New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed

Posted By: Dan Silverman

New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/23/03 05:15

Its been a long time coming, but a new level design tutorial for 3D GameStudio should be completed soon (read: in about a week). Here are the topics we will cover in the tutorial:

Working with WED
- The WED Work Space
- Setting Up Short Cuts
- Working with WED's Views
- WED's Grid System

Plotting and Planning
- The Beginning
- Deciding the Genre
- Doing Research

Getting Started
- Using Snapping
- Start Simple
- Duplicating
- Rotating
- Vertex, Edge and Face Move

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
- Bigger is Not Always Better
- Using Texture Scaling
- Color Coordinating Your Textures

... And more.

Each section will have tips, tricks and things to avoid and why. This is intended as a tutorial for the beginner and intermediate level builder alike. Images will be shown throughout the tutorial to help solidify ideas and concepts and a demo level/game will be included with the tutorial. The images within the tutorial will be from the small, two level game so that the examples are from a real project. I will attempt to walk you through what I do when I create levels.

Some shots from the project (many of you have seem them before, though):

Posted By: Grimber

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/23/03 05:18

This will be great thanks for all the hard work your putting into this Dan

Posted By: ventilator

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/23/03 05:23

will this also include the tutorial for the new templates?
Posted By: Nems

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/23/03 05:42

Very very coool Dan, I have been hanging out for
your tutorial and seeing your example screens again
is a big moral boost for the inspiration,
Thats how I's like my levels to look.
Cheers,
Posted By: rbetchoo

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/23/03 21:30

This is what newbies like me are waiting for! Tutorials with concrete examples will definitely help everyone and make 3DGS even more popular... Keep it up.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/23/03 22:43

I am adding more to the tutorial even now. The next section (after "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words") is all about lighting your level:

Let it Shine
- Using Light

This section alone includes four tips on lighting:

- Rarely Use Pure White Lights
- Use Soft Lights
- Set a Basic Level Ambience
- Rarely Use Sunlight

More to come!
Posted By: bupaje

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/24/03 03:16

Looking forward to it Dan. Your stuff looks great as always. Not sure if it is in the plans but if not a small section on effects would be cool -just a few of the steam leaking from a pipe variety to add atmosphere.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/24/03 03:35

Hi Burt,

The tutorial for Conitec is not about effects or coding at all. It is strictly a level design tutorial. In other words, we are covering the basics of how to use WED to make your 3D image in your mind beceom a "reality" in 3DGS.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/24/03 03:44

The section on Lighting is completed and now I must move on to the last section of the tutorial: It's The Little Things that Count.

This section will be all about adding details that really add to the overall atmosphere of the game.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/24/03 04:15

so in otherwords the tut is all about using WED to build your level to get the most of it prior to adding script work correct?

hope so , I'm sure myself and others are realy missing out on what we can do pull out of WED itself.

Posted By: Mr Wurm

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/24/03 06:14

One eager soon-to-be Leveldesigner waiting for this tutorial to come out. Looking great so far!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/24/03 15:36

Hi Grimber,

You got it ... for the most part. There is more than using WED, though. The tutorial even covers things like doing research for your level or project, color matching textures and other such things. The bulk of the tutorial, though, is about actually building a level itself. It is NOT a step-by-step guide on how to recreate the level I show in the images. It IS a guide to the processes I went through to build it with additional tips, tricks and such things that should help you in building any level for any genre.

Posted By: Migueljb01

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/25/03 00:09

Hey Dan I was wondering if you were gonna talk about or could you talk about map entities and how they help out the level portal wise. Also the only problem for me with map entities is they help out with portals but the only thing is why are they affected by the sun? They always come out to dark in the level is there any way around this to match with the original level geometry. If let's say the level is indoors where the sun cannot get to then how can you light up the map entitie? Thanks.

-spider21

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/25/03 00:32

While I will not be addressing portals in the tutorial, I will indeed be addressing getting map entities to match normal level geometry and the use of 3DGS' Sun (or not using it ).
Posted By: in_christ

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/25/03 01:39

I've been waiting for this along time it seems , It sounds like a great tut with
the info you shared so far , Just what i needed to make better levels. Thanks dan.
Posted By: AlexGFX

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/25/03 04:16

Hi Dan, for the most part this tutorial looks to be great. I can't wait to see what can be done after reading it but....will this be usfull for every edition?
seeing as lighting will be no prob in a6 for any user.. but what about a5 users with std or extra? O_o

TMK

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/25/03 05:05

Quote:

but what about a5 users with std or extra?

This is a tutorial made for Conitec to release for free with A6. As such, it will be mostly for those that use A6 (i.e the section on colored lighting). Still, about 95% of the tutorial is valuable to any version of A4/5/6.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/25/03 05:06

BTW - The written tutorials are completed. Now I am formatting them so they can be made into Help Files and I am proof reading them. There are many images included in the tutorials as well.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/25/03 05:10

So it should be ready in a few days?

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/25/03 05:18

I am hoping to have the tutorial and demo game (small, two levels) ready by the end of the week. It is up to Conitec as to when they release it, though I assume that will be very soon.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/25/03 05:21

Oh so we have to wait for conitec to release it before we can read? O_o heh
Posted By: pocorev

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 11/30/03 23:25

i'm looking forward to getting my hands on this Dan... thanks.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 12/05/03 17:35

The written tutorial is done, but the demo level needs a little scripting work before release. It may be a week or two before Conitec can release it.
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 12/06/03 10:02

Keep the good job!
Posted By: BHoltzman

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 12/06/03 15:38

Dan, would you say that your tutorial shows the same work and teaching style that is found in 3AM? I've been meaning to buy a few issues just to check it out, but if I can get a taste of it with this tutorial then I can make an informed decision of whether 3AM works for me.

