Map-Editor first official screens

Posted By: TripleX

Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 16:45

Hey

As some of you know I'm working on an Ingame Map and Material Editor at the moment. There are many Map Editors (especially WED ) around here so maybe you asked why you should use THIS Editor. I'll explain it to you:

The specialty of this editor is, that you do everything ingame. Example: You play your game as normal (to include the editor, you only have to write include <map_editor.wdl>; in your main script) and you run through your level. Suddendly you see a wrong material, a missing/needless model, wrong settings, wrong skills on an entity or sth. like that. In the normal case you would have to quit your game, change the Settings, restart your game, test the settings etc.
With this editor you will only have to click one key and an interface will pop up (game will be frozen). Now you change the specific/wrong setting. After that you make the interface interface invisible by clicking the key again, and now you can play your game with the new settings.

Next specialty. This changes are not only made Ingame. The editor changes the wmp/$$m (for entities) and wdl (for materials) files independantly, and builds at the end of the Game (of course in "entities only" mode.. -> will take only 1-2 seconds).
So after a restart all changes settings (Skills/Positions/Angles/Flags/Material Settings/Create Entities&Materials/ Delted Entities&Materials) are the same as you've setted them in the editor.

At the moment this editor is planed to be free for everyone.

There is still a lot of work to do, but the main and most difficult parts are finished. And never forget.. I'm always looking foreward to further feature-suggestions.
At the end here are some screenshots of the editor:

As always in my Projects: Level/2D graphics by SFMAT4, Programming made by me
have a nice day and sorry for some english grammer/spelling faults.

critisim, suggestions and and and are welcome

Triple-X
Posted By: RobH

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 17:09

TripleX, the pics are looking great! Exspecially the panels with materials, lights etc. Are some materials coming with the editor? If not, for the future, can you include a material editor? Hope your programme will be free ( )?
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 17:14

This is pretty interesting TripleX, the userinterface looks good and self-explaining. By the way, we can't edit blocks too?

Cheers

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 17:19

@RobNic Yes free Materials (Bump Mapping, Enviroment Mapping etc.) are planed or already implemented. By the way, a "light" material editor is also already implemented. Have a look at the second screenshot. You can change all these things, and the Shadercode in realtime. Its also planed to load skins etc. for a material.

@PHeMoX Theoretically it would be possible to edit blocks and lights. But you wont see any change because Blocks are not dynamic. You would have to restart the game and build with "build map". This would be nonsense.
Editing Lights however is more interesting. Although i can not edit the old light, i could set a new Dynamic Light. I'll have a look at that.

TripleX

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 17:28

Quote:

@PHeMoX Theoretically it would be possible to edit blocks and lights. But you wont see any change because Blocks are not dynamic. You would have to restart the game and build with "build map". This would be nonsense.
Editing Lights however is more interesting. Although i can not edit the old light, i could set a new Dynamic Light. I'll have a look at that.
TripleX

Yeah, you're right that would be kinda nonsense then...
As for the lights, you mean the limited-by-8 dynamic lights?
Wouldn't that give problems? Or are you thinking about a kind of preview option with the dynamic light, and then at reloading, there will be a static wed-light? If possible, this could work nicely..

Cheers

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 17:30

Yep this is exactly what I'm thinking about. The only big problem behind that, will be, that i can not delete the old shadow map so the "old" light will stay on emitting light.

Triple-X
Posted By: bupaje

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 17:31

This looks really awesome TripleX! Fantastic. Conitec must hire you.

Ok I'll fire off my first suggestion. Remember I am not a programmer (yet?)

How about creating to save EasyParticles effects with emitter as a 'package' and place them right in here. For example say in this level I want to have some steam leaks from pipes, some electric sparks from broken cable, leaking water, some small gas flames or maybe some smoke in oven maybe you could create these in EP and save it so that instead of adding an entity and assigning an action each time you could import these in a dropdown of 'particle presets' and the user could point and click and place the steam in a few places, the fire, smoke and sparks etc this is more useful to see in game live when you are creating an enviroment or mood. For example you create a dark alley and you can say hmmmm... this would look much scarier with some rain, click add your rain preset that you had made before in EP, hmmm... wonder how it would look with some steam coming out of the manhole cover .... or you are designing a waterfall and want to add a few particle 'splashes' by a few rocks ....

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 17:36

and more .....

-might be useful to also be able to edit the speed and any other settings of animated textures, movies if possible as well, and if this includes outdoors the sky. Plenty of times I've put a water texture or clouds etc and they race and have to go back and forth to get it right. I know much will move to shaders but these animated textures are still useful.

-with new decal management system might be useful to be able to place blood, a few bullet holes and other decals on your level live just to create a mood instead of having to paint say one texture without blood and holes and one without. Not sure how effecient decals are etc but just a thought ...
Posted By: ello

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 17:52

hey, you are the coolest guy in town:) i am realy excited about this ingame editor
will there be a file browser for the entities

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 17:56

Quote:

will there be a file browser for the entities

Would be possible yes. I'll think about that idea (pretty interesting ).

Triple-X
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 18:00

This is amazing!! Almost too good to be true. Keep it up!
Posted By: Excessus

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 18:02

wow TripleX! That looks really fantastic!

About the light editing, is it possible (and not very hard) to draw on the lightmap? Then you could darken the area where the old, static light was, and place the dynamic light on the new place. I don't know anything about how the fileformats work, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Looking forward to playing with this.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 18:33

@Excuss Nope its not really possible to access the shadowmap. I would have to change the wmb file at runtime etc.

The only possible way would be the deleting of the light in the $$M and WMP file and rebuilding with Update Lights..But this build proccess takes a while..

Triple-X
Posted By: Drittz_Dourden

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 18:34

HOLY MOATCARP FATMAN THATS SWEET!!!! keep up the good work tripleX can't wait to get my hands on this!

Daniel
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 18:52

Realy very good idea. How save is it? I mean it can take a lot of time placing all entities, and when it´s then saved but going wrong it´s a big pain. And is it very handy, like keyboard shortcuts, artificail intelegence (auto placing entity on ground), out of solid, rotating with the ground etc.

EX Citer
Posted By: IslandDreamer

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 19:00

I second the idea of tightly integrating your new editor with Easy Particles! I'm not complaining, but how can you afford to do such great work for free?
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 19:00

I was looking for something like this since the beginning! Thanks for working on it!
Only thing to add: adjusting terrain vertices in game
Posted By: Asse

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 19:04

@ Island_Dreamer: I've never seen him but maybe he is a little bit thick because of his great heart

Very good work Triple, I'll think about some additional features!
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 19:24

omg! Well.. thats TripleX ^^

I'm curious, not sure u posted it aleready, but what is the full feature list (by now)¿
looks Ultra (XL if Ati) nice!

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 19:30

lol [censored] (damn censored.. f..u..c..k..) ya asse

@loopix Adjusting terrain Vertics in game is not planed. Sorry.. Maybe I'll think about this in a later Version, but even at the moment it will take a long time too implement everything correctly

@all ideas that will be implemented (or I'll try to implement )

- Entity Navigator (Object list as ello suggested)
- Placing Entity on the ground
- Creating Entitiys at runtime
- Changing the Action of an Entity at runtime
- Rotating with the Ground

@EX Citer: Yes how save is it.. a good demur... Of course the idea of the editor is really unsave.. Change things in an wmp/$$M editor by hand (with string manipulations) is really difficult and vulnerable to bugs. Tough i've done a lot of testing (and i'll need a lot of beta testers) i've almost deleted all bugs.
But of course i don't have the illusion that i can eliminate all bugs (in a beta test). So i've programed a good Backup Manager.. (Create backups at every start, and everytime you want to )

What do you mean with the feature "out of solid" ?

thanks
Triple-X

[EDIT] @Ex Citer.. Oh sorry i haven't understand you correctly. You didn't mean how save your map is but how save your work results are. They are very save, because the WMP / $$M file are edited always after editing one model -> If your game crashs, the informations are saved.

This is not the case with the Materials. But if you want I can implement a "Save Materials" button for our nervous users

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 19:34

Okay the full feature list

- Loading all Materials out of a WDL File
- Possible to adjust the Shader Code and all settings of every material in your game at Runtime. Wdl files will be actualized at the end of the game.
- Changing Every Skill/Flag etc. of every Entity in your Level
- Remove and Create(I'm working on the create atm) entities dynamicly
- Change the material of every Entity (or even assign a new material to an entity)
- Morph the Models in the Map
- Create and Remove materials at runtime
- Set the camera as dynamic light (for testing your materials)
- automatic building at the end (after exit;) if neccesary.
- Never forget.. All Map informations are saved in the wmp / $$m file

Overall the basic concept is finished (except creating models) But much more too do

big features planed:

- Finish the Code for createing Entities
- Maybe create Sounds (WED -> Add Sound)
- The list above
- Change the Skins of the Materials
- Ability to change the event function of materials ingame

TripleX

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 19:44

Sorry if this is included in what you plan but just in case ....

Maybe a panel to play with fog and clipping ranges 'live' would be useful as well?

Do I understand you will not be able to change static lights -only dynamic? If this is the case might it be possible to do something like use static lights to 'emulate' a static light in the live view and then 'save as static light' and place a static light in that position with those setting automatically in WED? This way you can play with lighting a scene and when you have the a nice configuration generate the static lights and build. Ignore me if I misunderstood.

[EDIT: Ignore I see this is already planned ....]

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 19:50

"Maybe a panel to play with fog and clipping ranges 'live' would be useful as well?"

Of Course this WOULD be possible.. But don't forget, that it is your script.. And with a script you have endless possibilities..So if you change the cliprange or don't use the camera view in your script i can not change this with the Map Editor..

I could write a starter for sth. like this.. But as I said..Changing sth. which isn't saved in the WMP file can be overwritten by you in the Script.

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 19:59

Quote:

But don't forget, that it is your script.

Ahhh...right. I was already envisioning visually creating the entire game; got carried away.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 20:01

Btw nothing against your idea.. I'll implement Fog and Cliprange changing. But as said i can not gurantee that the developer don't overwrite these settings.

ATM I'm working that you can also change Entities which are dynamically created (ent_create)... If this is implemened i'll be able to start the entity creating code..

TripleX

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 20:15

Oh, ok. Again, I'm no programmer so this may not make sense, but maybe fog, cliprange and others can be written to a mapeditor_alt.wdl so they can optionally include it for testing or if they change it they know where all these 'not saved in WMP' bits of code are at least.
Posted By: tuschcarsten

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 20:19

Oh yes, looks very good and sounds fantastic!

......I want to have this tool ...

Great work, Triple !

mfg tuschcarsten

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 21:03

@Bupaje Sorry that i don't said sth. to the Easy particle implemantion.. Haven't read it.

A small statement: If this editor will be succesful, sfmat4 and I are playing with the thought to write a similar easyParticle (ingame-easyparticle).

But even if this editor will be very succesful. Don't plan with an Ingame-easyParticle in the near futur

TripleX
Posted By: Zubera

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 22:21

wow! I cant say more . This looks wonderful ^^.
Want to have *saber*
Posted By: Grafton

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 22:50

Even if this dosent see frutation as invisioned, you must be a really cool person to be so generous to the 3DGS community. Thanks TripleX!
Posted By: hack-panther

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/19/05 22:51

Das tool wird sicher geil und sehr nützlich....

freu mich schon drauf :-)
Posted By: Sandaras

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 01:52

Hallo !!!

Schönes Spiel
Posted By: Locoweed

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 02:01

Looks excellent.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 06:11

ICh schreib mal lieber auf deutsch damit es weniger missverständnisse gibt

Bei out of solid meinte ich, wenn man ne entity in dem Level im Spiel plaziert kann es ja passieren das sie in nem Block ist wenn sie erstellt wird und man überhaupt nicht weiß wo sie ist.
Posted By: Aram

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 06:25

Awsome. Keep up the good work.

Can't wait to try it myself.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 10:50

@Sandras Bitte Post durchlesen.. Das ist kein Spiel

@Ex Citer: Okay but what shall I do if the entity is in a block?

@all any more suggestions?

TripleX
Posted By: Nicolas_B

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 11:06

Hallo @TripleX

Erst mal: Das wird sicher n cooles Tool.
Und noch ne Frage:
Wirst du das Tool verkaufen? Oder ist es Freeware?

Gruss Imp
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 11:25

Hi Imp, Deine Frage wurde weiter oben schon beantwortet. TripleX will es tatsächlich als Freeware anbieten.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 11:32

Zu wieviel Prozent ist der Editor fertig? (Ich will nicht drängeln, wüsste es nur gerne )
Posted By: Thomas_Nitschke

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 11:57

Donnerwetter, TripleX! Das verschlägt mir jetzt beinahe die Sprache, vor allem weil du das ganze als Geschenk an die Community gedacht hast, also als Freeware! Bleibt mir nur übrig, mich ausfürlich zu bedanken - Tools wie diese sind natürlich gern gesehen und ich kanns kaum erwarten, das hier auszutesten
Vor allem klingt das Konzept ziemlich erweiterbar! Nach dem Forecast soll ja Levelgeometrie nur für Lichter noch kompiliert werden müssen, d.h. man müsste mit dem neuen Update (so es dieses Jahr denn noch kommt ) auch Levelblocks manipulieren können, nur halt ohne Shadowmaps...
Let's see - nich wahr ^^

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 12:10

@tuschcarsten: Nunja.. in gegensatz zu früheren Projekten kann ich hier wirklich kein Release Datum nennen (einfach weil es so extrem viele Bug Möglichkeiten und Feature Möglichkeiten gibt).
Aber das Grundkonzept steht - wie auf den screenshots unschwer zu erkennen ist

mfg
Triple-X

EDIT: if anyone is interested.. the creating code for entities (1500 lines more ) is finished.. Now I'll write the panels for creating entities.. After that I'll implement a better placement for entities.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 15:34

Das near-flag wird sie nicht sichtbar machen wenn sie in Blocks sind. Eine Möglich ist sie als Bildschirmentity so zu rendern als ob sie im Level sind, bis sie endgültig plaziert sind. Möglichkeit zwei wäre... also ich nehme mal an die Entities werden irgendwo vor der Kamera plaziert. Aber besonders bei Indoorgames, also Höhlen und Büros, wo man Kisten, Türen und Pflanzen plazieren will, kann es ja passieren das "es" in der Wand oder im Boden (Pflanzen) verschwindet. Kurzfassung: Entweder nen Trace von der Camera nach vorne, oder einfach model ind er Camera plazieren und ne Kurze Bildschirmmitteilung darüber.
Aber alles im allen sollten das nur vorschläge für Intelligente Editoren sein. Vielleicht fällt dir ja auch noch was besseres ein, was einen Editor effizienter macht indem er mitdenkt (Zb Eine Fläche markieren, also eine Zone per min und max vec eingeben, in der dann in guten Abständen (Model Box?) automatisch viele Entities aus einer Liste plaziert werden (Steine, Pflanzen, Schmutz, etc)... an Decke oder auf Boden... an Decke oder Boden Ausrichten... x units in Boden/decke hineinsetzen... random pan... random tilt&roll (flags)).

EX Citer

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 15:43

Der Vorschlag von ExCiter klingt sehr gut für das Platzieren von Pflanzen und Bäumen, Steinen, Schutt oder ähnlichem. Wenn diese dann automatisch auf den Boden fallen, dann ist das perfekt und spart viel Zeit.

Dieses Projekt klingt äußerst viel versprechend.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 16:41

@Ex Citer Vermutlich werde ich zum platzieren einen Trace nach vorne machen und dann das Entity falls gewünscht (wird Editoroptionen geben) noch am Boden ausrichten. Es gibt eine Default Entfernung zur Kamera (des Models) die man mit dem Mausrad erhöhen/verringern kann.

Ich bin am Moment eh noch am überlegen was die effizienteste Methode wäre Entities zu bewegen..

1) Mausrad nach vorne, Mausbewegungen zur seite (wenn gewünscht mit kollisionserkennung.
2) Mit Pfeilen (eine art Kooardinatensystem um das Model rum... Hier kann man dann die richtung auswählen in das man das Model schieben will)

Noch weitere Vorschläge?

mfg
TripleX

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 17:28

Also ich bewege Objekte die ich Präzise anordnen will in Photoshop gerne mit den Pfeiltasten. Wenn man shfit gedrückt hält wird das Objekt statt um 1 Einheit um 10 verschoben (sollte in allen populären Photoshops funktionieren). Damit hätte man X und Y am einfachsten für den User wäre wahrscheinlich ein Button auf einen Panel um die Z achse statt X auf Pfeil oben unten zu legen. Ein Tastenshortcut für den Button wär natürlich auch gut (strg rechts(?)). Da wär dann aber wieder ein Problem... entweder die Camera müsste sich immer in die richtung des Coordinatensystems drehen (damit X und Y auch vorne und rechts sind). Wenn sie sich allerdings nur dreht verliert den Bearbeitungsraum aus den Augen. Das heißt die Camera müsste sich um den Punkt drehen den man bearbeiten will (dort wo das Objekt plaziert werden würde, also etwas vor der Camera, bzw dort wo das Trace aufhört).

Andere Möglichkeite wäre wenn man das Object mit einem Gabelstabler durch den Raum fahren/fliegen kann Also ein Pacman, Schmetterling, sexy AlienGirl oder nen Raumschiff mit Kran (irgendwas andem man die Bewegungsrichtung erkennt) das den Gegenstand trägt, das man mit den Pfeiltasten und der Maus Steuern kann vorne hinten, strafe (pfeil tasten), rotate pan/tilt (maus) und an die Position fliegt wo es den Gegenstand loslassen (maus rechts gegenstand ohne schwerkraft plazieren) oder fallen lassen kann (maus l, gegenstand mit schwerkraft plazieren). Dann könnte man den Gegenstand noch von dem Raumschiff/Sexy AlienGirl drehen lassen vor dem Plazieren (w,a,s,d,q,e?). Und mit Shift beschleunigte Bewegung und Drehung der Transportentity.
Wenn das Object und die Transportentity erstellt wird hat sie als Ausgangswinkel den Camerawinkel wodurch die Camera so bleiben kann wie sie ist.

