[$$$] Springtime contest

Posted By: Joozey

[$$$] Springtime contest - 12/23/08 21:16

Hello all,

Some weeks ago the thought struck me that this forum needed a little more action in the contest section. It's been way too long since we had the last awesome contest with a cool price to win, and I feel like everyone's lost that satisfying feeling of completing a project or game. So, I started organising a new contest. Inspired by the DS/Wii/GBA development contests, organised every year at drunkencoders (drunkencoders.com/compo/), I imagined that we could accomplish something similar. After assembling a team of 5 judges, (Hellghast, HeelX, Mercuryus, Inestical and me (with special thanks to ISG)), we created the contest plan in full detail. And now we're ready to make it public.

So, what's to win?
Most important motivator, the price. And we have a price to offer you'll definately like: there's a starting total pricemoney of 150 dollar to divide among 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, respectively 50%, 30% and 20% from the pricemoney. But that's not all yet! You all have the possibility to donate any amount to the pricemoney, and help pushing it to an awesome height. Although this is not required, for fun's sake we strongly encourage you to contribute with us!
Sounds awesome? Well, there's even more. When we have reached a certain popularity, JCL agreed to contribute an extra price for the first place! What price this is you'll know when we reached enough participants wink.

Great! So what do we need to do?
We want you to create a casual game. You will not be judged on artwork, but on original content, the creative concept, gameplay and playability (so spend time on controls and interactions ;)). You'll get extra points when you compensate your horrible programmer art with good humour.
As the title suggests, the theme is springtime. Yes, we just entered the winter period, but we're already working towards spring. Anything related with spring in the widest sense will do. Honeybee hopper, Termite Terminator, Flower Defense... just be creative!

How to submit, and what's the deadline?
This contest will end at 28th of February, 23:59. As long as it isn't 29th of February, 00:00 anywhere in the world, your submissions are still valid. That leaves you around 2,5 months to create a game. Start on time, and feel free to submit any amount of games you want. Each submission will be judged and awarded individually. If you want to update a previous submission, that's no problem either. You can update until the deadline has passed.
Your submissions are bound to some rules, which can be read here . Most important is that they should be under 50 MB.
Send all your submissions to: contests@joozey.nl

You can read everything in detail on the contest page: 3dgscontests.joozey.nl

All come join, and have fun grin.

Regards,
Joozey

Posted By: broozar

Re: Springtime contest - 12/23/08 22:37

it's not clearly stated, i just wanted to be sure: you have to use a7? is a6 fine? does it have to be acknex at all? any limits on 3rd party software, hardware (as it's supposed to be a casual game) and so forth?

Re: Springtime contest - 12/23/08 23:19

Quote:
All Acknex versions are allowed, from Acknex1, 2 and 3 to A4, A5, A6 and A7

wink
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Springtime contest - 12/24/08 10:24

"there's a starting total pricemoney of 150 dollar to divide among 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, respectively 20%, 30% and 50% from the pricemoney."
uh... so if I'm third, I get more money than 1st and 2nd? :P

Re: Springtime contest - 12/24/08 12:02

Changed smile
Posted By: PlaystationThree

Re: Springtime contest - 12/31/08 07:39

I'm in. Can't think of what I'll make though...
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: Springtime contest - 12/31/08 07:41

I'm assuming we can enter as a team?

Re: Springtime contest - 01/01/09 02:11

Yes, you can enter as a team. Just send your submission in under one name, with the required information. This member will receive the won prices.

Re: Springtime contest - 01/06/09 04:54

By the way do they have to be compiled or open source?

Re: Springtime contest - 01/06/09 10:35

If you feel generous towards the community, they may be open source for sure smile.

Re: Springtime contest - 01/07/09 10:53

OK thanks...We'll see. laugh

Re: Springtime contest - 01/14/09 02:15

Can I enter the same thing I enter into the AUM contest?

Re: Springtime contest - 01/14/09 10:17

You can enter any game you want, as long as it matches the theme and runs on 3D Gamestudio. Just remember how your entry will be judged wink.

A note to everyone:
I'd like to know who's all planning to join the contest. If you would like to participate, drop a note here smile.
Until now I count four potential participants. There's a total of 165 dollar to be won, who else dares to join? grin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Springtime contest - 01/14/09 10:19

I'm in (even I'm part of the jury [i'm not allowed to vote for my own project *sight* wink ])
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: Springtime contest - 01/14/09 11:01

Me, DoofGuy and Darkjava are most likely in as a team (maybe some more people as well)
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Springtime contest - 01/14/09 12:00

I hope to, but im not sure if i can yet. can it be a demo to a commercial game we are planning on creating?