Posted By: duhnu

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 12/07/03 04:25

Where will we find this exactly?

will u just post a link?
Posted By: BHoltzman

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 12/07/03 12:07

@Sand_Man, where will we find the tutorials? I think that conitec will put them up soon. My guess is that they will be in the downloads page. But they may also be in the forums. However, the important part for today is that they're not released yet.

I'm eagerly watching this thread since I really love Dan's work.
Posted By: muyoyo

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 12/13/03 21:39

Level design guide might be cool:D Dan,i search the forum and i found out about ur texture baking level,i also used max,i want to ask that if i bakes let say simple cude with different pic on each side will the wed remember the texture alignment or it nedd to be adjust in wed

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 12/13/03 22:43

Quote:

i want to ask that if i bakes let say simple cude with different pic on each side will the wed remember the texture alignment or it nedd to be adjust in wed

I use a script called MAX2GS (you can find out about it from a link on the Downloads page) that exports from MAX to 3D GameStudio's format. If you get that script then you can create and texture in MAX and export, keeping all texture coordinates in place. In fact, the geometry will come into MAX fully textured as the script creates a WAD file for you as well.

To all others:

The tutorial is finished, but the demo level that goes with it is still being worked on. There are some scripting errors that are being worked through.
Posted By: in_christ

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 12/14/03 04:23

Good news dan thanks for the update.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 12/17/03 06:50

The tutorial is completed (text and basic images) and has been sent to JCL for preview and translation into German. In the mean time I will be making it look nicer than text with images.

The demo is just about completed. We are working through some coding issues first (mostly collision related).
Posted By: fineform

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 12/17/03 08:41

Aaaah!
Just what I need!
General clues about WED design issues are needed - its Ok to jump straight into modeling, but I was concerned that I would do a whole lot of modeling BADLY.
I have been bugging people to get some clues on avoiding early mistakes on my level. I am trying to optimise portal count and fps etc since the level/s will as big and detailed as possible.
So far I've concluded that sprites are a good choice, and that prefabs are nasty. It seems better to build mini-levels and insert them into your main level. So far I have not even attempted to compile with high qual lighting, it's going to take all day!
Are you just covering "indoor" scenes? Seems the terrain and sky issues are a big issue for beginners (like me). Especially how to get realism with skybox background and nearby geometry.
Also texture issues - whether you can save fps/memory by re-using textures, recommended textures resolutions (256 or 512), pros & cons of pcx,bmp & tga, how to use alpha etc etc.
(Maybe some of this is answered in other tutorials)'
Look forward to seeing this tutorial!
Thanks Dan
Tim

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/07/04 06:43

How much long? I can't wait anymore. I need to see it!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/07/04 14:38

The tutorial is completed in English and translated into German. The demo level that goes along with it is still being worked on (on Conitec's end). Once some template script bugs are worked out we can release this.
Posted By: al1

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/08/04 04:22

I will have liked to also begin the translation in French. I asked to have the English version a few weeks ago but I never had answer!
Posted By: sboyette

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/09/04 23:57

Eagerly Awaiting..

This looks wonderful
Posted By: Locke

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/23/04 06:29

Wow. Looks really cool, cant wait till u release it. Unless u already have an i just dont know about it.
Posted By: Ix

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/23/04 20:44

Where can i get this tutorial?

greetz, daniel
Posted By: Drittz_Dourden

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/24/04 00:32

Quote:

Where can i get this tutorial?

greetz, daniel

it's not out yet, but hoipefully soon it will be .
Posted By: mccow28

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/26/04 11:37

cool

Posted By: langley

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/26/04 19:08

In Antwort auf:

cool

cool
Posted By: Helghast

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/28/04 04:15

Is the tut allready finished and done with the level?
i cant wait to do the tutorial

regards

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/28/04 05:30

The tutorial is completely written and has been handed over to Conitec (and they were getting it translated into Germen ... which may be completed already for all I know). The demo level was a small, two level game. It is not completed yet. There were a few scripting issues that I have to work through yet.

Sorry for the delay.
Posted By: RAFU

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/28/04 05:38

You should be sorry Dan! You said 1 week, and that was a month ago! I mean that takes some nerve.. I mean 2 years ago when I said that the Vain demo would be done in 1 week we deliverd it on... o wait.. its still not done! I think I will shut up now
Lol, can't wait to give this demo game a run!!
Posted By: Virtual_User

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/29/04 09:46

Hey RAFU does that mean that Vain is or isn't going into public beta next month? (just kidding)

I can't wait to read this tutorial as well.

Also RAFU, I stumbled across Vain and I can't wait to try it out, looking forward to that as well.
Posted By: b_102373

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 01/29/04 14:30

Great work dan on the tutorial.

Cant wait to see it when it comes out.
Posted By: Alkai

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/04/04 03:22

I'm chomping at the bit in anticipation of this tutorial... any word at all from Conitec on an expected release date?

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/05/04 20:26

They're waiting on me now. I have to complete the demo level that goes with it. Getting there ... getting there ...

Sorry this has taken so long.
Posted By: cbw

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/12/04 01:42

Looks good to me Dan, can't wait (cause Orb is really falling behind due to lighting, any help we can get is greatly appreciated )
Posted By: Hoylomok

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/12/04 05:58

I am looking forward to it!! I am not new to game creation in general but am fairly new to A6 (Use to have A4 a long time ago). I am sure your tutorial will be of great use and help to many of us and I can't wait until it is finally completed. Again, thanks.
Posted By: robertternes

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/12/04 21:40

Can you tell us, when the tutorial will be available on Conitec's DownloadPage? In one or two weeks? In a month?