EX Citer
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 18:27

That'a a great thing TripleX

And your already done Particle Editor should be in 3DGS SDK as a
standard tool for any 3DG users.
Why isn't it the case ?

But your editor will be also another groundbreaking tool
Posted By: fogman

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 18:31

Also erstmal Respekt, geniale Arbeit...
Mir steht´s Maul offen !

Die Entities mit einem System wie im Beta-WED oder 3D-MAX auszurichten halte ich
für gut. Also drei Pfeile vom Mittelpunkt weg die auf den Achsen liegen.

Dazu dann per Shortcut umschalten auf Bewegen, Rotieren oder Skalieren.
Posted By: Nems

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/20/05 23:05

Great to seee this underway TripleX, was beginning to wonder about it.
Have been wanting something like this for 3 years now as it would smooth out development and speed up prototyping no end.
Hope to be able to use it real soon.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/21/05 16:34

Okay I'm happy to say, that after hard work the dynamically creating and removing entity/sprite/map entity function is finished.

Now I'll work on the object navigator (already programmed an file navigator, with that you're able to search the entity you want to create) and on the possibility to change the action of an entity in runtime.
Thanks for your kind words.

Any more suggestions?

TripleX

PS: Atm 9606 lines and 368640 characters.. much more too come

EDIT: Btw this Editor will only be available for commercial and pro version. Because I use a lot of materials.

Maybe I'll make the plugin accessaable for Extra Edition (IFDEF version) with less features, but I don't see a chance for the Standard Edition, Sorry
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/21/05 16:45

Quote:

Ich bin am Moment eh noch am überlegen was die effizienteste Methode wäre Entities zu bewegen..

vielleicht mit transform widgets? ich hab das vor ein paar monaten mal ausprobiert. -> editor~1.2mb (ich hatte auch schon eine version mit rotate und scale widgets, aber die finde ich im moment nicht. das soll(te) mal ein physikeditor werden...)

rechte maustaste - kamera rotieren
scroll wheel - kamera vor / zurück
linke maustaste - objekt selektieren
w - move modus

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/21/05 16:54

Exakt so hatte ich es geplant Gut jetzt hab ich was, was ich genau nach programmieren kann.. Programmieren mit Vorlage..

Sag mal wie hast du die Boundingbox per Script nachgefahren? Falls ja kannst du mir da vll. den Script mal per PM schicken? Wäre super weil ich das im moment nicht ganz hinbekomme

mfg
TripleX

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/21/05 17:10

Code:

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------line
function boldline3d(&_start, &_end, &_color, _alpha)
{
var _s[3];
var _e[3];
vec_set(_s, _start);
vec_set(_e, _end);
vec_to_screen(_s, camera);
vec_to_screen(_e, camera);

// todo: clipping algorithm?

if (_s.z > camera.clip_near && _e.z > camera.clip_near) // if there is no distortion
{
// bold line 3x3
draw_line(_s, null, _alpha);
draw_line(_s, _color, _alpha);
draw_line(_e, _color, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_s.x+1, _s.y+1, 0), null, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_e.x+1, _e.y+1, 0), _color, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_s.x-1, _s.y-1, 0), null, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_e.x-1, _e.y-1, 0), _color, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_s.x+1, _s.y-1, 0), null, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_e.x+1, _e.y-1, 0), _color, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_s.x-1, _s.y+1, 0), null, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_e.x-1, _e.y+1, 0), _color, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_s.x, _s.y+1, 0), null, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_e.x, _e.y+1, 0), _color, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_s.x, _s.y-1, 0), null, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_e.x, _e.y-1, 0), _color, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_s.x+1, _s.y, 0), null, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_e.x+1, _e.y, 0), _color, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_s.x-1, _s.y, 0), null, _alpha);
draw_line(vector(_e.x-1, _e.y, 0), _color, _alpha);
}
}

function line3d(&_start, &_end, &_color, _alpha)
{
var _s[3];
var _e[3];
vec_set(_s, _start);
vec_set(_e, _end);
vec_to_screen(_s, camera);
vec_to_screen(_e, camera);

// todo: clipping algorithm?

if (_s.z > camera.clip_near && _e.z > camera.clip_near) // if there is no distortion
{
draw_line(_s, null, _alpha);
draw_line(_s, _color, _alpha);
draw_line(_e, _color, _alpha);
}
}

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------box
var p1[3];
var p2[3];
var p3[3];
var p4[3];
var p5[3];
var p6[3];
var p7[3];
var p8[3];
function drawbox(_entity, &_color, _alpha)
{
you = _entity;
vec_set(p1, vector(you.min_x, you.min_y, you.min_z));
vec_set(p2, vector(you.min_x, you.max_y, you.min_z));
vec_set(p3, vector(you.max_x, you.max_y, you.min_z));
vec_set(p4, vector(you.max_x, you.min_y, you.min_z));
vec_set(p5, vector(you.min_x, you.min_y, you.max_z));
vec_set(p6, vector(you.min_x, you.max_y, you.max_z));
vec_set(p7, vector(you.max_x, you.max_y, you.max_z));
vec_set(p8, vector(you.max_x, you.min_y, you.max_z));
vec_rotate(p1, you.pan); vec_add(p1, you.x);
vec_rotate(p2, you.pan); vec_add(p2, you.x);
vec_rotate(p3, you.pan); vec_add(p3, you.x);
vec_rotate(p4, you.pan); vec_add(p4, you.x);
vec_rotate(p5, you.pan); vec_add(p5, you.x);
vec_rotate(p6, you.pan); vec_add(p6, you.x);
vec_rotate(p7, you.pan); vec_add(p7, you.x);
vec_rotate(p8, you.pan); vec_add(p8, you.x);
line3d(p1, p2, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p2, p3, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p3, p4, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p4, p1, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p1, p5, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p2, p6, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p3, p7, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p4, p8, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p5, p6, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p6, p7, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p7, p8, _color, _alpha);
line3d(p8, p5, _color, _alpha);
}

ich habe draw_line zum zeichnen von 3d linien ohne z-buffering missbraucht. man sollte besser mal eine kleine dll mit verschiedenen draw funktionen schreiben, aber ich kenn mich mit direct3d nicht aus.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/21/05 17:31

Okay vielen Dank.. kommst auf jeden fall in die credits

Ich werd den Code nicht ganz übernehmen aber doch halbwegs

mfg
Triple-X

EDIT:

*daumen hoch*
Wichtig ist, dass du nicht vergisst davor mit c_setminmax bzw c_updatehull die min/max werte zu berechnen.
Hab noch hinzugefügt, dass einzelne Linien nicht gezeichnet werden, falls Sie von Panels verdeckt sind (sonst würden Sie die Panels übermalen).

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/21/05 21:05

puhh after a long programming day (+8 hours programming.. holidays and my friends are not here.. i go on wendsday) and the 1000ths removed bug the "changing action" and removing&creating entity action is finally finished (I hope so )

Really a bit strange that i have to remove and recreate a model in the wmp file to change the action.. but okay.. I don't want to complain

Tomorrow I'll implement the Move System of objects (like in ventilators example) and than lets see

TripleX

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/22/05 08:48

You are doing a great job!
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/22/05 08:55

Does your map-editor deforme terrain?

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/22/05 08:55

looks very nice! you are really on it

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/22/05 09:11

Hey..

I have a small request.. I'm really to dumb to model an arrow.. *winining*
Can someone of you model me such an arrow (only a "line" with a cylinder at the top)

thanks a lot
Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/22/05 09:41

I am glad to help:

Download: 3 colored arrow models

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/22/05 09:45

Okay viele Dank

Dann muss ich jetzt nur noch das Problem lösen was ich mache wenn die Pfeile verdeckt sind...

Danke nochmal
TripleX

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/22/05 16:24

kay thanks again

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/22/05 16:45

Good work! May I give a suggestion? Make a base for the arrows also, for us to see if the model is really parallel to the ground, like in this pic: http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc207&image=c48_Editor4.jpg

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/22/05 16:48

Hmm yes okay I'll implement such a base

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/22/05 23:01

I have another idea. Dan suggested something like this a while back
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/sho...true#Post476174

I was thinking it can be done like Paint Shop Pro tubes? Say you create a scene with some rubble -broken bricks- you can create 9 mdl of broken bricks, each a little different and rotated etc. When you finish your level you can go in and 'spray' or 'paint' these mdl's around by a broken wall for example and it would randomly insert any one of these models in this group on the floor. You could also say make sprites or models of pieces of broken glass and spray a few beneath a borken window, or grass sprites and spray/paint a few in a sidewalk crack to have them auto placed.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/23/05 08:12

This idea from bupaje is great but I would suggest following to make it more easy for TripleX:

It don't have to be a paint function. It could be a simple dialog where you enter the entity (or maybe a list of entities), a radius for a circular range, the number of entities and some ramdomize parameters, press enter and the function places randomly some entities.

That could be more easy to implement.
Posted By: hack-panther

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/23/05 08:15

wie wird das ganze denn funktionieren?

muss man das tool wie ein plugin im spiel einbauen oder
muss man die map machen und sie dann abspeichern?

sicher muss man sein level erst laden,
kann es dann editieren und dann abspeichern oder?

das wird sicher voll hammer wenn man alles so bequem ingame verändern kann....

hab ich richtig verstanden das du den EP-editor mit dem Map-Editor "verschmälzen" lassen willst?

bin mal gespannt wann du damit fertig wirst (ich hoffe noch dieses jahr ^^)

Hat der Editor schon einen namen? Easy-Map? *g*

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/23/05 09:20

Quote:

It don't have to be a paint function. It could be a simple dialog where you enter the entity (or maybe a list of entities), a radius for a circular range, the number of entities and some ramdomize parameters, press enter and the function places randomly some entities.

Yes this could be done. I'll think about it. Maybe as Frank said. A Dialog in which you can choose:

- The used Entities (out of a List)
- numbers (how many entities will be setted)
- radius for the circle in which the entities are created
- maybe some parameters like assigned action

After pressing OK you see a cyrcle at the ground (with the given radius) and you if you click the entities are created in this cyrcle.

But please never forget, in a big level such an instruction will take a long time (3-10 seconds).
I have to edit the WMP and the $$M file for every entity.

But you're right. this would be very useful.

@hack-panther: Following steps are neccesary to inset the map editor in your game (at the moment):

1 (without material support).
- include <map_editor.wdl>>;
- Copy the needed files into your directory

2 (with material support)
- include <map_editor.wdl>;
- Copy the needed files into your directory
- Open the created materials.wdl and copy every material into it
- write //matstart over every material definition
/
//matstart
material blubb
)

Sadly it is a bit more complex to insert the mat editor with materials (maybe i can remove the last step). But I think the effort is acceptable.

Quote:

wie wird das ganze denn funktionieren?

(how will it work)

You play, press M freely adjustable) and the Map Editor will open. Maybe I'll implement a small button (if you want to) on which you can click.

The only requirements are: Skill8 and 70 (also adjustable ) of your Entites are reserved by the Editor, you have to do the steps above, and finally you must have >= A6 Extra

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/23/05 15:23

The first screens of the Entity Creating menue. These shots are absolutly WIP shots, the menue design will be overworked completly (for allowing multiple entity selection -> see idea of utillia and frank above).

You can say the map editor where your model files are (maybe over a windows dialog box..atm over a normal inkey box). Now the Editor show you all Files out of this directory. If you click at one you can see a preview in a view below (of course you can rotate/zoom in this view). Over a double click (you can also "pull" the entitiy in your level) the entity is created.

The search function works too

The Entity Navigator is also finished but not showable (the menue design is too bad at the moment )

have a nice day
TripleX

EDIT: Because the problem, where the entities are created. The entities are created at the camera position. After that the camera is moved away and look at the entity. I think this is a good solution.

EDIT2: Terrain Support added.
Posted By: Juppp

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/23/05 23:05

TripleX still has too much time :P

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/23/05 23:10

Quote:

But please never forget, in a big level such an instruction will take a long time (3-10 seconds). ...

Not a problem. I would just add a 'Working...' type indicator and maybe a 'Cancel' if possible in case someone picks too many and gets stuck.

Amazing work TripleX.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/23/05 23:22

Quote:

TripleX still has too much time :P

I'd say!! lol
Go go TripleX, it keeps getting better!

Cheers

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/24/05 07:28

I am so glad about what you have done so far. It is like a birthday present for me

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/24/05 11:22

It's true and shown.. TripleX has many many many very boooring days, i think, and yes, too much time

Looks xtra cool, keep it up TripleX!
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/24/05 13:53

looks awesome man , keep up the good work.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/24/05 19:40

lol

the project will be freezed for the next 2 weeks.
I'm on holidays

have a nice time

TripleX
Posted By: SFMAT4

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/24/05 21:26

Hi all,

I'm creating the GUI of this Map gen tool.
Do anyone need a small Modelpack (would be included in the editor)? Some Barrels, plants, or other Map conten.

best regards
SFMAT4

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/24/05 21:27

Have a great holiday!

How about a wild idea - though maybe not a practical one - for you to think about? If you can see the game in the editor including animations, particles, lights, sounds and all effects then why not create a 'directors panel' of some sort to where you can assign shortcuts to run cameras, effects, sounds or animations you want to turn on and off and add a 'record' option then the product can be used to record cutscenes or even to make Machinma movies.

Example:

Walking>Pass Door>Press button to run door_explosion_effect>Run>Shoot>Press button to run screen_credits .... you are a live producer.
Posted By: wildcard

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 14:48

Hello TripleX,

Can you tell me if there is allready a beta version available for testing/playing around with or is it still to early?

Keep up the good work.

Wildcard
Posted By: beegee

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 15:33

Yess, I need a small modelpack for my track editor. If there are good,
I will credit you.

Mfg,
beegee

--------------------
Genwine Motors / Track Editor

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 15:59

Quote:

Do anyone need a small Modelpack (would be included in the editor)? Some Barrels, plants, or other Map conten.

Hi SFMAT4,

That is a good idea. And it could even be better with a little tutorial that describes the usage of the editor with the help of your models and your level.

Frank

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 18:21

Yes we'll of course write a Tutorial.

Never forget this is a "half Map Editor" so its not that easy to use

@wildcard nope there is no beta available, and i'm aware that there won't be a beta in the next 8 weeks Tough there will be a beta test..

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 19:22

Quote:

Can you tell me if there is allready a beta version available for testing/playing around with or is it still to early?

You have my ICQ number Triple, don't you?!

And keep on working! I would sell my car to get you knowledge - ähm.. or better the one of my girl-friend

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 20:27

o_O your car? kay.. wanna trade?

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 20:39

Lil' bit offtopic but here it is
http://www.astra4ever.net/viewtopic.php?t=18114

Now we should discuss over the committing of the knowledge

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 21:05

nice vec u got there ^^
Posted By: Guardian

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 21:59

What kind of car is that it looks very nice.

Oops sorry off topic.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 22:25

lol enough off-topic

better discuss about models and shaders you really need (that will be included in the editor) (or any other suggestions for the editor ) I'll have a look at them at home

TripleX

PS: hmm Asse... if I think about it.. when do you want to transfer our brains?
Posted By: MatAllum

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/25/05 23:44

Looks awesome... only one complaint. Now I have to buy some new stuff after pouring thirty gallons of drool on everything in the vicinity lol. Not really, but I can't wait to see how this turns out. The preset libraries sound good too. When I finish Performance Monster Racing I will probably make a game like this where this thing will come in handy. Great job, again!

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/26/05 08:54

Quote:

...better discuss about models and shaders you really need (that will be included in the editor) (or any other suggestions for the editor )...

Oh well. I like that topic even much more. What kind of shaders to you plan to insert? It could be very cool to have a good shader library with callbacks so that we could use different kind of Bump-, Normal- and Prallaxmappings depending on the hardware. But I don't have any experiences with shaders and I even do not know how much experiences you or SFMAT4 does have in this field.

You could even contact Rhuarc and create a special version of the editor with a good shader library.

And besides that you could extend the editor for outdoors with the possibility to change terrain in real time and paint with several textures. This version could have some outdoor shaders. But I think this one could even be a later upgrade (may be a commercial one).

And I have another idea: Give the editor for free (may be with a little test shader) but sell a pro edition with a very good shader library. I would pay for the special edition and the other ones that don't want to pay can get the light version.

Frank

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/26/05 14:12

"for outdoors with the possibility to change terrain in real time and paint with several textures"

Because of many requests this is planed. But don't be too sure that it will be available in the first version of the editor.
Maybe I'll do such an Terrain part with the help of oliver2s (who already wrote such a code) because it don't makes much fun to program about 3000 lines of code if such a thing is already progamed ^^. We'll see.

Overall the next big features that are planed are:

- Multiple Entity creation
- Presetting for every Entity in the Creation List (z.B. you can rightclick on Tree1.mdl and change the Flag Transparent to on. Always if you create Tree1.mdl now, this tree will be transparent)
- Map-Properties (The assigned WDL, Ambient, Clip Range, Fog Color etc.)
- Wireframe View: all objects and the map is displayed in wireframe mode
- And Terrain support (deforming / painting)

hmm really hard if you have such a list but can not start to progam :'(
^^

Triple-X
Posted By: FoxZero

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/26/05 17:22

WOW dude!! This is awesome! I've always wanted something like this. I always forget where the proplems are in my levels. I find level designing to be the most boring part of game making. All the compiling and fixing mistakes gets boring fast. This would make thing so much easier for me! If I get bored with the level I could add like five monsters to fight without shutting down the engine. If a need a gun I can add one! I can't wait to try it. This is one of the best ideas ever! Good luck with it!!

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/26/05 21:23

Sounds better every day! Makes me happy that you're planing to include the terrain-feature...but everything else seems to be extremly usefull as well!

Good Luck...and don't you dare to extend your hollydays!

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/27/05 00:39

Man, I realy love everuthing that you have planned, but one think only will make me use and abuse of your editor, "Terrain support (deforming / painting)". My game is 90% made of terrains.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/28/05 20:30

TripleX ,
you should belong to Conitec team
The particle editor is a pro tool that would be in 3DSG SDK.
And your next tool , will be in the same way, great and perhaps
part of 3DGS SDK.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/29/05 06:25

Quote:

TripleX ,
part of 3DGS SDK.

