3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed

Posted By: danthaman015

3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 07:17

Dan here, just wanted to let you know that the book "Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed" is now in progress. I will update this topic to say how far along with the book I am. So far everything up to and the table of contents is complete. I have begun the introduction. Here is the basic table of contents :

---------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION

PART 1

-CHAPTER 1
OVERALL HOW A GAME IS CREATED
WHO MAKES THE GAME?
WHAT SKILLS ARE NEEDED?
WHAT HARDWARE IS NEEDED?
IS GAME DESIGNING RIGHT FOR YOU?

-CHAPTER 2
CREATING IDEAS
DOCUMENTING IDEAS
DESIGN DOCUMENT

-CHAPTER 3
ASSEMBLING A TEAM ONLINE
MANAGING THE TEAM ONLINE
RECEIVING WORK FROM THE TEAM ONLINE
COMMUNICATING WITH YOUR TEAM

-CHAPTER 4
ESTABLISHING A COMPANY
ESTABLISHING A WEB PRESENCE

PART 2

-CHAPTER 5
INTRODUCTION TO THE 3DGAMESTUDIO SOFTWARE
INTRODUCTION TO MED
INTRODUCTION TO WED

-CHAPTER 6
MAKING YOUR FIRST MODEL
MAKING YOUR FIRST SKIN
ANIMATING YOUR MODEL

-CHAPTER 7
MAKING YOUR FIRST LEVEL
TEXTURING YOUR LEVEL
LIGHTING YOUR LEVEL

-CHAPTER 8
ADDING A GUN
ADDING ENEMIES
ADDING SPRITES

-CHAPTER 9
CREATING TERRAIN
CREATING A SKY
CREATING A POND
CREATING THE ENVIRONMENT
EXTERIOR DETAILS

-CHAPTER 10
MORE ADVANCED LEVEL DESIGN
MORE ADVANCED TEXTURING
MORE ADVANCED LIGHTING

-CHAPTER 11
CREATING A VEHICLE MODEL MESH
SKINNING YOUR VEHICLE MODEL
MAKING YOUR VEHICLE GO
DRIVING YOUR VEHICLE

-CHAPTER 12
ADDING PHYSICS TO YOUR GAMES
ADDING PHYSICS TO OBJECTS
ADDING PHYSICS TO VEHICLES
ADDING PHYSICS TO CHARACTERS

-CHAPTER 13
INTRODUCTION TO SED
INTRODUCTION TO WDL SCRIPTING
SCRIPTING SOME EXTRAS FOR YOUR LEVEL

-CHAPTER 14
USING MED TO CREATE A SMALL HUT
USING WED TO POSITION THE HUT IN THE LEVEL
USING SED TO SCRIPT SMOKE FROM CHIMNEY

-CHAPTER 15
CREATING A LARGE INDOOR LEVEL
INDOOR LIGHTING
INTERIOR DETAILS

-CHAPTER 16
CREATING THE HUD
CREATING MENUS

-CHAPTER 17
FINISHING OFF THE GAME
MAKING AN INSTALLER

PART 3

-CHAPTER 18
TESTING THE GAME OUT
POSTING DEMOS ON WEBSITES

-CHAPTER 19
SEARCHING FOR PUBLISHERS
CONTACTING A PUBLISHER

-CHAPTER 20
SETTING UP YOUR ONLINE STORE
SELLING GAMES, PLUGINS, AND SOFTWARE ONLINE

PART 4

-CHAPTER 21
SETTING UP A 3DGAMESTUDIO TEAM
MANAGING THE TEAM

-CHAPTER 22
LEVEL DESIGNING TIPS INTERIOR
LEVEL DESIGNING TIPS EXTERIOR

-CHAPTER 23
MODELLING TIPS WEAPONS
MODELLING TIPS VEHICLES

APPENDIX A – SAMPLE DESIGN DOCUMENT

APPENDIX B – 3DGAMESTUDIO RESOURCES

ABOUT THE CD

INDEX

---------------------------------------------------

The book would also come with a CD with tutorials, resources, example levels, plus the A6 Trial Version. It would also have a bunch of stuff not available for free anywhere else.

So I will continue to update this saying how far along the book is, then when it's done, if we're getting a publisher or not. If we don't get a publisher, then I can sell the book on CafePress, and you can have an option to buy the CD for an extra 5-10 bucks or so.

The book would be for noobs or for more advanced users of 3DGamestudio, it would be a good book for every 3DGS user to have layin around the house somewhere if you need it for reference, better than any online 3DGS manual.

Let me know who's interested
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 09:02

Sounds ambitious...how much time you giving yourself?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 09:27

Hey, that's good! When you're done, can you make it available as E-Book format? The reason is I'm visually impaired and if I read a boook, my eye will get very close to the book and I will have to squint my eyes to be able to see it. I do have Adobe Reader and Microsoft Reader but I may be thinking that Adobe Reader is one of the most commanly used program used for reading E-Books.

So if you can make it available in E-Book format, then that would be great as I don't have to worry about moving my back forward to read the book that is in a table or desk.

Thanks.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 09:40

I am actually writing the book and everytime i'm done for the night, i save it as .pdf format, so yes i will have an e-book version available. I have tons of projects right now.. school work (reading books and writing essays), working on a game called Rage Kage Online with some people, working on my game, Battlefields of Stalingrad with my team, making models and levels a lot now.. now i have this book.

by the way:

Introduction is now complete!

p.s. someone asked me this question:

Q: is german version going to be available?
A: hopefully! if i can't translate it all my self, then i can even get my german teacher to do it perhaps hehe..

-dan

Posted By: GhostDude

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 12:18

Man sounds like it will be an awesome book Dan! This is exactly what 3dgs needs, a really complete and informitive book. Good luck with it!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 13:04

CHAPTER 1 COMPLETE

On Page 20 out of 400 goal! Only 380 pages to go
Posted By: Nadester

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 13:27

Sounds really cool. I hope you finish it!
Posted By: Commander_Josh

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 16:54

Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed, that sounds really good.... a lot of us can really use a book like this!

Only one question that crossed my mind, do you have any succesfull games which we can have a look at, to back up the claims made in the book. I mean I'd love to see some of your games created with 3DGS so I can see what the standard the book has and if it is a book for me to look forward too or not. Don't view this as some critisism though, but with such a title you at least must have some good proof for it.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 17:21

Heya Red,

I think this would be an awesome addition to 3DGS as well as a profitable, provided you can pull it off. It is in this regards that I, playing my eternal role of devils advocate, would have to ponder:

1) You never said how long you were giving yourself for this. One month? Two months? YOu stated " I have tons of projects right now.. school work (reading books and writing essays), working on a game called Rage Kage Online with some people, working on my game, Battlefields of Stalingrad with my team, making models and levels a lot now". With all your other projects, it seems like you have ALOT to do already.

2) Your title implies that this is based off a game that your book contains all the elemenst to make a successful 3DGS game. By implication, this would mean that you have made a succesful game which covers all fo the below (web presense, publisher, etc) Which game is that? What are it's successes and how much of your book is based on that game? A little bit of personal background would go along way to putting some weight behind your words.