[$$$] Springtime contest - 01/21/09 13:07

Quote:
I hope to, but im not sure if i can yet. can it be a demo to a commercial game we are planning on creating?

I'd say that can be, as long as it meets all the rules.

The pricemoney has risen to a grand $180. A few more and we'll cross the $200! Step up with us and join! Any penny is appreciated. If you'd like, your company, organisation and/or team will be mentioned on the supporters page. Just send me a PM about it.

We still need a few more participants in order to get Conitec's support (including that extra price!!), so don't wait any longer and start your development smile. For future contests like this, I too expect some more participants. It would be great if we could arrange this an event every year, or perhaps even every 6 months.

Regards,
Joozey
Posted By: bstudio

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/21/09 14:27

I'll see if I can enter with a game, hopefully I get enough free weekends laugh
Posted By: LunaticX

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/21/09 14:29

i want to join contest too, working on a casual game now, but its not really spring theme, how much into spring it must be? will it be okay if i just add some bg with flowers blooming or something like this?
and i use .tga for images, archived game about 30 mb, unpacked its like 130mb
so i wonder if <50mb rule is for packed or unpacked size?
i think unpacked will be unfair because not everyone can use .wrs >.<

and how about contest for casual games without themes? i think there will be more people this way.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/21/09 14:54

The 50MB counts for the packed game.

Any relation to spring is granted in the widest sense. Preferably a little more than only a background with flowers, but it would be taken as a valid submission. Just remember that the closer you are to the theme, the more points you'll be awarded.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/21/09 15:37

okay, im in then =)
Posted By: CetiLiteC

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/21/09 16:12

I'm very happy to read about this Contest(little bit late wink ) And I hope I can implement my idea, yet! smile
But I'm not sure if I'm able to participate in the contest.... frown

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/24/09 14:50

Just don't make it too big, and you should still be able to finish a game smile.
Posted By: Joey

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/24/09 21:56

just a guess, but maybe people aren't spending because they can't read that page and thus don't trust it... can't you switch that to english?
Posted By: FBL

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/25/09 01:01

it IS in English?

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/25/09 07:35

It'a like in the other contests - the less join the better the chance to win a big price. (hehehe).
My game meanwhile is growing...

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/25/09 14:16

Quote:
just a guess, but maybe people aren't spending because they can't read that page and thus don't trust it... can't you switch that to english?

I don't understand what's not to read there either. Only the domain is Dutch, but it has been my domain for, like, forever smile. Buying a .com domain costs me more money.
Posted By: Joey

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/25/09 17:46

clicking on that chipin-button leads me to a page titled "factuurinformatie". either my english sucks or this is not english. i hope it is the latter one.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/25/09 18:01

Hmm, it is the latter one smile. It's Dutch, I thought Paypal switches to ones own language, but apparently not. I'm searching how to fix it, thanks for pointing it out.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 01/25/09 18:16

Unfortunately, there seems to be no option to change the default language. The most recent news I found here:
- http://unleashedmind.chipin.com/wysiwyg-api

So, as stated, trying a second time, and/or logged in Paypal may help.

There are more downsides to ChipIn behind the screens, such as that transfer fees are not included in the totals (as written on the page), but I will add a maximum of 15 dollars to compensate them. We're now little over 10 dollar on transfer fees.
Posted By: not_me

Re: Springtime contest - 02/02/09 05:10

INITIATE GAMES IS PARTICIPATING...

our casual game is going to be alled City of White...

its going to be a pretty interesting short project.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/06/09 20:14

...coming soon.. wink

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/09/09 08:17

Looking very nice both smile.
Keep them comeing!

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/20/09 23:56

One more week to send your submission. I have received none officially yet. If the count of submitted entries is 5 or lower, I'll concider stretching the contest with another month.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/21/09 09:06

Quote:
If the count of submitted entries is 5 or lower, I'll concider stretching the contest with another month.

???

That's not fair!
Rules are rules - and to be in time is one of the most important things in the game dev business.
If a project was designed too big if fails - that's it (imho).

all this said because i know my little spring game is already finished and currently in test stage wink

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/21/09 17:08

Objection noted. wink
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/23/09 17:24

Originally Posted By: Joozey
Objection noted. wink

I vote for another month or so, I've only seen this contest today, lol. shocked

How many people are taking part so far?

Cheers

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/23/09 17:52

Yeah! Thats cool! (*cynicism*)
I planed and sized a project to be finished in time (2.5 months) as the RULES told us.
Now - to the end of the contest - the less seems to be interested anymore or just have (again) too unrealistic projects/ideas the contest should be extended?