I've been thinking the same. Why isn't he at Conitec's Team He's so pr0 ^^

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/29/05 11:12

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TripleX ,
part of 3DGS SDK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been thinking the same. Why isn't he at Conitec's Team He's so pr0 ^^

Don't say that!!!!! Do you want him to finish the map editor after onde year?

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 08/30/05 10:15

I would like some kind of in editor measurement. To measure walls, windows, doors, basic distance, feet, inches, cm, like a ruler or measuring tape.

This sounds a bit silly but I think it would be useful.

Guardian

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/01/05 10:23

Hmm yes maybe I'll implement a small measurement window (measur distance betweean 2 points)

I'll think over it... Atm I only have some Interface-place problems

Added realtime Model Deforming/Painting to To-Do list (Painting on a 2D Texture. I don't know a way to realize Body-Paint)

Will be without internet for the next 6 days.

Triple-X
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/01/05 11:06

Quote:

Hmm yes maybe I'll implement a small measurement window (measur distance betweean 2 points)

Units in quants would probably be best, but perhaps meters, feet, etc for those who want it. This is looking great. Keep us posted.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/01/05 18:25

You know what would be useful for texture work? The ability to select a particular face on a block and either show it alone in a window straight on or save a texture -sort of like how skins work in MED- when you have to paint a custom texture for an odd shaped block or series of blocks making a curve for example. Right now sometimes it is hard to get at a particular block or group of blocks and line it up just right in WED so I can save a screenshot, take it into PSP, resize it to the nearest texture size and then paint the texture and reapply it to that block or group, line it up to test it etc. So the ability to select, zoom camera so that one face or group fills the window, save screenshot would be cool. I could then place a quick texture, take a screenshot again and paint any changes right on this to get it to match perfectly with the geometry.

EDIT: Just as an example look at this example by OrangeBrat.

http://www.geocities.com/hainesrs/building6.jpg

If I want to find the small decorative block over the door in the WED window, or the sides of the octagonal blocks that make up the sign, to paint a special texture it is hard to get a straight view of those sides without lots of camera work and hiding stuff.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/02/05 08:51

Quote:

@Sandras Bitte Post durchlesen.. Das ist kein Spiel

@Ex Citer: Okay but what shall I do if the entity is in a block?

@all any more suggestions?

TripleX

Danke aber wenn ihr nich nur Englisch schreiben würdet könnte ich es auch lesen
ich spreche nur deutsch
was es auch ist es gefällt mir

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/02/05 21:46

TripleX arbeitet an einem Ingame-Map-und-Material-Editor.

Ein Tip: lerne Englisch, ist echt hilfreich!

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 11:41

Danke für den Tip aber die unterhaltung hatte ich schon ich kann kein ENGLISCCHHH
und es ist mir zu aufwendig es noch zu Lernen
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 11:48

Quote:

Danke für den Tip aber die unterhaltung hatte ich schon ich kann kein ENGLISCCHHH
und es ist mir zu aufwendig es noch zu Lernen

dann bist du hier eindeutig am falschen platz

sorry, ist aber so. englisch ist eine weltsprache, wer kein englisch kann hat wenig chancen auf jobs und so weiter. Ich emphele es das du englisch lernst, nicht nur des forums wegen sondern auch wegen deiner beruflichen zukunft.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 12:42

Danke

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 14:01

Und es ist auch gar nicht so Schwehr.
Ich kann dir Garantieren, Französisch ist viel
Schwerer. Leider ist das In der Schweiz Obligatorisch
Aber Seit ich Englisch hab in der Schule kann ich schon einiges im Forum Lesen

Gruss Imp
(Zum Level Editor. Sieht immer Geiler aus. Weiter so)

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 14:10

Hatte in Englisch eine 5 super nicht!!! ich müße von 0 Anfangen und darzu fehlt mir einfach der nerv ich hatte mich nartürlich besser angestrengt wenn ich gewust hätte das ich Spiele Programieren als mein hobby Ausüben werde na ja so kann es gehen wenn mann sich nicht anstrengt
Posted By: JeyKey II

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 14:42

Quote:

Hatte in Englisch eine 5 super nicht!!! ich müße von 0 Anfangen und darzu fehlt mir einfach der nerv ich hatte mich nartürlich besser angestrengt wenn ich gewust hätte das ich Spiele Programieren als mein hobby Ausüben werde na ja so kann es gehen wenn mann sich nicht anstrengt

Desshalb, an alle die noch zur Schule gehen:
Auch wenn ihr gewisse Dinge, die ihr im Moment lernen müsst, als Schrott betrachte, irgendmal im Leben könnt ihr es mal gebrauchen. Wie oft wurde hier im Forum schon gesagt "Hätte ich doch besser in Mathe und Geometrie aufgepasst". Tja auch das kann man in Spielentwicklung brauchen.

Meine Lebenserfahrung bisher:
Alles was ich je lernen "musste", konnte ich irgendeinmal im Leben gebrauchen.
und war im Nachhinein froh, es jemals lernen "durfte".

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 14:50

Du hast recht.
Hät ich mer gebüffelt in der Primarschule wär ich jetzt im Gimi.
Aber Sek B is ja auch ganz recht
Ein Kumpel von mir hatte nie fürs zeug geübt. Was is passiert. Ind der Fünften ne 3 in der Sechsten ne 2-. Jetzt ist er in der Werkschule.
Da hat man ja echt keine Changsen im Leben wen man nicht mal richtig Mathe und Deutsch kann...

Ach ja. Für die dies nicht wissen. In der SChweiz ist das Gesammte Notensystem umgekehrt. Also ne Drei ist ne (ähhm) 4 und ne 2- ne 5- (Glaub ich)
Posted By: JeyKey II

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 14:59

Ja, das Notensystem ist genau umgekehrt. So wie die Engländer die Schrauben heute noch nach links anziehen.
Gut Glück, einheitliches Europa.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 15:11

Das mit den Autos ist auch völlig doof.
(Obwol die Briten dan alle verkehrszeichen, Spiegel, Ampeln und und und umplazieren müssten)
Ich weiss auch nicht wieso die verschiedenen Schulen immer andere Ferienpläne haben. Ich bin mal wo gewohnt, an dem Ort hatte es zwei Primarschulen. Ein kumpel ging in die eine ich in die andere. Die Ferien Pläne wahren fölig unterschiedlich. Also in einem Dorf zwei unterschiedliche Ferienpläne.
(Einfach dumm)

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 15:14

könnten wir zurück back topic kommen? :P

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/03/05 15:20

@ Triple: Don't know if you're interested but in my model-painting program I use different blend-modes like the ones in Photoshop (Screen, color dodge and so on).

Maybe you could need my code for this - but I doubt that you really need it, don't you?!

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/07/05 08:33

okay at home again

Implemented an Undo/Redo System and removed a bug in the "Delete Entity System" in the last 2 hours. With this system you'll be able to undo/redo over 100 steps (moving&rotating&scaling&changing skills/flags of object / select - reselect object and much more).
If it's possible I'll also try to include undo/redo for deleting/creating objects. I'll have a look at it.

Maybe I'll even add a journal view (like in Photoshop) if anybody thinks such a feature would be needful.
(sth. like that:

You see all Steps (in my case 100-500) listend and can jump back / foreward to one specific step if you want to.)

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/07/05 16:17

WIP Shot of the Map-Settings Window

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/07/05 17:52

Sieht sehr gut aus, aber ich hab ein paar Fragen:

1. Kann man den Dialog bewegen, weil ich oben nichts zum "greifen" sehe?

2. Kommen noch mehr Settings weil unten soviel Platz ist?

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/07/05 19:25

Yeap, that would be great.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/07/05 23:34

This looks really awesome triple x. Can't wait till it comes out
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/08/05 00:08

Yea same here. A damn good idea. Cant wait to see it in action. Should save tons and tons of time. Great work.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/08/05 06:51

Quote:

1. Kann man den Dialog bewegen, weil ich oben nichts zum "greifen" sehe?

2. Kommen noch mehr Settings weil unten soviel Platz ist?

1) Yes you can move the dialog. Only click at it everywhere (not on the buttons) in the image where you want to.

2) Maybe I'll also implement the other 3 fog colors... But I always have a little bit too much place.. Simply because if I want to implement some new features i don't always have to start a big clear-action in the menue design

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/08/05 06:54

Then you're cleverer than me

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/10/05 13:51

One of the next important features makes big steps to the finish

With the multiselection Tool, you can select more that one Entity in the two Object lists (Object File List - lists all Objects out of a specific folder. Out of this list you can create objects dynamicly;;; Object Navigator List - A list showing all objects of the level sorted by materialname/wedname/filename) and assign them specific settings (example: Change the action for all entities with the filename barrel.mdl; Change the material of 10 different entities at the same time etc. etc.).

At the moment I'm developing the multiselection Tool in the File List. If you richtclick on one of the selected files you can change the settings with which they are created (e.g. you want to create the file "tree2.mdl" always with the material "tree2" assigned). These informations are saved in files, so you can restart your game as often you want. The informations are kept
The next logical improvement step is the multiple creating ("painting of entities on ground") of entities.

Much words one image:
(the multiselection tool works exactly as in windows. You can select multiple entities with [SHIFT] or [CTRL] ! Not everything you see in this screen is already working because its very complex, but the basic concept is standing!)

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/10/05 15:02

Realy nice!!! I am loving this. And I can't wait to put my hands on it.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/14/05 21:20

Finished the multi-selection system after a lot of work (more than 20K lines now ). I'm working on the implementing of the multi-selection system for the Entity-Navigator List atm. Will be much easier because the most things will be copy&paste.

After that I'll programm the multi-creating of Entities and a statistics window.

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/15/05 08:48

That will be very handy.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/15/05 09:15

Wow. Dein Leveleditor wird immer besser
Respect!
Posted By: jtbullet

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/15/05 17:20

Maybe this has been addressed, or is completely out of place here, but since it seems to be a material issue, ill try here. What I understand normal mapping to be is:
a bump map generated from a high poly model, in zbrush or something like that, which is then to be applied to a low poly model at render time(like in an engine).
If this is true, then woudl you be able to simply select a model, and then navigate to a normal map to be applied, and let the engine do the rest?
Thanks and sorry im so new.
Jarrett

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/19/05 15:29

added Copying entities, move modes for the arrows (scaling/rotating/moving), collision actiavtion while moving and almost finished the mass changes for entities.
But I have not much time atm (school, friends and a game project ) but of course I'll work on
One another good news.. The entity creating/changing (main part of the editor) is stable now.. Haven't got a crash in this part for the last week

Maybe I'll also implement some Physics Features and/or SkyBox Features.. But probably not in the first release.

@jtbullet Sory better write such posts in the shader forum and before read some c-script Tutorials.

Triple-X

PS: BTW before anyone mentioned it. This editor and IceX2 (or Oliver and I) are no rivals. This editor is for Ingame Editing, and changing parts of a Level - especially balancing and so on, but NOT for creating whole new levels. Olvers IceX 2 is for designing full new OUTDOOR levels. Not for changing entity skills etc. at runtime.
But of course from the build up 30% of the scripts are the same so we sometimes exchange some scripts for getting faster a better result

PS2: Btw.. The Name of the Editor is GameEdit
Posted By: oliver2s

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/19/05 18:26

Quote:

PS2: Btw.. The Name of the Editor is GameEdit

Why not name it EasyGameEdit

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/19/05 18:37

WOW
I think this will become a very very owerful tool

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/20/05 20:34

For you both, TripleX and Oliver2s, I just have to say this:
Thank you!!!

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/30/05 15:43

Totaly reprogramed the Material Loader function in the less time I was here in the last days. Now you wont have to create an own wdl for your materials, change much in your script etc... Now the following lines will be enough:

Material_Init("Maps"); //"Maps" is the subfolder ("" if mainfolder) where your Map files are
Material_Bind_WDL("Data\\Scripts\\materials.wdl"); //loads all materials out of the materials.wdl
Material_BIND_WDL("mainpart.wdl"); //loads all materials out of mainpart.wdl
//maximum of 40 binded wdl files

All WDL files won't be changed besides the material defitions itself (the values in the mat definition).

Triple-X

PS: Addionally I added an option to change the standard and block materials..

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/30/05 15:48

This comes very handy and userfriendly. Good Work
Posted By: gamemakerdude

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 09/30/05 19:44

so basically its wed ingame.......pretty cool idea
Posted By: Carloos

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/05/05 01:44

And...

Just need to say that your levels look very realistic.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/09/05 18:10

After a small programming pause i've implemted the multi-entity creation idea from frank and bupaje.. Generally you can change 3 settings. The number of the Entities which are created, the radius and finaly which entities. Tough with the Entity list also all settings (like barrel2.mdl has shadow activated) you've defined in these list are also used for the multi creation.

So for example the Multi-Creation tool can create 10 Barrels (barrel1.mdl) with shadow and 5 Barrels (Barrel2.mdl) without shadow.

Because some users also wanted to have a random parameter for each model I also implemented that idea.. Every Entity has a number which indicates how much per cent of the total amount of created models will be this specific model. If anyone is intrested here is the formula, that indicates how much "clones" of an specific model is created:

Number of Clones = (((Per-Centage Value of the specific Model * 100)/ All Percentage Values add together)/100 * Number indicating how much entities will be created at all)

At the end as alaways a screenshot:

suggestions and critizim as always welcome.

Planed features (to be programed in the next 2 weeks)
- "real" multi-selection. You wont only have a list where you can "multiselect" your entities but you can also select more than 1 entity in the main model window
- Model Editing (Painting on Skin and deforming)

The main problem is that i could implement unlimited features (particle editor, physics editor etc. etc.) but I wont be able to implementet all of these things.. We'll see what features will make it into the finished first version..

Triple-X

PS: I hope oliver foregives me the model theft

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/09/05 18:21

Quote:

PS: I hope oliver foregives me the model theft

Hehe, no problem

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/10/05 09:17

Can you randomly scale the models? I think about using this tool for stones, grass or bushes that could have different sizes.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/10/05 10:37

Yes I could implement a randomize parameter.
I'll think how this would be possible (There would have to be a max and min value which is difficult to implement.
Posted By: FRAJO

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/10/05 13:48

[scale=Min+random(abs(Max-Min));]

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/10/05 15:45

thats not the point. In fact the scripting problems are rarly.. But anyway..thanks
The point is how I could implementet it into the interface (I don't want to implement an Max/Min parameter for every value..But maybe I'll implement a "Random Radius" for every part (e.g. scale_x/y/z ; pan/tilt/roll). For example you have scale_x = 1; and scale_radius = 10. Than the scale (x/y and z) would be set from 1-11))
I'll think about it.

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/10/05 21:21

Amazing TripleX. Will be a very useful feature.
Posted By: Hampe

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/11/05 14:38

You level looks so ralistisk should the level go with it so we could test in it as a test level fore the features
Posted By: jumpman

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/11/05 20:10

it looks damn amazing so far triple, I wouldnt worry about implementing physics and particles, what you have is more than enough for a first run.

Keep up the good work!

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/13/05 14:47

Working on the multi-selection..Generally you can select many entities (upto 1024) at the same time by clicking with the mouse and key_ctrl (like in windows). You can now change all the settings you can change with one single entity (flags / skills / material / model etc. etc.).
A WIP Shot:

Remarks:
1) The outgrayed flags means, that these settings are different (e.g. Model 1 has shadow activated, model 2 not).
2) The Filename / Entname etc. section will be reworked. Here you will be able to click onto a Combo Box list with that you can 1) see all marked entities, 2) select a specific entitiy out of the selection (e.g. all models with filename model1.mdl, or the model with the entname model_10_20).

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/13/05 15:03

I can imagine that these multiple selection thing raises alot of problems. What if you want to raise all objects only a few quants? And something like that. Is that possible with dragging the colored arrows?

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/13/05 15:06

If you want to move all objects you can move them via the 3 arrows, yes

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/13/05 15:13

Can you also rotate via the arrows? In Torque you press the ALT-key while dragging the mouse and it rotates. Without the ALT-key it will move. With ALT and STRG it will resize the objects.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/13/05 18:58

yes you can rotate and scale the objects with the arrows!
(key settings:

no keys = normal movement
alt = rotating
alt + ctrl = scaling
ctrl = moving with collision )
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/13/05 20:16

I have to admit, that I followed that thread only roughly, but it does look great.
It surely was not easy to set it up.

It's.. cool.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/14/05 08:23

That's perfect. It's the same key configuration like in Torque. Is that just by chance or where did you get this idea?

I am really looking forward to your tool no matter what it will cost
Posted By: Otsego

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/14/05 12:43

This looks like an excellent editor, TripleX!
I have a question referring to invisible objects:
Will it be possible to make objects visble for the camera, which have set their invisible flag to on?
I don't know if this question was posted before, but i have no time to look through all the pages, sorry.
Posted By: TS

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/14/05 19:23

Wow,I never seen anything like that!! Great Work!

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/16/05 17:58

@Frank_G I used the key configuration out of your post.. I have no clue about the standard key config in modeling programs

@Otsego: Sorry I can't understand the question.. Better write it in german :-)

Triple-X
Posted By: Bilbo

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/16/05 18:07

i think he means that if an object is set to invisible will you be able to see it in your program in order to change its possition =)

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/16/05 18:29

hmm.. You can click at the invisible postion than it will be marked as every other entity.
You can also mark the entity in the object navigator list..

I'll think over other solutions.

Triple-X
Posted By: Hampe

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 10/17/05 15:29

I think you should make invisible objekts half invesivble. So you could see the difrent between them.

You are doning a realy great job

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 10/17/05 15:33

Hey

[EDIT]
Quote:

I think you should make invisible objekts half invesivble. So you could see the difrent between them.

But than where is the difference between an entity with 50 Alpha and transparent switched to on and an invisible object?

a small Poll about the map-Editor:
expected profesional features:
- extended material editor
- multi-entity editing / creating
- terrain and model editing

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 10/17/05 19:20

Put a solid * (star) to an invisible object and make the invisible entity 50% transparent.(draw_text("*",entity.max_x,max_y,_max_z,...) oder so ähnlich)
Posted By: Gho5tFac3K1llah

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 10/22/05 15:23

When is the expected release date? This editor looks auesome and would be easier to edit your levels with. Good luck TripleX!

