wargame contest

Posted By: Marky Mark

wargame contest - 09/21/03 10:08

hello,

I am announcing the start of a wargame Contest.

You will have to create your wargame, with a good scenario. the prizes is:

-3rd: a cd with a lot of 3dgs ressources
------

-2nd: a cd full of 3dgs ressources
------

-1st: a cd full of 3dgs ressources and your game everywere. (pub links etc.)
------

-------------------------------------

So you can make your game with tutorials, but your game need to be original.

THE CONTEST IS STARTED AND WILL END ........ WHEN I WILL HAVE SOME GAMES FINISHED REPORTS.

GO!
Posted By: James_Burke

Re: wargame contest - 09/21/03 10:39

Sounds good. But a couple of questions.
1) How long does the game have to be? Or can it be a demo?
2) Where do you send the game once it is finished?
3) Whats on the c.d? Models, scripts, textures?
Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: wargame contest - 09/23/03 18:40

Brilliant contest idea, absolutely brilliant! I'm entering! What's on the cd? Is there heaps of variety? (some people don't want models, some don't like tutorials [that's just plain weird], etc.) GREAT contest idea, but how do we know the prizes are worth it?

PS: the "your game everywhere" is a great idea; everyone wants good advertizing.

Re: wargame contest - 10/05/03 05:20

hi,

I will open a ftp server so you will can upload your files in this server. you can do a demo but I think 5 levels is great for a minimum. I want a intro menu and mabe a intro video (this is optional). If you want a help, download the rpg101 of locoweed. Click here for more informations

For the CD, I want your ideas! A game created with 3dgs that sounds very good? A c-script editor? some ressources? (if you don't want tutorials and models ask me) So I need your ideas. But don't forget: FULL cd! so I will add the more things I can.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: wargame contest - 10/05/03 08:55

I'm working on a strategy game but it's turnbased. May I join the contest anyway?

Re: wargame contest - 10/05/03 10:07

Yes you can!
Posted By: Realspawn

Re: wargame contest - 10/05/03 15:15

@marky mark.

While i like the idea its looks more like a cheap trick to
get a war game example.

I mean... cd with resourches you can allready take of the net ?
No sponsors of this game.
No actually worth prizes ?

Dont take this wrong i could enter to but i dont think this contest is for real. At least not as long you dont have worth to win prizes.

Posted By: Yulor

Re: wargame contest - 10/06/03 02:18

i agree with rene, although im willing to give you the benifit of the doubt.

Re: wargame contest - 10/06/03 06:47

OK!

First, I dont want this contest for have the game and modify it cause i alredy have someone who help me for that and my game is almost finished. for the prize I said it: I WANT YOUR IDEAS! it could be cash or games but i need to know what you want.

Re: wargame contest - 10/06/03 17:15

not to be rude but....

Quote:

Also
Quote:

I think 5 levels is great for a minimum. I want a intro menu and mabe a intro video

As its not for you but for a contest how can you speak about "I"

Then
Quote:

But don't forget: FULL cd! so I will add the more things I can

Do i have to believe your going to make all kinds of new resourches for one cd 650 MB ? If so then its a bad idea
starting a contests without having the prizes done. If not then why create a cd with resources every one can get without having to do a contest.

My suggestion (you dont have to do it )

Close this topic and start a new one if :
- Prizes are ready to go
- Have a entrie date
- A full good description of the contest.

Realspawn out

How could you start a contest without having prizes ?

Posted By: scary_man

Re: wargame contest - 10/06/03 22:06

for the Recources,
PathFinding script,
Units,
Buildings

-scary_man

Re: wargame contest - 10/06/03 22:17

At ease ! scary man you are scaring me

All i did was pointing out how i feel about this topic.
I think when you start a contest you should have thought things over and prepared.

Clear.

Thank you

Re: wargame contest - 10/06/03 22:19

still i join this contest ^_^

Scary_man

Re: wargame contest - 10/06/03 22:33

I agree with RSpawn. It's a nice contest idea but not very planned.
5 levels are relative. You can have BIG, COMPLEX levels and small, less complex levels. I want to join with a turn based strategy game. So what games are allowed anyway?
"Panzer General" for example is a wargame and strategy game, too. But I think it's not the type of game Mark thought of.

Make a list of rules and maybe some different prizes. Anyway I'd like to see some money in my pocket.

@scary_man: pathfinding as resource?! That's what's necessary for a strategy game so I think everyone will have it already when the contest ends...

Re: wargame contest - 10/06/03 22:52

@ MK.1
i know i know
but not everybody has great pathfinding right?
so if 3 persons join
the last one gets a pathfinding script to make his game better

-scary_man

Re: wargame contest - 10/06/03 23:03

strategy games don't work without pathfinding. Those without pathfinding won't have any chance to win and the game would be unplayable (just because you can't control your units).
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 01:43

Not all wargames need sophisticated pathfinding. In RTS, you do need great pathfinidng since it's a dynamic, constantly changing environment. In Non-RT Strategy games (like the BattleIsle series), since they are turn based, you need no or a trivial amount of pathfinding.