2) YOur table of contents leaves me questioning:
- why is SED in chapter 13, after levels, sprites,sking, enemies and physics ??!! This doesnt' sound right at all. How can you introduce enemies before scripting...??
-as per an earlier post, chapters 3, 4, 18, 19, 20 are really contingent on your past success and credentials; what RL meat is there to these chapters?
-you've set up four parts, but no labeling nor designation to what these parts represent as part of the larger narrative
- The topics seem to lack focus: how is chapter 21 diffrent from chapter 4? both deal with team development. How can you do the last two sections of chapter 11 (making car go and driving car) without the subsequesnt physics and Hud chapters? You state "The book would be for noobs or for more advanced users of 3DGamestudio"...There is no way that you can write such a text in under 1000 pages. To cover the Noob needs and Advanced needs would require SOOO much more than you have listed here. Every book I have ever read has focused on one or the other. I have never read any book that could tackle both needs within one tretise.

Ok let me take off my devils advocate suit....phew...it was getting too hot!!!
Red, I think your intention is noble if a bit unfocuses. I get the impression you don't have a firm idea of the nature of this enterprise. Mind you this is an impression purely born of your statements and your provided TOC, so if I'm off the mark with any of my comments, then I apologize. However, if what I say above rings true, you should take some time to beter summarize to yourself exactly what your are tring to accomplish. Just by stating that you are aiming at boths noobs and advanced users alike tells me this isn't a well thought out book and that you may be biting more than you can (or want) to chew.
Again, if I'm way off the mark, I'm sorry. But if I'm not, then think of why I'm not off the mark.
Posted By: slacer

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 17:26

Hí,

it is a great project and I can't wait to get this book
But I have to say, that your book is out of balance - why?

The book has 23 Chapters but only one chapter is dedicated to scripting!
Ok, Game Physic is a scripting part, too - but why would you introduce physics before scripting?

Most of the gameplay is in the code, if you stick to the templates - you will not be
able to earn a lot of money with that game.

Maybe you need to change the order in your table of contents.

-- slacer

Posted By: Helghast

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/01/04 20:00

i am most interested in part 3, chapter 10 :P
Nah... just kidding.
Man i would like to see that book coming out, what's it gonna cost??
And where will it be available??
hope to hear soon more of it!

regards,

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/02/04 04:33

i am giving my such as much time as it needs to make the book right and have no errors in it and the flow of it. some things i forgot to say, like part 4, that's about ME, like, how I started the team, how I bla bla bla . . . the reason i'm doing physics infront of scripting, is because i emailed JCL about this, need to check email still, but i'm going to cover newton game dynamic's physics rather than 3dgamestudio's for it's user friendly documentation and how easy it is to set up, "noobs" would be able to use newton's more easily than the 3dgamestudio physics in my honest opinion, and without nearly any scripting. intro to SED, is just that, just using the SED editor, then teaching different things to script, like actually writing your own functions/actions rather than using some already there in the templates. the ToC are in order, but they just need more explaining, in the intro it has an overview of all the parts, and beginning of each chapter has an introduction, which thouroughly describes what's going on in that section of the book.

another question answered - while i have not made any commercial 3dgamestudio games, i am working on a couple, and the book isn't set up to go on my experiences of making a commercial game, it's stating the right way to do that (yes i know how to make a commercial game even though i haven't made one yet, and the answers to how and examples of commercial 3dgamestudio games will be in the book ) i will use other 3dgs projects as examples as well as some of my own small work.

-dan

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/02/04 05:20

to answer the cost question:

the book doesn't have a set price yet of course, but i'm estimating the book, with the CD of resources, tutorials, a6 trial version and such, will be around $30-50

i'm also thinking of selling like a .pdf version of the book , so it wouldn't come with a cd, and that would be around $25, but i think everyone agrees that it would be more useful if it was in printed format with the cd, it'd be easier to find stuff i mean.

and i just checked my emails and JCL said that covering newton's physics engine rather than 3dgamestudio's is fine.
Posted By: Newton

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/02/04 06:14

Perhaps you can cover both (newton and GS PE). After all Newton is just another plugin.
also We can provide any help you required (free).
Newton.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/02/04 06:44

ok thanks newton; i think i might just discuss 3dgs PE but not really go over how to use it, since even i could find it hard at firstbut the book is being geared to people learning about 3dgs, and why not tell them how to make things the best, which might be using the plugin instead of 3dgs PE, but yes i appreciate your wanting to help us

-dan

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/02/04 10:20

Cool man!

Keep strong and good luck!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/02/04 12:47

ok i am done for the night,
i have started chapter 2 and have added 8 more pages, totalling to 28 pages done. chapter 2, going over the design document, will be a fairly long chapter (approximately 15-20 pages)

372 pages to go!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/03/04 04:24

just a quick announcement about the book...

i know people have talked about the ToC being out of order, when really it was just a simple explanation for why they were in the order they were in but i think i might be going to switch some of it around (making it longer) because of what i plan to do through the book, instead of making like an outdoor level with a hut, i might be making something different. in chapter 1 for creating ideas, i compare " First Person Shooter A's features and First Person Shooter B's features. First Person Shooter B is the game i will be bringing up throught the book, so i figured, why not make the game demo that the book explains how to make instead of an outdoor level with a hut, being a demo level for First Person Shooter B. This will require the ToC to be changed slightly different in part 2, but not anything major, if anything it will make the book longer and better, going into developing the game further, and giving the reader a better understanding from step 1 how to make a successful game.

-dan (the man)

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/03/04 05:47

Quote:

yes i know how to make a commercial game even though i haven't made one yet,

I do find this statement very amusing, it's like me proclaiming, "yes I know how to drive a car even though I've never driven one"

Anyway, good luck with the book I hope it turns out well, not sure if I'm buying it, I personally prefer to learn from someone who's got lot's of experience, so I might look into Tobiah's book instead.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/03/04 06:10

Tobiah's book?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/03/04 06:24

Yes, Tobias Runde's book More info, it's german only though, but that isn't a problem for me at all (even though I'm not german myself). He's been around for years, has authored more books and even created some tangible games

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/03/04 06:33

Oh those books. Yeah, I always knew that there was a wealth of german books since, pretty much day one of A4.
Wonder why Conitec doesn't take the time to translate? Can it really be that expensive? Or mayber there are legal issues here.....

One simple translation and you reach all the english speaking users. Sounds like a profitable venture to me.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/03/04 08:48

yeah, they can't translate the books so now i'm having to make one from scratch -_- lol

about the, knowing how to make a game, just never did it quote, that still is true lol. i've been doing my share of research and study over all of this, and i know exactly how to get a game published and up on the market, however i have not completed any of my games to do this lol

cya

-dan the man

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/03/04 11:36

Quote:

i've been doing my share of research and study over all of this, and i know exactly how to get a game published and up on the market,

I research and study where all the was needed for success, every MBA and Economics Grad student should be millionaires. Don't confuse book knowledge with experience.

What research have you done? I've read my fair share of books and articles on game dev, game pub, game design, etc; would love to share notes on some standard books from indie developer...maybe start on new thread on game desing research....hmmmmm
Posted By: Darkstorm

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/03/04 12:18

Its a good idea and is a much needed addition for the community but I too wonder how one who has virtually no experience on the gaming industry is going to this pull off. Maybe focusing your efforts on developement, publishing a few games commercially, and then writing a book would make a bit more sence. Anyway, good luck.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/03/04 12:56

thanks

a big part of the game would still be stressed on actually creating the game though.. like .. making a commercial quality demo..stuff like publishing is what i don't have the experience in .. starting a new thread about tips and such for newcomers trying to get insight on publishing and all that sounds like a good idea. go ahead but don't say too much because then there goes like one part of my book on the forums :-p

-dan the man

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/06/04 16:40

i'm now on page 30. 370 pages to go lol

chapter 2 is almost done, have to write the 'design document' part now.

part 2 of the book will be a breeze for me to write and well document. part 3 will take as long as the others, even though it's a shorter part , and part 4 shouldn't take that long at all...