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 10/22/05 17:50

Expected Release Date: When its done..
Maybe there will be a big changing in the release in the near futur.. If everything goes the correct way, you will be surprised

Next big feature will be the total rework of the Design elements to an innovative and fast GUI.

Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor - Feature List - 10/29/05 10:50

No screenshots but the complete feature list.. I don't think there will be another Big feature but of course I'll thnik over new feature wishes.
All big features (of course every big features has subpoints (like the point browser has the subpoints Entity Browser and Creation Browser):

- Material Editor (features like edit, create and delete)
- Model Editor (features like edit settings, create, delete, morph and much moer)
- Light Editor (create new lights in the world, edit, light for material testing)
- Terrain Editor (features like painting and deforming)
- Protocol (everything you've done is listened here and can be made undone - like in photoshop)
- Browser (entity navigation browser with allowed multi-editing, file browser with allowed multi-creation and pre-settings)
- Optimizer (Map-Optimizer, Statistics with Graphs and much more)
- Map Settings (assigned Script file, ambient, general Map-Effects and much more)
- HUD-Editor (Edit Panel positions etc.)
- Particle Editor (create new particle effects, maybe change old ones.. only general settings like red,green blue etc.)
- Script-Controller (containing features like: watch variables and strings, change the values of variables, strings, arrays etc. )

suggestions and commtents are welcome
Triple-X

PS: I hope you accept that the development will take a long time (maybe around 3-4 months?) until the finish.. Because of the many features..And I hope you accept that you probably wont get this editor for free (for what price will rely to some factors.. more infos in the futur)

Re: Map-Editor - Feature List - 10/29/05 11:39

3 - 4 months? I think that there is a virus walk around here. First, Conitec had it. More than 10 months. Now, TripleX got it also.:(

Man, I am just kidding. Of course that we will wait. And we will pay the price also, unless Conitec release all these features with A6.
Keep the good work!
Posted By: GS_Raphael

Re: Map-Editor - Feature List - 10/30/05 12:04

sorry ich hab mir nicht den ganzen thread durchgelesen..-. also falls ich irgendwas wiederholen sollte... :

kann ,man mit dem (beiläufig unglaublich eindrucksvollen) map editor auch levelblöcke erstellen oder ist er *nur* dazu gedacht, vorhandene levelgeometrien mit "leben" (models, materials, effekte usw...) zu füllen?
eine der größten mankos des 3dgs besteht nämlich meiner meinung nach in der doch sehr mangelhaft zu bearbeitenden levelgeometrie... man wird es einfach nicht schaffen, einen schönen runden tunnelgang mit kurven zu machen, ohne auf furchtbare kanten zu stoßen... (was mit dem editor zu unreal 2 zb schon super möglich war)
ansonsten find ichs super, was du da machst, auch wenn ich bei summen über 10-20 euro einfach nicht mehr so bezahlfreudig wär, da man ja für dads 3dgs schon so verdammt viel geblecht hat - ich bin musiker, dass bedeutet ich bin arm

Re: Map-Editor - Feature List - 10/30/05 13:02

Also ich kann das natürlich nicht so genau wie Triple beantworten, aber meines Wissens, ist es weitaus schwieriger, die Levelgeometrie zu ändern, zumal die ja auch kompiliert werden müssten, Schattenmaps berechnet usw. Ich bin nicht sicher, ob es dafür Schnittstellen im SDK gibt. Vermutlich nicht.

Ich finde allein das Setzen und Ändern von Modellen spart soviel Zeit, wenn man wirklich Level und Spiele erstellt, dass es weitaus mehr als nur 20 Euro wert wäre (aber das ist meine Meinung als jemand, der so ein Tool dringend braucht und damit effektiv Zeit und Geld sparen wird).

Viele Grüße,
Frank

Re: Map-Editor - Feature List - 10/30/05 13:32

1) Das erschaffen von Level-Geometrie wäre möglich ist aber noch nicht geplant - Mal sehen...
2) Das Preis-Managment wird n bisal anders ablaufen.. Wirst hoffe ich keine 10-20€ zahlen müssen.. Dazu in ca. einem Monat mehr.

mfg
Triple-X

Re: Map-Editor - Feature List - 10/30/05 18:40

Hello,

I want to go a new way with creating a new GUI for Gameedit by design a new navigation concept.
The menue items are connected eachother in two main categories. Once you have clicked on a Symbol a tool-section will be opened. The clearly arranged tool section is realised by the connection of the tools with lines to the items. An other click of a tool will open the properties window for detailed settings. You can also deactivate the auto opening of the properties window. (The window is connected with a line too). My question: Do you think the concept is intuitional, concise and creative?

Best regards
SF

Re: Map-Editor - Feature List - 10/31/05 12:55

Quote:

Do you think the concept is intuitional, concise and creative?

creative? Absolutely, yes! And it looks beautiful!

concise? Yes.

intuitional? I suppose that you will create unique images for the buttons. Then it takes a few trials to learn their meaning and it will work.

Re: Map-Editor - Feature List - 10/31/05 14:42

Reminds me of Alias Sketchbook, which I like very much for its ease of use. Good luck with this hope it works out.

Guardian

Re: Map-Editor - Feature List - 11/01/05 22:55

Hi TripleX, here are a couple of things I have thought of that would be nice to have in your editor. First I would like more Artistic control over plants vegetation, (sprite object placement), and terrain painting. Say you had an old rotting log you wanted to paint in editor and then cover with moss and fern sprites. Here is a list of attributes for such.

If this was in a form of a paintbrush or airbrush with the following features associated. I guess this sounds like a sprayable grass follow script plus a bit.

1) Gravity for sprites and objects 2) distance fading 3) make resident or follow player 4) follow player for specified distance 5) make panted scene in all directions 6) objects have AI know which level or what model they belong to 7) plant models or sprites know what terrain they are over and will not propagate on roads for example

2) At some future date you might consider adding model and other formats to your editor to make it more marketable. I've seen some converters for various model types etc.

3) Better control over camera position and movement than other exterior editors.

Just my thoughts. I'm not sure if this is useful or coherent but I hope it helps the outdoor level editor part.

Guardian

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 11/03/05 06:26

I' wasn't looking these threads for time :/
Hoping you'll get me special edition so But can you post _again_ full function list you can do in the editor?

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 11/03/05 11:52

@Guardian: What do you mean with better control over camera position and movement? Collision Detection?

@Inestical:

- Material Editor (features like edit, create and delete)
- Model Editor (features like edit settings, create, delete, morph and much moer)
- Light Editor (create new lights in the world, edit, light for material testing)
- Terrain Editor (features like painting and deforming)
- Protocol (everything you've done is listened here and can be made undone - like in photoshop)
- Browser (entity navigation browser with allowed multi-editing, file browser with allowed multi-creation and pre-settings)
- Optimizer (Map-Optimizer, Statistics with Graphs and much more)
- Map Settings (assigned Script file, ambient, general Map-Effects and much more)
- HUD-Editor (Edit Panel positions etc.)
- Particle Editor (create new particle effects, maybe change old ones.. only general settings like red,green blue etc.)
- Script-Controller (containing features like: watch variables and strings, change the values of variables, strings, arrays etc. )

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 11/03/05 15:45

Hi Triplex, I don't know how camera position works in your editor but in most of the 3dgs created editors I have used including my own camera positioning was a real problem. I can think of one editor that had a good intuitive camera system. That is control over the view in editor. I think a good system especially for outside levels would be very useful.

I hope that explains what I meant I'll try to find the name of the editor I mentioned above that had a nice in editor camera.

Guardian

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 11/04/05 08:21

@TripleX: Thanks! hmm.. I have to dl at least the free version!

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 11/05/05 11:59

what do you think would be better: A pure WED Interface (exactly the same interface as in WED if you've maximized the 3D-Screen) or the Interface mentioned above?
Posted By: ulf

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 11/05/05 12:37

wed - for the simple reason most users are familiar with it.

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 11/05/05 12:43

I would like an interface like the mentioned above. New features, new face.

EDITED: I change my mind. I choose the option that is more fast to make. And I think that everyone will agree with me.

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 11/20/05 11:35

new GUI Screen

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 11/20/05 12:04

dont like it...

Re: Map-Editor - Poll - 11/20/05 14:48

Love it..but change the colors if you are not intending to atract new female users...(woahhh...what kind of man am I, having such ugly prejudices...after all, pink is a nice color...but for a game-editor interface???...Jamie, please don't hit me )

Game-Edit - 11/20/05 16:28

@Michael wow very constructive post Altough it isn't very probably that I'll change the whole design again (we wont implement the WED design, because of some important reasons), please say what you don't like.. (btw the most important thing behind this GUI-Screen is not the whole looking, but the structure (who you can access important features).

@Loopix: Yes maybe we'll use another color sheme.. This could be easily changed. Maybe only simple black / white?

thanks
Triple-X
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Game-Edit - 11/20/05 17:39

@TripleX

Post in german for better understanding:

Je nach Texturauflösung und -skalierung hat man ja öfters bei Schatten diesen Treppeneffekt auf den Texturen. Wie wäre es, wenn man eine Art Light-Subdivision Modifizierer hinzufügt? Das heißt: eine Lichtquelle wir einer Spähre ähnlich durch, sagen wir, 8 Lichter ersetzt, die dann die gleiche Farbe haben aber jeweils nur 1/8 der Lichtintensität des Ursprungslichtes und der Abstand zum Ursprung ist natürlich auch größer. Dadurch wird das Punktlicht zu einer Art Volumenlicht und so entsteht quasi ein Antialiasing für Schatten. Zwar muss dann der Compiler je nach Duplizierung 4 bis 8 mal solange rechnen, aber das Ergebnis lohnt sich! Testet es mal selbst aus... es funktioniert. Dann könnte der User quasi alle Lichter, oder ein Licht, selektieren und dann über einen Subdivision-Button das Licht aufsplitten.

MfG - HeelX

Re: Game-Edit - 11/20/05 17:44

@HeelX: Das Problem dahinter ist, dass ich dies zwar durchaus anbieten könnte, nur dummerweise würde man dies nicht in Echtzeit, bzw. erst nach neubuilden und neuladen, sehen. Ich werde allerdings darüber nachdenken. Kannst vll. mal Bilder aus WED mit dem 8 Lichtern zeigen?

Meinst du also in etwa so:
Code:

(X = Licht, A = Sublichter)Dies ist die normale Variante)
\ | /
X
/ | \

(andere variante -Ansicht von der Seite)
A A
A <- Mittelpunkt
A A

und von oben genauso:

A A
A <- Mittelpunkt
A A

Also Plantenbahnmäßig ( Sonne = Mittelpunkt, Rest = Planten auf Kreisbahn ;) ) angeordnet?

//alle um 1/8 schwächer und ca. Lichtradius / 8 von dem ursprung entfernt

Dies würde doch zu problemen führen mit der Lichtintensität, da die lichter nicht mehr gleichlang scheinen würden oder?

English:

A new WIP shot:

Triple-X

Re: Game-Edit - 11/20/05 19:14

Natürlich kann ich mal nen Screenshot machen:

Zwar habe ich das Bild verkleinert, man sieht aber alles Notwendige: oben ist die 1-Licht Variante, die Settings habe ich auch abgebildet und das Lightmap Resultat in der Engine.

Unten habe ich dann Orbital Lichter hinzugefügt und die Lichtintensität auf 1/8 des Originalwertes gesetzt (eigentlich müsste es 1/7, aber egal). Der Abstand der Lichter vom Ursprungslicht sollte variabel sein, bei mir sind es 16 Quants. Je weiter man den Radius verändert, desto klarere Schattenbilder hat man von den Orbitallichtern, also, das ist ja nicht beabsichtigt.

Natürlich hätte man nicht die Möglichkeit, die Lightmaps ingame zu sehen, weil die Lightmaps ja berechnet werden müssen. Aber theoretisch müsste der User ja sowieso die Entities updaten, also auch den Compiler benutzten, um deine Änderungen durchzuführen. Aber ich sehe schon, der Vergleich hinkt ein wenig, wenn man die Unterschiede bei der Kompilierungszeit beachtet

Du könntest das Feature ja als Post-Production Effect einführen Wenn man so denkt, würden mir noch mehr Dinge einfallen.. aber das lass ich jetzt mal lieber.

Ciao!
Christian

Re: Game-Edit - 11/20/05 21:53

Naja solche Effekte hatte ich schon geplant (z.B. ein Script, dass die Map selber n bisal optimiert; also z.B. die Positionen falls notwendig rundet usw. usw.), daher bin ich auch nicht abgeneigt.. Also falls dir mir solcher Features einfallen immer her damit (am nützlichsten sind die features die sich auf die ganze Map beziehen).

Bei dem effekt oben muss ich mir noch überlegen, wie ich das designtechnisch einbauen kann, da man das ja wohl kaum für jedes bild im Level haben will Vll. einfach per auswahl des Lichtnames.. Naja mal sehen.
Danke für das Bild (das Licht in der Mitte ist gleich stark geblieben oder?)

mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Timo
Posted By: testDummy

Re: Game-Edit - 11/21/05 01:48

Congratulations, your GUI department has just de-invented the "menu".
If the object is to make money, and when has the object not been to make money, tell your GUI department to clean-up its act or it will be replaced, and remove the images of the GUI immediately, before they hurt sales.
GUI blunders:
A. The GUI is not supposed to be showy.
It should be non-intrusive, and should not obstruct the view of the work area (the level).
The GUI department is trying to be overly artistic or stylish, and in doing so,
it is throwing the GUI into the user's face,
making the GUI the primary focus,
obstructing the user's vision, limiting visibility and hindering the functionality of the tool.
B. White text on light pink background? = Random drug tests for everyone in the GUI department.
C. Icons should be small, simple in form, descriptive, memorable and easily recognizable.
Duplicate circle icons that don't effectively represent the actions associated with them? Unacceptable.
I am not a GUI expert, (if you're trying to make money, maybe you should get some feedback from an expert) but I do know what common sense is telling me.
Posted By: creature

Re: Game-Edit - 11/21/05 05:27

A. A GUI can be as stylish and smooth as you like it as long as it retains functionality. There GUI can be moved around the screen if I can see right, making it as non-intrusive as possible so I wouldnt call it obstructive to a defree.

B. The colour does need to be changed,

C. Circles to need to be changed

Overall there GUI is NOT bad, in fact i consider it very stylish and yet effective, yes it has its draw backs but nothing meriting the type of post you just gave above. So stop being so unapologetically negative for the sake of being negative and offer them critisism in a positive way, you effectively attacked the GUI's weak points while not commenting on what you liked.

Re: Game-Edit - 11/21/05 12:21

Generally its a bit sad that such posts come after around 4000 lines of code, but okay..

A) Hmm not pretty sure what you mean.. You can close all windows, and only open the windows you need. I only wanted to show whats possible. Generally it is possible that you can only show the half crycle.. nothing more (this is the first view). Of course everything would be much more clear if the buttons would be different graphics. That will be made.
The stylish point is good point..
B) This will be changed yes.
C) We always use the same icon atm and will make different icons atm.

Generally we, of course, take your cirizism serious and because of that we'll change some things:
1) change the whole color sheme (maybe silver?)
2) make the menue much less stylish (angularly, more text, less buttons).
3) resize the buttons (smaller)

thanks for the very constructive ciricism
Triple-X

Re: Game-Edit - 11/21/05 12:26

A statement of SFMAT4

At first: The GUI isn't finished. There are no final buttons, colors or sizes of the main eleements. I only show the screens here to get more feedback which is quite negative. Maybe there will be a "standard" menue version.

The problem is, that the tool will be very voluminous. With a convetional method (windows) we would have more than 3-4 menue layers, which would be really unclear.

Standards as MAX or WED could be used also, because the menue bar is ABOVE the engine, which would permanently reduce the whole visible engine-section, and would cause a big unclearliness.
A test will show who the new interface works. I think that we go the right way.
All who are sceptical here please contact me in order to discuss.

best wishes
SFMAT4 / Martin Teichman

Re: Game-Edit - 11/22/05 01:13

I think the GUI is interesting and innovative. I do think it should perhaps be collapsible to a smaller circle or at least have a short cut key to toggle 'Hide/Show menues' so you can quickly toggle them invisible if needed. If not already considered then shortcut keys are cool as well.

Martin (MB) had this project in Showcase last year. http://www.superfluxus.de/tm_00.jpg The circle in the bottom left pops open and closed the menu.

A small thing I might consider would be either change the small submenu from a circle to a bar or make sure you have animated button states on hover over the X and icons. Otherwise I think people working quickly may frequently click the X instead of the icon as it is 'near' all icons.

Other than that when you have different icons, matching colors for main menu and its submenu and perhaps a title for stuff on the big wheel 'Material Tools' etc it will help people get use to the interface. For me it works. Reminds me a little of Eovia's stuff and even an artist pallete.

Re: Game-Edit - 11/22/05 03:04

Hi guys, to me the menu looks allot like Alias SketchBook. If you don't know it take a look it makes the whole menu process much easier in my opinion. I posted something similar some time back I still think it’s a great Idea for a menu.

Edit: I guess I should add the aspects of the Alias style menu system that I liked. All menus could be reduce to zero, with just a right click a minimized menu could be recalled. All sub menus drug from the main menu area had a line and were visible until you actually began using the selected tool. Then the line submenu would disappear until you needed something by right clicking.

The main menu was movable to any corner, had a minimized standard menu, could be further collapsed or expanded easily. I am not sure if I remember all correctly but this ease of use and unobtrusive menu system was a real strong point of Alias’s SketchBook. Hopefully this menu could do some of the same things for 3dgamstudio and this editor.

A. The GUI looks fine as is, hands off.
B. The colors look OK, Microsoft blue then we'll all die.
C. Icons should be as large as practicable, I can't see little icons .

Good luck I hope you keep it much as it appears.