Kannst du uns bitte mitteilen, wann genau dieses Tutorial auf der Downloadpage von Conitec zu haben sein wird? Ich kanns garnicht mehr abwarten
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/13/04 05:03

Dan doesn't understand German (including me) but if you'd read the previous posts, then you will see that Dan will be finishing the demo and will submit the demo to Conitec. And so, if I am right, Conitec will have the new tutorial and the demo in the download page. And if I am correct, Conitec will have the tutorial/demo about 2 weeks or about a month.

Be patient.
Posted By: mperdue

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/13/04 12:34

Quote:

Be patient.

How much patience do we need to have? It's been almost 3 months since we were told it will be done in about a week.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/13/04 15:03

Dan is a awsome level designer, a artist like no other.. if it takes him a while to get the demo complete and at 100% that is fine by me. i can't wait to see the demo and perhaps learn some of the tips and tricks he has used to create awsome levels. So if it takes him a while to complete this be patiant.. the longer the wait the better.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/13/04 23:13

Quote:

Dan is a awsome level designer, a artist like no other.. if it takes him a while to get the demo complete and at 100% that is fine by me. i can't wait to see the demo and perhaps learn some of the tips and tricks he has used to create awsome levels. So if it takes him a while to complete this be patiant.. the longer the wait the better.

I don't question Dan's ability to put together a great tutorial; I'm looking forward to its release like many others here. But the questions about release date are valid and I don't think it's fair to dismiss them with "be patient." Like you, I'm content to wait, mostly because my project is not being hindered by the tutorial's release.

I'm sure Dan's level design tips will help me with my final product, but I really think he jumped the gun with his announcement last November.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/14/04 01:30

Yep. I jumped the gun. Several things happened:

1 - The tutorial was written and completed, but the demo level was not completed.
2 - There were a few problems with template scripts and Doug had to revisit them. I had to wait on corrections.
3 - In the mean time I received other projects from clients and began to work on them and then I had to "fit" the demo back into my schedule.

There are other reasons as well, but we are almost there ... almost there ... almost ...

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/14/04 01:51

Quote:

Yep. I jumped the gun. Several things happened:
[snip]

It happens to everyone sooner or later. I've found that the following procedure works pretty well for setting delivery dates.

Take the time you feel is the worst case then bump it up to the next common unit of measure and multiply by 2. So, if you're worst case esitmate is 2 weeks then weeks becomes months and 2 becomes 4 so you tell the customer 4 months.

Posted By: qwerty823

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/14/04 03:10

Thats all too funny, since thats the general rule of thumb for software estimates (not really, but jokingly it is).

To go a little off topic, this rule is carried forward when the estimate goes "up the chain of command" as well.

My manager asks how long something will take, and I think, "I can do this in a day", so applying the rule, i tell him 2 weeks.

He has to report this to his manager, our director, and following the rule, he tells him, 4 months.

Now of course, this needs to go up to our divisions VP, and again following the rule, he tells him 8 years.

Of course the VP is furious, and what would have been a simple change, gets canceled.
Posted By: Virtual_User

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/14/04 03:38

8 years!!!! LAUGHING!!!!! Yep I have seen this in action too!

It worked really nicely when there was only one layer between myself and the CEO... something that would take me 2 weeks would get me 4 months of time allotment. Then I would ask my superior (luckily he was a friend) if I could just take my laptop and go to the beach to work on this so I could have a clear mind. Worked almost everytime!

Laughing that is sooooo funny but yes it is the unofficial rule of estimation for software development.

Oops continued off topic...

Dan I can't wait to see this tutorial too. I have been waiting and watching this thread... waiting and watching waiting and watching... I can wait though.

Anyone seen finding nemo? "Just keep swimming just keep swimming just keep swimming..."
Posted By: lazarus01

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/14/04 15:43

patience? PATIENCE!!?? Dan if you dont hurry up with the tut ill.....ill...well, ill pace the room frantically, then ill...ummm, go outside and kick over a trash can to vent my frustration. and then the garbage man will be frustrated, and he'll maybe dump a trash can on some poor fella's porch. and and it could be that that fellow works for the president and since hes frustrated with the trash on his porch he pushes the lil red button in the prez's office...so you see dan delaying this tut could have global repercussions. im not asking for myself here dan, im asking for the world.

LAZ

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/21/04 10:26

I bet Dan doesn't really have a tutorial...
(BTW This is Australian humoUr)
Tim

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/21/04 11:27

Man! You found me out! Now why did you have to go and tell everyone?!?

Posted By: JvsJ_MediaWorld

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/22/04 22:08

So there isn't any tutorial after all?!?

damn!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/22/04 22:20

Maybe there's a reason behind all this;

George's C script tutorials are so good nobody wants to post any more tutes...

(Now THAT was a jolly good tute, by George)

TIM

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/22/04 23:43

Quote:

So there isn't any tutorial after all?!?

It was a joke. There is, of course, a tutorial and a demo level. Just watch out for its soom release.
Posted By: Commander_Josh

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/23/04 06:53

Dan got of track for a while because he was hoping to do his levels in gS and teach us the how to's about that. Since that adventure didn't work out to well he's back working on this tutorial again (consider this Dutch humor --- not double dutch )

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/24/04 00:31

I'm not even going to go there! The last time I responded to humor in this thread someone thought I had cancelled the tutorial .

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/24/04 04:19

Quote:

I had cancelled the tutorial

You did!?!?!?! NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/24/04 05:31

Sigh ...
Posted By: vete

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/25/04 05:44

Hey Dan, (my nick is Amigo) I was waiting for this tutorial for a wile now... then i forgot about it, then remembered, and forgot again. Now i remember it:). It was a pretty long time now, i couldnt register with hotmail, So i was just waiting. I was waiting for so long, i started to make level without the tutorial, studying ur screens Anyways, i just waned to ask how is the progress?