-dan the man
Posted By: Helghast

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/06/04 17:25

ah man,
you are going fast, hope that doesnt result in bad things in youre book.
Cant wait till it is finished.

regards,

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/07/04 06:55

nah i just work fast. when i am done writing it the first time, i'm going to go back over it 1 or 2 times to fix it up, edit it, add things/ get rid of things, etc etc to make sure it's good.
Posted By: CBuilder2

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/17/04 22:03

Quote:

Quote:

i've been doing my share of research and study over all of this, and i know exactly how to get a game published and up on the market,

I research and study where all the was needed for success, every MBA and Economics Grad student should be millionaires. Don't confuse book knowledge with experience.

fastlane69,

You are a bit confused. Being a technical expert does not make you a great technical writer. In my opinion, real world experience is NOT a requirement to write an excellent technical book. Even if it one thinks it is, since red_army014 has actually used the concepts regardless of whether they were for paid engagements or not, one could argue he has enough experience to write on the topic.

First, the writer MUST be able to explain thoughts and concepts in clear understandable terms. Second, the writer must understand the topic he/she is covering thoroughly. Since I have read literally hundreds of technical books, I can tell you many "experts" could not write a lucid technical book to save their lives. Being a "real world expert" and being a "teacher" via a book are two very different skills.

CBuilder

Posted By: Nardulus

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 03:51

I agree with CBuilder.

There are many books about making commerical games that are written by people that have not published a game. The books are still valuable in there content and guidelines.

Dan's book will be a valuable addition to the 3DGS community and if he gives some good common sense direction to get a game published thats pretty darn good.

There is no sure fire way to get your game published. Some recommended guidelines is all that is needed.

On the Physics issue, I agree with Newton you should cover both. You said it yourself the Newton Physics is well documented. Why do it again. The 3DGS version of physics could use a book authors help in getting the information out to us users. I would buy the book just for a good description of using 3DGS physics.

Just some grist for the mill.

Ken

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 04:01

You know C, I started to agree with you on the basis that I didn't consider a Buisness Plan to be on par with Technical Knowledge, but then I read you post more carefully and I'm confused. If in fact...

Quote:

In my opinion, real world experience is NOT a requirement to write an excellent technical book.

because...

Quote:

First, the writer MUST be able to explain thoughts and concepts in clear understandable terms. Second, the writer must understand the topic he/she is covering thoroughly

..then how is that writer supposed to attain said understand if not with experience???? I'm confused cause you say I'm confused, but this is my point exactly...

On this I agree 100%
Quote:

Since I have read literally hundreds of technical books, I can tell you many "experts" could not write a lucid technical book to save their lives. Being a "real world expert" and being a "teacher" via a book are two very different skills.

...but even a teacher must accumulate real world experience before they can speak eloquently and cohesively about a topic, which was again my original point.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 04:12

Hi Nard, didn't see your post there sorry

Quote:

There are many books about making commerical games that are written by people that have not published a game.

Names please. I would like to research books written about publishing a game by people who have never published a game.

Quote:

Dan's book will be a valuable addition to the 3DGS community and if he gives some good common sense direction to get a game published thats pretty darn good.

Dan has experience out the ying yang and you said it best, he can give directions. I don't think Dan would ever say that he knows how to get a game published and on the market just through his readings. I would bet his advice is based on real life expireience on the topics he's addressing

Quote:

There is no sure fire way to get your game published

Which is why saying that you know exactly how to get a game published and out to market is a mis-statement.

Quote:

On the Physics issue, I agree with Newton you should cover both. You said it yourself the Newton Physics is well documented. Why do it again. The 3DGS version of physics could use a book authors help in getting the information out to us users. I would buy the book just for a good description of using 3DGS physics.

I agree with you in principle since NGD is a viable alternative to 3DGS PE, but looking at the TOC, it doesn't seem that plug-ins are getting separate attention and thus, it would probobly be best to focus on the 3DGS PE only, if at all. Only saying this cause it would then admit into Red Armys todo list a network plugin alternative to 3DGS Networking, a particle effect plugin, etc.
If Red Army has the time he would do well to give all plug in their dues. But looking at the TOC, it would seem lopsided to include a plugin for one 3DGS system and not others.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 04:25

Hi Fastlane,

Andrew Rolling is a guy I know for a fact has not made a commerical game, yet he has many books on the topic.

I had to fix a project he had screwed up for a client.

I have published over 50 titles and I would not have the nuts to write a book on how to get a game published. Each deal is uniqe, a good design document, good art, and a cool demo usally gets the door open, the rest is salesmenship.

Ken

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 04:48

Quote:

Andrew Rolling is a guy I know for a fact has not made a commerical game, yet he has many books on the topic.

Quote from "Game Architecture and Design" (which is an AWESOME book....everyone here should have a copy)

"Andrew Rollings holds a BS (Hons) is Physics from Imperial College, London and Bristol University and has worked as a technical consultant spanning the games industry an the financial industry since 1995. With Dave (Dave Morris, co author-F69), he operates a consultancy covering all aspects of game design from concept to full-technical planning"

If that ain't experience, I don't know what is.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 05:22

Yea thats an awesome list of games he's made is'nt it.

Dan, please keep making your book. Focus on how to make a great game with 3DGS and you will have a winner of a book.

Ken

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 05:52

Quote:

Yea thats an awesome list of games he's made is'nt it.

That's right.
And in his book he never mentions anything about how to publish or market a game, so he is in fact only talking to his experience. Even his latest "Andrew Rollings and Earnest Adams on Game Design" has no mention of publishing or marketing that I can see in teh TOC.

Andrew Rolings talks about Game Design and not publishing nor marketing and thus is not an example of a:

Quote:

books written about publishing a game by people who have never published a game

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 06:26

Hi Fastlane,

Are we agreeing or disagreeing?

Just wondering if this is a Pissing contest or not.

Ken

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 07:16

I'm pretty sure we are dis-agreeing.
We'll take it by numbers:

1) I forward the idea that IMO a person needs to have experience in publishing nor marketing in order to make the claim that they know how to successfully publish.
2) you present Andrew Rollings as an example of a person who writes about publishing without publishing himself.
3) I say he has the experience to write the books he does
4) you counter by saying he hasn't published any games
5) to which I agreed because he writes about game design and not publishing nor marketing; Hence he isn't an example of a person who is writing about something without having RL experience in it themselves.

So here we are, me repeating myself and you pissing on you leg

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 08:19

I am biased on Mr Rollings because I saved a project he screwed up. So I know for a fact he should not be writing about designing or even making games.

I may have not understood your position about publishing a succesful game. I agree that Dan's lack of experience in that area makes his claim lame. A book about the technical nitty gritty of making a game, and some ideas on how to approach a publsiher are good.

Sorry I see the good in the whole of the book, but I agree that the section on publishing should be rethought.

When I worked at Macromedia the guys that wrote the Authorware book had no clue in how to make an application with Authorware. Yet they were able to ask people that had done it and had access to the developers like me and the book turned out pretty good.

Dan may have some novel approach to get noticed by publishers, like hooker phone numbers, black mail materials, and mafia connections.

I say let him write about it and lets critique it once he is done.