This just proves your point, MK, that this is a not well defined contest. Having said that, I applaud ANY effort by the 3DGS community to start a Wargame community...it's full of potential and grossly underused and if an ill defined contest is the way to generate interest, then more power to ya!!

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 07:16

OK.

IF YOU WANT MORE DETAILS I RESTART THIS CONTEST:

hello,

You will have to create your wargame, with a good scenario. (a original story) Your game can be turnbased and you have to make a minimum of 5 medium levels (Medium: depends if your game is turnbased or not. No small levels like the computer screen, but no super-big levels).

I will open a ftp server so you will can upload your files in this server. Your game will be better with a intro menu and mabe a intro video (this is optional).

This contest will end: January 10 2004. (If this date is not what you want, say it)

-------------------------------

3rd Prize:
----------
?

2nd prize:
----------
?

1st prize:
----------
?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So the contest is not started cause I don't have the prizes. How much you want? ($$$) and what you want?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

REALSPAWN, IT IS CORRECT NOW? (except for the prizes)

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 07:22

While I'm waiting I'll critizise your last post.
What is "good"?! noobs call their first work good and in experts opinion it's...well...crap.

11000 what? quants? squares? Remember the size of squares is relative and size of levels depend on the game (turnbased levels are smaller).

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 07:57

ok my post is finished

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 13:30

January 10th is a short amount of time for "5 levels/original scenario". It'll be better if you just compare the games and their progress.

Prizes:
200$ first prize would be a good start.
Posted By: myrlyn68

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 13:54

Generally I would much prefer to stay out of this type of discussion, but I feel I must comment.

I think that the idea is quite good - though I really feel a bit more time should be spent in developing it on your part. A lot of things are still not clear, and most of them are things which should really be stated from the get go.

For me, I had been trying to figure out what I felt to be a fair contest for what I can afford to give back to the contestants. I had actually began playing around with the idea shortly after Conitec announced the summer Physics contest. In the end, you will have to come to a balance between the reward which you can give, and the ammount of work which will go into the entries. 5 levels alone are a lot of work. A strategy game (RT or turn based) is a lot of work. 5 levels in a stategy game with an intro video is a huge ammount of work.

Also, you aren't really clear what you are trying to accomplish with this. What will happen to the games when they are completed? Do you expect to keep the winning entry/entries? This is very, very important for anyone who might be thinking of entering, and it is very important that it is made clear from the start.

Finally, how will they be judged? You say a good scenario - but I could make a strategy game which uses a color coded blank map and primatives for "counters" - but uses a kick ass AI and still loose to a game which is mostly eye candy.

Like I said, I think it is a great idea - but I think more time should be spent in deciding on how you will implement it.
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 14:18

Something i would like to see:

+intro (not necessarily an animation, but it should explain the main story in less then 2 minutes)
+1 level about 10 minutes minimum playtime (this would recommend balancing, a very important issue in st games)
+extro statistic (splashscreen including game stats like killed and lost units)

Everything till April 1st (6 months are a minimum for guys who can do this spare time based only).

Prize: This acutally sound like a teamwork job (because it has tons of stuff to care about).

I think 200bucks are way not enough for that much work but it still might be ok for eveybody else.

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 15:42

Mark dont get me wrong plz i dont try to sound mean or anything. It's just a vaque contests if you compare it to the model contest or the 3AM contest. Where all is clear and users know what is expected of them.

I hope people will enter your contest but i hope also
there no hard feelings. I am in no way trying to flame your
topic

Posted By: Nems

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 16:28

@ Marky Mark,
Quote:

ok my post is finished

NO, dont give up just yet, check out what people are saying and take it all as good input for you to work on to make a kick ass post about this compitition.
Ask for examples or a pattern to follow when making a post like this then use it to compile your competition post again.
Your CD is still a good idea as many with slow dial ups could win them as variouse prizes (consolation even) depending on the content.
Money will always get a good interest factor if you have it to offer.
Any way, take a break, dont let the comments get to you and come back swinging.
Cheers.
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 21:27

I think its very admirable and selfless of you to start this competition. I haven't seen you asking for anything in return for these prizes you are putting up. You don't have to break the bank, just do what you can afford for the satisfaction you will get out of it.

Being part of a competition is good motivation to work on something (one of the reasons I joined Myrlyn's contest was because I want to learn modeling, not because I thought I'd win). Good on you for starting one!

The others are right, you'll have to think out the rules and requirements a little more. Take in all the suggestions and develop the nature of the competition before you announce the start and end dates (announcing for the third time is okay with me).

Here are some of my suggestions:

Perhaps make it a smaller contest. For example, however many levels anyone makes, just judge the first one, that way more people can enter. That way, people like me who already have other projects (plus work, social life, shopping, laundry...) can try to bang together a small game for the competition.

Contestants should have to show their WIP. This makes it more interesting for everybody and the project unfolds like in showcase.

Be more specific about what you mean by "war game."

That's about all I can think of now.

Don't give up!