Thanq.

Amigo
Posted By: JPD

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Completed - 02/25/04 22:27

Hey!!!!

The tutorial is on the download page.

Youpee!
Posted By: JPD

Re: Old Level Design Tutorial revamped - 02/25/04 22:32

Sorry,

It is the new packaging of old tutorial. The date misled me. Really sorry, ashamed, down, depressed, whatever you want.

-
-
-

Re: Old Level Design Tutorial revamped - 02/25/04 22:42

Here is the current plan:

- The written tutorial was completed a while ago and Conitec should have had it translated to German already
- The levels (two of them) are completed

Som what is left to do?

- Add in the enemy models and the item models
- Create the panel graphics

This should all be done by Monday (my plan) and then handed over to Conitec for final tweaking of code and to ensure the mini-game (two levels) works properly. Once they are done with it (a week or two? I cannot speak for them) then it will be released at their discretion.
Posted By: Firestorm

Re: Old Level Design Tutorial revamped - 02/27/04 18:34

Quote:

Once they are done with it (a week or two?

ok, 2008 it is

Just teasing ya, Conitec

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/28/04 03:55

Quote:

Sigh ...

Now that IS humour.

Stop posting and do your work Dan.

(Hey, you fellow jokers, (and those still learning) check out Dan's Basillica project on Showcase!) That stuff on models vs blocks, cracks and 3dMax has got me intrigued.

TIM

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/28/04 05:45

Quote:

Quote:

Sigh ...

Now that IS humour.

Stop posting and do your work Dan.

LOL You made me laugh.
Posted By: Yuneek_Keenuy

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/28/04 09:43

Í just dont see why weeks and weeks before you let us know this.
waiting was never one of my strongest features.

And by knowing your skills,i suppose this is one of the MOST PROFESSIONAL tutorials about design that exist.

AND,That it also talk about many points and not just some.
Like the gs-manual wich do not tell anything that a user wouldnt have know by himself.

Hills

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/28/04 13:45

can't wait to see this tutorial....

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/29/04 09:59

Hey dan, u said u have to put the enemies on the level, do mean u decided to write some custom scripts for enemies? Oh, and another question, How many portals is the avarage tunnel u make? I made one, it was ~700 portals, are urs same smaller or larger? Please tell me they are smaller...

Im gonna die in anticipation

P.S. I guess 2008 it is... im just gonna go die right now or something

VeTe

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 02/29/04 14:35

Dan doesn't know a lot of C-Script, if I'm correct.
Posted By: James_Burke

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/01/04 15:47

Quote:

Dan doesn't know a lot of C-Script, if I'm correct.

Your right, he sent the demo off to Conitec and I think that Doug or someone is doing the programming

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/01/04 20:28

The levels will go to Conitec today and Doug will be checking things over and finishing them off. On the other hand, the nice thing about the levels is that they all use ONLY the template scripts. So anyone could do the programming. This level, besides being part of a level design tutorial, is also sort of a test for the template scripts as well.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/03/04 04:03

The demo levels have been handed over to Conitec. Here is the splash screen you see when the demo level first loads:

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/03/04 04:47

Thanks Dan,we are almost there:D
Posted By: Doug

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/03/04 05:56

Quote:

Thanks Dan,we are almost there:D

It is in my hands now.
Time to get more coffee.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/03/04 06:10

Quote:

It is in my hands now.
Time to get more coffee.

You mean we need to get more coffee, cause if its in your hands.. its going to be a while
Posted By: Marcus729

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/03/04 11:29

Heck with coffee and while your at it spend less time responding to these messages on the forum. Get busy, we've been waiting a long time for this tutorial.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/03/04 13:44

Amazing Dan! This looks almost realistic!

Can't wait to take a look inside your level! LOL

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/04/04 01:18

so the release will be in less than a week???
Really hope so, cuz we've been waiting long enough now eh??

regards and good luck with the tut,

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/04/04 06:20

Quote:

so the release will be in less than a week???

-vs-
Quote:

You mean we need to get more coffee, cause if its in your hands.. its going to be a while

There are other elements outside even my control here. The main sticking point here is not the scripts (which I could do in a week if I stopped answering forum questions ) but collision.

Dan's level is complex enough that it is really giving our new collision code a good test. But, if everything goes as planned you should see this level released with the next public update of 3DGameStudio*.

* don't ask me when the next update of 3DGameStudio will be released.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/04/04 06:25

Quote:

Guess I'll be drinking lot's of coffee too now and sit back and wait for the next update. Just hope that this next update doesn't take too long, since I don't like coffee at all.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/04/04 13:45

Quote:

So when is the next public demo going to be ? lol. Anyway the level isn't the important part, it's the tutorial Why not just let us have the tutorial (for the time being) it could be a public beta of Dan's tutorial

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/04/04 13:59

good point. I think the demo is important 2, but the tutorial beta sounds really good. CAnt wait...

Amigo

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/04/04 15:04

The tutorial and the demo are one. The tips and tricks covered in the tutorial are used in the demo. This way you can, not only look at screen shots, but you can walk through the demo level and see the tips and tricks in action. Not only that, but all the resources from the demo (textures, etc) are free for you to use as you work your way through the tutorial.

So, be patient. It would really be best to release both together.
Posted By: tom_b

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/06/04 22:49

Ponders learning patience.... How long will that take?

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/07/04 00:25

it will take place when the new big major update from conitec is there(probably when A7 (maybe A100 )will be released).

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/07/04 02:38

Quote:

it will take place when the new big major update from conitec is there(probably when A7 (maybe A100 )will be released).