Ken

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 10:33

Quote:

I am biased on Mr Rollings because I saved a project he screwed up. So I know for a fact he should not be writing about designing or even making games.

LOL Can't beat that!
I can't attest to him as an individual or professional but his books are right on par with the other classics in my library (most notably anything with LaMothe in it ).
He's a good writier and the things he has mentioned in his book have worked real well for me.
Now, that he doesn't take his own advice...hehehe

Quote:

I say let him write about it and lets critique it once he is done.

I agree, but we are not doing Red Army a favor by having him write down a blind alley as it where. I see our critiques at this point not as discouragement, but rather as a chance for Red to focus his own work on subjects and maybe re-prioritize content or development time of his book based on our comments.
No one is saying don't write the book. I think what is being said is just make sure you have something new to say or a new way of saying something you know about. If you have nothing new to say, I can go on the net and find it out and if you have a new way of saying something you know nothing about, then it's best not to say that at all.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 16:15

yada yada yada

yeah i've been thinking about the publishing section, and instead of actually covering publishing the game, it will probably just focus more about getting the game to a point where a publisher could pick it up, i might just throw the publishing section out. the book is mainly focused on creating a 3dgamestudio game, not really as much selling it. i don't want to make it sound like this is a sudden decision because of you guys posts, it's really something i was thinking about when i first wrote the ToC.

anyway, about the book progress...i haven't really had too much time to work on it lately, i've been out the last couple of days, plus have had final exams and such last week. i'm thinking about skipping chapter 3 for the moment, skipping on over to part 2, and get that out of the way, because i feel part 2 will be the easiest part for me to write (because this part of the book IS right up my alley ) then i can go back and finish up the rest of the book and take some more time on that and release a sample chapter from part 2 or something..

anyway.. yeah the book should do well !

oh and by the way.. besides the game Battlefields of Stalingrad, that i'm working on (i'll have more on that one in showcase and such in the future), i have another project up my sleeve that is actually quite simple to make, yet it is a very interesting proggy (not really a GAME, but...well i dunno that's up to you i guess..;)) i can already tell it'll be good because i was playin around with it.. and actually screw the whole "i'll show it in showcase" because this game will just go straight to showcase 2 with a link of where to purchase it really soon...but i just can't tell everyone or give people hints because i think the idea will most likely get stolen
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/18/04 17:33

Quote:

anyway, about the book progress...i haven't really had too much time to work on it lately, i've been out the last couple of days, plus have had final exams and such last week. i'm thinking about skipping chapter 3 for the moment, skipping on over to part 2

Can anyone say TUSC!

Just kidding

Oh, and any of you old hats will know what I am referring too .

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/19/04 00:31

just search for TUSC and have a nice time reading a very loooong thread about a nice piece of software...

There are some nice stories from Dan also

Give me an "A"

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/19/04 02:23

Old enough for that to sound familar;
Not old enough to remember though.

what does TUSC stand for, it's killing me!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/19/04 02:53

lol this isn't another TUSC..

hopefully:)

hehe

Quote:

what does TUSC stand for, it's killing me!

i know what the thing is, but i think it is The Ultimate Script Creator.. is that right?

anyway..
lol
these next 2 days i should get a lot of progress oo can't wait!

-dan

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/19/04 14:05

ok guys, the title of the book sucks, it's too long, too.

i need some ideas for a book about making a 3d gamestudio game!

what do y'all suggest?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/19/04 14:11

What's wrong with "Making your game with 3DGS"?
Simple is always better

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/19/04 17:27

You may add some interviews with people who have already published a 3dgs based game.
They would allow some of their screens in your book, too.

I like the title, too.
Quote:

"Making your game with 3DGS"

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/19/04 23:54

Hi Dan

Then is you are really old like me.

TUSC was an operating system back in the 70's that was developed at USC. I can not remember what the T stood for.

I used it when I was coding stuff on these Televideo machines it was an alternative to USCD Pascal that all us 70's hippies were coding our games in.

"Your in a long widing hall", "XYZZY", -> Classic Adventure.

Ken
Posted By: Virtual_User

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/20/04 00:03

Quote:

what do y'all suggest?

Cut Scene Generator! (sorry had to do it)
Posted By: Firestorm

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/20/04 01:44

When in doubt, go for the tried-and-true

Howzabout "Secrets of the 3DGS Gurus"?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/20/04 04:41

lol
hmm...

how's like

using 3dgs to ______

there shouldn't be a "your" in it, because the book shouldn't really be addressed to the reader.. it's just more formal, same with an essay, you don't want to say 'you' in it. i understand this book probably will, but that's because i want to like let the reader feel closer to the author (me) etc etc, it's more friendly if someone uses you i think..

but bottom line is like, don't use you or your in a title...

but anyway, more suggestions!!

-dan

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/20/04 04:56

Since 3DGS strong points are its easy to get started. And we all have trouble finishing a project.

How About:::::::::

"3DgameStudio From Start to Finish".

Or

"Game Development Using 3DGamestudio"
"3DGamestudio Gems" -> paying homage to my favorite collection of books Graphics Gems.
"So, you wanna be a Game Developer"
"3DGamestudio Pot of Gold"

See yea....

Ken

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/20/04 06:38

Quote:

using 3dgs to ______

Unless you planning to show how you can use this to make trianing software or any other non-game app, then "using 3DGS to make games".

As to the use of "your", I was intending the Your to emphasize that the persoanl nature of game dev using 3DGS. Correct me if I'm worng, but most users of 3DGS are using it to create their own games, their own vision, their own dream. They are not using it because their boss or school or job told them to and thus they need learn how to use it, as might be the case with 3DMAX MSWORD C++ etc. IMO it's proper to talk to the reader given my impression of the personal nature of the projects engaged upon by teh 3DGS user base.

Quote:

3DGamestudio Gems

Though I love the "gems" series, he forums, Aum, and the users in general pretty much take care of any "Gem" like book Boo Yah!!!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/21/04 12:16

Quote:

You know C, I started to agree with you on the basis that I didn't consider a Buisness Plan to be on par with Technical Knowledge, but then I read you post more carefully and I'm confused. If in fact...

Quote:

In my opinion, real world experience is NOT a requirement to write an excellent technical book.

because...

Quote:

First, the writer MUST be able to explain thoughts and concepts in clear understandable terms. Second, the writer must understand the topic he/she is covering thoroughly

..then how is that writer supposed to attain said understand if not with experience???? I'm confused cause you say I'm confused, but this is my point exactly...

On this I agree 100%
Quote:

Since I have read literally hundreds of technical books, I can tell you many "experts" could not write a lucid technical book to save their lives. Being a "real world expert" and being a "teacher" via a book are two very different skills.

...but even a teacher must accumulate real world experience before they can speak eloquently and cohesively about a topic, which was again my original point.

fastlane69,

You took the statements apart and removed the context. I wrote the following:

Quote:

You are a bit confused. Being a technical expert does not make you a great technical writer. In my opinion, real world experience is NOT a requirement to write an excellent technical book. Even if it one thinks it is, since red_army014 has actually used the concepts regardless of whether they were for paid engagements or not, one could argue he has enough experience to write on the topic.

First, the writer MUST be able to explain thoughts and concepts in clear understandable terms. Second, the writer must understand the topic he/she is covering thoroughly. Since I have read literally hundreds of technical books, I can tell you many "experts" could not write a lucid technical book to save their lives. Being a "real world expert" and being a "teacher" via a book are two very different skills.