Re: wargame contest - 10/07/03 21:53

Ok. So I think 1 level is good for this contest. the 1st prize can be 200$. Before starting the contest, I want suggestions about the prizes, and your questions about this future contest. So post your ideas, it will help me.

thanks

Re: wargame contest - 10/08/03 02:57

200$ as prize is excellent
you could count me in

Re: wargame contest - 10/08/03 04:29

Is it ok for the first april?

NEED SOME PRIZES IDEAS!!! (the 1st is 200$ and your game evrywhere)
Posted By: phil3d

Re: wargame contest - 10/09/03 05:15

maybe this was asked before maybe not but i'd like to know who will judge the games? will there be a jury or something like that?
Posted By: Iron Chancellor

Re: wargame contest - 10/09/03 05:21

What do you mean by "Your game everywhere"?

Re: wargame contest - 10/09/03 05:43

For the jury, its me and 2 friends We will "vote" and campile our result in one.

Your game everywhere: We will do our best for making publicities of your game, and we will make your website if you don't want to do it.

PRIZES...
Posted By: Wizard1218

Re: wargame contest - 10/09/03 12:35

Money is always a great prize, so I'm happy to see the $200. How many places are you thinking about awarding? If you can afford it, smaller money prizes will always do, even if its a small amount.

After all, unless you've made something yourself that you can't get anywhere else, like your own game, then money is the best thing. Unless you are willing to purchase something with the money, like a programming book or a piece of software, and offer that as a prize, though money is probably the easiest, since winners can than spend it on anything they want. With no contest sponsors, it would be hard to award any other kind of valuable prize.

Re: wargame contest - 10/10/03 06:08

Ok so for the other winners (2nd and 3rd), dou you think this is ok for:

3rd: 50$
2nd: 100$
1st: 200$

???

And we have a thing to say: The script will be judged too. (comments...)
Posted By: Wizard1218

Re: wargame contest - 10/12/03 02:00

Prizes sound good!

It might be hard to judge the script. I suppose you could judge "script quality", such as how neat and organized the script looks, but if the script is complex, it shouldn't be rated down because it is hard to understand. Also, some contestants might use a DLL, in which case you wouldn't be able to see the code for that.

Re: wargame contest - 10/12/03 09:31

Yes I will judge the script quality

I need the contestants names plz

Re: wargame contest - 10/12/03 09:51

Mark me down. I've got an idea, but haven't worked it through yet. Might be a while before I can start on it.

Re: wargame contest - 10/12/03 15:06

yea, sure sign me in, i am making an RTS game called World Of Chaos

-Scary_Man
Posted By: Teelo888

Re: wargame contest - 10/19/03 13:37

So, whats the catch? i mean your throwing out $350 and building websites and publicizing something all for nothing? you must have a lot of time on your hands

Re: wargame contest - 10/21/03 02:01

I know this contest isn't really started (or did someone else work on a war game?).
Anyway I've been working on my game and this is the result:
http://www.conitecserver.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=306545&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=&vc=
Posted By: Kenneth J. Williams

Re: wargame contest - 10/21/03 15:39

Hi This is Kenneth J. Williams of 789 World Media, at www.789site.com I just finished all 12 Levels of "Reverse The Abnormal" The game is a far out space shooter and a big war is going on in it you have to fight against The God of Death and His Army of Destruction under Command of The Dark Grey Armadda. This takes place in a far of Galaxy near a space abnormality that is nearing a planet call Lum. You can get 3 new demo's at my site now if you would like a peak at it. The game is just under 700 MB's and will fit on one CD-rom. I am planning on having it for sell next month at www.cafepress.com/kjwtechno this is my site that I am selling my part of the soundtrack my older brother Randy williams is doing the Heavy Metal Soundtrack for the other half he has about 15 tracks and I have about the same in it all the tracks are at a bit rate of 160 kbs in ogg files and are in remixes and last about 25 minutes each per level. Levels are huge and all look pretty nice. please check out the demo's if you like and email me. I dont think I have any more room for a intro video I will have to check. I think I may have 80 MB'S or or less to make a WMV Widow media video clip. I dont know how to do the menu thing. I have all levels zipped level001 is unlocked you just extract it and after you get to the end you find a password to unlock the next level. There is a passcode at the end of each level so you can unzip the next one. The graphics are nice only I did not use that many types of effects to make it. I just used basic featurs in 3d GameStudio. I made just about every model that you will see if I did not create one I edited it a little. See main credits for detail's. I am thinking about selling it for $30.99 the base price for a disc is $8.99 to set up at Cafepress.com and I want Randy my older Brother To make about $11.00 Per CD-rom for his music and $11.00 the same for me. TO keep everthing even. I know this is a lot of info maybe a little over-kill. I just wanted you to see that this is my first game I had started making it last November around the 3rd, 2002 and I had to redo the entire game over starting I think last march because I over did the polygons on my first models. Let me know exactly what to do to enter your contest by email you will find a link on my website. Or by checking my name on the forum. Thanks for reading all of this.

Re: wargame contest - 10/23/03 19:45

You're also going to have to decide if games that are already in development are allowed, or if everyone gets a clean start when you announce thebeginning of the contest.

Posted By: mccow28

Re: wargame contest - 01/05/04 06:52

count me in!

ps great idea for the contest!!
© 2024 lite-C Forums