Since the demo is for A6 then I doubt that Conitec would wait to release then when A7 is out . This should be released with the next free update of A6.
Posted By: PurpleTaiters

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/07/04 07:23

Quote:

Since the demo is for A6 then I doubt that Conitec would wait to release then when A7 is out . This should be released with the next free update of A6.

--It will take even longer 'cause they'll make you redo it for A7!

Anyway, I'm really looking foward to your tutorial, I'm no good at level design.
<must...be...patient...urg...it hurts>

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/08/04 21:23

I am telling you,the tutorial SHOULD be out by this week or...mmm yeah,or i have to wait longer:D
Posted By: darrenlc

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/08/04 23:28

I wonder if the next update will entail the anxiously awaited octree culling along with Dan & Doug's masterful level design tutorial?

*Crosses fingers*
Posted By: mk_1

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 00:37

Forecast says its priority is medium so don't expect octree culling to be in the next update. Hope that it'll be in A6.
Posted By: darrenlc

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 00:51

I thought the forecast for it was high - last time I checked anyway. Also, I think you mean A7.

Grrr... it is medium - I just checked again. *Shakes head* Oh, well. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 01:04

It was high in the forecast, but it changed to medium

I do hope it will be implemented in A6, not A7.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 01:23

Quote:

i wonder if the next update will entail the anxiously awaited octree culling along with Dan & Doug's masterful level design tutorial?

Nope. I certainly want BSP removed from A6, but it has not been yet. As a matter of fact, I finished the level in the last official release (v6.2).

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 12:47

is it possible to make an unofficial release of this tutorial?

just wondering...

Amigo

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 14:41

No.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 16:47

IT'S OUT! On the downloads page, WED tutorial (I'm sure this is it, it has the screenshots and the same contents as Dan stated in the first post).

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 17:25

I must be blind. I don't see it on the downloads page.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 17:28

At the top, under the demo of A6, level design tutorial english, it now has both the new WED tutorial plus yours (It now says March 2004)

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 17:36

I see it now. I am downloading it to see if it is it.

Yep. That's it. Conitec combined mine with another's tutorial, so there is a lot of good information there.

Have fun with it. The demo level should be out soon, too.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 20:23

Dan, thanks a lot for this tutorial, I've read through it and it contains a lot of good information and advice. Well done, good job! Later on I'll apply some of the things mentioned in your tutorial in the level i'm currently working on.
Posted By: Don Pedro

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/09/04 22:34

Wish I had had this last spring when I started... Well doing things the hard way can be very educational
Anyway - looks great, lots of valuable information! I'm sure it makes life a lot easier for beginners (which I still am) and even for more advanced ones.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/10/04 01:33

Everything there is I already know... I hoped that there will be much more about the lightning, but these informations there I already know, too

Perhaps someone will release a Lightning Tut someday

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/10/04 15:37

I like it,especially info on memory conservation using textures,but i think it is too little...i expect more screenie,slecting textures for game mood(toony ambient(not shader just environment),serious game where u have lava,broken ladder),yes,lighting tips too although we should choose on our own atleast should us the great techniques,but overalll it is still worth it:D

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/10/04 18:16

I've finished reading (I skiped some parts ) I really like the theory part. Very helpful, although it reminds me a lot of some articles in 3AM

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/10/04 19:56

It should remind you of some of the articles in 3AM ... the same authore wrote them both .

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/11/04 04:29

I am confuse on texture memory conservation is it the file size of texture matter or the texture size itself...take a look here

http://www.slackiller.com/tommy14/tex-dimensions.htm

This is for HL but i am really confuse...can some1 tell me?

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/11/04 04:57

Quote:

I am confuse on texture memory conservation is it the file size of texture matter or the texture size itself...take a look here

It is not the file size of the texture itself. The same pixel sized image saved as a BMP, PCX and TGA will all be different sizes as far as file size is concerned (i.e. Kb). All three textures will consume the same amount of video memory, though. The texture will go through a conversion process so once the texture hits the video card it is not a BMP, PCX or TGA anymore. It is simply a (insert pixel size here) image and that is all.

I hope that helps a little.
Posted By: myrlyn68

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/11/04 05:20

Depending on a few things...

DDS format retains compression in video memory. Certain engines are able to utilize other compression methods for reducing the memory foot print as well. Currently with 3DGS, it does not support any compression methods - so a 512x512 texture will take up the same ammount of memory no matter what. Hopefully though they will add DDS support soon, as that can be of great help in reducing your overall memory load.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/11/04 05:56

That's very interesting, myrlyn... thanks for that tidbit of info...
Posted By: BlueFireV2

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/11/04 06:03

Yeah, very nice stuff. I wish there would also be a complete c-script tutorial with this kind of quality.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/11/04 13:29

very nice dan, can't wait to walk through the level .

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/11/04 15:21

ok i get it,file size only doesnt matter,it is the pixel size...so what it the most size use in game,256X256?or better keep 128X128?

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/11/04 15:55

Depends on which you want to target your audience to -- whether it br a low-end system, or a high-end system. And, that depends on whether the requirements will be higher or lower.

Also, most of the games like in Neverwinter Nights have a detail slider to adjust the resolution. Here's my thoughts on how this works:

Setting the detail slider to low will:

• set the resolution of a textures to a low resolution such as 64x64 or 128x128,
  • make the textures look less detailed,
  • take up less memory,
    [*[and will fit to a minimum of 4MB of video memory or more.

Setting the detail slider to medium will

• set the resolution of a textures to a medium resolution such between 128x128 to 256x256,
  • make the textures look more detailed than setting the detail slider to low,
  • take up more memory than having the detail slider set to low,
    [*[and will fit to a minimum of 8MB of video memory or more.

Setting the texture detail slider to medium will

• set the resolution of a textures to a high resolution such between 256x256 to 512x512,
  • make the textures look a lot more detailed than setting the detail slider to low,
  • take up more memory than having the detail slider set to low,
    [*[and will fit to a minimum of 16MB of video memory or more.