What's up with you?

Rules are rules!
If you want to be taken seriously you have to act like.
George with his contest also don't extend the contests just as he likes it - and everyone respects this...
Posted By: ISG

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/23/09 18:06

A lot of grouchy people on these forums today. It's HIS contest, it's THEIR (contest holders) prize money, that means it's THEIR rules. That's why you design a game to win, if it's meant to be then it's meant to be. Gives you a chance to work on graphics, make gameplay tweaks, etc.

I support the idea and backing of this contest 100%. Great to see user-held contests to try to initiate user game creations!

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/23/09 18:35

Post Edited (deleted by ISG).

[edit mercuryus]
Seems there is only one opinion - the moderator's?

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/23/09 20:43

I ask all to not continue the discussion in this thread further. If you find nessecary to say something, PM it to me. Mercuryus is in his full right to object, and I do take him seriously, there's no need to post against.

Any post continuing about this will be asked for removal.

Now, I should not have mentioned publicly what I concider. But what has been said, cannot be unsaid. The deadline still stands on saturday 28th of February. Please send your project(s) before the first of May March to contests@joozey.nl .

Originally Posted By: contest rules
How to submit
Publish your game with 3d gamestudio without any installers and without installation of external tools/programs. Add a 640x480 screenshot of your game in it. This is your game's presentation, make sure to make an interesting shot. Add a text file with your information (name, email and gamestudio version and edition) and additional info about the game. Zip or Rar everything into one file, and send it to: contests@joozey.nl.

Good luck everyone smile.

Regards,
Joozey

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/23/09 22:27

Originally Posted By: mercuryus
Rules are rules!
If you want to be taken seriously you have to act like.
George with his contest also don't extend the contests just as he likes it - and everyone respects this...

That's fine with me, don't worry. It was announced months ago, so I guess it only makes sense, but hey Joozey sort of suggested it, so please don't blame me. smile
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/25/09 13:09

Quote:
The deadline still stands on saturday 28th of february. Please send your project(s) before the first of may to contests@joozey.nl .

february? may?
Posted By: VeT

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/25/09 14:09

28th of february, but, as usual, some days for slow-man :)))
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/25/09 14:58

some days? lol laugh
There are TWO (2) month between end of february and first of may!
Maybe he meant march?

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/25/09 15:46

(/sarcasm) Cool so we're getting an extra month after all. wink
(just kidding)

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/25/09 20:38

Err, changed to March :P

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/28/09 22:05

12 hours remaining before the contest is over.
Posted By: VeT

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 02/28/09 22:25

Xarthor, on the work, i sometimes missed when it's friday, so nothing strange laugh

anyway, its interesting to look at the demos smile

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 03/02/09 21:47

The contest has finished on Saturday 28th of Februari, 23:59, Honolulu timezone. Within two weeks the submissions and winners shall be represented here. Keep an eye on the thread smile.

Regards,
Joozey

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 03/03/09 05:15

Err, changed to March :P

err...saw this and thought you had actually moved it to march...but oh well. too late now.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 03/10/09 15:46

Any news on possible winners?

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 03/11/09 07:59

Friday I hope to have all the results and announce the winners.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 03/13/09 19:44

It's going to take at least until Monday, as I forgot I do not currently have an internet connection other than this crappy dial-up.

Apologies for the delay.

Regards,
Joozey

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 03/25/09 09:19

I know it took already two weeks after the contest ended, but it will again take some little longer.

Thanks for your patience,
Joozey

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 03/31/09 20:14

Finally I have assembled the results!

A total of 180 dollar was donated. That means the first place earns 90 dollar, second place 54 dollar, third place 36 dollar. (transfer fees will not be compensated)

Four participants have submitted to the contest:

- King Frog by Mercuryus
- Hedgehogs by LunaticX, Djz
- Blossom Catcher by Dennis (a.k.a. Hellghast)
- Wacky Attack! by Guardian

Shots:
King Frog
Hedgehogs
Blossom Catcher
Wacky Attack!

After all judges wisely choosed their preference through a weighted point division, a tied second place between King Frog and Blossom Catcher resulted in a vote within the jury. And we have come to a decision.

Now, the results...

Wacky Attack! received a honorable fourth place with 2.100 points.
On the third place ended Blossom Catcher with 2.500 points.
Second place is occupied by King Frog as well with 2.500 points.
And on first place ends Hedgehogs with 2.675 points.

My congratulations to all the winners, and thanks for everyone supporting and participating!
Spend your price well in these instable times wink.

Regards,
Joozey

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/01/09 06:13

Congrats to all winners and thank's to the jury voting me on the second place with KingFrog.