Guardian

Re: Game-Edit - 11/22/05 08:46

Hey guys

Never forget these are ALL Wip shots.
1) you can move all windows
2) you can minimize and close all windows
3) by default all windows are not visible
4) you can only show the windows you need.
5) you can get fast and easy to understand to subpoints.

Thats why we've chosen this menue type. So in the futur we wont change the whole menue system but change the color and some other things (as mentioned above)

thanks for the cirizim and comments
Triple-X
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Game-Edit - 11/22/05 18:17

The main problem with the menu(aside from the colors) are all the connecting lines.. i hate this style of interface...it just makes it more confusing rather than less. Simple=good

Re: Game-Edit - 11/22/05 20:45

Perhaps my "criticism" of the GUI was harsh and inappropriate. It was not my intention to offend the developers of this product. Sometimes it appears that individuals are working extremely hard to achieve goals, but seem, from my perspective, to commit self-sabotage with idiotic blunders of great magnitude. Because some momentous mistakes and their consequences might seem so blatantly obvious to me, it takes a measure of constraint to simply go about my business and leave parties to suffer the negative consequences of their actions. In the moments that I perceive such apparent acts of self-sabotage, I must learn to accept that I may not know better, and withhold my initial reactions. Even if my deductions prove valid, it is not really my place or duty to protect others from their losses or pitfalls.

I may use this product. After roughly 4000 lines code, would a delicate response produce change?

Your GUI can be a work of art, but, in general, are works of art valued for their practicality and functionality?

Re: Game-Edit - 11/23/05 16:05

yesyes a bit complicated..
We wanted to have an innovative, flexible and fast-to work design.. Maybe it failed atm because of the design. But this is NOT the final design. This are absolutly WIP shots which sould only show the menue structure.

I'll discuss a draw back to WED with my 2D-Designer but its not too probably that we'll change. We'll see..

"After roughly 4000 lines code, would a delicate response produce change?"

Of course.. you are my customors.. you will have the big delay
Don't worry I am able to accept cirizim..

mfg
Timo
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Game-Edit - 11/23/05 16:07

well actually i like the design a lot, just the colors should be more silver maybe, or black or blue or yellow, green, whatever ^^ and the lines should be BEHIND the panels, not infront it.

But overall i really really like the design o_O

Re: Game-Edit - 11/24/05 22:42

Helle again.

here is a first shot of the new GUI design. I removed a lot of buttons.
Now these design issn´t finished too. Please tell me your opinion.

Posted By: DARKLORD

Re: Game-Edit - 11/24/05 22:59

I like it.
It looks very easy to use.

Good work!

Re: Game-Edit - 11/25/05 11:13

MUCH better

Re: Game-Edit - 11/25/05 20:05

awesome, dude! more better-better HUD

Re: Game-Edit - 11/26/05 04:38

Of course I liked the more colorful one better in some ways. But this dose seem to be a nice improvement, very clean, nice work.

Can each window be partially minimized?

Guardian

Re: Game-Edit - 11/26/05 08:50

Quote:

Can each window be partially minimized?

Yes each window can be minimized. On the screen is naturally only the main Toolbar.
The different categories in the propertie window can be seperat minimized too. Like the 3Dsmax menue.

MfG
SF

Game-Edit, 1st GUI Test-Screens - 11/27/05 15:02

Hey,

here are the first test screenshots of the GUI (in the screens you also see some possible "render-modes" settings).

comments are welcome

Re: Game-Edit, 1st GUI Test-Screens - 11/27/05 15:08

Very good! Now, hand it over or I'll shoot you!

Re: Game-Edit, 1st GUI Test-Screens - 11/28/05 13:47

GUI is MUCH improved. Good job

Re: Game-Edit, 1st GUI Test-Screens - 11/28/05 19:33

wow. good work.

Re: Game-Edit, 1st GUI Test-Screens - 11/28/05 19:49

GUI is very pr0 looking just if it could be bit blueish (it's my favourite coulur if ye havn't found that yet out..)

Game-Edit, news - 12/10/05 14:19

okay.. new infos:

release: within one of the next Acknex-Updates (maybe you know now what this means )
new features: it is possible now to show/hide single entrys in the windows

best wishes
Triple-X
Posted By: Wiz

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/10/05 15:01

Looks like this tool is comming togheter nicely. It will be very helpfull when balancing gameplay. I can't wait, so keep up the pace!
Posted By: Kerkelenz

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/11/05 22:00

Man this is awesome, I tryed to make one too, but I failed! Lol keep up the GOOD work!

Chears,

KEvin Erkelenz
Posted By: Aram

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/13/05 00:29

OMG, I check this link like every week (since August).

I think it will be a major acceleration in designing games with 3D Game Studio.

I also love your Easy Particles 3.

Keep up the good work Triple-X

Regards,
Aram Azhari

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/13/05 22:59

thanks aram, yes I also hope that this program will help many people..
And now a (small) news: the source code and publishing rights are sold. The happy client is the firm behind 3D-Gamestudio.

Maybe now we'll get some new suggestions (that's why I posted this here).
You all want a WYSIWYG Editor for 3DGS, implemented in 3DGS? Here it is. So now posts your feature-wishes...

Triple-X

PS: please don't congratulate or sth. like that, the aim behind this post is to show you how important / interesting the product might get for you and that you now have the chance too improve its quaility with nice ideas.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/13/05 23:00

wow nice one triplex!!! u da man are u still gonig to continue working on it though? or will it be handled inhouse by conitec

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/13/05 23:02

not every feature is handled inhouse by conitec. => I will finish (continue working) on the editor myself.
Posted By: AndyH

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/14/05 00:13

Oh joy, now we will get your fantastic work in 2009

DreamScapes MMOFRPG

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/14/05 00:36

language.... dont be so harsh on conitec and as he said he is doing the work still

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/16/05 05:23

The interface looks very much improved.
Concerning the purchase of the product and/or concept by Conitec, I can read, but because I'm an a$$, ...congratulations TripleX.

WARNING: stinkingly obvious x-ing
In perhaps, the best of cases for some existing users, this may mean that, Conitec may use Game-Edit to boost sales of existing products, and thus, some users who technically own these existing products, minus Game-Edit, may receive Game-Edit at no further cost. This case is very user-friendly, but I think it is also very unlikely.

In perhaps, a much worst case for some, if not all existing users, Conitec may use Game-Edit to boost sales of A7 Pro, and thus, both existing users that don't own Pro and existing users of A6 Pro must purchase an upgrade to A7 Pro to use it. This would probably translate to some cost for most of the existing users that want to use Game-Edit, and a very significant cost for existing users of versions other than Pro that want to use Game-Edit. Alternately, Conitec could sell Game-Edit separately as an add on, but, such a policy may exclude it from being advertised as an additional feature to bring in new customers, unless, of course, it was only sold separately to existing users. It might seem that Conitec would receive the most bang out of the buck they spent for Game-Edit, by packaging it as an A7 Pro feature. Conitec is a corporate entity, trying to run a business, so I'll assume this case is likely. The next most likely case, may be that Game-Edit is included in sales of new products, but might be sold to existing users as an add-on.

Of course, this is speculation and the bulk of it should be tossed out with yesterday's junk mail.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/16/05 16:22

I don't want and I'm not allowed to post any contract information here, but you can be absolutly sure that at the release everyone will have the possibilty to get Game-Edit. Not only pro Users.

Triple-X

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/16/05 18:38

I am really looking forward to this day. GameEdit will change the A6 world. From my point of view it will be a little revolution. It makes level designing much more comfortable and realtime.

One question came to my mind: Do you support some hidden parameters like shadow_alpha, some clipping and other variables that we only know from scrips until now?

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/17/05 11:51

clipping & fog variables will be supported.

You will also be able to change the shadow alpha value (you'll be able to access/change the standard materials like mat_shadow,mat_metal etc.)

Triple-X

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/17/05 20:06

working on a big statistics window atm. With that window you'll be able to see the progress of many variables in a big graph (scrollable).

Supported variables are amongst others fps, network (ping / received bytes etc.), nexus, rendertimes, visible objects etc.
Even user defined variables will be possible.

Might be very useful for testing your game and map. Addionally I will program a help/debug function that checks your whole map for mistakes (odd positions / too many polygones visible / wrong bitmap sizes etc. etc.) and give everything out in a formated html file.

TripleX

Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/20/05 14:32

a new screen (WIP): You can watch over 30 variables in this graph (tough I suggest you not to look at over 5 at the same time). Addionally I'll add a feature that you can watch your own variables.
You'll also be able to scroll the graph.

Triple-X

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/20/05 19:28

WOW. Coole Idee mit dem Graphen.
Wird immer besser.

Gruss Nicolas_b

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/20/05 22:07

That a great idea for optimizing, testing and debugging!

Here is a related idea - how about an option to 'show information bubble' Say you want to test your crate, you right click on the crate and select "Show Bubble" and then select which of the crates properties you want to watch, then you see a small bubble above the crate with the values you select and you can shoot the crate, move it whatever and watch those variables.

Something like this ...

Or something like the do with troops in RTS games, maybe you could also 'Turn on Bubbles for these objects" and then just have a floating bubble with an 'i' over these objects you selected and right clicking shows the current variables you are watching for this object.

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/21/05 11:11

this editor is going better and better!
nice ideas + great gfx + easy to use = GameEdit
i hope it will be finsih soon.

mfg,
beegee
-----------------------
ps: irgendwann muss ich ja auch mal in diesem thread schreiben

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/21/05 11:36

Triple X like some others, could work for Conitec in fact
Caus they bring us some usefull tools that Conitec don't provide.

For example the Particle Editor of Triple X is really usefull, and great,
very good interface.
It would be integrated in 3DGS package caus that's like the editors,
and nowadays particle are used everywhere and particle editor
is an essential editor.
(like in Torque or Unreal 2 engine with their own).
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/21/05 11:38

Hey Triple nice stuff you put together with sfmat!
Keep it up!

Btw: you mixed german and english in the last screenshot.
In the graph description box:
" - Renderzeit for geometrie (level + sky). Unit = ms"
'Renderzeit' and 'geometrie' sounds german to me.

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/22/05 19:00

Quote:

Triple X like some others, could work for Conitec in fact

how good that i acutally work for conitec

Quote:

Btw: you mixed german and english in the last screenshot.
In the graph description box:
" - Renderzeit for geometrie (level + sky). Unit = ms"
'Renderzeit' and 'geometrie' sounds german to me.

thanks, I've corrected this mistake.

@bupaje: would it be enough for you too watch variables in an extra window?

I plan to implement a Debug-Start Modus. With this modus you can only open the Graph and the watched variables (a window where you can watch and edit variables/strings etc.) windows. The game wont be terminated and you can play normal (with a half transparent GUI at the corners). So you can see the fps / var changes in "real" realtime.

@all I've implemented a linked list. With this symbols you can change several vars at the same time. Example:
You connect emissive_red, emissive_green and diffuse_red. If you now increase the value of emissive_red, the other 2 variables will follow. With this you have up to 4 possibilitys to edit vars (direct inkey, slider, arrows and direct color chose from a color palette)

Image (WIP Map-Properties Window shot. And linked list. In the final image, the border right from "red, green,blue" will colorize depending on the red,green,blue values)

comments are welcome
Triple-X

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/23/05 07:29

I LOVE YOU TRIPLE X No just kidding but this tool is awesome and it will defenetly
improve everybodys Levels! I have noticed that all the games made with A6 look
ike A6, I dont know why but mabe its ju8st that WED is not enough to make a good
level, but this tool is going to change it!
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/23/05 08:04

Quote:

I have noticed that all the games made with A6 look
ike A6, I dont know why but mabe its ju8st that WED is not enough to make a good
level, but this tool is going to change it!

This is mainly because of A6 engines lighting and the way of rendering models. These things won't be changed so easily ya know...

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/23/05 09:12

Yes I know, and I am trying my best in my current project to change that!
Garage games released the Comercial License for the Toqrue engine, the only thing
that kept me in A6 was the watermark of the Indie license, but you have to know
C++ for Torque and I am learning it now so I will stick with A6 for the next 2-3
years. Hey a Samuel, do you think you can skin a model for me, actually multiple
skins, its a character and I will also pay you or give you the Fulll version of my
game for free!

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/23/05 19:22

Quote:

Hey a Samuel, do you think you can skin a model for me, actually multiple
skins, its a character and I will also pay you or give you the Fulll version of my
game for free!

I realy sorry but I have my hands full on my own project (as I did the last time you asked for help) so I can't realy help you out.

Re: Game-Edit - Statistics Window - 12/23/05 20:13

Damn my skins look like they were made in paint, not even that, WORSE! But anyway
thanks...

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/27/05 18:22

Quote:

Maybe now we'll get some new suggestions (that's why I posted this here).
You all want a WYSIWYG Editor for 3DGS, implemented in 3DGS? Here it is. So now posts your feature-wishes...

I want everything that we can see in this video:
http://farcry.4thdimension.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=337

Well, I think that I want everything else also. Look here (More videos) :
http://farcry.4thdimension.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&cid=21

Woudn't be nice to have all those features with gamestudio?

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/27/05 18:33

I dont want to repost those big images, so I post a previous one which is a bit smaller:

I dont see in this picture the boxes for string1 and string2 for an entity. Maybe you have forgotten this.

[EDIT]

I saw this physics tab: I dont know the contract agreements and paragraphs, but since Newton Game Dynamics is open source, would it be possible to integrate it as possible option instead of Gamestudios physics?

Ciao
Christian

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/27/05 20:13

the look of the gui is nice but i would prefer it to be non-overlapping. i don't like wasting time with shifting around palettes like in photoshop. in my opinion an example for a well thought out non-overlapping gui is modo (blender's gui also is similar but less customizeable and versatile).

i like sfmat4's pie menus but they should only block the view while you hold a key and not permanently.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/27/05 20:26

@HeelX:

1) We forget String1/2, thanks for the remark. Will be implemented.
2) I'm not pretty sure if I'm allowed to implement Newton Game Dynamics but I'll think about it (tough its not planed for the near near futur )

@Sorcerer:

The most things seen in the video will be possible, tough some things aren't because the engine isn't able to do this (like realtime lighting adding with the same quality as the engine have).

Triple-X

EDIT: @ventilator: Generally it is very difficult to listen to the opionon of every customer. So, sorry we can not change the GUI again.
As you can see the second GUI was a non-overlapping test (and was abadonned because the design simply used the whole screen).
Addionally it is very very diffcult to get all model informations into ONE window (would have to be parted => too much place for too less informations).
So at the end we decided to use a GUI which pack the different themes (models/materials/light/terrain etc.) in seperated windows, which are itself parted in submenues.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 12/27/05 21:51

Hi,

here is a screen of the new object toolbar. These alows you to include and edit models.

@ Ventilator: it is possible to arrive every menu layer with one click. Every main Button have Buttons wich pop up if you stay with the Mouse there.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/09/06 22:48

finally finished the new save-managment. With it you can now save when and what you want (in contrast to the old save-managment, where the editor saved all changes).

With this change a UNDO/REDO system (+ a journal) is possible. Addionally desiging faults are not automatically saved, and can first be tested before your save them finaly.
And at last you generally don't want to save everything (e.g. if you replace an enemy model in ordner to test the new AI system).

TripleX

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/10/06 08:05

So this is going to be in A6.5? I can't wait then !
Posted By: destruktor

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/10/06 16:59

very nice design and programming
escpillay that you can work with wed-files is great in stat of useing an own format. A good alternativ against the wed

mfg destruktor

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/11/06 08:41

good alternative!? o.O This tools will be the ultimate tool for the level creation
and from my point of view, people will only use WED to publish the game and
create WAD files! Not that WED is a bad tool, but it doesnt have the functions to
create professional levels so with this, its gonna be way easier!

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/11/06 09:28

Quote:

good alternative!? o.O This tools will be the ultimate tool for the level creation
and from my point of view, people will only use WED to publish the game and
create WAD files! Not that WED is a bad tool, but it doesnt have the functions to
create professional levels so with this, its gonna be way easier!

now come on and be serious. while there is no doubt that this is going to be a great thing. wed isnt that bad. the problems there are mor on the users side, if he/she is able to use the tool the right way. i dont believe that anyone who cant create a goodlooking level with wed can do it with this tool.

its that simple.

tripleX, will this be included in 6.5 as matt_coles stated, or will this be an extra addon to pay for??

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/11/06 10:48

I agree with Sylver_Games and Ello. At my mind WED is still necessary to create BSP trees and to do the compilations of Light maps.

But after that I would do all the level design in GameEdit. You can see models better. You will see lighting of models better. You can better scale models. You will see shaders and terrain. You can place objects better on terrain. You can see stencil shadows, materials and maybe even your particles.

With that in mind there is quite a difference to WED. And I am looking forward to that. I hate all these work with compiling, running, exiting, changing, compiling, running and so on. I think you got my point.

Frank

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/11/06 20:24

Quote:

Not that WED is a bad tool, but it doesnt have the functions to
create professional levels

LOL man... Glider levels are pretty professional, Dan Silver mans works are professional + many succesfull games contain professional levels made with wed... Indeed some tools make it easier to make professional levels but wed can do the same, just with a little extra work.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/12/06 08:34

WED is indead a great tool and I cant make a better one, and I can create great
levels with it, but then I allways fail in getting the lighting and material
results I want and thats where this tool comes in, actually I can use it on some
situations with level designing and texturing too bud as far as I know you can
place Lights with GameEdit and it can save that to a WMB and WMP. Oh and Frank_G,
please call me Sylver, I only chose Sylver_Games for Sylver is in use...

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/12/06 09:00

Quote:

WED is indead a great tool and I cant make a better one, and I can create great
levels with it, but then I allways fail in getting the lighting and material
results I w...

did i miss something, will this editor generate better lightmaps?
lighting can be done very well with wed and the builder, you just need to know how

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/12/06 09:31

The static lights generated with WED are superb. But you cannot check lighting of models, materials and terrain. That's why we are happy to get GameEdit as an Ingame-Editor. Both tools are important and necessary to create quality work and there is no need to say one is better or worse.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/12/06 14:03

Quote:

The static lights generated with WED are superb. But you cannot check lighting of models, materials and terrain. That's why we are happy to get GameEdit as an Ingame-Editor. Both tools are important and necessary to create quality work and there is no need to say one is better or worse.