So, to answer your question:

Quote:

..then how is that writer supposed to attain said understand if not with experience????

From my original post:

Quote:

In my opinion, real world experience is NOT a requirement to write an excellent technical book. Even if it one thinks it is, since red_army014 has actually used the concepts regardless of whether they were for paid engagements or not, one could argue he has enough experience to write on the topic.

CBuilder

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/21/04 14:42

I haven't a clue as to what you are trying to say Cbuilder.
Red Army never "used" the concepts that were at the center of our debate, namely, publishing.
I dont' get it.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/22/04 02:08

Quote:

I haven't a clue as to what you are trying to say Cbuilder.
Red Army never "used" the concepts that were at the center of our debate, namely, publishing.
I dont' get it.

fastlane69,

I'm looking at the technical aspect of the book; everything else is a bonus. As for expecting "extreme enlightenment" in the publishing arena, I have yet to find a book at any price which has given me the "magic" answer. If you find it, please post the name of the book here. I'm sure just about everyone will line up to buy it. I'm sure Nardulus will even buy a copy!

CBuilder

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/22/04 03:02

Quote:

As for expecting "extreme enlightenment" in the publishing arena, I have yet to find a book at any price which has given me the "magic" answer

Right. Which is why my ears perked up when Red made his initial claims that by merely studing "he knew how to get a game published and marketed".

Quote:

I'm looking at the technical aspect of the book; everything else is a bonus

IMO, it's "the bonus" that makes REd's book worth looking at; it's HOW HE is putting togetehr the technical stuff in an original manner that makes it worth reading.
Hence, you can't separate the Technical from the Bonus.

As I see it, if I **just** wanted the technical aspect, I can look at the manual. If I want to know how this technical stuff comes together, then I read Reds book in the hopes that he has EXPERIENCE USING THE TECHNICAL STUFF TO MAKE GAMES AND THUS PRESENTS ME WITH AN ORIGINAL VIEWPOINT.
If this isn't the case, then the most Red can claim is HE HAS READ HOW TO PUT THE TECHNICAL STUFF TOGETHER, BUT HAS NO PERSONAL EVIDENCE OF IT'S EFFECTIVENESS, thus diminishing the value of the book IMO.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/22/04 03:48

so the bottom line is_____________should i just skip the publishing part?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/22/04 04:33

Quote:

so the bottom line is_____________should i just skip the publishing part?

red_army014,

No, do NOT skip it. This may be a subject where you write the initial draft and ask for reviewer's suggestions. If you ask for suggestions, I'm sure you'll come up some interesing information. Maybe, some of the "experts" like Nardulus will be kind enough to offer some insight.

CBuilder

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/22/04 04:37

hmm alright
Posted By: Tobias_Runde

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/24/04 21:34

I'm searching for a US-Publisher. When someone have one, he can translate my book and earn the money!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/25/04 00:49

Tobias_Runde,

Why go the "old school" route of using a publisher to create a physical book? Assuming you own the rights to the book, why not find someone willing to translate text files (pdf, doc, html, or whatever) for a percentage of the sales? Once the files are translated, you could then assemble them in some e-book format. Now, you are ready to make money!

CBuilder

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/25/04 01:41

How many eBooks have you bought??

I go this way, because i prefer paper!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/25/04 02:29

Tobias_Runde,

I have purchased literally dozens of e-books from Amazon to OReilly's Safari. I would much rather pay $16.99 for an e-book than $29.99 for a book which will sooner or later (probably sooner) end up in the trash. If I want to read away from the computer, I simply print the pages. Also, since I have purchased some relatively expensive books ($49.99-$69.99) which literally fell apart after light use, I'm not thrilled with "traditional" publishing.

CBuilder

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/25/04 02:35

Hey Red Army,

Lost is all of the discussion is the fact that your book is truely needed.

I will help edit the book for you. I will test your samples, help you refine your samples, and check your text for accuracy.

Tobias I would like to help edit your book also.

I could dedicate a couple hours a week to this.

The more resources we can create the better....

Ken

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/25/04 03:40

I haven't time to translate my book.
Teh Problem of eBooks are illegal copies!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 03/25/04 06:55

@ nardulus: that sounds great, thanks man

by the way, i will start looking for a publisher as well when the book is done. why not have it on paper?? i could manufacture it for free on "X" website (won't say the name [afraid of competition hehe])it's just that the cd won't be included with the book, so i'd need a publisher. i think i know a lot of people who would want to buy books off shelves rather than a website. (paper vs. e-book) i'll be making both by the way...

-dan tha man

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/26/04 08:27

Well it's been a long time since there's been an update.. I've had more work then you could imagine down here!

Chapter 2 is complete
Appendix A (Sample Design Document) is complete
Posted By: agreenknight

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/26/04 11:49

hey dan, i'm interested in working on this. I would think you would have contacted me now that i'm not doing so much for evilgamers. Do not call, don't write, what' up man? sniff, sniff, lol anyway,

I was thinking some med, and wed, and sed tutorials would be helpful. Personally, I prefer a hard copy, black and white book spiral bound book. I spend alot of time on my computer, and like the portability of a book. But hey, you might be able to do both.

Also, there might be people who are willing to submit tutorials for this book. A chapter or so on troubleshooting games might be a good idea.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/26/04 12:12

Quote:

Do not call, don't write, what' up man? sniff, sniff, lol anyway,

Hmm?

Well yes I was originally planning on doing step by step tutorials in the book, and I would write them so that they are new, and not tutorials we have seen before by other users.

I'm guessing I will have been done writing the book by...mid August of this year..Then editing comes later, then publishing and manufacturing. The whole thing should be ready for public around November or December this year hopefully.

-Dan

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/26/04 12:24

You better come through on that due date!
Your book would look mighty fine under the Christmas Tree and I'd hate to have to disappoint my kiddies!

Why you even reading this? Go go! Keep Chugging awway!!
Posted By: prim

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/27/04 06:18

Can you send me the pdf book too?
thank you

mprim_dj@hotmail.com

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/27/04 07:59

Well, you'd need to pay me some money, and ahem, wait 'til it's finished

-Dan
Posted By: Locoweed

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/29/04 15:30

Keep it going red_army014! I would really like to see this completed. I am getting my order ready.

I am a hardcopy freak myself (I like a cd with the code examples too though). I find it much easier to have a book and look at the screen at the same time, rather than switching back and forth from document to code on the computer.

Loco

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/29/04 15:32

Thanks, you know the more y'all talk about it, the more motivation I get to finish it sooner.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/29/04 16:21

I also want to say that I will be taking a trip to Florida for two weeks. I'll be out and away from a computer from June 5 - June 20. I can go to the library and use their computers when I need to, so if anyone wants to give me their AIM screen name so I can contact them during then, do so now. I will be going to the library random days probably. This shouldn't slow down the progress of the book. I am going to be writing on paper some of it while I'm down there, however it's going to be difficult by not being able to see the interface of the programs to write about it and such.

Anyway, just thought I might share that.

Oh, the website was updated a few minutes ago (added a banner and a "donate" button, lol). I think I might make one or two online type magazines for sale, like Part 1 and Part 2 with some game design stuff in it. It will probably be like a preview of the book. But the thing is, I really need a budget for some of these projects, especially Battlefields of Stalingrad. I have a model list for a demo for someone else to make that will cost somewhere around $5,000 - $10,000, and that's not pocket change...So if you can, please donate, because it will be towards our projects, and not a new car or a video game or anything.

