - 04/24/07 14:05

allright! I played it now It´s realy good, but lacking at some points here and there espacially gameplay wise.
- The time limit is a little annoying. I think it´s better in "wacked!" where you have to collect a certain amount of stars. If you hit an enemy he looses stars and you can collect them. If you "kill" an enemy he looses a lot of stars. Depending on the weapon you use to hit him the amount of lost stars changes. No stars ever leave the arena. That means there are for sure up to 500 stars on the screen. I think your arenas are more small as in "wacked!" so that shouldn´t be the problem
- the house in the first arena should become transparent as soon as someone is behind it (mapentity isntead of levelblocks).
- the player with the most crystals should be glowing (particle effect above his head) or something to mark him as best target
- the player should be marked from time to time, so I know where he is. Sometimes the yellow players looks like the green player.
- more and better weapons and the enemies should be pushed away by attacks

OK, that´s what I think. Good work! EX Citer

Re: Demo out now!! - 06/28/07 20:17

Game is finally released!

Sorry, that it is not completely free as I promised, but this didn't work out.
However the free version has two levels. If unlocked after paying you can play all 5 levels and two more characters.

Join the fight now!
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Demo out now!! - 06/29/07 12:27

Quote:

Game is finally released!
Join the fight now!

Great to hear, I'll be joining very soon
Let the battle begin

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Demo out now!! - 06/29/07 15:42

Congrats on releasing your game!!! Do you still have the Machinea Supremacy music in it?

Cheers

Four Little Warriors released - join the fight now - 06/30/07 11:25

There never was Machinae Supremacy inside the game itself - only in the promotion video.
I asked them about useage for a video and they said "That's cool, go ahead and use our music".

Re: Four Little Warriors released - join the fight - 06/30/07 13:45

niceone but since its a commercial quality product now, this thread should go to showcase 2 good luck with the sales
© 2024 lite-C Forums