Amen... WED should be your first choice. Then when you have done your level in WED you go and make it better with this tool.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/13/06 04:42

I agree with you Mr. Anjam, but as far as I know it can also create Level Geometry
so why not build parts of the level with it that would be impossible or hard in WED?
And the texturing is way easier when you see the lighting directly!

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/13/06 05:01

Static lightmaps have to be built...even when octree gets implemented, so unless this editor is going to return a rough approximation, in realtime(I haven't kept up with this thread so maybe it does), there's no way you'll know what the lights are going to look like. Dynamic lights are another matter.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/13/06 06:18

Quote:

but as far as I know it can also create Level Geometry
so why not build parts of the level with it that would be impossible or hard in WED?
And the texturing is way easier when you see the lighting directly!

As fas as I know this editor can only load up wmb entities which means precompiled level parts that are prelighted in wed with static lights. You can not make wed block with this editor, neither place static lights since you would have to compile the whole level again. So you can not texture wed blocks with this editor either... This editor mainly concentrates on models and runtime enveronments.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/14/06 02:46

It should be able to create lights, my friend is kinad of a noob in GS and he can
make a function for inserting lights and saving it as a wmb

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/14/06 05:14

Quote:

Static lightmaps have to be built...even when octree gets implemented, so unless this editor is going to return a rough approximation, in realtime(I haven't kept up with this thread so maybe it does), there's no way you'll know what the lights are going to look like. Dynamic lights are another matter.

Why would you want to use this for lightmapping, that obviously isn't realtime.. that isnt the point of this editor, anyway lightmaps are not very useful..

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/28/06 20:19

Hey together,

Now I need your help in ordner to get a better and bug-free Game-Edit.
Please send me your levels (no matter if big or small, terrain or no terrain) - with all models and sprites you are using in this map (if possible - not neccarry - also add the wdls in which your material definitions are).

How to send:
Email: Triple-X(at)hawkgames(dot)de
MSN: Triple-X(at)hawkgames(dot)de
Uploaded Level: please send the link in a pm to me

Quote:

As fas as I know this editor can only load up wmb entities which means precompiled level parts that are prelighted in wed with static lights. You can not make wed block with this editor, neither place static lights since you would have to compile the whole level again. So you can not texture wed blocks with this editor either... This editor mainly concentrates on models and runtime enveronments.

dito, that's correct.

Quote:

tripleX, will this be included in 6.5 as matt_coles stated, or will this be an extra addon to pay for??

This tool won't be included in a6.5 and wont be an extra addon you'll have to pay for (a small tip.. a7 )
thanks,
Triple-X

PS: okay, no post without screen..a shot of the new protocol window (here you can see, undo and redo all actions you've done) - Of course WIP

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/29/06 11:43

Good work, Tribel_X.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/29/06 12:37

NO chances for me to buy it

i would a lot prefer to buy torque
real time edit in game with physics, terrain editor more complete easy, drop entities, building etc in game ,grass replicator built in editor , multi layer
sky management and editor, ultra fast lightmapper on terrain and buildings....etc ...
not comparable to your tool
i prefer to wait and come back later and use 3DGS when it will have all
these official features.

I would only buy features or plugins if they where entireley supported buy conitec, and shown in big pages on the site ...like the addons for Torque
that are official.

well good chance for your plugin..i'm not someone waiting for it , and
not waiting for 3DGS improvements for now !

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/29/06 22:12

Hey Triple X,

How much extra do you think the plugin will cost? And any ideas on release date. It's looking so good that I'd put my money down on it now if I had a chance.

Keep up the good work

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/30/06 03:48

He said: "This tool won't be included in a6.5 and wont be an extra addon you'll have to pay for (a small tip.. a7 )"

You don't have to pay for it. It wont be an extra addon you'll have to pay for. Perhaps it will only come out for A7.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/30/06 09:24

Quote:

not comparable to your tool

Obviously this can not be compared to something that has been in developement for years with a little bigger team than TripleX's. Everybody knows this so if I would be you I would shut up and not try to disincourage TripleX since he started to do this tool free for everyone in this community and now you are trying to push him down? And lets keep that Tourque stuff out of this thread since this is a thread for Game-edit.

Thank you...

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/30/06 09:31

Quote:

NO chances for me to buy it

i would a lot prefer to buy torque

then do so:)

well, i am a little sad that this will be incorporated into the 3dgs package because i wont buy another expensive pro again (i already paid for a5pro and a6pro, thats enough).
for tripleX and his man this is definately a good thing but for the user, hmm, well. its sad

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/30/06 12:23

you will be able to buy Game-Edit seperatly (no idea about the price - dont ask for freeware.. even if I wanted to publish it for free, I don't think I would be allowed to do this) from us with much more features (like the mentioned gras generator and sky managment, maybe even a sequence generator + update service and support), around 2 months after I've finished the version of JCL / conitec.

@TheExpert: I don't want to compare myself with the developers of the torque ingame-editor, but I know that they've been working on it much longer than I (and maybe it is more than 1 programmer and 1 graphic-designer).
But never the mind.. Game-Edit 1.0 wont be the last version of Game-Edit.. so lets suprise yourself what comes after it.

thanks for the comments,
Triple-X

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/30/06 12:28

great to hear that. what that skymanagement about ??

Re: Game-Edit, news - 01/30/06 22:28

hmm what do you want to do in a sky-managment? generally I have no idea what to support, sorry
(of course you'll be able to change the flags/types/layers etc. of every sky, and change the general settings like sky_blend/clip etc., but I'll think more about this topic when I want to start the next version of Game-Edit).

Triple-X
Posted By: frozenbaby

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/09/06 21:18

I have just finished re-scanning this thread - to reacquaint myself with the tool and it's progress.

To start, a quote from August 19, 2005 (first posting), "At the moment this editor is planed to be free for everyone." Seems like this has changed. With the "information" to-date, it appears it will be included in a7, and available to all other previous versions as a commercial addon. After waiting 6 months, is disappointing to discover the orginal intent has changed, and appears to be a bit "leading" to foster interest for a commercial product.

That being said, doesn't bother me as I would have paided for the editor. Does aggrevate me abit that users were lead to believe one thing only to discover after six months another situation.

I congratulate TripleX on a job well done and certainly don't bemoan him compensation for his excellent work. But now that release dates, updates and general maintenence are being handled by conitec, I will pass. Even if the project continues to be headed up by TripleX, given conitec's past record of slow updates and buggy first or second releases, I will just continue to use the tools that were included when I purchased 3dGS or other commercial tools. Have served me well so far. For what it is, 3dGS is still the best "bang for the buck" gaming system.

At such time that I may consider a7, seems it will be available as part of the package.

As a side note to developers of addons, additions, ect - whether gratus (free) or commercial, I suggest that you post NO information prior to a v.9 beta with less than 10% work to completion. That way, readers here will know that the tool will be available SHORTLY. If once it is released, and additions/corrections are to be made, posters can continue to use the tool while waiting for new implementations; or if the software is to go commercial, users have had the chance to try it and decide if they want to purchase. Creates less confusion. It's the way the "big boys" (profession software companies) do it.

Sincerely.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/09/06 21:41

Well, selling the Editor is also an improvemt to is
future quality, as TripleX will/can put more effort to it.

Nevertheless, as long as there is no running demo,
it is hard to discuss about its "bucks to usability" ratio.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/09/06 22:37

Quote:

To start, a quote from August 19, 2005 (first posting), "At the moment this editor is planed to be free for everyone." Seems like this has changed. With the "information" to-date, it appears it will be included in a7, and available to all other previous versions as a commercial addon. After waiting 6 months, is disappointing to discover the orginal intent has changed, and appears to be a bit "leading" to foster interest for a commercial product.
(..)
Does aggrevate me abit that users were lead to believe one thing only to discover after six months another situation.

Thats correct and I'm sorry I had to change the first proposal (but as I said. At the moment the editor is planed to be free) Tough you shouldn't forget that at first the editor should be a small level editor and mainly a small ingame material editor, which MUCH less features.
This has changed since I work for conitec.

Quote:

But now that release dates, updates and general maintenence are being handled by conitec, I will pass.

Thats absolutly wrong. It depends on me. To calm you down: There is no clause which force me to release the editor after the release of Game-Edit in A7 => The editor will be released when its finished, not earlier and not later.

Quote:

As a side note to developers of addons, additions, ect - whether gratus (free) or commercial, I suggest that you post NO information prior to a v.9 beta with less than 10% work to completion

normally that is also my attitude. But in this special case, as this program will be sold to Conitec I decided to post informations etc. in order to get the customer the chance to suggest features or cirtizice (Example: The 2nd interface which was rejected by the most in this forum. I personally would have used this interface which would have led to a worse product).
Conitec has been often critizied not to read futur posts or not to react on them. While the developing of this Editor I give you the chance to influence the development, and wish you features you want to have (as you also had in the morbious poll).
This wouln't be possible if I post here after version 0.9
BTW: As this Post started, I thought it was the 0.9 Version...
BTW2: I am no big boy. I'm only a hobby programmer

As a sitenote for the people who say that the disposal to conitec will affect the product quality. That is true. But in postive way. Without the "motivation of the money" you would see much less features (like the terrain and many model editing features) and much more bugs.
Freeware is fine, no question. But the product quality won't be the same with a com. project.

To the release dates: Everyone who ever programmed a bigger tool, knows that its almost impossible to give exact release dates. I'm working +2 hourse every day atm.
In the future I wont give release dates anymore. Because of the many possible (and inpossible ) problems, because of the many design questions, because of the infintive possiblitys of bugs, and the much features.

TripleX
Posted By: Zio

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/10/06 01:50

Quote:

I suggest that you post NO information prior to a v.9 beta with less than 10% work to completion.

If everyone did that, there'd be almost no posts on the forum, and the ones that would be posted would be rather boring threads. One of the great things about this forum is getting to see first hand the progression projects take throughout their development. Not to mention that user feedback at an early stage is extremely helpful.

You just have to keep in mind that things can change. Nothing, especially passing comments in a thread, is set in stone.
Posted By: frozenbaby

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/10/06 03:16

Ok ...

software development is about 1.) writing the GUI shell (which is akin to defining what your application will or will not do - like an outline), 2.) writing the core engine to accomplish that which you defined in part 1, 3.) releasing an alpha to a group of testers for examination, 4.) a beta to a larger - most times non-affliated - users and 5.) Release of v1.0. While a forum platform can be used to simulate some of these steps, it is misleading most times to the readers/poster whereas a tangible application in hand is a "hardcopy" that an user can interact with.

I have several applications I have written "in-house" (code named "chyrsalis") that I have used in my game development that I fully plan to release to the 3dgs community. I have finished the GUI (it's being written in Delphi Enterprise) and could release screenshots for your consideration. In fact - here is a compilation .jpg of the GUI - versions 1 and 2. I show these to make my point. Even if I described to you what the app is meant to do and ask for your input, I don't have a working version that I would feel confortable releasing to the community at this point and as such wouldn't start a thread. It wouldn't benefit you or me. Whereas you may look at screenshots and think, that doesn't appear to work or be an effective UI, with the application in hand, running you may then understand the logic and flow behind the design.

Granted, we have a forum for GAMES -> showcase 1. And a WIP game is much different than a tool as levels, lighting, shaders, particle effects ... are subjective. In that respect, input from fellow game developers is welcomed and even cherished. A tool is abit of a different situation in my opinion.

As I said previously, I applaud TripleX for being able to make money. He's done GREAT work in the past. But as even he acknowledges - the original intent (free) has changed. I had the same happen to me, on my post in Showcase II - "the unKnowing". Publisher is now interested. I am under non-disclosure. I announced that to the forum in a post in the thread, and told them there would be no more screenshots or discussions - ect, effectively closing the thread. I know that in December - TripleX did much the same when he announced the tool had been sold and intimated it was bought by conitec (and I might add, an interesting way he did it without violating non-disclosure/contract details). Thread, in my opinion, should have ended there. I had to backtrack from the end (QUITE a few posts later) to discover it had indeed been sold. As I said previously, I would have paid for it regardless.

These again are just my opinions. But I have seen alot of posts here that show this or that for inpending projects, ect with lots of user input and excitement only to find out after getting excited about a potentional useful situation, anticipating for 1,2 or even 6 months that things have changed or are nonexistent. My intent here was to express that and suggest that developers don't post unless they have something more tangible to offer; or create a forum properly entitled, "what I hope to accomplish" so that a reader hasn't any misleading expectations.

Applogize if this appears to be a rant, but I read/review far too many forums expecting things that never come to fruition. Don't want this useful forum to go down that road.

Sincerely.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/10/06 07:13

1) My intend for this project has changed after I sold it too conitec. Of course. Nevertheless I think after this disposal it got much more important to give every forum user the possiblity to give critics and proposals.
Example:
I work until Version 0.9. Now there is one big feature which is wished by many users. It will be impossible to implement it in V 1.0.

Of course, I can not promise you too see every feature.I could die today
I can say you at this time that not every feature will make it into V1.0.

Please don't discuss this in this thread anymore. I wont change the information "service" for this thread for the said reasons.
I think the quality of 3DGS would be much better, if they would accept more feature wishes of the forum-users.

Triple-X

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/22/06 22:03

a small update..

All shots are WIP. No window is finished.
Next feature will be random generated heightmaps and generating terrains ingame.
Suggestions & comments welcome.

I hope nothing more to say

TripleX
Posted By: broozar

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/22/06 22:19

hey TripleX,

one thing i needed so badly during the last weeks - could you please think of it and include it in your editor?

for creating fog fields, clouds etc. it would be extremely helpful if we could use help gizmos; a (invisible) box filled with an array of sprites, each having an action attached.
in your editor, there could be a button "atmosphere helpers", a wireframe box will appear (where your fog field should be situated), and you can select the sprite, the action, the number of sprites and the size. would be very cool.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/23/06 08:33

Yes. I already mentioned this idea to place several entities at once.

Your hmp tools look amazing from what I can see so far. From my point of view a possibility to paint textures directly ingame would be great.

I mean: You could support a special kind of a multitexturing shader. The textures for grass, stones, rocks and so on have to be added to the hmp. There is an external bitmap for the blending (maybe with alpha channel or with RGB channels) and we simply paint in this blending map with the pencils that you provide in your editor.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/23/06 10:51

Hi TripleX, what where frame rates like during these deformation tests? And how have they been in general with outdoor scenes so far?

Anyway looks promising. Keep up the good work.

Guardian

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/25/06 18:31

answers:

Quote:

for creating fog fields, clouds etc. it would be extremely helpful if we could use help gizmos; a (invisible) box filled with an array of sprites, each having an action attached.
in your editor, there could be a button "atmosphere helpers", a wireframe box will appear (where your fog field should be situated), and you can select the sprite, the action, the number of sprites and the size. would be very cool.

A "fog creater" as you mentioned is an interesting idea. An effect editor is planed for version 1.1 (or later). I'll think about implementing such a tool than.

Quote:

Hi TripleX, what where frame rates like during these deformation tests? And how have they been in general with outdoor scenes so far?

The frame-rate while deforming is relativly high. But of course you shouldn't run Game-Edit on a 400 MHZ computer (simly because the Interface needs to much ressources and some operations, like starting the editor in a really big level can take a bit time).

Quote:

Yes. I already mentioned this idea to place several entities at once.

Implemented some weeks ago:

a new screenshot:

comments welcome,
TripleX

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/25/06 19:19

TripleX,
Do you want some more things to implement into GameEdit? Look here:
http://www.freeworld3d.org/

This tool is the tool I ever used to make terrains, edit, paint, make a GREAT lightmap, load and move, scale, rotate models, etc.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/25/06 19:53

your terrain si fantastic sorcerer

very cool for some adventue RPG game with roads

i hope 3DGS to quickly have terrain editor and be able to import external
textures like of freeworld
Posted By: GhostwriterDoF

Re: Game-Edit, news - 02/25/06 20:08

Wow! This is great! I can't think of anything better than to have additional, compatible tools for GameStudio, other than to have them made my 3DGS users. Sometimes a good idea progresses beyond the scope of its original intention.

Thanks TripleX for starting this project and sticking with it, even after it became much more than you planned. It still keeps with the idea to make the process a little easier and more fun to create levels.

And thanks to Conitec too for their continued efforts to make GameStudio a more productive environment.

It is easy to complain, it is not easy to develop and maintain software, especially when it continues to evolve. The "big boys" are greedy, Conitec is not. ahem

EDIT-> oops... forgot suggestions

My suggestion would be for Conitec to provide this feature for all levels of GameStudio users,
as it would be most benificial to those who get 3DGS to create for amature purposes. For the
Com and Pro packages we could get this feature to add to our publishing an ability to compile
a built in map editor as a part of our game releases (limited to only basic features of course).

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/15/06 14:40

okay after a short development pause, because of an computer crash I've been working again for a week.. I liked the idea of layers in your terrain program sorcerer, so here is the new layer system (4 layers max. atm).

now you can paint on the alpha-chanel and on textures, relying on what you want..

Posted By: Damocles

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/15/06 14:56

How about baking sunlight/Terrainshadows onto the Map as an extra option?

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/15/06 15:23

Oh, fantastic. This is what I had in mind in one of my previous posts. I am happy to see it already solved. Great!

The idea of Damocles is quite good and could be useful but I could imagine that this is a bit complicated to do.
Posted By: Jupp

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/15/06 21:06

Looks great Timo!

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/15/06 22:43

Quote:

How about baking sunlight/Terrainshadows onto the Map as an extra option?

Yes this idea will be implement. If the time is enough in Version 1.0 (conitec version).

Quote:

Oh, fantastic. This is what I had in mind in one of my previous posts. I am happy to see it already solved. Great!

as I said.... post your suggestions.. ATM its not late (espically because the most complicated code part - saving hmp's and mdl's - seems to work much easier as I thought (thank god for the mdl7.lib and hmp5.lib - which could give me some new possibilities to implement!

thanks for the comments,
TripleX
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/15/06 23:25

Quote:

(thank god for the mdl7.lib and hmp5.lib - which could give me some new possibilities to implement!