-Daniel Koetter

Oh, one last thing for you Germans. I had a final exam on Thursday in my Deutsch Eins class. One of the questions was to describe your room. I put something along the lines of : "Ich habe ein Bett in mein Zimmer, aber ich schlafe am die Couch in die Hölle." What I meant to say was "I have a bed in my room, but I sleep on the couch in the den," and not "I have a bed in my room, but I sleep on the couch in Hell." I just thought that was really funny. I only found out about the mistake until school was done with. I'm sure my teacher is getting a laugh out of that.
Posted By: Whipit

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 05/30/04 12:27

Quote:

what do y'all suggest?

Hi Dan, I'm glad to hear you are writing a book on 3dgs. This is something I am very interested in. As for content, I would like to see a book that focuses on A6 scripting from beginner to advanced (with a good lot of advanced content) and 3dgs physics.

Goodluck with the project.
Posted By: BHoltzman

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/31/04 07:23

I found an interesting method of publication that you might want to take a look at. Not that it will work for such a specialized topic as your book. But it's good to at least be thinking about different options.

See these links to learn more:

http://mindview.net/FAQ/FAQ-010

http://www.mindview.net/Books
Posted By: Melonenhund

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/31/04 16:24

In Antwort auf:

Mon Mar 01 2004 01:40 AM
Introduction is now complete!

In Antwort auf:

Mon Mar 01 2004 05:04 AM
CHAPTER 1 COMPLETE

In Antwort auf:

Wed May 26 2004 01:27 AM
Chapter 2 is complete

Well if you really want to write 23 Chapters, you should consider a better scheduling ...

I guess the name for this book will be something like:
TUSC - The Ultimate 3DGS Book

(for more information on the TUSC legend click here)

Would be happy if its something different.

Kindest Regards

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/31/04 16:39

Well I simply can't schedule when I can be finished when writing stuff. Especially during the last few months. Some chapters will require more work than others. No this will not be another TUSC.

-Dan

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 05/31/04 21:54

Even is this will not be another TUSC (and even the TUSC author stated his creation wasn't vaporware!) then there is something to learn from the TUSC thread. Actually, there are a few things:

1 - Telling the entire forum about what you are developing early on can be problematic (more on this in a moment)

2 - People at this forum really, really want cool things released (programs, books, etc) and get excited when they hear about potential projects

3 - These same people can get really, really upset when these projects don't come to see the light of day

When Conitec announced that a feature is going to be added or a new update is going to be released then most people don't wonder if this will occur or not. Why? Because Conitec has a track record. We have seen the releases and we know what Conitec is capable of. When someone else comes along and states they are going to do something like write a book and that this book will tell me how to succeed using 3D GameStudio and when that person has not succeeded themselves with a game made with 3D GameStudio ... then don't be suprised when someone starts throwing the name TUSC around.

I hope the best for you and your project. Surprise the more cynical members and actually complete this project.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/01/04 02:29

Well I'm nearly 100% sure this thing will be all finished by Christmas time so these folks can have one more gift under the tree this year

-Dan

EDIT:

And also let's please cut down on referring my project to TUSC. It doesn't help motivate me, and also makes me paranoid about not finishing it...So just refrain from comparing TUSC and the book and there will be a better chance of seeing this thing .

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/06/04 17:39

Have you thought about conitec publishing this book, or showing it to conitec when they are finished?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/12/04 01:59

Yes. I sent them an e-mail way back. They said they would have a link to buy the book on their website, they were also very supportive as far as helping with the book if I need some help.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/19/04 13:17

Well, red_army014, I have faith in you, disregard all TUSC comments and get this book finished as soon as you possibly can without working yourself to death. As a matter of fact, comments refering to something like TUSC from someone who I have never seen contribute anything to the community what-so-ever enrages me. I have been around long enough to know a bit about who is who. So there is no question in my mind that this project will be in time for me to request it as a Christmas present. Of course, if one expects that 100% of all plannned projects will be completed, they are a fool. But if no company, even Conetic, never advertised what their expected product would be, they wouldn't exist. So, do you want no contributions? Or do you want 50% of planned contributions actually exist? Right now, I don't care, it's up to you. For those who who spend countless hours on their off time trying to make something happen out of consideration for the community, instead of fishing, some whoopie with the wife, whatever, we would like to know. What do you want? I personally will not sit here trying to help the community and get bashed if for whatever reason if can't complete my project. But to get bashed, even before my projected completion time by senior members is unexceptable to me. So use TUSC to destroy the 3DGS support community. Fine, if that's what you want, it's probably what you will get.

As to why Conetic has a fairly good track record, their employees (atleast programmers) are paid every month or bi-monthly or whatever, unlike others who contribute without any pay or get payed only when the project is actually completed. Even so, after all the years 3DGS has been out, only now is so issues like multiplayer finally becoming actually feasible.

If anyone expects someone to spend many hours of one's precious time doing something for free or upon completion without first seeing if there is interest and getting motivation, not 'you can't do it' criticism, from the community, alot of good learning tools that are now available would not be there. I am usually a big fan of Dan, but in this case I am not. Sure there are many projects that are not ever completed, but as long as you have been around Dan, I wouldn't think you would feed into the criticism of those who have consistantly over time made contibutions to the community. Grrr... not happy at all at the moment, need to count to 10 backwards. Anyway, the best tools I have found to learn with, are usually from contributions like red_army014 is try to compile. Please Don't Criticize someone who has been in the community along time and is trying to help! Counting to 10 backwards again. People like George with AUM and who is affiliated to my understanding with 3DGS have done much more for my learning than 3DGS documentation itself. I could list solo-non-payed-contributers for hours, but wouldn't even mention the office tutorial as a recommendation, I learned absolutely nothing from that tutorial when I started 3DGS, except how to be frustrated. Now, if I saw this post was created by the criticizer, MelonHead or whatever, with 38 post, I would question it. Sorry, I am so not a happy camper right I need to get offline before I get myself banned. I am just so seriously pissed after reading the last few post! Its no wonder projects by capable people are never completed.

Never listen to the nay sayers.
I say Yea, keep up the good work! If you need anything, let me know red. ANYTHING! Anything at all, I am there for you.

:steam from ears now cooling my temperature:

Best Wishes To You Red,
Frederick 'Locoweed' Sims

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/19/04 22:25

Hi red_army014,

while it may be hard for you to get your work compared with that old TUSC thing,
I hope you will finish your project successfully.

Some months ago, I announced a tutorial and wanted to finish it within about one month. Well, I jumped into two projects only one week later.
This thread has a high read-counter now, and I am still waiting for the beginning of those vapoware postings.

It is easy to attract those guys - just announce something they really want - and update your progress very frequently.
They get hungry very fast, and if your progress slows down ... the thing turns into a TUSC flame.

Well, sometimes I am one of those bad guys, too.

If you want - you don't have to - send a sample chapter as appetizer.
This should slow down their flame - and maybe they see themself on the wrong side on this issue.

But anyway - keep on working (at least for your self)

Very best wishes,
Michael

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/19/04 22:54

My advice has always been to NOT announce these types of things until you are fairly far into the project. Then you have a better chance of completing it and less chance of anyone claiming "vaporware".

TUSC is funny, but at the same time it serves as a reminder.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/20/04 00:28

Loco and Red,

Simma' don' na'....simma' don' na'....