Generally, when you release a game, you should have a gamer set their texture detail slider to their liking -- whether a gamer has a low-end system or a high-end system. And in that case, you will need to setup a options panel with the slider before running a game starting script.

Anyway, I don't know how this will work as you might have to have seperate wmb files on whether a detail slider has been set to...probably something like:

lowdetaillevel1.wmb
lowdetaillevel1.wad
lowdetaillevel2.wmb
lowdetaillevel2.wad
highdetaillevel1.wmb
highdetaillevel1.wad
highdetaillevel2.wmb
highdetaillevel2.wad

I think this should help you out but this is just my thoughts about how are you going to target audience...
Posted By: al1

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/12/04 19:41

@Dan, Good work

The french version is online on the french's download page

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/13/04 06:51

The tutorial is nice, but i learned most of the technical stuff either through the manual, or by studying ur screenshots

Anyways, cant wait for the demo

Amigo

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/14/04 06:07

Darn it! I think that my computer can't read compressed html files or something 'cause when it open it (no matter what browser I use) all that i see is a bunch of meaningless gibberish and some file names. What do I do, I really want to see the tutorial!!!!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/21/04 11:43

So, does anybody know why the tutorial doesn't work for me?...

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/21/04 15:19

Did you try right-clicking on the file and selecting SAVE TARGET AS. Then, once downloaded, double clicking on the file to open it?

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/23/04 09:12

Yes that is what I did (in the internet explorer browser, not msn) because before when I just clicked on it it didn't work... oh well, might as well try it again (unfortunately I've got 56k, so its really no fun downloading it over and over...)

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/23/04 10:10

It worked! I right-clicked in the msn browser! Yippee! This tutorial is great! Wow, just what I've been looking for since I started with 3dgs!
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/23/04 19:09

DOESNT WORK FOR ME
i have big problems trying to download it.... when i click directly it downloads a 400b htm, when "i save as" it wont work, FLASHGET doesnt work either, i tried on a MAC and ona PC and nothing, i asked a friend to try at his place and the result was the same.
Could someone please tell me how to do this?

Thanx in advance

day 2: back at the office i tried all the way possible and nothing....i tried various PCs. and finally i found one that does (winXP IE6) the following: when i right click it doesnt work, when i left click it pops a new pageand then asks me to open or download the file, this doesnt work at home (Opera, IE6)????? BUT i cant use that PC 'cause the person working there need s the bandwidth. Could conitec please put a zipped version or someone else to mirror a zip of the tuts....

thanx in advance!!!!
Posted By: jcl

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/24/04 01:31

Ok. Some seem to have problems with non-IE browsers to load a CHM file, so we'll ZIP it.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/24/04 02:22

Where can I download the game to this tutorial? You said that it will come with it, but I can't find any sign of it.
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/24/04 02:40

Thanx for the understanding JCL!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/24/04 03:02

Quote:

Where can I download the game to this tutorial? You said that it will come with it, but I can't find any sign of it.

U mean the demo level,i think it will comeout later:D be patience

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/24/04 05:29

The demo level/game is in Conitec's hands. It is supposed to be released with the next free update of A6.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 03/25/04 12:14

Quote:

Ok. Some seem to have problems with non-IE browsers to load a CHM file, so we'll ZIP it.

Urg... sure wish you had done that before...

Looking foward to seeing your level, Dan!

Funny, these three smilies look more 3d-ish than the others
Posted By: VPrime

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/09/04 06:03

Dan I though that the tutorial was supposed to have things about using new templates? I just quickly went over the one on downlaods page and had nothing about the new temapltes. Is that justa "pre-relase" or will there be more when the demo is out?

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/10/04 03:40

The tutorial has nothing to do with the templates at all since it is a level design tutorial. On the other hand, the demo game, due to be released soon (it's in Conitec's hands) is made with only the new template scripts. So you can see what you can do with only the templates once that is released (even though it is only two levels).
Posted By: VPrime

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/10/04 04:35

ah okey thanks for clearing that up I must have misread.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/10/04 04:51

The "template_6" part of the demolevel is held up with collision code and "template tweaks" at the moment. I plan to release it as a beta next week although it may use the old collision code.

The first template_6 demo will be a simple "collect the gems" adventure, but it will span two levels and deal mostly with doors, lifts, and triggers.

If all goes well, the second demo will include smart(er) AI and weapons. I'm not going to even guess in public when that will be finished, but I hope it will not take as long since I will be building on the first demo.
Posted By: Error014

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/10/04 05:39

In Antwort auf:

The first template_6 demo will be a simple "collect the gems" adventure, but it will span two levels and deal mostly with doors, lifts, and triggers.

Sounds really nice. A pacman-clone in 3D. Looking forward to see it

In Antwort auf:

I'm not going to even guess in public when that will be finished

Im looking forward to test it with my A8

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/13/04 03:33

Showing once again my complete lack of understanding of sarcasm.

Quote:

Sounds really nice. A pacman-clone in 3D. Looking forward to see it

Like pacman but with two dots and no ghosts.
Oddly enough, the AI standards group I am working with is creating a 3D pacman game. So maybe you will get to see your pacman 3D clone on 3DGS.

Quote:

Im looking forward to test it with my A8

Since A9 is already scheduled to have the "Make Game" button (and perhaps even the "Sell Game" checkbox with "profit" slider) I can safely say that the FPS demo will be released before A8.
Posted By: Julius

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/13/04 19:19

Quote:

Since A9 is already scheduled to have the "Make Game" button (and perhaps even the "Sell Game" checkbox with "profit" slider) I can safely say that the FPS demo will be released before A8.

lol

Just wondering... has it been decided what the profit slider will go up to? How about some options like... some people might want quick and big profit before the game fades out, some people might want long lasting continuous profit from a classic game like Halo (has its advantages, like company popularity).
Will there also be a "select publisher" button?

lol

Julian

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/14/04 03:56

Quote:

Just wondering... has it been decided what the profit slider will go up to?