Godfather Jcl - or one of the other incarnations!!!

[Sorry, couldn't resist! ]

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/16/06 08:25

I thought about GameEdit yesterday and got 2 ideas / questions:

1) As I could see you support deforming of terrain. But as far as I know it will not work with chunked terrain. What does that mean? Will you not support chunked terrain or will you simply disable the deforming tools when chunked terrain is selected?

2) Which version of GS will you support? Does GameEdit work with 6.31 or will it only run on 6.4 and higher? Many users have 6.31 projects and will not switch them to 6.40 because of compatibility issues. So it would be nice to have both. You could even sell the 6.31 version when that is the problem. At least I would be happy to get GameEdit very fast to work on my actual project on 6.31 and I really appreciate your great work that you have done so far.

Best regards,
Frank

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/16/06 09:25

very nice work triplex, youre the man keep it up.

how about a shadowmap for the terrain?

also a feature to paint with sprites, i mean putting lots of grass sprites onto the terrain. so with your brush you place sprites with random pan value?

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/16/06 12:14

@ ulf: yes it is possible to "paint" gras or trees on terrain.
There are Several config options for the rand settings.
MfG
SF

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/17/06 15:23

Hey,

Quote:

1) As I could see you support deforming of terrain. But as far as I know it will not work with chunked terrain. What does that mean? Will you not support chunked terrain or will you simply disable the deforming tools when chunked terrain is selected?

(Of course) deforming of chunked terrain is not possible. You'll have to start the engine in unchunked mode. There's nothing I could do againts this engine limitation.

Quote:

2) Which version of GS will you support? Does GameEdit work with 6.31 or will it only run on 6.4 and higher? Many users have 6.31 projects and will not switch them to 6.40 because of compatibility issues. So it would be nice to have both. You could even sell the 6.31 version when that is the problem. At least I would be happy to get GameEdit very fast to work on my actual project on 6.31 and I really appreciate your great work that you have done so far.

ATM this Version wont support A6.31.4 because it's made for A7 and not for A6.3 and therefore uses A6.4 / announced A6.5 features. But maybe I'll support A6.31.4 in a limited version when I sell Game-Edit for myself.

A new screenshot: (the color of the text will be changed to 0,0,0; dont worry)

TripleX

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/18/06 20:08

hy Tribel x,

This new Game-Edit feature is veri good.
Nice work.

gg Nicolas

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/19/06 06:26

Hey Mr. Stark, if this is not yet implented, I have 2 more Ideas:

-A filter, were people can choose wether they only want to view the models,
terrains, sprites etc. In the scene would be great in my oppinion!

-An automatic shadow generator, this might be none sense of impossible,but for
trees I guess its useful, the program takes the model, makes a screenshot from the
top view with a white background, turns any other color in to black and then puts
it in to the level as a sprite, that way there is an exact shadow that works on
static objects without motion. Could be useful!

But hey Mr. Stark that is excellent work there!

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/19/06 08:04

I haven't read the rest, so this might be addressed, but a road tool like the one in FreeWorld3D terrain editor would be a nice addition. See it in action below:

http://www.freeworld3d.org/video/roads.wmv

Of course, it would be useful on non-terrain surfaces, too.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 03/19/06 13:17

Editing a chunked terrain with a noch chunked representation terrain (RT) is possible.

You take a bitmap, that serve for the complete heightmap, if it is too big you store a image list of chunked bitmap parts, but if a integer ratio (4 chunk bitmaps store each 2x2 cells of the chunked terrain). So, you could move the RT to the current cell of the chunked terrain (determine it by checking againste the camera center vector), when the RT swaps to another cell, save the heightmap data into the appropriate bitmap or bitmap chunk or subchunk (if one chunk represents more than one terrain chunk). During swapping and saving you can deform the mesh with the heightmap data of the tied bitmap/-chunk/-subchunk and then do the whole editing process with RT for that part of the terrain. To save the terrain file I suggest you have to write it manually to the disk, I'm not familiar with chunked terrain.

A new suggestion by me: please let the user select faces of polygons of a model and then delete the selected faces, also for the model. If you edit one model, duplicate the real file and add a suffix at the end - to prevent that all models became changed and the source model is unchanged (perhaps you can let the user decide this by an option task to do this nevertheless). Add also selection options like select inverse or so constrainted only on that one model.

Thanks.

Game-Edit, update - 03/31/06 15:04

Hey,

New feature: Multi-Terrain Creation and with that, splitting of heightmaps and textures. In Addition to a "File->New Map" and a "File->Open" feature, Game-Edit will finally become a real level editor, with that you can create levels from the ground up. With a WMP saving function.

The Beta Testers will get The first Alpha (~0.8-0.9) of Game-Edit will be senin the next 2-6 days.

WIP shot..

best wishes,
TripleX

Re: Game-Edit, update - 03/31/06 17:31

OFF-topic:
What I always ask, when I see your editor is: How much time has you got?
The really most time I spend is making and designing the menue. Do you count the hours do you spend on this?

ON-topic: Wooooow! This new feature of your Game-Edit is very pro. Before some months I also want to make a such game editor(not edit, but create). I've also implemented the feature to deform and paint on a terrain. And it was good, but the time to load the terrain was bad. I don't know why it loads so long.
How high is the terrain skin resolution and how high is the vertices resolution?(in my editor it was:124x124vertices,8192-8192pixel,splitted in 16terrains)
Will there be a reticule on the terrain?(Gitternetz)

Regards,
beegee

------------------------
GenuineMotors.de

Re: Game-Edit, update - 03/31/06 19:22

thanks beegee,

"Do you count the hours do you spend on this?"
I would say 4-6 hours a day.. maybe more as jcl ^^

"How high is the terrain skin resolution and how high is the vertices resolution?(in my editor it was:124x124vertices,8192-8192pixel,splitted in 16terrains)"

you can adjust the skin / vertices res to anything you want (see generate shot). Generating 16 terrains with 124x124 vertices and 4096-4096 px needs splitted.. *test*...4-5 seconds..

"Will there be a reticule on the terrain?(Gitternetz)"
every model / terrain that is selected will be "overrenderd" in wireframe mode (so you can see wireframe + texture).

best wishes,
TripleX

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/02/06 07:04

Hey Tribel X. (Sry das ich jetzt auf deutsch poste)
Wann wird der Editor den voraussichtlich Fertig sein?

gg Nicolas

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/02/06 08:24

i wonder how they did the road making in freeworld 3d?!? such a feature would be nice too triplex

as far as i know you can have only up to 3 different textures + 1 detail map for a terrain with a normal not 1.4 mutltitextureshader. so this must either be made of sprites wich i doubt or models (faces) with a texture.
so in theory the terrain is flattend and something is layed on top of it to look like a street right?

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/02/06 08:56

Quote:

i wonder how they did the road making in freeworld 3d?!? such a feature would be nice too triplex

I found these quotes in another thread regarding the feature, as well as, a river carving tool:

Quote:

Yes, I'm actually working on it at the moment. The create river is done, it simply carvs out a river path. But I'm converting it from the Heightmap dialog to being able to carve a river in the viewport, since it seems much more intuitive that way.

As for the road creation, I'm about 40% through with it. It can already create a road from a starting point and an end point, and you specify how steep any part of the road is allowed to be as well as the width of the road. Then it generates a path along the terrain adjusting the vertices correctly.

Right now it only affects the vertices right under the draw path, it does not take into the width of the road, but I have already come up with a simple solution to do this.

Also, I was thinking about also having an option to duplicate the triangles for the road and create an actual mesh which lies on top of the terrain, which can then be textured with a road image, and even have the lines in the road image match up with the direction of the path.

Quote:

You simply place points on the terrain for the road, specify to use linear or spline interpolation between them.......so you can visualize the road in 3D...

then you would click a button to have it adjust the heights of each road point so again, you could visualize what it would look like........

then the last step would be to build the geometry.

Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/11/06 17:05

Fantastische Arbeit!

Nur eine Frage: Könnte Map-Edit teoretisch Wed total ersetzen? Das würde Gamestudio sicher ganz weit nach oben helfen!

Weiter so!

MFG Dark_samurai
Posted By: 3MWe

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/12/06 13:55

noch eine frage: wann kommt er denn raus, wo kann ich mir ihn runterladen, was kostet er?

when is it published, how mush is it, where can i download it?

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/12/06 18:06

"Nur eine Frage: Könnte Map-Edit teoretisch Wed total ersetzen? Das würde Gamestudio sicher ganz weit nach oben helfen!"

Game.Edit COULD replace WED if you build up your level out of entities. Block Creation with GameEdit isn't planed so far (tough it would be a nice feature of course)

"when is it published, how mush is it, where can i download it? "

1) the conitec version will be published in the next 1-2 months.
2) The GameEdit Version by me will be published around 2 months later.
3) There's no price until now.
4) You'll be able to download it after you bought it

TripleX
Posted By: vlau

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/12/06 18:38

Sorry, I didn't read all the posts of this thread.
What difference between the Conitec version and your
version?

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/12/06 19:41

Quote:

Sorry, I didn't read all the posts of this thread.
What difference between the Conitec version and your
version?

We would like to include realtime physic, lights and particle effekt tools. Maybe an Effekt Design tool. But these isn´t the final say.
We are happy for all suggestive proposals.

regards
SF
Posted By: vlau

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/13/06 06:31

Quote:

We would like to include realtime physic, lights and particle effekt tools. Maybe an Effekt Design tool. But these isn´t the final say.

Good to know, I think it will be a great tool.
thank you so much SFMAT4.

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/13/06 09:35

By conitec version : you don't mean included in 3DGS ?
Conitec haven't baught your tool ?

Your editor is really powerfull : you could have created your own 3D game studio
if you have used Ogre3D or other libraries : )

Nice and great work.

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/13/06 09:38

Please include an WMP importing tool so that one could import WMP geometry and convert it into MDLs, so that you use the geometry and the data concerning textures. You would import the related textures into the model as external textures and then you create per face a tiled texture skinning with the offsets, scaling and rotation of WED.

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/13/06 10:42

Quote:

By conitec version : you don't mean included in 3DGS ?
Conitec haven't baught your tool ?

they've bought it.

Quote:

Please include an WMP importing tool so that one could import WMP geometry and convert it into MDLs, so that you use the geometry and the data concerning textures. You would import the related textures into the model as external textures and then you create per face a tiled texture skinning with the offsets, scaling and rotation of WED.

when exactly would you need such a feature? Generally I don't think, it would be too difficult to implement block importing by contrast to texture importing.

TripleX

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/13/06 15:49

transforming WMP BSP geometry to models would be a very bad process :
BSP geometry constructions have lot of unecessary vertex , and if you have used tesselation :
you'll have even more lot of unecessary vertex and faces.

if i was you i'll start a new clean project without any BSP at all.
Posted By: Mondivirtuali

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/13/06 16:06

what about shader support?
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/13/06 16:58

This really looks awesome and is great to hear conitec snatched it up too. Makes me curious tho... Is it going to be a part of 3dgs entirely... Prehaps replacing wed or will it be an add on. In other words are they going to charge us for it or will it come with the upgrades?

In either case great work. Really wish you the best of luck with this tho at this point looks like ya may not need it

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/14/06 11:53

what about shader support?

=> Shader can be edited, and reloaded in realtime (with the help of notepad)

This really looks awesome and is great to hear conitec snatched it up too. Makes me curious tho... Is it going to be a part of 3dgs entirely... Prehaps replacing wed or will it be an add on. In other words are they going to charge us for it or will it come with the upgrades?

I can not give you a fixed conitec Version when Game.Edit will be released. Sorry.

TripleX

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/14/06 11:56

triplex iam curious how your gui system is based? is it based entirely on panels? or do you use external functionality somehow?

when i made a very simple menu using the panel system from a6 it was so.... well i wouldnt want to do that again

Re: Game-Edit, update - 04/14/06 14:19

triplex iam curious how your gui system is based? is it based entirely on panels? or do you use external functionality somehow?

It's based on panels and on the fantastic skills of SFMAT4
Yes it's a bit compilcated to design the whole menue with panels and panel functions, but after some familiarisation-time it's only "write-work"

Game Edit - Beta Tester needed - 04/14/06 22:55

Beta-Testers

I'm searching 2-3 beta-testers with much experiences in 3D-Gamestudio.
You have to be a beta-tester of 3D-Gamestudio.
Generally I need the following 3 system configurations:

1) CPU: Athlon 1000 - 1400; Pentium 1200-1600
Adapter: Geforce 1 - 2; Very old Radeon
RAM: 128-256 MB
Win: 98-2k;

2) CPU: Athlon 1000 - 1400; Pentium 1200-1600
Adapter: Geforce 1 - 2; Very old Radeon
RAM: 128-256 MB
Win: XP

3) CPU: Athlon 2100 - 2400; Pentium 2000-3k
Adapter: Geforce 4; Mid-Class Radeon
RAM: 512 MB
Win: XP / 2k / 98

please pm me,
best wishes

TripleX

Re: Game Edit - Beta Tester needed - 04/30/06 13:02

Hi,
welche Version braucht man denn mindestens um Game-Edit verwenden zu können?
Du hast bereits ab Extra Version gesagt. Aber genügt 1.0 oder braucht man 3.4 oder was auch immer?

MFG Dark_samurai

Re: Game Edit - Beta Tester needed - 04/30/06 13:09

Hey Dark,

Grundsätzlich bemühe ich mich, dass GameEdit bereits ab der Standard Edition, natürlich eingeschränkt, läuft.
Allerdings wirst du dann natürlich auf ein paar Features wie z.B. Material Bearbeitung usw. verzichten müssen!

mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Timo

Re: Game Edit - Beta Tester needed - 04/30/06 19:52

Aha, und kann man dein Programm dann auch zum neuerstellen von Levels nutzen, oder kann man sie nur editieren? Also das man z.B.: ein terrain basierendes Level total mit Game-Edit erstellen könnte?

MFG Dark_samurai

Game-Edit Update? - 06/03/06 19:00

Any information on how this project is progressing? Any idea when non-beta testers will able to check it out?

Re: Game-Edit Update? - 06/06/06 13:17

Bump.
Posted By: AndyH

Re: Game-Edit, news - 06/07/06 19:59

Quote:

Oh joy, now we will get your fantastic work in 2009

Hahahahahaha, who wants to borrow my super accurate crystal ball? !

C4

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/27/06 21:42

I just want to pretend all rumors that the development of GameEdit stopped. ATM GameEdit can be tested in the beta-forum and I'm really getting closer to the finish.

Sorry for the extrem delay. It was much more complicated as I thought.

Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 03:45

god, that looks sooo beautiful, and you said in the beginning that it wont be hard to incorperate into our script? thats wonderful.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 08:21

I suggest a text menu in the upper row, just like every windows application in addition to your iconized menu. I really feel uncomfortable working with it (current beta).
Posted By: FBL

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 09:21

Your forgot to translate "Skalieren"

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 12:46

@lostclimate I mean hard is relativ. Things you have to do:

1) Include Game Edit:
Code:

path "C:\\Programme\\Beta\\Map-Editor\\Scripts";
path "C:\\Programme\\Beta\\Map-Editor\\Hud Data";
path "C:\\Programme\\Beta\\Map-Editor\\Modelle";
resource "C:\\Programme\\Beta\\Map-Editor\\Scripts\\GEdit_Scripts.wrs";
include <material_editor.wdl>;

2) Init GameEdit in your main function
Code:

material_init();

Thats all

@Firo: fixed, thanks for the hint

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 13:30

How about writing a script doing all that stuff for you?
So you only need to include the gamedit.wdl which contains the path statements and a starter function.
Would be even easier - or are there any problems with this?

Just an idea...

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 13:40

Of course material_init(); Could be also a starter function.

Than only the Paths, The Resource Statement and the Include Statement lasts.
The user have to write the paths, because of course every User installs 3D-Gamestudio in other directorys.

Actually all code you see is only in order to get the include statement working..

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 13:50

Quote:

It was much more complicated as I thought.

what were the biggest complications? just curious...

it looks very promising now! very polished!

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 14:04

The most complicated thing was the Save/Load system of GameEdit (Actually sometimes it may be still a problem). Why? Pretty easy. I don't have ANY influence into the WMP and $$M format. That means I have to write and parse the WMP / $$M 100% correctly. If I would wrote an own file format I could have often used easier ways (no object groups like in the WMP format, less information - paths! - etc.).

A second big problem is simply said C-Script. In C++ you could parse a big WMP (3MB +) file at once (because of local strings, delete/new instructions etc.). I have to split the WMP file into 50KB chunks. This will result into new problems (The WMP file itself consits of Object Cunks). If I split a file into 50kb chunks I can not say if after 50KB there is a block I would have to read.

A I forgot.. The 3rd problem is that I often have to think around 4 corners. Why? Because I'm not allowed to change ANYTHING of the User-Objects / Map etc. if he don't want me to do this. I'm not allowed to Save temporary data into skills, because they might be filled. I'm not allowed to temporary change some Material information, because they might be filled with some other information.

There are many many other problems.. but okay

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 14:13

Quote:

The user have to write the paths, because of course every User installs 3D-Gamestudio in other directorys.

Isn't it possible to use relative paths?

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 15:04

Sadly no. Only if you want to Copy the 20MB GameEdit folder in every of your Project folders.

BTW. If you have a look into the Template include Script you'll see the same. Because you need this absolute 3D-Gamestudio Path of every User.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 15:29

Strange... I can use path "..\\template" to access the templates folder so I wonder why this isn't possible with gameedit.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 15:37

This works if your Project is a subfolder of your 3D-Gamestudio folder.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 17:26

Ok, that's right

Up to now I assumed that was pretty much necessary.

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 21:07

wow that is simple, and ther is now way something else in the game may screw it up?

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 21:11

@lostclimate:

1) ALL (entity) functions of your Game are stopped if GameEdit starts (will be restored when you quit GameEdit)
2) ALL key-assignments are removed (on_1 etc.) and replaced with the key-assignments of GameEdit.

So what the heck in your game has the chance to screw GameEdit up?