Why get so upset over what a non-community member has to say?
Remember, to be a part of the community means more than simply registering your name.
It means that you are an active part of something larger than yourself, a group a people that stand by you and help. Now I ask, is a 38 poster a member of the community?
NO. NOT YET.
Thus why all the emotion over what a NOBODY has to say???

Red started off on the wrong foot by making GRAND claims to make the everything book on 3DGS. Now he's givin us a December deadline and that seems appropriate. If it does go by the way of TUSC, it sure as hell won't be a newbie nobody who points it out!!
Posted By: WizRealm

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/20/04 01:25

Yes you don't have a thing to worry about. If someone calls your thing TUSC ignore it keep going, most of the time it's probably just a joke that doesn't work well though the internet (loses the emotion that speach can give it).

Fastlane has a good point don't listen to people who put you down chances are they haven't created anything yet and don't realize how much work it is. Good luck!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/20/04 01:42

Quote:

Now I ask, is a 38 poster a member of the community? ... Thus why all the emotion over what a NOBODY has to say???

But I am the one that brought up TUSC and I have almost 8500 posts! So what does that mean? Maybe that I am a MEGA-NOBODY .

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/20/04 06:25

I have calmed down after a good night sleep. I don't want to make this a thread about TUSC. It would be totally unrespectful of what red_army is working on.

Good point Dan Silverman, you have mega post and have seen a lot I am sure.

Anyhow, I hope you continue and finish this book red_army014. If you need help with anything, let me know.

Loco.
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/20/04 09:47

Quote:

My advice has always been to NOT announce these types of things until you are fairly far into the project. Then you have a better chance of completing it and less chance of anyone claiming "vaporware".

I agree wholeheartedly with that. I did not announce RazorAI until I had a good base down in the development. Also, although I've had plenty of delays- I've made sure to keep people aware that a LOT of work is going into the project (I'm working 50+ hours a week now to get it done with everything else that is going on). Also, having a reputation as Dan mentioned does help. Many people trust that it is something I am capable of, and thus my topics have been void (so far) of TUSC.

Anyway, lets get a little more on-topic .

Good luck Dan, I'd be happy to help review the book for errors and give my input when you are starting to get close to finishing it.

-Rhuarc

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/21/04 16:03

Well I got back from my 2 week trip to florida, so now I can begin working on the book again. I've already finished 3 chapters for those who don't know, and have begun working on the fourth.

All is well...

-Dan
Posted By: Dutch_GameDesigner

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/21/04 17:32

Will the book be available for free? (Im a dutch noob)
And will it be available in PDF?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/22/04 00:42

The book won't be free, however it will be cheap (scratch the $40 estimate, now I'm thinking it's about $25 [details on that much, much later ])

And upon several user requests, I will make a PDF version.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/24/04 05:24

Just a little report:

I am working on the book every day now. I'm coming in at about 10 pages a day...

It's 47 pages long now, but I still have a long way to go.

-Dan

EDIT: Umm.. now I have a sort of minor problem... I can't open the document...in any way...and it's only made for one program... I'm going to see if a simple reboot will do...

I still have a .PDF copy of it that I made earlier today though if something goes wrong.

EDIT 2:
*Phew* The reboot worked. All is well..
Posted By: prophet

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/24/04 06:13

You have percked my interest in this and I hope it gets finished. With the book and CD you should have the pdf on the CD so people like me can have both. Load the pdf on the puter and have the book for reading where ever I am at. Again, keep working and forget everyone else.

Just think, the only person you have to please at the ned of the day is yourself.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/24/04 06:41

I KNOW you must have more than one working copy...
I KNOW you must keep each days output in it's own folder...
I KNOW you keep a hardcopy of each weeks output...
I KNOW you burn a disc or floppy or CF card with each weeks output...
I KNOW you have a copy and backup copy of all of the above...
Right?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/24/04 07:22

Quote:

I KNOW you must have more than one working copy...

The .PDF works (as well as the correct one I write on) .

Quote:

I KNOW you must keep each days output in it's own folder...

Nah, I don't do that, I just make a .PDF of what I've done at the end of each day...

Quote:

I KNOW you keep a hardcopy of each weeks output...

Nah

Quote:

I KNOW you burn a disc or floppy or CF card with each weeks output...

Yeah I burn a floppy, however it's almost full now .
(I also publish it on my server)

Quote:

I KNOW you have a copy and backup copy of all of the above...

Just about...

Bottom line is, even if my main file gets screwed up or deleted or something, I can still write it. So don't worry about any computer errors delaying writing time .

-Dan

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/24/04 07:22

Quote:

Umm.. now I have a sort of minor problem...

I would not report these things on the forum. It sounds too much like ... never mind

Just keep plugging away.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 06/27/04 13:25

Haha Mr. Dan Silverman, your being too funny.
Posted By: strainbow2

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 07/02/04 15:15

When you're finished, I would love to get my hands on that book. Preferable in paper format (cd or no cd).

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 07/02/04 16:22

Good, good to hear. The CD thing is going to be a problem if I don't land a deal with a publisher.

(If I don't get a publisher, don't worry, I can still make paper versions available, just no CD, or it will have to be shipped seperately atleast)

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 07/30/04 07:57

I should have an important announcement over the book upon reply of an e-mail... so just keep your eyes open to this thread...

(Don't worry it's not bad-...er not too bad Okay well it's not bad. [Just have to cut some stuff out of the book])

EDIT:: Oh and I just now thought of a way to speed up the writing process about 400% and still be 100% accurate . So yes still expect it to be done by Christmas time.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 07/31/04 09:20

Okay I got the e-mail back.

What I'm going to be doing is removing the chapters about team building, web presence, publishing, and all of the extra chapters. I guess I could leave what I have done of those chapters in, though. But I've decided to make the book basically just a giant 3DGamestudio tutorial. It will cover everything from a - z and then some. (It will be mom-tested to see if a *REAL* noob can understand it, as well as friend-tested hehe), and also the 3DGamestudio manual will be in the back of the book as a reference, with all of the terms and stuff. That's what I was waiting for an e-mail about.

Anyway, this shouldn't disappoint too many of you. The main part of the book that I wanted to write will still be there, which is the part about actually designing the game, however it will just cover minimally the parts about what to do after the game's completion.

Expect it Christmas 2004.

-Daniel Koetter

EDIT:: I'm not making this up, but it seems a real bug just flew into my tower... woah... those stupid gnats. Hey can someone tell me if they'll screw up the system? That's so weird...

Anyway no I didn't write that to make it sound like my computer will crash and I'm going to suddeny lose the book files. Like I said before I have backups, but I just wanted to say a little bug flew into my computer hahaha.
Posted By: KAMOI

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 08/04/04 07:42

I could test it for you and help you to translate it into german, but only if you are interested

1 : I am a noob but me English is good.
2 : When I understand what you say everbody will understand it

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 08/04/04 08:24

Sounds good, and also maybe my German teacher would be willing to help .
Posted By: coma

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 08/13/04 02:51

for the amount of posted about this book you could have finished it off months ago,write the book not the forum

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 08/13/04 06:01

So you're saying you want me to stay off the forums until the book is done? How long does it take to make a post? One minute tops? FYI I'm not working on the book 24/7. I do have time to go on the forums. Just accept the fact that I'm writing it at least and don't worry about my forum use, okay?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 08/14/04 00:25

no i am not saying that at all but 12 pages of posts.all the best with your book & forum!!!?!?"!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 08/14/04 04:05

Well for me it's only 3 pages of forum

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 08/14/04 05:25

yah course you do.
hay between us we have added a new page.