Everyone missed to play the frog can download the free game from my web page... (have fun)
www.gameus.de

Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/02/09 05:55

Congratulations to Mercuryus, LunaticX, Djz and Helghast. smile

EDIT: @mercuryus: How did you make the online highscore??

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/03/09 11:32

Quote:
How did you make the online highscore

It's a simple php script called per http.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/03/09 11:44

Can you share it and tell us how to use it, please? smile
Posted By: Quad

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/03/09 11:47

thus it's pretty exploitable?

Originally Posted By: Cowabanga

Can you share it and tell us how to use it, please? smile

it's like there is a php script, you just send http request using a plugin(i guess it was already released to community.)

www.site.com/script.php?score=300&name=quad

php script does the rest?

for getting scores part, he uses a php script wich produces this:
Code:
whine,2009310,1236696850,350,
denis,2009310,1236690516,230,
lolol,200943,1238759215,200,
gameus,2009223,1235411778,180,
joozey,2009227,1235692076,175,
nobody,2009222,1235343329,125,
uli,200941,1238567259,100,
joozey,200937,1236389548,80,
gameus,200938,1236508653,70,

and gets this text data and parses it in lite-c

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/03/09 12:49

so you have fun cheating the simple highscore, hu?

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/03/09 12:52

Oh my... So that was the game's highscore?!
Shame on you :P
Posted By: Quad

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/03/09 12:57

so you have fun cheating the simple highscore, hu?

i was just trying to see if it works >.<

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/03/09 13:05

@mercuryus: Calm down. He was just trying the trick!

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/08/09 05:48

Did anyone of the other winners already got his price?
Joozey seems to be very busy theese days?

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/08/09 08:31

Yes, I'm very busy, and no, nobody got his price yet.
I want to hand the price to all at once for administration reasons, but I'm still missing a reply from lunaticX.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/16/09 21:51

Finally I have assembled the results!

"After all judges wisely choosed their preference"

SORRY dont mean to belittle your english...i just thought that was funny =) congrats to all the winners

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 04/17/09 19:31

i cant get prize money, because Joozey can send them only to paypal and paypal doesnt work with russia =( dunno what to do.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 05/03/09 20:38

Originally Posted By: LunaticX
i cant get prize money, because Joozey can send them only to paypal and paypal doesnt work with russia =( dunno what to do.

Yeah, it's annoying, but in that case he should do a wire transfer instead so the money ends up on your bank account directly. He will need your bank account info, name address and so on. Ah, and he will need to get the money from his paypal account into his own bank account first.

Anyways, congratz, hope this will be solved.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 05/04/09 08:25

I thought I stated in the rules that only paypal would be used, but I can't find it back in my own rules grin. So I guess I'm bound to accept a wired transfer. I will not compensate the fees, however. They'll be between 10-15 euros in total.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 05/14/09 14:03

I thought I stated in the rules that only paypal would be used, but I can't find it back in my own rules grin. So I guess I'm bound to accept a wired transfer. I will not compensate the fees, however. They'll be between 10-15 euros in total.

I'm quite sure that's not true, as it's usually free for internet banking. I've paid 200 bucks to someone in Russia and had to pay zero transfer fees.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 05/14/09 22:35

No, the money on the paypal will first be withdrawn to my account, this costs about 10-15 euro. If I'd pay right away, then what do I do with the money on the paypal account? It's not like I buy a whole lot of stuff online. Nor do I need to make such a sacrifice. The price is collected online, and shall be divided from here.

Bank transfers do not cost any money because you pay for the transactions at the end of the year.

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 05/27/09 21:46

Quote:
Bank transfers do not cost any money because you pay for the transactions at the end of the year.

Not if you're a student. I never pay anything for bank transfers and use it all the time, I buy a lot of stuff through the internet.

Anyways, if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. smile

What happens if you would transfer to another bank account, for example mine or your parents? (i.e. Paying with Paypal ) Wouldn't you have to pay Paypal a fee as well?

I didn't know withdrawing money from Paypal costs money though (I thought they only have a minimum withdrawal limit), at least I had expected that it wouldn't be that much. To me it seems fair the withdrawal costs should be paid by the winner though, after all he doesn't have Paypal which was a requirement for the contest.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 05/28/09 08:01

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX

I'm quite sure that's not true, as it's usually free for internet banking. I've paid 200 bucks to someone in Russia and had to pay zero transfer fees.

are Hitmen that cheap in Russia smirk ?

Re: [$$$] Springtime contest - 05/28/09 11:18

No, but mail-order brides are... wink
© 2024 lite-C Forums