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/28/06 23:53

nice, you really covered all your issues... great job then, at least i wont have to rewrite half my code, to add this in. .
Posted By: Lion_Ts

Re: Game-Edit, news - 08/29/06 00:18

TripleX, I bow to your skill. As well as everyone, I look forward for this magnificent thing.

Re: Game-Edit, Manual (German) - 08/30/06 14:03

For germans, the german manual: http://www.hawkgames.de/GameEdit/GameEdit.htm (havn't done a read-after-write check, so don't judge this manual. There might be some strange verbalisations )

If someone want to translate the Manual.. Just say sth

Re: Game-Edit, Manual (German) - 08/31/06 15:12

Okay, new features. You can now save / load / reset entity settings. Example:

You have a box in one level with specific entity settings (flare / bright etc.), and you want to assign the same settings to 10 boxes in another level. This is easily possible with this function (everything except transformation-parameters is saved).
With the reset function you can reset all entity settings to the last save-point.
This weekend there will be the next beta-test. I hope then my feeling that GameEdit is relativly stable now will be confirmed than

best wishes
Timo Stark
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: Game-Edit, Manual (German) - 09/01/06 03:50

Hiya.

I'm not sure if this has been asked/requested, but...

For moving objects (trees, barrols, houses, etc.) around in the editor, you have a typical XYZ 'gizmo'. Would it be possible to add more 'options' to it? Basically, to be able to move in 2 axis, or scale all, 1 or 2 axis, rotate, etc.? For an example of this, look at the manipulator Hexagon2. Here's what it looks like and what it does...:

Posted By: D3D

Re: Game-Edit, Manual (German) - 09/06/06 09:51

Didn't even knew about this project so it's a real nice suprise and amazing looking work. Hope it will be available soon

Dusty

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 09/12/06 09:22

Added a new menue-bar for faster accessing of important features. Additionally I added snapping for the Transformation of Entities.

I'll release the 4th beta in the beta forum in the following days.

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 09/12/06 10:09

hey nice designe TribleX.
The Toolbar is cool

gg nicolas
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 09/12/06 13:36

Hi TripleX,

wird die Beta jedem frei zugämglich sein und mit jeder Version (A6 Extra, Com ,Pro) kompatibel?

cYa Angel
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 09/12/06 13:43

die beta ist nur für betatester von 3dgs. und soweit ich weis wird gameedit ein teil von 3dgs sein, und somit beim nächsten release (irgendwo bei A6 denke ich) mit dabei sein und wohl nichts extra kosten. wenn ich das richtig verstanden habe.

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 09/12/06 13:46

Nein kosten meinte ich net wollte nur Wissen ob auch Alle versionen damit Kompatibel sind da ich nur die A6 Extra habe

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 09/12/06 14:05

Angel: Selbst wenn Sie auch für die Extra laufen wird, kannst Du ja vermutlich gerade mal Objekte damit verschieben, rotieren und in die Level setzen.

Die tollen Features wie Bemalen von Terrain, Verändern von Materialien, Unterstützung von Shadern u.v.m. gehen vermutlich nur mit der Com und Pro,
weil ja nur diese Versionen Materialien unterstützen.

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 09/12/06 14:11

Gut dann habe ich ja dochn grund zur Com zuwechseln ^^

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 09/12/06 17:20

do you still have the steep beta testing requirements, or is the beta any easier to get yet?
Posted By: Thomas_Nitschke

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 09/13/06 14:04

I believe the requirements for becoming a beta tester have not changed a bit... but they aren't steep at all, imho
Just have a mail to JCL and describe what you've done with 3dgs so far, what you're capable of etc. and chances are pretty good he'll "let you in" - if he doesn't, well... asking never does any harm, does it?

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 09/13/06 14:09

well im saying beta testing for map-edit, but if thre requirement for that are the same then i believe your need to have beta tested for 3dgs anyways..... i should write a tutorial and use that to show that i am worthy of being a beta-tester.

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 10/13/06 10:25

Two questions :

this is more than one year GameEdit is in dev.
what could be the estimated time in months for it t obe delivered at us ?
will it be integrated to 3DGS ( bought by conitec already ??) ?
Posted By: Iron Chancellor

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 10/13/06 11:44

Quote:

Angel: Selbst wenn Sie auch für die Extra laufen wird, kannst Du ja vermutlich gerade mal Objekte damit verschieben, rotieren und in die Level setzen.

Die tollen Features wie Bemalen von Terrain, Verändern von Materialien, Unterstützung von Shadern u.v.m. gehen vermutlich nur mit der Com und Pro,
weil ja nur diese Versionen Materialien unterstützen.

Materials erstellen und verwenden kann man mit der Extra schon, allerdings kann man Shader erst ab der Com benutzen

Re: Game-Edit, New Toolbar. - 10/13/06 12:39

Triple X :

Conitec has realeased a patch :
but no trace of gameEdit in it ???

in previous Posts you said :

"Game.Edit COULD replace WED if you build up your level out of entities. Block Creation with GameEdit isn't planed so far (tough it would be a nice feature of course)
"when is it published, how mush is it, where can i download it? "
1) the conitec version will be published in the next 1-2 months.
2) The GameEdit Version by me will be published around 2 months later.
3) There's no price until now.
4) You'll be able to download it after you bought it
TripleX "

So what is doing Conitec ?

When will you have an official site for GameEdit ?

I'll buy it for sure !

(it's really what lakcs to 3DGS and what Conitec team isn't able to do !
they should hire you , and at high price ! )

GameEdit: What's going on - 11/08/06 22:44

Hello,

At first I want to answer the most important question: Why is the development of GameEdit taking so long? The main problem is the save/load system of GameEdit. It's REALLY difficult to read/write an extern format (even if it's ascii) - wmp and $$M - with c-script commands in a pretty fast way.
It took me about 3 months to get this system bug-free and working.
Tough there are some bad-points: 1) speed (~20 seconds for a big level), 2) upwards/downwards compatibility 3) BUGS
I hope you can understand that I just can not take the responsibility for a bug in the save-system that causes 1000s of maps to be destroyed.
Of course this would be a worst case, but it's possible.
That's why the development of the Save/Load system took that long.

Now after three months I got a DLL of Conitec for Loading/Saving WMP/$$M Files, because of upwards/downwards compatibility.
I've tested this DLL. Results? 1)Bugs are not possible anymore (and if so they are the one of conitec ) 2) speed is fast (0.5 seconds for a big level => 400% faster loading), 3) upwards/downwards compatibility for ever

You might ask why I'm not happy? I'm thinking and worrying about the last 3 months. About all the testing I've made. All the nerves lost in this damn save code (WED: Invalid line:XXX got my "best" friend ).

But okay I'm now some experiences richer.I'm a young developer and maybe somedays I'll learn to ask my employer before if they have a better system than I can program in a long time.
You wont have to fear now that GameEdit will destroy your map. You will enjoy 400% faster loading times (as I said, 0.5 seconds instead of 25 seconds for a level with 1500 entities) and saving times.
So overall a good development for GameEdit (and for you), an annoying experience for me )

So lets hope for a good end of the development now. Without bugs and with a good load/save system
I have to say sorry,
greetings,
Timo Stark
Posted By: broozar

Re: GameEdit: What's going on - 11/08/06 23:27

and i have to say: yay! yay for Timo and his team!

Re: GameEdit: What's going on - 11/08/06 23:56

Yes. A second yay from me. I appreciate your hard work very much and hope that you do not lose your passion.

Re: GameEdit: What's going on - 11/09/06 08:15

Quote:

But okay I'm now some experiences richer.I'm a young developer and maybe somedays I'll learn to ask my employer before if they have a better system than I can program in a long time.

You really shouldn't worry about that.
You chose a (imho) very difficult project and are about to finish it. So you're ahead of many many people here.

Re: GameEdit: What's going on - 11/09/06 12:09

Top notch and great work indeed.

When can we hope to find your product to be available ?
Lot of us will use it ,instead of WED indeed , and it's the tool
that will change totally 3DGS for people buying your product ,
More all people would must be forced to buy it

Any new cool screenshots about what is going on ?
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: GameEdit: What's going on - 11/09/06 13:04

wie lange warten wir schon sehnsüchtig drauf?!?
sieht echt geil aus. das wird ep3 sicher noch toppen, obwohl ep3 schon ein super tool und kaum mehr wegzudenken ist

big gratz
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: GameEdit: looking good - 11/19/06 12:26

This is a really great project and I'm looking very forward for it...

One question.. I got this from the forecast page

Quote:

Interactive Game Editor (in development / in alpha test)
Place objects, edit multitexture terrain, and customize template scripts while running them with the engine. This way parameters can be directly adjusted at runtime and have immediate effect in the game.

I assumed that's about GameEdit.. I'm really interested about that customizing template scripts feature using game-edit's panel.. have you started on that yet? can you show any pics? Can you only edit customizable scripts applied to models(changing their skills only), or for the scripts as well?(just like the customize option in the Resources Tab in WED, where the actual wdl file is changed)..
Ok one more question.. if you do all that, are you keeping the same format as WED customizable panels, or have you and doug worked on a few more flexible features like Expand/Collapse Group for big panels, panels in panels(you click on Weapon 1.. you get a new panel showing all options available for that weapon only.. still customize the same script though), cool stuff like that that may get us on par with GUIs in other engines..

Really looking forward for this.. all the success.. and take your time
Aris

Re: GameEdit: looking good - 11/19/06 15:49

Template-Edtor: Actually this is a Script-Modifier. With the Code you can change WDL's and test the result in realtime (the realtime actualizing of the changed variables/strings hasn't been programmed yet - must be done with a dll by doug/wladimier) Example:

Code:
Code:

// enable: print "debug output" for player on screen?
// id: 1
// define TRIGGER00_DEBUG;

//....

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
// section: Passive Icon #1

// entry: Bitmap
// id: 14
bmap trigger00_picon1_bmp = <icon1.pcx>;

//etc.

The code needn't be a template code. You only have to use the WDLV standards (as listed in the manual - comment tags).

The WDL is dynamically change. As I said, in futur the var's will be also change in the engine.

best wishes,
Timo Stark
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: GameEdit: looking good - 11/19/06 16:51

Excellent..

so i guess you're using the same window as from WED. I was kinda hoping you'd parse the wdl files yourself or maybe use the feedback from Doug's dll to create your own GUI for it, so you could possible make them a bit prettier and more flexible.

With a few options in everything's fine, but you can start seeing how bulky they can get in Doug's weapons00.wdl where there are 18 weapons to configure.

In my panels, i enable users to input their own sound filenames for things that AI agents may scream every once in a while. I support 8 different voices with 20 different phrases each and 3 variations for each phrase. Here's the results..

watch the scrollbar.. it goes down forever.. there's even a limit that prevents move than a number of fields to be displayed in a panel.

I know this is something i should be talking to Doug about, but i was thinking that since gameEdit will most probably be the engine's cool new way to make levels, you'd want to improve that part as well. Although i find the idea of having those panels edit the wdl files directly a bit unorthodox, right now it's the only feature we got to link designers with programmers(so a non-programmer can actually create a good game). With the combination of GameEdit and a bit more flexible version of those panels, gamestudio gets a good chance to actually become as user friendly as FPS Creator for someone who doesn't program.

well, just my thoughts.. keep up the good work
Aris
Posted By: GS_Raphael

Re: GameEdit: looking good - 11/19/06 17:52

Junge junge - du bist einfach ein fantastischer a6-programmierer - die community kann froh und stolz darauf sein, dich an bord zu haben!!

ich hoffe dein leveleditor wird fertig und hält was er verspricht, unser derzeitiges projekt kriegt die macken des wed leider viel zu oft zu spühren,
so das ich unbedingt gebrauch von deinem tool machen würde!!
ich hoffe die conitecs erkennen es dir an, dass du mit deinen fantastischen erweiterungen die community für die arbeit mit dem 3dgs motivierst,
schließlich hast du ja schon mit ep ein absolut geniales und sehr oft
verwendetes a6-tool geschaffen.

vielen dank, für deine mühen!!!

GameEdit: Video - 11/29/06 15:28

A small video showing the workflow with GameEdit: http://www.hawkgames.de/GameEdit_Video.rar

A bit big (18MB), sorry.. (1280*1024 resolution.. I know 800*600 would be enough, but I don't have the time to redo this video atm..)

Re: GameEdit: Video - 11/29/06 15:48

Thanks for the info!

Re: GameEdit: Video - 11/29/06 16:04

Sorry, but I don´t remember: Has your tool a group function?

And can it use the 3DGS pro physics to place objects. I am asking that because: We were building a fruit cup at school. And there is nothing as shitty as placing the fruits into the cup. With physics that would save hours.

Re: GameEdit: Video - 12/10/06 20:38

Hi TripleX, congrats on your milestones and seeing this project thru (...not that you dont on any of course...)and a big YAY to both you and Conitec for Game Edit.
This Tool will save incredible amounts of dev time and give us the final tool for an all rounded suite, in game editing.
...of course I dont want to sound too demanding but...where is it???...please???...

Re: GameEdit: Video - 12/11/06 09:14

Hello,

at the moment we working hard to eliminate the bugs and increase the workflow and system stability.
And yes there is an "use physic" Button for easy object placing.

Regards
SF
Posted By: PrenceOfDarkness

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 12/19/06 00:38

Looking sexy, whats the price range going to be?

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 02/25/07 09:54

How is everything going with GameEdit?

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 02/26/07 15:50

C lite is coming , as well as engine features are increasing in each beta

I think the project is OVER now (too much things to handle) !

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 02/26/07 16:04

Quote:

@TheExpert: What do you think the "Interactive Game Editor" in Forecast is? It's GameEdit. Unless something behind the scenes has changed, this program is going to become the official 3DGS realtime level editor.
Posted By: Excessus

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 02/27/07 10:37

Please, TehExpert, stop spreading FUD..

GameEdit is currently in betatest, TripleX's (who is still developing this) last reply on the beta forum was feb. 23, so he's still at it. I can tell you it's a great tool.
Posted By: taipan

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 02/27/07 11:28

well, the only button now missing is the "GENERATE AN ONLINE MMORPG INSTANTLY THAT LOOKS NICE" and a "SEND COMPLETE GENERATED GAME TO A LARGE GAME COMPANY"

Just kidding, it looks awesome so good luck with everything
Posted By: bstudio

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 02/27/07 14:39

seriously awesome tool.
@TheExpert:
you really need to lay down on the immediately flaming other peoples work or software. It's really noticeable that it's always coming from your side.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 02/27/07 20:20

Quote:

The last lines are convertet now to C lite.

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 05/24/07 10:48

Hello, may I ask how is the development of GameEdit going?

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 05/24/07 20:46

Its gonig into A7 and according to the beta page, is under development still.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 05/25/07 10:43

what the adress of the beta site?

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 05/25/07 11:08

Link top of the page.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 05/25/07 11:19

ok thx

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 06/13/07 21:00

Is GameEdit gone for good? I was really hoping it would make it into A7

Again...from TUSC till dawn...but never saw the light of day

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 06/13/07 21:05

At the forecast they wrote it is at 60 percent. So it might need another year until completion

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 06/13/07 21:08

60 Percent?? oO I think they would release it if A7 released...

cYa Sebastian

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 06/13/07 21:27

I used the last CScript beta which had some serious issues - then Timo converted it into a Lite-C application. But I dunno where he is..

Re: Map-Editor first official screens - 06/18/07 16:59

before including lite c we are at a last Beta status. But now i dont know where Timo is....

GameEdit - News - 09/11/07 22:05

Hey,

1) The project is not dead
2) I apologize for the long programming pause. It was a big big big motivation gap. I'm sorry for that.
3) In the next 2 days (yes a date i can say ), I'll release a Game-Edit beta for Gamestudio Beta-Tester, which will be in a much better status than in the lasts beta tests.
4) In the next weeks (no date ), I'll release the Lite-C Version. There already exists one, but it's much too slow.

5) Next to the 3DGS Beta-Testers it would make me happy if there are 2 persons out there, who have to the time for serious beta-testing (also accept some crashs, don't stop testing after 5 minutes). Please write me a pm!!!

6) A trailer of GameEdit: http://www.hawkgames.de/GameEdit_Trailer.rar (the video is very amateueric. Music is by Oliver2s )

7) new features:
Shadow generator (do you have any wishes for a shadow generator i didn't included in this interface?) - Shadowcolor = suncolor

paint on shadowmap:

main feature: less bugs

Last features that are planed (no more feature promises - I'm working for a release atm): Shadow generator recognizes alpha textures of models (especially important for tree models) and - maybe if possible - sprites.
bye,
Timo
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: GameEdit - News - 09/11/07 22:42

Great to hear from you and your project!
Keep it up!

Re: GameEdit - News - 09/12/07 07:27

Cool, all very good news, thanks.

Re: GameEdit - News - 09/12/07 07:55

Hi Timo,

great video and great tool. It looks really promising and I admire the huge amout of work that you put into this project.

I have just one little idea: the splash screen shows a head model. Why not showing a wire frame of a terrain or an indoor instead. It would fit more to GameEdit.

I hope you can solve the Lite-C issues. Whish you all the best,
Frank

Re: GameEdit - News - 09/13/07 19:47

Hey,

Okay I released the latest beta of GameEdit in the beta forum. Have fun while testing. For the rest. A screenshot of a giantic splitted terrain (lol okay only 2x2 terrains, because I don't have any repeatable textures here :X - you can generate over 128x128 terrains - more than 100 times bigger as in the screenshot). Size-comparing: a relativly big palm.

I suggest to use a 4096*4096 heightmap (split heightmap option) and repeatable skins for really big terrains sets (64x64 terrains e.g. would than mean a 64x64 px heightmap for every terrain).

best wishes,
Timo

Re: GameEdit - News - 09/13/07 19:56

Looks/Sounds really Great

cYa Sebastian
Posted By: Ghost

Re: GameEdit - News - 09/13/07 20:49

Great work TripleX! Thank you for your efforts.

Re: GameEdit - News - 09/13/07 22:23

Good thing you're still working on this, the c-script version should work with A6.60 too, right?

Cheers

Re: GameEdit - News - 09/13/07 22:26

Yes Works fine with A6.6. Its a great tool , easy too use !

cYa Sebastian
© 2024 lite-C Forums