Great.

Thanks ComA.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 08/14/04 06:27

Coma,

You have made 14 posts total on this forum (as of the time I am writing this) and three of them are to harrass the original poster about writing his book. I would highly recommend you simply let this go. It is not productive.
Posted By: mccow28

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 08/14/04 07:36

If you like it, fine. If you don't, leave it alone.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed - 12/24/04 07:57

Quote:

Expect it Christmas 2004.

... and that is only a two days away ...
Posted By: Yulor

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 12/24/04 08:58

I like books.
I would love to add this to my collection, even if it is a tutorial.

will it still be binded?
Posted By: qwerty823

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 12/24/04 10:33

Quote:

will it still be binded?

Umm.. you mean "bound"?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 12/24/04 12:49

binded.. bounded.. whatever.. it's all the same :P

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 12/24/04 21:24

Yeah the books late, but were not going to get Dan to finish it by saying, it's xmas eve, where's the book? Good things come to those who wait. I think Dan made a mistake by pronouncing it so early, but it's not a mistake others haven't made, including myself. I think Dan's got a good career ahead of him if he doesn't burn out.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 12/25/04 01:27

right on?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 12/25/04 22:54

Well, I personally wasn't asking for the book, but no one has seen or heard from him on this subject for a long, long time. And, since the last "estimate" was around Christmas then it would have made sense for him to have made a post stating the book will be late.
Posted By: ISG

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 12/26/04 03:25

Well I have Dan on my MSN, maybe when I see him online again I can ask him whats up! I saw him pop on for a few the other night, I will catch him next time he is on to see if he still plans on carrying out this book!

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 01/18/05 04:40

Hey hey hey! I haven't checked out the Tutorials forum in a while so I didn't see this thread coming back up. But to answer some questions..

I just got an e-mail asking about the book. I responded by saying that, no, the book was not cancelled, but as I went on break from 3DGamestudio, the book went with it, due to stress, thanks to all of my projects . So, Yes I do plan to pick it up again sometime in the near future here. I actually just opened WED up again for the first time like in a few months and I began making some really nice looking geometry. I'll be done with the little test level within a week maybe... But before I pick up on the book again, I want to go ahead and get used to Gamestudio and its new features. And if someone wants to help me one on one with some of these shaders, I'd appreciate it.

So even though I shouldn't say this, maybe the book will be done by this Christmas...

-Dan

Oh and I haven't really been on MSN much because no offense, there are just too many little spammers and such on there that try to talk to me, so I sign on to check my e-mail then sign off. Maybe I'll just leave it on from now on...

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 01/18/05 04:51

Umm

Hopefully you weren't referring to me as being a spammer? I rarely say Hey to you lol.....If I ever have......

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 01/18/05 05:00

Lol no, I wasn't referring to you...Not necessarily people on these forums even.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 01/18/05 05:04

Ok, thats more of a relief to know. I hate being the disturbance to others, that annoys myself.

Well I can't wait to see your book get going. If you need help, I could possibly help, it all depends on how much work I have going on my half for my game.

Good Luck!
Posted By: beegee

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 01/23/05 20:46

hi!,

These are a lot of topics you write. I'm interested for this book.
Is this book for beginner or for pro? I hope the book has from all things something. When are you will be finish and comes the book in a german version, too?

---------------------
my hp: http://3dgs.funpic.de

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 01/24/05 04:42

The book will be for both beginners and pro, for pro's it will probably just be more of a reference book, but still useful. I'll try to get someone to translate it as well.

I was also thinking on the cd that comes with the book (if it does that is) I think it'd be great to have some video tutorials as well that correspond with the book. They are easy to make, and it'd be easy to implement it.

I'm going to start up on the book again soon so everyone just be patient .

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 01/24/05 10:36

Now that I think about it...

I think I might want about 2 or 3 people to help me with this...

If anyone is interested let me know, please.

Thanks,
Dan
Posted By: DocPenguin

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 02/06/05 05:44

I haven't read the whole thread and you may have already answered this but,

When is this book coming out?

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 02/06/05 06:51

Well it's too early to have an exact date, even to the year.

However if all goes well, maybe by the end of this year or early next year.
Posted By: DocPenguin

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 02/06/05 07:35

could you email me as soon as it is ready
cdavies@qec.n-yorks.sch.uk

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 02/06/05 07:41

Man everyone wants me to e-mail them when it is ready... If someone wants me to personally e-mail them when it is done, I would suggest waiting until later this year to request that... That way I don't lose e-mails or anything.

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 02/07/05 04:45

Okay I'm ready to start writing.

Here's what I want now. If everyone who needs to know something (maybe not right away) leave several questions, and I'll answer them in the book.

So if you didn't understand that, I just need people to ask me questions for how to do something in 3DGamestudio so I can answer them in the book.

Thanks,
Dan
Posted By: MadMark

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 02/13/05 07:47

Dan,

Good of you to take on such a job. I'd like to do my part. I can't offer much, but I have some free advice. (The only guarantee, you will get your money's worth.)

Rather than relying on people reading this thread in a rather obscure area of the board (I rarely pop in here), why not review the board and see what questions are most frequently asked, review the level of the enquirer (newbie, adept, pro, guru) and start by answering those questions first. Not only will this provide the most bang for the buck when buying your book, as there are a lot of repetitive questions, but the board here also provides many ready made solutions to those questions if the user had only searched.

Structure your book to take the user from absolute n00b to at least adept. Gather relevant links and information from other sources in geometry, physics, algebra, etc. You don't necessarily need to duplicate it in your book, use the web links so that original authors will get due credit. (Permission may be required.)

If you are going to focus on scripting, then assume that the user knows ZERO about modelling and animating. When you must touch on these areas, do so fully, again with links and other sources. I don't know how many users have asked (me amongst them!) why "tutorial-de-jeur" didn't work, when we were using the guard model instead of the wizard model, which lacks a certain set of animations (swimming).

Lastly, if you charge for your book, keep it affordable. Yes, you are putting a lot of effort into this. Yes, it will take a long, long time. Yes, if you charge an extra buck, you'll make that million faster. However, your potential audience increases as your price drops.

Good luck,
Mark
Posted By: SandGroper

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 04/21/05 21:25

how about the basics of everything from beginning to end skinning ,modeling,level creation, animation for those models,and chuck in scripting for the rev heads!

if you can do that in english i will be pleased! ;p

oh and dont forget make sure all info is in bold letters coz i wear glasses you know mawahahaha ;p
Posted By: SandGroper

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 04/21/05 21:32

this is like the life and times of monty python.
Posted By: C0113c70r

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 10/05/07 01:19

Dan, please let me know when your book gets published. I'm very eager to get my grubby little hands on a copy.
Posted By: bomber

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 10/07/07 12:55

me tooo!
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 10/07/07 12:58

If u have Read the Date, hes created the Post, youll see that is it 2 Years ago, i dont think you get an Answere...

cYa Sebastian
Posted By: FBL

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 02/22/09 21:45

/tusc

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 02/26/09 20:22

2 year old threads should be locked.... to prevent this... Don't you think so?
Posted By: Landixus

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 02/26/09 20:57

it is may be better to let the book writing from the community, i think the AUM
and Wiki and litec tutos are enough to dev a good game.
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Suc - 02/26/09 20:59

Originally Posted By: slacer
2 year old threads should be locked.... to prevent this... Don't you think so?

Agreed.
© 2024 lite-C Forums