Depends on the edition.

Quote:

Will there also be a "select publisher" button?

This will be handled in a drop-down selection box.

Posted By: Aaron_H

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/14/04 04:57

haha, lovely features Doug, can't wait for A9

I know this is going off topic (but it already has done )
Why don't we start a post like this in Morbius, about future Ax features (funny ones like those posted above)

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/15/04 03:30

If the thread continued like this for a while, I would have to move it to Morbius. But I think I said enough.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 04/15/04 10:20

I agree...

DAN TUTORIAL! DAN TUTORIAL!

I have the tutorial, just need the level to become available.

Julian
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/07/04 17:02

I'm ever the impatient one lol....

ok last post was almost 3 weeks ago... what's the news on the 'gems' level tutorial? I was reading the one thats available now... then disappointed when i saw it reverted back to the old tutorial :P

I know I'm not the only anxious one!

Any rough guesses?

Jason

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/07/04 21:33

The written tutorial is complete and was released quite some time ago. The level that goes with it is still in the works at Conitec's end.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/08/04 04:50

The non-violent, collect the crystals level will be released to beta next week (it requires the new collision code that is in the beta version 6.23). The "Kill 'em all" blood bath will be released sometime after that.
Posted By: Serlink

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/08/04 06:58

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/08/04 12:25

Release the level without the code first. Maybe tomorow.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/08/04 14:27

Cool stuff! I was just wondering when the next update would be out, because there are bugs preventing me from using c_move, and Marco Grubert assures me that it is probably a bug that has been fixed and will be released with the next beta. I'm looking forward to it, AND the tutorial levels. Exciting stuff.

Julian

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/28/04 11:49

Next week?

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/29/04 04:47

It's done, but it requires the new collision code that is only in the beta group right now.

No...really...

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/29/04 12:13

Level Design!!! So, give us just the level first! Or else change the name to Colision Design.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/02/04 03:18

The first level is a single room and, without the new code, you can't run it.

I could releases the level geometry, but it will not make much sense without the code (I *don't* want endless "how do you make it work?" questions).

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/02/04 07:23

hehe you'll get them questions anyways how did you do that?( even after you document it step by step) how would i do it if I wanted it to do it this way?

but it will great to see working examples of "how to" or "this works this way" documentes

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/03/04 04:44

Quote:

hehe you'll get them questions anyways

Yes, but I want to have a better answer then "wait until the next update".

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/03/04 11:57

I promiss you that I won't make an question!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/04/04 03:34

Quote:

I promiss you that I won't make an question!

But you will not be able to use it. It will not run on anything but the latest beta.
Posted By: WizRealm

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/04/04 04:23

I have a solution! Give everyone beta then release the tutorial.
Posted By: Crossy

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/04/04 09:45

As long as we're on the subject (or were a few posts ago...)

I found this in the national enquirer

COnitec is already developing A9???
Posted By: danthaman015

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/04/04 11:46

Hahaha. That was a good laugh..Conitec better get to work on A9 quickly then...

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/04/04 12:45

Make an exe!!!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/04/04 12:46

Lol, i was thinking about how i could do that

Uh, i mean how conitec is going to do that hehe
Posted By: elsewood

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/04/04 22:41

with the PRO you would have the [MMORG] feature too!!
Posted By: I_M_FRUSTRATED

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/05/04 07:39

The A9 joke is really funny ( ), but at the same time kinda stooooopiiiid ( ).

If that is the future of games creation you might as well give everyone in the world a copy, and all the games would be the same game, even if it is a different genre, the games you could make would be like this:

MMORPG: one character, hardly any different enemies...

repeat this for all genres you could possibly think of.

And the number of bugs thing, that would automatically change the popularity slider bar, and vice-versa.

Of course, It's just a joke, so you can just ignore me.

O yeah and they needed to change the window shape, there's no way they'll still be using Windows 98 in the future. Maybe they will have circular windows and the title bar will have the STOP font (the font they use for the Star Trek title).

I know I think waaaaay too logically.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/06/04 01:16

Quote:

And the number of bugs thing, that would automatically change the popularity slider bar, and vice-versa

Says who? In the future all slider bars will be much more advanced

Quote:

O yeah and they needed to change the window shape, there's no way they'll still be using Windows 98 in the future. Maybe they will have circular windows and the title bar will have the STOP font (the font they use for the Star Trek title).

1) its windows 2000
2) its going to be the only halfway decent windows release for the next 90 years (until microsoft gets new management)
3)circular windows would not be practiacal at all...
4)How do you know the name of the font used for the title of star trek???

Quote:

I know I think waaaaay too logically.

ehhh, not really, if you thought logically you would leave this alone, because it is the most sacred joke on these boards

Posted By: I_M_FRUSTRATED

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/06/04 04:27

I know the font because I sometimes watch it while I'm eating. You know, Spike TV? I watch it with my Mom and her boyfriend (my dad lives on the opposite coast). Usually he's the one changing channels, and all I really like to watch are cartoons. That's how I sometimes end up watching it.

Anything that is on the screen I'll watch it, as long as it's not too bloody or booooriiiiing .

About the circular windows thing, ok so it's not all that practical, but hey, shouldn't a kid have his imagination? I think if Microsoft really makes the decision to use circular windows in the future, logically you're right, the shape would be a nightmare for word processors and Internet Explorer, plus the font would have to be bent into an arc, wich wouldn't work at all.

The most sacred joke? As in the funniest or the rudest?

I'm gonna play som Episode I Racer now.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/27/04 03:17

How long did you said?

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/29/04 06:41

Quote:

How long did you said?

I said when the next beta is released to the public. I don't have a date on that (you would need to ask JCL).

The first tutorial is finished, tested, documented, and ready to go as soon as the next version of A6 is released.
The second tutorial is finished but needs testing and documenting (it uses the in-house beta features).

Obviously, after reading this thread and the one before it, I should just keep quiet on what I'm working on (I guess I need to learn the "TUSC" lesson every so often too ).
Posted By: mk_1

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/29/04 08:09

Hey Doug... maybe you're working on TUSC? When is it done?

Yeah yeah, I know the answer: When it's done.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/30/04 06:50

Send me the first one! I won't tell anyone.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/30/04 10:55

LoL, the forums two most sacred jokes: A9 and TUSC. They make me laugh every time I see them mentioned!

Julian
Posted By: Locoweed

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/02/04 16:32

My turn for a TUSC response. Wasn't TUSC a Jefferson Airplane song btw? You are 1/4 the way to TUSC on post, heh. Please forgive me, family re-union stress is setting in. But, as you know, "What cums around goes around!" John Travolta, or was that Einstein?

Loco
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/10/04 18:02

off topic a bit .... but it was Fleetwood Mac who did TUSK

Jason

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/11/04 09:40

mmm... TUSC...
Posted By: Darkstorm

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/11/04 20:07

LOL Loco

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/12/04 22:06

I love how the first post was Nov 22nd, 2003.

(I know we're waiting on Conitec here, and I have confidence that it'll be soon.)

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/12/04 23:47

Well, my end of this was done months ago . So if this turns out to be a TUSC scenario we can safely blame Conitec .

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/13/04 05:22

Quote:

Well, my end of this was done months ago . So if this turns out to be a TUSC scenario we can safely blame Conitec .

So can safely blame it on me using beta features in the scripts.

The new features are so cool I had to use them! I thought the next update would be out by now.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/16/04 00:24

Can't wait!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/16/04 04:14

Okay, since this has been "on hold" for some time, I am going to post a *rough draft* of the chm file.

DO NOT TRY TO FOLLOW THE TUTORIAL until the next update is released!

Many features in the tutorial are not released outside of the beta version yet so you will get errors.

However, I would like to hear feedback on the style of the tutorial. Do you like the format? Do I go to fast? Is anything not clear? We plan to do many tutorials on the template6 code (I want to cover all the features) so your feedback is very important even if it doesn't change this tutorial.
Posted By: MaxF

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/16/04 04:52

Love the "Waxing the Floor"

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/16/04 05:36

Thought I would post it here...

The Tutorial is great and it explains well to me.

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/16/04 07:00

Looks very good so far Doug. question what application are you guys using to create the help file based formated tutorials? the tuts im working on for the contest would look nice in the same format i think ( 3 parts to it so far: text game tutorial, 2D graphics tutorial with 2 games ( may add a 3rd), and 3D FPS tutorial ( have plans for an isometric game/stratagy view tutorial as well)

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/16/04 12:21

That wasn't so hard, hasn't?
Very nice!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/16/04 23:46

Looks like it's going to be outstanding!

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/17/04 06:48

Quote:

question what application are you guys using to create the help file based formated tutorials?

I do them "by hand" using Cascading Style Sheets and HTML. I then send them to Germany and JCL runs a magic program over them (you would have to ask him what he uses).
Posted By: Aaron_H

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/17/04 08:46

I think that the 'magic program' is what he was refering to

There are a number of them around on the net, just do a google search.
Posted By: raunchy

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/17/05 14:52

I noticed the las post on this subject was July 2004. Does this mean the tutorial was finally finished or has work on it been discontinued. Judging from the number of posts on this tutorial, it looks like this is the most awaited tutorial of this and the last tutorial
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 05/17/05 15:00

Not positive on this however it could be reffering to the level design tutorial on the downloads page.

Quote:

it looks like this is the most awaited tutorial of this and the last tutorial

I dunno im still waiting for the rest of keith ambits fighting tutorial to be finished
Posted By: b_102373

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/11/05 06:05

Quote:

I dunno im still waiting for the rest of keith ambits fighting tutorial to be finished

That was due years ago!
Posted By: Bilbo

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 06/11/05 14:46

helpscibble can be used to make helpfiles and its freee
Posted By: HotMustardGas

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/09/05 01:40

I'm a new game devolper and from the look at those snapshoots it sounds great just one question will it be free
Posted By: MaclarenF1

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/09/05 17:48

Its on the download page right now, right below the trial version...
Posted By: marxist_reloaded

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/14/05 05:00

I've downloaded the tutorial wed_tutorial_e.zip from the Download page and extracted the help file. There is an error in the help file - all the pages are blank with the following error on every help page:

"Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable."

Can someone please let me know what's happening. I need the turorial for a class I am teaching. Thanks!
Posted By: Ayrus

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/14/05 07:22

hmmmm.... works fine for me... it is probably an internet setting (History/proxy/cache/security), or maybe the zip file was corrupted when you dload it.. try redownloading it first.. if it still doesn't work.. try viewing another .chm file to see if it works..

Regards,
Ayrus
Posted By: marxist_reloaded

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/14/05 18:22

Aryus, thanks you put me on the right track to finding the solution. Right clicking on the .chm file and selecting properties revealed that the .chm file was blocked because it came from another computer. You just click to unblock then it works! I guess this is some new XP security thing. I never had the problem before...

Re: New Level Design Tutorial Almost Completed - 07/15/05 03:06

That's XP Service Pack 2. New security measures have put in place to protect your computer.
© 2024 lite-C Forums